Reviews of Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh 4 stars

The Royal Mile, Old Town, Edinburgh, EH1 1TH, United Kingdom

#25 of 138 hotels in Edinburgh

• Standard Room

Nothing! It was all excellent.

The first and last time I was at this hotel was over 30 years ago, when it was a Scandic Crown! It has lost none of its charm and character, is still up to the minute, wonderfully peaceful, especially considering that it is on the main street of Scotland's capital and there are pubs all around! The bed is almost too comfortable, you sink into it and don't want to get out. Open windows in the morning all the way through to the evening are fine, but for a quiet night's sleep, I do recommend closing both the sash window and the secondary glazing; they block out all noise from the street. Breakfast buffet is terrific, huge range, very fresh and top quality, or you can also order things from the a la carte. Staff were wonderful, special shout out to the lovely young chambermaid, Christina who has only been in Scotland (from Spain) for about 4 months, absolutely charming lady! Reception and restaurant staff excellent, efficient, professional and friendly and also good with a bit of banter when they recognise a guest who likes to chat. The pool is tiny but most hotels in Edinburgh don't have one at all so it is great. I used it on the Monday morning to ease tired post-marathon muscles and it was ideal for that. All in all, a wonderful weekend, thank you!

• Standard Room

Struggled with the shower, could not adjust the shower head.

Fantastic, beautiful, comfortable room and bed. Loved you can request pillows to your preference. Wonderful location. Spa and pool are a great bonus.

• Superior Room

Size of room, missing fridge and weak restaurant menu.

The whole hotel was clean and the staff were excellent. However, the reason for our visit was our 25th Wedding Anniversary. Before going, I ordered a bouquet of flowers and chocolates. Flowers arrived at the room, chocolates did not. After reporting this, we received the chocolates and a complimentary bottle of wine the day after our anniversary. Also, for a superior room, it was quite small and lacked a fridge. The door stop in the bathroom was located on the floor exactly where you step out of the bath causing a sore foot. However, it was a great stay and the staff made up for the small misgivings.

• Superior Room

There wasn't anything I didn't like.

I actually loved everything about this hotel. I would specially thank Mr Lau for his kind hospitality n being so helpful. I would like to thank the hotel authorities for such a warm welcome, the beautiful welcome card n those simply wonderful cupcakes. We were so touched. Thank you. Me n my family would definitely return back to this hotel in our every visit.

• Superior Room

We stopped in the bar after dinner on the night and it was littered with empties and dirty plates. I think they may have been light on staff due to the bank holiday!

Room was brilliant. The bed was amazing!

• Standard Room

Price was very expensive. However, Edinburgh marathon was on and therefore the city was busy and all hotels had higher than normal pricing. Breakfast not at all remarkable. Hated the queue to make your own toast!

Bed was super comfortable. Room was very clean. In a busy street yet the room was silent. Great location in the centre of Edinburgh.

• Superior Room

The sauna and steam room could be improved - overall not a very high end feeling. Massage was great though!

What a great experience! Friendly staff, clean rooms and unbeatable location! Just to give some examples of the excellent service - 1) I asked at reception for late check out and despite the hotel being heavily booked I received the requested extension for free. 2) One evening my in-room dining was delayed and didn't have to pay for it.

• Superior Room

Most of the staff were great, the room service staff, we had the same one for our stay, in particular was fantastic. But one member of staff, unfortunately didn’t get a name, needs more training in how to address customers.

Excellent location on the Royal Mile. Very clean. Comfortable.

• Superior Room

No walk-in shower. The window is fairly small so there isn't a lot of natural light.

Facilities excellent and many nice touches in the room and elsewhere in the hotel. Location ideal for our needs. For a change, power points wherever needed. Good lighting. TV (although the on-screen guide is often useless). Excellent breakfast buffet.

• Superior Room

Everything was excellent, the location, the room, the views from the room, the kindness of the staff. Excellent reception staff, very kind and helpful. The bed was magnificent, the breakfast was glorious and the waiters very diligent. In this hotel you can find people who speaks your language (Spanish, in my case) and helps you find your way.

The hotel is the perfect central location on Royal Mile making a 2 day trip easy to experience Glasgow.l The hotel itself is what one would expect from a Radisson Blu... mediocre staff with almost no helpful knowledge or area suggestions, decent bar area, etc. but the rooms are clean and comfortable and the location couldn't be better! Side note; The fire alarm went off at 8am forcing us all to evacuate with no announcements, etc...

• Standard Room

Excellent place! Noting to complaint about. When we forgot some jewellery in our room and the next day called them, they found and posted it for free back to our home address. Thank you!

