Reviews of Punch House Monmouth 3 stars

4 Agincourt Square, Monmouth, NP25 3BT, United Kingdom

#10 of 12 hotels in Monmouth

Street noise early in morning.

Clean nicely decorated room. Good towels and linen. Excellent staff who were welcoming and helpful. Very good value. Meals good quality and value, half price on one evening.

The mattress was really terrible - one side was so saggy it felt like constantly rolling down a hill. And who would have thought that Monmouth around 4 to 5 am on a Saturday would be so incredibly loud?

Nearly everything was great - staff were friendly and helpful, price was good, room was clean, food was nice, location was extremely convenient.

The shower was slow and feeble and the tray kept filling with water due to poor drainage. It took ages to shower . The locks on the french windows kept falling off each time of opening. The skirtings looked shabby and scratched

The breakfast was excellent having a variety of items on the plate and plentiful and well cooked. also including extra toast , jams and marmalade. We loved the position of the hotel and our room which faced the main street and agincourt square.

- After a long drive we checked in and came straight down for dinner. However, we were told by the person who checked us in that they wouldn't take our order for 2 (15 mins before the kitchen closed at 9pm) because they'd just taken a large table's order just before. Their choice, but not exactly a great welcome considering they were just asking how far we'd driven to get there. - Breakfast was stone cold and very undercooked so maybe a lucky escape.

Comfortable bed Rooms were clean and nicely decorated Good location

• Large Double Room

Sadly the road noise affected our sleep which is something the hotel can't do anything about. Being on the main road had its advantages and disadvantages. It was so easy to step out into the town but traffic started early.

The staff were so friendly and went out of their way to be helpful.

It is in the middle of town and can be noisy - but that's what you must expect if you want to be in the centre of the action!

Service/staff - excellent.

Very busy sunny weekend day...maybe more bar staff would have been good.

Staff very friendly and room very comfortable with great view over the marketplace

First hotel I have ever been to in over 50 years of global travelling which insisted on full payment before I was given a key or had seen my room. Very odd? Bedroom and en-suites were clean, but corridors make it look like a doss house. No parking is a negative.

Cooked breakfast was good and 'fat free', fried bread was available even though it was not on the menu. Lady serving breakfast was very pleasant.

Menu

The building is old and they have done an excellent job sympathetically modernising it. Menu limited as is the beer choice. Staff were all excellent and very friendly.

The location of the hotel is a downside, no car parking so extra cost there and rather noisy being roadside through the town.

Our room was lovely with a large four poster bed. The staff were exceptional, friendly and helpful.

The late night street noise was an issue, but then it is a town centre hotel. I found it expensive, for the room we were given.

Staff were very accommodating, polite and helpful

Waited a while for breakfast and when it came out it wasn’t particularly warm. Stayed in a twin room but only given one set of keys so wasn’t ideal when wanting to go out and do different things.

Very clean room with a nice view.

• Large Double Room

no real issues. We were a bit disappointed that the breakfast was served tepid, and soon went cold shame really as its all obviously cooked freshly. It was a really nice full welsh breakfast, very appetising and a good hang over cure !

just a quick one night stop over for a friends wedding, all went well. Really helpful staff and sorted local taxis out for us

We love the ambience....the rooms are really nice , the pub is comfortable and we certainly enjoyed the food. But, Pete would have liked more than half a mushroom for his otherwise good breakfast.

• Large Double Room

The bed was a bit too hard for my liking. There was a mix up with our breakfast going to another table so we had a long wait but it was very good when it arrived.

Cosy with lots of character including a 4 poster bed! The breakfast was very good. Location extremely convenient as we went to a party next door.

Room overlooked the street so inevitably there was some noise. Glass in window not double glazed. Municipal van (sweet sweeper?) came by very early and woke me up.

Comfortable clean room. Hot shower. Lots of character. Great cooked breakfast. Convivial pub atmosphere. Located smack in the middle of Monmouth so convenient for restaurants, etc. Free parking in nearby public carpark from 5pm to 9am.

Lack of staff to cook breakfast 1 morning so had to eat elsewhere. Very poor sound and thermal insulation of room - on reflection, to be expected in such an old property. Staff laying full length on settee, claiming to be ill.. Repainting in breakfast area is surely a DIY attempt.

Location. Old style property, Good bar and beer.

The breakfast we were not that impressed with. Tea and coffee were great and the cereals. But the full English breakfast wasn't the best. Black pudding rock hard, mushrooms like cardboard, bacon very overcooked.it was as if it had been left on the side.Couldn't find anyone to tell. Which was a shame.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room very clean and spacious.

