Reviews of Risley Hall Hotel Derby Nottingham 3 stars

Derby Road, Risley, DE72 3SS, United Kingdom

#2 of 2 hotels in Risley

6.2

Just as expected from previous visits. Orangery is nice setting to eat.

Nothing really. Perhaps the room could have been slightly cleaner (some dust in places) but only to be expected in old character properties like this. Would definitely stay again. This is about our 3rd or 4th visit.

Great location for an overnight stop close to the M1. Nice hotel grounds. We had a big spacious room.

Attractive hotel let down by plumbing and food

Bathroom very tired, mucky bath/shower sealant, cold tap ran hot! and tasted foul, we had to buy bottled water for cleaning teeth and making tea etc. Food poor, sent back supper and breakfast, plus £12.50 for breakfast if like me you only want coffee and toast is expensive, there should be a "lite" option

Bedroom good, grounds and building attractive

I ordered the Homemade fish n chips from their menu, but...

I ordered the Homemade fish n chips from their menu, but when I got my meal it was clear that it was pre made and cooked there. I was expecting fresh fish and battered and cooked on site. Despite that it tasted ok.

Ok. Wouldnt stay again unless new cleaner appointed

Cleanliness

The rooms was lovely but it needed a thorough clean. The bathroom was filthy. Breakfast was brilliant. Most staff were helpful. Overall just a dirty room. Windows, tiles disgusting

Disappointing but glad we got a full refund.

Some staff need customer service training and to be professional. Rooms are tired and need updating.

We got a full refund (and the manageress was very understanding) because the room was shabby and the extractor fans from the kitchen were not turned off (despite on 2 occasions being told they would) so we had the noise all night. The night staff knew we would request to change rooms therefore hid from reception and did not answer the telephone. We tried to find them on several occasions. Breakfast was lovely though but some of the staff were just unprofessional - reception staff eating a fry up at the desk for example.

Staff were great, room was great, we had a great time again.

We were disappointed that the spa wasn't available. Last time we came, we spent 2 days relaxing by the pool and were looking forward to doing the same again. The website did mention that the spa was closed but only in the small print and it wasn't obvious at all.

Don't go if you're expecting a bright, new, shiny hotel. Risley Hall is about 500 years old and is full of nooks, crannies oak panelling and an eclectic mix of furniture. If you're looking for character, Risley Hall is great.

Needs more tlc and better managed.

Our room felt uncomfortable. Was haunted apparently. The bathroom looked like the one in 'saw' film. The toilets next to the kitchen are in such a poor state. Not nice the bride trying to visit in there. Spa wasn't open...thankfully as by the looks of it it needs work to be called one. Cash injection in this hotel could make it one of the best.

The music room was a nice space. I think the hotel just needs to be more organised. Food was nice but service unorganized. Food wasn't hot enough by the time our veg arrived, it was served all wrong for a function...tip is to put gravy jugs on tables and have someone follow with veg straight away. Our soup was nice but cold on arrival. Why not use a soup kettle and serve in the room to save the long journey from the kitchen. Not sure this place can cope with functions. Pleasant staff here.

Adequate.

It took us an hour to find the hotel after we came off the M1. We used the postcode given with the hotel address and our sat nav took us to an entirely different village. Only when we found a postman did we find out where to go. The postman commented that he had come across others having the same problem. It wasn't helped as we could not get any answer when we phoned the hotel for directions when we realised we were lost.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

First night absolute nightmare with no apology at all from the manager. Second night ok
    • Superior Suite

Checked in early as going to a festival, was told they would put our bags in our room when it was ready, a superior suit. Got back told them the room number and was given the key, showed them the check in card with room number on it. Got to our room and no bags, took them 50 minutes to find our bags. They had changed our room but the staff on didn’t know. Finally got into a different smaller suite and the toilet didn’t flush, told them but wasn’t fixed. My partner ended up fixing it. Put my phone on charge and the plug didn’t work, yes I had turned the plug on. No apology from the manager. Guy who checked us in was tall man with blonde hair, I thought he was very rude and patronising, he was the one who messed up our room and bags but didn’t even acknowledge it when we checked out. Check out is at 10.30am was making sure my son had everything when he phoned at 10.40 to let me know check out was 10.30. Second time we have stayed there, after the way we were treated definitely won’t be staying again.

Very quiet set in lovely grounds.

Lovely hotel, beautiful location, needs updating but has everything you need for a comfortable stay.

