Reviews of Saxonville Hotel 3 stars

Ladysmith Avenue, Whitby, YO21 3HX, United Kingdom

#7 of 15 hotels in Whitby

Too hot in the bedrooms

Although a little out the way it only takes 10 minutes to walk down to the center. Hotel also has its own car park which is very handy as Whitby is not easy to park. Hotel very clean. Staff lovely. Food excellent and rooms ok and very clean.

Lovely stay in an ideal location for exploring Whitby. Nothing flashy but it had everything we needed. Staff really helpful, room clean, great breakfast - all for a good price.

The price

Very old fashioned hotel - like an old people"s home but it was comfortable and the staff was nice. Over priced however - very over priced

Traditional-style seaside hotel, 2 mins walk from the cliffs, 10 mins walk into town. Nice quiet street, secure parking in gated car-park opposite. Mine was a small single room, perfectly adequate for a one-night stay. Cooked breakfast was superb, set me up for the day reet good & proper!

Room spotlessly clean, staff excellent, friendly and helpful, restaurant food extremely good with an excellent menu each day. Restaurant staff very attentive and professional

Room on top floor and on arrival all the windows were closed and the heat was unbearable. The heat tended to rise up the staircase and although no one seemed to look very busy they had not considered guest comfort at all. When I mentioned this the receptionist didn’t take it very seriously. One waitress in particular was making many mistakes with service and the manager constantly having to put things right. We’re not that particular and everyone has to learn but she looked grumpy and never had a smile on her face. We felt very uncomfortable.

Good level of cleanliness throughout. Good food. One member of staff (restaurant manager I think) excellent and very friendly and helpful. Also the waitress (Asian lady) was lovely and always smiling.

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

Parking can be a problem. No sea view, although seafront is a 2 minute walk away.

Friendly staff. Lovely (4 poster) room. Excellent breakfast. Very clean.

I was put in a single room overlooking a scruffy back yard and above the kitchen. VERY noisy early morning and terrible wafts of smell. No facilities for smokers. I appreciate no smoking in the hotel, but there was no covered area for smokers to use in bad weather. Had to smoke on the street at the front of the hotel, where there was an ashtray. No seating area to sit out in the day/evening on a nice dry day. As an extra I ordered an evening meal, which was very good. I didn't fancy the choices so I ordered a steak at an extra cost of £7. I asked what the vegetables were and the waiter told me new potatoes or I could have chips. Thinking it was either or, I ordered chips, only to find that when I paid my bill I had been charged £3 extra for the chips. NOT only did I pay £21 for the meal, but paid an extra £10 because I wanted steak and chips, NOT happy with the chips extra cost. When I checked in I wasn't asked if I wanted to use WiFi. I had to ask the waiter what the password was at my evening meal. Receptionist never mentioned it.

The room was very nice. Good and clean, can't complain about this. Overall the hotel was very good, apart from what I stated previously. The grey haired lady who served me in the restaurant for my evening meal was lovely.

• Deluxe Twin Room

The hotel room was lovely,spacious & clean,I only ate breakfast there but it was first class,great food & the staff couldn’t do enough for you.The secure parking was a big plus as well,it’s a decent walk to the town centre but a nice walk if the weather’s decent,would (& have) recommended this hotel to family & friends.

Needed up dating. Felt I was staying in an old people’s home, very outdated The rooms only view was the roof below, very hot and cramped. The tv kept buffering, which wasn’t a real problem, hadn’t gone to sit in the room watching telly, however did want to catch up on the news.

Too warm, central heating still on in hotel (can turn off in the room though). Struggled to park on second day of stay.

Great rooms, excellent staff and superb breakfast.

Breakfast /cleanliness /there was a bar friendly staff and lots morr

First class breakfast and staff were very nice just one minor point staff standing a bit close we were having breakfast

No lift. No offer of assistance - given that 2 people were unable to manage their luggage alone. Rooms were supposed to be non smoking. However the odour in one was really offensive - the occupant had to keep the window open all night. Staff acknowledged that there had been an issue.

Helpful reception staff moved a car so we could park.

Parking charge should be explained upfront. This is the first time I've been charged for parking in Whitby. This is a pricey hotel for what you get. Better deals in Whitby can be had.

