Reviews of Rutland Guest House 4 stars

17 Grosvenor Crescent,St.Leonards On Sea, Hastings, TN380AA, United Kingdom

#14 of 30 B&Bs and Inns in Hastings

Shared bathroom but that was fine for a one night stay and the website was clear about this. Made it very affordable. Sadly my lovely nights sleep was ruined by a horrific snorer in the room next to me, but nothing much to be done about that 😟. Would have been a lovely quiet room overlooking the garden. Otherwise no criticisms and would definitely stay again if in the area.

Location lovely just across from beach. Free parking all along the sea front opposite so no problem there. Excellent choice of breakfast and everything especially the bacon and sausage really nice quality. Friendly, helpful staff. Range of pubs and places to eat nearby.

Shower was not fit for purpose. My wife couldn't even use it to wash properly, let alone wash her hair.

Great location, particularly if you're there to do the Hastings parkrun as it's only 2 minutes walk away from the start/finish!

The signal on TV but that's not the end of the world

The whole property was clean, smelled lovely. The owners catered for my 2 year old and where so kind even providing her with a plastic cup, plate and kids knife and folk. Breakfast was amazing and such kind and Welcoming people.

• Small Family Room

I like a large bed, our room had a small double and a single the small double was too small but comfortable enough. The shower cubicle was small and the bathroom was internal so very dark. Both things perfectly serviceable but I would ask for a larger bed and a bigger bathroom if I stayed again.

The cooked breakfast was delicious, cooked specifically to our order and the gentleman serving was very friendly and laid back. We were lucky enough to park directly outside on the main road as someone pulled out as we approached, this could be a challenge at busy times.

My phone wouldn't work I am with EE so maybe their problem not the guest house

Lovely welcome excilent room very clean bathroom also all round very very good

Rutland BnB has a Single clean and comfortable room that's bigger than many I've stayed in. It is conveniently placed for beach (opposite) and public transport links, a TK Maxx and eateries in nice part of this coastline. It's run efficiently and kindly by a good, helpful couple who are knowledgeable about the locality that's near but not too near Hastings town which is a lovely healthy walk along the seafront.

Nothing to dislike.

Very friendly owners and very nice bedroom with an excellent breakfast. Easy parking nearby for cars and good bus route around the area.

The back garden was not accessable, it would have been nice to sit out with a glas of somsomething after a busy day exploring.

Close to amenities easy to be reached by train or bus.

I personally would have preferred an en-suite bathroom instead of the need to share one, but this was a minor inconvenience considering what I paid and I knew in advance what to expect.

There was much choice on the breakfast menu and anything I asked for was never any trouble. Their cooked food was first class and staff didn't mind me asking for any extras. A choice of hot drinks in the room was a plus too.

• Small Family Room

Great location, a decent sized room with comfy beds. Everything was clean and Angie was very friendly. We had a great recommendation for a restaurant nearby (La Bella Vista) which was fantastic. We didn't take advantage of breakfast as we were so full from the night before. Check in and Check out was easy and no fuss. Would revisit if I'm ever back in the area!

Quite happy with everything.

Friendly greeting. Shown directly to our room. Given helpful information about the area and events of the long weekend. The room had everything we needed. Breakfast was tasty and served in a very lovely room.

Spotlessly clean bedroom and en-suite bathroom with beautiful sea view. Comfortable bed, quality toiletries and a well-stocked hospitality tray. Delightful host and hostess who couldn't do enough to make you feel at home, and breakfast offered many choices, including suitable food for vegetarians, and a local secret speciality ... well worth trying! Many people have reservations about staying in a seaside bed and breakfast because of how they appear in television programmes ... but Rutland Guest House is absolute proof that a well-run family bed and breakfast can make you enjoy your stay to the full, and make you want to return! Thank you Angie and Kevin for a delightful visit.

It was a shock having a shared bathroom!...that will teach me to pay attention when booking things in future!

Bed very comfortable. ..lovely old building breakfast excellent

Never sure about B&B that 'welcome' pets as my partner has extreme allergy to domestic animals

Breakfast was great and the owners were very attentive and helpful

There was nothing to dislike!

The bed was so comfy, had a gorgeous sea view to wake up to every morning. Best breakfast I've had in a B&B. Hosts were very welcoming,friendly and very accommodating of dietary requirements. Would definitely stay here again.

The room was compact, which was fine for me on this occasion. The sink was small which made it difficult to fill the kettle other than by using a small bottle which I had with me. The kettle was quite low powered and took some time to boil. However, these are minor complaints. Free parking was advertised, but this was in the road outside or on the coastal road opposite through a small park.

