Reviews of Royal Seven Stars Hotel 3 stars

The Plains, Totnes, TQ9 5DD, United Kingdom

#11 of 18 hotels in Totnes

Relaxing, interesting and alternative
    • Deluxe Double Room

Stayed in the Agatha Christy room. The bed is very soft and rather saggy.

Super location with a lively atmosphere. This a hotel which is well used by many residents of Totnes as their local. Nice restaurant and very friendly staff.

A good short break - we will do it again.
    • Premier Double or Twin Room

The convenience - bus stops outside with a frequent service to Exeter, Plymouth, Paignton & Torquay and 2 hrly service to Dartmouth. Links with boat & steam rail trips. The quality and variety of the food. The staff - friendly helpful service

The hotel was very old with great character.
    • Standard Twin Room

The bedroom was small with triple glazed windows to keep out the noise of traffic but the air conditioning was rather temprementalt and at night was very hot most of the time.

The hotel was very old with great character. The food was excellent and the young staff charming

A very nice hotel well located and historic.
    • Premier Double Room

I would have liked breakfast to be included for the price.

A very nice hotel well located and historic. Interesting entry. Very nice and helpful staff.

Amazing Hotel Amazing Staff Amazing Food
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

The fact I didn’t book a longer stay !!

The room was so comfortable and had everything plus more, the Hotel itself was amazing, the staff were so genuinely friendly and helpful always had a ready smile the food was delicious, we can’t wait to go back for another visit and I would whole heartedly recommend this Hotel to everyone.

Will definitely stay again.
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

I rang 1 hour before arrival to ask if there was a lift, as just realised that my husband just diagnosed with heart disease can't walk more than one flight of stairs. The receptionist changed our room for arrival to a first floor room after my call. All staff were courteous and helpful but she went the extra mile.

Lively hotel in a great position .
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

Room and en suite were very small. Great for a short stay but no longer . Car park was limited but staff took on responsibility of moving cars etc. Quite pricey compared with other hotels .

Excellent location for town and riverside Comfortable room and bed.

A very pleasant overnight stay lovely birthday treat for my sister.

Fan underneath my window think to do with kitchen a bit noisy through night woke me up on and off.

Friendly staff good location clean room and comfortable.

I enjoyed my stay

nothing happy with it all.

the bed had a very good sleep,the staff always had a smile and very helpful.The bed room very clean and there was milk and assortment of tea.Its in a very handy place and your will be made most welcome and its a nice place to stay.

Great centre for exploring area by boat, car or bus.
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

No lift, but staff were only too happy to help with luggage.

Staff extremely friendly and provided good service. Excellent breakfasts and good choice for evening meals. Huge comfortable bed and quiet location for a good night's sleep.

Excellent location in town centre.
    • Premier Double or Twin Room

Excellent location in town centre. Spacious, well-equipped room with very comfortable bed. Lively bar with a good choice of food and drink, and such generous portions of bar food that we were unable to manage any breakfast!

A little pricey
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

Bar prices quite high. Car park is small and tight but double parking works well as staff manoeuvre cars as needed for guests. Shower room very small.

Outside seating area is perfect when the sun is shining. Good locational.

Convenient location.
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

Food and service in the guest dining room. Long, long wait and then small portions. Noise of traffic due partly to window 'problems'.

Age, position and staff. Bedroom attractive.

Magical
    • Deluxe Double Room

The hotel has a lovely feel - the sort of feel that you don't get when the hotel is part of a big corporate chain. It is very individual and quirky; a sense that someone pays attention to detail. There's an intimacy and a welcome and a touch of class!

Just the place for a stop off on the way home.
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

Our shower was very small but we managed with a bit of clever manoeuvring.

We liked the atmosphere, we have visited many times but never stayed. Our room was comfortable and, for a town centre, very quiet at night. We loved sitting in the lounges with a drink and relaxing. We ate in the bar in the end as the restaurant was very quiet. Our dinner was very nice and we were very happy with everything on the whole. We were there just for one night on our way home from Cornwall.

Very pleasent

It was very noisy next to the main road and with the creaky floorboards in the room above and next door.

Excellent decoration throughout. The room was very pleasant and well thought out.

Really glad I chose it

Vegetarian sausage at breakfast was like a little vegetable burger with peas - there are better alternatives. Walking into the restaurant at dinner and breakfast was a bit odd - there was no one around - waited for what felt like ages and wondered if I was in the right place! I almost walked out - both times - maybe a notice would be helpful?

