Reviews of Rothay Manor Hotel 4 stars

Rothay Bridge, Ambleside, LA22 0EH, United Kingdom

#7 of 12 hotels in Ambleside

• Classic Double Room

It took more than two hours for dinner of just appetiser, main, and dessart. Dishes were beautifully arranged but taste was a little dissapointing for the cost.

We were first assigned a ground floor room. But, upon request, we were given a 1st floor room with balcony without additional charge. Location is very good to both center of the village and lake.

Rothay Manor is a lovely hotel, just a few minutes from the centre of Ambleside. We had room 2, which is on the first floor and has a balcony. It gets the morning sunshine, which is lovely. The room has been renovated to a high standard and I especially liked the Nespresso machine! We opted for the bar menu on our first night and the food was excellent. Breakfast was also enjoyable, with plenty of choice from the menu and some lovely fresh fruit, yoghurt and pastries to help yourself to. We'll definitely return!

• Classic Double Room

The room we stayed in was above the kitchen, so continuous noise and heat till late in the evening, so we couldn’t open the windows. Avoid room 8 if possible.

The restaurant, bar and breakfast area. The Staff was very helpful

A little noisy due to local rugby club revellers..hotel very warm and had to sleep with balcony doors open.

Lovely staff couldnt do enough for us great food and comfy beds.

• Classic Double Room

Some of the exterior, on the roadside, could do with a bit of redecoration and our room was looking a bit “tired”. That said, it didn’t detract from a wonderful 6 days.

The staff were wonderful. Very friendly, knowledgeable about the area. They knew when to engage in conversation and when not to. This was our first hotel stay with our dog and he couldn’t have been made more welcome. The room had a secure courtyard for when he needed it. There was a water bowl, towel, poo bags and treats waiting for us in the room and he was always greeted by the staff with a treat. We could take him in most of the public areas but it was by no means a doggy hotel in that there were plenty of guests without dogs. The food was very good. And the breakfast was fabulous.

Nothing we did not like but maybe the balcony areas of the property could do with a little sprucing up.

Some of the best food we have tasted. We chose the chef's taster menu and recommended flight of wines and, although fairly expensive, was very rewarding and memorable. The breakfast was equally good. Thanks also to the sommelier for his explanations

• Classic Double Room

Loved everything about the Hotel - the food was excellent and in particular the breakfast (the porridge was to die for). We had a beautiful big room convenient to all facilities. Everything was first class.

• King Room with Garden View

We stayed in the Loughrigg Lodge which is a separate bungalow to the main hotel, which was extremely poor and did not represent any of the descriptions / pictures of the rest of the hotel. It is in need of a complete overhaul, updating and modernising. Although the bedrooms were reasonable and bathroom, the carpets were stained and the decor / furnishings very outdated and worn. Such a shame after considering the fact that perhaps the rest of the hotel rooms were in much better condition. The Loughrigg I would suggest is not to the same standard as the rest of the hotel and therefore should not be offered out as similar accommodation to that described in the website.

The dining room was pleasant and the location of the hotel perfect

• Classic Double Room

The room was at the back of the hotel and in the morning had lots of noise by people bringing deliveries. Would ask for a room at the front if stayed again.

The staff were friendly and the food was excellent. The room was clean and kept clean by the staff.

On a very busy road, extremely dated decor inside and out, (bathroom suite and wallpaper in bedroom must be well over 20 years old and not in great shape...bath side falling off, marks on wallpaper - room 5). No hot water on our last day and front of house staff seemed to care very little!! No ones fault of course but at £200 a night and no shower, it felt frustrating!

Extremely clean, great location...5 minutes walk to Ambleside. Large bedroom, nice balcony area with table & chairs.

• Classic Double Room

There was a fault with hot water supply on the Sunday which we reported.5 from a group of six were unable to have a hot shower .No apologies or remuneration given.The woman on reception whilst efficient really lacked personnel skills!!!

