Reviews of Score Valley Country House

Score Valley, Ilfracombe, EX34 8NA, United Kingdom

#20 of 24 B&Bs and Inns in Ilfracombe

One of the best places we've stayed - we want to come again and finish our holiday!
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

We had to leave early, due to the sudden serious illness of a close family member. We were just getting to know the place so were very disappointed to leave. The bathroom would be better fitted with a proper shower but this didn't bother me, just my partner.

Lovely old house with such character, we loved it. Beautiful woodland setting. Our room was so pretty, with large, comfy bed and gorgeous views. Eating a very good breakfast with sunlight streaming through the open French windows was delightful.

See above
    • First-Floor En Suite Single Room

I booked for only one night, arrived late and left early. Despite this, I found the guest house to be exactly what I needed; clean, comfortable, welcoming with a prompt but well cooked breakfast. Even the advertised single bed was really a small double. I will definately return for a longer stay.

Superb , can’t wait to return , thankyou Donna ( and hubby for the delicious breakfasts)
    • Double or Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

Our private bathroom was down the hall from our room, which was as expected but didn’t have a wash hand basin and we just ran the bath taps to wash hands. The property is 300 years old and the owners have done a wonderful job in using the space available without spoiling the charm and character , so this isn’t a criticism just an observation!

Lovely cooked breakfast and good selection of cereal and yogurt. Also a honesty bar that you could help yourself to, very well stocked. Donna , the owner was a delight hostess and very friendly and helpful. Brilliant location felt that you were in an oasis of rural bliss but in reality only 2 minute drive to Ilfracombe. We loved it and hope to return maybe with our dogs as they are made welcome as well!

Lovely stay
    • First Floor En Suite Twin/Double Rooms

Shower cubicle a little small.

The size of the room was huge and the bed was really comfortable. The grounds were lovely and the house was full of character. The breakfast was very good. Paul and Donna were very good hosts.

Visiting the area for family event

The house is set in a beautiful location. We were fortunate enough to have some sunny weather when we arrived, and so enjoyed a picnic on the lawn next to the stream. The house has all the facilities that we needed, including a comfortable and large rooms, bar with large TV for watching the football, and a great breakfast. The hosts are very nice people, who were keen to ensure that we had everything we needed and made some useful suggestions. Our group occupied for of the rooms, so the communal areas in the house were ideal for us to meet up.

A little slice of heaven!
    • Second Floor En Suite Double

What a beautiful hotel, peaceful and secluded yet easy to get to. Our bedroom was gorgeous and overlooked the garden. Donna was a wonderful friendly host, great breakfast, excellent facilities including a lovely lounge area with honesty bar and a selection of games. We'll definitely reccommend and be back.

Amazing stay, will definitely be back!
    • Double or Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

Such a beautiful hotel. I brought my mum here as a surprise for her birthday and she absolutely loved it! Dogs are welcome too which is a bonus. Such good value and lovely breakfast in the morning.

Perfect short break with partner and dog.
    • First Floor Double Room

Breakfast was perfect. Room was lovely - clean and comfortable with great views. Outdoor area was a bonus. Perfect for taking your dog. Really good value for money.

Friendly, warm and inviting
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

Bathroom didn’t have a fixed shower

Really comfy bed, bedroom immaculate. Great breakfast and exceptionally friendly owner. Honesty bar, lounge and well stocked board games was an extra treat.

Welcoming, comfortable, a great brekkie.
    • Second Floor En Suite Double

It is an old counrty house, the only niggle we had was the shower was a little temperamental, but it is an old house which we loved.

Very warm welcome, a good nights sleep and good hot breakfast.

It is a home from home.
    • First-Floor En Suite Single Room

As mentioned, a more comfy chair instead of the stool will be even better.

The room was small but very well equipped and nicely decorated. I had a very good sleep during my stay and that was a testimony of how homely it felt in this place. My only suggestion for improvement is my room (the single) will benefit from a more comfy chair than the stool. Donna and Paul were first class hosts. The have eyes for details and one can see how much effort they put in this place. The breakfast was also very good too.

Would have been a much more positive stay in warmer, drier weather!
    • Double or Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

Arrived cold and wet and were dismayed to find no central heating. Our room was very cold - others may have been better. A small electric wall heater was provided but hadn't been switched on. Separate bathroom also really cold. No way of drying clothes or towels, which were not changed the next day.

Great location in a quiet spot only a mile from Ilfracombe. Owner was friendly and helpful. Lovely breakfasts.