It was possible to have more or less vegan meal at dinner - enjoyed tomato soup and a cauliflower tart.

Overpriced
    • Standard Twin Room

The decor feels dated and old, and the hotel is very expensive for the standard of the room. £130 is a very expensive rate, considering that there is no bath in the bathroom and no breakfast included in the rate. The building is also quite noisy, and you can hear people in other rooms very clearly throughout the night.

Friendly staff.

Genuine, welcoming and professional
    • Standard Twin Room

On this occasion, nothing.

Perfect location in the main square with all amenities nearby. Booked a room only stay. The room I was allocated on arrival although pleasent had a pungent and unpleasant smell about it. When mentioned this to the reception desk the next morning, I was offered a room change without hesitation. The new room was an upgrade on the second floor. An unexpected treat. Thank you, you made my stay even more special .

The perfect place to stay in Totnes
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

I have stayed here several times for business and am always very satisfied.The rooms are very comfortable. The staff are excellent - friendly courteous and helpful and the food is great.

Exceptional staff, excellent breakfast, eat elsewhere in the evenings.
    • Standard Twin Room

We had a twin room and my husband ,who is not fat ,found the beds too narrow, he feared falling out. Ensuite shower room very snug. We were in Room 10 and could hear all the conversations of the people next door. The meals we ate in the evening were ok but we felt they were quite pricey for pub food. We ate in the pub area not the restaurant.

Staff were exceptional, definitely a strong point of the hotel. Breakfast excellent, scrambled egg and smoked salmon to be recommended .

Excellent stop for meeting wedding party at Follaton Hall
    • Standard Twin Room

The room could have been warmer. Traffic noise.

Did not realise there was one price for breakfast. Only had continental breakfast. Excellent room service breakfast on one morning.

Had a fantastic night away
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

Was a little disappointed that I paid more going through the internet as it said best price guaranteed but when we got to the hotel it was cheaper and we could have had breakfast aswell for the price I paid . As a good will gesture we were given a complimentary drink so couldn't fault the staff as it wasn't their fault ,the website that I used was misleading ,next time I'll book directly with the hotel.

Very nice room

Was not informed about the main door being locked after a certain time and was not made aware of the rear guest entrance. This led to me having to knock loudly on the door to wake up the night porter

Very nice room

Pleasent part from coldness from Windows and maids waking us up
    • Standard Twin Room

Coldness of the room, windows very drafty, got woken up from around 7am with maids being very loud and banging around, our rooms wall was shaking also at times, this carried on the until we left the room at 11am

Being close to near by shops

Great place to stay, Great Atmosphere, Ideal situation for Totnes and Very helpful friendly staff !

Thin walls between bedrooms. The TV was so loud I may as well have joined them. The room seemed very high up and out of the way a bit in the hotel and would have preferred a room nearer to the hub. Expensive ?? Was £60 when I first looked and then it jumped to £90. I thought that was too much without including breakfast and some of the noise issues within the hotel.

I thought the staff and atmosphere were great and would go back for sure if the price was right. Dog loved it ... very dog-friendly but did not smell of dogs like some B and B's. Exceptionally warm welcome and friendly atmosphere to be honest.

Excellent, hope to go again soon.
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

Lovely hotel full of character in a perfect location for the town. Staff very friendly and helpful. The evening meal in the bar was excellent, and good beers on tap. On-site parking is a little tight but we had no problem.

Lovely hotel in centre of Totnes would recommend.
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

I later discovered I could have got the room and breakfast included for £80 if I had booked directly with hotel instead of the £90 room only via Booking.com and then paid £10.50 for what was an excellent breakfast.

Room and en-suite very comfortable -- breakfast was excellent, great variety and full English very well cooked. Staff and reception very friendly and helpful

For what I was in the area to do (research) it was perfect, and will go back again - I hope
    • Standard Twin Room

squeaky floorboards :-) - But let's be honest for the character of the hotel a VERY small price to pay

everyone friendly, accommodating, and willing to help. Attentive without being invasive. The team were great.

Very pleasant in some respects, problematic in others.
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

Car parking, although one understands the constraints as there is no obvious way in which the existing car park could be extended. When we left we had to ask staff to move a car double parked behind us and then help us back onto the main road.

The room was comfortable and clean but there were two high steps from the bathroom down into the room down which I fell in the morning (fortunately without serious damage). There should be a hand hold to flag up the steps and assist descent. In the evening there was a lot of noise from the bar downstairs and from the street. This persisted until well after 2 am giving me little sleep.

