Reviews of Holiday Inn Express Crewe 3 stars

Macon Way, Crewe, CW1 6DR, United Kingdom

#10 of 15 hotels in Crewe

See above

The staff at check in were very helpful and friendly. Later when we rang down for some items missing from the room despite saying they would bring them up they never appeared. The room itself looked quite grubby and in need of being decorated, although the bed linen was spotless the shower room needed a good clean. When we went down to breakfast at about 9:15 there was no bread or croissants hardly any hot food left and the tables were either full of other peoples dirty plates or dirty and no staff around to ask about this. We had to get help from the desk clerk who was very helpful.

Surrounding area of building is full of litter (probably the nearby McDonalds is one reason) cigarette tray were not emptied once during my 6 night stay. That’s disappointing a bit. Bed is too soft. (Found food underneath the bed from previous tenant)

Staff are very friendly.

Location is excellent for the railway station but the hotel suffers greatly from being adjacent to an all night drive-through MacDonalds. Even the double glazing can't keep out the noise of boy racers, horn tooting parties and inconsiderate taxi drivers leaving a door open to listen to messages from Control while they take their time eating in the car park! Wifi access also proved problematic, but very helpful staff on Reception resolved the issue in part.

Very attractive Art Deco style hotel with lovely decor and large windows. Staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast better than expected with a good selection on offer. Public areas attractive and spotless. Stylish modern shower room in bedroom and nicely decorated toilets in public area.

• Double or Twin Room

Everything was great,no complaints at all. Anyone that complains about the hotel,staff,food or anything must have stayed in a different place. One last thing, the food was excellent, the amount of people helping themselves to two or three helpings is testament to that

• Double or Twin Room

The hotel staff seemed very young and were sat around talking the breakfast was a disaster with no hot food and no cuttlery

Room was basic but comfortable with good shower but again two people staying and only one teabag and no sugar and milk in room

• Double Room - Disability Access

Pedestrian access is tricky as there is no proper pavement past McDonalds. It is only designed for vehicle access. Third floor very noisy on the Saturday night as there was some type of domestic dispute.

Stayed on a Friday and Saturday. Left too early on Saturday morning to get a breakfast. Had a breakfast on Sunday morning.

• Double or Twin Room

Be careful when booking a 'twin' room. The instructions from Booking.com to the Hotel seems to get muddled/misinterpreted somewhere along the line, as the Hotel had me down for a double despite specifying a twin on-line. After a few moments silence and the Manager arriving, a twin room was found, despite the Hotel being nearly full. Sorry booking.com, but the Hotel's response was to say book direct with them! This does need sorting though between the two parties and not left until the Guests arrive. The only practical problem in the Hotel were the Toasters in the breakfast room/bar. I think they have seen better days! Those wanting a purely continental breakfast might be disappointed by the range on offer.

Up to the usual high standard. Clean, tidy rooms and a good 'private' bathroom (no silly semi opaque windows in the door). 'English-style' Breakfast (included in the price) available and OK. Great location being just a few minutes walk from the Railway Station. Free 'i' newspaper available, which for me is great as that is what I read. Food is available in the evening, though we chose an alternative venue.

Stop the van hire company from blocking the hotel parking bays assigned for hotel guests.

Stayed with my mum for a family event. We had a clean comfy room. The weather was a little warm so we had to ask the reception staff to help with the air con to make the room cooler and he was really friendly and helpful. This made for a lovely nights sleep. Breakfast was very tasty with a wide choice including traditional bacon and eggs, various cereals, toast, muffins and croissants. On demand coffee and juice was also available. We would def stay again.

A couple of things in the room, like a bulb had gone in the bedside light and the shower tray took ages to drain.

Very convenient location for what we were doing over the weekend. No problem about checking in a little early on the Saturday.

No ice for drinks. Had to ask for more breakfast food to be cooked as no-one was keeping an eye on it. Orange juice was obviously diluted down on the Sunday morning. One toaster was only partially working and the other burned the toast. Rooms could do with a freshen up.

Location was good, close to station, easy access to motorway and where we needed to be.

Room was very clean and with a very comfortable bed, a nice shower and ample tea/coffee supplies. The location is ideal for Crewe station being 5 minutes away,the breakfast was also good along with friendly staff,very good value and recommended.