This is an old school hotel, which is fine. Just all feels a bit dated. Not seen a bathroom suite like this since I was a child. And that wasn't yesterday. Breakfast though was absolutely superb. Best smoked kipper I've had, and yes, I have stayed in Arbroath. Waitress service too was a friendly experience.

Decor was well old-fashioned, but whatevs - we all have different tastes. I would have preferred a self-service breakfast to having my order taken.

Bed was lovely and comfy, and my en-suite bathroom had a bath! Room had a kettle.

Nothing to mention here

Warm welcome.very clean room.excellent service at breakfast time.and a good location,peaceful surroundings but only a 10 minute walk to centre.

Mattress protector of waterproof non breathable type leading to sweaty night ! VAT added to Booking.com displayed price !!! , never had that before ?

Staff

They could not have been more accommodating for me as a vegan, with vegan margarine, soya milk and vegan sausages provided with breakfast. Also the staff were lovely and the hotel was very clean.

Only possible downside is lack of a lift but staff immediately helped with luggage so it was not an issue. Bathroom loo a bit cramped but perfectly adequate.

First impressions were how friendly and helpful the staff were. We were really made welcome. The building and décor were very well maintained. The food was excellent value with good choice of menu. Being gluten free I had a good choice - much better than expected.

All a bit retro for us; felt like we stepped back in time. They charge a 5 Pound refundable deposit for the key to their car park across the road. They don't want a deposit for my room key, so why ask for one for a 2 Pound per stay car park? We were up on the top floor. Room was too warm and stuffy as the radiators were on full when we arrived. A thankyou for staying would have been nice but we didn't get one. Just a grumpy here is your 5 Pound deposit for car parking back. No safe driving, no nothing at all. Overall a bit pricey for what it is.

Convenient location with (paid) parking. It was a 15min walk into the town centre. Clean and tidy room. Breakfast was promising with silver service & waitress service, but food was just average.

Temperature in the hotel was very high... No elevator.

Nice silverware at the breakfast table. Close to the center. We could park our car in front of the hotel without any cost.

I like everything about this hotel, especially the dining room. The staff are great, the food is great and the cutlery is fantastic, in fact the whole dining experience was superb and I will definitely be back in the future

The shower didn't work very well, only a dribble came out and the shower head could not be held steady pointing anywhere useful. The bath however filled quickly and there was ample hot water, so I've no complaints really.

I spent a relaxing few days over the Easter period. The bed was comfy, the room was clean and nicely appointed. The restaurant was surprisingly good, with a fresh menu each day as well as a decent and inexpensive wine-list. So I ate in every night which is unusual for me. The staff were friendly and helpful. So in spite of the frightful weather I had a good break.

Tv dident work well but wasent really there for the tv so dident bother me

The kippers was the best I had. Partner wants to go back again she loved it so did I not far from town

Liked everything, can,t fault you, please keep doing what you have been doing so well for the past 70 odd years.

The room was much larger than we expected,well equipped and spotlessly clean. The service at Breakfast and Dinner was very good and the food was well cooked and of a high standard. All the staff were so helpful and polite, which was greatly appreciated in a world where standards seem to be slipping away . We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Not much really - the age and style of the building limits the scope to increase (eg) stair widths or room space and, even if they tried to do it, it would affect the character of the hotel.

It's a lovely, traditional hotel with a standard of service and customer care that many hotels seem to be losing - it was refreshing to find that it is alive and flourishing there today.

The hotel is a little dated but the cleanliness and lovely staff made up for this.

The Hotel was lovely, staff fantastic and cleanliness exceptional. I would say this hotel would more suit a mature clientele with its decor and style but you could not fault the hotel for its service and attention to detail. Would definitely recommend and would not hesitate to stay again.

The noise from other residents! Namely the ones above us , they were very loud on the hall way at 2.50 in the morning and in there room till about 5.30/6 am

• Deluxe Double Room

The decor is a bit dated but that's part of it's charm. We asked for ladyboy chasers at the bar but unfortunately they didn't serve them.

Really nice, clean, spacious room with a comfy bed. Friendly staff and a decent breakfast. We were happy with it being a short walk up from town to walk off the fish and chips!

Quiet and relaxing atmosphere in a quiet street, within walking distance to the centre of Whitby. Excellent food and service. Friendly and helpful staff. Warm and cosy in hotel.

Private car park was quite bad, nearly all a mud surface. OK they had had lots of rain but we were treading mud everywhere

Everything within the hotel was good

Poor bar/social life at hotel in evening. No one stayed there for a drink.