The pool and spa were still closed due to renovation. The bathroom had been recently decorated but wasn’t perfect, floor tile near toilet loose and quite sharp around the edges (bring your slippers!!) Bathroom curtains wouldn’t close properly, had to climb up and attach them to runners where they had come off, and the tie back holder had fallen out the wall. No voile at windows, so no privacy when curtains opened in either bathroom or bedroom. Door to room very heavy and creates a huge bang when closing... may trap little fingers if not careful and also wakes you up when other guests return to there rooms! Very limited staff (staff in reception also doing breakfasts, bar etc) Coat hangers in naff wardrobes (which door didn’t close properly)only suitable for trousers,jumpers, or shirts, struggled to hang dresses, but there is an iron. Breakfast was tasty but nothing special, should be included in the price

Bed, big and very comfy with an assortment of pillows. Lovely big airy bathroom and huge bath! Staff (when found)were very friendly and helpful Beautiful location, and lovely gardens.

Business only to be honest and dont pay to much per night.
    • Suite

Room getting old..curtains badly need replacing, ripped to shreds! Spa closed, even though said it had a Spa?! Very limited Restaurant Menu.

Staff was friendly.

Comfortable stay. Grounds were great. Service needs improving. Building needs renovating

Shower head not the cleanest. Not many staff about. Had to chase them down. Building needs renovating quite urgently as its run down.

Comfortable room. Great location, building and the grounds are wonderful. Bit of money spent on this would make it a hit for sure

A nice period building with lots of features, and nice grounds. Could do with a bit of a refresh

Room on top floor was very hot at night - only a very small desk fan, and window quite small so difficult to get a cooling draft into the room. Shower pressure was not great

Great breakfast. Lovely spacious room with large ensuite bathroom

Lovely room location shame about the state of it
    • Suite

Cleanliness needs resolving at this hotel ! Our bathroom looked like it hadn’t been cleaned in months. I own a cleaning business , if it wasn’t for the fact I had booked it as a surprise to my husband I would have gone down and requested to move. There was a used tissue under our bed we didn’t want to move as who knows what it was used for. Huge stains all over the carpet and the bathroom was so bad we went home to shower the next day. Fridges should be in the room also, our drinks we took were warm and strawberries mouldy as we had nowhere to store them. It is a big problem. The grounds are looking rather shabby, the spa wasn’t open which we were disappointed with.

I loved how quiet the hotel was, loved walking around the grounds. Staff were friendly and polite. Bed was comfy.

Ideal for a short break

Not easy access to the room wuth young children as lift only to first floor. Coffee at breakfast was poor.

Location, room, helpful and friendly staff

Lovely looking building in beautiful grounds but very disappointing accommodation.
    • Suite

The small toilet in our room had no water for use in the hand basin. The headboard had a thick coating of dust on it which would not have got there in a couple of days, and was quite disgusting. The blanket in the wardrobe left a lot to be desired. With a little bit of care and attention our suite could have been lovely but just was not cleaned properly and was in need of decoration.

The shower in the bath was really powerful and the breakfast was excellent.

Risley Hall

There was nothing we didn't like ,apart from we only stayed one night

Beautiful house ,very quirky.Loved all the different rooms and how cosy it was

Excellent breakfast

The room wasn't as clean as it could be also there was a window in the roof which I had to stand on a chair to close. There was no way of closing the blind on this window and because the window had been left open there was debris all over the bed.

Excellent breakfast

Amazing value, wonderful grounds and a great sized room!

The decorators could have took a little more time.... paint on the bath n tiles in a few places, skirting boards not painted.... a little bit of effort on decoration that room would have been amazing!

Forty quid for the Sunday night in that room was amazing value.

Peaceful stay in an old-style country hotel.

Some of the bathroom fittings are tired and probably due for a refurbishment and I was told this is planned under the new management. The Booking system (booking . com fault) failed to register 2 rooms on my booking, despite the confirmation email, but this was rectified by the staff without fuss.

Good English breakfast and friendly and helpful staff and service. The location and exterior of the property is very attractive. Internally there is wooden panelling in the bar and communal areas, and the decor and furniture exude an old-fashioned charm and tranquillity. Rooms are spacious, comfortable and individual in decor and layout.

Not recommended

The bedroom was so hot even though the heating was off and the window was open. The whole building is tired and not well kept. Although my bedroom was fine my colleagues had holes in bed sheets and dents in the wall. The food was average with not a large menu. The waiter was very nice as was the reception lady but unfortunately the building its self was not very inviting.

