Reviews of Rhins of Galloway 4 stars

Cairnryan,, Cairnryan, DG9 8QU, United Kingdom

#3 of 5 hotels in Cairnryan

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

I don't normally submit reviews but if I travel from Cairnryan again I will endeavour to stay there.

The whole experience from checking in to being informed how everything worked in terms of breakfast (I left really early so didn't experience the food but they did offer to make me a sandwich). to leaving early was excellent. I was supplied with a flask of milk to make sure I could make tea and coffee the next morning which was really thoughtful. I knew in advance that it wasn't a licence premises or didn't have an evening restaurant but the chap on reception gave me a map with a list of restaurants and bars in nearby Stranraer for food etc. exceptional service. The room I was in (single) was really clean with excellent facilities, a corkscrew and wine glass if you wanted a drink, really good shower, comfortable bed, and due to the location really quiet.

Wonderful short stay

Only stayed overnight and left early. But the welcome was wonderful and a take away breakfast was provided for me. Room to a high standard with extras.

Rhins of Galloway, really good set up.

Nothing bad about this place at all.

Rhins of Galloway, really good set up. Minutes from the Stena Line Port...very handy. Accommodation was very comfortable and very well managed. Staff very helpful and polite. The full breakfast was fantastic, couldn't eat it all as there was that much on my plate. Highly recommend Rhins of Galloway.

A most comfortable, almost luxurious place to stay, and we were only there overnight alas!

Our room, spacious, well furnished, comfortable. Plenty of room to put things, toiletries, ones traveling bits and pieces. Room to put suitcases and not trip over them. Linen, towels, bathrobes ( even! ) all of excellent quality. The place exudes generosity, of toiletries, the towel rail was already heating..... Everything was beautifully maintained, furniture, eclectic old, but polished. Breakfast was excellent, served on beautiful tableware. Our host couldn’t do enough for us. All this in a coastal building that belied what we found inside.

Very comfortable stay

All good

The host was very welcoming. The room was spacious and well equipped. Lots of luxurious touches eg bathrobes and slippers, chocolates,cold milk in a flask for coffee/tea. Varied breakfast menu and well presented. Interesting history of building

A little luxury in a quaint seaside town.

If anything, the lawn outside looked a bit overgrown, however my wife was quite charmed by the windswept look!

We absolutely loved this b&b, and had an exceptionally comfortable stay here in the "Gloucester Suite". The service was amazing: the host, Paul, was warm, friendly and enthusiastic. The whole place was sparkling clean (something that my wife is exceptionally fussy about!), the bedsheets fresh and crisp. The bathroom was spacious with two sinks, a tub, and a waterproof television mirror! The decor was classic in style and either relatively new, or extremely well maintained, giving a feel of luxury. Complimentary tea/coffee/etc was generously stocked in our room. We loved that every little detail was thought of: for instance, stylish little scissors to cut open the sugar/coffee sachets. There were also some art-deco touches which we enjoyed, like the gold and silver cutlery in the dining room. Breakfast looked delicious, but we didn't get to try it as we miss-timed when we were supposed to get to the ferry! Paul had already begun preparing a meal tailored to my wife's vegan diet, but we had to rush off, which we are very regretful about as we are sure it would have been wonderful.

Great people

I have stayed at a lot of high end hotels but the staff here are fantastic nothing is too much trouble, extremely attentive and full of useful information about the surrounding area

It was a pleasant surprise when we entered the place.
    • Gloucester Suite

It was a pleasant surprise when we entered the place. The room was excellent, big, well provisioned and very comfy. The breakfast and service was exceptional.

It meet and exceeded our expectations.

It meet and exceeded our expectations. Lots of little touches such as scissors in the room so you don’t have to fight with the coffee and tea sachet, multi plug adaptors by the bed so you can plug your chargers in. Staff were excellent, cheerful and helpful.

Luxury rooms and a great breakfast, what’s not to like.

Leaving

Excellent room and very helpful hosts. We loved the breakfast options and the suite was finished to a very high standard. No hesitation in recommending this hotel if you are passing through or heading for the ferry. There’s plenty to do in the area for a longer break as well.