Friendly hosts, a clean room with all the basic toiletries, etc, and an ample very good breakfast. There was a pub, a restaurant and shops nearby.

Rutland really went out of their way to make our stay comfortable and allowed us to come back and shower after the half marathon which was a great bonus

• Small Family Room

I recently spent a night at Rutland Guest house with my daughter on a weekend trip to Hastings. We had originally made plans to visit in the autumn but an unexpected family emergency meant we had to cancel our booking at the very last moment. However, the hosts were so understanding (giving us a full refund etc) that we didn't think twice about where to stay when re-booking our trip. Our room had everything we needed and breakfast the next morning was lovely. Excellent value for money- would highly recommend.

I wouldnt have changed anything .

Beds were really comfortable ,staff were very pleasant and helpful . The heating was on a little bit high but that was just our preferences .Overall a lovely place to stay ,thank you .

The proprietor, Kevin, and his wife, Angie, were very welcoming and courteous, and always made sure that I had enough to eat for breakfast and that everything was to my satisfaction. Their B&B is in a quiet location, very near to the seafront, to the west of Hastings, but with a good bus service into town and within 10 minutes' walk from West St Leonard's railway station..

Communial bathroom I didn’t mind but would prefer en-suite if not travelling alone.

Great value, friendly staff clean simple room and a great breakfast inclusive.

• Large Family Room

Lovely clean guest house , lovely family room with great sea view. Delicious full English breakfast and owners were very friendly and welcoming will definitely go back again.

• Large Family Room

Parking was a little awkward, but we got lucky with a space outside, and there did appear to be a public car park a short distance up the road

Delicious breakfast. Super friendly proprietors. Lovely location.

Nothing - everything was lovely.

I had been involved in a bad collision on the way down to Hastings and Kevin and Angie were especially lovely and sympathetic. On arrival, and the next day, we had a lovely welcome. My daughter and I had a lovely two days; beautiful room with a sea view, fluffy towels and little luxuries. We took our little dog for no extra charge and will definitely be back! The brrakfast was amazing - thank you Angie and Kevin.

Owners pleasant and helpful when needed. Room more spacious than many singles. There was tea and coffee in room. In my case, the bathroom was outside my room (most are en-suite) but next to it and it was kept very clean. I enjoyed my walk into Hastings along the seafront and there are buses too.

No floor space (or a stand) to open/unpack a suitcase. Didn't want to put it on the bed, so it was a very awkward process.

We liked the choices for breakfast. Convenient location, bus stop and coast were very close. Very clean.

television loses reception in the evening but ok during day. but this is only a minor problem,

awesome breakfast. if you ask to go extra large .this will last you till the evening well worth the money,

Very friendly owners. beautiful clean guest house with a nice hot breakfast. Owners very helpful answering our questions. Would stay here again! No onsite parking but free parking outside and on the sea promenade.

not long enough

have stayed before will definitely stay again. kevin &angie are a lovely couple always happy to help.kevin does the best scrambled eggs,

everything was fine !

Friendly and helpful service with a very good Breakfast catering for everybody's taste !! a bit too far from the town center but ideal for a stroll along the sea front after Dinner !

• Large Family Room

We arrived late afternoon and there was very little parking available on the road outside or on the waterfront. We chanced it in the parking lot down the road next to the pub and didn't receive a parking ticket so all was well. Quite a long walk to the main town... We stayed for bonfire night [excellent and well worth doing!] and had two small children with us. It is about 40 minutes to an hour walk for little legs so bear that in mind... perhaps catch a bus or take a taxi as parking is very restricted in the town for a big event such as this.

Friendly welcome when we arrived and guesthouse was very nicely decorated. Room was clean and comfortable with sea view. Lovely large bathroom and shower had good water pressure and plenty of hot water. Great breakfast in the morning with nice garden view! Very pleasant stay overall.

The bed was a little firm, although this did not detract from the really pleasant stay here. If you are a light sleeper it may be worth some ear plugs as the road running outside is quite busy.

Convenient location to walk along the seafront into Hastings, or as a base to explore the surrounding area. A beautiful house, our room was very large, private & comfortable with an en-suite. Kevin & Angela were friendly & helpful, and the cooked breakfast was delicious!

Location a bit away from centre and walking outside at night was quite intimidating with people sleeping rough in shelters

Very comfy bed and room was clean and tidy

I stayed in room 8 near the back of the house. It was lovely but had an interesting smell. When I stayed apparently the Wi-Fi extender was down so there was very intermittent internet connection and the phone signal was also weak - it was a rather quiet and disconnected evening.