Great Place
    • First Floor Double Room

Nothing at all but we were out most if the day so based on time spent there it was great

Nothing not to like everything we needed and more, lovely setting lovely place lovely owners

More than happy to recommend this Guest House and will stay here again.
    • First-Floor En Suite Single Room

Shower lacked power, but did the job. My room could have done with a proper desk and chair to work from, but that is specific to my requirements. The Heating was from an electric wall mounted heater and the room was nice a cosy when I arrived. As I prefer to sleep without heat i turned it off when i went to sleep. In the morning the room was obviously chilly (well it was February) and took some time to heat the room, but once warm was very comfortable. Oh yeah, LOL. When I finally went to bed and turned everything off, the battery operated clock was noisy, so had to take the battery out.

The house is a Victorian (?) Country house converted into a guest house. Rooms are large and stylish. Well decorated. I stayed in a single room. Bed was comfortable and room spotless. Full English was Breakfast was excellent. Owners were friendly and welcoming.

Exceptional!
    • Double or Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

Exceptional host, delightful perfect location, excellent bedroom, warm and cozy lounge with open fire and honesty bar, spotlessly clean, superb breakfast.

We will be back !

Gravel on the drive to prevent taking muddy shoes into the house, or a really big door mat ( not that there was any complaint from the owner)

Done all this above

If we came back to this part of Devon we would definitely book to stay again.
    • First Floor En Suite Twin/Double Rooms

We arrived to a warm welcome and were very happy with the picturesque location. The room was lovely, the bed was very comfortable and the shower was warm and powerful. We were very happy with the full english breakfast each morning and we were sad to leave to continue our journey.

Ideal place for our babymoon we had a lovely time
    • Second Floor En Suite Double

Host was lovely and approachable, recommended places to see and visit. Location was perfect. Surrounded by beautiful greenery and close to a number of beaches. Breakfast was delicious and tasty every day.

OK , reminded me a bit of Faulty Towers but in a nice way!
    • Second-Floor En Suite Double/Twin Rooms

Mattresses a bit hard - no lifts due to being an old Georgian house, 3 flights of stairs to room Breakfasts ok ,full English etc but when asked for boiled egg was told could not have one, strange!

Hotel secluded in deep valley- nice and quiet although access road was very steep and bumpy

Lovely property set in its own grounds surrounded by...
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

Lovely property set in its own grounds surrounded by woodland,babbling brook at the bottom of the garden, very peaceful spot. Very friendly owners, rooms clean & comfy, breakfast 1st class. would certainly go back. All in all a very pleasant stay.

Great location, wonderful hosts, fantastic property and value for money
    • First-Floor En Suite Single Room

Just an observation, check in time 4 pm and not a minute earlier. I arrived at the property early to find a polite notice encouraging me to come back at 4 pm, which was fine.

Paul and Donna are so friendly and enjoy going out of there way to make your stay a pleasant one. My ensuite room was perfect, very quiet and comfortable. Breakfast was great as was the service.

Hotel was in a beautiful setting and made for a comfortable stay. I would stay here again.
    • First Floor Double Room

The walls were extremely thin meaning you could hear people in the toilet in the next room. The shower could have done with having a bit more power.

The staff were very friendly and the breakfasts were nice. Beautiful location and very secluded giving lots of privacy.

A beautiful country house, perfectly located with two very welcoming hosts.
    • First Floor En Suite Twin/Double Rooms

The entrance/driveway to the house was narrow but well lit and after I had driven down it the first time it quickly became familiar and not a problem.

The room was a larger than average twin room. It had everything we needed for a 6 night stay. There was plenty of room to walk around the beds. There were two comfy armchairs and lovely views of the garden from both the bedroom and en-suite window. The breakfast time was ideal - 8.30am until 10am every morning (I hate it when the breakfast window is ridiculously early so this was perfect). Every day there was plenty of cereals, fruit, yoghurts to choose from as well as a well cooked breakfast. Donna is from Ilfracombe so had plenty of knowledge and advice as to the best places to visit and eat. Her and her husband are a lovely welcoming couple and nothing was too much trouble.

Excellent stay and location

All was good

Very comfortable great location. Owner very friendly couldn't ne more helpful. Very quiet secluded location but close and convenient for town. Highly recommend.

Everything was fantastic and the hosts kindly got up earlier...
    • First-Floor En Suite Single Room

There was nothing I didn't like about it.

Everything was fantastic and the hosts kindly got up earlier than usual to cook me a delicious full english breakfast,thoroughly enjoyed it and I am looking forward to returning there in a fortnight's time.

Overall a very enjoyable stay and would return.
    • Second Floor En Suite Double

The bed was a little uncomfortable but did not spoil our stay. The car park can be a bit tight when busy.

