Reviews of Sanderson 5 stars

50 Berners Street, Westminster Borough, London, W1T 3NG, United Kingdom

#77 of 977 hotels in London

The staff were hit and miss. Some were fabulous and some were rude and disinterested. The rooms were tired and shabby looking and were overpriced for what they were. The hotel overall was hugely disappointing and I would not return. We paid for an upgrade and I’m not entirely sure what extra I got for the cost of the upgrade. In essence it is an over priced shabby hotel with mixed service quality and the only thing that is positive is the location. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone! I feel shortchanged and to top it off it was my 40th Birthday.

The hotel was in a great location for our evening event at the Ivy Soho Brasserie

I booked with a bath and don’t have, small room without a hot water and a tea, for the value of 319.00 without breakfast and in a very small room and without any grace. I do not recommend

the reception is beautiful

I love everything about this hotel. If Sanderson would like to go above and beyond I would recommend to equip the rooms with Humidifiers or Air Purifiers. London weather can sometime be really sticky and pollution is everywhere...

The bed is super comfortable. Internet is really fast. Gym is great. And no carpets <3 This is my second time in the Hotel and I can already promise a third !

• Loft Double Room with Terrace

Others kept connecting to the rooms Bluetooth so at 4am multiple times music started blasting out . Had request for tea making facilities , better if standard .

There was building works in th3 afternoon and morning. Not sure where from so don't know whether this was in the hotels control or not.

Lovely room. Great staff.

I didn’t like the feeling of the staff running around after me with a card machine wanting up front payment everywhere I turned. It’s far more discreet in other hotels I’ve stayed in.

Really comfy bed

• Deluxe Double Room

Extremely noisy hotel, especially with the club on the ground floor - don't book the Sanderson if you are planning to have any sleep. Week or weekend day, the hard music and the loud crowd is always present!

• Deluxe Double Room

Issues with the steamroom for a while during my stay, but this was made up for with the awesome bath in the room.

Spacious room with a bias towards curtains everywhere. Location is extremely central - easy to get around for shopping and just traveling around town. Very accommodative staff - immediately suggested a room change in line with specific requirements. Long bar looked like fun.

The staff woke me up in the middle of the night to deliver food I had not ordered. When I advised the order was not mine, the staff were incredibly rude to me and would not believe me.

The manager wasn’t very accommodating or understanding considering we were there for a wedding and it was a special time for us. Very poor customer service from him.

The lovely spa

The only downside was the lack of a swimming pool which disappointed my 10 year old!

The staff were so friendly and helpful. Cocktails were fab and the overall experience was exceptional.

Disappointed to realise upon entry that the room did not have a bath. The room was far too hot and we were not able to cool the room with the in room thermostat. As a result a terrible nights sleep was had.

Location of the property was good. Room was modern and clean.

They had lots of things with seals on we needed a charger and was too scared to use it just incase we got charged for it

We had Champagne and cake for my partners birthday

No faults! Will be returning

Everything was perfect, the doorman was so helpful and friendly to the reception staff. Location was near Oxford street walking distance to shops, restaurants and bars, room was very clean and was very pleased.

The room was pretty dark People shouting inside and outside the hotel whilst trying to sleep

Good location Good facilities in the hotel. Perfect location Room was spacious and clean

The staff were extremely helpful and accommodating. We were upgraded to a superior room as it was my husbands 40th which was a lovely touch. We eat at the Sanderson and the food was absolutely out of this world. We also used the Spa for massages. The Sanderson is a fantastic hotel and was an experience for us. We loved our stay.

Great hotel, lovely big room, nice bar area, staff were amazing. I took ill whilst at the hotel and they were extremely accommodating to allow me to check out late (at no extra charge) and made sure we had drinks in the room.

It’s immaculate, beautiful, conveniently located but off the busy streets, great attention to detail, very comfortable and the staff is welcoming and helpful!

The bathroom floor wasn't clean enough and the room was a bit noisy with AC not running smoothly. Some Staff members, although friendly, don't follow up on requests or get back to you with answers which is a shame.

Great Protein Pancakes and food in general :) and some staff members tried to make the experience better for me which is very much appreciated. Super friendly and helpful concierge service in a great location in London.