Excellent location.Staff extremely friendly especially the female waitress,a very efficient young woman who worked all weekend .Manager very helpful and attentive. Beds extremely comfortable.Food excellent.

The location is convenient for exploring the Lakes - it was quiet even though being near to the centre to Ambleside. The hotel was extremely comfortable with very helpful staff. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and hope to make a return visit later in the year.

• Classic Double Room

Some elements of the room felt quite dated and the hot water tap in our room was very stiff - we had to use a towel to turn it off.

The staff were incredibly friendly and the hotel is in a good location to both walk into Ambleside and walk down to the lake

The sofas in the lounge area had seen better days, threadbare in places and the cushions sunk down in the seats not sure this would warrant 4* hahaha !!!! Still it was a pleasant room. The night before I ordered breakfast to the room, I had ordered one gluten free breakfast and one vegetarian breakfast. When it came the next morning there was no gluten free toast :( Of course I could have rang down and said the gluten free toast was missing but by this time the cooked breakfast would have been cold. Next morning we went down for breakfast as I couldn't be bothered to go down to reception and order it (this I found strange as it is the first hotel I have stayed in where I didn't have the facility to hang the room service order on the bedroom door), anyway when we went down I asked for gluten free toast, my husband was brought 4 pieces of normal toast and I was brought one tiny piece of gluten free toast, I wonder why this would be ? Now I myself and my husband may be greedy but we would both have liked 2 eggs and I would have liked 2 rashers of bacon instead of 1 hahaha !!! Couldn't find an iron in the room as I wanted to iron a top, maybe I didn't look hard enough. No complimentary slippers which I would expect of a 4* hotel. From the outside the hotel could have done with a lick of paint.

The room was very comfortable. The staff were very good friendly but not overbearing, which I find an extremely important part of a hotel stay, a very attractive tall foreign girl/lady and a lovely young sandy haired girl I think she was from London maybe, they were both very professional and friendly. Another guy who reminded me a bit of Gareth Malone only he had darker hair and no glasses or maybe he did have glasses but I don't think he did, he was very friendly too I think he was floating around the reception and maybe the bar. A middle aged gent on the reception very friendly too. And a young girl with dark hair very pleasant. The afternoon tea was excellent and this included the fantastic gluten free afternoon tea, lovely selection of different sandwiches, fresh baked gluten free scones, (a few sultanas would thrown in the scones would have just taken it to the next level, the 4 different gluten free cakes were the best I have ever had. Top marks for the afternoon tea. Bedroom looked like it had recently been refurbished very nice although colour scheme rather dour. Bathroom looked as though it had recently been refurbished and shower was so powerful it almost shot me accross the bathroom, top marks from my husband for this as he loves a power shower. Garden at the font was beautifully tended and lovely trees.

• King Room with Garden View

Food, Unless you want to either pay £45 for fine dining then the only other option is a Bar Menu, which has such treats as a Rib Eye Steak at (as I recall) £25+ BUT this has to be eaten is another room away from the Fine Diners.

Easy to find

• Classic Double Room

Bedroom had few cobwebs and needed painted. Also noisy because of kitchen fan outside window.

Lovely dining room, very good breakfast and staff couldn't be better 😊

• Classic Double Room

We made the mistake of not booking dinner on our second night. We were early, and fortunately we did not have to wait for too long. They sensibly left our used towels for the second night. Some might want a clean towel each day which always seems a waste of energy.

The service was excellent and the food was delicious. The room was comfortable and the shower was great. There was plenty of car parking space and room to load the car outside the front door.

The room was very spacious, beautifully decorated and clean, and the bed was very comfortable (specially after a long day walking!). The room has a small balcony, perfect to enjoy the sun in the morning or look at the stars at night - even though the sky isn't very dark in the area. Although there's no lake view from the hotel, it's just about 10 minutes walk away from Waterhead.