• Superior Room

Comfortable bed.Lovely welcoming touches.eg tablet etc. I was at a meeting for a week and it was 10 min.walk.It was nice to relax in after a long day. I was staying on my own and never felt uncomfortable.

• Standard Room

Everything about this hotel was perfect!

Friendly and courteous staff. Breakfast was amazing. Perfect location for exploring Old Town and the Royal Mile. Would highly recommend the Radisson Blu in Edinburgh.

• Superior Room

The aid conditioning system was not easy to control - had to seek help for this

Spacious room with a bonus of a window which can be opened for fresh air overnight 😊 Very comfortable bed and additional pillows on request and promptly delivered. We’re not fans of UHT milk supplied in tiny cartons but were delighted to have a ‘fridge in our room where we were able to store fresh milk for the duration of our stay.

• Superior Room

Hairdryer was not great in the room we were in. We also didn't get the sleep mist until we were about to check out.

Great hotel in a perfect location. Staff were really friendly.

• Standard Room

Very good location and staff very helpful. The rooms were good although the wardrobe was awkward in relation to toilet door. On the whole stay was excellent and food varied choices.

• Superior Room

The location of the hotel could not have been better. It was at the bottom end of the main street leading up to the castle and only minutes away from the station where we arrived. The checkin process was hassle-free and check out process was instant. The room was nice and clean and the pillows were excellent. The room included slippers and robes which was a great touch.

• Superior Room

No fridge in the room and the hotel provides only one bottle of water per room which doesn’t make sense when it’s a double room. Not a big deal but it just make me feel like they are under cost savings policies somehow.

The location!! And I appreciate the idea that we can choose our type of pillows which I always have problems when staying at hotels. Staffs are very helpful and friendly. Easy parking within the hotel building. Nice and comfy bed!!

• Superior Room

Pool a little small. Breakfast menu (to order) very good, but buffet offerings rather meh.

Superb location. Spacious room, good bed, excellent protection against street noise. Dine in menu excellent (the haggis spring roll was a highlight) with very fast service. Quick check in / out.

• Standard Room

Ordered bottle of wine and it wasn’t cool had to sit with it in a bucket of ice for it to cool..still charged full price ( very overpriced anyway)

Very friendly helpful staff

• Standard Room

We arrived early so our room wasn’t ready for us but the consierge took our luggage for us. We were also upgraded to a business class room free of charge. The bottle of beer in the room was a nice touch. We had a good nights sleep and the breakfast was really nice.

• Standard Room

Our room seemed to be opposite a storage cupboard which inevitably led to cleaners constantly banging the door open or closed, so sleeping in was impossible.

Really good size bed, lovely little view, massive room. More notably all Staff interactions were one of the best experiences, from checking in, any information etc.

• Standard Room

Took 15 minutes for the reception to find us a room, there was only 1 packet of broken biscuits in the room and the first night we were woken up by the noise outside. We complained and were moved for the second night of our stay. The second room also had 1 packet of broken biscuits with 2 people staying.

The room itself was nice and the breakfast was good.

• Superior Room

Room good-sized, real king bed was comfortable. Bathroom was very functional and shower was good. Staff very friendly and accommodating. We had them do some laundry. It was done well and returned a little earlier than the promised time. The location is outstanding. We only did the breakfast one day but it was excellent with a lot of choices.

• Royal Mile Suite

The room was palatial! The location was dead center of the city; right on the Royal Mile within walking distance of all of Old Town. The staff was friendly and accommodating. Whenever I'm in Edinburgh, this is the ONLY place I'll stay!

• Standard Room

One of the best desk check-in experiences I've had. Really attentive and very welcoming, with up-grade to Junior Suite. Thank you, Igor! You were a star. The suite was excellent and at 50m2 really huge. The bathroom was set up for disabled access and use, but that wasn't an issue.

• Standard Room

The light switches in the room are very confusing, resulting in the random flipping of switches to get the desired lighting.

A nice sized room and a comfortable bed. The breakfast was very good, lots of choice and delicious.

• Superior Room

The room was a wonderful size for three adults and a child. The location was perfect so close to everything. Room service was surprisingly extremely tasty.

Amazing location

• Standard Room

The price of the alcohol was extortionate. I was a bit shocked when I received my bill in the morning.

The room was lovely, as we had been upgraded to an executive room. It far exceeded my expectations.

Can’t think of anything.

Dinner in your restaurant, waitress very good and food excellent. Only one little comment, more tea/coffee in the room without having to request it. Otherwise the room perfect.