The rooms were excellent, showers hot and powerful, and the breakfast was very, very good. The only downside was the poor bar/social life in the hotel in the evening.

The hotel fixtures and decoration are a little dated, but this does not detract for the excellent stay.

It was a very clean and comfortable Hotel, The food was so good we ate in the Hotel every night, which is something we don't normally do. The staff were so pleasant and professional, especially Alison in the restaurant. We will definitely stay here again.

A lovely hotel. Immaculately clean throughout. Great breakfast meal with waiter service. The evening meals were a delight. The staff couldn't do enough for you. A great room, comfy beds, Highly recommended.

• Deluxe Double Room

We were highly delighted with our stay ,we found the hotel was very comfortable,the dining room staff very attentive ,very polite and friendly. We felt the 3 star rating should have been higher, the lovely silver cutlery and all the table accessories from a sadly lost bygone age, we were in room 15 which is a large en suite room which was very spacious with 2 comfortable chairs ,tv etc,. The only fault we could mention is we found the room a little cold compared to the rest of the hotel,l assume this was due to the room being on the corner of the building with 2 outside walls,plus it being very cold outside. On the whole we found your hotel excellent and would not hesitate to book again and to recommend to friends and family.

There was nothing to dislike.

The friendliness and efficiency of the staff. The quality and variety of the food. The cleanliness and décor of the hotel and room.

Bed a bit too firm.

Lovely room and spacious public areas. Location great for walking into town. Breakfast room lovely and bright. Would be a great location for a longer stay - just to chill or to be in a good location for other sight-seeling.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Insufficient hot water to shower. Paid for parking but no spaces available. Breakfast sausages overcooked ( suspect kept warm for too long ).

Silver service breakfast

• Deluxe Double Room

Breakfast was good but would have preferred for a buffet style for cereals etc. Also the heating was switched off on the morning we were checking out which was unacceptable due to it being winter.

Very clean and spacious bedroom.

Can't say there was anything we didn't like.

It was very clean and comfortable. The staff were nice and friendly and very helpful. We had a lovely stay enjoyed every minute.

• Deluxe Twin Room

The downstairs loos were a bit wiffy. No lift which was a bit awkward due to me having a bad knee.

The breakfast and evening dinner were excellent. The staff were fantastic and very friendly. The service was very good. No sooner had we sat down and a member of staff was there to serve us. Alison was particularly attentive and superb.

No WiFi in the room, had to go to the bar to use my tablet. I was looking forward to relaxing there but could not because of the foul language from a group of 3 male guests. I had to go back to my room, no WiFi, which I had been relying on, and the TV did not work either.

Excellent staff good food. I particularly appreciated the vegetarian option at breakfast but not so much the evening option

We had children with us and had requested rooms next to each other. The rooms were on different floors on opposite sides of the building. The shower was intermittently scalding hot/freezing cold and the hotel sounded like it was collapsing when you ran the hot tap.

The hotel was immaculately clean. The cooked breakfast was excellent.

• Deluxe Twin Room

If you have difficulty with stairs avoid the rooms at the top of the Hotel.The central heating goes off at about midnight , but there was added blankets in the wardrobe if needed. .

The Hotel is situated outside the main town, a good 10 minute walk down hill, but a tough uphill walk back. The facilities were good the reception staff were quite welcoming, the room on the top floor was ok ,a converted loft space, the bed comfy and pretty warm when the heating was on.We ate in the restaurant for the evening meal. 3 courses for £20 per head. Good quality food and service. Bar prices not over priced , the breakfast was good , large choice of cereals, fruit, and full English. All in all a decent hotel . .

• Deluxe Twin Room

The reception is a little dated, but don't let that put you off

Room was very nice and very spacious, and was the comfiest mattress I've ever slept on.

Low water pressure in the upper floor bedroom was low, resulting in a disappointing shower. Although the water temperature was very good.

Friendly helpful staff.

There wasn’t anything which I didn’t like.

Breakfast was excellent, staff very helpful and friendly, although still remained professional. Travelled and stayed at hotel on my own, something I haven’t done for many years, made to feel very relaxed and comfortable.

No wifi in my room, but available in the common areas downstairs. Bed was a little hard but I like that, decor dated.

