Reviews of Seckford Hall Hotel & Restaurant 4 stars

Seckford Hall Road, Woodbridge, IP13 6NU, United Kingdom

#6 of 12 hotels in Woodbridge

There wasn't really anything that was terrible. Our room had a adequate bathroom however the window in the bathroom was over the bath so when standing in the shower it felt like people in the carpark could see in. Just to point we were on the second floor not ground floor.

The venue is tunning, the staff are really friendly and helpful and the food in their restuarant was amazing and very tasty.

Very small room Breakfast menu looked lovely, the eggs were of poor quality though.

Lovely grounds comfortable bedroom nespresso machine Car parking

• Superior Room

Gorgeous setting, wonderful old property full of character. Staff very helpful, room [24] was perfect. Delicious dinner and same for breakfast. Only stayed one night whilst hiring a classic car, the hotel and the car matched perfectly.

nothing not to like!

what a lovely hotel, the spa area is so lovely and relaxing and the rooms where also very nice. we had a double deluxe and it was a very big room, will definetly be coming back in the very near future.

We asked for quiet rooms, as we were in Suffolk to start clearing our late mother's house and scatter her ashes. We had had a long and stressful day. They had a big noisy wedding on that night, but they didn't tell us that when we booked. It was impossible for me to get any sleep until the party stopped at midnight. They could have let us know to give us the option to go elsewhere, but didn't tell us until we arrived to check in that evening. Had we known we would have gone elsewhere. I think that was poor service.

Pond was very full of duck weed. Didnt manage to book spa treatment fri pm, which was a shame. Apart from that there is nothing We can say wouldve made my stay better.

Beautiful grounds, friendly bar staff, accomodating to little dogs, lovely breakfast. Swimming and jacussi peaceful and very clean. Liked being able to walk from hotel room to spa in white dressing gown. Great touch having straighteners in spa changing room.

Room rather basic. Bathroom sub-standard. Were put in an attic room up two floors up a steep narrow winding staircase. No elevator. No help offered with luggage. Not great for guests in late 70s. When we checked out at the desk and commented. All we got was 'oh that one' with a laugh. We had booked a long time ago and might have expected better. A hotel of that quality could do better.

Setting gorgeous, dining experience outstanding.

Nothing we didn’t like

The people were very helpful nothing seem to be to much we had a couple of little issues which was sorted right away that goes a long way! We found the cooked breakfast a little over cooked but the rest of the meals we had were lovely. 😊 we will be booking again!!

Breakfast was less than generous. It felt mean spirited in a hotel that was otherwise luxurious in many ways.

This is a lovely old hotel, set in charming grounds, with good facilities. Our room, though small, was comfortable, the bed especially so. The gardens are magnificent. The many public rooms a delight. This is an idyllic place to stay.

Could not find anything not to like

We only stayed for 1 night but we all said we would love to come again. everything was excellent from the very helpful staff , rooms were very comfortable and breakfast was exceptional. enjoyed the Spa

The single room was quite small, up very many steps to the roof of the building. No proper shower and a tendency to bang ones head on low beams! Would be worth paying more for a double room next time on a lower floor

Spa facilities were great, excellent restaurant, food and service. Very impressive 500 year old building in great surroundings. Good location for sight seeing trips

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Bar prices were slightly on the high side

The setting & overall style of property was lovely, very well maintained but still with the air of a 16th century manor. The rooms were well equipped and very comfortable. To top it all off the level of service from every single member of staff we encountered was nothing short of brilliant! We only had breakfast in the restaurant which was very good & reasonably priced.

• Superior Room

Very helpful and friendly staff. Great experience staying in such a historical place wth amazing rooms and excellent restaurant. Menu was extensive and great service. Grounds, gardens, pool and spa really made for an brilliant stay.

The pillows were a little too hard for me but I was too lazy to request changing them.

Interesting history of the property and exceptionally competent and friendly staff. We were lucky to have the best weather so far this year and the gardens were perfect for relaxing.

Beautiful building with the furniture in keeping. The grounds were stunning. Excellent facilities. The breakfast was very good, excellent choice. We found the room lovely, very clean and comfortable. We found the staff very attentive and friendly. A wonderful place to stay.

We stayed in room 21 and it felt very dated. Could do with decorating.

The staff were amazing, and really made us feel welcome. The spa was nice and breakfast and dinner also delicious. Lovely atmosphere.

