Reviews of Radisson Blu Hotel, Durham 4 stars

Frankland Lane, Durham, DH1 5TA, United Kingdom

#3 of 13 hotels in Durham

• Standard Guest Room

Firstly the pre payment was not explained clearly when I booked and I stated I was not the main passenger so when my parents arrived they told us the stay had not been paid for yet all my details were took! Secondly the bed was 2 singles put together which was not comfy. It also wasn’t made properly didn’t have any throw or extra pillows to go with it. We were told it cost extra for room with a river view but this is a lie as I have stayed here and my room had a river view without requested. Lastly, after finally taking the money out my bank they decided to charge me an extra £30 a night £60 in total on top of the stay to secure this booking as I wasn’t actually there as it was for my parents and I’m still waiting for this to go back in my bank. Overall the value for money was not great and service wasn’t great!

• Standard Guest Room

You do have to pay for parking but it can get added on to your overall bill and was around £10 (forgot the exact amount) for 24 hours so not too bad as you are in the city centre. Staff members were knocking on our door before checkout time to see if they could come in and clean yet.

Amazing hotel! Checking in the staff were lovely and so helpful. Hotel is in a great location. Free access to the pool area which is a bonus. Free WIFI throughout the hotel. Room service available looked really good but we didn’t use this so can’t really comment on that. We will definitely be returning!

• Standard Guest Room

The room was nice, was towards the river and had a nice view. The room was also quite spacious and was at an ok standard. Breakfast staff / reception staff was friendly and up to the standard, which you would expect. Breakfast buffet was good, although a bit more choice would help.

• Superior Room

Service was a little begrudging, especially at breakfast.

Good location, short walk into the city. Everything was more or less as you would expect from this chain of hotels. Room was nice and quiet.

• Standard Guest Room

Small room for that price, basic shower. breakfast was overpriced and chaotic with empty food tray and far too hot plates. TV not working properly.

Nice view of the river from the room, close to city centre and only 5 minutes by taxi from Durham train station. great swimming pool with steam room and dry sauna and Jacuzzi.

• Standard Guest Room

The breakfast was not good. Looked unappatising and was very cold. Did not stay for breakfast on our last morning. We had a deal were it was included but if we would have had to pay the price was well above the quality. Unexpected for a high class hotel.

Location and the friendliness of the maintenance staff.

• Standard Guest Room

Breakfast waitress was not pleasant she could have smiled and look like she enjoyed her job No vegetarian hot options Felt rushed and was tutted at for asking for more coffee

Reception staff were extremely helpful. The leisure facilities were good Rooms are fantastic

• Standard Guest Room

only problem is the noise from adjacent building site. We asked to be moved to the far end of the hotel and a very helpful receptionist did just that.

• Standard Guest Room

Not great WiFi and since i went for business this was crucial for me...

Clean hotel and my room was quite big for just one person. I didn't have the chance to try the breakfast but from what i've heard it's pretty rich and good. Great location for anyone that wants to go for vacation.

• Standard Guest Room

The hotel was very nice in particular I would like to offer congratulations to the staff at reception. In particular Linda who was very helpful, she was exceptionally nice and very thoughtful. The hotel are very lucky to have such excellent staff. Thank you.

• Standard Guest Room

The air conditioning didn't work. I couldn't sleep and had to change rooms the night before my wedding. The air conditioning was also poor in the room I was moved to.

Good view before I moved rooms.

Nothing all is great

Bacon could be more cooked, accommodation great, and staff, stayed here a good few times and is an excellent retreat and for the city centre.

• Standard Guest Room

The bar is ridiculously pricey £22 for 2 double gin and tonics is very steep.

Fab location, very clean. It was our anniversary so we asked for a room with a view and we got just that, along with some cake left in our room for us!

• Standard Guest Room

Despite requesting twin room set-up we arrived to double bed. This was quickly sorted for us though.

Great healthy options choices at breakfast alongside standard ones: wholemeal rolls, fresh fruit salad, seeds, cheeses, radish, pickles, sun-dried tomatoes, hot-smoked salmon - yum!