Great breakfast and bath!
    • Gloucester Suite

I would have liked to eat at the hotel, but the drive to the nearest town was only 10 mins, so not really a problem.

An important point to note is that they don't have facilities for dinner or a bar. The room I stayed in was fabulous, I had a bath watching the TV fitted to the wall next to the bath! The wifi is good, but phone signal is a little poor. Breakfast was brilliant, they have a great vege selection along with the usual full Scottish breakfast options.

Friendly staff and clean comfortable room and facilities.

Friendly staff and clean comfortable room and facilities. This was our second stay here as we enjoyed the first time so much. Very convenient for the ferry to Ireland.

Great place, great staff, great room, great bathroom and is just a good place to stay
    • Churchill Suite

The food is magnificent fresh, tasty and hot.. the room was excellent, clean, tidy large with one of the best beds I’ve slept in. The bathroom is the size of some other rooms we’ve stayed in and is brand new. We have no reservations in recommending this place to any and all.

Excellent place to stay for ferry, comfortable nights sleep,...

Excellent place to stay for ferry, comfortable nights sleep, was leaving early for ferry before breakfast was served but was kindly provided a great goody bag to go, much appreciated

I couldn't fault this hotel.
    • Churchill Suite

I couldn't fault this hotel. On our way to a wedding in Ireland , so handy for the ferry. Clean and comfortable with our own separate lounge area to relax in and beautiful views .

fantastic
    • Churchill Suite

brilliant hotel Host Paul was very friendly and most helpful this is a great place to stay we will use this hotel again we had a suite and was better than we expected .cookies chocolates and loads of coffee and tea choices to have in our room breakfast was also very good lots of choices I would rate this place 5 star plus

Wonderful hotel in a quiet setting.
    • Gloucester Suite

Only a minor thing but satellite channels on the TV instead of Freeview would improve the experience a little.

An absolute joy from start to finish. Check in was fast and efficient by the owner who was exceedingly friendly and knowledgeable about the local area and the restaurants etc. which are mainly in Stranraer which is only 5 minutes away by car or the hotel will book you a taxi. The hotel does not do evening meals or have an alcohol license. We stayed in The Garden Suite which was fabulous, modern furnishings, a separate sitting room, a large bathroom with both a bath and a walk in shower and a very clever television! The bedding smelt freshly laundered and the bed was super comfy and double king size. Lots of little extra touches to make your stay an enjoyable one, even a little flask of proper milk for your tea or coffee instead of those little plastic cartons. The Scottish breakfast was delicious if you want a filling start to the day (haggis!) but there are lots of healthier options if you prefer. Set in a rural location it was very quiet at night and there was no road noise from the A77 even though a lot of traffic uses it for the ferry to and from Cairnryan. All in all I'd say that this hotel is better than most of the 5 star hotels I've stayed in. No scrub that it is better than all the ones I've stayed in - by a long way.

Brilliant

Absolutely there was nothing I didnt like.

I have stayed in many hotels but this exceeded all that I expected. Absolutely outstanding from the moment we stepped past the front door until our departure we were treated like royalty. the comfort . brekfast & the service was delightful.

Great parking, excellent reception when I arrived. Great room and packed breakfast for

The offer of a fresh flask of milk instead of the usual uht pots! The breakfast pack left in a cooler outside my room as I was leaving before the dining room opened.

We were heading over to Ulster for a family funeral and the stay cheered us up,

Our GF toast was slightly over done but perfectly edible.

Delicious food and every effort was made to make our gluten free need no problem. Even the biscuits in the room were suitable for us. The was an amazing individual starter of fresh fruit on natural yoghurt on GF oats to our breakfast. The cooked breakfast was good as well.

Location,service, comfort

Everything. The proprietor was very helpful, the room was spotless and very comfortable, the facilities are very fine throughout and the breakfast was of excellent standard.

Perfect!

Absolutely nothing to dislike about the hotel!

The owner was very welcoming and extremely helpful. There was everything you could possibly need or want in the room. Gorgeous decor and antique pieces of furniture and best breakfast ever!

Excellent and friendly service, a very comfortable night’s sleep and a delicious breakfast.