Front entrance wasn’t clear and the door to it, unnecessarily heavy to open. Food was expensive and limited choice especially for those of us on restricted diets or tastes. No skimmed milk available for breakfast 🙁

The room was large and spacious, friendly helpful staff and the spa was fabulous. The whole place is very olde world but is spotlessly clean. The rooms were warm and the bed was huge and comfy

• Superior Room

Bed in one room needs updating,

Regular visitors and often stay at Seckford Hall. We have stayed in a variety of rooms here and all have been very different. We did have a problem with the bed this time but management were excellent and put themselves out to changes our room very efficiently. Thank you.

Restaurant and bar service very slow. Staff look harassed and very tentative towards main lead of the dinner service who appeared to be all over the place. Lighting in the restaurant very dull...candles on the tables would have helped.

The age of the building, grounds and attic room.

We had booked a suite and my wife was looking forward to a relaxing bath, the suite had a huge bathroom but only had a shower. The service was poor and slow. Despite walking past our table several times the breakfast staff left our used side plates in front of us - despite being empty handed - right up until our cooked breakfast arrived and we had to help them clear the plates away. We could not get a drink at the bar before diner as it was packed out by a wedding party - we ordered drinks from the table which took ages to arrive. When we asked for coffee in the bar after dinner the barman moaned that he could not do coffee and would need to ask for it form the restaurant.

Room was generally clean and comfortable, fitness facilities were reasonable. Quality of food was fair for the price.

Restaurant was overpriced and small portions. Chairs in the bedroom were not comfortable as they had low backs.

Loved that our dog was very welcome. Loved the size of the extra large bed. All the staff were amazing. The spa was an added bonus.

Well I have written a lot as so bad this visit

I Have stayed at this hotel many times before. On arrival no notice to indicate where the front entrance had moved to. Nobody informed me there were workmen next door, the whole room shook when I arrived. I had to ask for someone to serve me in the bar at 6pm twice. No table clothes on the table any more. When I checked out the girl did not ask me or the people in front of me in the queue if I had enjoyed my stay and was everything ok. Coffee in the lounge was undrinkable after my meal. A cup of coffee plonked down, you always used to have a pot. No room in the cup for any milk. Very disappointing I have always loved it there. Made to feel slightly like a second class citizen as I booked through booking,com

nothing negative to say

Excellent hotel set in wonderful grounds. My partner used the spa facilities which she thought were excellent too. Hotel staff were very helpful and we enjoyed the restaurant. Overall a very pleasant experience

• Superior Room

The bed rooms were very small and service in the restaurant at the weekends was far from 4 star, we were constantly having to ask for things to be cleared etc. Thankfully we did have a wonderful waitress on the Friday who was very attentive

There was one particular waitress who was absolutely fantastic and made our trip,

The property, was lovely the only thing that could be improved is the amount of staff working at breakfast. The two staff available were stretched when five tables appeared at the same time. This didn’t detract from the experience for us but the staff did comment about the amount of people all at once.

Beautiful property in good location to access this area

My brothers room was disturbed by fans from the kitchen left on overnight, but the way the staff dealt with the complaint on checkout was excellent, apologetic and instantly took off the price of his and his partners breakfast. Fantastic customer service throughout.

Only late at night barman was a little of putting not letting us have drinks in what glass we preferred

Light and bright room. First class food and Service.

The low beams in Room 18 which drew blood when I banged my head. Running water for 2 hours which woke me and kept me awake. Extremely poor wifi reception

The location.

• Superior Room

The internet is patchy however this isn't the fault of the hotel. It is rubbish throughout Suffolk

There is a wonderful and relaxing atmosphere...even with a very large wedding party there at the same time.

• Deluxe Studio

The bathroom in our accommodation could have benefited from a slight update.

The location is perfect, picturesque grounds and buildings. The restaurant was very good indeed, great menu and wine list.

Everything was great..!

The staff were really friendly,we chatted all the while we were there , nothing was too much trouble, the spa was quiet and relaxing...

• Superior Room

No flip flops available for the spa, quite shocking.

The outstanding views from every aspect of the property, especially the view from our balcony, I would love this room again.

• Superior Room

As saying for a few nights thought the restaurant menu could have had a little more choice. The website menu doesn't reflect what the actual menu is. Really good though.As I have an allergy the chef did cook me some thing else. Staff lovely.

A lovely place to stay. Our room had a great view over the lake. Breakfast was excellent as it is cooked to order and the Danish pastries were also excellent.