I have stayed here 3 times now, all fine until it came to the the food. Evening meal I chose steak, this came with dried out salad, my plate was covered in liquid from the steak, soggy chips due to this and very fatty. Breakfast, I ordered poached eggs on toast, after 35 minutes of waiting I had to leave to get to my meeting so can’t comment on that really. Staff apologised but I had to run.

Rooms are spotless and comfortable, bathroom nice and modern. staff who checked me in on my last stay 10-1-18 were great, after discovering the Heating was not working he quickly changed my room and left me to it. I would stay again but based on the rooms only

• Large Double Room

The fact that the manager said we should expect to have a broken window which lets in a draft and noise and rattles as its an "old pub" also said theres nothing he could do about the broken tv. Never again currently awaiting a response from brains. Un even floor in room cracks in walls broken tv and window

One female member of staff absolutely brilliant.

The pubs itself was empty - which is strange as it's a lovely pub and best location in town. Could only be the staff that let it down as they were not too friendly

Great location in the heart of the town

Shelf missing above the wash basin, which was a shame. At breakfast the coffee was not very appetising and the scrambled egg a bit strange, but the breakfast service was very helpful and professional.

In spite of being one adult, I was given a double room with a good view of the pretty town of Monmouth overlooking Agincourt Square. Very comfortable, clean bed. Large clean en suite; good shower. Staff exceptionally friendly and helpful. It seemed quite empty - such a shame as it's a lovely old building with considerable history.

The room was cleaned to a high standard .but considering that this is one of the gate ways to Wales .I think that brains need to spend money on the room we stayed in and rectify the light bulbs not working .sockets not fitted properly and 'rehang the mirror

The location was perfect . The staff first class

TV signal was bad, not a very good view, a green light we couldn't turn off in the room, and a knocking every twenty seconds, sounded like pipework??

Room was very cold on arrival. I would have appreciated someone explaining it was up to me to put the radiator on when I was shown my room. I was disappointed with my evening meal and unfortunately no one came to ask me whether the food was ok. Breakfast was very basic, no fruit, yoghurt and a limited choice for cooked.

Room was clean and bed comfortable.

The main drawback was getting off the wretched A40 into Monmouth, with only one poorly signposted exit, and then having to go miles before getting back. We were not the only ones to fall prey to that, apparently. As for the Punch House, we would be very happy to stay there again.

Really liked the atmosphere, which was partly due to the lovely happy friendly staff. The place itself is well thought out, and done well with simple but quality fixtures and fittings. Admittedly we had Room 4, apparently the best room. Food was good, and it actually had an interesting breakfast menu - not often you can say that! Parking was convenient in the public car park behind the hotel.

Mugs instead of cups ( am a big tea drinker ) though the cups werent too small.

The guy who checked us in was very helpful and gave us a lovely room with a four poster bed. Free wifi was brilliant, room was huge, good welcome pack ( with biscuits ) all toiletries, just a lovely place to stay, we would stay again 😊

Quite noisy outside room 2 (single room), from outside the premesis.. Not much on offer for evening meal for vegetarians!

Friendly staff who were great in helping with our queries and problems. A very good value breakfast (for vegetarians and non vegetarians). A great location.

The shower didn't drain so well. Brand new as it was. Home fireplace was so nice, TVs. Internet router could be placed higher up on the wall to get better reception.

Everything was lovely, everything was done when we asked for anything to be done.

Awful customer service eg staff ignoring us on arrival and at the bar, cold breakfast on day one including a nasty, cheap, disgusting sausage, half an hour wait for breakfast on day one too. No loose sugar for the cereals on either day unless requested. Mirror detached from the wall with a note saying this had happened the night before - clearly untrue given the note was obviously old - why not simply replace it? Poor quality Brains SA bitter - which I was advised would be changed - it wasn’t. All in all the staff had no customer awareness and were simply not interested or poorly trained. I will not stay at a Brains establishment again and recommend you remove them from your site.

The location of the hotel.

Although the property in general was good and I had a fair night, I would like to draw the attention to the following points: 1) dead flies in lamp shade directly above bed 2) toilet seat did not stay up 3) single pane glass windows made for a loud night with noise of traffic 4) breakfast menu stated that eggs could be served anyway I liked but the editor never even asked how I wanted eggs cooked 5) There seemed to be total shock and awe that I dared ask for extra toast. Good place but failed on some of the finer details.

They were unable to provide a cot. There was no car park near by and parking was difficult as it was a busy Saturday day and the closest car park was holding a market/car boot so we were unable to use that. Therefore we had to double park on the main road to unpack the car and take everything into the accommodation. The next morning at breakfast not only us but we over heard 3 other tables had incorrect breakfast orders or in my brothers case were waiting quite some time and it was then cold.

