Reviews of Royal Maritime Club 3 stars

Queen Street, Portsmouth, PO1 3HS, United Kingdom

#16 of 22 hotels in Portsmouth

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Short stay did everything needed and perfect location for Historic Dockyard

Great location for Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. Friendly and efficient welcome at reception who were also very helpful with local guidance. Excellent buffet breakfast.

Pleasant stay

Plug socket next to bed for charging mobile phone. Lock on bathroom door. Curtains/blinds in bathroom.

Lady serving behind the bar and lady from the kitchen were very helpful when I was feeling unwell.

Not the worst place I have stayed but not the best either

The place has an old fashioned feel. The parking is very limited- we managed to get the last space! The lift to upper floors is tiny - as is the swimming pool. The room was hot and the tea making facilities included UHT whole milk - not what I want in my tea!!

The location was perfect the shower was good and the drinks in the bar were very good value. Staff pleasant.

enjoyable Good breakfast.Ask for the smoked haddock! great for Historic dockyard

Room 206 very noisy . Metal chimney outside window that roared until 11-12 o'clock at night

a great atmosphere of a gentlemen club. very clean and tidy. pleasant staff. allowed to leave car in carpark for nothing ,even on last day. excellent position for historic dockyard and MaryRose museum

An ideal location for our visit to the Historic Naval Dockyards of Portsmouth.

The Royal Maritime Club has a unique atmosphere due to its naval connections and would suit any traveller interested in exploring the nearby Historic Dockyards or other aspects of Portsmouth's naval history. Breakfast was excellent, good quality products well cooked.

We felt comforted by the connection with the Royal Navy as...

Nothing on this occasion.

We felt comforted by the connection with the Royal Navy as we came down to have our oldest sons' ashes scattered by the Navy, he served for 22 years. The place itself seemed to help us through it.NoN

Excellent staff - very tired looking but comfortable room and institutional smell needs work.

The hotel is starting to look tired and has a institutional smell that needs work - needs to smell much cleaner. Would be good to see some investment going into the place. I am used to messes in barracks etc and I think the club resembles a mess when it should be more commercial.

Staff were excellent

We will definately stay again when in Portsmouth and we will be recommend the Royal Maritime Clud

Our room was a little tired but adequate for our short stay.

The hotel really nice, clean with very nice deco, all the staff pleasant and helpful. Very good buffet breakfast, everything fresh and hot. dining room staff were helpful and efficient.

More than adequate for the purpose.

The breakfast. Poor quality bacon and tasteless scrambled egg.

Facilities seemed good but visit too brief to take advantage. Room was clean and comfortable.

6.0
    Staff were fantastic, nothing too much trouble.

I felt the hotel was very outdated. The history of the building was lovely. The staff committed, but the overall feel was more like a hostel than a hotel. It is a charity and they do their best with limited funds, sadly it could do with more investment and apprecican for its past and for a cash injection to help it flourish.

Staff were fantastic, nothing too much trouble.

Great location for dockyard visit.
    • Standard Twin Room

More choice of fruits at breakfast.

Spacious and had all basic needs.Very pleased that on request, we were given blankets to replace duvets which we found too hot. Quiet and not disturbed by other guests.

Overall, a good base for visiting The Royal Naval Dockyard just 5 minutes away.

Thought the room could do with a bit of TLC. Pot luck with parking out the front. We were lucky and got a free spot.

Breakfasts were good, could help yourself to as ever much you wanted. We had a delicious evening meal in the restaurant. The head waiter was very pleasant and chatty. The young lady on reception was lovely, really helpful. Plenty of tea and coffee in room. Didn't use the pool but a good extra for anyone wishing to swim.

As expected staff excellent

Parking impossible but very good parking across the road .luckely the weather was good

Lovely room but no hot water one nightexcellent breakfastas expecfed

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Great stay. Visit to the Victory very interesting and very near hotel.

Could maybe do with some modernising as quite an old hotel.

Big comfy bed. Very good breakfast. Nice little pool and sauna. Run by a charity so profits go to good cause. Great location.

