Reviews of Seashells Guest House 3 stars

57 Nelson Road North, Great Yarmouth, NR30 2AT, United Kingdom

#55 of 74 hotels in Great Yarmouth

nothing worth saying
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

Breakfast cook needs cooking lesson, dog smell, towels were not changed, views were disgusting derelict street filthy dirty houses, main road, looked nothing like pictures on booking . Com, stair carpet minging would not reccomend to anyone wants closing and full refurbishment

There was a fridge in the room

6.0
    don't expect your bacon cooked so you don't break...

don't expect your bacon cooked so you don't break your teeth...in the room I couldn't have a wash without banging my head...same in bathroom...

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Enjoyable. And landlady was very friendly and made us feel welcome
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

I must say carpet on stairs was ditched but if u love dogs u can't expect anything else!

Bed was comfy and had a vry nice TV on the wall..plenty of tea and coffee also a small fridge! Just right for cool drinks wen u get back frm beach!! But most of all the lady was a dog lover.. like myself! 5mins to the sea front. 5mins to car park which if ur staying for a 3/4 days it mite b wise to get a rover ticket (around £30) frm the information centre. We passed on cooked breakfast but very very good value for money

Awful - do not stay here

Disgraceful - breakfast not served until 8.30!!?? (was told to help myself to cereal and milk that had gone off), bedroom smelt of smoke, bed very uncomfortable. Nasty smell of dog lingering in the atmosphere. Parking a nightmare. Never stay here!

Location ideal

What with the heatwave and the golden sandy beaches, I enjoyed my stay at the Seashells GH.

A nice welcome from the lady who runs the guest house. I was allocated a comfy single and slept well. Unbeatable value, and nice name for a seaside gh. Pretty hanging baskets at the front of the property.

Nice place to stay close to all the attractions in yarmouth
    • Poppy Room (En Suite)

Parking , but we were lucky that we got a parking permit and only had to park one street away.

Lovely comfy bed , nice size bathroom and room was bright and cheerful

Enjoyed our stay and our holiday
    • Family Room

There were allocated smoking rooms 3 i think on the floor below us but you could smell smoke everywhere even on the clean towels and being non smokers it wasn't very pleasant. Fresh fruit at breakfast would of been nice.

The owner was very nice and friendly. Good location. Nice to find a bedroom for 3 of us.

Very warm welcome.
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

I was in a smoking allowed room which was not mentioned when I booked. Despite the efforts of the cleaners there was residual smoke in the room which caused me problems as I am asthmatic.

Very warm welcome.

Dispappointed in cleanliness and presentation , would not stay more than a night due to these issue
    • Family Room

Cleanliness needs to be greatly improved , breakfast table has not been washed down from previous use , there were crumbs and dust in the cereal bowls , glasses in bedrooms were dirty and kettle very grubby, stair carpet very dirty and stained. Felt very rushed to leave the property not a very good farewell , she needs more support to bring this BB up to a good standard

The beds were lovely and comfortable and the breakfast was very good . Its in a great location for all attractions

Fantastic 👍🏻
    • Poppy Room (En Suite)

The only problem was the parking, it was very difficult to find somewhere to park :(

Everything was great, Sue was lovely and the room was very nice and comfortable. It’s a great location, close to the beach and the town. And i loved that I could bring my dog :) Thank you very much!

It was ok
    • Family Room

Very messy in all the streets surounding property i.e cans, bottles,fags, dog poo and drunk people wandering around still in the mornings from night b4. Maybe im just getting fussy !!

It was close to beach and shops

Seashells Great Yarmouth

Parking is not great near the B&B. Car was 2 streets away. Property is pet friendly and in some areas the B&B was a little tired.

The owner was the nicest person you could meet. Clearly a pet lover and a sort of anything goes B&B owner.