No complaints about this property

We were offered a free cancellation due to construction noise outside, and when we declined to cancel, we were given a free upgrade to a beautiful suite.

Fantastic!

there is nothing not to like about this facility, even if you try it would be hard to find something to dislike.

this was by far the best stay I have had in a long time, great place very clean and fresh, fantastic welcome from the staff, breakfast was better than some 5* hotels I have stayed in. I would recommend this location to anyone!

Perfect stay for anyone wanting a bit of comfort & style

Lovely single room, free wiifi, all you needed coffee, biscuits etc. I liked the added addition of the slippers and bathrobe. Quite room and a very comfortable bed. Breakfast was perfect with a lovely choice and catering for dairy free.

Fantastic place with a wonderful "room" and a great breakfast to get us on our way.

Absolutely nothing.

On arrival we were warmly greeted . We had booked a superior room but on arrival we were offered a free upgrade to the garden room. It was really a self contained apartment with a separate lounge, bathroom and bathroom. There was a TV in every room including a very clever one in the bathroom!! The kitchenette had full facilities including a microwave and fridge. Our host gave us a flask of milk so that we could make extra tea or coffee if we wished. Our host also gave us a useful map of places to get dinner that evening. Stranraer is just a few minutes down the road and has lots of eating places. The breakfast room is a very large room with a beautiful grandfather clock. Breakfast was excellent with everything you could wish for including the full Scottish if you wanted it. The whole place smacks of attention to detail and we are already planning a return visit early next year. Highly recommended.

Very comfy and reasonably priced.

Wifi dropped briefly for about 10 mins

Very comfy bed and fantastic bathroom towel heater. I was welcomed and given a fresh flask of milk (to add to my tea). I arrived late and left quite early so not much more to say other than everything was perfect.

Perfect thank you

Nothing I didn't like

The quality of the room and the stunning ensuite and I found everyone so welcoming and because I left before breakfast got a breakfast bag left for me outside my room when I was leaving in the morning..... Everything was just perfect if definately stay again

Friendly and attentive owners.

Friendly and attentive owners. All areas are immaculately clean with many personal touches which create a homely environment. Single beds are of a larger than normal size and rooms don't feel cramped. Very quiet. Couldn't hear a thing from other guests.

Have thoroughly recommended it to everyone I have spoken to about the trip.

Top class accommodation and facilities. Even a TV in the bathroom! Bed super comfy and big. Eggs benedict for breakfast cooked to perfection. Charming host.

Highly recommend as a stopover or longer stay as the scenery is great.

Everything was 10/10, nothing not to like.

We were given a very warm welcome. Our booking was for a superior room and we were offered a suite which was extremely comfortable and well appointed. The breakfast was generous and there was a very varied menu. We had different options and both were delicious. Our visit was a stopover before catching the Cairnryan ferry but we would have liked to stay longer as it was so welcoming.

Absolutely fantastic!!
    • Churchill Suite

On arrival we were given a free upgrade, absolutely fantastic! The service, quality and friendliness was second to none. Will definitely be returning soon.

An exceptional break

Staying longer!

This is a guest house where the owners go out of their way to make a visit one to really remember. This is an exceptional guest house in every conceivable way. The rooms are beyond what most hotels would offer being very spacious and very well appointed indeed. Try NOT to miss breakfast as it was so delicious within a splendid dining room.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Extremely clean and very quiet. I couldn't fault it.

Exceptional cleanliness and better than any hotel I have recently stayed in. Staff were attentive and very helpful. Just down the road (5 mins) from Cairnryan Stenna Port so very handy for my early morning ferry. As I left before 7am the staff provided me with a carry-out breakfast. Nothing was too much and the restaurant they recommended for dinner was also excellent.

Excellent value

Didn't sell food in the evening or drinks but I knew that before.

The room was very clean and had everything tea coffee. Shower was always hot modern room sky freeview. The breakfast was very good something you would find in a 5 star hotel. We use again

The room were absolutely beautiful .