Beware the very soft beds

Rooms are a bit old but then so is the building. Clean and tidy though. Biggest problem - a VERY soft bed. To be fair once we got past the standard response of we’re full up from the front desk, they couldn’t have done any more to help us to move rooms and provide a board under the mattress - it was still quite soft. Housekeeping deserve a lot of praise and the young ladies on front desk. The boys weren’t so good.

Great location for Old Portsmouth. Excellent breakfast choice.

Great I really enjoyed my stay
    • Standard Twin Room

The place needs another lift as( i suffer in the leg department) so long waiting is not the best

Staff interaction was very good and food was good \i enjoyed the foyer seating area for the meet up before further exploring. Nice cup of coffee before the off

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Short Phototrip to Portsmouth

Location, location, location! Almost directly opposite the historic dockyard, within easy walking distance from shops, pubs and restaurants. And there is a nice bar in the hotel, in case one doesn't want to go far in the evening.

Great Location for Dockyards, Gunwharf Quays & Gosport Ferry

The hotel was OK as you enter through the main doors but gets gradually more shabby and worn the further in you get. Room very small. Shower awful - just a dribble. Bathroom hot tap - dangerously hot! With the number of elderly guests, they really need to be careful with the hot water situation! For £110 per night, I guess I just expected better. Breakfast OK but not great - didn't go back for it on our second day. All in all - nothing to cause an outright complaint, it's just a bit shabby and dated and not our cup of tea.

Location - very convenient for Historic Dockyards, Gosport Ferry, Gunwharf Quay shopping centre.

Would definitely stay here again with family or friends

Dated - although quite nostalgic at the same time. I could not see much of a difference between a double room and superior room, some weird smells in areas - particularly a cleaning chemical smell. Quite pricey for what you get, could have done with an iron in my room but was sent to a launderette room with a dodgy iron and ironing board in. Reminded me of an old peoples home. Photos of this hotel make décor seem much better than it is.

We had lunch and breakfast at this hotel and couldn't fault it, food was great. The location to the dockyard and the waterfront was perfect. The rooms were adequate for a 1 night stay and size of the rooms were good. Very clean hotel and the staff were excellent, accommodating to our needs as we travelled with an elderly person. There is a great bar area with a juke box in open till late.

Fabulous!

Just stayed here as a birthday treat on arrival we were told we had been upgraded to the executive suite! Wow what can I say we absolutely loved our stay here , the hotel was spotlessly clean food was amazing , staff were very helpful and polite and as it is run by a charity was good to give our money too and not other dull corparate hotels which we have stayed in nearby , cannot fault this hotel and we will be coming back!

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

A comfortable place for a short stay and very convenient for visiting the Mary Rose and dockyard.

The bedroom was very basic and looked very bland. The bathroom would benefit from a shower screen instead of a shower curtain.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast yummy and the pool and hot tub were a great bonus!

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Friendly staff and just a relaxed hotel, not pretentious.

Friendly staff and just a relaxed hotel, not pretentious. Wished we had eaten in the restaurant. Breakfast was good. A great no frills hotel, great location.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Friendly and helpful staff.

Low standards to most of facilities. The small pool/facilities were clean. Breakfast was acceptable but the staff had very little experience. Very poor and dissatisfied with the evening food/service.

Friendly and helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

I would definitely stay there again

The décor, especially in the bedroom was very dated and there were no grab rails in or over the bath to assist with getting into the shower. The shower was extremely old fashioned with poor water pressure but it still did its job! There were no signs at the top of the stairs as to direction to go to which room numbers. the rooms were only signed from the lift. A small point but I kept going the wrong way from the stairs!

The staff at the hotel were very helpful and went out of their way to help. Generally the food is of a good standard and when on the second night there was a problem, the staff quickly resolved it. It is in a brilliant location for the Historic Dockyard/Mary Rose and Gun Wharf Quays shopping.