Exclude the eggs from vegetarian breakfast

Nice and pretty room, very friendly staff, very good location, and prices are not so high as very high quality of service

Poor service at the bar. Poor facilities in the rooms e.g. No tea and coffee, these had to be requested. Design was too minimalist with nowhere to put our things. Not a welcoming room, quite cold.

The bar area was stylish. Comfortable bed and bedding. The big mirror in the bedroom was good.

The shower handle and basin tap is poorly designed (no grip). When you have wet hands it's difficult to turn. There is no other negative point I could add as it's a very nice hotel.

The Sanderson is one of my favourite places in London. Ive stayed here 5 times now. The decor is modern with quirky furniture in the reception. Customer service is excellent however could definitely improve during the night as often it takes a while to get through to reception/concierge. Drinks are great from a varied choice of cocktails to a Harney & Sons tea for breakfast or afternoon tea! And the other thing I love about this hotel is the smell! You'll know what I mean when you visit. This isn't just a hotel, it's a trendy bar and has a small courtyard where you can have afternoon tea and cakes.

I have stayed at the Sanderson on a number of occasions but on this occasion the cleanliness was not the same as usual. Also there was an administration error where the details of another guest where shown on the TV in the room. Having said that when I spoke to the hotel they acted upon my feedback straight away which shows their professionalism!!! I would still stay at the Sanderson as it is a good hotel at a great location!

The staff are always friendly and professional. Also the location is perfect as it is right at the centre of London and ideal for walking to shops and restaurants. The Long Bar is AMAZING and the breakfast is super scrumptious!

Could use better concierge services.

Love the food! Great room service!!! Coolest elevators ever! Fantastic value! Wonderful location. Would def recommend and would stay again! Friendly, informal unpretentious staff makes you feel right at home. Xoxox

The shower was broke and flooding the whole bathroom. We called reception but they didnt fix it until the day we left. They made us a discount for that, which we appreciated. Poor breakfast for 19 pounds/person. The furniture in the room and in the bathroom is very old. Windows room didnt open.

Good location, close to shopping area. The staff was nice. Great mojito in the purple bar made by Marta.

The restaurant...

First and foremost the service at the front desk. Extremely kind and helpful - the young lady understood this was an important family event and went out of her way to be helpful and make our stay as sparkly and special as possible. lighting & bathrooms a highlight in the rooms -- luxurious and comfortable stay. A trip we'll remember...

• Deluxe Double Room

I think that tea and coffee facilities should be included in the room without having to request it.

Most of the staff were exceptional. The atmosphere at the Long Bar is great.

Very odd shower design. Towels too far away from shower but nowhere to hang them closer. No sink plug for shaving etc. Room very dark even with all the lamps on. Turn-down service, but no chocolate - very sad.

Bar and restaurant fabulously designed. High fashion.

lighting in our private restaurant booth was a little subdued.

dinner was served to a very high standard even though we arrived back fro the theatre at a very late hour. service and quality of the food was excellent.

Room facilities poor! Bathroom behind a curtain. No tea/coffee facilities in room. I have been fortunate enough to have stayed at the Berkeley/ Shard and Royal Horseguards to name a few. I don’t think Sanderson is a 5* hotel in comparison.

Very busy bar and several events going on meaning that music lasted till 1am and then lots of loud guests going back to rooms till early hours. Did feel a little bit looked down upon as young couple and previously stayed with my mum and was given excellent service above and beyond which wasn’t reflected when young couple.

The room was incredible and was upgraded to a slightly larger room than originally booked. Beautiful hotel, stayed before and will stay again.