The breakfast was cooked fresh

Unwelcoming and unclean.
    • Suite

Staff seemed disinterested in whether I was there or not. A veneer of efficiency masked the reality of an underlying disinterest in scarce staff, a lack of quality control and a concerning general uncleanliness in the facilities and perticularly in my room. Highlights:A dirty toothbrush in the bathroom, a light switch that didn't work, flat batteries in the TV remote, a beer can lying in the corridor for the first 22 hours of my stay. At breakfast I was told they could do fried eggs but not poached ones. Just about sums it all up.

The location is good.

Despite the tiredness of the bedrooms we enjoyed the food and our stay. Can’t expect world for £75!

Lack of staff on our stay. Tired bedrooms. Cold tap had to be run for a while to stop it from being warm

Staff very friendly, building fabulous. Food good, especially breakfast.

Amazing hotel. Beautiful and comfortable throughout

The staff went above and beyond to make our stay perfect. Thank you

The value for money was the best I have stayed in some very expensive hotels in my time that didn't come close to here. Will definately be returning!!

Lovely hotel and staff but it needs a little more love and investment in it.

Room let down by the bathroom facilities - lovely old roll top bath and huge mixer tap,very high side of bath made it difficult to climb into and it was difficult to regulate the water temperature, either scalding hot or cold.The bath as a feature looks lovely,however practically and perhaps safety and economically wise it would be better to fit a shower unit. Also perhaps investing in some new quilts - the one on the bed was quite thin and it was cold overnight.

Stayed in room 9 - really lovely room,clean and the old beams and decoration are lovely. Gentleman on reception very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast choice was very good and waitress was lovely - Eggs benedict freshly prepared and delicious.

Would recommend,

Having to pay cash at check in has i do not believe in credit cards and reception would not except my debit card even though it was visa, I honestly thought i had paid on booking so it was my oversight,

room was wonderful as expected. was very cold and snowy outside but we were warm enough,and loved the features and character of the hotel and grounds,

An okay Stay!
    • Suite

Bath overflow was leaking No tray in shower! (my pet hate, where do you put your shower gel??) Building was tired in places and lacked atmosphere, very quiet.

Staff very freindly and helpful Food was excellent Good nights sleep

It made a sad visit to the area more relaxing and pleasant
    • Double or Twin Suite

choice of colour for décor was good throughout, but the quality of decoration was poor with paint splashed on windows. toilet seats and dressing table chair

The room was large with a large sitting area, huge bathroom with 2 washbasins ,good shower, bath and an additional toilet and washbasin in the sitting area. the food was excellent with special note of the excellent breakfast cooked to order, with buffet area attractively presented

Nothing special

The bedrooms are very basic in comparison to the communal areas and lacked any original features that you might expect in a historic building. The spa and pool were closed when I visited. It was understaffed. It felt like they had wound down for the winter.

The hotel is set in nice grounds. There is a bar and restaurant and the communal areas are impressive.

Beautiful hotel, great staff working hard but let down by the food served in the evening
    • Double or Twin Suite

The evening meal was the only disappointment. . The hotel was quiet the night we stayed, so I guess they only had a skeleton staff on duty. Menu choice was small and expensive in my opinion for the meal served to us. As this was a "treat "overnight stay for my daughter and l, I didn't make a fuss. My starter was a very small portion of prawns padded out with lettuce which had seen better days, and my main meal of fish was served with oven chips. More cheap pub grub than restaurant quality

The staff where excellent, helping me to sort problems I had with the date I booked, prior to my visit and promptly sorting a minor issue about how the beds were configured on arrival. We were allocated a suite, which made the stay extra special . Good breakfast

It was quiet the room large and the public rooms were...

The room we stayed in needs refurbishing, especially the bathroom which unfortunately had not been fully cleaned, taps leaked and rather botched repairs were evident everywhere with the cheapest of bendy plastic toilet seats. There is a lot of work to be done for the interior to match the old grand exterior.

It was quiet the room large and the public rooms were pleasant

A pleasant stay in a beautiful building with great staff. I'd happily stay again.

The morning after the first night, both taps in the bathroom sink were giving out hot water. The morning after the second night this wasn't the case so I'm not sure if this was just a temporary glitch? The wife didn't like the fact that the radiator in the bathroom (which as mentioned, didn't seem to work), holding the towels, was so far away from the bath. A fridge in the room would have been very useful. It's a shame too that the Spa wasn't available as the wife would have appreciated that too.