• Classic Double Room

Little bit tired decoration in rooms. Fire in lounge Sunday evening would have been nice. Dinner Menu didn’t suit us.

Friendliness and very accommodating with a pet, even to pets own dining area.

The bed was big but too soft for my taste. The room was also a bit dim which made reading a little difficult. We were planning to eat in the restaurant but the menu really didn't appeal. On our first night fires were lit in both lounges on our second night when we wished to sit and talk to friends the fires weren't lit even though it wasn't particularly warm.The exterior needed more light at night.

Very nice spacious room. Excellent buffet breakfast. The staff could not have been better. The hotel was extremely clean, and had a feeling of being well cared for.

• Suite

I had the cod which was either frozen or was past its sell by date. I did tell the headwater But got a negative response. Breakfast wasn’t much better I had full breakfast with poached egg which was very underdone I put knife into it and fluid came out of it. My partner is a vegetarian she asked for mushrooms & tomatoes & beans. She got a plate with one mushroom one tomatoe a small Pot which was less than half full of beans. This wasn’t a good experience as far as we are concerned. The accommodation was good it was a pity the food was fine dining at its absolutely worst. Regards Tony O’ Connor.

• Classic Double Room

The beds, two singles put together were slightly different heights which wasn't very comfortable.

The room was huge and warm. Bathroom was clean and the shower was excellent. Breakfast was good and the service of staff was excellent.

• Classic Double Room

The only thing that could really have been better is that with our room being so big, it took a little while to warm up. Other than that, we didn’t have any complaints!

Staff were really friendly and couldn’t be more helpful. The hotel was really nice, and had good facilities (although it didn’t have gym so I couldn’t the highest rating above). Our room was huge, had a bath and a shower, and was equipped with hair dryer, bathrobes, tea etc. Breakfast there is amazing, with a great selection, and the staff were really helpful and keen to provide extra coffee/toast etc! You can walk to Ambleside within 5-10 mins and it is a really good place to explore the fells. Keswick is about 25 mins away and coniston is about 20 mins away (to give you an idea of travelling times).

• Classic Double Room

There was nothing I did not like ..

Breakfast was excellent!! Staff were very friendly and extremely helpful.... Room was very comfortable..Will definitely be back for another stay..

• Classic Double Room

We had nothing to dislike.

Friendly staff very helpful. Excellent food Lovely location Enjoyed our stay 100% Thanks very much and hope to return soon.

• Classic Double Room

Nothing to dislike although the rooms look a little tired. We understand they are about to be refurbished.

The food is exquisite, the staff knowledgeable and friendly. Wonderful location with great walking nearby for the experienced and beginner.

The shower - a dribble......this is probably a room due for renovation, very comfortable but poor shower.

Location excellent, great breakfast, friendly helpful staff

• Classic Double Room

Booked as a surprise for my partners birthday. Rooms tired and dated, cobwebs, scuff marks on all walls and skirting boards, broken door knobs and bulbs, curtains old and ripped. Charged an extra £45 per night for a room for a pet, on top of £141.30 already per night, definitely not worth that amount of money! Did not eat on an evening as the breakfast was disappointing. Main hotel was nice inside, the rooms needs to reflect this. Unfortunately sadly did not meet my expectations (sorry - but does have potential)

Good location, rooms comfortable, nice shower. Dot on reception was lovely.

Excellent so nothing negative

What a wonderful place to stay! We had four nights here and wished we had planned to stay longer! Lovely atmosphere, friendly staff, delicious food, great cocktails and probably the comfiest bed I have ever slept in! Well done Rothay Manor!

• Classic Double Room

A little dark at entrance to hotel— made it difficult when walking to/from town centre at night. Could do with improving the lighting at the road entrance site

Very comfortable bed— large room and bathroom. Staff friendly— lovely breakfast.

• Classic Double Room

Its a Fine Dining Restaurant would have been helpful to have known this and that simple foods not on menu. Garden Room with windows onto driveway - would not have booked if known.

