Reviews of The Princess Royal 4 stars

Guildford Road, Farnham, GU10 1NX, United Kingdom

#3 of 13 hotels in Farnham

Better service at reception

Neat pub, We went when they had a gathering of Harley Davidson riders. Quite a spectacle especially as this is not normally my scene.

Food and drink issues..forgot my drink, wrong food order came and breakfast wasn't as described (but no reason given), waited an unbelievable amount of time for breakfast and had to remind them about toast, which came after I'd finished breakfast - it wasn't even busy.

Room great, staff friendly.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

In our bedroom had a green safety light on all night that lit up the room. Really annoying. Could have done with more tea bags.

Loved the fact had fresh milk in the fridge, a lovely touch. Wish more places did that.

I had the fish and chips in the pub, not the best, a I live near the coast I shouldn’t have been surprised! My starter was good and the breakfast was excellent.

Rooms recently refurbished. Very spacious, good decor and great bathroom.

Staff were absolutely fantastic. Every single person we spoke to went out of their way to help us. I’ve never been so pleased or had such a great experimace from staff in a uk hotel.

The strawberries were bitter but that’s being picky.

The rooms were fresh and plenty of parking! There was aircon and a safe and the staff were helpful and friendly especially Jamie who helped us with directions and our breakfast.

The pub is stranded a little between busy roads - but not bothered by traffic noise. The staff for check in check out sit in the bar so can be distracted by bar custom and have a slightly chaotic standard of customer service.

The rooms are in a separate building so no pub noise. The rooms are really large and incredibly comfortable. There was fresh milk for your morning cuppa and a neapresdo coffee machine. Good shower

Friendly staff , breakfast was freshly cooked to order , waitress service and not kept warm . In addition buffet style for croissants and juices. Overall very pleasant and would definitely book again.

• Suite

Arrived on a Sunday afternoon to find the kitchen did not serve light lunches, ie sandwiches on a Sunday. We had booked a table in advance for an evening meal in the restaurant but, when going into the bar, was told that the restaurant was closed and that we would need to eat in the bar area. When the food came to the table it was tepid. To make matters worse, the server realised there was no cutlery so we had to wait for him to find some (food was getting even colder!). When mentioning this to the server who later came to clear the table we were told "sorry about that" - there was no explanation as to why it came up cold. Breakfast was just "okay" but I have to say I have never been served streaky bacon at breakfast in any hotel anywhere in the world! On our return home, the hotel asked for online feedback, which I gave, but there was no apology or contact from them regarding the problems we encountered at meal times. This experience was a great shame as we recommended the hotel to friends and it was embarrassing when the food side of the night away was not good.

The accommodation and the bar area. We had stayed here before so knew what to expect from the hotel facilities, hence our return.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The pub bar staff were excellent, just not enough of them, as the bar was always in a muddle. But that’s generally the way with Brewery owned pubs, the bottom line comes before the customer.

Very large quiet clean room and bathroom. Great shower, super comfy bed and a complimentary beer. Awesome

The evening restaurant staff seemed untrained and disinterested in our wish to eat. Menu enticing but food was cooked/presented poorly.

Very comfortable bed, great facilities including a Nespresso provided. Quiet. Breakfast staff helpful and efficient. Great breakfast

Lack of choice on evening menu meant we only used the restaurant 1 evening. Didn't feel this was value for money.

Location and pleasant room. Quiet location

• Classic Single Room

road noise and air con fan kept me awake

very clean all the facilities even a fridge with fresh milk staff were excellent rooms 27 and 28 a little road noise but amazing value for short stay

I would prefer separate reception area for checking in!

Well run pub although really busy on arrival due to bank holiday. Room 7 and accommodation new and very clean and quiet at back of pub with separate parking. evening meal and breakfast excellent.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

This was an ideal location for my business trip to Farnborough. I could get there in 15 minutes. The staff were very attentive and the service throughout was excellent. The room was comfortable and the breakfast fresh and tasty.