• Double or Twin Room

I didn’t like the shower you need to bring a mat with you or you slip and slide around and the young girls that work there rather lounge around on the sofa and walk off from the desk than help you and when you do need them you can’t find them

I liked the night staff could not fault them very helpful and pleasant

• Double or Twin Room

The Staff could have been a lot more helpful and polite. I have stayed in many of the Holiday Inn Hotels and this one was the worst and has let down the name.

The bed was a bit too soft and was a little uncomfortable. The breakfast was ok but the sausages were undercooked.

It was close to the motorway and the rooms were a good size. The staff were helpful and friendly.

Only thing I would suggest is NEW TOASTER'S are needed. It took an age for toast to be made and I had a queue of people waiting behind me.

Great size of room with a good bathroom with walk in shower. We had asked for a king sized bed if possible, the bed we got was enormous and very comfortable. Best we have had in the many hotel's we have stayed in. The room was at the back of the hotel looking over a bowling green so was was very quiet. The staff helped with everything we asked of them and were friendly, breakfast was enough for us with plenty of choice.

Uncomfortable mattress. Dirty & stained cutlery & plates.

Spacious room. Big bathroom & walk in shower was great. Good full english breakfast. Wifi was also good.

On arrival we were told there was a sofa bed in the room which wasn’t the case also we were told the bar was open 24hrs we arrived back at the hotel at 11 pm to be told the bar was closed Breakfast was between 7 and 10 am however on arrival at 8:45am we were told that they didn’t have all the things on the buffet and what was there was of poor quality

Absolutely filthy hotel? Dirt, dust and broken facility every room you go to, worst hotel I ever went too, I would never come back again, staff were appalling, every room I was shown was either had broken facility of just disgusting? Nasty hotel would never come again

Nothing at all

Heating ventilation system racket, filthy walls, floor, hard bed, attitude of reception staff. Dirty bathroom on closer oddly enough have just come to post one of the many videos I made of the room and they have all vanished off my phone!

Location to my own home, 24 he McDonald's, garage open until 00:00 but that's all outside the property. Inside staff to young to know what to do with disasters or issues that arise. My first room balcony doors wouldn't open, stuck fast. So put me in next room where balcony doors did open but walls were completely splattered with God knows what, bed was like an ironing board and the ceiling fan heating system in room making noise like aircraft taking off, tractors running, even when switched off it was making a racket and kept switching itself back on. Rang reception told them, he told me leave it on.And that they didn't have any more rooms again, to speak to staff at reception when I left in the next day. So when I had checked in had explained recently out of coma and I really needed some peace, they understood but clearly not enough. I wasted £59 not getting any sleep in a room with a running tractor/aircraft, that kept me awake until 5am ISH when my medication kicked in and knocked me out. In a room they claimed cleaned that had all that stuff over walls and floor covered in stains etc, at least I could sit out on the balcony to get away from the horrendous noise in the room itself. Bathroom looked lovely, closer inspection reveals nasty stuff. Go finally that day as it's 5am ish when its my later check out time to reception expecting some kind of apology or gesture of good will. Nothing at all. And they had me as checked out when my room was requested for later check out of 2-3pm the night before upon my arrival. Would stay again for location, but only when they have sorted out the heating ventilation system. It is not reasonable to expect customers to sleep in rooms with the aircraft/tractor sounds which also shake the floor and bed. Especially not after customer explaining how important quiet, rest etc was to them at the moment.

• Double or Twin Room

Unfortunately despite having an evening meal menu, nothing (except pizza) was available during our stay, due to 'unforeseen circumstances'. We would have eaten there on Friday night, but instead had a brilliant and value for money meal at the nearby Crewe Arms Hotel. I did ask the Hotel for one request (the usual regarding duvets), but it wasn't met, so I did it myself!! On the Saturday the heating in the room was turned up very high after our departure at 0545 and on our return at 2345, the room was very hot (the thermostat said 24 degrees). Had to open the window to get some cool air in!!