• Standard Guest Room

Having to pay for the parking £9 for one night stay. This wasn't stated at the time of booking.

The room was very spacious comfy bed. Door key wouldn't work but the staff dealt with it efficiently. Great location close to the river and an easy walk to the centre.

• Standard Guest Room

Room was too hot- note to not open windows. Fridge did not work- asked 4 times for it to be fixed and still did not happen. Pool was freezing. Business lounge only open 5:30-7pm- we weren’t told this and missed it meaning we missed out on the 6 complimentary drinks. Staff on the reception did not seem to care that I had complained 4 times about the fridge and did not even apologise at check out.

The bed was very comfy.

• Standard Guest Room

Booked in via Booking.com 2nd May, but ended up with a "Disabled" room, as this was the only room left! Parking is on a first come first served basis, which wasn't clear when I booked.

• Standard Guest Room

The food left in the hall way from peoples breakfast was there all day until they were move, when we were in and out the were glasses and empty bottles where people had had room service and put their empties in the passages. These were not removed regularly however it may have been guests should not have just dumped their empties in the hall way. Just another little inconvenience you could not get channel 23 on TV which is the craft channel I view regularly.

Great location, staff friendly and a lovely view to of the river.

• Standard Guest Room

The convenience of the hotel to the town centre. The staff and overall comfort was lovely. Plus we got a great deal for the weekend, especially it being a bank holiday.

• Standard Guest Room

The pool/spa facilities were great and the staff were always friendly and helpful. The breakfast was fantastic and really good value for money. The hotel is in a great location for walking into the town.

• Standard Guest Room

Tea and coffee. Inconsistent tv. reception. Being continually asked by house staff -"ARE YOU LEAVING TODAY?"

Well located. Good food. Breakfast excellent.....especially the cold, smoked trout! Nice room. Go to Wharton Park just a few hundred metres walk/drive for serenity and superb views!

• Superior Room

A couple of obvious stains on the room carpet and the window sill could do with a clean as it looked like something had been spilled on it.

Extremely quick check in and very helpful receptionist. Excellent location. Would totally recommend it.

• Business Class Room

Booked a double, given two singles, not good value for money. In the end I relocated to the new Hotel Indigo I find the Radisson Rewards system unfair generally as they take back points if unused for a year, other chains don't do this and the New Hotel Indigo in Durham allows me to make a choice in Durham when reflecting upon that unfair system

Good Facilities including pool and gym although the pool and gym are busy as open to locals, helpful staff

• Standard Guest Room

Milk in the room was off, fan in the bathroom came on intermittently (particularly at 0300hrs!) and television worked for only 5 minutes at a time. The window to the room was directly above air con units which prevented opening the window for fresh air.

The room was clean and tidy and staff were welcoming

• Standard Guest Room

room too hot, couldn't get air con to work, not a very common problem most of the year in Durham though. spa showers and facilities are tired,

Great staff very friendly and helpful.

• Standard Guest Room

The food we ordered ( room service) very bland, extremely limited wine selection at bar. Coffee at breakfast terrible. Our room was very hot- aircon not coping. When other guests left in the morning their doors made a lot of noise

Close to town, lovely river view, good size room Good breakfast choices

• Standard Guest Room

There was an event on in the evening that noisily went on very late in the night. When I called to reception (at 11.30pm) to ask when it might finish as it was too loud to sleep, I was answered by one word “Midnight”. Then the phone was put down on me. I did not have a very good night’s sleep. Needless to say I won’t be staying here again for business. Breakfast was less than average, based on staying in other Radisson Blu’s. It was hit and miss if you were offered a hot drink and I was never asked if I wanted any hot food from the menu options.

The room was clean.

• Standard Guest Room

Two single beds to make up our double ...?

Staff were very efficient and friendly , checking in was nice and simple and the breakfast was excellent had something for everyone.

• Standard Guest Room

The hotel was very pleasant, my room (216) had a beautiful view and was delightfully quiet. Breakfast was excellent, staff helpful and my stay was very comfortable. The room was hot to begin with, cooled quickly with aircon.