The hotel is spacious and very pleasant, we where welcomed and looked after very well. Breakfast was very good and set you up for the day. The bar down stairs was a nice place to sit in the evening and relax with a drink if you wanted to.

Homely Feel
    • First-Floor En Suite Single Room

felt homely as soon as you walk through the door. Owners very attentive to your needs. Good cooked breakfast. Lovely setting very tranquill feel to the old Manor Hose. Great location near to coast & moors

An excellent B&B!
    • Double or Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

Perhaps the weather although we actually had enough dry days to walk and spend time with family nearby.

Excellent breakfasts and very friendly owners who made us feel welcome at once. Loved the fact that it was an easy walk away from our favourite part of Ilfracombe - Bicclescombe Park.

Peaceful short stay
    • Premier Suite

The hotel is a beautiful period property in a peaceful wooded valley. The gardens are lovely and had the weather been better we'd have explored them further. Location-wise, it's possible to walk into Ilfracombe, about 20 minutes, either along the main road or down a wooded lane. There's a good bus service if you don't fancy the walk back up the hill.

Breakfast was freshly prepared and of good quality.
    • First-Floor En Suite Single Room

The mattress was a little uncomfortable, but I slept well.

Breakfast was freshly prepared and of good quality. The hotel owner was lovely and very welcoming.

Charming Friendly Quiet B&B
    • Second Floor En Suite Double

Taste of tea But i think that's the water Garden area could be nicer looked in need of some attention Location was a fair walk into town/pubs for anyone with walking difficulties Twin beds put together not very comfy for a cuddle I did mean to mention to owners (bathroom radiator was too hot Very nearly did myself an injury)sorry Donna

Friendly welcome from Donna. Breakfast was hot and tasty. We seen a small deer in garden from room Location is quiet Pretty Park just down path with small lakes ducks see picture Relaxing bar for quiet drink

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Nice place to stay for a day or two.
    • First-Floor En Suite Single Room

Could be awkward if not in car.

Nice little room for one, good views, lots of country ambience. Great breakfast to send you off. Roger is a very nice chap.

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

worth every penny
    • First-Floor En Suite Single Room

as a walker and for information only,if there had been a cottage pie and with the onsite bar open I would of so happy to have stayed in for the night.but overall a fantastic stay at a wonderful hotel :@)

a wonderful breskfast

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

I just wanted bacon
    • First-Floor En Suite Single Room

I was unsure when to bring down the breakfast order, thus, I brought it down at breakfast. I was told this was too late, but they could cook some scrambled egg for me. As my breakfast order was only scrambled egg and bacon, perhaps they could have cooked bacon along with the eggs? Too much trouble? I was the only person left having breakfast and there still had 35 minutes left open for serving time. I was made to feel awkward throughout this. Not good enough

Location and quiet.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

A Gem of a p[ace.
    • First-Floor En Suite Single Room

A lovely House in a beautiful setting.An excellent venue for all sorts of activities in and around Ilfracombe.Breakfast was excellent and my room had all the comforts of home.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

A really lovely few days.
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

The approach road off the main road is a bit of a challenge. A long, very narrow drive with only room for one car at a time. Fortunately we never met a car going in the opposite direction!

Having achieved driving down the rather hairy drive we were rewarded with a lovely old house in an idyllic setting. It was so peaceful and quiet. The owners were very helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Spacious Room, Good B & B
    • Premier Suite

Room very cold on arrival, which made sheets slightly damp, but fires soon sorted that out.

Room very spacious, two comfortable chairs,very good freshly cooked breakfast

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Beautiful, simple and easy stay
    • Second Floor En Suite Double

Nothing that we didn't like but then we're easy going people and thus not picky.

Breakfast was great, regret not having it on more days. Service was quick and friendly and always came with a smile or humour.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and our hosts company
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

Approach is via a dark drive even in daylight due to dense tree overgrowth.

Breakfast was excellent. Cooked to perfection and a menu of exceptional choice.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Unfriendly staff - poor at managing hicups
    • First Floor En Suite Twin/Double Rooms

There was a misunderstanding in the booking - we were not informed that toddlers were not welcome (we booked via Booking.com and no information was shown). In itself this didn't need to be a big problem - he could have politely explained the miscommunication and we would have looked for an alternative arrangement. Instead, when we arrived we were met with a very frosty welcome, and were treated very poorly with no explanation as to why. It wasn't until I confronted him about the poor treatment the following morning that he explained that toddlers were not welcome. We offered to check out and look for another place, and he apologized for being frosty. I suggested that if something like this happens again he be upfront about it rather than treat guests so poorly.