• Superior Room

The changing facilities in the spa really let the hotel down. It was unclean and very smelly

The service in the hotel was great. Good views of the city

• Standard Room

We used the hotel car park. On leaving I walked down the stairs and at the bottom of the stairwell there were a number of used needles. I told my husband to mention this as he was checking out and the receptionist seemed disinterested.....£12.50 for the parking too.

Great location! Room was clean and tidy and the bed was very comfortable

• Superior Room

This is probably not an issue for 98% of people but I travelled with my older parents and they struggled a bit with some of the facilities.

I think the location is amazing and saves a lot of money on taxis. You can walk to most of the attractions in Edinburgh. I also thought the quality of the food was excellent and the fish and chips some of the best I have ever had. The staff was also friendly, especially in the breakfast area.

• Standard Room

The only fault is that the breakfast didn't give you a vegetarian sausage option, but to be fare I have never had this option in any hotel I have stayed in and there was plenty of other food to choose from.

The room was spacious, clean & comfortable. The pool & steam & sauna room where relaxing and calm.

• Standard Room

Walls are paper thin, could hear every word clearly from the couple in the next room talking at a normal volume. The whole place kind of feels cheaply restored then nicely decorated. Like a fancy travel lodge. Fine for an overnight, I wouldn’t want to stay there on a holiday.

Super comfy bed.

• Premium Room

Gave this as a gift for my dads 60th, hes always wanted to stay here we booked him the business call room and when got there for about £40 they upgraded to the junior suite and they absolutely loved it. as it was his 60th he had a bottle of win put in his room as a little gift from reception and then after they came back from a walk there was a complimentary bottle of champagne from the housing team i think it was they were blown away with such generous gestures they said it was just outstanding and will certainly be back.

• Standard Room

Breakfast was very nice. If you couldnt find something to eat then there was something seriously wrong with you. Only on Tuesday morning I think we were forgotten and my porridge was only warm but it was okay. But my sisters eggs were hard boiled and so we had to wait for soft boiled eggs.

• Superior Room

Nothing to complain about.

Upon arrival we was given a bottle of presence as it was our 22nd anniversary the room was lovely just a little noisey at night but the town is busy on a Saturday. We decided to stay another night as the town is beautiful and we was give a different room this one was huge a the views where outstanding. Love this hotel and would definitely rebook next time.

• Premium Room

For our quick stay in Edinburgh, it was nice to be in a location that had so much within walking distance. The business class room was incredibly comfortable and spacious. Breakfast was lovely and we especially liked the pancake machine!

• Superior Room

Decaff coffee, the only reason we did not give coffee top marks. One of us drinks regular coffee which was great but the other drinks decaff which was not.

Room, breakfast, service and complementary extras. We celebrated a birthday and anniversary whilst there and received a room with a view which we had asked for, if it were possible. Also a bottle of Prosecco on ice on arrival which was a welcome gift with a card. A lovely surprise! Also the hotel could not have been in a better position in the city.

• Premium Room

Lack of noise control in room corridors - at times in the afternoon doors slammed at times every half minute in close proximity to room 264 - not good for a wee nap after lunch. May have been proximity to cleaning hub and small lift to car park

The help from the staff - they are excellent. The pool s a usefull addition to a city stay. The city centre location allowed easy trips to Calton Hill, the Gyle, Scottish Parliament and the Royal Yacht Britannia.

• Standard Room

Far too much offered for room service breakfast so wasted a lot of food.

Everything! Such a comfortable room and bed was just heavenly! Loved the dedicated desk area and layout of room.

• Standard Room

Receptionist on arrival was awful. Told me a twin room meant a double bed!! Very miserable & unhelpful. A shame she was the first point of contact. Perhaps she needs a little training. All other staff excellent.

Food at breakfast and evening in restaurant excellent. Lovely modern, clean room.

• Standard Room

The location was great right next to where our 3 day tour let out. The bed was very comfortable. We only slept there and caught the train the next morning but am interested in staying at a Radisson again.

• Royal Mile Suite

The size of the Turret suite living room was amazing. Being able to park the car in a secure car park attached to the hotel gave peace of mind. The quality of the food at the buffet breakfast and dinner in the Itchycoo Bar was excellent. The location of the Hotel in the old town was perfect as you can walk to most major must see attractions and perfect for the festival theatre.

• Standard Room

Would have eaten other meals at the hotel but found them pricey.

Lovely large room. Comfortable beds and pillows. Excellent breakfast selection. Knowledgeable helpful staff. Perfect location.Very handy for the station, tour buses, local buses and within walking distance of the Castle and Museum.