• Suite

The only down point is that there is nothing in walking distance from The Princess Royal, which isn't a problem as you have a lovely pub and restaurant and fab room to stay in, but if you want to explore it would be best to use your car.

The room we stayed in was the Wey Suite and it was fabulous! roll top bath and a bed that was like sleeping on a marshmallow. Breakfast was really lovely as was the evening meal we had at the restaurant. Bar and hotel staff were helpful when we couldn't get the air conditioning to work, all in all a really lovely place to stay.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We had a deluxe room which we found excellent value, and most of all, appreciated the facilities and attention to detail, a lot of which we would only have expected in a much more expensive hotel. For example, a nice touch was the stocked minibar, with some free products - fresh milk (to go with the tea and Nespresso coffee machine, waters, and, surprisingly, a free bottle of London Pride!

Nothing. Great stay

Very helpful staff catered for our late arrival. Lovely room with comfy bed and attached to a fantastic pub with great food and an outdoor area to enjoy the sun.

Nothing really at all

The whole experience ofstaying at the princess royal was very good indeed- from staff, bed, comfort, food. Even fresh milk in the room with mini fridge free water. Nice little tuch. Cannot fault this hotel 5*****

Floor was creaky which didn't bother us much but could have been annoying for the room below us!

A lovely room, great shower and perfect for getting to Heathrow the next morning.

The only thing I can fault which is very small. The bathroom was beautiful but the cleaning behind the taps and around the shower screen were a little poor as everything else was immaculate. Think it’s just been missed so aliitlle Brown.

Veggie breakfast was the best I have ever had.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The bar staff seemed slightly stretched so that occasionally it was difficult to get served, but no big deal...

The room was very uncomfortable, the food and beer also very good...

As an overnight stay on a longer journey we were pleasantly surprised with the properties accommodation; the bedroom was a good size which was much needed given our quantity of luggage, the rooms were clean and nicely decorated, the bathroom was bright and light, and the on site free car parking made life easy!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I find it difficult to find anything to criticise.

The room was well appointed. The king size bed was comfortable. The room was quiet. The bathroom was excellent. Much thought had gone into the planning of everything. The tera and coffee making facilities were good. Breakfast was good and plentiful with a wide choice.

• Classic Single Room

Breakfast service could be hit and miss. Order tea then need ask again . Some girls on staff seemed pre occupied talking to customers when business travellers looking to get served and out quick in morning.The young guy was excellent he worked the tables really well.

Extremely clean. Ease of parking beside rooms. All facilities in room and great showers.

Nothing to be honest. Really pleased with our choice.

Room was immaculately maintained and spotlessly clean. Modern, attractive decor. All facilities provided that we could possibly require, loads of hot drinks plus free water and beer. Breakfast was best choice and quality I have experienced in a U.K. hotel. Very comfortable bed and easy parking. Even entered the quiz in the pub on our second night. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Slight mix up with our breakfast order but was quickly sorted

Loved the room and the nice extra touches ( fresh milk, water and beer!) Excellent value for money The staff were very helpful and efficient Would definitely stay again

• Family Room

The tv didn’t work in the suite. Although I was told the morning of my stay before I arrived they weren’t very accommodating or understanding why a tv might be important when staying with my 18 month old. The travel cot provided had no mattress and or bedding. My daughter was so uncomfortable she woke serveral times in which resulted in Her having to come in bed with me. As a result I didn’t sleep too well the night before my wedding. Staff were a little rude in my opinion they didn’t seem happy which came across in how they spoke to us in the phone and as we arrived.

On the night we went there was a function going on in the conference room, a Harley Davidson bikers meets up, it was lovely to see all their cleaming bikes however I do feel that this impacted on the service we got in the restaurant that night as the staff were very busy .

The room was very smart and comfortable, lovely to have a stocked mini bar with complimentary a London Pride, the nespresso coffee maker was also a big hit for me. Lovely to have large bath towels and a hot clean shower.

