Reviews of Royal Hotel

Railway Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE11 9EB, United Kingdom

#62 of 76 hotels in Newcastle upon Tyne

5.6

There was only one member of staff working the bar and reception at the Hotel. She was very helpful and friendly but you were left waiting for some time to check in and then again for a drink later. The rooms are very old fashioned and not well decorated. The stairs are steep and shallow and not easy to manage if you aren't great on your feet. The bathroom floor becomes exceptionally slippy with wet feet after a shower and the beds are so soft you sink right in when you sit down on them - far too soft for my liking but some may be happy to hear that!! Cooked breakfast is on offer but the only options are yes or no!

The Hotel was ideally situated for a concert at Newcastle Football Club, being a £9-£12 taxi ride away from town, meaning that we didn't have to find parking or pay for expensive inner city hotels The staff were friendly.

• Budget Double Room

Paid £20 extra for 12pm check out only to be badgered by a rude bloke telling us check out was 10am Shower cannot be classed as one, trickled freezing cold or scolding hot water except for a 2 second window where u could dip your head to try wash your hair, took us over half an hour each to get a wash No genius perks offered

The lady who checked us in was lovely with a quick check in Limited parking so parked on the street which was ok & right outside the hotel Bus stop right outside which goes direct to the centre for just over £2 Victoria room. Bed was comfy & room big enough for 2 with the usual facilities Only 3 miles from the centre and easily walkable if you prefer Clean bedding Would be great if breakfast served later than 9am

Rooms need decorating

Rooms old fashion could do with painting as walls a bit dirty. Single room with shower, tea and coffee. Staff helpful booked us a taxi and advised about taxi prices for return journey after 12. Lovely breakfast would stay again

• Budget Double Room

A little basic but it didn't matter it was ace.

The staff and service were outstanding. So funny and very knowledgeable. Breakfast was very good. Very handy for centre of Newcastle. Bus right outside.

• Budget Double Room

The room was quite dated, but was really cheap so was probably to be expected. The place just looks a little tired - even though the staff do their absolute best

The staff in reception where really nice and very helpful. The girls working in the kitchen worked really hard and still managed to feed a full restaurant even though there seemed to be very few of them!

The staff were really friendly and helpful, couldn't do enough to please us! It's far enough to be out of the city noise but near enough to get to town in just a few minutes by bus! Breakfast was included and was really tasty.

All was good

The lady owner was very welcoming. Excellent breakfast. Large rooms plus they had their own bars so you could buy a nice cool refreshing beer on a warm afternoon. Nice hotel in a reasonably quiet area. Good bus sevice into Newcastle just outside

The rooms were really clean and the staff were super friendly. Breakfast was lovely in the morning! They were very accommodating as we were off to an event in Newcastle and they gave us taxi numbers and there was a night porter on hand to let us in afterwards.

We found it hard to find this hotel, I wish they would have put Dalton in the address instead of Gateshead. Very confusing as there are a few hotels with the same name.

Made very welcome. The menu was reasonably priced, the breakfast, was good

Dated rooms and view of carpark no the best

Good location, easy access to Newcastle, Bed was very high, breakfast was average , Reasonable prices in bar

Its a traditional pub/hotel. The rooms are comfortable and the staff are friendly and helpful. It has a decent car park which because its in a back street is quite secure.

• Budget Single Room

Lack of water coming out of the shared shower

The rooms very clean, good breakfast, although we had shared shower and toilet they where very clean, but shower on top floor needs looking at the pressure as not much water comes out

• Budget Single Room

Food service on the Saturday morning - no one was expecting to cook for me but was in the price. Shower was very poor but they did let me use another on second day Hotel on a whole is quite run down and could do with a bit of a overhaul, I am an electrician and some of the lights I saw where in bad state.

Parking

I was in a budget room.Only had a sink.The shared bathroom had no toilet paper.The shower was weak and scalding.The overall décor of the room was poor.Its amazing my room wasn't in the photographs on the website.I wonder why?

the breakfast was fine

I took a really long time to check in as the receptionist was very slow finding my room key. The room was on top floor, hard to haul my luggage up, received no help from staff. The bed was too soft. But all things considered, the room rate was good value for money.

I was able to dry my clothes on the radiator when I arrived soaked to the skin.