As with everywhere I stay, location is important. Having no car, being near to the Railway Station is vital. This Hotel is only 5 minutes (ish) away from Crewe station. Good twin room with sufficient space. My colleague said it was one of the best showers he had encountered. Good breakfast choices, especially on the hot food side (from 0600 on M-F & 0700 weekends & BHs). Due to an early start on Saturday (we left at 0545), we still had a good 'cold' buffet breakfast (just the hot foods weren't ready) and the man-in-charge made us feel welcome, even though he looked very tired himself. Despite being on first floor, Hotel was quite quiet, and a good nights sleep was possible. Tip - if you are on the first floor, don't use the Lift, it's only six steps up from the Ground Floor. With regard to location, Hotel is right next to a drive thru MacDonalds and across the street from a Tesco Express petrol station.

The room was far too cold and nothing appeared to be able to change that- even moving rooms. The bathroom was especially freezing.

The location was ideal for my son and I to attend the football

• Double or Twin Room

plates to small.... only one slice of bacon left at 730 am....you need a better toaster appliance.... limited parking....Enterprise that have access to the car park blocked 3 potential spaces in with one luton van...total lack of consideration...especially when they only had 2 vehicles parked on there own car park.....with a barrier down....

Scramble egg was tasty...nice coffee.... had a fantastic Thai meal...at the nearby Thai Corner Restaurant....

Room not stocked. No milk,no shower gel,toilet roll had 4 sheets left so I had to change. Breakfast croissants ran out so none available,same breakfast every day.

Bed comfortable. McDonald's near by. Room good size. Walk in shower.

• Double or Twin Room

The bathroom was dirty, the TV remote had been removed, the double room we booked was unavailable and so we were put in a twin room, the food was horrendous and best of all there was no water next morning due to a plumbing issue. Next time I will use a PremierInn!

It was warm!

The room was dirty we fkund a used sanitary pad and a bra...of all things... the bathroom had a broken toilet seat and a broken floor with bright yellow and black tape to cover it...sheets were clean but then we got up and fire alarm went off around hotel false alarm due to some toast but noone knew how to turn it off. The food was awful cold and coffee machine was broken staff no where to be seen. Waste of £70for one night for a funeral ...wasn't impressed at all .

Not alot

the Young girls on reception although pleasant did not know anything of what was asked, no ice available and only enough dry white wine for 1 glass

Some of the staff were great others didn’t have a clue, we asked for an address of a doctor, the young receptionist said she didn’t know any yet when we booked in we were told if you need Drs or dentist please ask reception

• Double Room - Disability Access

Room pretty grubby. Poor quality beds. Knives, forks, plates etc not clean and all had that gritty feel from a dishwasher that needed a good clean and a bit of rinse aid. I didn’t like paying £4 to park my car when staying at the hotel!

Staff friendly

• Double or Twin Room

Window broken hinges wouldn’t shut heating not working cleanliness below standard Breakfast disgusting no bread no rolls no croissants no muffins cold eggs Cold bacon cold beans dried out sausages . Surly unhelpful staff . Hotel communal areas in need of refurbishment car park filthy full of trash

Leaving in the morning

The dirty cups, the smell of the kettle, the smell of the bathroom, the creeky floorboards thoroughout the night, the weird noise of the aircon

McDonald’s next door

The dirt of the place.

The hotel was filthy - cups needed cleaning out as heavily stained. Some of the breakfast bowls still had debris on them. Bins had litter around them on the floor. Food served had evidently sat in the serving bowls for sometime.

Dirty, noisy, uncomfortable ... when I pulled back the pillows to get into bed a found a woman’s nightie!!! Impossible to have made up a bed and missed that so bed could not have been changed... disgusting!

Wifi

slightly noisy floor boards by the bathroom .

My daughter and I had a very comfortable stay at the hotel , the room was big and the beds were good. Breakfast was quick and easy as it was buffet style.

• Double or Twin Room

One of the members who travelled with us had quite substantial issues with their room.

The reception staff were exceptionally helpful and courteous and assisted to the best of their ability.

• Double Room - Disability Access

Air extractor in en suite very noisy in wind. Bar had very little stock/no draught beer following selling out over xmas and not restocked

COMFORTABLE ROOM AND VERY SPACIOUS

• Double or Twin Room

Sofa in our room had a missing backrest, shower had broken handles and switches, and didn’t work that well. Lots of stains on the carpet in the room.