Breakfast was nice and it made a nice change to have waiter service, also the tea came in a pot that kept it fantastically hot and with another pot of water...the good old fashioned way. I had a single room which was a good size and everything was immaculately clean. Bath towels lovely quality. Staff very nice. Car park very convenient and just £2...felt safer leaving my car there.

NA

Everything cleanliness, comfort, breakfast was beautiful and waiter/waitress service, plenty of space in the bedrooms also loads of storage and very friendly.

• Deluxe Twin Room

There was nothing we did not like. Hard to think of any way the provision could be improved. However, the lovely new bath was a little slippy so, although it was well-provided with handles etc, it might have been worth providing a rubber bathmat for extra security.

Spacious, quiet,comfortable room, which seemed to have been very recently refurbished. All décor in both bedroom and dining room was of highest standard of cleanliness and upkeep; nothing in need of repair or attention. Hairdryer and luxury toiletries provided (and even bathrobes and slippers!). Availability of secure car parking at low cost. Fantastic food (with "silver service") delivered with just the right amount of attention- no waiting, but no unnecessary "fuss"- by extremely pleasant and helpful staff. ALL staff we encountered -reception, dining room and cleaning- were very pleasant, efficient and helpful.

• Deluxe Double Room

Access to the bedroom, the stairs are a bit tight to carry your luggage up and down however a small price to pay for an excellent stay

Staff were wonderful, Food was amazing, bedroom was spacious

As I was staying here alone I would have liked to have been a little closer to the station As getting back at night involved either a bus or taxi but as it was my first time to Whitby and a last minite booking I dident pay attention to the exact location as I was part of a large group and all other hotels were booked so I had to pick this hotel.

Very cosy room and very good breakfast especially the kippers

• Deluxe Double Room

Difficult to think of any negative points but larger bath towels and a heated rail to dry them on would be nice - perhaps it's on the list for the refurbishments planned for later this year?

Traditional style, well appointed and maintained. Run by experienced professional staff, many have been with the hotel for many years,testimony to its quality. Food great, best breakfast ever. Relaxing, warm, comfortable and well !located for all Whitby attractions.

The shower lacked power and the water temperature though adequate for me might be regarded as cool by others. However, the bath's hot water tap provided gallons of hot water throughout the day.

The room was very clean and tidy and I found the single bed very comfortable. There were plenty of decent coat hangers in the wardrobe. The accommodation was a single room and the space is more than adequate for the purpose. Tea, coffee and biscuits are provided in the room along with a TV.

could not really fault the place

the breakfast was plentiful it kept us going for most of the day staff very warm and friendly It was spotlessly clean just wished we had said for a evening meal as the food was very good it was handy to have somewhere to park

I have to be honest I do feal that the bathroom could do with an update as not sure who these days have carpet in them also plasstic flimsy toilet seats are a thing of the past to surly, second and can't be helped as pot luck but. when the kitchen was cooking I could smell it in my room if I left the windows open which I did to let fresh air in when out, this being to the fact I was above the kitchen.

The staff were great and really helped with the stay. nice location close to the beach but away from the mian buzz bit of town at night (though hotel next to football ground but away match when I stayed).

• Deluxe Double Room

I would have liked the toiletries to be replaced on a daily basis - we ran out on the last day - Only a minor point as we enjoyed our stay so much. I'm sure this would have been rectified by a short phone call to the desk.

A lovely, clean, family run hotel. You can always tell a quality establishment by the knives and forks they use. The cutlery in the Fairfield Restaurant is ‘made in Sheffield’ – need I say any more? This, coupled with the superb food served up by fantastic staff at both breakfast and dinner made for a truly memorable holiday for us.

We found the drinks to expensive in the hotel

The staff in the breakfast restaurant were excellent and worked very hard in making sure you had everything you needed nothing was to much trouble.

• Deluxe Twin Room

We upgraded to a downstairs twin bedded room as my husband has difficulty with stairs. This room was described as deluxe despite the fact that the room wasn't big enough to leave a space between the beds, so not really a twin bedded room.

The staff were very pleasant and helpful, especially Gerda. The breakfasts were excellent.

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

Had to get used to being waitered on for everything a mealtimes, probably a little old fashioned but nice at times. Shower could have been better as it had very little pressure.

Excellent cooked breakfast. Staff always happy to oblige with every request. The hotel was impeccably clean.