• Classic Single Room

Could do with a mirror beside the plug sockets for getting ready. Extra pillows in room if needed

Extremely clean, free bottles water , great breakfast.

• Suite

Although we didn't make much use of the room as we were at a wedding all day so got back late, the room (a suite) was very nice. Furniture and decor were very good, staff were very friendly and helpful (organised a taxi for us on arrival) would definitely recommend

Room was very comfortable with good facilities, liked the individual touches, and the complimentary bottle of 'London Pride'. Food, both in the evening and at breakfast the next morning very good, with service to match. would definitely recommend this Hotel/Pub Restaurant to others.

the Price of the room is too high for what we are getting. Restaurant food was not fresh

the room was of a good standard. Very comfortable bed and good shower room. Very good black-out curtains, so the light in the morning didn't come through

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The pillows are so uncomfortable and free bottled water in the room would have been far better than just one from the mini bar

The breakfast and the service particularly from Molly - she was great.

Night light in hallway of room (soft green glow) could not be turned off other than taking the key card out which deactivates all other lights. It wouldn't bother most people, and certainly isn't bright. (I always come prepared with eye mask so wasn't a problem, but for me it is nice when I don't need the mask).

Bed extremely comfy, shower room excellent, rainfall and handheld shower a wonderful experience, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, handwash, handlotion in large bottles gave a real feeling of luxury, coffee machine, complimentary tea, coffee, biscuits. Room was extremely comfortable, and clean. The breakfast was a very good selection with some special additions - eggs benedict, florentine and royal as well as traditional, and smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, plus others. A real treat. And all included in the price. Thank you. Polite, friendly and attentive staff.

Car parking could have been clearer as I arrived in the dark. Moved my car to more appropriate slot, but not really a dislike.

Homely setting. Very comfortable and very quiet. Accomodation is separate building to pub which also looked lovely for an evening meal.

Real milk in room fridge. An automatic low emitting light in the loo/coffee machine in the room. Staff at breakfast particularly young man who brought breakfast very personable and extra helpful

The size of the bathroom. Why spoil a well furnished and well appointed room with such a small bathroom. I know we don't spend long in there, but felt like Houdini in his box trying to escape. The room size does allow an extra 1 mtr in length, which would have made all the difference. A more serious issue. Access to the rooms from the main area is via a narrow sloping pathway from the rear door. Although there was evidence of salt being applied to the flat areas around the front door, but no effort was made to salt/clear the path to the residential rooms.

Excellent choice for breakfast, served with smile and very tasty, although coffee could have been a little hotter. All in all good value for money, and due to weather we advised we were arriving a night earlier than booked, with absolutely no problem.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was not what I expected having had a good dinner the night before. The pastries were lovely, but the cooked full english breakfast was not great. It was prepared earlier and dished from a hot plate!

I was given a wetroom bathroom at first but this was declared to me up front and I was given the option to change if I wanted to. I don't like a wet floor so I asked for a normal shower - the lady on reception was brilliant! She was lovely and helpful, along with informative and efficient! Dinner was lovely and the restaurant has a nice atmosphere. And the pastries were lovely and fresh for breakfast.

• Classic Single Room

I was a little disappointed in the English breakfast in the morning but it was good to have other things to choose from

The staff were all polite, friendly and professional

Although great choice of hot breakfast, our party of 4 were one of the first down together with low occupancy disappointed that breakfast was overcooked. We were in Room 24 which was on the motorway side, hotel had tried to overcome traffic noise with glazing but still hear traffic. Brother stayed in opposite room 23 no noise. Would not stop us staying again but might not suit some.

The rooms were excellent, well thought out with our favourite Nespresso machine, bed comfy, great shower and although not cheap, food very good. Would definitely come back!

Breakfast buffet was a little limited but cooked options more than compensated. There is road noise from the adjacent A road but the secondary glazing is very effective and good in-room air con means you don't need to open the windows for ventilation.

Good sized, well-appointed room with nice modern decor touches. Complementary water, milk and London Pride was much appreciated! Nice to have a coffee machine and the TV was a good size unit. Top notch bathroom with an excellent shower combo.