The room were absolutely beautiful . You could see that nothing but perfection was acceptable to the owners . This was evident in every aspect of our stay . The dining room set for breakfast was just beautiful with the freshest food and amazing view to go with it. We all said in our 3 week travels around Ireland , Scotland and England this was one of the highlights . Thank you for a wonderful memory and would recommend you and your B& B to anyone.

Wonderful host!
    • Garden Suite Annexe

Huge appartment with all modern facilities, including a hidden tv in the bathroom. Wonderful host eho even through in free packed breakfast as we had an early morning ferry. Would highly recommend this facility (specifically the garden annex room) for anyone needing a place to stay.

Comfortable overnight stay

I was leaving for an early ferry and a picnic was left for me in a cool box. There are little details in the room - a bottle of water, scissors, chocolates, wine glass and opener (they are not licensed). I stayed just over four years ago and they remembered and standards are still high. I recommend this to lots of friends. Bed was very comfortable and I had a quiet night.

Terrific, modern very stylish every need catered for.

Pity there wasn't a bar

Great attention to detail Very stylish Great choice with in room drinks Great choice for breakfast Very helpful where to eat nearby Fantastic room.

Terrific for the ferry.

Not a dislike, but be prepared to get a taxi into the local town for food. The owner will give you all the information on which to base your culinary decision. The taxi is cheap enough, very prompt.

Greeted by a friendly owner, the room was excellent, as were the room facilities. The breakfast, was fresh, hot, well varied and served in a timely manner.

We stayed one night.
    • Churchill Suite

We stayed one night. The following morning we had our ferry to Ireland. Location is 5 minutes from the ferry terminal. The exterior of the hotel is nothing special, but the interior is excellent decorated with good taste. Our room was spacious and with very nice furniture. The bathroom was bigger than normal. The attention we received was superb.

Amazing historical guest house handily placed for the Cairnryan ferries to Ireland

For those that care about such things, better programmes via Freeview or Freesat on a flat-screen TV is expected these days.

Excellent spot to stay overnight for the morning ferry from Cairnryan. The war-time origin story of the guesthouse to serve the No 2 Military Port is fascinating which explains its singular appearance. The building was a YMCA canteen to serve workers operating the Cairnryan Military Railway being an improbable gift from McVitie and Price in 1943. Excellent place to eat in Stranraer - Henrys Bay House Restaurant. Highly recommended!

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Mark and Rosaleen's ferry to Ireland

The property was wonderful. We went to stay there as we were on the ferry and we didn't want to rush in the morning. The room was delightful and the breakfast spectacular! The room seemed to have everything that one could ever need - to a TV in the bathroom - decadence or what? The owner was a wonderful man - very attentive to our needs. We traveled around the area a bit and went to Port Patrick which is a gem! A bit pricey but well worth any cost!!

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

Very impressive B/B Hotel

Having to come home😣

Worth staying just for the room, WOW, dressing room, bedroom with extra large comfortable bed, seating area with TV, tea & coffee with flask of fresh milk, remote to operate all the lights (husband wants one😊) information & instructions for everything in room, hotel & surrounding area, very helpfull. Think someone has thought if I was staying here what would I want, need or like? it ticked all the boxes. The owner very lovely friendly man very helpfull can't do enough for his guests, without being overpowering. Breakfast is delious lots to choose from, all cooked fresh. Worth staying for more days than stop over before or after Belfast ferry, lovely countryside & gardens to visit. A upmarket B&B in fact better than some 5* hotels we stayed in here & abroad. Will definitely be booking a few days again.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

good accommodation but.....

see above

Very convenient for the ferry to Ireland very clean but breakfast is served at a time that means you wont be able to enjoy it if you are on the early ferry. Also no evening meals are served !!

Short break in Galloway
    • Churchill Suite

Spacious comfortable bedroom with separate sitting area with views of the mountains good choice of cooked breakfast & continental option with ham & cheese

Looking forward to staying longer next time.

The only thing I might change would be the food allergy notifications for the breakfast menu. I know they are required but I think I'd present the menu with more background on the ingredients used, they were very fresh and obviously sourced to a high specification. Move the allergy notification to a page after the breakfast menu with a highlighted note for the visitor to review allergy notification over the page.