Size of the room was impressive. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful

• Double or Twin Room

staff - all far too young and inefficient - no senior member of staff till third morning. Weekend skeleton staff? breakfast - no fruit compote available any of 3 days for cereal waitresses slow at replenishing milk cutlery hot food etc. Toast bread dry and stale - toaster very slow - bread did not fit in toaster properly dirty cutlery - not properly washed Normally we are very happy with Holiday Inn Express Crewe fell well below standard

room good apart from too hot and aircon in bathroom took too long to switch off

The room temperature couldn't be controlled. The lack of choice of beverages at the hotel bar. Example, no fresh orange and Guinness.

Helpful friendly staff.

• Double or Twin Room

Can be a pain getting them to take payment from us here at the office so that our staff don't have to pay and claim back.

Always good value especially with the breakfast included.

The bed was far too soft in our opinion. The shower needs a lot of attention, dirty grout between wall tiles and broken floor tiles. The air conditioning/heating was very noisy and we were moved to another room to sleep after we complained and the staff were unsuccessful in turning it off.

The staff were excellent. The rooms were clean and comfortable (except the bed)

Breakfast could have been better presented. A bit transport cafe type for my tastes

You know what you are getting at this hotel chain. Nothing fancy nothing bad. Comfortable funcional value for money type place

Shower was very disappointing, couldn't have a 'hot' shower as water never got any hotter than warm and the more powerful you liked the water flow the cooler it got. So cold showers for 2 nights wasn't good at all. In fact the hot water coming from the sink was hotter than the shower! Staff also not professional, check in staff were nice and helpful, check out staff were quite happy eating their McDonald's breakfasts in the customer eating area leaving the desk unmanaged making us wait or have to call them for help, no apologies. I also visited over the remembrance weekend and found it very very disgraceful and rude that none of the staff, whilst I and my family was in the foyer holding our 2 minutes silence at 11am, bothered to stop what they were doing or stop talking for 2 minutes!! And then when somebody 'shhh'd', then pulled and face was told to 'f**k off'. This is unacceptable behaviour and very disgraceful. If these are the type of people you employ and accept this behaviour then you should be ashamed as a reputable hotel chain.

Location was great for what we needed. Room was clean.

• Double Room - Disability Access

Breakfast was a bit of a shambles , no water in the coffee machine, no knifes , not a great selection, but this is forgivable considering the price.

Room was excellent, comfortable bed , free copies of the I newspaper.

• Double or Twin Room

Please remember to submit your car registration when you arrive, otherwise you will be fined £100. I was not informed about this.

The hotel is very convenient for Crewe city centre. This hotel has friendly staff and good facilities.

Disgraceful cooked breakfast! We arrived at 07:10 and the sausages were burnt and extremely dry, couldn't be cut with a knife. Scrambled egg was also dry.

Staff absent from breakfast area & reception on morning of checkout. No knives available & various food & drink items ran out during breakfast although we managed to eat well ! Dog found plastic bottle top under bed.

Nice room & great location

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast options and quantity very poor, cutlery and crockery not clean, no milk in the coffee machine and none to replace it! No real welcome to the place, staff not at book in desk,

The bed was comfortable and the shower was good.

Holiday Inn Express Coffee machines are just the worst. They seem to serve the worst coffee possible.

Staff were very friendly, room was large and very clean.

Reception were not a bit helpful very rude won't be coming back any time soon!

Very clean room,breakfast was a buffet it was lovely.housekeeping were helpful!

We were a family of 10 Adults and 3 young children. We travelled to Crewe for a family party. On returning to the hotel after the party which I grant you was approx 12.30 am I went to the reception / bar area to see if I could purchase some water in bottles. The night Manager ( as I presume) was very abrupt, unhelpful and directed me to a vending machine. Having no change he then very grudgingly provided me with two glasses of tap water. Breakfast covered most bases but was not very appetising and had no staff wiping down tables. I also had holes in my curtains which let the light through all night. Room 224.

The room girl, very friendly and very polite also the reception girls at check in and check out which was very quick.

• Double or Twin Room

Heat in room all night and no explanation of how controls worked to turn it down. Had window open all night but still very hot. Could do with better pillows and also the ‘orange juice’ from the machine at breakfast was awful, tasted very watered down. Needed a waitress to keep an eye on topping up things like the milk jug etc.

Ease of checking in and being able to just leave key card on side and not queue on checkout as already paid.