A lovely old building. In need of some attention in places but, it's the little quirks of staying in old buildings that I actually enjoy. The Lady Sarah room was clean and very spacious, though a little hot on the first night which, contrasted with the bathroom which was pretty cold because the radiator didn't seem to be working but, I actually found the cool bathroom to be quite refreshing. The staff were very helpful, welcoming, chatty (in a positive sense)... overall it was a very pleasant stay and I'd be very happy to stay again.

Very glad we visited, it is a gem of Englishness.

We had two rooms booked and our friends was lovely, bright and warm (room 6) but ours had not been heated so it was a freezer upon arrival although staff were really helpful and got extra heaters to help. Oddly our room (room 10) was gloomy compared to our friends, better lighting needed and maybe a bit more character put in there to be cosy, also the bathroom floor is slightly more than a bit tired so please sort that out. Oh and please set up tables by the window for breakfast so people don't have to move.

Absolutely beautiful building, real old England for a bargain price, very special place to stay and very convenient for the motorway. Friendly staff (well the one person we saw) and a beautiful breakfast (Eggs Benedict were perfect). We expected old and quirky and if you want character then this is for you, if you want plastic perfection then be boring and go to a Premier Inn. Hats off to the blonde receptionist who was also room attendant, waiter and probably the cook, gardener and cleaner too!! I hope they pay you well, you deserve it!

Awful
    • Suite

Most things to be honest. Staff were rude the food was poor, spa was closed and service in general was shockingly bad!

I only liked the location and the room was ok just not clean enough l

Breakfast was excellent.

The over bath shower had rather too low pressure.

Breakfast was excellent. The waitress remained alert to guests needs even when concentrating on serving other tables.

OK

The room we had was in need of attention. Specifically,the radiator in the WC was locked on and it made the room very hot. In fact, neither this radiator nor the one in the main room were adjustable. We had to ask for a remote for the television. Although the room itself was pleasant enough, it could be made a lot more cosy and welcoming, even with a couple of pictures on the wall.

Nice building and grounds. Free parking. Functional wi-fi. Nice breakfast.

Adequate , but not up to the reputation I had heard.

Reception area could be a lot better if it was larger and better decoration. The on suit toilet was very difficult to flush , we didn't like the Victorian plumbing, very high sided bath. The bar area had an open fire just!. could have been cosier with a bit more fuel on it.

Never again

Room was freezing cold, didn't heat up. Also, toiletries were ridiculously small and not enough. Breakfast wasn't great either.

Room was nice and spacious.

It's ok

Waiting over an hour for breakfast when there was only one other couole in the breakfast room. No working toaster, continental very disappointing and staff took over 30 mins tontake our breakfast order. Whilst the room was good the bathroom was dirty with hairs in bath and stained towels.

Our room was very spacious and comfortable although it was very cold with the radiator in but not heating up fully. Good location

Dated hotel needs a makeover

Hotel needed updating, couldn't shower as it leaked into bar underneath! Stayed two nights and had to move rooms and refused a third room

Location was lovely

Breakfast was fantastic, the staff in the morning was very...

When we arrived we weren't greeted in a friendly manner at all, the room was boiling hot and we did request them to turn it down but didn't appear any different.

Breakfast was fantastic, the staff in the morning was very welcoming and pleasant. When we mentioned our unpleasant welcome on arrival, the operations manager was so lovely and apologetic.

A Fantastic Place To Stay!

Nothing - perfect!

Everything! Perfect from beginning to end. A well appointed luxury suite, ample parking, great WiFi and a superb breakfast! I’m returning next week it was that good!

Friendly and helpful staff - extra points to the chef for...

Furniture out of style with the room - lovely old building, exposed beams and stonework, with gaudy pink gold lamé glass tables. The decor needs refreshing and tidying up generally.

Friendly and helpful staff - extra points to the chef for coming up with additional (and tasty) veggie options to the menu.

Don't go there
    • Superior Suite

Everything apart from the breakfast which was lovely

Disgusting no net curtains everyone can see straight into your rooms no privacy far to hot to noisy from the outside decor appalling will never come here again not worth the 117 pound !!!