• Budget Double Room

The Royal hotel 🤣, There was nothing royal about it, Very dated, mismatched furnishings in the rooms and poor standard of decoration, old electrical appliances that seriously need replacing, broken floor tiles in the bathroom, shower that dribbles out, wall mirror was an old wardrobe door screwed to the wall, had to change rooms because of the noise below and the Smoking shelter directly below the window made the room smell of cigarettes (and I'm a smoker) basically I wouldn't let my Dog stay there, and i don't even have a dog. And the full English breakfast!! No mushrooms,fried bread or black pudding, so not so Full

In answer to what did you like.... Nothing !! Would be the answer, I stand corrected by the Mrs,... the Staff were friendly and helpful (when i asked to change rooms)....see the negative....

• Budget Double Room

Disappointed that the breakfast finished at 9.am so had to eat out each morning. The hotel is in need of updating and repair. Eg fire extinguisher out of date and light switch hanging off the wall and loose cables in the shower.

Staff were friendly

• Budget Double Room

Broken tile in bathroom floor.

The hotel was good value for the amount charged. All the staff we met were extremely friendly and helpful. Going above and beyond to help us.

• Budget Double Room

The Hotel is deceptive from the outside great welcome on inside. The Bar man was very funny with a good sense of humor. The breakfast was freshly cooked to order by a lovely blond lady. Excellent value

No plug sockets near the mirror or dressing table tryed moving the the dressing table and the leg fell off😁 we now know why it was put up against the wall out the way from any sockets however after that struggle I went in search to lend a plug extention to be greated by man who took me to find 1 and he made a comment of if you have a body like that you can just walk around the hotel naked!! To witch I ignored and the lady who was also there did not hear or she chose not to say anything to her other member of staff! He may have just being friendly but I did not find this amusing at all!! He also made another comment when I was waiting for my taxi about me not going out and to just stay there and he would give me the money to put in the music box! Again he may of just being friendly but I dident find it funny! And my husband just also chose to ignore him. He did then go on to tell us what bars etc would be best for us to go to so I am really unsure whether these re-marks are just part of his personality.

Our room was up-graded free for mine and my husband's birthday the lady who greated us was very nice and helpfull.the towels were fresh and even had expensive tolite paper😀

It needs updated, maybe a bit of re decorating but for the price it's not a huge negative.

Fantastic location, great breakfast, lovely staff, great value for money. Often stay here when going out in Newcastle. Cheap in and out of town in a taxi.

Needed a little t.l.c Windows needed more glazing. Very windy night wind coming through into room.

Friendly staff. Good breakfast excellent value for money

Room wasnt very clean and alot of marks on walls and dirty carpet. floorboards very uneven and ceiling coming apart. Light bulb not working in bathroom, poor shower, broken door handle. Was meant to have a double bed but had 2 singles pushed together that kept coming apart. Not a good sleep there either as some sort of fan outside the window which kicks in every 5 minutes making an Irritating noise for 2 mins at a time which kept waking us up. Also alot of noise from doors opening and closing and walking on creaky old floorboards. Needs quite abit of attention to the room. We stayed in room karen. I Cant comment on other rooms but this one was pretty poor.

Lovely helpful lady running the hotel and a nice bar area.. good sized bathroom, good breakfast.

• Budget Double Room

No lights working on staircase - bannister very loose- door on first landing opened in towards the staircase making it very awkward for people to gain access safely- bedroom shabby- hole in wall at window- bed pushed up against wall- toilet seat cracked also sink- paint flaking on wall - room heated with a portable heater- poor choice at breakfast and dining room freezing

The lady serving breakfast on the 2nd day was very attentive also the older gentleman on reception showed concern about our safety on the staircase which had no working lights

The ensuite shower, which didnt work, we had to use the Shower room next door.....

the staff were amazing....very helpful, very friendly and kind.....We had a bit of a disturbed 1st night, mentioned it to the staff, and they went above and beyond to make sure we had a better 2nd night......we also had a problem with the ensuite shower, again sorted by the amazing staff. we would have liked breakfast to start at 8 am and finish at 10.am...but we managed to get down before 9.a.m.and beautifully cooked breakfast was available which we enjoyed....Would recommend this hotel to friends and family and we would come again, if we are in this neck of the woods....

Could do with a bit of a refurb to modernise....

Very welcoming property and staff. Nice bar area and great breakfast included. Quite a basic hotel and old fashioned however clean, warm and I would return if all I needed was a clean bed, bathroom and a nice cooked breakfast!!