I had a lovely stay at Rutland. The room was comfortable and well equipped, shared bathroom was clean, Angie and Kevin were lovely and the breakfast was quite incredible. Lots of good things about this guesthouse - highly recommended!

Some more leaflets on what to do in the area perhaps and somewhere to dry walking boots, but radiator was on, so not much of an issue.

Good location for evening meals, walking to Hastings pier and local attractions only a short drive away. Road is pretty quiet at night and bed was comfy. Power shower and fluffy towels, we enjoyed our stay.

We experienced no down sides during our stay.

We had a lovely warm welcome from the owners, property was clean, bed was comfortable and we both slept well. Breakfast was delicious with cereal, cooked breakfast, toast, fruit juice all included with lighter options available for those who did not want a cooked breakfast. Would highly recommend to family and friends and would definitely stay there again if we ever have need to stay in the area of Hastings again.

Cooked Breakfast super excellent, Kevin and Angie the proprietors brilliant welcome and personal attention.Kevin even loaned me a waterproof jacket on a rain day.

Im used to orthopaedic mattress and the mattress wasn't very comfortable for me, room was small but thats my fault as i booked single and had to share bathroom

Breakfast was lovely

NOTHING

It was a very welcoming hotel, my dog was no problem, she enjoyed her stay. The breakfast was brill with so much choice. The owners were very friendly.

Would of preferred smoked bacon instead of non smoked.

They were so helpful and accommodating, when my requirements changed during the stay. I was able to move to a bigger room when my son had to stay as well.

Nothing really.

Very comfortable bed in our room which looked out to the sea. Friendly and delicious breakfast served by the owners. Parking in this area was free both on the street and at the waterfront. We got there early and were allowed to leave our luggage before we officially checked in.

• Small Family Room

The breakfast was great! My kids absolutely loved it and they wanted us to visit Hastings again in the future. I thought they were very hospitable.

There was early traffic noise, but it was a Friday morning. Would be better if it was weekend i think

Great sea view, lovely full English. Pleasant helpful staff, went out of their way to assist.

The room was quite small even for a person travelling alone. I would have preferred an ensuite bathroom but that was reflected in the price. I wasn't able to connect with the Wi-Fi.

The owners were very welcoming and the room was comfortable and clean. Breakfast was freshly prepared and very good. Although I had to share a bathroom it was spotless and I didn't have to wait to use it.

Very welcoming owners. Great breakfast. The room was clean and comfortable and the towels were huge. We only needed a bed for the night and Rutland Guest House was perfect.

The stay was just excellent! The place is further from central Hastings, but is in quiet area and the ocean is just across the street! Simply a wonderful place to stay and relax.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Only negative for me was, the bed matresss was a little too firm , also the pillows

The family that run Rutland , are very friendly , and made me feel at home from the moment I arrived . Nice people .Keen to make sure I had everything I needed , and I felt able to relax and chill out in my room , without any disturbance with peaceful surroundings , enabling me to enjoy my weekend away .. very pleased by the cost of my room cheaper than other B&B's in the area . Would definitely book again

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Wasn't clear from room description that bathroom wasn't ensuite. Wifi was patchy and mattress too soft

Friendly hosts, clean room and good breakfast

• Small Family Room

Our fault ... but too far away from hastings we didnt realise. So our fault totally

Very very clean. Thw couple that run it are very friendly. Lovely stay

The bed was very comfortable, lovely warm hosts and professional; enjoyed the cooked breakfast - very nice. I would recommend definitely. Nice warm and welcoming atmosphere too. If you have any concerns during your stay- they rectify it ASAP for you. The teas and cookies was a lovely touch too (esp their homely mugs -makes a nice touch). Loved their room service and proximity to the sea Pat (Midwife)

I had a problem with the internet. At first, it was very slow but then I couldn't get on.

The room was pleasant and it had a lovely view of the back garden. The bed was clean and comfortable. There were plenty of tea and coffee making facilities.

Parking was a little difficult (can imagine it would be more of a challenge in high season). However wouldn't put me off staying again.

Really friendly welcome by friendly and accommodating hosts. We arrived an hour early but were let in without question. Very comfortable atmosphere. Sea view. Comfy and clean beds. TV with DVD option helpful for kids. Good breakfast. Perfect location for us with the park and sea just over the road.

• Small Family Room

The room was a bit cold for my liking cos the heating wasn't coming on although we set it on the highest temperature. Wifi has got very poor reception. Would prefer better quality of bed linen as I couldn't sleep in them 1st night of stay at all as they felt a bit itchy on my skin. My family slept well. Duvet they use is very heavy but due to the cold room was useful.

Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Breakfasts were tasty. Property is just across the road from the sea.

Not having a bathroom in the single room was awkward, but the communal one was lovely and clean, spacious etc, so not really a problem.

The owners were really welcoming and happy to help.

Nothing! All great!

Friendly welcome and accommodating owners as we brought our dog and they were great with sorting out breakfast to have in the room as dogs are not allowed in the dining room.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

• Large Family Room

Excellent hosts, friendly, helpful and extremely hospitable. Rooms immaculately clean and comfy. The sea was across the road. What more can you ask for? We highly recommend this b&b!

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

Shaving basin, in room, not suitable for shaving - much too small. Difficult also to fill kettle from such a small sink. The biscuits and bottle of fresh water more than compensated.

Comfortable bed and pillows and the room was warm. The shower, next door, was perfect in terms of hot water. Breakfast was exactly to my liking, especially the poached eggs. also the porridge. Would have liked some fruit eg raspberries, blueberries etc, with the porridge.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

There could have been a bit more fresh fruit to choose from at breakfast.

Our hosts were very welcoming and we had a good cooked breakfast. The B and B was close to a friendly pub with good value home cooked food where we enjoyed an evening meal. Free parking was available a short walk away. We would definitely return here if we were visiting nearby again.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

Next door woke me up at 3am entering their room. When I mentioned it the next day to the owner, I was left with the impression that he did not believe me.

Breakfast and room very nice.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Kevin, the owner is so warm and friendly. We felt like house guests. I also loved that we had proper mugs in our room, rather than piddly little cups.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

The room was rather small and dated and smelt very strongly of bleach it was quite noisy as it faced the main road. The bed was set in a frame and not very comfortable at all.

The hosts were friendly and the breakfast was ok

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

n/a

very good breakfast will keep you going til dinner time. they leave a bottle of spring water which is handy if you need to take medicine,very nice couple always willing to help you. value for money,

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

There is nothing to find fault with

It was the most comfortable,clean and cosy accomadation we have experienced for a very long time. The owners are delightful, friendly and very welcoming. The bed was divinely comfortable, the view from the bedroom lovely ( even in a storm!). The breakfast was delicious and beautifully cooked. Believe me, my husband and I are fussy!. We could not find any thing negative to say.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

Requires some walking or driving for evening program / dinner (however, 1 pub next door)

Right across the street is the beach front. Clean rooms, friendly hosts and breakfast with quite some choice. Easy to find and access by car

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

• Small Family Room

The coffee wasn't great but I'm particularly fussy as I've been living in Italy for years.

Kevin and Angie are fabulous hosts. Lovely, clean room with a sea view. Excellent breakfast!

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Small Family Room

Road outside a bit busy.

The room was spacious with a double and single bed. The room was warm.The bathroom was separate. Friendly service. Nice breakfast. Good location near the beach and transport links. Lots of parking on the road nearby and opposite near the beach.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Just a shame that there was an inconsiderate guest who decided to be very noisy at 2am and onwards. This was by no way the owners fault and they were very upset to hear that the news that my sleep had been disturbed.

Breakfast was lovely, and room was great with a lovely view, bed was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

The room was lovely. Although we were two flights of stairs up and the view was a brick wall. we were very happy as we only wanted a room and breakfast and both were excellent.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

We had an atic room with a sloping roof,there was a wash basin in the bedroom as the bathroom was to small for a mirror and shelf, also there was no mirror near a plug for drying your hair

It was very clean and the breakfast was good

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Excellent breakfast included in the price. Owner very friendly and helpful. Location is good to visit Battle Abbey, the Battle of Hastings historic site.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• Large Family Room

Just thought it was a bit noisy early in the morning, the sound of traffic was a bit loud,,but we did have our Windows open all night.

Nice location, room was clean, beds comfortable

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

The place is well located. Across the street from the sea, minutes from train and bus stations. Offer in house breakfast to your liking every morning and not pushy about it. Very helpful with directions and information

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

Even though they advertise spacious rooms with a sea view or garden view. We had a very pokey room on the top floor with half the room taken up by a sloping roof and we looked out onto a neighbours window, which needed painting.

This is a very clean and well decorated house with very friendly, helpful people in a pleasant situation. Breakfast super.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

Little overpriced at £75 per night I thought, but as only stayed one night didn't mind so much. Parking along Rd was a bit hit and miss

Lovely clean room with great view and comfy bed

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

I forgot to ask for hair drier so maybe better to leave one in each drawer

Very peaceful l couldn't believe how quiet it was though it was full. Nice easy and hot shower ah lovely