I arrived late in the evening after a 6 hour train journey. All I wanted was a hot meal, shower and a comfy bed. By paying £95 for the night I thought I would be assured of all three. The two female staff on reception duty were not at all welcoming and seemed displeased that I should querying part of my booking. I ordered a cold drink from the bar (I was surprised I had a better choice of soft drinks on the train)Although the bottle came out of the fridge it was still warm when I asked for ice I was referred to the ice machine I found the ice machine around the corner from reception only to find it was not working I returned and said the machine is not working Do you have ice the reply was a discourteous NO. I would have thought a hotel of this size would have had more than one ice machine. The eating area stank of old frying fat from the kitchen which permeated through to the reception area. I had hoped for a better menu which included chilli, curry, pizza, burger or fish and chips (some might say something for everybody) but nevertheless you usually cant go wrong with fish and chips. Coming from Aberdeen I can honestly say that fish did not come out of the sea a freezer maybe from a processed factory but definitely not fresh. I left my meal and warm drink and reluctantly went to McDonalds directly across from the hotel. I then went upstairs to my room where the bathroom fan was still running the water I had washed my hands in before heading down for my meal was still in the sink as it would not drain due to the plug being broken. I phoned reception and the same two ladies who I met when I checked in and who then served my meal appeared at my room to check my complaint. At this point Faulty Towers sprung to mind and I seriously thought about moving to the Best Western just up the road.

When I checked out I could not fault the male member of staff who was on the reception desk. He was very friendly and couldn't have been more helpful. Just the type of person you would like to meet and greet you on arrival.

Called down to reception no answer then had to go to reception n no-one there...cups and spoons in room where not clean but they where happy to change...dont think the room was completely ready for guests and a new shower head is needed

Helpful n friendly staff..good location

I didn't notice that i needed to log my car details on the computer screen. I told the reception staff in the morning and she made a note of my registration number. Just hoping I won't get fined. Is there any possibility that if the guest forgets they could do it in the morning?

I could see my car from the bedroom window and the room was extremely nice!

Arrived a 9:00PM and no one in reception or anywhere else to check me in. After some time someone did finally arrive.

Everything about average for this type of hotel

we checked in round 2pm went out again when we came back the hotel had been evacuated because of near by fire we were put up in the ibis but all we had were the clothes we were wearing and we ha been clearing out rubbish so we were bit grubby the hotel did not reopen until 2pm the next day as we were in Crewe for a funeral at 11.20amand all our clothes were in the hotel we had no choice but to go and buy new clothes we only bought cheap stuff from Tesco but we were still over £100 out of pocket, which we know it was not the fault of the hotel our contract was with them and we were disappointed they made no offer of compensation which would have been nice, it wont put me of staying again

stayed here several times over the years I was born & raised in Crewe and this is always my first choice as its walking distance to railway station, pubs, retail park good free WiFi, room a good size

Room 325 before we left for the evening the air con had work OK as the room was hot. But when we got back after midnight the air con would not work and the room did not have any opening windows.

• Double or Twin Room

The fact my room was covered in dust and there was a big white stain on the side of one 0f the beds.

The night porter was very accommodating and a general nice guy.

A warmer welcome, staff unfriendly and couldn't find us on system. Wasn't very professional about the situation. Breakfast wasn't always full, had to wait a few times as there wasn't anyone around to ask either.

Breakfast baps & pastries stale, staff took time replenishing breakfast items.

For being so close to main bedroom very quiet. Also bedroom spacious & great shower.

• Double or Twin Room

Crewe is not the most attractive place at the best of times. It is run down and has little to offer anyone! It must be difficult to run a hotel in an area like this so I am not unsympathetic but I have to say that the hotel was definitely second rate. The kitchen was closed when I arrived due to technical problems for the evening. The following morning breakfast was poorly cooked and the food area was in need of a clean and tidy-up. I actually left most of my breakfast as it was so poor. The only available hot drinks were from a very synthetic 'help-yourself' machine at one end of a very dull and tired breakfast area. The shower was unpredictable and kept running very hot and then very cold - presumably as other guests used their facilities. The staff were friendly enough but spent a lot of time away from the desk smoking in the car park. On two occasions I had to go outside to get them in in order to get any attention. I accept that you get what you pay for in this world but I have stayed in better, cleaner Premier Inns for less money.

Not a lot I'm afraid... There was a balcony with my room but it overlooked a burger bar and the air was acrid with the smell of dirty cooking fat / oil. The location was at least fairly central for the town and there is free on-site parking, albeit limited.

