Reviews of Royal Hotel

High Street, Purfleet, RM19 1QA, United Kingdom

#1 of 1 hotels in Purfleet

5.7

Rooms were absolute stifling hot. Window let no air in whatsoever. Couldn’t get ready comfortably as it was so ridiculously hot. Beds not very comfy. Bathroom had hairs in it (which wasn’t ours) and at the end of our stay the fire alarm went off at 8am, when we asked why this happened we just got a response of ‘security, welcome the the UK’ I’ve lived in the uk all my life. Not sure if I would stay here again. Good location but everything else pretty rubbish to be honest.

Good location. Easy to find.

The water system is noisy when running water or flushing toilets, not good if people get up in the middle of the night for the bathroom

Comfy bed and pillows, clean room, large spacious bathroom.

WiFi was poor, so we went to the bar

It's not really a hotel but a very good pub that has rooms, we had a good evening meal and a steady supply of Merlot to keep us happy. Bed was comfortable If I'm down that way again I'll stay again

It was the area it was in that was dirty scruffy and ruff as guts is the term I would use. I felt unsafe with the groups of teenage foreign kids sitting the bench outside the back of hotel in full view of everyone drinking and smoking it’s a shame really as the hotel is lovely

The hotel itself and the staff are friendly warm and welcoming the food was amazing and the views where lovely

• Deluxe Double Room

The location on the Thames is lovely, but before you get to the hotel you have to drive through a housing estate where sometimes kids are hanging around on street corners.

We stayed in a room downstairs in the main building and it was very modern and comfortable, the lady who checked us in was really lovely.

No problems at all to report.

Husband is disabled and a number of ground floor rooms are available. Staff are very friendly and the home-cooked food is excellent. The view of the Thames from the rooms at the back is a bonus!

A little more desk/work top space in the room with a working TV would have been useful.

The price was low for an outer London hotel so my expectations were not high. I was not disappointed or overwhelmed. If you pay a low price then one should not expect a lot. The room was OK and the breakfast was good.

Weather was extremely wet & windy of course no fault of hotel BUT our window was rather leaky so maintenance needs to change this .. we just drew curtains n ignored it 😁

Comfy bed & friendly welcoming staff n good price

The only issue that I could possibly find was the tv was on the small side - a larger one would have allowed and made better use of the free wifi provided (as a work screen) . The wifi was more than acceptable speed to work without any major issues .

Have to say I couldn't believe I found this little gem x the building is under referbishment and not too sure If all rooms have been modernised yet but ours was very nice - new carpets /beds/decor the effort and works are all in good favour - it was a cold and wet weekend when we stayed and heating was lovely an warm - I can imagine being here on a summer day and would be very pleasing to the eye with the pub/restaurant garden over looking the water x The room we stayed in had the same view x Staff were lovely and the welcome packs are very generous and well ment . We didn't need anything and were pleased with all as was more than expected x we will be going back as location an price suits very well .This might not be to everyone's taste but very clean /modern and modest - this suited our needs an expectations above and beyond . Pub and restaurants were appealing and even thou we weren't using the restaurant was a welcoming aroma . I'm sure the next time we stay we will find out .

Well the bathroom didn't get cleaned. The bar area could do with a paint.

Easy parking and good location. Lovely big beds in a large room. Friendly staff.

About a 7 minute walk from stafion but road to hotel was dark and a bit creepy for a lone female..However this is not the hotel’s fault.

I arrived late and exhausted. The price for my night was very reasonable and I hadn’t read reviews.So it was a pleasant surprise to see a friendly,helpful receptionist. The bar looked cosy but I didn’ t spend time there. My room was big,spotless.A bath as had been requested and a very comfy orthopaedic mattress with lovely soft pillows.Oh,and biscuits to go with tea or coffee. I would definitely stay again. Dudn’t have the continental breakfast for £4.95 as I had too much to do before leaving. There was also a guest car park.

• Deluxe Double Room with River View

The WIFI was a bit patchy in the room and some of the furniture is looking tired, but really a minor consideration.

Lovely staff, warm, welcoming and friendly. Deluxe room with river view, good size recently redecorated, bathroom well appointed. Shower excellent. Bed comfortable. Great steak for supper, bar area friendly, as a female travelling alone I did not feel uncomfortable chatting to the locals. Really good breakfast, cooked for me, kept me going all day, very good price. Good value for money, loved watching the ships on the river and the ship models in the bar. Keep up the renovations!