• Standard Guest Room

The bed and pillows were like concrete. We both woke with back ache and stiff necks each day. It did spoil the stay in what was otherwise a great hotel.

Loved the convenience of the hotel being so close to city. The room and bathroom were immaculate. The late breakfast times and check out times were a massive bonus also. Breakfast was a little expensive but good choice available.

• Standard Guest Room

Breakfast organisations was a little disjointed - Needs to been more "Lean" you had to duck and dive somewhat - The scrambled eggs where very runny one morning, to be fair everything else was fine and plenty to go at - Staff were great and work well to their remit.

Very helpful staff - Our room was very clean and it had a good shower

• Standard Guest Room

Only thing I could complain about was the building site next door. Noise but when finished will only make the area better

The location was perfect and are room had the river view

• Standard Guest Room

The check in facility is very poor we were misinformed by the 1st receptionist who said we had to use our payment card to have an additional £30 per night added to our bill which would be returned if we did not use the facilities. When I questioned this with another receptionist she said it was wrong of her to charge this and it would be corrected however when checking my debit card the £90 was taken out on the day we arrived. We were later told when leaving it would take 3 to 7 working days to be returned-this is completely unacceptable and we will think twice before making another booking

• Standard Guest Room

Being charged £9 per night for parking was ridiculous Never in my travels around the world have I experienced a charge like this I would recommend future travellers to stay at the Premier Inn close by at a much cheaper hotel rate, just as convenient and pay their smaller parking fee and far cheaper hotel rate I do feel ripped off and will log the same on your web site such a pity to spoil our stay in Durham John Wilson

• Standard Guest Room

For some reason it was impossible to switch off light above mirror in room. Even a (very obliging) member of staff could not manage it. End result: bulb had to be disconnected, which meant a major source of light was unavailable when required.

• Standard Guest Room

The hotel is in easy reach of the centre of Durham. Overall we had an excellent stay. Unfortunately there is a lot of building work going around the hotel but it did not interfere with our stay.I am sure when finished it will be an even better place to visit.

• Superior Room

Nothing could be improved on.

Breakfasts were very good.The staff would cook anything that wasn't on the extensive buffet.Evening staff were equally warm and helpful.

• Superior Room

The bed was terrible as it split in two parts. The supper was poor quality

Full English Breakfast, well designed and appointed bathroom, staff attitude

• Standard Guest Room

Lack of signs for finding things such as the leisure complex. No information about the hotel in the bedroom.

Pleasant and clean. Swimming pool great. All staff in hotel very friendly and polite. Plenty to choose from for breakfast, but cooked breakfast could have been hotter.

• Standard Guest Room

The food at the restaurant was not great and not cheap and normally when I book through Booking.com it includes breakfast which this didn't.

you can leave your car parked for up to 24 hours (so after you check out!).

• Standard Guest Room

Towel in bath room had make up all over it ! Unfortunately I only realised this as I wrapped it around myself following a shower, I telephoned reception and they apologised but I found this horrififying and didn't trust that the room had been cleaned so had the worst nights sleep ever. We had our wedding reception here 4 years ago so therefore have stayed a few times but not sure we would stay again now :(

• Business Class Room

The bar in the lounge was hard to get service. There was a member of staff floating around but kept dissapearing meaning it was quite a wait to get the drinks. Could do with having larger milk on tables for tea and coffee.

Stephanie Moore reservations manager was an amazing help. I had reserved a large number of rooms for my wedding and she was fantastic when trying to group them all together and taking the worry off my hands. Also the breakfast was perfect everything you could possibly want. Excellent service.

• Standard Guest Room

I was unaware that I would be charged a £78 deposit for my stay. Not only is £78 a large amount, but the person behind the desk couldnt understand that it was charged to my bank and not 'a holding charge'. Firstly I should have been told this was going to happen. Secondly, it shouldnt have happened in the first place.