Had a lovely stay for our friends wedding
    • Deluxe Double Room

We were told by email that we could check in early only to be told when we got there that we couldn't (even tho I had been told our room hadn't been occupied the night before) we were there for a wedding & luckily we were already dressed otherwise we would have been stuck! The rooms were quite warm

The breakfast was lovely! Great selection & the cooked food was very hot.

Staff very helpful and polite.

Bathroom could have been cleaned better - tiled floor dirty with long dark hairs left on it.

Staff very helpful and polite. Room lovely with original old beams. Meal in restaurant very nice, even though alone, with staff being very attentive.

Ok for an overnight stop that was not a special occasion.

Room 7 above kitchens and very noisy from 4am, it was cold and we needed a heater

Pleasant location convenient to motorway good DBB rate available. Bed comfy. Very good breakfast.

Comfortable, friendly hotel with lots of character and charm. Always love staying here.
    • Suite

The spa was out of action (but we knew that when we booked it )- but having been here several times before - it was always a lovely added bonus. The night we stayed over, some of the staff were off sick with the Flu virus so the receptionist was also the Bar lady etc. However, the staff were friendly and helpful - just rushed off their feet.

Lovely suite and comfortable beds. Very friendly staff - but unfortunately they were few due to a flu virus. The staff that were there coped admirably and deserved a medal for the service they provided with a smile

short stay but hotel fine for our needs

The hotel is in need of some TLC which lets the overall feel and look of the hotel down

Location for visiting family Quite and peaceful room and location and staff helpful

Stayed as a family for two nights, rooms great and spacious. Food and grounds excellent.

Staff were excellent. Building and furnishings very traditional. Food excellent, great to able to order a cooked breakfast that was cooked to order rather than buffet style.

Suited the purpose of our trip well.

The lights on the hallway outside the room stayed on all night making the room too bright so had a broken night sleep (only an issue if you're used to a pitch black room I guess!), staff didn't look up or make eye contact when I came in or checked out so can't really comment on whether they were helpful/friendly.

Good location for the purpose of our trip, I was only there from 10pm-8am but it was comfortable with a good shower. My partner ate and said the food was very good.

Good venue, great building could be improved
    • Deluxe Double Room

Great hotel however some issues, we had a suite but water flow for the shower very poor almost to the point of asking for another room to shower, the shower was over a nice old style bath but to run a bath would have taken near to an hour. I did think enjoy the bath but.... Breakfast I thought for the price would have fresh fruit salad instead of tinned peach slices in syrup.cuasant I went to have was like a brick, hit it on the table and did not break. Chose breakfast from the menu and advised ham not available waiting delivery also asked for smoked salmon on the menu, also not available, waiting delivery, was offered before leaving as delivery had come. Another person asked for honey from the jams and preserves, not available so a catering bottle from the kitchen was supplied but also near empty. Laundry bags in the lift for the 2 days of our visit. The bar service and bar food was first class. Venue was first class.

Okay
    • Deluxe Double Room

In my aunts room, the wardrobe door fell off and hurt her. Reported the wardrobe door twice to reception. Nobody fixed it during our 2 day stay. In our room when you turned the cold water tap on, you got hot water. Both taps had hot water coming through. We booked 2 rooms. Rooms tired, could be made beautiful, but, made the most of her stay

Location good, beautiful building and grounds. Breakfast was excellent. Price good

Very poor acomidation

The room was very dusty not been cleaned for a while. The tea making facility was inadequate it was on a table but nowhere to plug it in ?? There was one double plug with the tv plugged in and this was a faulty socket. Also the heating wasn’t working very well so they had to give us a noisy electric fan heater. And it was freezing all in all it was a poor stay in a beautiful house/hotel with a little tlc it would be lovely

The building and surrounding area are lovely

Nice staff but the hotel and rooms badly need updating particularly the bathroom.

Dusty everywhere. Room needed upgrading and the bathroom needed upgrading many years ago. Not what you expect in a hotel.

Food was good especially the cooked breakfast. The lounges were very nice. The staff were all very nice and friendly.

I'm going to have to think of a reason to go back!
    • Deluxe Double Room

They seemed a little short-staffed at breakfast. We had a half hour wait for hot food. My friend, staying in a suite in the annex, ordered a newspaper but had to collect it from reception. It should really have been delivered to read before breakfast.

My room was beautiful - characterful and comfortable. The grounds were lovely and full of wildlife (birds and squirrels).