• Premium Room

Breakfast was not as good as the Radisson Blu in Krakow, Poland. It seemed a bit disorganised and both mornings the staff took ages to take our drinks order.

The room was very good, large and comfortable. The hotel even put some chilled champagne in the room because the stay was my husbands 60th birthday present from me.

• Standard Room

The room we had was just as expected and had everything we needed but just wasn’t clean enough. Clearly a celebration had been going on in there before hand and there was sellotape stuck on the mirrors and wall art. The huge plastic wall art above the bed was also really really dusty. For that price I’d have expected it to be spotless. The drinks tray had also not been filled up and we had been left one previously opened and half drunk bottle of water.

Location was spot on for exploring the Royal Mile and tour buses. Room was modern and stylish with everything you needed except bottled water.

As the hotel is located on the main street. You might hear some noise outside at night.

The staff was so kind. We stayed there on my father's birthday and the hotel gave us a bottle of red wine. Breakfast was sooooo good. I cannot get enough having a breakfast there. My fav dish is avocado on rye bread with freshly squeezed orange juice. The location is good. But don't get fooled by Google maps that it's a couple of minutes walk from Waverly Station. It is but needs to take steep steps in an account as well. If you have large luggage, taxi is the best way to get there. It will be exhausted dragging luggage along the steps.

• Standard Room

The hotel mentainance is not done properly as I got a first room with the entrance dor broken and in the new one I got looked inside bathroom as the locker was defective. There is a bad smal in the room as the rooms are not properly aerated. When you arrive is very cold and it takes time to get your room warmed.

location, nice staff, good breakfast, clean

• Superior Room

bed sagged towards the middle. Only 1 small bottle of water per day ( between 2 people ? ) No milk in the room for 2 of the 4 nights we stayed ( apparently ran out ! really ? ). Unfortunately shares a road with 3 all night club/pubs . Very noisy , till 4am on every single night ( mon to fri )

Very pleasant and professional staff at all times. Very clean. Very modern . Excellent central location.

• Superior Room

The shower could have been better by having a curtain to block the water going out the bath. The room and bathroom also had a bit of smell, caused by the water, which could have been better.

The breakfast was fab. The leisure centre, bar food and service was all amazing.

• Standard Room

It might be a little thing, but my partner likes a coffee and for some reason the hotel didn't provide milk with the tea facilities - and didn't bring any up after asking twice. This meant my partner nagged me for the 2 night we were there and puts a downer on the experience. And yes she is a cunt.

Awesome location, nice and clean with very friendly staff. Great décor.

• Superior Room

Upgraded on arrival for modest cost but room was not as described. Offered bottle of wine rather than move room - which was OK but, no water in room and took ages to have delivered. No hair dryer either - again, ages to be delivered.

• Superior Room

It’s a bit over priced for us for what you get with parking fee on top . Also if I am being picky I would have liked the beverages filled up and the dirty towels removed as well as making the bed daily. Clean towels were given but dirty remained. This could just have been an error though because everything else was done ✅ Would also have liked biscuits in the beverage tray but as I said that’s me being picky

Breakfast was excellent, staff friendly and helpful. Building at times was dirty but the hotel was full and you can’t follow people around 😀 Room was characterless like a posh Travelodge but location was perfect.

• Standard Room

I had a connecting room with another couple (did not know them) and it was a disaster - with various issues - staff on reception did not handle it well at 2 am in the morning and I was made to make it was my fault when I wanted to leave the room - and then when I checked out the staff admitted issues and if went back to check on the couple - made excuses to me why they could not refunded me when I only had 4 hours sleep - staff need training on customer service and hotel polices changed

Rooms were clean and bed was comfy. Size of room was good. Second room I stayed in was great

• Standard Room

There wasn't anything I disliked I really couldn't fault this hotel

The hotel including the room had really nice modern decor,the buffet breakfast was delicious the bed was comfy,the staff were well trained,they were very efficient, friendly and knowledgeable,I requested prosecco to be waiting in the room fora surprise for my husbands 50th birthday and to my surprise the hotel had also given us 3 complimentary strawberry cupcakes and a nice little card, which was a nice touch!we really enjoyed our stay and we would definitely recommend it

• Standard Room

Ordered room service, waited 40 mins only to find order was incorrect. Poor quality food from the children's menu. Would not pay the money next time.

Great location. Stylish rooms and friendly staff.

