Reviews of Redcliffe House Guest Accommodation 4 stars

Redcliff Road, Hull, HU13 0HA, United Kingdom

#1 of 12 B&Bs and Inns in Hull

The showers door was a bit tricky to open due to questionable installation. But the owner explained me already how to handle it when she showed me the room.

Lovely accommodation, high quality breakfast, nice people, lush green garden view, restaurant and pub in a walking distance, quiet, would be nice for couples

• Family Room

Short walk to see the view of the Humber bridge and we had a lovely walk through the countryside reserve. Quiet location. Short drive to the old town and the deep aquarium. Hostess was very helpful and friendly. Tea and coffee was avaliable in our room and a kettle, which was important to me as i had a baby with me. So I had to make up formula for her throughout he evening. The bedroom and bathroom was clean. Breakfast was very pleasant, also they did my son a small breakfast which was nice of them.

No bottled water and didn't like a jar of coffee and unwrapped tea bags in the room. It was a lovely garden but would have been nice to have some seating on the lawns

Size of the room and garden, in a nice location

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Nice and friendly hosts! Lovely and comfortable rooms. We have booked twin room (because there wasn’t double at booking) but landlady offered us a double bed - what was amazing!!! So cute and cosy place. Tasty breakfast and incredibly comfortable bed.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

I enjoyed it all, only had to be up early so couldn't recommend the breakfast but I'm sure it would of been nice too.

This place was so clean, lovely and comfortable, the lady who works there was lovely and friendky too. The room was beautiful and the bed was so comfy. Even down to the shower was the best haha. I would most definitely stay here again. Only round the corner from the humbe r river and the pub lunch.

• Executive Garden Room

The shower door was a bit difficult to close but very minor problem. I didn’t use the WiFi so don’t know how good it was.

The room and breakfast was great and Mia was really friendly and helpful.

• King Room with Shared Bathroom

We got a room next to the entrance door and all conversations that took place outside were well heard in the room, also people walking in with suitcases and greeting / walking in and walking out - really made it hard for us to relax after a few hours drive. The bed wasn't comfy at all. We paid for continental breakfast and it basically was a bagel with a butter - strawberry jam jar was empty and we asked for a top up - unfortunately there was nothing left. The jam had been emptied by the previous guests. Not what one would expect to pay £5.95! Would not give 4 stars unfortunately :(

Christie was wonderful, very helpful and always smiley. Lovely lady served us a coffee on arrival as our room was not ready (only because we came early). They also upgraded our room to an en-suite for free which was massively appreciated, though not expected. Never met the owner though.

• King Room with Shared Bathroom

Lovely guest house. Christie was an excellent host, very friendly and accommodating. We were upgraded to an ensuite room as I had booked shared bathroom by mistake. Lovely place, rooms are gorgeous and very clean - definitely recommend

• King Room with Shared Bathroom

Could do with curtains or a blind in the bathroom, the voile felt a bit thin for a big window by the shower!

Lovely staff, very helpful and responsive. Big room and comfortable bed. Great value.

• King Room with Shared Bathroom

The only possible suggestion, which was down to the courtesy of other guests rather than the facilities, was that the car parking spaces could be marked on for optimum efficiency of the many spaces that should be available in the (unmarked) drive. Unfortunately, when we returned to the hotel at night some less considerate drivers had parked their cars too far apart, meaning a space we could easily have had had they been more considerate was lost. It was not a disaster as we just parked 20 seconds round the corner on a nice road, but is the only possible suggestion I can think of.

We had initially booked the hotel as just a stopover for our trip down from Glasgow, but the room was so nice that we found an excuse to come home earlier in the night to spend some time in it :) Really nice to have been upgraded to an en suite room (with great shower) too.

• King Room with Shared Bathroom

The room felt a bit empty, though it may have been because they weren't expecting to put us in that room. Mainly I mean in terms of extra bits and bobs that we might need like toothpaste, soaps, shampoo etc. There was one very nice bottle of hair and body gel but was needed to swap between using as a hand soap and the shower. Otherwise the bathroom was pretty much empty. The shower was overly powerful, and basically had one setting: scolding hot. I think they recently had a whole new boiler system installed, but it might be a bit too good! We were on the road side of the building so some traffic noise from the nearby motorway, in the summer this could be a real problem to sleep at night if the window needs to be wide open.

The staff were extremely friendly, and helpful when we forgot to bring toothpaste which we needed, made sure we were topped up with tea/coffee and gave us privacy. They also upgraded our room to an ensuite for free which was massively appreciated, though not expected. Very quiet visit, few other guests. Nice cosy room with all the pillows and quilts, comfy bed. Definitely worth a stay and may be back again.