Smoking allowed in doors including bedrooms !!
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

This place allows smoking indoors, the bedrooms have a sign stating that they are designated smoking areas,this was not and is not mentioned on their website.When we arrived we were greeted with a heavy smell of cigarettes, the stairs are very stained and dirty,the bedroom stunk of cigarettes and beddings were covered in dog hair and everything smelled of cigarettes including the clean towels,. We were very disappointed as we didn't expect to see a public place that still encourages smoking indoors including BEDROOMS!,baring in mind we are not smokers. The shower cubicle is very tiny and the drain hole was not draining properly ,by the time you finished your shower you were standing in a paddle of dirty water.

Generous supply of tea and coffee

Absolutely loved our stay; we felt at home right away!

That we couldn’t stay longer!

The staff were so friendly and couldn’t do enough for us! We really enjoyed how down to earth and homely it was. It was seconds away from all of the main attractions, will definitely be returning!

Had a nice stay here very welcoming and comfy bed in the coffee room
    • Poppy Room (En Suite)

That we had to leave :( would stay again and would book the same room again

The bed in the coffee room was spacious and the double bed was so comfy slept well great breakfast tasty and the lady sue who owns it what a lovely lady friendly very helpful and well what can I say makes a tasty fry up thank you :)

Relaxing and comfortable friendly and very clean
    • Poppy Room (En Suite)

Had to park on side street

Stayed in the Poppy Suite. Very clean with ensuite, took our dog with us who was made very welcome. Sue landlady qas great. Would go back

Would go back.. and certainly recommend

Nothing that Sue could control

Sue, the landlady is lovely. Very helpful and accommodating. Gave me a map of where I needed to go.. even did my breakfast a little early. Nothing was too much trouble for her.

Very welcoming, great owners.

Bit noisy next to the road but good double glazing and fan in each room so able to have windows closed and cool airflow.

Location to town, bus station and the beach.

• Family Room

Dog theme in the room was a little over the top, but bed was comfortable. Strong smell of disinfectant in room. Not the best breakfast, no brown toast very bland scrambled eggs.

superb

Nothing really

The lady managing the guest house couldn't have been more friendly and helpful she was great particularly enjoyed the full English breakfast-really good value......

Excellent stay in Great Yarmouth. Weather was great considering it was only early May.
    • Poppy Room (En Suite)

Breakfast was great. Filled me up for the best part of the day. Even got extra fried bread. Anyone else not had fried bread since their childhood? Ahhh, the memories, the memories!!!! Room was as described and did exactly what is was supposed to do, even had chocolates as well as tea/coffee making facilities.

I would not go back even though it was close to the fun and it was cheap

What can I say, I really think the B&B could do better if staff was hired for cleaning. The room was small but I expected that. The room was generally dirty, The sink, and all around it was dirty and I cleaned it. The glass was dirty, mirror and hair dryer. The throw on the bed had bits on it so that went straight on the floor. At no time was I asked or brought a clean cup for coffee and tea, I was not offered clean towels or bedding I had to ask for towels. There is no soap in the room not even in the bathroom. The bath mat was always wet so I can assume that wasn't changed, the shower had to be rinsed out before use as there were hairs all over it, around the toilet roll it was very dirty, cringe worthy on the wall. The shower was good, the water was good pressure and hot. I did not have breakfast, if you do make sure to order the night before, if you do not have a hot breakfast the charge will still be £5 for the cereal, juice etc....I would like to say that I think Sue does her best, I think she needs a bit of help. She seemed a bit over whelmed so it was difficult to make any complaints or requests. I had NO WIFI If you rely on it as I do, don't count on it, I could go on but I think you get the jest.

Sue was very welcoming and friendly and the bed was comfie, this is definitely a smoking and dog friendly place

Enjoyed my stay. Will stay again.
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

I can't think of anything

The owner Sue was very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. If we needed anything she would provide it with no problems. We stayed in the Cappuccino Room and it was a lovely room with lots of storage to put things.

Fit for purpose.

I'm 6'4, so the bed and duvet feeling child-sized is not a new experience but still an unwelcome one. Insufficient headroom in the toilet too...