Staff were helpful , restaurant food was great , annexe and bedroom less that 2 star or average B&B
    • Deluxe Twin Room

Bedroom suite? Cheapest possible fit out. Bathroom in dreadful condition, a 4 inch nail sticking out of the skirting under the shower , odd tiles stuck into shower wall, rough pain and decor, tiny TV in cabinet in suite lounge, not in bedroom, beside lamps turned wrong way to bed , resulting in on/off switch being on opposite side of the bedside cabinet. The room was lowest standard through out as was entrance to the Annex , shocking joinery around entrance door and the main hall was utterly bereft of atmosphere or warmth, a totally sterile environment with odd chairs scattered around with non matching tables , dire!

Restaurant food

Overall a pleasant & comfortable stay, and worth booking if looking to stay in the area.
    • Deluxe Double Room

The rooms could use a little TLC, they were clean with fresh bed lining etc but the carpets were a tad stained which could be a tad off putting if you are the over fussy kind.

Lovely breakfast and quaint little bar which was open late (always a bonus). Ample onsite parking and the rooms were spacious. Warm, friendly and helpful staff. Slightly on the quiet side but I assume that's because of the renovation taking place at the spa. But overall a pleasant and comfortable stay.

Wouldn't like to pay full price. You get what you pay for

plastic cups. broken tiles on bathroom floor.dirty or non existent grouting on flooring.cold water was tepid. The old brass taps were difficult to turn and various bits fell of the shower. Bedroom l walls were bare bar a mirror.Bed room contained a mishmash of kitch and antique.The public rooms were let down by a distinct lack of clients,only 2 other couples dining and no one else in bar. The 2 fireplaces would have welcomed being lit. The food was barely warm and was a dollop of mashed gloopy potato upon which sat a piece of belly pork with a fatty /gelatinous top(difficult to tell,I was looking forward to some crispy crackling) this all sat in a pool of white sauce of somekind. I was glad we had booked room only so no breakfast . The disabled parking was unusable as it was sitting in water and mud and leaves.

The building itself was a beautiful manor house,with some character and the beds were comfortable. The bedroom was clean (except barhroom.)

The stay was overall good but with a bit of staff training and staff taking an intesrest in the job
    • Deluxe Double Room

Staff need a lot of training I asked the breakfast staff what time check out was she said she didn't no she also did not tell me where buffet table was as it was in another room. The restaurant was painted all white maybe a bit of colour would be good shades of grey would be nice

bed was nice, room needs up dating however it was a good stay

Step back into history and enjoy the grandeur of a stately home.

A post code which the satnav was happy with!!! There were so many Derby Roads in the area that the Satnav became confused. Putting 'Borrowash' into the satnav worked. However it was worth this inconvenience.

It was an beautiful old building in stunning grounds. We have never stayed in anything like this. It was like a stately home and very grand. There were interesting pieces of furniture dotted around the hotel and the decor was in keeping with the style and age of the property. The food was excellent and the staff members were extremely friendly and very obliging.

Very comfortable bed, large room, nice decor. Disappointed with the bathroom

The bathroom was poor. Paint yellowing and was in very poor condition. Grouting not finished. Shower cubicle rusty. Warm water from the cold tap

Room was huge, very nice, comfortable and very pleasant views from the windows

A big improvement on my last stay here

The bathroom was still very tired and the bedding could be a bit more luxurious, but I'm sure this will be addressed in time.

I've stayed in this hotel on business many times over the last 3 years, but stopped coming due to lack of cleanliness and unproffesional staff. This was my first visit this year and I was really pleased to see that some of the problems are now finally being addressed. This was the first time the hotel felt clean, which has been a big problem in the past. The food was good, and there was a big improvement in the staff. There is still a lot of work to be done, but it definitely feels like it's going in the right direction.

It was ok

No actual assess to cold running water... They stated they dsupplied bottked water and were aware of the problem but we had none in the room. No glasses just mugs supplied. The temperature of the room was soooo hot and no option for us to turn it down. We were disappointed with the room goven to us as it was very basic compared to the images on the net when booking

The setting and gardens were amazing

Disappointing and misled re facilities

The hotel needs upgrading - menu in dining room terrible when we arrived. It is tired and shabby. Breakfast poor. Noisy on weekday mornings as lots of itinerant workers occupying rooms so early start for them. It could be lovely but needs a lot of money spending on it.

Very friendly and helpful staff.

Average

Very disorganised inexperienced staff. Poorly stocked bar. Decor in public and private rooms tired with cracked tiles and dirty carpets. Spa facilities closed. This was not mentioned on the Booking.com site although the hotel did email to inform us of this fact after we had made the booking.