Nothing. It was perfect.

The location near the Humber Bridge was awesome. I've been a fan of the bridge (sad I know) since I was a nipper when we used to have to go the long way round or get the ferry. Beautiful decor and all spotless. The room was ideal for my needs. Overall a 100% mark.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

I am not sure there was anything I disliked except possibly not being able to offer a breakfast service and WiFi although these are minor points on what was a very nice accommodation.

I was pleasantly surprised to be up graded on arrival. The room was very spacious with a very comfortable bed and all the facilities were excellent including a good size bathroom with shower all in a stylish Victorian decor. The staff were polite and pleasant and helpful when asked about train times to travel to Hull. Will definitely stay there again.

• Family Room

The room was cosy and very nicely decorated, but the heater didn't seem to work properly and was on full power all night which made it much too hot (and we actually had to open the window for a while, despite the frigid temperatures outdoors). It was also quite tight for three people, with not much in the way of sitting area.

Beautiful old house, very nicely renovated and extremely welcoming and pleasant hosts. Sally recommended a very nice pub just down the road (right under the Humber Bridge) for dinner. The room was elegant and comfortable, with comfy beds and a lovely large bathroom. The highlight of the stay was the excellent breakfast with a view of the Bridge and lovely garden (with bunnies!).

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

I did not have an en suite which i had last time.Whilst it was a shared bathroom that i fortunately did not have to share as nobody else was on that floor,i am not keen on having to walk down corridors late at night to use the bathroom.

Did not have breakfast

Nothing. The whole experience was perfect.

The bed and the bedroom were so spectacular, comfortable, spotlessly clean. The best guest house we have ever stayed in. The view from the window both during the day and at night of the Humber Bridge were amazing. Breakfast first class.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

There were no problems - only helpfulness.

For me, this is a great arrangement. I needed to make a change to my booking at the last minute and this was very happily accommodated by the staff. I needed to arrive a day earlier than arranged and stay for 2 nights instead of one. No problem! And I am very grateful to them for their kind help.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was immaculately clean, nice and warm and very comfortable. The property was tastefully decorated with scenic views. The location was great, 6 minutes walk to Hessle station with trains to Hull Station every hour. This saved a fortune on taxi fares into Hull city centre.

Could have done with a hairdryer in the room. Would love breakfast to be included rather than an extra but great that it was available.

Lovely furniture, comfy bed and huge room. It was very dog friendly too. The breakfast was delicious. Nothing too much trouble

Amazing guest house - we were upgraded to king size suite free of charge when arrived. Room was super lovely, big, nice and clean (don't know what other rooms are like, but the whole building seemed to be very well looked after). Room temperature was exactly as I love - nice and warm (as I am usually quite cold). Bed was extra comfy, huge and we had the best sleep ever! Will definitely stay there again!! :)

Some of the fixtures in the shower were a little rusty but this really did not detract from the high standards everywhere else

Comfortable beds and beautiful view over the garden. I stayed here the night before my wedding and the rooms were a beautiful setting for my wedding preparations and we had so much room to spread out. The owner was really friendly and happy to let us have people coming and going during the morning.

• King Room with Shared Bathroom

breakfast looked very good. wifi wasn't the best but i was on the top floor so the signal was always going to be weak. would stay again if i am in the area.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

All fine for just one night, clean and comfortable just a bit lacking in atmosphere somehow, especially the entrance/reception room (work in progress?)

Good location for station into Hull

• Double or Twin Room

Disappointing, quality of towels poor quality, hard and not matching, hand towel discoloured. If advertising as a boutique hotel, believe towels should match and be of good thick quality and soft. Also breakfast cups and saucers on table needed wiping clean.

Super breakfast which we paid extra for. Beds very comfortable and linen lovely.

Third visit to this lovely, quaint hotel. The owner and staff extremely friendly and we even had an upgrade on our last stay. Beautiful rooms, clean and spacious. It also has a stunning garden

• Executive Garden Room

No full English but the alternative was sufficient. No information in the room about the accommodation or the area; however it is available on the website, and there was some information avaiable on the hall table.

The friendly welcome. The comfortable, spacious, clean & tidy room with a view over the garden and some of the river. Also the friendly, welcoming riverside pub within walking distance, serving good value for money meals.

• Family Room

Nice quiet location (stayed 6 nights) on the edge of Hessle below the Humber Bridge so near the heart of Hull if required but without the immediate traffic and congestion of staying in the city.