Convenient location, nice hotel

Parking in the side car park was a little awkward, Not big enough but unavoidable. Leave your keys with reception and they move your car if someone else gets blocked in.

The hotel was very nice, unusual reception with grand staircase and quirky décor. Room was nice, overlooking the front but quiet enough. Staff were very helpful and pleasant. Bar meal was really lovely in a room made up like a pub. Not a conventional hotel, but I'm not conventional!

Comfortable stay in a lovely hotel within easy distance of all the pleasures of Totnes

I can't think how our stay could have been improved

We found the hotel and staff all delightful and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We had two rooms, one had previously had Daniel Dufoe as a guest and the other had been stayed in by Agatha Christie!

An enjoyable short stay with a group of former school colleagues.

Nothing really.

Town Centre situation with car parking,although that needs managing by the hotel, which they did well. Hotel was very comfortable and provided old world charm with modern facilities. Room very clean and tidy.

Really nice location, hotel, staff and food was also good and all at a reasonable price!
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

Offering breakfast earlier would have suited me as I had to leave at 7am, meaning no time to have breakfast so I had to have this on my travels to my Dorset meeting. I would have liked 6:30am so I could have been ready to go at 7am.

The room was comfortable. Exceptionally clean. Bar and restaurant areas were nice and had atmosphere with the hustle and bustle of diners. Totnes is a great place and the location of property was excellent.

Atmospheric old coaching inn with rooms, so public areas...
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

"Carvery Dinner" experience was a bit "Fawlty Towers", perhaps because it was a holiday weekend and the staff were tired. Generally really noisy under our window late at night (post pub..) and early morning staff movements near our room and above us from 6 a.m. reduced sleeping time.

Atmospheric old coaching inn with rooms, so public areas (bars, terrace) especially nice. Very convenient for exploring Totnes on foot and for access to the riverboat to Dartmouth.

Pleasent stay

Breakfast choice/presentation Cold welcome from breakfast staff Noisy neighbours till early hours of the morning in room 11 on Saturday night

Location Friendly and very helpful reception staff Style of property

A weeek-end stop
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

It would have been nice to have a room with bath rather than small-ish shower.

Location is great. Staff is friendly and accomodating, and food very good.

really enjouyable and relaxing
    • Standard Twin Room

The room was a bit warm but but there was aircon .

The staff were fantastic nothing was to much trouble, the room was very nice . and the bars in the hotel had a nice feeling about them.

Fulfilled its purpose as a base - didn't spend much time in hotel
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

Would have preferred a bath and shower, rather than just a shower Food in restaurant poor - steak was tough and tasteless and overlooked.

Beds comfy Staff very pleasant and helpful. Room well decorated and clean

I liked the location of the hotel and the friendliness of...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Can't think of anything I didn't like about the hotel

I liked the location of the hotel and the friendliness of all the staff as well as the fact that local Totnes people also used the bar and restaurant. It all made for a very enjoyable stay in South Devon

sumptuous breakfast in the town centre

This was our second stay here. my husband's brother and sister live close by so this hotel is very convenient. It is a family hotel in an old quirky building. There is a quiet reading room upstairs in addition to the public room on the ground floor. Apart from the location (at the bottom of the high street and near the river) another plus point is the splendid breakfast, cooked to order. Car parking is a bit limited but we did not have any difficulty in finding a space.

Amazing luxurious stay but mattress wanting!
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

The bed looked amazing but the mattress was a little bit too bouncy and sunken.

Jacuzzi bath amazing after 2 days of walking. Just what was needed. Town lovely and so many interesting places to visit. Weather could have been better but hey can't blame the hotel!

Location was excellent, breakfast good and room was okay.
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

Downstairs was extremely noisy, day and night, and smelt permanently of cooking. I was not warned they had musical entertainment in one bar which kept me awake the first night (it finished before midnight but I was tired), especially when there was also a private event with a barn dance along the corridor. Staff in the restaurant were very good but those on reception and in the office were not particularly welcoming or helpful. Given we paid over £100 for a single room and breakfast was extra, I was rather disappointed overall and doubt if I would return.

Location was excellent, breakfast good and room was okay.

Nice location
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

A bit expensive. Also didn't realise would be completely locked up at night. I got back after midnight and thankfully had their number so I could get to my room.

Nice big bed. Good shower.