Good location, lovely old building.

Ok not the best
    • Deluxe Double Room

First room they put us in was terrible asked to be moved and they gave us another room which was a lot better staff wasn't the friendliest of people either

Breakfast and meals were all excellent, well cooked and well...

The room was at the top of the hotel with roof lights, whic precluded any view out, in addition thehre was no way of opening the blind.

Breakfast and meals were all excellent, well cooked and well served. The hotel was comfortable and all facilities worked well. The wi fi was one of the best i have experienced in a hotel

Really enjoyed our stay despite the room temperature. Would definitely consider staying again.

The room was very hot and having the window open all night made no difference. I

The dinner in the evening was delicious and the staff were professional and friendly. We were made really welcome. The hotel is in lovely grounds and the decor inside is nicely done.

Great period building
    • Deluxe Double Room

Room was outdated....broken ceramic taps and plumbing that screamed when the taps were turned on. Tired splendor that needs seriously updating

Great period building

Made to feel particularly special. Staff were exemplary. Breakfast was delicious.
    • Deluxe Double Room

You know it's a good stay when the only bad thing you can think of is that there was a waste paper bin missing by the desk (and even that was rectified before we left)! Every hotel could benefit from a bit of updating and Risley Hall is no exception, but it is easy to look beyond this when the welcome is so warm.

You know it's a good stay,when the only bad thing you can think of is that there was a waste paper bin missing by the desk (and even that was rectified before we left)! Attentive,personable staff,good breakfast,elegant location with just the right amount of attention to detail to make you feel cared about. Terrific value too!

Not as good as it should have been

menu very restricted and nobody on the bar had to find someone to serve Sat night they had a wedding and out room was directly above a sitting area with a piano and they allowed wedding guests to shout and play piano until the early hours and it kept us awake when I complained it was like the staff did not care about the guests not assiosiated with the wedding and I found that unacceptable it ruined a nice weekend break

Very nice room and surroundings

Pleasant stay in historic house
    • Deluxe Double Room

Trying to find it at night quite difficult as entrance very dark

Very good attentive restaurant staff, especially at breakfast. Nice big characterful rooms. Good meal in restaurant.

It was convenient, comfortable and fine, but there were a few things I didn't expect.

I felt as if I was, very politely, rushed from my pre-dinner drink, to ordering my food, to being asked to go to my table, even although I said the first time I was asked, that I wasn't ready yet, about two minutes passed and I was asked to go through to my table again. The dining room was empty, the hotel was very quiet all evening, I think I only saw two other groups of one to three people there, so it wasn't as if there needed to be a hurried time slot to fit me in! The starter was delicious and the main - lamb shank with mustard mash and carrots, which was fine, but was also served with very dried out twiggy bits of broccoli that were inedible. When the waiter asked if the food was ok, I explained about the broccoli and he offered to get me some other vegetables but I said no because I was almost finished eating. At breakfast the next morning which I had to be down for at 7am, followed closely by two other separate customers. The girl on reception came through and very politely offered us all tea or coffee and explaine that there was cereal, fruit juice and toast through in the side room. She then came back and I ordered scrambled eggs on toast. When it was ready, all of us in the dining room heard someone shout "service" and ring a bell three times spaced apart but nothing happened, so I got up and went through to reception and told the girl there. When it did arrive there was just scrambled egg on the plate, so I went through to look for the toast but there wasn't any there. I asked again and she went off to sort it out but to be honest, I was in a hurry as I had a five hour, time pressured journey ahead of me, so I just ate the eggs and left the hotel. I knew I had paid for everything I had eaten and drunk already, so there was no need for me to stay longer and I didn't have time. I wasn't offered any kind of discount or recompense the previous evening and didn't expect it would be any different in the morning.

The staff on the front desk were very helpful and polite and the guy in the bar who was also the waiter in the evening was very polite too. The bed was comfortable and the room was warm. The starter of my dinner was amazing - asparagus, smoked salmon, poached egg and hollandaise - delicious.

Everything was excellent.

The ladies arrived back at the hotel late on Sunday evening but there was no outside lights to prevent anyone falling over. But it was not a big issue.

The room was very spacious and the bed very comfortable. I booked this room for two ladies attending a funeral. The choice of this hotel was excellent.

Browse Risley Hall Hotel Derby Nottingham traveller photo gallery