The room was lovely and was nice and clean. They had some tea and coffee in the room but no biscuits and no glasses to have a glass of water The property itself appeared to be in the centre of the town near the shops although we did not go into the town itself.

Noise off the road. Can wake you up in the morning. As it is a listed building i think double glazing is not so easy. Dependson the room you have.

Nicely renovated rooms. Good size. Good breakfast.

Everything was perfect for us. No complaints.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. No parking specifically for the hotel but parking was located 2 minutes walk away. Free after 5pm till 9am the next morning (Free on a Sunday!) so very ideal. Breakfast was tasty and rooms were clean. Nice location in the centre of Monmouth.

The rooms were very noisy, could hear everyone in the accommodation above and beside us. The mattress was very old, ‘sprinngy’. The breakfast was horrendous, waited 50 minutes and when it arrived it had clearly been sitting on the hot plate for 30 minutes. I don’t think the staff are performing to well and would encourage the owner/ landlord to look closely at the staff and the clear inefficienties that no doubt is impacting your reputation and profit

When we checked in we were given no explanation of facilities, breakfast times or check out times. Breakfast was a similar situation with lack of info from staff. Thankfully we noticed the cereal bar and helped ourselves. The cooked breakfast was ordered and seemed to take ages to arrive. When it did arrive items were missing and it was at best luke warm. It felt like we were an incovenience to the staff. My parents had stayed the previous night and ended up finding a cafe for breakfast after waiting almost an hour for breakfast and if I hadnt have had to pay a cancellation fee, I would not have stayed the night i was booked in for based on their experience.

The property was a nice period property , the facilities were clean and comfortable.

Everything particularly the lack of breakfast

Room had at least 3 cobwebs in it The cold tap in the bath would not turn on Nearly every floor board creaked Breakfast on the second morning was only lukewarm verging on cold Had to wait for the second days breakfast an uncomfortable length of time but better that the first days breakfast which took almost an hour and got them completely wrong and never made the table we left along with another six people and went to a cafe/restaurant at the other end of Monnow Street

Parking is only available in a public car park near the hotel, but it was not too far and was free overnight from 5pm.

It is a very old building in an old town but the facilities were modern. Staff were attentive and helpful the bed was very comfortable. I had the tradional Welsh breakfast whichcould have veen hotter but was otherwise fine.

A bit tricky with a push chair to get up the stairs A few general maintenance issues with the room but nothing that affected our stay.

Very accommodating friendly staff. Very good breakfast Comfy, spacious room Reasonably priced and tasty menu

Very average breakfast - streaky bacon ( I only eat back bacon as streaky bacon is more fat than meat) and cheap sausage , black pudding over cooked and not just out of the tin baked beans

Location, comfy bed, friendly staff, clean

all good

Excellent food and lovely staff xx The location was perfect for our trip. Walking distance to everything we needed. Beautiful local walks and taking a cool drink just down by the riverside on a sunny day, just perfect

Breakfast orders between several guests got mixed up resulting in delays. Staff apologised up front, but it hit the quality. By the time it’d been sent back for the right eggs, then to have part of the standard breakfast put back on that another customer had asked to be removed, it really needed a new breakfast cooking fresh - original items were cold and dry; but I’d run out of time.

So nice to have a proper bed and not two pushed together!

The TV in the room had poor reception and limited channels - but we hadn't come away to watch TV!

This is a quirky little hotel right in the centre of Monmouth. Do not book if you need a lift, flat floors, wide doors or high ceilings! But if you want character, very pleasant and helpful staff and a very nice breakfast, then this could be the place for you. Car parking in the local council car park is free from 5pm to 9am and all day Sunday, so fits in well with a weekend break. The hotel is owned by the Brains Group and we choose their properties whenever possible following good experiences elsewhere - and we were not disappointed here.

Facilities were just adequate. Small, disappointing twin beds in a small room located over bar, which had loud music well into the night on a Saturday night. Ate in the pub, which was just okay. Apparently now corporate owned (S. A. Brain), and it does not have the same level of attention as a privately owned facility.

Stayed at the Punch House during our walking tour on Offa's Dyke Path. Location was good, right in town on route.

Shower was not a power shower and lacked that strength

Location was excellent right on the high street, our room looked out on the high street, but there was no excess noise in the evening, however the street sweeper was out early on the Sunday morning. There is no parking, but there is a public car park directly behind the hotel which is free from 5pm and all day Sunday. The breakfast was for me one of the best I have ever had is this type/style of accommodation

Food hotter, better service.