• Superior Room

Everything about the hotel was good. We booked a superior room which was lovely and spacious and the bed was comfortable. The spa was excellent, dinner in the evening was delicious (highly recommend the pork!) and the breakfast was equally as good. All ingredients tasted very high quality and the staff were great.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Reception should be manned constantly, when checking in had to go find someone (though very apologetic staff) & found checking out the same, plus lots of people are checking out at 11am should be more staff. Food menu was quite limited.

Staff friendly & attentive

The shower pressure was bad and my only other criticism was the way the bar tender spoke to a new member of staff in front of customers, he was rude and intimidating towards the new guy which I felt was unprofessional

Beautiful location, rooms and swimming pool

The spa facilities were relaxing and quiet, main reason for the stay here. Staff were also excellent, willing to help us as much as they could when we had some car problems. We would happily return!!

Nothing could have been better, other than if I wasn't working, I would have liked to have had more time to walk around the beautiful grounds and take a swim in the pool.

Absolutely beautiful hotel in a great location, just off the A12. Room was fine, with a Nespresso machine, which was well received. Staff were excellent and super helpful. I had two specific requests, outside of what was normally offered, and the staff went all out to sort them out for me. Due to a complicated diet, I brought my own food with, so can't comment on the restaurant.

In my room you could hear absolutely everything that was going on underneath me I think I was above the kitchen area! Wasn’t too bad when the kitchen had closed but not great when trying to get an early night. Also for the price, breakfast would have been nice

I loved the beds and the balcony from my room! Was amazing to have such a lovely work trip in a lovely hotel with a spa!

Had a dirty bath tub. I had asked it tho be cleaned and no body care. Also no heating in the room had small heater so room was warm but bathroom absolutely freezing!

My single room was extremely small and terribly dated. Walls in desperate need of a lick of paint. Health and Safety signs clutters the walls and are not in keeping with the rest of the beautiful old property. My bath was full of hair and cobwebs everywhere in my room, so it can be cleaner. Hot water was very slow to arrive to my room and took about 5 minutes. The room had a bath only. General lack of attention throughout the hotel and the artificial flowers everywhere is not really tasteful. First glass of wine ordered with my dinner was from a bottle that has been open for a long time and tasted like vinegar. I did return it to the bartender who agreed and replaced it with a fresh glass of wine. This shouldn't have happened in the first place. Bartender should be better trained on his wines. I have stayed on a previous occasion in one of the larger rooms at a much higher rate obviously and these rooms are generally much better in terms of furniture, although, the water pressure was pretty bad.

Dinner was very tasty, but my main course was really the size of a starter course at £19. I had to have a dessert and still I left for bed hungry. Breakfast was excellent, but the buffet had no cheese... Staff in the restaurant were all very friendly and helpful. The old property is beautiful.

The room was spacious and comfortable. The breakfast was good and I particularly liked the extensive selection of cereals, fruits and breads. I enjoyed using the steam and sauna and the swimming pool was a definite bonus

Not telling me prior to visit regarding dinner- reduced menu 4 mains and ran out of some choices. could not even fry an egg for my breakfast due to kitchen being renovated. Initial room 8 was poor and dated, dirty walls. However receptionist was very helpful in moving us to a better room. Stil Little things like no sugar or missing items from room coffee offering. £145 for room only is not the best value when you take into consideration all of these issues.

What food was able to be cooked was of good quallity. Staff friendly and helpful.

No Wi-fi in hotel as was down. Wasn’t told why and checking out was same problem as staff had to use own 4G to help book us out.

Staff were very helpful at all times. And the scenery was amazing

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Check in time was not when we was told. Food was awful, vegetarian options were appalling. Rooms were dirty. Over half our party got chlorine burn from the swimming pool.

Beautiful grounds and stately building

When we arrived at the hotel we went to the check in area. However we weren’t given much information about the facilities and when we could use them. We then had to wander around outside to try and figure out where our room was. Our suite was lovely however it was a little shabby. Toothpaste marks up the wall in the sink and several stains on the carpet, the menu at the restaurant was very nice however there could have been a few more options, as the menu that is advertised on the website is very different to the menu when you get there. There are very limited loungers in the spa area and these were mostly dominated by groups of people.

The hotel is beautiful and the rooms were lovely. The food and the breakfast in the restaurant was exceptional.

Room ‘spartan’ for ‘junior suite’ lack of soft furnishings, rather utilitarian. Decor lacked warmth (not heat!) and sense of ‘comfort’. Furniture ‘tired’ eg wardrobe, drawers in chest in sitting area all ‘stuck’. Bathroom lacked blind.