• Double Room - Disability Access

Air conditioning was very noisy at night, banging and clocking. Plus hot water was pulsing hot and cold whilst showering or washing. This we were told was due to a broken pump which was due to be replaced soon. Hope so as 're attending on 11th Sept for Mothers funeral.

Bed comfortable and accessible bathroom for disabled wife excellent.

Walls a little thinner than would have liked as could hear next-door's bathroom, people chatting, creaking floorboards in corridor - and you can't blame the hotel for noisy neighbours however they did their best to lessen the impact. A little too 'express' for our liking but fine for a couple of days.

Large double bed was great - as two singles zipped together! - but good and comfortable. Location. Free parking. Hard-working, friendly staff. Express breakfast.

The shower pulsed when it was running (not a big issue but a bit peculiar!), only 2 tea bags in the room - could have done with a few more! Bit of debris in the stairwells and corridors.

The bed was comfortable and the shower hot. Breakfast was easy and accessible. Staff were friendly.

• Double or Twin Room

roof skylight with paper cover hence light make you wake up early front of hotel not suit case friendly a fair few stairs no ramp

had to change room on arrival as bad bath room smell next room overall good but had skylight with paper cover hence light make you wake up early on the whole fair to good hotel newer and not so tired looking as some other sites breakfast fair and hot can not complain too much as £69 for 2 inc breakfast is still good value and fairly clean .

Sadly as we had travelled by van, the carpark wasn't easily accessible and we had a lot of trouble parking mostly due to the height and length of the van. The website didn't advise of any restrictions only advising ample car parking.

Good value for money as a stop over bed for the night. Staff were extremely polite and helpful. Good buffet breakfast and selection.

My evening meal seemed straight out of the freezer and into the microwave. Sufficient but not satisfying. There is no ramp up to the front door and I had to "bump" my suitcase up and down.

I liked the staff who were obviously very much overworked but still helpful and cheerful.

I didn't like the manner of the staff member that checked us in! He was very rude and patronising! Very disappointed with the service!

The bed was comfy and the breakfast selection was ok!

Noise from traffic. Room looked clean but on closer look, bathroom fan and towel rail needed dusting as did the top of the corner chair. Bed was lumpy on the 5th - better on the 11th.

The staff were wonderful even though they were obviously overworked. Room was spacious and well laid out. Used for 2 nights and within walking distance of station so suited me very well.

Well appointed rooms, great wetroom, air conditioned and very clean. Breakfast was very nice, plenty of choice. Staff were very welcoming and pleasant. A really nice stay. Thank you.

Hotel very tired looking and hallway and stairs could do with a hoover. Breakfast was tasteless, juice watery, no marmalade to go with toast, crockery and cutlery not the cleanest, wouldn't recommend to family or friends

Bed was comfy, tea making facilities and reception staff very pleasant

It seemed very stripped down compared to normal Holiday Inns. There was no problem but a sense of not many staff, a bar but no one there. The tv didn't pick up any channels. We requested someone look at it, never happened.

Despite it being a buffet, the quality of the hot breakfast was pretty good. When requested, an ironing board was delivered quickly.

Room was not cleaned on one day. Key had to be reset on 2 occasions as it would not open the room door. Plug in the bath room did not work properly Shower ran cold & hot

• Double or Twin Room

Room let down by a very dirty bathroom - in need of a deep clean, particularly the shower cubicle. Grout in need of a good clean. Radiator caked in dust. A shame no evening snacks / lite meals available - had to go to the tesco petrol station across the road

Bed comfy and room tidy and clean.

No staff in breakfast area although you help yourself it would of been nice for someone to be there .The guy on checkout was busy talking to other staff to be bothered to take our key( card)

The bed was very comfortable

The hotel is general need a complete refurbishment ... communal areas extremely dirty and overall is very tired. More of a Travel Lodge than Holiday Inn Express. The room was extremely small and there is a general lack of facilities e.g. the bar area was tiny and practically in the reception area. Very disappointing I wouldn't recommend this hotel or stay there ever again.

Staff were helpful and friendly and keen to try and accommodate the guests despite the facilities and overall condition of the hotel and it must be very difficult for them to take any pride in the hotel when working in such a shabby, run down establishment.