Great stay

Limited free parking out front. There is a Multi story across the road and the hotel will stamp your ticket for a reduced rate but I didn’t see this on booking.com and only found out when asking about parking at reception, was fortunate that was were I already parked

Stayed for victorious festival. Nice location next to docks, museum and gun wharf quay. Breakfast was good and bed was comfy. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Uncomfortable box room

Paid a £130 for a superior, when it was a box room with a tiny, uncomfortable double bed which I nearly fell out of twice and the springs dig into my back!. Tv was so high up on the wall I had to stand up to turn the channel! And I know you can’t do a lot with views but literally felt like I was over looking the bronx! And to top it off the back of the hotel had skips and dirty old mattresses propped up again a wall! Friends either paid less than me or the same and had much better rooms! I questioned staff and was basically told they can’t move me (which I didn’t want) I just felt like I had paid too much money for what I had, there was no offer of a small refund!

Excellent location for transport and attractions

Smell in corridors, no warning about functions taking place upto 12pm on booking site, only in info book in room. Our room was above function room. No enough staff in breakfast room beware limited parking

Location, bed was comfatable facilities in the room were good.

Great value for money, friendly staff, I would definitely use this hotel again.

Our room was a little tired, but everything worked and it was clean so not really a negative.

Friendly staff. My partner has disabilities and when I asked about parking, they reserved a parking space close to the door for me so that we didn't have to go searching for somewhere to park. The breakfast was really good quality and so much variety, very impressed.

I don’t want to go back again

Menu was more like being at a holiday camp so I went out to eat. The bar was like Gods waiting room. The whole place needs updating and renovating.

Not a lot really

convenient location but would not recommend this hotel to family or friends

food in the bar was served only after a lengthy wait and then was not very hot. We paid for a superior room but this was located over the function room which meant loud music on the Friday night until midnight.

breakfast was very good:plenty of choice and well cooked

Would stay here again

There is no view as such but we knew that prior to booking. Parking was hard especially as I am disabled, I could not have brought my cases in on my own

Mine was a disabled room, bed very comfy. No bars around the toilet but shower was ok.. The staff were very helpful and always seemed cheerful.

Location fab, would benefit from some minor improvements

Live music is licenced till 12 midnight on Sundays, as well as weddings on Saturdays and another event with music on Friday, so it can be loud in some of the rooms. The option of selecting a room away from the music, at check in would have been welcome. Superior rooms means redecorated and upgraded with option of shower or bath. The beds are not very comfortable and would benefit from an update. The quality of the breakfast food could be improved for the price paid.

The hotel is in a great location for the historic dockyards and gunwharf quays shopping, cinema, pubs etc. The hotel offers limited free parking. The hotel support veterans via charitable income from the hotel. The pool and hot tub are great.

The reviews I had read before exactly summed this hotel up. No airs and graces, basic but clean.

there were no clean tables when we arrived for breakfast and no huge effort was being made to clear them for new guests!

Convenient location for the purpose of our visit which was to visit the historic dockyards

Close to historic dockyard and shopping .

The only thing was the shower - there was no pressure so it took longer to rinse off soap and shampoo .

Close to historic dockyard and shopping . The food was good.

The history of the building.

Could do with a bit of an update/decoration.

The history of the building. All staff were friendly and helpful. Location is perfect for dockyard and Gunwharf Quays.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

The room smelt of smoke previous occupant had clearly been smoking as there was ash on the window ledge . Room did not seem it had been gone over before as it smelt , there was thick dust above bed, half used body wash no lid in shower. Hot tap on bath cannot be used at all so no bath facility. Breakfast was ok . Lots of tea cups dirty had to go through stack to find clean one. Self serve breakfast bacon was good sausages were awful ! There were two fried eggs available when I went up they both had shell visible on them so why they were put out I’m not sure because everyone avoided them . The room did not reflect the reception/welcome area of hotel at all and was definitely not worth £98.00 . I have stayed in better.

There was a fan in the wardrobe that could be used

It's Military style goes with Naval dockyard attraction

They seem to have a condensation problem on the room and corridor windows in the middle of the summer. I arrived after midnight. So maybe i was a bit tiered. I didn't like not being able find lift easily as there was no signage. Just a brass plaque saying the lift was opened 30+ years ago by the Queen engraved above - just looked like a door. A small distance further than some other hotels to get to the harbour - if you have some mobility problems. Still very close through. You are expected to finish breakfast by 9.30 as I was the last to leave, and I got there for 9.20 I saw their was a relatively small swimming pool next to a jacuzzi, which were both over looked - I don't think I would choose to use it at the weekend's when I think it will be very busy as it's open for the complete day and because the room prices are 25% more.