Dog-friendly (although I didn't bring my dog), suited my budget and purpose.

rewarding ideal place for us to stay to visit grandchildren.
    • Poppy Room (En Suite)

the king size bed in the poppy room is now to low for my wife suffering with knee problems. it will not stop us from a return visit.

both my wife and myself and our dog bess were made very welcom

Excellent value for money
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

The owner of the property was very friendly and helpful, starting with telling us where to park the car free of charge. The room was very clean and spacious. There was a fridge to chill our wine and complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits, the bed was also very comfortable. The guesthouse is within 5 or 10 minutes walk of the beach and all shops, pubs etc. We would definitely recommend a stay at this property.

Our host was so friendly and welcoming to both me and my dog.
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

Our host was so friendly and welcoming to both me and my dog. Close to sea front and lots to to and see. 100% would stay again .... Sammie says thank you for her sausage for breakfast too!!

Lovely host
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

Hadn’t realised it was a smoking room/house so was a bit of a surprise – but our fault for not checking properly. The saniflo toilet really did smell quite bad.

Lovely host

Fantastic little B&B
    • Poppy Room (En Suite)

Couldn't really fault it for the money that we paid it was fantastic

Great host, big room, huge and very comfortable bed, very clean, free latte and hot chocolate in the room and biscuits, close to the high street and beach, smoking aloud in some rooms, great value for money

Excellent value and excellent host!
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

A little outside noise in the early hours of the morning but that was expected being 5 minutes from the seafront.

We couldn't have asked for a more accommodating host. Sue allowed me to check in early, was very welcoming and friendly. Room was beautiful, extremely comfortable and well presented. Breakfast was lovely too, and the smoking rooms were a massive perk!

Great value.
    • Poppy Room (En Suite)

Sue is very welcoming and is always happy to see dogs-they even get a sausage for breakfast. comfortable rooms with everything you need, good value for money and the charge for dogs goes to charity.

For this price, it was definitely a perfectly good room: Nothing worthy of complaint.
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

-There's no immediate parking, but we knew this before we booked. North Drive is only a few minutes' walk away, where parking on the road is free between Oct to April. -The mattress was fairly comfortable, but very soft, and the wire springs could be felt through the covering - some people might struggle to get to sleep. -The free WiFi worked for a little while, then disappeared and the router could no longer be found. -The basin taps need new washers: Someone with weaker wrists would definitely not be able to turn them off! -The Freeview TV did not have the full range of channels (no, I'm not talking about the adult ones); it could do with having more channels.

-The room was clean and had all the facilities we required. -Very good value. -If you're a smoker, smoking is allowed in the room. -If you're a dog-owner, dogs can stay too. -Breakfast sounds good value, but I can't comment on it because we didn't have it. -Location is pretty convenient for Yarmouth's attractions, and there's a late-night corner shop about 4 houses away. -For this price, it was a perfectly good room, with nothing significant to complain about.

Very friendly service and fantastic quality ingredients for...

No parking on site, had to use a public car park that could be an issue at peak season

Very friendly service and fantastic quality ingredients for the breakfast.

Hmmm needs more info

There wasn't enough information on bookings.com and there is NO parking anywhere. It could do with a Hoover and updating badly

This is a dog friendly hotel with friendly staff

Acceptable for smokers & dog lovers but not otherwise
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

Was a smoking room, could tell dogs stayed there. The basin was in main room not usual these days & toilet very loud. Place itself old fashioned

Breakfast was ok

Bear (the Dog!) would give this place 11/10. We think 7/10 is a fair assessment from us.
    • Family Room

The accommodation is looking a bit tired (room was lovely though). This is probably only due to it being pet friendly. The sink taps were erratic to say the least!

I think the best way to describe this place is heaven for a dog! Our pet Bear got his own single bed, sausages in the morning and a dog friendly piece of rock when he left! He was also fussed a lot :)

Great Bed and Breakfast

Great host, was friendly and made me feel comfortable. Room had everything I needed. Breakfasts were cooked hot every day, and the guest house was within walking distance of the main part of town (shops, buses, beach strip etc.)