Food, service, bed, Spa

See above

The hotel lacked attention to detail. The coffee cups where too big for the coffee machine. there were three items (kettle , coffee machine and lamp) which need to be plugged in, but only two sockets. Therefore I was changing plugs all the time. Move the lamp! There was an unpleasant stain on the quilt. The Receptionist on arrival advised me straight away that I couldn't book in until 3pm (this was 1.55pm) and then told me that the rooms were not finished - housekeeping - after explaining that on my paperwork it said 2pm she found our room was ready, but was very offhand about the directions to it. The tissues ran out on our first morning. The shower gel tube was practically empty and not replenished. I telephoned reception ( 0 and 240) and was not answered either time. So I do not think it was value for money.

I am a vegetarian and my meal on the valentines package was a headache not enough choices and waited so long for them to sort out was very upset did spoil my evening

Pillows on the third night were replaced with huge uncomfortable pillows that you couldn’t even rest your head on. Raidiator made a lot of noise. Room was a bit small.

The staff were fantastic. Food was great

• Superior Room

Breakfast-inconsistent quality, and service. Room not as advised by hotel when booked.

Lovely building, good evening meal. Attractive grounds . Quiet location. Lots of character.

The only thing I could find to fault is with the reception area beside the front door. You come in laden with bags and put them down and expect the receptionist to come over to the hatch to attend to you. so you put all the bags down and wait - but you have to go to HER and pick all the bags up again (because people would fall over them in the hall.). Not the best experience to start your stay. Having said that, the receptionist was lovely and bubbly and helpful - it's just an awkward space . . .

spa was great and room was lovely overlooking the courtyard and drifts of snowdrops.

• Superior Room

We did not have breakfast since it was not included in the price and we considered it to be expensive. We did have dinner one evening ; the food was excellent but the service was very disappointingly slow.

The building is beautiful and historic. Our room looked out over the lake and on our second morning there was a good covering of snow which added to the beauty. The room was comfortable and the bathroom was outstanding.

• Deluxe Studio

Our only comment was the fan in the bathroom which was on a sensor

My husband particularly liked the sausages at breakfast. The beds were very comfy. .

The room was freezing cold when we checked in at around 1600. We turned the rad on and it eventually warmed up by the time we went to bed at 2330. Particularly in a building with single glazed windows (understandable in a 16th century building) I would expect the staff to check that heating is on in a room they know will be occupied when freezing outside temperatures are widely forecast. The excellent dinner, for around 25 people, needed more service staff than were allocated. It took forever to serve each course. The WiFi was useless.

Restaurant has improved under new ownership.

• Superior Room

there was a constant drone or hum coming from behind the headboard all night long like a generator or something. my wife wasnt bothered but i used the sofa cushions and slept on the floor to get away from this noise. only apparent at night.

view across lake. nice old style hotel with lots of character. lovelly room great reception staff.

• Deluxe Studio

Room needs a bit updating and more attention to small details ie cobwebs, mould in bathroom and new hairdryer

The spa facilities where excellent and staff very helpful

• Superior Room

We stayed at Sekford Hall for one night in December. Everything about the stay was perfect. Great staff, great food and and incredible bar. The staff went out of their way to find us taxis to and from Woodbridge and the sauna and pool the next morning were the icing on the cake. Great value for such a building steeped in history.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

• Superior Room

This is really a wedding venue with some rooms attached. Architecturally, it is a beautiful building and the communal parts of the hotel are lovely, but the rooms and bathrooms (I stayed in two rooms) are very out of date: they may have cut it in 1981, but not any more. My first room was freezing cold and so had to move for the second night; the second room was much warmer but the bathroom was in need of more than a little attention. If the rooms were as good as the staff and the common parts, it would get a 9.

Staff were very helpful and friendly; breakfast was excellent.

• Superior Room

We were above the front door and there was quite a lot of noise from people waiting outside for taxis after midnight. Also crossing the A12 to walk into Woodbridge was a bit hairy and I wouldn't recommend trying it in the dark.

We had a delicious meal in the restaurant and a lovely swim in the pool which is in an old converted barn. I wish I'd found out more about the spa the treatments looked good and reasonably priced.

• Superior Room

Well, the room was freezing. Very very little heat. As a result my wife couldn’t even have a shower as the bathroom and bedroom was very cold. The curtains didn’t even meet to keep out the draught. The radiators were virtually cold. The room we had, #6, was very shabby. Both bedside lights had shades that are broken. They kept on falling off!! There is a stain on the carpet on the right side that obviously is a vomit stain as it’s like a star. This indicates the carpet hadn’t been cleaned. When we told reception on check out, her comment was” you booked it via booking.com so that the reason we got the room we had. I wonder if you are aware of that!!! As a concession they gave us the breakfasts for free! Whoopee! They should have waived the room cost but weren’t having any of that. If you want my opinion I would strike them off your books. I have used your services numerous times in the past and never had a problem. Not a good experience. The bathroom wasn’t particularly clean either. Dirt and grim behind the sink taps.