Staff were helpful and room was clean and hotel decorated well. Breakfast choices and quality of food excellent. Dogs allowed and walking boots

Full English was not a good as we had expected on the first morning so we cancelled our booking for dinner in the evening. The breakfast was better on the second morning.

Accommodation was good

We were told that the hotel is being redecorated over winter- needed in some areas

Excellent cuisine, lovely room, attentive staff. The hotel is small enough to feel personal, e.g. Breakfast still has waiter service at your reserved table, rather than 'Help yourself'

• Classic Double Room

The shower in room 10 is very poor!! Hardly any water comes out..it's hard to wash your hair!!

The bed was marvelous. The room was attractive and cozy .

Would have liked more vegetables with evening meal. Very nouvelle cuisine and choice a little restrictive.

Superior room. Nice toiletries. Very comfortable.

• Classic Double Room

I can't fault this hotel. I wouldn't think it would be suitable for small children!

This hotel had very high standards indeed. Attentive and helpful staff. Dog friendly rooms had dog bowl, some treats and a few dog bags plus a towel. They thought of everything. Very happy customers!

Some of the decor was a little tired. The floor boards in our bedroom creaked alot. Breakfast service was slow although food was good. Young untrained staff only ever did one job at a time. If you asked for more tea they would go to the kitchen but not think about taking dirty plates away etc.

• Classic Double Room

Water pressure very poor and totally inadequate for the shower. All the dust build up on the wardrobe top. An sock left in draw from previous occupant. The Eggs benedict base bread was way to thick.

Good size of room. Food generally good. Quiet location and easy into town

• Classic Double Room

The room was lovely but the furniture and bathrooms are pretty dated, the mattresses for child were very cheap and poor quality, we used cushions from armchairs to arrange relatively reasonable place to sleep for our son on the floor

Very friendly staff, very good breakfast, the room was nice but a bit dated

• Classic Double Room

Walls in our bedroom needed redecorating/painting. Lots of dirty marks spoiled the look of the room. Also as room was on ground floor we had a lot of traffic noise and car lights coming into the room.

Able to take our dog with us and a large garden for the dog to walk around.

• Classic Double Room

Entrance needs smartening up a bit. Although the shower in our room looked the part, it was barely more than a dribble. Very disappointing after a long hike. Newspaper delivered to wrong room every day. The food is over fussy and difficult to enjoy. Good quality ingredients need no fussy additions. Although there is a reception desk in the lobby area it isn't always manned and when it is the receptionist always has their head buried in a laptop and only chooses to look up if you speak first. Taxi firm used isn't local making journeys twice the price. The overall feeling of this hotel is that the staff seem to think it's better than it actually is and so don't need to try. They seem surprised that anything could actually be wrong.

The bed was one of the best hotel beds I've ever slept in. So comfortable. Although the room was near the road there was no disturbing noise. The location couldn't be better for Ambleside

• Classic Double Room

The room was facing a busy junction, the noise was all night. The walls are thin so we could hear other guests snoring all night. The windows had to be closed to cut down the noise, making the room very hot. My wife found spiders crawling on her at 2 am and the dog has had a course of flea treatment as a precaution. We could not be offered any other room, so we had to pay for2 nights, we could not stand another night. The disabled entrance is locked (the staff said it was for security). Disabled people are not the type of guests they want

Our very short stay. However if I stayed longer, I would have love a swimming pool and that would keep me in the hotel 24/7.