• Budget Single Room

Amenities in the initial room were severely limited and I was not directed to a shower/bathroom. When I found the one on the floor I was supposed to use the shower didn't work so I upgraded rooms. One of the upgraded rooms had a broken heater and was freezing cold. The second room had no instructions for the heater so I was unsure if the heater worked or not for a while (once I'd figured it out the heater was great though) Walls were very thin so talking volume could be heard pretty clearly through them. Some of the other customers seemed pretty dodgy...

Shower was warm(eventually). Food was average price for the quality. Breakfast was good!

Location wasn't great but a 15 min taxi ride away from Newcastle City centre costing around £8 or 25 mins on the bus £5.10 for a day saver

Great staff very friendly and helpful. Room very clean and warm and comfy bed with lovely breakfast included.

• Budget Double Room

The room was very cold on arrival, however there was a heater which soon warmed the room up. The hotel was a little dated in places but for what we paid we were very happy. A little bit of a trek from Newcastle centre. Only negative which we were unhappy with was breakfast was 7:00 to 9:00 and checkout was 10:30. When we go away for a night we are usually late to bed and appreciate a little lie in so breakfast until 10:30 and a 12:00 checkout would have made the stay perfect.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming which created a nice atmosphere. They had Karaoke, on the Saturday, until late and everyone who wanted to participate got to sing and we all had fun. Breakfast the next morning, which was included in the price was lovely.

• Budget Single Room

Rude staff who insisted that we had to pay even though we had pre paid through Bookings.com and had a receipt to prove it. Grabbing hold of a guests arm is tantamount to assault. Massive training need

Nothing except that when finally speaking to the owner he agreed to compensate

Dreadful creaking floorboards that you could hear between rooms. Toilet seat loose. Sink taps thoroughly worn and needing replacement. The place had that, tired only really used at weekends and evenings feel to it.

Although there appeared to be only one member of staff doing everything when it was evening meal time, she cooked it as well as tending to everything else. Good simple meal with a lovely chilled bottle of Ale. Breakfast was just right. Full English and well cooked.

accommodation, room small, mattress torn and very worn, plastic kettle dirty and element very rusty, no hair dryer, sewage pipe in bathroom, shower head bracket held together with paper towel and wire. No bathe mat due to this i slipped on the floor and hurt my angle, back and have a bruise on my right hand. Owner not very forth coming and very rude. To get to my room, through bar, two dinning rooms, past open kitchen and two flights of stairs not good for me.

breakfast only

• Budget Double Room

Very friendly staff Vicky helped us with anything we wanted to know to local areas to see, taxi if we needed one and what we should be paying . Breakfast was really good orange Julie ,cereal,tea,coffee,toast,jam etc then sausage,beans,tomato,egg,bacon was really good. My only negative was our 2nd night a lot of noise from neighbours but that is not the hotel fault don’t think couple of rooms near us slept so we did keep waking up with being quiet loud and a few arguments. But wherever you stay you can expect that.

The staff there are lovely and very accommodating. It was close to town Center for the night life. It is excellent value for money with a bar down stairs and a lovely breakfast in the morning.

Comfortable room. Did the job - serviced my night out in Newcastle. On bus route so easy to get too by public transport. Thought it was a little nearer to Newcastle centre than it actually was. Breakfast O.K but not the best. Staff helpful.

• Budget Double Room

There is no disabled parking at this hotel. Which as a disabled driver always proves very helpful when parking, but apart from that i could not fault this hotel for the purpose of my visit

All members of staff were very friendly and helpful and very efficient, and the hotel was nice and central and very easy to find

Mattress was poor and very uncomfortable toilet wouldn't flush properly needed updated fridge didn't work in room

Liked the staff who were very friendly breakfast good

• Budget Double Room

Toilet seat was cracked, walls were paper thin and there was a dip in the bed

Staff were lovely and welcoming, bar and pool tables were fab and the room we stayed in was cosy. Was close to metro centre and a great chippy+Chinese.

THE PROPERTY Was OUT DATED .. NO HOT WATER AT NIGHT PLENTY IN THE MORNING ... POOR WIFI .. BED WAS TO HIGH OFF THE FLOOR ... ANY SHORTER I WOULD HAVE NEEDED A LADDER ....

REALLY GOOD BREAKFAST !!!!

• Budget Double Room

Dingy room toilet seat loose, tap Loose, mould in grout in shower no soap dish. No hot water

Looked OK from the outside but it's a tired building

Shower was a bit faulty

Will definately use again bit dated but didnt mind. Bed comfortable,room clean,car park , staff were very helpfull and £3 for a good pint of lager. Decent breakfast too. Worked out about £36 each.can't argue with that.