This is a nice property but: The breakfast was really very basic - there was a choice between "continental" and "cooked" breakfast. I chose continental: it was very low quality cereals (I had a little muesli on day one and it was so awful that I could not eat it and I can normally eat almost anything!!) Then all there was some fruit (it looked like canned grapefruit possibly) - which did not look very appealing so I did not have any - no choices of yoghurt - I eat plain yoghurt, but there was none only very cheap overly sweet basic fruit yoghurt and toast!! I have never been given a "continental" that consisted out of two slices of toast!! In fact, I had to specify one or two slices! There is usually an assortment of baked goods, croissants, bread rolls, anything to choose from but there was none at this property which I found really stingy as the room was not cheap at all. Also no cheeses or cold meats or anything like that only some really cheap and nasty overly sweet jam which was dispensed on request. On the last morning I was not offered any of the dispensed jam as the host said she saw I already had peanut butter on my table (therefore obviously I was not entitled to jam as well?). The "butter" was cheap spread no real butter available and it tasted as cheap and nasty as it looked. This "Continental" breakfast was the most expensive two slices of toast I have ever had and it was really not at all good. On the last morning some other guests got some "tea bread" which was toasted for them but I was again just only offered one or two slices of toast, which made me think that only some guests were offered more than toast and I did wonder what one would have to do to be offered more than the very basic? It really left a sour taste in the mouth and I was not impressed at all.

Host gave me an upgrade as there were many available rooms. View was great and room was big. It was also relatively quiet and fairly comfortable.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Appalling parking......first night the only space was on the grass verge outside the place, second night I had to talk to the local sports club to get permission to leave my car in their car park. At this price I expect parking......

Standard accommodation, poorly signed up a first floor back staircase that looked private Nice and close to view the bridge.....if you ignore the litter left by the local boy/girl racers.....

• King Room with Shared Bathroom

'Continental' breakfast was disappointing - no cheese, no ham, no croissants. Just ordinary cereals, fruit and toast. YHA full English is cheaper! No safety/emergency exit info in the room. No hairdryer.

Very comfortable bed, super towels. Friendly and helpful staff.

• Executive Garden Room

Parking was a bit cramped as it was rather busy.

We didn't get breakfast so I can't comment, but I can tell you that the bed was very comfortable. My partner said it was the first time he had woken up in ages and his back didn't hurt! The view over the garden was nice and the bed and furniture were lovely.

Expensive, I expected a luxury 4 star b&b. This is a basic and dated 2 or 3 max and not worth the premium charged. I managed to experience 3 of the bathrooms/showers and all 3 were awful. One only ran hot or cold, the other shower head fell off mid shower and hit me on the back and the final shower was just dated and door was really hard to close!! All bathrooms need updating.

Large room overlooking garden

Not applicable, everything was great!

We only stayed for one night as the property was only a 10 minute walk from the function venue that we were attending. The rooms were well appointed and comfortable, all the staff were very accommodating and friendly and the breakfast was delicious! Very good value for money.

• Family Room with Shared Bathroom

Shared bathroom wet room needs better more powerful shower and method of not flooding while bathroom - when reported to staff they were aware but did nothing including mopping up the flood of water!

Nicely decorated throughout

• King Room with Shared Bathroom

A noisy main road nearby but double glazing very effective as long as windows were closed.

Liked the cheerful receptionist who was very quick for check in with good information. Very helpful and super clean spacious room.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

This is not the B & B fault. But the train station at Hessle needs improvements. Bit difficult with luggage to get to. Northern Rail who are the operation have an awful service especially on Sundays. The B&B needs sign posting otherwise bit difficult to find.

The Porridge and the Bed were absolutely perfect, The B & B was very nice and friendly place. Walk in to the town square was nice depending on age and a very pleasant area. Nice people.

• Executive Garden Room

Bathrooms don't match the standard of the rest of the property. Tired and in need of drastic modernisation. Shower temperature a disaster as either scalding or freezing. Paint peeling on shelves, etc. No decent toiletries..

Near a very busy road but only heard this with the window open.

Very comfy bed and lots of pressure in the large shower. Very handy for the centre of Hull and to visit my son who lives just over the bridge.

• Family Room

Lots of traffic noise from dual carriageway if you have a North facing room Not really a hotel; more of a dormitory block ( entire ground floor was blocked off and nobody else in the building when we returned at 21:00) No wi-fi coverage in our room 3-4 miles out of town

Substantial breakfast, comfortable beds and well equipped bathroom Large gardens at the rear

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The only issue was parking on site can get quite crowded.

The staff where very polite and helpful and the rooms where absolutely wonderful to be in. Couldn't of asked for a more relaxing stay.