Check in was very prompt and helpful staff although they had to negotiate a wedding event at the time of our arrival. One of the staff helped us with our luggage. The room was spacious so was the terrace. the garden view was calming and beautiful to wake up to. I really do not remember if there was a tv as never wanted to use one. tea/coffee facilities. bathroom was the highlight of the bathroom. Breakfast was amazing. absolutely loved it and we both enjoyed everting we ordered. all the staff we dealt with were very helpful and courteous. The lunges are comfortable/spacious and quite. The garden is so tranquil, you can just chill out or do yoga. The Ambleside town center is within 5 minutes walk. footbridge is literary across from the hotel. 30 seconds and 10 if you do chicken run.

wonderful stay here. room was large, bathroom had full size bath and a separate large shower. bed and pillows were wonderfully comfortable. bonus of a balcony was lovely. although we didn't have an evening meal here, the hotel is obviously popular for afternoon teas and evening meals. breakfast was high quality service and food. i liked the little things that made the stay more special eg the flower arrangements in the breakfast room, which were fresh and stunning. well manicured gardens. looking forward to staying here again.

• Classic Double Room

Power of the shower poor had to take a bath

Very spacious room , very clean and well maintained. Very helpful staff. Food excellent. Plenty of parking - close to town centre and all amenities

The room was beautiful and very spacious. We had our evening meal in the restaurant which wasnt pricey and excellent flavours flooded our palette. The staff were excellent at their job. I had a lovely nights stay, just wish we could have had another night.

• Classic Double Room

Breakfast was amazing ! Being able to start walking from the hotel was great ! A 10 in walk into Ambleside and there were all the restaurants and pubs we needed .

• Classic Double Room

The water pressure in the shower is very poor.

The setting and gardens is stunning. We went for dinner with friends in the restaurant, which was delicious.; the food is outstanding. The staff are very well trained and incredibly attentive.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

• Classic Double Room

Some creaky floor boards need attention. This property

Excellent Location and ambience, gardens and grounds were a pleasure. Staff knowledge, courtesy and responsiveness was very good. Restaurant menu and service was excellent. Surprisingly for this location (not a capital city), the Chef we experienced during our visit, we believe is world class.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Absolutely nothing !

Right from the time we entered till the time we left, the service was impeccable. The stay was super comfortable. The breakfast was excellent and the even though there were limited vegetarian options, they always accommodated us and brought the best possible dishes for us to relish. The location of the property is excellent. Surely best stay at ambleside.

• Classic Double Room

The staff were very friendly and helpful, the room was great and the bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was outstanding [ muesli is a must have ] all the food we had was top class. Rothay manor hotel is near faultless and can not wait to come back.

The quality of internet access could be better. The strength of the Wifi signal in the room (and in some places around the hotel) was poor.

The property is conveniently located at the northern tip of the lake Windermere. Fast access to the Ambleside Pier make it very convenient for exploring the area around the lake. There are as well many walking trails starting close to the property and the Ambleside city-centre is within 10 min walk. Location is simply great! Enjoyed the garden and the staff was nice and friendly. The dinner at the restaurant was an interesting experience with good food and nice presentation.

Loved everything!

Excellent location, 5 mins walk from ambleside shops or lovely Wateredge Inn in other direction. Huge room, gorgeous bathroom, very large and comfy bed. Delicious breakfast, and friendly helpful staff. Perfect!!

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

• Classic Double Room

We found the dinner menu too elaborate for our tastes and the whole process took rather a long time.

Small comfortable hotel with excellent young staff. Very good breakfasts.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

• Classic Double Room

Road noise from traffic but can't be helped due to location

Breakfast & evening meal was very good ( quality) Welcoming staff The dog friendly dining area was the most elegant & best one we have visited Close to good pooch walks & park Good location to explore from

Food good but bacon was to over done for our liking. It would be good to offer some Gluten Free cereals as well as the bread .

The hotel was excellent and really comfortable and friendly staff. Will definitely go again and recommend it. It is in a great location stunning views.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

Our dog friendly room did not have the best of outlooks.

The restaurant was excellent: creative menu with beautifully prepared and presented food. A far cry from Lake District food choices a few years ago. Staff were attentive and friendly. Location wonderfully central for key Lake District sights and walks.

Water pressure in shower was disappointing. We mentioned this and were told that management are aware of the problem and are hard working to resolve it

Friendly, efficient staff. Delicious food. Quiet location but just a stroll from centre of Ambleside.