Bed was the worst I have ever stayed in. Mattress was so worn it felt like I was sleeping in a hammock with razor blades. Really busy main road location, traffic busy throughout night and a strange humming noise coming from outside the room all night.

• Budget Double Room

Small room. Tired decoration. Shower either boiling hot or freezing cold. Sink cracked. Toilet seat broken. Mould around windows. Very noisy from bar at night.

Good breakfasts in bright dining room

Close to public transport stops. Within walking distance to Metro Centre (about 15 minutes). Friendly staff. Room was comfortable. Breakfast was good. The rooms all had names instead of numbers which was quirky.

• Family Room

The bedroom was very dark due to wooden ceiling and garnished furniture.

Staff were very friendly,but unfortunately the hotel was very dated. Rooms were clean but the furniture and fittings are very dated.

Felt like we were an inconvenience every time we asked something. Would not recommend the food. Noisy building yard next to our room.

It was cheap. The coffee was nice.

Fawlty Towers! Terrible place to stay! We stayed in the Gemma room, was told it was not the budget room, but it sure seemed like it! Infact worse than a budget room! The smell from the bathroom knocked us out when we opened the door and then we choked near to death on air freshener after asking them to sort it! The view from window was old mattresses and bed bases, they had been there for years! The room was damp, decor never been changed since first done when built! Two tea cups were from a dolls house in room, with two tea bags and two coffee supplied only! Both bedroom and bathroom lights over mirrors didn't work! The wardrobe was a curtain on a shower rail in room! Decor was awful! The pillows, flat, old and can't call them pillows! The decor, carpets in the whole building were awful. Non smiling staff! And to top it all, fire alarm went off at 7am Sunday morning! When we went outside, no one else there, staff carried on cooking breakfast and then we were told not to worry about alarm! Don't recommended for even a night!

Nothing! Absolutely nothing!!

• Budget Single Room

Room was small and rundown noehere to put your belongings. Bed was lumpy and uncomfortable bathroom was old mouldy and flush button on toilet was missing the vent on the room window was painted shut

Staff were excellent. Breakfast really good

Easy to find and park my motorbike safely in a car park, nice clean bed and clean shower/bad/toilet. Very quite after midnight had a good sleep. Very friendly people and big English breakfast.

It was different to anywhere in have stayed before. Especially in a room called Josephine. But a wonderful experience in a clean and tidy bedroom with a 4 poster bed. Best sleep in have had in a long time. Loved it and will definitely stay there again.

Old and tired, dusty lights and bathroom could really do with updating not seen an advicado suit since my granny was alive.

Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Budget Single Room

Very basic accommodation with communal toilet/shower.

Staff couldn't do enough, super friendly and always willing to help. Easy access to the city via multiple bus routes.

Room was spoiled a little by the amount of traffic noise from the frequent and late running local bus service, but it would not stop me staying there again. Limited breakfast menu, but tolerable for those of us who are happy with full English and white sliced toast.

Hotel is well located and provides a clean and comfortable base for exploring the region at a budget price. I was visiting family so was only in the hotel to sleep, wash and have breakfast, so only needed the basics, and those needs were well met.

Rooms were a little dated and lighting not great. Old windows that steamed up a bit. Had to get bus into town for evening meal as no food served then.

Bed was super comfy, all clean, clean towels daily, staff great. Nice light and airey dining room, very friendly and perfect for our two night stay to see our son running in the great north run. Also loved that hotel rooms were not numbered but were womens names we stayed in the room called Sheila.

• Budget Single Room

Where to start? I won't bother because I'm sure the owners won't care. Highlight of my stay was leaving.

Nothing. Use b&b frequently...this was just terrible.

Shared bathroom, didn't realise this on booking, it didn't state for the single room. Very creaky floors & thin walls. Not very modern - green sinks!

The rooms were clean.

We got locked out at 11:15 and had to rouse other visitors to call the night conceirge who did not answer the bell. Our toilet did not flush properly

Our welcome was friendly

The shower was extremely poor. As I was in a single room, I used the communal shower next door. Water cold and I waited a few minutes for it to warm up but this was a complete waste of time. Pity, as I then had to shower in lukewarm water. Finally, the water pressure was very weak so all in all, the shower would score 3/10 at best.

Location, hotel appearance, room and staff, good.