Location was fantastic, right in the centre of town.Food was average and sometimes the breakfast was luke warm, on one occasion we were not refreshed with milk and tea in the room and after asking twice at 1800 hrs and 2000 hours was told that they could not get this to our room as the bar person was the only one on duty.It was delivered outside our door after I had retired for bed.

Attention needs to be paid to overall decoration. Small spaces make faulty fittings, I saw two, or sub standard decoration all the more noticeable. Decor could date within a year or so. Why oh why do the staff of pubs feel the need to have trashy pop music blaring out, especially at breakfast - really unpleasant ?! Keep the music to early evenings only and then discreet and good quality - gentle piano, guitar, jazz NOT vocals.

Nice plain traditional pub/dining area. Historic feel. Good plain pub food. Very good service. Central location overlooking the most important and attractive square in the town.

Food was a bit slow coming out.

Rooms were lovely and cosy, the bed was very comfy. Breakfast was delicious and I was very happy with the vegetarian options.

The main window was poorly fitted and the room was very draughty. It kept rattling loudly in the night and had to get up and stuff paper in it to deaden the sound. I ended up having to put a tissue paper in my ears to get to sleep. Had a poor night sleep. Room 9. Reported it to the management.

Service at Breakfast was poor. Although the food was tasty it took over 60 minutes to be prepared and served. The restaurant only had 7 customers at the time. This was a shame as the rest of the stay and service was very good.

Location. Efficient staff at check-in. Good size clean double room.

We had to sleep with the windows open and it was quite noisy , but I must admit that we were aware of this problem from previous reviews. Mattress was not the best but not horrible. Uncooked breakfast was a bit basic they could make a better effort adding better cereals and fuit

Decoration of the room was great Room and bathroom were super clean , very impressive . Location is perfect very near to everything Staff is very kind

The food. Horrible 'instant food' curry. Not wanting a full breakfast we asked for bacon and eggs and tomatoes and were given only two tiny rashers of streaky, half a tomato and an egg. Effectively a full English without the sausages, hash browns, beans and mushrooms. Very skimpy. No extra blankets in the room and it was a bit chilly. No advice about where to park. Had to ask bar staff to book in, after waiting at reception for long enough to be noticed.

Well situated. Friendly staff. Very clean.

We chose the hotel/pub because it appeared to be centrally placed. The downside was it was extremely noisy from very early in the morning, street cleaning, deliveries from the parking bay under our window, etc. Staff were very casual on arrival. Our room was large but our friends room was like a cupboard, so stuffy that they had to leave the window open. On our first morning, the breakfast chef slept in and didn't appear until 9am and a party of walkers had to make do with cereal. The breakfast, when it did arrive was terrible. What wasn't overcooked - eggs, bacon, etc. was under cooked - toast etc. We waited so long - even though we were the only people in the dining room - that we declined anything further. We therefore did not eat there in the evening. We are not normally negative people but would certainly not stay there again.

Very little

• Family Room (3 Adults)

No hot choc drink in room, only 1 packet of biscuit for 3 people. Not a problem though, just a little more attention needed from the staff.

Very comfy and clean beds. Breakfast ok, not great.

On arrival the staff member was clearly fed up and made no attempts to hide this. Breakfast was a much smaller menu than advertised with lack of available items such as mushrooms and hollandaise sauce. The room did not have soap as they had 'run out'...this was a completely unacceptable response which should have been rectified.

Overall most staff were friendly and helpful and food was good quality.

Unfortunately there is live music on Saturday night ( not advertised) aswell as Friday. Had we known we would not have booked this hotel. The band could be heard in the front bedroom but not the one we also had at the back. Breakfast buffet was also very disappointing. There was an extremely poor limited selection outdone by every B and B / hotel I've been to. A good cooked breakfast took over 45minutes to actually come. There was clearly a problem but nothing was communicated to us so it was difficult to be sympathetic.

Lovely stylish and spacious rooms. Great bathrooms. Very comfortable and the view from the front room was lovely. We had a very good welcome from the staff on our arrival.

some staff rude and couldn't be bothered, left alone to find breakfast seating area didnt know where to sit as no tables were laid no staff to greet or explain where juice was etc certain lady member of staff was full of bantering sarcasm thinking she was funny when she called us the fussy couple as i cannot eat smoked bacon or anything cooked thats been near a smoked product i am the least fussy eater ever but have an allergy this is very unfair and quite hurtful, no beans left so i couldnt even have beans on toast instead! days later i had a phone message to say we hadnt paid and they would take the payment again from the card if i didnt get in touch asap so i phoned back up straight away to explain we paid on arrival and money had left my partners account the man who i then assumed was the manager said fine yes they see payment was done no apology, nothing, no organisation what so ever

view from the room, breakfast cooked nice some staff very friendly

Room9 facing town square had window that could not be closed. Sash window was not working, noise from people in the square kept us awake until late, should not have been let without prior warning of problem.