• King Room with Shared Bathroom

Personal call to greet us day before our arrival was welcoming. Helpful info on the local train service direct to Hull. Beautiful house all rooms really well appointed and stylishly decorated . Thank you

Strange smell in room no. 4, had to leave the window open, very noisy from street. Staff solved the problem very considerate.

Very helpful and friendly staff. Nicely decorated.

Family of 5 has to get 2 rooms. People staying in the front annex kept smoking right in front of the building, directly below our window.

Friendly staff, rooms nicely appointed, lovely breakfast.

Room maintenance was below expected standard. Breakfast had a poor selection of cold items and the cooked breakfast had "hard fried " eggs. Not the best booking .com reservation on my trip

Friendly and clean

I liked everything!

The staff were friendly and very helpful and everything was very clean. It was a good breakfast with offers at all stages for more, if required. I shall certainly seek to book there again when I attend my next Yorkshire family get-together in early February.

• Double or Twin Room

Great place to stay to visit the City of culture by train, enjoying the Humber bridge and country park, Hessle and the East Riding. Rooms were stylish, staff were welcoming and friendly, very clean and 5 minutes from station and motorway, but no traffic noise

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

No complaints really, the only thing was the bathroom door handle in Room 4. It was hard to open as it is round and too close to the door frame. A minor thing I know but not when you are struggling to get out of the bathroom, lol.

The Redcliffe Guest House was a lovely place to stay, it was clean, friendly, efficient and it a great location. The bed and facilities were excellent and myself and my partner had a good sleep and nights stay.

• Executive Garden Room

Bathroom poor....sealant around sink blackened with mildew. Shower temperature difficult to control and shower screen would not move easily. Flooring poor. No haidryer Furniture very tired and somewhat shabby rather than boutiwue. Drapes to bed not clean Coffee splashes on the walls and cobwebs visible. Dedcribed as executive garden suite.....overlooked large untidy and weed filled garden. Overpriced and over exaggerated.

Good sized room Quiet

Transport to and from Hull KR ground for concert proved difficult. Many of the bars and restaurants were closed immediately following the concert. Almost as if they don't want or need custom Very strange for a Capital of Culture. Probably wouldn't make the effort again, not the warmest of welcomes.

Good location in a smart area Easy parking and some good walks in the area. Spent an enjoyable Sunday morning in Hull seeing the highlights

The decor in room 10 is tired and clearly some light wood coloured wardrobes had been painted, rather poorly, in black. One towel was badly stained, there were cobwebs in various locations within the room and the shared bathroom. Toilet seat in serious need of replacement too. Both bedside lamps were shoogly (unsteady) and dusty. Tea and coffer provided, but too little milk and no biscuits! Priced at £85 for bed only, I expected a little better, other rooms did look a bit better, but only based on a glance through open doors prior to guests arrival. Also, owner didn't appear to know the train times, although the station is less than 5 minutes walk from the property. Last train from Hull on a Saturday was 10.15pm, making this a bit out of the way. Last bus was at 11pm, so not really suitable unless you want to fork out for a taxi, or drive.

Impressive looking property and there has obviously been a lot of thought put into the decor, in the public areas in any case. Excellent shower in the shared bathroom and very comfortable bed. Not too far from the rail station and Hessle, which is a nice village.

• Executive Garden Room

The only negative thing was that we could hear the person above us walking around early in the morning other than that perfect!

Mia was lovely and made a very tasty breakfast! The room was very spacious and the house was very welcoming! Such a lovely place to stay! A short walk from the bridge and a short drive into the centre! Definitely recommend! And although you might think breakfast is a little pricey it is worth it because it is very tasty and is made to suit your needs!! Thank you for having us!!

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Room needed updating, very poor natural light, and no mention on booking of room, that it was positioned away from the main house in a converted garage.

Staff and cooked breakfast all excellent

• King Room with Shared Bathroom

Boutique appearance, but a little unfinished in places. Old built in wardrobes painted black for a new lease of life - but tatty on the inside

Lovely rooms, attentive host and lovely surroundings. Comfy bed a bonus! Only stayed one night - but would visit again.

• Family Room

The manager is lovely and so accommodating. We were allowed early check-in which made our day easier, we also had a courtesy call to ask what time we would like to arrive. Breakfast was tasty too. Will definitely return.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Room was so hot. Had to turn off all radiators and open widows wide. Which wasn't great due to the property being close to the motorway. But that was the only downside

Parking was tight but I got parked. The house was beautiful. The staff where lovely. Really helpful and friendly. The food was great. Room was nice enough.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Noise from road ( noticed that room next door had secondary double glazing but not mine). Noise from downstairs room- possibly due to unusually loud Spaniard on phone/ Skype but felt like he was in room with me. Sufficient to make me Google other options accommodation even for that night. Some signs of wear in,e.g. shared bathroom.