Nothing negative to say really ideal for our use and very good value

Very good staff accommodating and friendly - Will stay there again when visiting Brands Hatch

On the first day I found 3 spuders in my room There are no radiators installed in the room No blind over one if the windows so I had to

The location was good

Firstly when we pulled in I was appalled by the parking, then rather than being showed where our room was we was pointed to a buliding and told where to go. When we open the door we was absolutely amazed to find a doom, tiny room. I was so embarrassed when my partner of only 2 months asked me who suggested this hotel. Looks nothing like it does in the pictures on booking.com and I wouldn’t even pay £30 let alone £60! Then to make matters better we went to have a coffee and the cups were dirty. Highly disappointed, you won’t be seeing us again.

The lady behind the desk was friendly.

Area feels like its off the beaten track and some youths hanging around outside .. "watching".

Located next to the River Thames, with a very distant view of the Canary Wharf complex, as well as the Dartford Bridge crossing.

No complaints at all.

My husband is disabled so we needed a ground floor room, of which there are a number. Our room overlooked The Thames which was a bonus. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful when my husband became unwell during the evening. The help with the wheelchair pushing/case carrying was very welcome. The food is very good but beware, the portions are large! Excellent breakfast.

• Deluxe Double Room

Room was dirty. Paid a lot for deluxe room with no bath or fridge. Restaurant menu was very limited and chips with everything. Food was very average and not always heated enough. I would suggest you look elsewhere.

Staff were helpful but hard to find. Reception was rarely manned.

Very Dirty and Grimey we laid towels down on floor so as not to touch carpet...so dirty, made room and corridors and stairs unbearable smell :( breakfast rushed out , good ingredients but not cooked nicely...also one toaster 2 slices at a time, made people feel awkward... not enough vinagar sachets... tea and coffee water from a flask.. made coffee and tea undrinkable..we felt like we had to wipe everything before we ate or drank...very unloved hotel :(

price i guess... and clean sheets

the room , the staff, this place has nothing going for it

Was very let down by this run down shabby old place and breakfast was very poor and no selection of anything.

Public area carpets are stained and worn. The Annex is in need of a total refurbishment. The rooms very good, but what you walk through to get to them isnt.

Clean, comfortable room. Plenty of tea and coffee provided.

Carpets a bit grimey and in need of replacement. Could do with a pot of paint inside and out. Reminded me a bit of the Bates Motel out of Psycho!

The location. The Views. The bar/restaurant staff. Nice friendly atmosphere. A hotel with character!! Honest to goodness pub food and plenty of it! Popular with the locals which is always a good sign.

Very tired decor and furniture. Crack in the filthy window. The bathroom was so old even though it had been cleaned it looked dirty and not really somewhere you wanted to use. Obviously a hotel used by contractors who's vans and trucks took up most of the car parking.

The room was a good size with every facility and the beds were very comfy. The bathroom was a good size with plenty of room and the shower was awesome.

It was filthy hotel old and shabby, would leave a dog stay their, other foreign workers drinking cans outside the hotel, no wifi in the rooms beds were tiny shower leaking all over the bathroom food poor and creasy

• Deluxe Double Room

Brilliant service and very welcoming staff. I got a free ride as taxi did not turn up. Friendliness of chef and reception staff made my day. Thank you.

We didnt like anything. Absolutely stinking, dirty. Didnt feel clean at all. The beds are so uncomfortable. There wasnt enough car park facility in front of the hotel and needed to drive around for 30 min to find a place as it didnt feel safe to leave the car anywhere. Do not recommend to stay there to anyone but builders with dirty boots. If you have extra £10 book it somewhere else

No wi-fi in the bedrooms.

The staff went out of their way to help. My disabled daughter was unable to get up for breakfast a couple of mornings and the Chef insisted on sending Breakfast to her room, making her a bacon sandwich instead of the cooked breakfast. Score for the kitchen staff 12/10.

However the hotel itself is scruffy. The public areas are filthy and there are terrible cooking smells in the hallway early evening. The hotel is used by a lot of contractors who I would guess have portable cookers in the rooms . Hence the cooking smells. Also early evening the doorways are full of smokers and folks on phones ringing home. Not pleasant for a pair of old fogies. Our room was absolutely fine once we were inside its just once you opened your room door.

Good quality breakfast and evening meal. Fair price.