The evening meal and the breakfast were good. No complaints on the food front.

• Superior Room

WiFi was rather unreliable but not really a problem.

Historic hall with modern facilities; excellent service and good food. Surpassed our expectations in every way!

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The bedroom left a lot to be desired - a double made into a twin - over lights above bed - no soft lighting or lamps. No mirror or make up area - only long mirror in bedroom. No over basin light in bathroom (no bulb) Tea and coffee not replenished on 2nd day - no coffee for coffee machine- had to ask. The worst uncomfortable pillows (cheap and lifeless). Reception staff ok but not that informative - no hotel information in rooms. Felt like a 2 or 3 star,

The grounds, the bar area, the friendly staff in spa and restaurant.

We had dinner on our first night the restaurant was very dark making it very difficult to read the menu which was very limited the food was very good when it arrived. We ate out the second night because we didn't want to eat the same thing twice. I am disappointed that a good hotel has such a small choice for its dinner menu and displayed sheet of paper 😑

I did not have breakfast

• Superior Room

Had an amazing nights sleep followed by breakfast and a Jacuzzi in the Spa. Special mention for Helen the head of house keeping, who was excellent, Helen gave us a guided tour and told us that she had worked at Seckford over 20 years,she spoke so highly of this hotel and everyday still enjoying driving in the entrance gate to see the breath taking master house and panoramic views. I can't wait to go back.

The food in the restaurant was superb. All the staff are fabulous, they were all very helpful and attentive. This is a beautiful old hotel with a wealth of history

Bed very comfy and staff very helpful and friendly. The food in the restaurant was delicious and we especially liked the lounge and bar areas. Picturesque grounds and an excellent location for our trip

• Superior Room

There was mould in the grouting in the bathroom. The room was a bit drab and bland - it had nice furniture but could have done with a few pictures on the wall. There were also old wall plugs from previous furniture still in the wall which looked a bit naff. It wasn't terrible, but it definitely wasn't a 'wow' room.

Wonderfully quirky and steeped in history. Staff were fantastic - really attentive but had a sense of humour as well. There was a beautiful old panelled room where we sat an had a night cap. Really liked the pool and spa facilities too, although the pool was a tad chilly!

• Superior Double or Twin Room

For all of the grandeur and luxury, the comfort of the room was a little lacking as it pertains to the bed itself. The mattress was rather firm, as were the pillows. We also arrived on a day where there were two weddings taking place, so while the staff was being accommodating in providing us lunch (I believe we were outside of the normal lunch hours), we did sit around for quite some time until someone was able to get to us. This didn't make for the greatest first impression, but the rest of our stay helped balance this out.

The atmosphere at Seckford hall was great. It was a charming and cozy, which was perfect for a nice little couple's getaway. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The grounds were beautiful for a leisurely walk as well as for having our dog with us. She enjoyed running around and playing outside even more than we did! We felt really comfortable having our dog with us as the hotel was very accommodating to pet owners. The room was very well decorated and nicely appointed. The view out onto the courtyard and the lake was lovely. Our lunch was very nice and our dinner was delicious. Prices all seemed very reasonable and the bar offered plenty of options.

• Superior Room

Nothing. It ticked every requirement on my list.

I have an electric car and they allowed me to plug it in. Having said that, all hotels at this level should have charging points. They could get a free one from Tesla.

Nothing all good

The hotel is beautiful. The staff were so friendly and helpful nothing was too difficult for them . A special thank you to Jess who was excellent . I will definately return

Food in restaurant was excellent, new menu in action. However, only really one vegetarian/vegan main course. Cauliflower steak was superb but another vegetarian option would be welcomed.

Fantastic shower!

Parking was an issue as very busy with wedding. Had to park car in a field adjacent to hotel which had no cctv. Luckily later on in the day some spaces became free and was able to park car outside the hotel.

Staff very friendly, bed was very comfy, breakfast was delicious and good quality, ambience was very relaxing.

Bed was huge, breakfast was amazing and so was the hotel. Spa was top notch too. Will definitely be back with my family and have recommended it to loads of my friends :)

No staff at reception , only one person on bar and the price charged was very expensive for what we had . I visited this hotel regularly some years ago and it has really gone down hill