Perfect for the niche market
    • Family Room

If you are not a smoker, and not a dog lover you will not benefit from what this place offers. No parking facilities, and it can be extremely difficult to find parking on the streets

This place is perfect for smokers and pet owners, who want to feel like they have never left Home. Lovely welcome and lovely owner.

It was cheap.

It smelled like drains and old smoke very strongly on walking in. The carpets and rug smelled bad too. Had to put a blanket behind the door to keep the worst of the smell out. Carpets on stairs were filthy and needed throwing out. Everything very old and tired, furniture on its last legs, bedside lamp didn't work. Remotes for ancient TV very dirty.

It was cheap. The bed clothes were clean.

enjoyable
    • Poppy Room (En Suite)

not having the bed made every day and driving around the local streets looking for some where to park even with a local vistor permit.

our pet was made very very welcome

Adequate but not really for us.
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

The property was dog and smoker friendly. Since we do not have dogs and don't smoke it was not ideal. All rooms were designated smoking rooms - I didn't think this was allowed in public places? Having said that the room did not smell too much of smoke though the hall and stairs did. I am afraid the cleanliness of the property left a little to be desired. The stair carpet was very dirty. Rust on shower soap basket. Needs a little TLC and attention to detail. Maybe the overall impression was due to end of season booking, and certainly coloured by the dogs/smoking issues. So not for us, but fellow travellers liked the property as they had dogs which was obviously important to them.

Nice cheerful welcome. Some were nice touches, like chocolates in a dish in the room, and overall it was comfortable enough. The breakfast room and food were very good indeed. Parking is restricted directly around the premises but we were directed to a nearby street where we were able to leave the car all through the following day for free!

Very dissatisfied and disappointing
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

No internet available. Carpet on stair dirty. Initial impression poor. Breakfast cereals out of date cutlery and crockery dirty and egg floating in grease bacon over cooked and toast burnt.

Pleasant, relaxing and comfortable, with a fantastic host, thank you!

It was all good!

Sue, the Landlady is a lively and fun character to be around. It's a shame that not all B&B proprietors are like her. I liked her very much and she makes a perfect bacon sarnie!! :-)

I just did
    • Family Room

Me and my partner on bitten why we was sleep in bed the room was very dusty and dirty the breakfast was very grease and smelled of dog saythat I am animal love myself I got a cat if you come round my you wouldn’t smell her

nothing unpleasant. got what we paid for and would stay again .

Shower was very small

Landlady lovely she let us drop bags off early and was very helpful directing us to parking area.Full English breakfast set us up for the day.

Its location with close proximity to the beach and market...
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

WIFI reception is not accessible from both the guesthouse nor our external portable wifi. Facilities seems kinda bit of not functional good, eg. the temperature control of shower hot water is unstable, dripping tap and unlit table light.

Its location with close proximity to the beach and market streets.

could not wait to get home to wash awful!!
    • En Suite Latte Room

Everything! Dirty and smelly though out. Could not wash or sleep in the bed as it was all too dirty. No light in shower room. Awful breakfast! Inedible and gone off sausages

Nothing. Filthy guest house awful breakfast.on double yellow lines.

not great, wouldn't recommend going to great yarmouth let alone seashells hotel.
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

the taps were difficult to turn off. the room smelt. hand towel rail hanging on. only cleaned the room on day out of 4.

liked that they let the dog in and he was able to sleep in the room with us.

fantastic friendly well equipped guest house to take your dog
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

the residents around the area

fantastic service , excellent value for money , the lady here is just wonderful, so friendly and helpful the perfect place to go if you have a dog , our room had absolutely everything we needed and she really made us feel special , i highly recommend here

will Never stay in a B& B again
    • En Suite Latte Room

getting a parking ticket... the owner said as i had a blue badge we could park in any side street. and smoking was allowed in all rooms im a Brittle Asthmatic so that didnt go down well

how close we were to the beach.

Would definetly visit again...Great breakfast. Host could'nt of been more accomodating.

Although in a single room a small refrigerator would of been appreciated.. apart from that minor detail, all was good.