• Standard Room

Struggle to find car parking at blackfriars Street when roads are closed nearby. No fridge/mini bar in room. Noise created by the bars nearby ie Street fights, people screaming for long periods in middle of the night.

Facilities and location

• Standard Room

No refrigerator (we went there April). The bathroom ventilation fan is very low powered (low suction power). The payment process is complicated and not straightforward.

Location, modern luxurious design rooms

• Premium Room

The hotel doesn't look much from outside, even though is great from inside.

Great location. Great breakfast. Good size rooms (business class rooms). Very helpful and polite staff. Upon request we got the rooms together. Bathroom mirror had a heated portion so that it didn't fog after a steamy shower. Room had a electric kettle and complimentary tea bags, coffee, bottled water. Room also had a round pin electric socket and USB charging socket to help travellers charge their devices without the need of travel adapters.

• Premium Room

The Business Class room was over priced for what we got, I've stayed in many hotels for the same price as this, in major cities in other countries, that were much bigger. The bathroom was tiny and the shower was pathetic. Also, we stayed in a 3rd floor Business Class Room overlooking the Royal Mile, there were 2 pubs below us that were noisy, we had earplugs, so were ok, but would've been a problem without them. The hotel was built in the mid nineties, so should really have better sound proofing.

All the staff we encountered were extremely pleasant and courteous, a real pleasure to deal with. The bed was very comfy. Location of hotel was brilliant.

• Standard Room

We could not get adjoining rooms, but they gave us rooms side by side, which worked out great.

Location Location Location. You are in the middles of everything. Opt for the amazing breakfast included, which is fresh and has a great variety. The omelettes were fabulous. Room is spacious, bed is comfortable and shower pressure was perfect. The staff was helpful and friendly.

• Superior Room

Lift to car park broken, had to carry bags up and down several flights dirty waterlogged stairs. No help offered from staff

Bath didn’t drain, hairs in bath

• Superior Room

I booked this stay for my parents as it was their silver anniversary. I left a message to the hotel asking if there was anything they could do to the room as a nod to their 25 years. When they got to the room, there was a bottle of wine, some chocolate covered strawberries and a card with a message from the staff. This was such a lovely thing to do and its very much appreciated. Thanks Radisson Blu!

• Standard Room

The staff were so friendly and extremely helpful The young girl who works behind the bar (Olivia I believe her name was) was so helpful when we wanted to no an extra little bit about the cocktails The beds were so comfy and big

• Standard Room

Food in the restaurant took nearly an hour to come. Car Park was flooded. Unfriendly staff in the reception area. No water nor frigobar in the room. Overall too expensive for what it was.

Comfortable bed

Totally happy

Location was fantastic. Every member of staff was polite and genuinely nice. Really nice bar with good choice of drinks. We didn't eat at the hotel but the food looked good. Spa facilities were excellent. Delighted all round!

• Standard Room

Great hotel in a great location. Very comfortable bed and the staff couldn’t do enough for us. Had a great night and will definitely be back for more.

Location was great and Hotel was lovely.

• Standard Room

Breakfast was disappointing. They had run out of sausages with 45 mins left of service. Several of the breakfast trays were empty and refilled at different times . This also happened on my previous stay here so I think it is a regular occurrence. I spoke to the manager at breakfast and she took our room numbers but did nothing about it . The girl on reception was very helpful and provided drinks vouchers however I would still have preferred a decent breakfast

The bedroom was lovely and very comfortable.

• Standard Room

This is great location for distance to everything, but unless you like to stay up until 2 am, this may not be the property for you. We have several early morning tours and found it hard to get a good nights sleep. There were clubs/ multiple bars across the street, so it was extremely noisy until they closed at 3 am.

• Standard Room

I do not have any complaints and cannot fault anything about the hotel

Bed was unbelievably comfy and room decor/ lighting was great and looked fairly nodern. Also I proposed to my girlfriend during ny stay at the radison blu and my parents phoned up the hotel to send a celebratory bottle to my room and the hotel told my parents that they would pay for it. Which in my opinion was a great touch.

• Standard Room

Can’t think of anything I didn’t like

The bed was super comfortable The staff were friendly Long time options for breakfast -excellent Pancake machine 24 hour menu options

• Standard Room

Shower wasn’t very good. Staff weren’t particularly helpful. Also since we had stayed over Easter, the reception had a small box of live chicks on display. I feel very uncomfortable that these 6 or 7 chicks were on display in such a small container and were being used for young children to play with. Surely this is animal cruelty. Put a huge dampener on our stay at this hotel.

The location was fantastic; perfect for what we needed it for and parking on-site was very helpful.