Disappointed in the breakfast, it was just okay, but I can't really complain, as it was included in the price which was very reasonable. No fruit on offer, (asked for a banana) and sadly presented poached egg

Super clean room and bathroom. Comfy bed and excellent bedlinen, nice furniture and great to have a coffee machine as well as a kettle and, an especially nice touch, fresh milk in the fridge.

There was a very bright green light in the room which did not go off with the other lights and kept waking me up

It was a very nice hotel and the food in the restaurant was excellent

evening menu in the restaurant was uninspiring. we were hoping for a better choice. The meals we had were average. Could do better considering the cost of the hotel.

room was spacious and comfortable

Great nights stay, very good well thought out rooms, very comfortable bed and very friendly and helpful staff. Excellent breakfast, would certainly return if ever back in the area.

As it was somewhere to stay passing through it wasn’t an issue for us but there isn’t much around so if you were staying I think you would need to drive to see anything.

Clean and comfortable and warm, nicely decorated and delicious food both our evening meal and breakfast were great

Nothing this was spot on accommodation.

The staff where friendly and helpful from arrival to departure. The receptionist, bar staff and waiters at breakfast all very lovely. Rooms perfect very cosy and modern, showers very big.

I would have liked the VAT to be a bit more prominent at time of booking

I didn't enjoy walking in the rain from accommodation to restaurant the breakfast was mediocre and a little lacking in choice

Disabled parking space used by someone who was not disabled. The sausages at breakfast were 'tough'.

Stayed at Princess Royal many times before. Room very comfortable, and Breakfast choice good, though found the sausages not to my liking.

• Classic Single Room

I had an adjoining room and the soundproofing wasn’t that great.

Unexpected surprise, a lovely hotel. Great attention to detail in the rooms and an original hotel. Very nice indeed

Nothing to dislike

All the room facilities were what you would expect of a 5 star hotel - Nespresso machine, good bathroom toiletries, fridge with real milk for tea/coffee and complimentarty water and bottle of beer.

Nothing really. you'd be hard pushed to find fault.

Some nice touches particularly complimentary fresh milk to make tea or coffee in the room rather than UHT. Also a complimentary bottle of beer was totally unexpected! Just thoroughly well thought out in every respect. Oh and breakfast was excellent - quick and tasty.

I hesitate to rate this so highly, as I do not want it booked out every time want to stay. Had a very late weather cancellation on one room and staff accommodated (even though they didn't have to) my request. Great place, great people, great food!

Nothing everything was first rate

Location perfect for my visit - rooms and bar restaurant were first class - all staff that I dealt with were professional and knowledgeable about their respective roles - breakfast had a great choice and was served piping hot

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The bacon, beans and sausage at breakfast were poor

Brilliant room. Large size, large bed,large TV, large bathroom. Bed was very clean and comfortable. Evening meal was excellent

Air con unit blew only cool air even when cranked up to maximum, but as it was for 1 night not really an issue.

All very comfortable, very clean and comfortable bed. Liked the complimentary bottle of Fullers in the room fridge, oh and the little carton of fresh milk and water, nice touch.

• Family Room

Food ordering was a bit laboured - staffneed to get it together a bit more

Excellent in room facilities and nice touches like free bottled water and fresh milk

• Family Room

A little bit of dust on the sofa.

Sue at the front desk was very helpful. Great facility for families with children. Air con in the room, quite new deco.

Nothing i didnt like all i say is is to have proper bacon at breakfast time instead of streaky bacon

Everything was spot on the service and the customer service and our room was lovely and modern and the food was nice

Coming home!

The steak is completely to die for! Such an amazingly romantic weekend, I didn’t want to come home! :) Th staff are amazing, especially the gent who served us in the evening :) We will be back

Breakfast was fantastic with all options and very quick staff attention. Room was very comfortable and clean. Location for my purpose of a family funeral at Aldershot was perfect. 10 min's away.