Well, the cafe/restaurant was beyond terrible. Service took an age and when items did arrive they were somewhat substandard. Food arrived before drinks on the first morning, I’m all for chilled service but when you are in Central London and have places to be, I don’t have time to wait for coffee and breakfast!! Just a general bad experience on both mornings, table left full of dirty side plates from buffet on 2 separate visits from staff. One waiter tried to bring us someone else’s Baked Eggs 3 Times. It is not obvious that you should ask for baked beans with the full English, although you won’t feel full after eating it. £18!!! Sausages were not impressive, bacon chewy and eggs wrong on one of our orders. Ordered an Americano with cream, received warm milk. Friends had to ask for cold milk with tea. Surely there was room on the tray?! Tea served nicely in pots, which we appreciate although one time the bag had burst so we asked for a new tea cup 3 times but requests were slow to be fulfilled. Now you will ask why I didn’t speak up, and granted I had a few occasions. Sadly I was asked by the rest of our party not to complain, although they all moaned too, I expected so much more from The Sanderson. Service was just slow and non productive. Clear tables as you go, bring cold milk with tea!! Such a ridiculous request to have to make twice in 1 visit. The reception staff were beyond attentive, the lovely chaps out front who parked our car. I would be hard pushed to not stay here again, the room and other parts were amazing. But I would rather walk to a local coffee shop or find a cafe than waste any more time and money in the restaurant of The Sanderson.

Eclectic decor, fantastic lobby. Just a really cool place to stay. Nice big bed and plenty of space in the room.

The breakfast was good, but I would prefer a buffet. There is a lot of noice in the lobby because of the trendy hotel.

The staff was excellent! Very kind, they upgraded me... I would certainly come back because of the feeling being welcome.

No door staff on to help you with luggage and pram, to hold the door- I expect this in 5 star so first impressions wasn’t wow.

Rooms were a decent size to say we booked the smallest one available, bed comfy, peaceful and bathroom nice!

• Deluxe Double Room

Construction works on the other side of the street can be a bit noisy in the morning.

Exceptionally good staff from concierge to reception and room service. The room is very stylish and has the best hotel bed I tried so far. Super clean and very comfy room which has everything in it. This time I tried in-room message service which was really good as well.

Tough to have to call room service and pay for a cup of tea/coffee. It would have been much better to have these facilities in the room.

The room was excellent, mid-sized room for London but felt spacious at the same time - the layout was very clever. We ordered room service and it was quick and the food hot. The staff were really lovely, chatty and informative.

The bathroom was ok but not at the level expected: the floor seemed dirty when it was actually just the motives on the tiles; the lighting was poor; the mirror was not in front of the sink and the way the tap and sink were positionned on the piece of furniture made it unavoidable to put water everywhere on the walls and floor. Lastly, I don't understand why some hotels still use taps with cold and hot buttons when mixer taps are so much more convenient.

Everyone from my arrival until check-out was great, friendly and helpful. I appreciated the welcome at the door. The room was big and the bed comfortable. I did not try breakfast but heard only good things about the restaurant.

Room wasn't the one we see on booking.com

Bar was very good. Had evening meal but we'd been seated outside whilst inside space available? Very chilly outside.

• Deluxe Double Room

Maybe somewhere other than the floor to put your soap in the shower and chair plug and mirror would of been helpful to straighten my hair

Staff were so attentive and we were lucky to get an upgrade too loved the purple bar and Long bar and better check out being 12 o'clock

Only one Lift so often spent 5 minutes waiting to go up or down. Rooms very tiny and too hot. No bath. Staff at check in not helpful. Very average hotel for the price.

Cool bar down stairs.

It was perfect.

What I especially liked in how dark the room was on entry, it was extremely cosy and welcoming. I loved the shower and the bed was super soft and inviting. We were upgraded on arrival and really this should be where we always stay when in London.

Noisey neighbour but comfortable hotel in a great location. Aussie staff were delightful. Spa facility great for post-checkout change and refresh if travelling later in the day.

• Deluxe Double Room

non, everything was super great!

Everything! stuff are friendly, room is clean. We were there for our honey moon, and the room was prepared with a bottle of champagne and a nice cake. It was really greatttt stay here!!

The venue is amazing and the staff were helpful, pulling out all the stops to help me with some last minute issues. I have never been disappointed with any of the hotels from the Morgan’s group

Shower was below par. Long Bar still rammed with hookers. Expensive good evening etc

Large room and bed, location. Very helpful staff. Great drinks in the bar.

We had a king terrace room/suite which was beautiful however there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room, I had to call house keeping to request them after I saw a small note in the brochure in the room - I had already paid room service for tea and coffee to be bought to the room the first morning as I hadn't seen the note to call house keeping. Tea and coffee facilities should be standard in a room of this calibre! Additionally and taking into account we had a top room at the hotel ( Expensive ) one would appreciate a few little extras i.e. bottle of wine, chocolates etc in the room!