Location. Close to Hessle foreshore but good bus access to Hull city centre.

We only stayed the one night as prearranged, but there were no problems. Things were as they were meant to be and as described - I'd stay there again if the need arose and would recommend.

Good location for viewing the Humber Bridge and for getting around Hull and the surrounding area. Staff were very friendly and genuine.

• Executive Garden Room

The decor of the property is beautiful. Rooms are so comfy and very homely. The staff are very welcoming and friendly. Breakfast was also lovely. A very nice stay.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Not much really - especially if you have a good appetite to eat a lot of breakfast, you will get your money's worth!

Ease of access to all the places I needed to go. Very comfortable bed. Relaxed and quiet surroundings.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

I noticed that the general condition of the garden could do with a big overhaul, it may be expensive, but the rewards will be well - worth it. I did have a talk with the owner, who has assured me, that she will be giving it a serious thought..... David ~ doncaster

I only had the continental breakfasts over three mornings, this was because I had a nice evening meal down at the Country Park which is almost under The Bridge, Redcliffe House is about 15 minutes walk to the Country Park, part of the journey is along the side of the River Humber 'remember the camera ''' I have stayed at the Redcliffe House many times and always look forward to my next visit..

• Reviewed: 23 December 2016

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Nothing we didn't like. excellent breakfast, lovely views in dining room including squirrels!

Upgraded room with en- suite, very clean. Very friendly staff, brilliant location.

• Reviewed: 1 December 2016

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Spontaneous trip, was last room but even the novelty of a shared b'room (exciting!?) not a hiccup at all!...(didn't see anyone!) MAIN point - great quiet comfortable sleep and satisfying tasty breakfast!

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Small tv in a poor location, the shower was quite small.

Very pleasant greeting followed by a comfortable sleep nice touch with the shampoo, ear buds in the bathroom.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Bed and pillows need to be upgraded. Our room could hear the traffic from the motorway. Breakfast real average.

Staff quite friendly and very helpful. Convenient Location.

• Family Room with Shared Bathroom

Where we stayed it was a garage conversion and there was a lack of day light and not enough ventilation. Carpets smelled like cat wee and once the shower was in use the hole area was humid.

I like the fact I could bring my dog to the hotel and the idea of having a small kitchen area to use.

I couldn't fault a single thing.

I was made to feel like the only guest there and part of the family. The bed was like sleeping on clouds and the breakfast was perfect.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Could do with new mattress. . Current one sinks in middle. Bottom sheet not tucked into mattress properly. Bathroom grout and light above mirror needs cleaning. No wi fi details given by staff. Not as luxurious as photos suggest. Garden tatty. Room smelt of fatty food. Disabled bathroom sink was too small and low for us, although I accept we only booked on the day but disabled bathroom was not mentioned with booking.

Booking process efficient and Sally was there to meet us on arrival. Very friendly.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room

I felt that as it was advertised as a B and B , breakfast should be included in the price

Very comfortable large room . Excellent shower Friendly staff

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

• Family Room

Staff very friendly, room just what we needed, with ability to take our dog - the garden at the back great for a little dog - and comfortable room and beds. Breakfast was very good too.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Breakfast not available early enough and no take away option given

Loved the fact we had self catering facilities but turned out we needed it as breakfast not served early enough, we needed to leave the property for an an event at 730 so breakfast would have been ideal at 7 but this unfortunately was not possible when requested

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Executive Garden Room

Minor negative but lovely as it was, the bed was a little short for me at 6'1" so struggled to get comfortable.

Excellent breakfast & lovely view over the garden

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The A63 is a bit noisy for rooms facing the road. It didn't overly bother me, but it might affect the quality of sleep for some.

Good breakfast, friendly staff, pleasant walks by the Humber Bridge nearby

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

Ok so the place was really clean and looked very comfortable but the bed was sooo soft in the middle and too one side that me and my partner felt like we were being forced to roll into one another. We like a cuddle but the mattress was just too unstable. The shower at night was lovely but the next morning we couldn't find a setting that wasn't uncomfortably hot. No matter where we turned the dial it went from too hot to scolding. Was a real shame because other than those 2 things the guest house was lovely!

The staff were really accommodating for our late check in X

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

• Executive Garden Room

slightly expensive for breakfasts considering the overall room price however we didnt have breakfast it may have been superb.

lovely and clean and luxurious.

Very clean and quiet