The guest house was just as expected. Could do with some minor modification/décor/beds furniture etc/ however all is overcome with the comfort of the bed / room and the genuine warmth enthused by our host

Very enjoyable but a little disappointed with Yarmouth itself since the last time we were there.
    • En Suite Latte Room

Not being able to leave dog in room the odd evening to go for a meal as there are no restaurants that are pet friendly

Breakfast excellent attention to the dog excellent landlady a bundle of laughs and very accommodating

Sue was super helpful and sweet and friendly, with the rooms...

Only one bathroom between 7 bedrooms, making it a bit awkward in the mornings and evenings. Parking is a two or three minute walk from the actual house, if you can find a parking space close enough. If its a weekend parking is impossible to find.

Sue was super helpful and sweet and friendly, with the rooms perfect for a few days.

Quirky but pleasant.

Room a bit small and could be a bit cleaner but I would go again if in the area.

Excellent breakfast. Made welcome by enthusiastic landlady. Quirky dining room. Close to beach.

Susan is a diamond host
    • Poppy Room (En Suite)

The journey down by car it's a long drive from Bradford but otherwise nothing else

The b and b was excellent value for money I would highly recommend it

Terrible guest house, no other guests. Very cramped room. No heating

No heating Unsympathetic owner Tiny room right on the top floor which should be described when booking. I'm a 70 year old man and it was hard walking up the steps The house was on a very busy road and I could hear everything

The weather outside was freezing and the owner refused to turn the heating on. Very tiny room and not comfortable

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

exellent 4 night stay

only thing i didnt like was leaving

Sue was an amazing lady felt at home great breakfast and very friendly dinning room loved my seat outside Keep it warm sue ill be back xxxx

On the whole a pleasant 3 nights, Adequate room, Friendly staff...
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

Breakfast (Greasy), Shower Drainage (V Slow!), Location (Busy Road), No Parking On Site So If Travelling By Car, Not Visible As You Have To Park Elsewhere & Ideally I Felt The Need To Check My Vehicle Daily...

Staff, Room & Room Facilities

Disgusting!!
    • En Suite Latte Room

The guest house was filthy, everything could of been better!

Did not like anything about this guest house, it was extremely dirty and breakfast was burnt and made us Ill, would not recommend to anyone.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Shabby without the chic !
    • En Suite Latte Room

The too soft bed (backache) Wifi did'nt work in property but landlady loaned me her device which worked ? The window looked onto a shed thereby cutting down on the light in the room . the extra narrow stairs to the room which had to be negotiated carefully (disabled person )

friendly landlady and dogs. The closeness of the town centre and promenade. Breakfasts were more than adequate. The ability to charge a mobility scooter in the lobby.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

seashells is a little gem
    • Poppy Room (En Suite)

nothing to dislike u know your own mind and if you do smoke or like dogs or cheap accomdation then dont book

the seashells is a little hidden gem in todays world sue was kind lady and would do anything for you the fact for you vapers and smokers can smoke or vape in the room is a1 in to days nanny state great for dogs not to far from beach and shops great stay easy on your wallet

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Lovely warm welcome from the owner Sue,breakfast was good...
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

Parking was in nearby side streets but we were offered a residents pass to use while there.

Lovely warm welcome from the owner Sue,breakfast was good,fridge in room and tea making facilty.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Perfect dog friendly B and B
    • Poppy Room (En Suite)

I didn't like leaving I wanted to stay longer

The owner is such a beautiful soul, a great cook and she made us feel so welcome. We will definitely be staying there again

Gem of a spot
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

Sue the owner was an excellant host. Very friendly. Breakfast was very good quality cheap. Close to everything in yarmouth. We will be staying again next year.

the rooms are not clean. they don do proper housekeeping. on top of everything they have got pet in the house running all over. so if you are allergic to pets. please stay away

Couldn't wait to get away!!!!
    • Family Room

The fact people can smoke in the rooms. My clothes were smelling of the odours when i arrived back home. The cutlery,plates and cups were not clean at breakfast. just generally disappointed with the breakfast time altogether.