Totnes was lovely in the bright sunshine.
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

The shower was very poor and the bed was a narrow double, we are not large people, and the mattress was uncomfortable.

The hotel is well located with a nice bar in a sunny spot. The breakfast was enjoyable with a good cooked menu.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

The best choice.

The entire break was excellent. No issues.

I loved the central location , close to the River, transport links and its situated just at the bottom of the main street with a view straight up the hill looking towards the Arch and Castle. The food was great and the Hotel a great blend of modern inside a historic shell.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Very good. Definately return. Staff excellent.
    • Standard Twin Room

Watching the traffic from the dining room window.

Great service. A location full of history and modern convenience in a good location. Great service and comfortable rooms. Eat at the location too. Definately return.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

Happy holiday
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

The staff were lovely. We were there for a family wedding which was wonderful. The venue was great, the food excellent and the facilities charming. Breakfast in the restaurant was good too.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

Party in the town weekend
    • Premier Double or Twin Room

Limited parking spaces meaning double park system in place making going out by car more difficult.

Designed with great character and interesting features. We went for the "party in the town" this was really a great location for all the venues.

A great break in Totnes and the surrounding area
    • Deluxe Double Room

We did not think that the food in the Saloon Bar on the first evening of our stay was value for the money charged and the quality of the food provided made us decide to eat elsewhere instead after that.

The room was spacious and laid out well. The drinks and snacks etc were suitable for all tastes. The bathroom facilities were excellent. The staff were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

We would come again.
    • Standard Twin Room

We had a very small bathroom. I could not reach the towel rail and didn't like it being situated over the toilet. The better situation would have been to the left on entering the bathroom.

The staff were very helpful and pleasant. The lounge and the view from the bay window plus thoughtful touches e.g. Colouring books and crayons for children. Visitors to residents made welcome.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

We had a lovely time.
    • Premier Double or Twin Room

Staff could have been more welcoming on arrival.

My favourite almond croissants for breakfast. I was disappointed that breakfast was not included in the room rate. We love the jacuzzi bath. Wine was lovely my husband enjoyed the craft beers. We love Totnes, was a bonus to stay at the Hotel.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Well worth staying
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

Room could have been a little larger

Food was tasty and plentiful. Staff all willing to go the extra step. Bar used by locals in the evening, opportunity to get to know people.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

A must stay
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

A bit more advice about the parking on the web and what to do when you arrive in the v small parking before you arrive so you know you can double park and leave the key & the staff will sort it out. We ended up wasting time & money on public parking when we didn't need to.

Unique beautiful heritage building. V good value. Modern bedroom v big & comfortable bed. Good sleep. Great location. Everything was fantastic.

Nice place, limited parking
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

The only flaw is the limited parking; they have maybe six spaces. The staff do a good job of taking car keys and double parking though.

Great location, and interesting building. The breakfast was good, and the beer and food were good in the pub area.

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

Like a good wine, it keeps getting better.
    • Premier Double or Twin Room

Too many decorative pillows in bedroom. Put them on top of wardrobe after second day to get them out of the way!

Well taken care of by staff at all locations. Stayed for nine days so plenty of time to meet a lot of the staff. Never disappointed.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Great historical property, good central location

Need to remember this is a very old building so the en-suite has been added to the room making the room smaller and the facility itself is somewhat compact - particularly the electric shower. Prices seem to vary depending on how you book and is not the best VFM in the area. located next to main road in centre of town so expect background noise.

Period property full of charm set centrally in the town. Staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

sleep ok, but avoid having breakfast!
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

cramped bathroom very poor restaurant service, especially at breakfast, which was a horrid reheated mess

looked attractive on the website, but a big disappointment

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

Great nights sleep and nice breakfast everything I needed...
    • Premier Double Room

I thought the drinks at the bar were slightly too expensive and food orders finished slightly too early.

Great nights sleep and nice breakfast everything I needed for a nights stay

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

A Wonderful Place for THE Devon Experience!!
    • Deluxe Double Room

No complaints at all. Wonderful hotel. I wish it wasnt raining so much but it was February!

The decor is incredible and the staff are incredibly helpful and welcoming. They were even very accommodating to our dog! It was a great location to explore Totnes town centre on foot. Plus the bar/restaurant prices were very reasonable for the quality of the venue.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Enjoy Totnes at its best!

Lack of a lift

Totnes at its best! Staff cheerful,very helpful and smartly turned out. Homely/comfortable and historically interesting. In every way a joyful experience.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Nice hotel & staff, shame about the noise.