Parked up, walked in and taken to room within minutes. Room (single) had everything and I mean everything - tv (well positioned), side table with clock alarm, teapot, condiments galore, bottle of mineral water, corkscrew and more. Spotless en suite which included lovely thick towels warmed on towel rail. Bed was very comfortable with high quality linen sheets. Breakfast in beautifully dressed restaurant was perfect. The potted history described in the welcome pack talks of the building starting life in army use and moving on through the ages to become what it is now, a delightful resting spot for the weary traveller.

The best hotel I have ever stayed at.
    • Churchill Suite

Wish we could have stayed longer.

For a small bed and breakfast place the accommodation was 1st class.we had a suite with 2 rooms and bathroom. This place puts larger hotels to shame.the owner was friendly and helpful.

best bed and breakfast we have stayed in

Don't know where it could be improved.

Liked everything in the bed and breakfast, you couldn't fault it on anything,only thing was I wish we had booked in for 2 or 3 nights.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

Fantastic attention to detail

Fire place in bedroom with electric fire, wine glasses and bottle opener, robes and slippers. A Gluten Free snack on the tea/coffee tray as I had asked for a Gluten Free breakfast. Large comfy bed, spotlessly clean and owner was very attentive.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

the best b and b out there

absolutely nothing

i cannot fault this place. everything about my stay here was fantastic.the owners are lovely,very welcoming and nothing is too much trouble.the room has every thing and more that you could ask for.but what makes it for me is all the special touches.nice toiletries,dressing gown and slippers and even a flask of fresh milk for your tea and as a nice xmas touch a mince pie!there is no restaurant but it does not matter as there is a comprehensive snack menu including hot food or you can bring something in and eat in the dining room.breakfast was simply the best with a full veggie option FANTASTIC! i was on my way to dublin and i usually do the journey in one go but as it was xmas i decided to break the journey here and boy am i glad i did. thank you so much for a great stay i will definately be back

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

Excellent location for the ferry but offers so much more...

Excellent location for the ferry but offers so much more than just somewhere to sleep on the way. Very comfortable room, good breakfast and so many nice little touches that shows they have really thought about what people might want.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Great experience

Great location & hosts. Spacious, clean and nice rooms. Very pleasant atmosphere. Everything is done with style and love. Breakfast was outstanding. Very memorable stay!

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Very clean great location value for money

Price and location

Very clean great location value for money

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Close to ferry port, clean, friendly

Close to ferry port, clean, friendly Would use again.

Spotless

Spotless

Super friendly welcome, excellent room with huge bed and...
    • Churchill Suite

Super friendly welcome, excellent room with huge bed and wonderful bathroom, Wi-fi good. Breakfast was fantastic would definitely stay again

A warm welcome, good nights sleep and superb breakfast!

Everything! Great location, immaculate property, wonderful owners, superb breakfast. A very high end B&B!

My second time here.

My second time here. Charming host and beautifully cooked breakfast👍

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

It was exciting place ;

It was exciting place ;everything was 8star.

Have stayed befor it’s my first choice if I am that way ...

Have stayed befor it’s my first choice if I am that way ,never been able to falt it

Great beds

Great beds

Everything was first rate

Everything was first class from arrival to departure.

All aspects of stay were of a high standard , could find no fault with the room or service

Pleasant owner , comfortable bed , very clean room slept really well which is unusual for me when I am away from home.

Great location, great staff, great food, excellent spot to stay

Friendly staff

Excellent hotel in great location

Excellent hotel in great location

Everything, location, aspect, eclectic furniture, host, room...

Everything, location, aspect, eclectic furniture, host, room, breAkfast ...

First class accommodation which is very convenient to ferry terminal.

Breakfast was excellent

Aggressive owner

Paul

Got a abused by Paul

By loch ryan

Busy main road

Very well equipped...nicely furnished room.very welcoming manager.

The room was beautiful

The room was beautiful

Nice stay good breakfast

Bed

Paul was awesome!

Paul was awesome! He made us feel right at home.

Lovely cooked breakfast and very peaceful hotel.

Lovely cooked breakfast and very peaceful hotel.

The view