Really happy experience for me. I liked the high standards they strive for. Not surprising as some staff are Ex/military. Even though you're probably expected to finish breakfast I think by 9.30, I still got a cheery farewell when I finished 9.45 and I was the last to leave by at least 10 minutes. Very polite experience at this hotel. And I was pleased with my choice of hotel to visit the Naval dockyard tourist attraction

Good location, and facilities.

Bath is high to get in and out of, with no hand rail provided. This needs to be considered for the safety of older guests like us.

Located close to the harbour, and Gun Wharf shops and restaurants. Comfortable bar area onsite. Good buffet breakfast.

Apart from the room problem we had a good stay and the breakfast was excellent

Room very noisy due to a shaft just outside the window. Difficult to sleep and couldn't open the window because of this. Have been advised to ask for the West wing as it is quieter

Great spot for harbour attractions
    • Standard Twin Room

My travel companion said her bed was a bit uncomfortable. I think a new mattress may be needed (room 309). Mine was fine.

Nice breakfast with lots of choice. Appreciated being able to leave luggage before check-in and after check-out. Lovely little swimming pool and jacuzzi. Good room and great location for harbour station and attractions. Would stay again.

Good

Receptionist knowledge of local restaurants. Did not know of any Chinese in the area. There was a good one within 4 minutes walk!!

sausages were outstanding, never had better in the many hotels I have stayed in

The hotel decorations are dated it was like going back 40 years!! The bathroom tiles have been painted over with white paint! The TV was far to small to view ! One of the lowest standard hotel I’ve stayed in for a long time !!

Very pleasant & a very comfortable bed.

The bedroom windows hardly opened, however they had provided a fan. No air conditioning in the bedrooms. Parking was also very limited however, i managed to purchase a permit from reception to park in resident areas.

Booked on one of the hottest days of the year, but the bar was beautifully air conditioned!

Nice hotel with a strong Club feeling, which is no surprise...

Nice hotel with a strong Club feeling, which is no surprise given its history. Location excellent, but note very limited parking. Staff very good and place kept clean and welcoming.

Friendly , staff who were very helpful , the location of the hotel was ideal to visit everthing

The room was very warm and there was no fresh air able to ciculate

The location was ideal , the traditional style of the building was in keeping with the historiy of the area

Very enjoyable for a short stay.

It was very hot in the room,no air conditioning. We did find a couple of fans in the wardrobe which we did use. Would not have stayed otherwise.

Friendly staff, good breakfast and great location.

breakfast choice excellent and room was very good.

Due to very hot weather temperature in room at night uncomfortable -little could be done to alter this.

breakfast choice excellent and room was very good.Cleanliness excellent in all areas especially room and staff all very good without exception.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Great location and building, Royal Navy history just drips...

Usually the hotel has an excellent breakfast, however on this occasion there was no bacon, tomato’s or even eggs available when we arrived 30 minutes before last orders. Although some eggs were then cooked and arrived late. Very disappointed. If any one reading this can also believe the bar did not have any ice in the evening, and the barman gave off an aura of complete indifference, possibly because all he wanted to do was close up and shoo the patrons out immediately at 23:00 hours. Again very very disappointed and I cannot imagine I will be using this hotel again.

Great location and building, Royal Navy history just drips from every brick.

Overall a good one night stay
    • Standard Twin Room

The room when we arrived was very hot, we felt that the Windows being opened before we arrived would have been beneficial. Breakfast fried eggs were a little over done.

Very comfortable beds and wonderful breakfast bacon.

Good value for money hotel - does what it says on the tin

rooms are a bit dated and due to the very hot weather in the UK it was too hot in the rooms

good breakfast. super location. hotel had free off street parking - limited spaces but as advertised

A taste of the old Marine Times

Got a bit lost finding the room as there were two staircases a bit disorienting, had to ask at breakfast for items to be refilled on the buffet.

Room was quite hot but a fan was provided and it was a particularly hot time of the year.