Room hot & unable to turn off radiator in the bathroom. Two functions going on in the hotel & music very loud & continued to just after midnight. If I had been warned about this when booking a room I would not have stayed here.

Breakfast was excellent. Spacious room

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Excellent service, very Comfortable Hotel.
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

We had to wait to get our car out in the morning as the yard for parking is very small and guests have to double park. However we knew this the night before and parking is at a premium or very expensive in the town.

The bed was large and comfortable. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast eggs and full English items were freshly cooked and the buffet had a good range of fresh fruit and pastries.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Delightful.
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

It's a little expensive in my mind; £100 a night for a hotel bed & breakfast in a place like Totnes is a lot. (London for £50 a night in a similar hotel being possible) But there is little competition in Totnes... (And I booked months in advance too, so no help there!)

It was all fabulous. Friendly, welcoming, full of thoughtful care. The building is delightful - I love the decor - with its inner courtyard reception area, galleried landing, and great lanterned roof. The car-park is very tiny, but they had our keys and skillfully moved the double-parked cars around over the w/e without bothering any of us. I would stay again for sure.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Not much sleep
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

The bed! Like sleeping on the floor. Hard as a board. Thin summer quilt. Loads of pointless cushions. Premier Inn have very very good beds (Lenny is spot on) If they can manage it So should Seven Stars

Good location. Parking. Building with character 24 hr desk. breakfast was good The decor was good The cushions matched the curtains

HAPPY NEW YEAR
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

A New Year's Eve with everything A great live band ; the bar ; a gin/cocktail lounge ; lovely accommodation with exceptionally polite cheerful helpful staff and quality carvery the next day 👍👍 Will definately return

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

Xmas market break

Dinner was below par - sadly. Crowds for late night xmas market were too much (!) - not the hotels fault!

Location & atmosphere. Style - NOT modern!

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

A delightful weekend stay in the busy, friendly, smart, affordable Royal Seven Stars Hotel.
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

Parking a bit of a problem though even that was taken care of on my behalf in the tiny hotel car park by leaving my car keys with staff.

The comfort, style, staff and food were excellent coupled with a relaxed easy-going atmosphere yet attention to detail and guests' needs were catered very highly.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

Gorgeous quirky hotel with great staff.
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

Bathroom could be cleaner (lay down in the bath and you get a different view!). Real orange juice, not from concentrate, would be preferable for £90 a night!

Bed very comfy. Staff wonderful. Nice bathroom. Love this hotel.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

100% Happy
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

Faultless, nothing to complain about.

The room was comfortable, clean, warm and tastefully furnished beyond our expectations. A good selection of in-room beverages was provided. Very helpful, friendly, enthusiastic and smart staff both in the hotel and bars/restaurant who helped us enjoy our stay. Extensive menu and fantastic food, delicious and well presented. Live music in the bar (evening) was a pleasant surprise. Well situated at one end of the town and very close to Dartington, short taxi ride for Dartington events.

Everything.
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

I was waiting to be sat and served at breakfast for a fair amount of time. I guess long enough for me to wonder where the staff were. Not even a complaint just an observation.

Everything.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Ideal position in the centre of town
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

The hotel doesn't have a lift. We managed the stairs on this occasion, although a little help with luggage would have been nice. Not sure we would manage in a few years' time, so it might be worth the hotel considering putting in a 'dumb waiter' for luggage.

We had travelled to Totnes by train, so a hotel within walking distance to the station and in the centre of town was essential. This was both. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, and breakfast was very good.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

This was the ideal location to stay in Totnes
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

Some bread and cheese on the breakfast bar would have been nice but we did enjoy what was there and felt we had a good breakfast.

All the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. There was good real ale in the bar. The coffee at breakfast was very good, much better than in most hotels.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

Wonderful stay and right on the spot to explore Totnes
    • Standard Double/Twin Room

Restaurant food could be improved, more choice. Atmosphere like a pub.

Quiet rooms, great location to Totnes, nice hot shower, very friendly and helpful staff

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

Great location. Good staff. De luxe room not worth the money. Worst night's sleep for years!
    • Deluxe Double Room

Chaotic car parking. Ticking clock in bedroom. Bedroom exceedingly hot - impossible to open windows. Tiramisu inedible. Fourposter beds pointless if mattress too soft and bed too narrow - swap it for a king size modern one!

Helpfulness of staff.