Location was excellent, staff were very friendly, our king terrace room was super!

• Loft Double Room with Terrace

the location is poor in regards to people sleeping on the street around the hotel (not the hotels fault but still an issue)- - - this was my 3rd visit to the hotel & with each visit the place is getting worse the room (I had a suite with a balcony) was not 100% cleaned the shower poor water strength overall would not choose to stay at this hotel again very average at best

the bed was excellent - - the staff all friendly & helpful

The hotel has an excellent bar, The Long Bar, that comes alive at the weekend. The Garden Restaurant is also in high demand. Finally, it has pretty good fitness centre and spa!

this was my second time staying with them..... probably because the hotel was full i was given a room on first floor and i kind of had to walk a bit to reach it .... going to the spa and taking some other doors... the room itself was really nice but the bathroom had a leaking problem each time i took a shower there would be water building up and wasn't going away the bulb light in the bathroom was not turning off just dimming down... i did let the reception know when i checked out it was not such a big issue cause i was out partying most of the time but i`m hoping for a better room next time! :)

super cool staff fast internet amazing bar! excellent location!

• Deluxe Double Room

Only 2 electrical plugs in a massive room! No where in the shower to put soap or shampoo ! No tea & coffee facilities - would expect a Nespresso coffee machine in a hotel of this standard

the whole experience

This must have been an office building at one time. The conversion wasn't very good and the building is very ugly.

The rooms are very spacious especially for London.

No complaints whatsoever, aside from the price of bar drinks......

Excellent customer service from the very smart (and young) staff. Bed very comfortable, room more than ample although a little Stark (sic). Loved the indoor garden.

Cleaness where carpets looked old+ you have to pay for everything in the room, concierge staff are only 4! And we had to wait 15min to be handled with.

Location , room size, food

Silly thing the shower was beautiful but for some reason it was positioned such that you felt squeezed against the glass wall when on or the only other position meant the water aimed straight at edge of door causing a big puddle on bathroom floor

Funky hotel, staff were relaxed in their approach but didn't disctract from their duties which were carried out efficiently and effectively. Very lively atmosphere but places to move away from this if wanted. Spa was a great experience and good value. Had a small issue with a window blind and only mentioned to reception as we left for their attention, apology was immediate and without any prompt the cost of bottle of wine on our mini bar bill was removed, simple but very much appreciated.

The first day we arrived we went to reception to check in and was greeted by Gemma, the service we received from her was not great she didn't make any conversation and we didn't feel very welcome. She then continued to take a card payment and didn't state the amount which was being taken and didn't inform us of our room upgrade or even mention the fact it was his birthday which I made fully aware it was and it wasn't acknowledged. From previous experiences at the Sanderson we have always had the most welcoming greetings from everyone behind receoption to the bar staff but we didn't feel that the customer service was good from her and that really let us down.

I came back to the Sanderson as my previous experience with them was fantastic! I took my boyfriend as a suprise and they upgraded our room and brought a cake up for him which was a great personal touch and he loved it! The staff are lovely and the room and atmosphere in the hotel are great!

i would have liked to have more vegetarian/vegan options in the menu

super amazing staff! everyone working at this hotel are literally amazing outgoing and so much fun! i was greeted by 2 beautiful girls at the reception a blonde and a brunette they were so nice and friendly they helped with with anything i needed i really felt my pampered as a king for my entire trip i also want to congratulate the staff from the restaurant area they were super fun as well especially a brunette gentleman in a fancy suit i can't remember his name sadly. The bar area is EXCELLENT always busy with young outgoing mixed people fast wifi clean rooms very modern hotel this is going to be my home in London from now on! +10 definitely worth every penny!

Form over function, some of the style seems to be for the sake of it rather than because its a great syle decision. Don't go to the cocktail bar and order before looking at the menu and prices!

Great breakfast, given as an upgrade :)

Unique, stunning, divine boutique style hotel. The staff were helpful, professional, friendly. The room was divine. Very simplistic but luxurious in details. The bathroom a dream. The bar downstairs at the side of the Lobby was a hotspot. The barmen friendly, helpful and the cocktails awesome. Great location. Close to Oxford Street. Lovely cafes and pubs just around the corner. We will definitely be back.