• Budget Double Room

The loud blaring music and noise from the bar kept us awake till 12.30am, and we were awoken at about 5.30am by loud knocking/shouting on adjacent door. We did not get much sleep at all which spoilt our experience. Also dietary need not well catered for despite informing staff

• Budget Double Room

The building has a smell of beer as soon as you walk in. The hand rail upstairs is loose and lighting in the corridors was poor. Rooms didn't have a sink plug

The staff were very nice to me. I just didn't like anything about the accommodation.

Cracking Hotel, great selection of drinks in the bar, lovely set up. Cracking Breakfast. Just a shame I was too hungover to eat it. Only £8 in a taxi fare into Newcastle town centre aswell

• Budget Double Room

More room in the room, toilet and bed was rather uncomfortable. The bar was limited, no cask ale available. Just a little tired Devore which could do with updating. But overal good basic stopover.

Sorry couldn't think of anything

Bedroom clean and tidy on suite very clean all staff were friendly and helpful I had no complaints at all I would recommend The Royal to anyone

• Budget Double Room

The doors are a little noisy. Perhaps WD-40 would help. Took us a while to figure out where the shower switch was! Maybe label this.

The bed was lovely and comfy and clean. Staff were very friendly. It was all well organised and clean.

Location very hard to find even with sat nav.Receptionist was helpful but entrance from car park littered with masses of cigarette. butts not impressed.Reception and stairs tatty room so badly lit with wall lights that didn't work. Avocado bathroom suite says it all. Bath was but clean tiles disgusting as was front of washbasin poor impression.BUT receptionist quickly discovered we had already paid on booking and refunded with no fuss that was a plus.

The twin beds were very comfortable. Breakfast was part self service, cooked part was ok very friendly lady served us .

The surrounding area was a bit rough n ready but the hotel and its staff made up for that.

Great Value for money. Clean & tidy if a wee bit dated. (Snobby folk looking for somewhere very posh wont approve) but perfectly good for the price. Comfy bed, loads of hot water and nice towels laid out ,lovely staff. Easy secure parking. My daughters and i will be back. Only complaint was a slow draining sink but so what. Lovely triple room with masses of space. Plenty power points. Tv in room. Kettle too. Bar food was fairly decent and good value. Breakfast was excellent. Lovely dining room. Pool tables in the bar only 50p a game! And karaoke on a sat night. Decent jukebox too.

Hotel above the pub, not a best idea especially when karaoke night is in. Room from late 70's. not best clean. For me personally not worth money which we paid.

Good breakfast in the morning. Very helpful staff.

Dirty room, property need major overall, dangerous wiring, leaking, luke warm shower, filthy stained mattresses. Breakfast should not be called a 'full English' - no choice, dirty milk jug, no choice, make your own tea etc. etc

• Family Room

Decor could have been a bit better, stuck in the 70s and can get a bit loud at night when guests are leaving the pub downstairs.

Great staff, very friendly and helpful. Very nice and filling hot breakfast.

Wifi didn't reach my room, but could download things in the bar to watch in my room.

Good clean room, couldn't hear the karioke from the bar. Breakfast was great.

• Budget Single Room

The bedroom only had one plug socket for the TV, lamp, kettle and my phone charger, so you had to juggle a round a bit. It didn't have an en-suite, even though rooms for the price I paid were advertised as such on the outside of the hotel. The décor was rather jaded, but as I said above the cleanliness was first rate, so this is just a quibble.

Staff very helpful and friendly. I came by bike and they let me store it in the hotel dining room as it wasn't being used. Breakfast was surprisingly good, given the price of the overall package. The whole hotel was spotlessly clean and the bed was comfortable.

The room was tiny not very clean we found a woman's earring on the carpet there was no bin . The hearing was on which made room way to hot.

• Budget Single Room

The room had no WC. That was not clearly said in the description. The breakfast was good, but surrounded by people very noisy, it was difficult to enjoy.

It was not expensive,

• Budget Single Room

The stairs - no lift; dirty stair carpet; smell in the room; badly decorated room; grotty shower; no bedside table or lamp; waft of cigarettes from outdoor smokers; extremely difficult to find; fairly run-down area. To be fair, I didn't hear anyone else complaining.

I didn't like anything except escaping.

• Budget Double Room

Didn't realise the hotel had in house entertainment. This was way too loud so couldn't get to sleep till it was finished. Also walls between rooms were the thinnest we had ever encountered with guests in neighbouring rooms disturbing us at 4am where we could hear every word they were saying. The rooms were also very small with the double bed being against the wall requiring one person to have to climb over to get in and out of bed!!

The staff were very friendly