Excellent location, good facilities including a swimming pool and delightful staff.

The staff are the real stars of this hotel. All of them, particularly the receptionists, went out of their way to help us in every way -- even guiding us to the right place to find a birthday cake after hours. They were warm, charming and professional. We'll definitely return here.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Travelled to watch football at Fratton Park. Great location for the trains and pubs.

The bedroom was very hot when we entered. I think it would benefit from A/C.

Very quaint hotel. Even though it was clean, decor was good it was very dated. Location was excellent and the staff and buffet breakfast was brilliant. Parking was across the street in a multi storey which was half price with a stamp from the hotel.

Staff on arrival were excellent.
    • Standard Twin Room

Staff on departure were very poor. Room had very tired furniture and general room decor also had seen better days (faux Stag furniture).Best that can be said about room was that it was 'adequate'.

Staff on arrival were excellent. Room size very good.

Very good breakfast choices.

Lack of room numbers at the top of the stairs so tricky to find the right corridor. Room was hot. Shower head sprayed water everywhere.

Very good breakfast choices. Comfy bed and clean room. Very friendly and helpful staff. Excellent location.

Good location with good facilities

Rooms (non-superior) are average and ours was clean but not immaculate. The breakfast isn’t on late enough in the weekends meaning that we never made it (had a late night at a wedding the night before!) breakfast finishes at 1000 even on sat/sun!

Location was good, staff helpful and polite. The reception area and public areas are all very clean, inviting and embrace the naval theme. Rooms are sufficient and are spacious enough; bathroom large!

As expected

Our room was a little tired and not as clean as it could ha d been - hair in the shower etc.

Good location and good public areas - breakfast was of good quality

Ok

Rooms warm, need explanation in room how to open windows further , as if it hadn't been for my son I would have roasted again

Nice size rooms , food good

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Staff were friendly and attentive, the property was clean...

Lack of attention to detail when preparing the room; electric items weren't plugged in and furniture had to be moved to get this rectified. No ironing boards or irons are permitted in the rooms.

Staff were friendly and attentive, the property was clean and very well presented.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Atmospheric and great location

I understand that some of the rooms have been refurbished. I was clearly not in one of those. The bathroom window didn't open and the musty smell was quite overbearing by the second night. I stayed during the heatwave which didn't help.

The location was brilliant and the hotel has a lot of atmosphere due to its "ship" structure. The staff were all really friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Ideal location and close to the harbour and museums
    • Standard Twin Room

It's a real shame that the pool area is not open early in the morning to guests.

I liked the fact that we could park directly outside the hotel, although I think we were lucky to get a space as parking was quite limited. Ideal location for Gunwhalf shopping centre.

Sweat box

The room was a sweat box. The heat from the room was so intense. We complained to reception and was advised to keep the one fan on all day and open the window. The window opened onto a flat roof. We asked a porter to bring us another fan, which he did. For the two nights there, my husband and I had no sleep. Due to the heat and the noisy fans. I even bought cotton wool to put in my ears to block some of the noise. We complained to management and they came upstairs and said a lot of rooms where hot. If they know there is a problem then invest in air conditioning. Would never stay agsin and would not recommend. Very disappointed.

Breakfast was nice.

Very handy for naval sights. Hotel dated in parts.
    • Standard Twin Room

Rather dated room and bathroom - but functional enough. It was stunningly hot (middle of heat wave) on the 3rd floor but bedroom windows could be left open at night as the street noise wasn't too bad. That helped a lot.

Very handy for the naval sights. Impressive foyer. No nonsense bar. Busy breakfast buffet but nice touches like a decent fruit salad kept in a fridge. Large room. Surely the only hotel in the country where the (small) lift has been opened by the Queen, poor woman (!)

A lovely little find!

Room was very warm but not the hotel's fault. Fans were provided to ease the conditions in exceptionally hot weather! Net curtains would have been appreciated, especially as we were in a room that was closely overlooked by a residential area. However, we would not hesitate to rebook a stay at this hotel.

Room was comfortable, with large bed and good storage facilities. Breakfast choice and quality was second to none.