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

Very welcoming and accomodating host

It is smoking & dog friendly, so be aware, but no worse than going to someone's house with these traits. Wasn't a real issue for me, and I don't smoke

Perfect landlady, very accommodating, couldn't do enough for you. Early start for me before normal breakfast times, but Sue made me something special to take with me. Value for money could not be beaten. Facilities perfectly adequate, and in keeping with the type of establishment. Can't understand why people have moaned about parking, 150m up the road there is plenty of free street parking 24/7

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

Lovely lady and dog friendly

Room was very small and the shared shower room was even smaller. The stairs to the shower room are very steep and narrow... light switch took some finding... pull switch tacked to the side of the door frame. No parking available outside, had to park around the corner, a short distance away.

Sue was very friendly and accommodating. If you are looking for cheap and cheerful which is dog friendly, then this is your place.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Wont be Back !
    • Poppy Room (En Suite)

Distinctive drain smell, Frosted window faced a wall, carpets were stained, shower room floor was sticky, Breakfast was very greasy, with well overcooked reheated bacon, There was nowhere to park, area has resident parking places only, had to take a chance parking hoping not to get clamped. Almost left as soon as we arrived TBH, but needed to sleep, as had a long journey, only to be woken by frantic owner banging on the door, as fire alarm in her quarters was going off !!!

32 inch TV, Kingsize Bed was comfy

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

Sue was fabulous.

The guest house wasn't the easiest to spot in the dark. Parking was traumatic there is next to no parking down any of the side streets but they may have had something to do with the time I arrived (8pm). The entrance hall was clean and tidy, the carpet on the stairs was pretty grimy and could do with replacing. I booked two rooms, the latte room, the bed was two singles pushed together, the mattress was uncomfortable but the room it's self was nice. The toilet had a sign saying it was missing a part and may continually flush but Sue was on hand to stop it. I also booked the family room on the top floor, again two single beds pushed together and a single bed, the decor was fabulous for anyone who loves dogs. I knew that the guest house allowed smoking in the rooms, whilst as a smoker I choose to smoke outside I didn't expect the smoke smell to be so bad. There was another guest on the top floor who was obviously smoking in their room and the smell drifted. Even opening the small windows over the bed did very little to weaken the smell. After a very sleepless night and feeling like I had smoked 40 cigarettes through the night, just by breathing, I decided not to spend the second night I had booked here. This was purely because of the smoke smell was too much to tolerate. May be some air purifiers might make a difference.

Sue was fabulous. Very friendly and accommodating. The entrance hall of the guest house was clean, tidy and well looked after. The rooms were a good size.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

A nice welcome awaits at this budget B&B

Carpets on the stairs were a little off putting at first and could do with a clean, but the carpets in the room were much cleaner so it wasn't a problem.

Nice welcome and nothing was too much trouble.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

Cheap, Cheerful and Welcoming!

Stained mat outside the shower, just needed a wash, that was the only fault! Oh and the bedroom sink was slow to empty, just needed unblocking or cleaning with drain unblocker. Everything else was fab, sooo cheap with a very warm welcome and good breakfast. Thankyou, col x

Bedding and towels clean, loads of tea/coffee and small pack of bickies and a few small chocs near bed. Lovely lady was very welcoming. Free parking a few blocks away and property close walking distance to sea/shops/take away and local pubs.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Lovely friendly & highly individual B & B!!

We had no complaints!!

Being able to smoke in our rooms. Sue the owner is brilliant & her 2 little terriers are adorable. Very good rooms with access at anytime. Huge lovely breakfast with lots of choices. Very good choice of tea, coffee, biscuits etc in the Poppy suite that we stayed in. Our friend had his own large single room, also excellent. Great all round.

Dog friendly
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

Strong smell of disinfectant on arrival. Dirty stair carpets

Dog friendly

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

we cant wait to go there again
    • En Suite Cappuccino Room

nice to find a place where the dogs were as important as the humans, felt at ease with the two dogs especially in the room