Not keen on "full waitress service", which in practice meant e.g. having to ask a young, not particularly friendly, lady, to get you a glass of orange juice, which she then banged down on your table, spilling some in the process. Parking was a bit of a pain (involving getting a key to open a barrier in order to park in the hotel's car park), but at least a hotel car park is available, unlike some hotels in Whitby, where parking is always difficult.

Reception staff were friendly. Nice room, everything I needed, very clean.

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

The password for the wifi could have been given on arrival, or in the information folder in room.

The Staff were very professional, polite and helpfull. Our room was clean, spacious and very well equiped. Food was cooked fresh, and generous with a variety for all.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Breakfast: a granola option would be nice, and poached eggs slightly less solid! Lack of a lift made getting to the 2nd floor quite a trek especially with cases.

Staff very friendly and helpful. Beds very comfortable. Meals varied, well prepared, tasty and with good service.

The bathroom let it down, the suite looked like it was off the 70s or 80s

The hotel was within walking distance of Whitby. The breakfast was the best I've had in a long time as was the waitress service

• Deluxe Twin Room

not a problem for us but if you have mobility issues, the walk into Whitby centre from this part of the town is down a hill, with steep steps. but if you're visiting Whitby you probably know this!

very comfortable room. breakfast good, with old-fashioned touches e.g. waitress service, bone china. staff very helpful e.g. they can advise re the local on-street parking deal (50p for 4 days!!)

Could not fault anything. Attention to detail was spot on. Owner went out of her way to make me welcome, even walking me down to the car park. Choice for breakfast-excellent. Will be returning next year for a return visit.

Room 15 poor natural light and not commensurate with the price paid

Breakfast 100% Dinner excellent value for money - the friendliness and efficiency of the staff

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

Reception staff could have been more helpful. Had to ask specifically for everything eg Wifi code , breakfast times, map of the area etc Guest Wifi didn't work in the room, only downstairs in lounge.

Good location for the town and beaches. Excellent breakfast and staff in the restaurant.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Car parking not guest friendly - not given key until all previous guests had left - apparently they had no extra keys. This meant we had to return later simply to park the car. Three steep flights of steps to our bedroom - no lift. Hotel is a long steep way from Whitby centre.

Breakfast was good.

• Deluxe Double Room

I requested a room on a lower floor. But was given a room On the top floor. All so £157.was expensive for the room . I have stayed in other hotels in Whitby which were much better value. Would we stay there again. NO.

Very good Staff.and breakfast.

Wifi was only available in the lounge area. It really needs to be provided into all of the bedrooms. As a Wifi Extender costs less than £30 it is not really acceptable in this day and age not to provide it.

The beds were good and the room was clean and well equipped. The restaurant was waitress service even at breakfast and our waitress was friendly and helpful. Reception was well staffed and responded to the bell within seconds. Having a gated open air car park was reasonably secure for our motorcycles but would not deter a determined thief.

The rooms were quite warm, not very big. We booked 2 singles, and they were pretty far away from each other. A bit old-fashioned (bathroom had a bath, with an old shower element.) This was our most expensive night, but not the most luxuruous, so that was somehow disappointing. (Problably the location made it so expensive.)

The staff in the dining room. The facility to have dinner there. Quite close to our path: The Cleveland Way.

Decor a little bit dated but clean. We did struggle booking as it must have been a popular weekend so we didn't get a choice of room so we did end up in an attic room. Everything was very clean thou.

Staff were lovely. Husband is gluten intolerant & the hotel was advised in advance & everyone was fully aware when we got there. Excellent for parking as the centre of Whitby is a nightmare for parking even for the hotels. Hotel was about 5-10 minutes to walk into to town which is downhill. Easy to get a taxi back.

The bed in the single room was to hard for me and I had enough at the end of three night stay.

It was nice and quite, an on suite, very good for parking and the restaurant had a really good diverse menu with waitress service.

Only slight negative was that we didn't realise a cash deposit of £7 was needed for the car park key (£5 is refunded). Hotel were flexible and allowed us to pay a little later but it was a bit of a faff and could have been avoided if it was clearer that a cash deposit was required or if deposit could be paid by card

The rooms were immaculately clean and well appointed. Staff were very helpful and friendly and we loved we waitress service at breakfast as it made a great start to the day. Food was really good, and plentiful! Hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk from town which suited us. We thought Whitby itself was great and would stay at this hotel again if we returned