The floors looked disgusting with all stains everywhere, just needs a touch up to the hotel

Lovely meal wasn't much food you get but the fudge cake was amazing

The fact that the room was cold cause the heaters wasn't working or they didn't put it on

That it had good bedroom facilities and the bed was quite comfortable. Thank you

Surprised how much traffic was on the river during the night - this is either good or bad depending on if you like looking at boats. Rooms on the other side of the hotel probably not affected.

Good parking, nice river view, comfortable room. Nice walking by river and on local RSPB reserve.

This was the dirtiest, most disgusting place I have ever stayed in and would never stay here again nor recommend it to anyone else. The walls, doors, curtains and blinds were all dirty. The drawers were old and smelly. The lighting was terrible. Not enough hangers for a long stay which I booked. One night I found a slug in the bathroom which was about 6cm long. There were cobwebs and spiders in most corners. Advertised Hair Dryer in room, I had to get one from the office. Advertised Free Wifi - NOT in room, only in public areas. Security lights outside didn't work, room had exterior door so did not feel safe at night.

The bed was clean and reasonably comfortable. I only booked this accommodation due to the location.

Went for a shop to the walk and once you leave the hotel and bar and walk into the estates it's not very nice so wouldn't recommend leaving the accompdation

Felt like a old country pub and was very welcoming

• Deluxe Double Room

The property was run down. Staff were rude and unhelpful. Check-in closes at 11pm and we were woken at 3am by a late arrival banging on every window of the property to try and gain admission. There was no emergency contact number for someone to come and deal with this and I had to get out of bed and deal with it myself. The "bathroom" was a glass partition at the end of the bedroom with tilt & turn blinds affording no privacy. The entire property was run down and the bedroom smelled of smoke. There are no hairdryers in the rooms - we asked on check in for one and were told to return in the morning to obtain one from reception; there was no one available to deal with us until 7.45am and we had to leave before 8am to attend an event; something staff were made aware of when we checked in. At 7.50am there was a power cut in our room and no-one could be found to deal with it. We left with damp hair and damp spirits! Please, do yourself a favour and stay elsewhere - this place was fawlty towers without the humour

There was honestly nothing to like

The room when we went in stank of stale urine, we had to open all the windows and door for two hours. we also had to leave the toilet extractor fan on as this is where the smell was coming from and this room had no windows.

• Deluxe Double Room

Food was terrible . Ordered a luxury burger nothing luxury about it. and food was not cooked properly. Room was next to the toilets to the bar was not happy

Good bar

Noise of outside.other rooms, limited parking, workers-hotel with rowdy crowd drinking.Room was very basic and very outdated, area not so nice and rough.

Breakfast was good, Location was at the river

The room are not advertised, its a total reap of for the amount of money. Also the room services was ready knocking at the door at 11:30am wao . It is more like a hostel to a hotel. No wifi connections, I was told internet is only available at the reception. why then advertised as internet available. Also not in this world there was no refridgirator in any of the rooms. No cross ventilation except you open the window........ it was a total reap off for money

The environment was in a poor state, the rooms are just not as advertised, the toilet is the only good thing about the room,

• Deluxe Double Room

There was no fan in the room. I was given one when I asked for one as ground room with large windows and did not feel safe to leave window open.

The bed was very comfortable.

Toilet didn't flush well but apparently is a problem in this area of England. Problem with shower water temperature which is to be fixed.

A work in progress. Staff very friendly and considerate. Renovation ongoing. Bar and restaurant area beautifully refurbished. Rooms are in progress. My room was painted but still to have proper renovation. It was very dated. Bed was comfy memory foam and bedding and towels very clean.

A little tricky to find if you have had a long drive! Unfair to point out things that clearly will be dealt with as the hotel moves through its refurbishment programme.

An interesting experience that was not unpleasant. Obviously, as the hotel is experiencing modernisation and an upgrade, it should be viewed from that perspective. Overall, I had a short but very pleasant stay! Very interesting location over-looking the Thames.

• Deluxe Double Room with River View

The bed was very SQEAKY and the walls weren't soundproof so we could hear people from the next room very clearly which was not pleasant at all! The place looks very RUN DOWN so could do with some renovation. There was also NO AC in the room so it got very hot and there were some noises (like generators) at night time. Last of all, A STAFF TRIED TO OPEN OUR DOOR with the keys without our consent while we were still inside (around 9am just to tell us we check out at 11am); this was very annoying and EXTREMELY RUDE!! Furthermore, she did not even apologise!!

It was very convenient that it is close to the train station so we could travel to London (takes around 20 minutes) and the river is right next to the hotel. We stayed in the deluxe room with riverside view which was better than we expected. The bar was nice too. The room was pretty clean.