Over priced...Low standard

Car park arrangement, needed a parking permit. Room was too hot, no ventilation or Aircon. Facilities were old and outdated. Towel rail fell off the wall. Shower was a trickle. Breakfast although plenty was low quality.

Staff OK..Clean

Lovely traditional maritime hotel with excellent facilities and first class staff.

The first room offered was extremely poor. Staff were excellent at dealing with our request to change rooms and upgraded us to a newly refurbished superior room however, the shower in this room was very poor.

The shower cubicle is far too small with barely space to stand let alone manoeuvre and the temperature bar was not easy to operate resulting in boiling hot or freezing cold water.

2 night stay in portsmouth.

Old tired and very small rooms.taps on sink not working and the shower was a joke.also had to pay another 10 pounds to stay in car park opposite hotel as limited parking and guests fighting to get one of the spaces

Breakfast ok but thats all.was great location for dockyard and attractions.

Club atmosphere - good location

Fair enough it is described as a 'club' and that's how it is - club atmosphere.

5 mins walk away from the historic shipyard and the HMS warrior and 10 mins walk from a massive choice of seafront restaurants on the quay overlooking spinnaker tower.

Not pleasant

No aircon in room. Staff never told any. Information about facilities in hotel. Breakfast had to ask staff to clear some tables cause none left to sit at. Then member of staff wasent happy and never wiped table down after clearing pots.Orange juice was cordial and watered down so no flavour and not pleasant to drink. Staff talking when entered breakfast room and was talking and carried on talking, and second morning had mouthful of food when serving us and just pointed to go in anywhere.

Bed was slightly larger then double

Weekend stay for Goodwood fos

Very small rooms which were so warm we couldn't sleep even with a fan on constantly. Bed very small and very soft.

Great location. Great staff. Well priced drinks and food in bar. Cheap parking although not a lot of spaces.

Adequate but far from comfortable
    • Standard Twin Room

No air conditioning so too hot at night. Very noisy. People outside the hotel shouting and laughing until 4.00am. Not an isolated incident as t happened on 2 consecutive nights. Hotel very tired. The bathroom window fell off in my friends room. Reported immediately but nothing done about it. Still the same 2 days later.

Location. Walking distance to train station, bus station, ferries, restaurants, bars and Harbour attractions

Great location, friendly staff.

No rock music radio at breakfast!

Great location, very friendly staff. Rooms generous size and clean. Restaurant and bar a bit soulless but not really a criticism! Great for a couple of nights to base yourself to see all the sights.

Adequate but expensive.
    • Standard Twin Room

Dirty carpet in room, mould on tiles and bath mat. Offered a superior room but cramped compared to the one we had. Hotel very hot, no aircon. Very uncomfortable for sleeping

Staff, breakfast, location to dockyards and ferries.

Hotel very close to train station. Everything in walking distance. Staff were friendly enough

The room was extremely hot even with window open and fan. Could do with net curtain as couldn't leave normal curtains open as people can see in room and too hot to wear bed clothes. Had thick duvet on bed. Swimming pool too small. Ended up ill as air con in Bar was freezing and bedroom extremely hot

Room was a good size. Shower easy to operate.

Excellent!

Only drawback is the room was very warm, there was air conditioning in the restaurant but not in the rooms. In the exceptionally hot weather at the moment it was too warm for sleeping comfortably.

Really friendly helpful staff. Excellent breakfast, very well laid out. Used the restaurant all three nights as it was so good, different menu every night to a high standard and always given a jug of water and rolls on arrival. Excellent room facilities, large bathroom and good sized shower, large bed and plenty of space. Only drawback was the room was very warm. The weather was exceptionally hot but the room stayed very warm, managed to open the windows wide and kept the fan on all night. Bed was large, quite soft. Nice pool and bar area. It is situated right opposite the Dockyard Carpark with plenty of spaces available. It was quite busy to get outside the hotel parking but you got a 50% discount on parking in the carpark. £10 for 24 hours so only cost us £5. Only 5 mins walk to the Dockyard attractions, Spinnacker Tower and Gunwharf Quays with plenty of restaurants. Lovely view of the Spinnacker Tower from our window beautifully lit at night.

Browse Royal Maritime Club traveller photo gallery