• Deluxe Double Room

It's quite a walk from any tube station if you have suitcases. The nearest tube stations are probably Goodge St, Tottenham Court Road or Oxford Circus, but all of them are probably 15 mins walk away. None of them are on the Piccadilly Line either, so coming from the airport you need to change lines (or use Piccadilly Circus which is probably 20 mins walk)

Very stylish designer hotel in a great area of London (Fitzrovia). It's on Berners Street and very close to Wardour Street with many bars, restaurants and cafes. The outside of the hotel looks a bit run down like a 1970s office block, but the rooms inside are large and stylish. The staff are young and hip, and very welcoming. Very highly recommended

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Check-in and wait for our room were the only negatives but the manager compensated us with free cocktails so we were happy!

The hotel'central location and stylish atmosphere were excellent. Rooms were spotlessly clean and very comfortable beds.

• Deluxe Double Room

Comfortable bed (more so than many other hotels). Great location. Artisan coffee just around the corner. Plenty of places in walking distance for brunch on the weekends. Staff at front desk super friendly. Studio very spacious for a central London hotel.

Poor service at the Long Bar. Being a popular place one expected service with a smile. It was completely missing and so was good body language, eye contact or attention. Everyone has an attitude.

Fresh appeal. Modern with an urban chic touch. Nice size rooms. Friendly staff at the door, concierge and reception especially Paris and Ruth.

• Loft Double Room with Terrace

just a fantastic experience from the moment of checking in we just laughed and enjoyed our selves the cocktails where out of this world staff so friendly and made us feel at ease not too stuffy etc, room was amazing the views from the terrace ,size of room and bathroom just brilliant late night bar was good really funky place . really enjoyed it

Outstanding service. Very friendly and helpful. Standard room is a good size, especially for London. I really liked the modern design although that might not be for everyone.

The staff were lovely from the minute we arrived. The room was gorgeous and we were upgraded which was great. This in addition to a bottle of champagne, a cake and a Birthday Message in our room made it a amazing stay from start to finish.

To be honest we check in my partner and I We had the 1st and best checking ever cause the lady at the front desk was full of energy, happy and lovely Just for her and the good service and Tulane over there we will come back

only that we could have stayed longer!!

Every single second, the hotel was beautiful all the staff were lovely and really went out of their way to make my birthday trip the best it could be.. couldn't recommend more

Nothing - hotel was faultless!

Amazing aroma on entering and given a fantastic welcome. I felt very special and received a complimentary bottle of champagne. I will definitely stay at this property in the future. A real treat.

The whole experience of staying at the Sanderson is outstanding. Not the cheapest but certainly up there with the best ... and after all ..... you get what you pay for!

Great location with very helpful staff. Very comfortable room with all amenities such as tea and coffee in room on request. Great gym and spa. We had a afternoon flight and were given a 1pm check out. Nice lobby to meet people.

Everyone is extremely welcoming and eager to please from the moment you arrive. The hotel has a great location close to many shopping streets. Excellent bar area with a trendy vibe, great breakfast in terms of quality even for a limited diversity. Rooms are clean, modern and very comfortable. Service overall is very good. Would come back

There was a fire alert during my stay and a call to evacuate the hotel. Many of us got up from bed to do so. Staff assistance and fire signing was poor and I suspect not to requirements. We had no information that we could return to the hotel after what proved a false alert. I was offered a discount on food but not accommodation when I pointed this out.

Location was good, hotel staff friendly.

Bathrooms were extremely dirty and unclean it seems that the house cleaning staff are not doing their job or the management is not keeping a tab on the flew knees of the rooms! The first bedroom on the 5th floor where I stayed first. Night was extremely noisy ! Very poor experience.

Clearer info re NCP car park - it was very expensive & would've been cheaper if we had booked ahead but we assumed the hotel would get a reduced rate.

The staff were exceptionally helpful & welcoming, some of the best we have come across in many years of travelling 👍

I think the hotel needs new double glazing. Was kept awake by noisy people outside late at night/early hours. And woken very early by workmen working on adjacent property so didn't get much sleep!

Staff and cleanliness excellent.

Browse Sanderson traveller photo gallery