The shower leaked everywhere on the floor and between 2 of us we only had 1 large towel and a hand towel which we had to use on the floor to prevent the carpet outside the bathroom getting wet

The room was clean and comfortable

There was only one tiny fault and that was the decoration in the room hasn't been finished to the best of standards but that is just being really fussy

We had a room in the cottages and couldn't Of asked for more. It was great value for money, bed was comfortable, shower was clean and worked well. Great view from are window as looked out onto the river. Lady at reception was very friendly and tried to be as helpful as she could. All staff Where really friendly to be honest even. Bar area was really nice and had great views and seating areas. Would definitely stay here again and would recommend to anyone as was such great value for money

• Deluxe Double Room

Would have liked a few more guest as I was sat on my own bored but can't blame the hotel for that. Terrible weather but that's Britain for you!

The bed was very comfortable, good shower, the food & drink price was very good for the location, The best mixed grill I have ever had & i've had many.

On arrival the accommodation smelt a bit fusty/unfresh in spite of being aired ( open window on arrival) but that didn't linger or prove to be a problem. Could hear men in room above me walking about v early in the morning - sounded as though on wooden floor not carpet - but it didn't really bother me or spoil my stay.

The reason the hotel suited me was as a base to enable me to visit/help my daughter and her husband as they had just had twins. The hotel was next door to their flat. I actually asked to stay at the hotel another 3 nights and was given the same room. The accommodation was particularly suited to me as it was self contained in a separate terraced building with its own front door. I walked the short distance to the main hotel for breakfast.

Alot of building contractors who stay up late, are loud and wake up very early. Door of room had been smashed and repaired. Standard rooms are very dated. Very thin walls. Ground floor room not appealing.

Great location next to the river. Superior rooms were much better than standard rooms. Long heritage of the building. Comfy beds and clean.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with River View

1) The facilities were terrible, and the room was not comfortable at all. 2) No soap in the bathroom. Hands washed with the shower gel provided. Did not bother to ask from the reception after seeing other major deficiencies in the room. 3) Dust everywhere, the floor was not properly cleaned and the glasses for the water were dirty. 4) Sound insulation simply non-existent. Could easily hear every detail from conversations of the next room. 5) Total renovation is nessesary. Go there only if you want a room to sleep and nothing more but unfortunately the price does not follow the same logic.

Couldn't park straight away due to vans blocking spaces but soon rectified.

Perfectly clean and comfortable room with a very comfy bed. Great room for a couple of nights stay. Restaurant food good.

• Deluxe Double Room

Just a small detail - it would have been nice for diabetics and those on a diet to have sweeteners provided in the room along with both types of sugar.

This is a traditional, old-fashioned, tavern style pub-hotel. Conveniently situated within a five-minute walk to Purfleet rail station and not far from the M25 and A13, it backs onto the river Thames and is virtually adjacent to Rainham Marshes RSPB nature reserve. Accommodation is divided between the main hotel and an annexe. Although the accomodation is fairly basic, recent efforts to update, decorate and modernise have made the hotel more conducive to visitors. This time I paid a small extra premium for a deluxe room, which was money well spent as the room had clearly been upgraded recently. A very comfortable double bed was complemented by a spacious en-suite shower room with modern fittings. Complimentary tea and coffee with biscuits were provided. I did not make use of the restaurant facilities this time, so cannot comment on the food. Previous breakfasts have been very good. The staff are always very friendly and helpful and I recommend this hotel for those seeking accommodation in the budget range.

The noise of next door room, needs more soundproofing. Broken window pane on bedroom entrance. Nothing that detracted from enjoying our stay.

People in the restaurant and bar excellent and friendly. Made us feel very welcome

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Little gem this hotel ..... a delight to say there. Food was fabulous as was the staff .... river view. Lovely walk by the hotel .... easy to find and good location ....

• Deluxe Double Room

Having no plug near the mirror made things a little difficult. A few bugs and spiders in the room across the weekend but due to the garden outside it didn't bother me, but just a heads up... Breakfast finishing at 10am on Sunday...

The (brunette) lady at check in was lovely, food from the bar was very nice and great value for money. The fact we could open the doors out into the garden and there was a huge mirror made the room almost perfect.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

The see through curtains the bed was like sleeping on wood the flood lights shining into our room my son took his matteress off his bed an slept on the floor because the bed was unsafe hair on the bathroom walll the shower hose broken the english breakfast wasn't worth £9.00 cobwebs all over the room and broken bed lamps hanging off the bed headboard broken bedside cabinet.