Great location - close to beaches, secluded, quiet.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

Clean accomodation and good value for money.
    • Second Floor En Suite Double

We arrived early after a long journey but could not get into the room until 4pm even though when we booked the room they asked us for a time of arrival and we stated we may be a little early between 1pm & 2pm.

Breakfast was not too bad, the bed was comfortable and the accommodation was clean. Not bad value for money.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

Disappointing.
    • Second-Floor En Suite Double/Twin Rooms

Small inadequate room, small inadequate shower room. strange carpets on floor in bedroom and bathroom. Strange smell of damp and fly spray on entering the hotel. Lights over beds on wall loose. Plug socket behind bed loose. Bedding clean but faded. Decor dated and tired. The other rooms we saw were much bigger and better than the one we had, and the photo of our room on the website was misleading as the room looked bigger and fresher in the photo, which is why I chose it.

The Hotel was set in beautiful grounds. Lovely and quiet. Generous tea tray.

Friendly staff great breakfast

Friendly staff great breakfast

Very relaxing

Very comfy bed Tasty breakfast

Very good small hotel,nice quiet location.
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

Very good small hotel,nice quiet location.

Beautiful peaceful surroundings- just lovely.
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

Beautiful peaceful surroundings- just lovely.

Friendly staff and fantastic breakfast ,
    • First Floor Double Room

Great position , clean and tidy.

Set in beautiful surroundings, A comfortable bed in a...
    • Double or Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

Set in beautiful surroundings, A comfortable bed in a beautiful room. Lovely breakfast.

Friendly and helpful people.
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

Friendly and helpful people. Lovely hidden location

Lovely
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

More lighting om patio terrace

Cooked breakfast was superb

Great views, friendly hosts, comfortable room.
    • Second Floor En Suite Double

Great breakfast, lovely peaceful setting, excellent hosts.

Excellent b&B
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

It was in a lovely location beautiful setting. Made very welcome. Breakfast excellent.

Excellent, Quiet, Beautiful
    • Second Floor En Suite Double

It was just better than expected in every aspect

Enjoyable stay with friendly service
    • Second-Floor En Suite Double/Twin Rooms

Breakfast excellent? Owners friendly and welcoming

Donna couldn’t do enough for us.
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

Donna couldn’t do enough for us.

Perfect
    • Double or Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

Excellent all round would highly recommend

Beautiful location and the staff were excellent.
    • First-Floor En Suite Single Room

Beautiful location and the staff were excellent. The breakfast was amazing and I would thoroughly recommend this place to anyone.

Very comfortable

Very friendly owners

Good base for driving out to North Devon coastal villages and clifftop walks/views

Internet access intermittent

Interesting old house in wooded valley setting. Very comfy huge bed. Excellent breakfast.

Lovely rooms and lovely host

No pubs/restaurants in easy walking distance-but bar provided

Lovely rooms and lovely host

lovely BnB

n/a

Lovely BnB with friendly service and beautiful home. Excellent breakfast

Excellent service from a lovely couple, homely rooms, comfy...
    • Second-Floor En Suite Double/Twin Rooms

Excellent service from a lovely couple, homely rooms, comfy beds!

So quiet

So quiet

Very friendly and helpful staff.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Nice cosy lounge and bar area.

excellent

Chocolates, fireplace and nice warm room were perfect to cone back to after coming out of the surf.

Relaxing
    • Second Floor En Suite Double

Nothing as it was perfect

Very friendly welcome clean location perfect

excellent comfortable weekend stay.
    • Double or Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

Quality of the breakfast sausages!

Friendly,welcoming proprietors.

We will be back
    • Second Floor En Suite Double

The breakfast was superb and the facilities was excellent

VERY FRIENDLY OWNERS AND COMFORTABLE STAY

The Rooms The Owners and the Breakfast

Indisputable value for money
    • First Floor Double Room

Lovely hosts, super service, nice room, excellent food, super quiet location

Superbly cooked breakfast and very friendly hosts.
    • Second-Floor En Suite Double/Twin Rooms

Superbly cooked breakfast and very friendly hosts.

very pleasant, lovely atmosphere in hotel

bathroom needs modernising

warm welcome and caring hosts, easy to find, comfortable bed, homely

Thoroughly enjoyable

Loved it. Quaint with everything that you would need and the breakfast was lovely. Donna and Paul really make an effort.

Lovely home comforts. Peaceful.

Bed was really comfy, staff were lovely, breakfast was yummy and the grounds and house were great.

good value will recomend to friends
    • Premier Suite

the drive into the property was very tight

very friendly and comfortable plus very good breakfast