Nicely refurbished room

TV didn't work. Wi-Fi wouldn't connect. One light in room didn't work. No nets / blind and on busy road so had to draw curtains for privacy. Very noisy outside til 2 a.m but it was festival night so probably not a regular racket.

Clean and cosy room. Good shower. Friendly staff.

Curtains didn't slide on rod. Making it difficult and time consuming to close for privacy at night.

Clean and steeped in history. Modern bathroom. Tea making facilities in room. Windows that open - fresh air.

Bar stopped serving at 7/8pm (Sunday evening) and the sun was out, would have enjoyed a last pint on the lovely terrace which is on the town square... perhaps bottled drinks could be offered to guests?

Quirky shaped rabbit warren building and room - which I like a lot, exposed timbers etc...

When returning to the hotel at 10pm found a group of staff moaning about their hours and was told bar was shut and that she couldn't help the licensing hours. So we went to the pub opposite. Same member of staff served breakfast. Ignore the selection on the website. Actual menu v limited. Service was slow. My poached on insipid toast looked like they had been dropped from a great height. Was offered butter which came in an already used pot. The entire stay was... well... basic.

Lovely Receptionist. Excellent location in the middle of town.

TtHE ABOVE ,Better customer service.

The Yv was not working and although the young lady at reception said that she would get the Manager to fix it it just did not happen.After a long tiring drive I was looking forward to unwinding in front of the TV..NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE PRICE CHARGED!!!!

• Family Room (3 Adults)

for an old building the hotel is in a decent state. the windows rattled a bit though not enough to disturb a good nights sleep but a decent coat of fresh paint on the doors would not go amiss.

excellent breakfast, good bar and friendly and helpful staff.

No parking but fortunately free overnight parking in a public car park near by. Breakfast was extremely slow & the hotel simply didn't have enough staff. It's run more as a pub than a hotel!!

The hotel has an excellent location but that's where it ends!!

Really enjoyed my stay; clean and very nicely decorated large room in a small and cute town. Friendly staff.Great value for money! Would go back, no doubt!

Monmouth struggles to cope with traffic in the centre and the town square where the hotel is situated is noisy from 5.30am through to 11.00pm Breakfast was a little sterile in atmosphere but the staff were friendly enough. The floorboards and bed in the room was a little creaky and squeaky which wasn't a problem for me but I would guess that it irritated those staying in the room below us

15th century buildings to admire, canoeing on the river wye. walking and cycling in the wye valley and forest of dean. Enough pubs around to find a beer of your liking and enough to eat

It's with regret I've rated this lovely little quaint place as only a 3! Nice little hotel/pub with very clean guest rooms. Lovely breakfast, and friendly staff. Service was a little slow and restaurant untidy but a certain lady by the name of "Britney" was rude, obnoxious,and spoilt our stay with her attitude!

Been told that pack lunches would be left out for us but yet again been left down again by a brains hotel So will be avoiding these hotels in the future

Absolutely nothing.

The rooms we were given were absolutely lovely. we adore Monmouth already so will never have a bad word to say about it. Breakfast was very nice. Will definitely be returning and hopefully get the same rooms

The lighting in the room was very poor. Only a central light and the bedside lights were working. The central one lacked its full complement of bulbs

Nice large room. Pretty quiet for a pub in the centre of the town

Lovely room with dual aspect and overlooking Agincourt Square. Good bathroom and plenty of tea and coffee supplied with the kettle. Very clean. Nicely decorated in modern style but in a period property. Helpful staff .Highly recommended.

Attitude of manager Tv not working Dinner was inedible

The cleaning lady was very helpful when we arrived for breakfast at 7.30 the time we were told breakfast was served from by the person that booked us in she tried to wake the manager up and then after a good half an hour she again tried to get the manager down only to be told he was ironing his short.

The toilet didn't flush properly. No bulbs in wall lights. Only decaf coffee. No spoons. No towrls initially. All these things were remedied eventually but niggled to begin with

An old building in a lovely part of the country

The room was not very clean and the wait for breakfast was annoying. How can it take 40 minutes to serve breakfast to a few residents? Staff in general seemed very laid back.

Good location in town centre (despite no parking on site).