The bar

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Very noisy room in the main building

I was in room 26.. very noisy with passing traffic.. I was moved to a different room next day that was very quiet and very cosy.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Was allocated a very small room initially, nothing like what the pictures showed when booking. After a few hours, was changed to another room, just like the photos on the site except we had to have a twin instead of a double as there were no other rooms available.

Nice view from the room, quiet area and easy to get to.

The initial view of the hotel from the car park was no welcoming. Decor quite outdated and room was freezing but a heater was provided. The toilet seat did not stay up so presented a challenge to my 6 foot tall husband!!! Surrounding area seems bleak but the bar looked very pleasant.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Staff was very rude when we asked for a refund on breakfast they told me yes but we don't want you eating here anyway very rude I will not be staying there again

Even though the bathroom was big the bath wasn't very big

The bed was really comfy even though we had a view on next doors house when we went to the back of the hotel it was a beautiful view

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

The decor was dire we were in a hostel looking building separate to the hotel with the full time clientele lurking by the entrance so it felt intimidating.We usually stay nearby at the Premier Inn for the same price but due to The london Marathon everything was fully booked now we know why this place had vacancies. We last stayed here 20 years ago so we're pretty shocked to see the state it is in . This should never be described as a hotel it's a hostel and a poor one at that .

The river view

Food was really nice, but be nice to have a wider menu.

Views out room and dining area. Good size room. Good bath. Good meal. Very friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 30 March 2017

We stayed for 3 nights the rooms would definitely benefit having a fridge maybe even a microwave in rooms? As when you have a toddler some food and drink needs are standard :)

All of it had a great 3 night stay ;)

The room was cold and couldn't get the heater to work. The mattress was thin and not very comfortable. The room was ok but the rest of the place (i.e. Corridor, walls and carpets) could do with a revamp.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Website showed Wi-Fish available. Reality is Wi-Fine only available in main block until 23:00. Annexes & cottages do not have Wi-Fish. Room not vacuumed for 3 days!

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

No negatives for area it's value needed a room shower and got breakfast as well plus biscuits to go you know what I mean

100% have breakfast worth every penny 5 hotels in 5 days and this 1 stands out wish I had arrived earlier and would have had the evening meal well done

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

Se above

Did not use the WiFi as just wanted to sleep. Room was very dated and so was the rest of the building i stayed in, Windows needed cleaning had a looking out side they had a old mattresses and cupboards against the wall.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

The exterior is a bit dark at the front but the view over the river more than makes up for it

Restaurant was super and food cooked exactly to my liking

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

The place felt it was for the down and outs the reception area was very rough the carpets were filthy the walls needed painting the bathroom needed tiles on the floor I have no idea why there is wood on part of the ceiling and window

The only thing nice was the beds were clean the carpets was filthy the bathroom was clean the staff were pleasant

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with River View

Outside a bit shabby and needs redecorating.

Friendly, helpful receptionist. Excellent deluxe rooms - excellent decor, comfy bed, excellent shower. Good bar and decent food at a great price.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Chefs pies were in fact just ordered in from bookers. Half of the menu wasn't available, The scumbags they let in the bar swearing whilst intoxicated, and not even residents. No night Porter which resulted in some guy off his head running round the building causing a disturbance to the whole hotel, trying to break into rooms and shouting aggressively to anyone that didn't answer. Another guests windowscreen on his car got smashed as a result. No showergel or shampoo in the rooms. The room was freezing cold aswell. With just an electric heater in there.

The breakfast

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

No heating or hot water in the room, poor food in the restaurant and no staff available in the morning to discuss problems with. Emailed complaint and had no reply.

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

Thicker curtains or blinds in our road facing room to keep out light from streetcars.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Lounge/bar comfortable.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

The kettle was dusty and room could of done with a general spruce up, but linen was all crisp and clean.

Plenty of tea and coffee in room..heater worked well in the room.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Is in need of modernisation and redecorating. Purchased drinks to take away from the bar which was pure extortion (6 bottles of budweiser lager cost £24.50). I feel they abuse the fact that there are no local shops. More TLC from housekeeping would be appreciated. I ordered a bacon baguette which had a fishy smell so found it hard to eat (was very hungry and no restaurants nearby).

Receptionist was very welcoming and helpful

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Paid for what you got so have to expect the standard. However when the hotel did not offer food on one evening and there is no other pubs or restaurants around the area in walking distance I found that a massive annoyance.