Quite expensive for what it was. Need a car as nothing really around it.

Room was very nice but the pub food disappointing. Breakfast not a lot of choice for non cooked, more fruit required.

• Classic Single Room

Really enjoyed my stay here. The building is really attractive and well appointed. All the staff were polite and helpful. My room was spacious and comfortable and the breakfast was great.

• Classic Single Room

Located next to busy dual carriageway, although it didn't wake me up, you couldn't have the window open without hearing traffic.

Mini fridge, complimentary items, above average breakfast, comfortable room, thumbs up for the bed. Excellent chippy in town.

Booking.com was more expensive than booking directly Reception and breakfast being in the pub meant an outside trip for anything

Everything was done really well and the staff all seemed relaxed and happy

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The bathroom had very limited room to store kit - no hooks or rails. The two glass shelves on the left of the basin for storing towels had square corners rather than rounded making them likely to knock your head nastily if you were not aware when drying your face for example. No shower cap or flannels supplied which would be useful. The fried breakfast was poor - fatty streaky bacon (no Back) and too lightly cooked sausage. Girl got one of the orders wrong ( trying to remember rather than write down) - had to wait ages for one overcooked egg. Hotel lost out as we did not take up evening meal on either night because of this ! Poor attitude from girl who waited on us at breakfast on the Monday.

A nice quiet location, despite being next to a very busy main road behind the hotel. Room nice size and the extra large bed a bonus. Bath was a useful luxury.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

One drawer handle was hanging off and on our arrival it proved difficult to bring a very cold room up to an acceptable temperature using the wall-mounted aircon unit. There was a draught from the aircon on to the bed during the night. Breakfast buffet was rather sparse and service for coffee and toast had to be prompted.

The room had recently been refurbished and was clean and comfortable. Staff were friendly and welcoming.

Staff need to 'be about' more in the pub to service hotel guests on arrival and departure. Dont notice when we arrive. When having a drink evening mon 10pm we were right next to staff who decided to lay up breakfast tables very noisily! Cd hv suggested another area to sit or done it quieter! Seemed oblivious to us. We cdnt move at that point.

Only 1 slight criticism. Small children running round during breakfast not really acceptable. Felt that staff could have had a quiet word with the parents as uncomfortable for people eating and also dangerous as staff walking round with hot food and drinks.

Great hotel. Very comfortable bed and large television in room.

Upon arrival we liked what we saw. However, we could not get the heating to work in our room. It took several phone calls to reception before they eventually moved us to another room, by this time we were extremely cold and decided to go straight down to the restaurant for dinner and to hopefully get warm. Dinner we mediocre. After all this inconvenience they only discounted our room by 10%. Also the next morning we took a black jumper off a glass shelf and it was covered in dust.

nice rooms, comfy beds, great breakfast.

Nothing except ALL hotels/restaurants seem to think we all want oversized plates cum dishes where all that happens is that the knife slides down into the plate thus necessitating cleaning the handle unless we are supposed to hold our knife in our hand all the time. Doesn't seem to happen with forks!

delicious breakfast and no limitations. Nespresso in room and decent size mugs were bonuses

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Sat on cushions outside which appeared dry initially but were wet, bit of a surprise! but realised in time not to get too wet! Momentary lack of common sense on my part, not their fault.

Loved the charred aubergine dip starter, and vegetarian evening meal option. Breakfast organic yogurts, and tasty vegetarian full English. The staff were very friendly and helpful. No traffic noise in the bedrooms considering how close it is to the A 31. Nice touch to have fresh milk in the mini fridge in our room for tea.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The hotel was very busy for breakfast an the Sunday morning and all guests appeared to arrive together. this meant that the buffet bar was poorly stocked, although it was replenished later. And the coffee was foul.

Lovely room, lots of space, comfy bed and pillows and best of all a Nespresso coffee maker!

• Family Room

The facilities in the room were excellent, superb bathroom and a good sized TV. Safety features were excellent eg night lights for the room and bathroom.