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

• Classic Double Room

The weather (not your fault) Apart from squeaky floorboards in room 10 there was nothing to complain about, we would happily stay at Rothay Manor if we visited The Lake District again

Staff were exceptionallying friendly and efficient Free use of umbrella a good idea! The food was exquisite, beautifully cooked and presented. Would attempt the taster menu another time

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

bedroom number 7 way to close to kichens

first bedroom was not clean and smell of drains, was to close to, kicten fans so it woken us up at seven o' clock in the morning. we was move to any room which we like a lot better, food was lovely and staff helpfull.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

• Classic Double Room

The breakfast was fabulous and probably the best I have had in a hotel. I also loved that there were board games in the room - a lovely touch and a great way to pass some time whilst waiting for dinner.

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

• Classic Double Room

The room had just been serviced and the smell of cleaning products was a little overpowering

The room was lovely and had everything we needed with a very comfy bed which was great. The breakfast choices were great and the service was excellent, one of the best we've had!

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Classic Double Room

The shower in our room was poor with limited flow and a very erratic temperature setting. Difficult to shower and no bath as an alternative

Breakfast was very good and the staff were excellent. The welcome after a long journey was exceptional

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

breakfast sausage and fried bread slightly over cooked, asked for toast but didn't receive it, but was an excellent stay overall.

Location,large room, ambience,Staff.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Classic Double Room

No wifi working, shower blow hot and cold. Charged for breakfast but thought I had already paid for it. Thus making the room only stay an expensive one.

Clean and warm rooms

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

• Classic Double Room

No comments. The whole experience was marvellous.

Tremendous few days, reluctant to leave. We never expected such high quality. Perfect location, few minutes walk to either Ambleside or the lake. Overheard conversations which echoed our thoughts.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

The gun-room needs a re-fresh

What a fabulous find! Quiet, comfortable and relaxed yet just two steps from Ambleside. The food was superb, surely a Mitchelin Star award pending? Staff could not have been nicer. Bar menu included some 10 gins - wonderful!

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Classic Double Room

The hotel whilst very clean needs some slight updating in terms of the wall covering which was a little 70's. For the price the decor could be better although a minor point as i really enjoyed my stay and we will look for offers at this hotel for a return visit.

The location, the comfortable bed and quiet room.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

• Classic Double Room

Noisy room at rear near a busy road above kitchen noisy and hot all night. Smoke from staff smokers into the bedroom from below. . No sleep first night. Hotel unable to move us to another room. Provided a fan !!

Furnishings starting to look a little tired. On an island site with busy traffic around it (albeit behind a high wall).

Lovely breakfast and very attentive and personable staff. Comfortable bed. Stayed in because of heavy all day rain and was comfortable, with games provided etc.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

Having to leave !!

The quality and standards of up keep at the hotel are exemplary - the kitchen is amazing and outstanding value for money, the chef really does know his stuff !!

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

Beds too soft. No wholemeal bread for breakfast. Someone was vacuuming at 7am on Sunday. Garden next to main road.

Reasonably clean. Quaint atmosphere. Friendly staff. Beautiful garden. Extensive and quality breakfast.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

The smell of foist in the conservatory room coming from the bathroom. The bathroom is poor, a bit shabby and smells. The smell felt like coming from the shower water waste system (sewers)

The size and location of the conservatory room was excellent for us and our puppy pet. The beds were very comfortable The breakfast was very good to excellent. The grounds were very nice.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

Everything was super great

Breakfast and afternoon tea were awesome!! The staffs are all friendly. The room was super clean and comfortable. A 10min walk from the bus stop of Ambleside and there is an entrance to foot path in front of the hotel.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

Could have done with some drying facilities.

The staff were amazing - helpful, attentive, friendly, knowledgable, welcoming. The food was delicious - fantastic chef. Location and grounds are perfect. The best dog friendly hotel I've ever stayed in.