• Standard Guest Room

Check in staff were not as cheerful as past experiences Wasn't advised of any facilities etc to use luckily we have been before Room cleanliness wasn't the best. Still had previous users socks on the floor.

quick check out Small selection of cakes left for Birthday

• Standard Guest Room

Some staff were rude within the leisure facility area. Breakfast apppeared very disorganised, though you could see the staff were trying their very best with how busy it was. Breakfast was good quality ingredients, and a vast variety of options available but the "full English " options were very cold which was disappointing. Also in our room, the bed was two single beds pushed together to make a double. not the double which was requested

The leisure facilities were really good. The room was very spacious and very clean Plenty of wardrobe space. Nice lighting in the bathroom. Bathroom very clean, room was very clean. Friendly reception staff, and bar staff

• Standard Guest Room

No bath robes in room even though we were told there would be ! asked reception and they said they would send some up ......still waiting ??? Guess no bath robes left! only a minor point everything else was excellent

Excellent room staff very friendly

• Standard Guest Room

'Double bed' was 2 hard mattresses pushed together, housekeeping only changed sheets once in 7 days, never topped up tea/coffee, air con didn't work, shower continuously went hot and cold, had to call twice about broken remote control, got evacuated due to fire alarm and no explanation given.

They did cater for us when a family crisis meant we had to change our dates. However, our original booking had breakfast included and this meal plan wasn't included when we changed our dates.

• Business Class Room

Room was really hot even with ac on max, breakfast on weekday didn’t have much choice of cereals (Friday) Saturday morning was better.

Really good location, close to cocktail bars and shops, we had a river view with the cathedral and castle in the back ground.

Just a better view

Breakfast was great value for money..if anything would have liked a room with a better view we were near the power grid..but someone has to take them..great position would definately recommend staying

• Standard Guest Room

Fire alarm went off in the middle of the night, wasn’t a great start to our stay The room was quite noisy from the corridor Restaurant very expensive for what you get

The room was lovely, clean, spacious and comfortable and the view was amazing! Staff were very friendly and helpful! Located right on the river side with a very small walk to restaurants and the city centre and the cathedral which is very lovely to look at

• Standard Guest Room

The shower was slightly inconsistent in temperature, and the sink was cracked. The air-con was quite difficult to control (and had no instructions). But despite that the room was clean and pleasant.

The bed was comfortable, the staff were friendly, and there were plenty of parking spaces. The breakfast was pretty good, though it was expensive by comparison to local cafe prices, so we ate breakfast in the city after the first day.

• Standard Guest Room

Pool staff were rude when I asked for a towel upon entering the facility.

Breakfast was great, All of the staff were amazing and friendly with my 6 year old son. great location in the centre of Durham.

• Standard Guest Room

The car park was full when we arrived mid-afternoon on a Saturday. We had luggage so did not want to park up the road. A space subsequently became available, but that was our one quibble.

The location on the banks of the river and in sight of the cathedral were excellent, the bed was Zvery comfortable and the room was well laid out. We enjoyed good meals in both the restaurant and bar

• Superior Room

Great location to see Durham, not too much walking. Beds were comfy and room rate good. The staff were friendly and helpful. I’d definitely recommend this hotel to friends.

There was only 2 tea bags so one cup each was very limiting

The room was very comfortable and clean with good facilities and with complementary cakes to celebrate my husbands birthday a lovely touch well done!

• Standard Guest Room

No shampoo and only 1 lot of body wash Pointless cost savings! Cold parts of breakfast which should have been hot e.g. Mushrooms

Environmnent and staff

• Standard Guest Room

Showers in leisure centre not brilliant, poor pressure and floor felt a little grubby. However, the pool was very nice and with separate lane swim

We stayed in twin rooms overlooking the river, nice sized rooms, comfortable beds and very peaceful even with the windows open. Bathroom clean. Hotel staff very friendly and helpful. Perfect location 3 mins walk to town centre, 8 mins to train station

• Standard Guest Room

That residents pay £9 for parking per night. Ridiculous. That we had to walk out in the cold to go for a swim as the internal link corridor was blocked off for a function. Radisson is not cheap for people to be treated like that. That's expected of a cheap caravan site. So disappointed.

Comfort cleanliness

• Standard Guest Room

The King size bed was 2 single beds pushed together and they were very hard. The fan in the bathroom stayed on constantly and kept me awake all night.

• Standard Guest Room

The room was immaculate and over looking the river Wear which was lovely. The pool and spa facilities were very well maintained. The breakfast was amazing and the staff were so lovely and helpful. Its just a short walk to the shops and theres lots of bars and restaurants too.

• Superior Room

There was only 1 dressing gown the ventilation in the bathroom was very noisy. And when we told the girl on reception in the morning she said you should have come down and told us it was 11:00 pm

• Standard Guest Room

Loved the room but bed and pillows were very hard so never slept too well. Would of been nice to have complimentary bottled water and biscuits for what you pay for the room also should be free parking.

I’ve stayed at this hotel twice now because it’s in a great area , very clean and big rooms and also a fantastic breakfast and I love the spa , the later check out gives you time to have breakfast and a swim before leaving.

• Standard Guest Room

Cooked breakfast was a little tastless No fried eggs ,beans or scrambled egg left when we came down

comfortable bed well appointed room Good view of river wide choice of tv channels staff efficient and helpful

• Standard Guest Room

Pillows were hard a job to get comfortable/ but the bed was really comfy so don’t know what happened to the pillows

Room was nice/ clean water topped up regular towels replaced often

• Superior Room

I think for one nights stay in the superior room for the price of £150 was very steep as we expected more than just your average standard hotel room. I feel like the room wasn't as described and was not ready at check in although we had a complimentary drink and the view of the river from the room was nice but our stay overall was average. The restaurant was quite stressful and not really a place we could relax as there was staff in and out the kitchen slamming the doors and rushing around everywhere although we did go at a busy time I still feel this could have been helped. Also no bath robes at the spa.

The location was good and the river view from our room was lovely to look out on.

• Standard Guest Room

Generally is quite expensive. Bar didn’t have any draft lager on and was supposed to be open 24hours but this was dependent on how many people were in the bar and therefore closed when there were only 3 people left.

Good gym and pool facilities. Clean rooms with good facilities.

• Standard Guest Room

Swimming pool changing room showers were not bad but could have been cleaner and a minor thing, but the towel hooks didn't work well.

The room and bed were very comfortable, staff were friendly and very helpful and the hotel is in an excellent location. Would stay there again.

Had to pay xtra to park

Great staff, restaurant on site was good, location perfect for walking into town. It was a treat to stay in a modern style hotel with upmarket amenities for a change. Super wifi. Great value for money.

• Standard Guest Room

Bar staff seemed rushed and distracted, despite there only being two customers at the time.

Great location just five minutes from Durham centre. Nice spa and pool facilities too.

• Standard Guest Room

I think it is appaulling that you pay to stay at hotel and then get charged additional for vehicles to be in car park. This cost us an extra £18 just to stay in the hotel.

dont change a thing

Unbelievable food was awesome staff were quality and room was unreal I would recommend you upgrade to buisness class the price is a no brainer I stay in a lot of hiltons and sister hotels this outshines the lot

• Standard Guest Room

We couldn't use our free 6 drinks after 7pm !

Fabulous room, with a large very comfy bed and lovely outlook. Would reccomend it and location was perfect for restaurants and bars. Will be back. Shame the receptionist did not tell us that the free 6 drinks we were given had to be used by 7pm, as when we tried to use them at 10.30 we were refused by the barman.

• Standard Guest Room

I think it was a bit much to have to pay for parking albeit at a reduced rate. Breakfast was already an additional cost but there was a substantial choice.

Good, central location. Friendly, helpful staff and good food.

• Standard Guest Room

Restaurant was over priced. Food was lovely but my husband ordered a steak for our anniversary meal. That is literally what he got, a steak with 2 mushrooms and half a tomato. No chips, veg or salad. And this at a cost of £30. Shocked to say the least.

The hotel was lovely and clean and the room facilities fantastic. Offered an upgrade to business class which gave us a stunning view over the river. The staff were more than friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay again

Room service breakfast was cold at 6.30am

Great large, spotless, comfortable rooms with everything needed. The Spa was a great bonus (pool, sauna, steam room. Quiet.