Reviews of Our City Apartments at Shaftesbury House 4 stars

59 - 61 Station Street, Birmingham, B5 4DY, United Kingdom

Based on 200 apartment reviews

Location was excellent - just at the back of the station...
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

One small point - there was no toilet paper in the bathroom - not a big deal but not great when only staying for one night. Also furniture was cheap which let it down a bit.

Location was excellent - just at the back of the station through the John Lewis exit.

Worc’s T20 champions
    • Studio Apartment

Staff very friendly and welcoming and even asked if we’d like an extra bed in the room as an extra person came with us. So 10/10 for service and would definitely recommend these apartments and right next to the railway station

Proximity to New Street station - literally 10 seconds from...
    • Studio Apartment

No the property's fault, but the huge screen on the building opposite was a bit distracting

Proximity to New Street station - literally 10 seconds from the entrance

Not worth it
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Hidden £25 cleaning fee, booking app stated £65 final price. They demanded £90 at check-in, or lose non-refundable original price

Clean and handy location

The property is within walking distance to both coach and...
    • Studio Apartment with Separate Bedroom

The property is within walking distance to both coach and train station... checking in was easy and the lady at the desk was very helpful.. I would definitely book again and highly recommend

£25 charge for cleaning
    • Studio Apartment

There is a compulsory £25 charge stated as a “cleaning fee” on top of the price of the room. It’s unclear why it’s not part of the price of room in the first place. We still can’t find any mention of this fee in the confirmation etc, which makes it feel like they are trying to rip you off. Tried talking to staff, but they were unresponsive and when asked to show where exactly we agreed to that charge, they didn’t reply. We paid 92 instead of 67, which is a big difference and we were really upset about it.

The location is amazing! Literally a minute away from grand central. Very clean.

The bed was really comfy.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The miscommunication with the host. When I asked if I could check in earlier. I got a message back saying that I could pick up the key at 12pm and check in at 2 pm the earliest. Normal check in is at 3 pm. After that message I haven't received any further information. On the day that I wanted to check in I send a ton of messages & called the host 4 times. Eventually had to call Booking. Because the host hadn't given me the code until 4:30 pm after the call I had with Booking. So all that time they left me in the dark on how it worked with picking up the keys. So the host could have communicated better. The housekeeper saw me sitting outside and I told her I was waiting on the host. Got no reaction from her. Later when the host arrived she asked if I wanted to get in. So she let me in and explained how it worked then. She asked if I saw the housekeeper and I did like I said above. She said the housekeeper should have let me in. It was a frustrating situation to be in. The host also said that it isn't possible to check in earlier. So she didn't understand how I got that message. A different seat would also be better. The seat is so soft that it feels like you drop through it when you sit on it. Chairs would be nice as well, to go with the folding table that stands in the living room. It's kind of pointless to have a folding dining table without chairs to go with it.

The bed was really comfy. It was also nice that you could cook your own meal and make your own breakfast. The tv with the mediabox was really nice as well. It's great that it's really close to the Bullring and the city centre. Supermarkets, restaurants, the Hippodrome etc are only a few minutes walk away.

Unreliable.

I could not even stay at the apartment. I was not given the access code to get into the apartment until 23:58 on the check-in date. Extremely unreliable. I have complained 3 times and I have heard nothing yet. Appalling.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

No air conditioning the room was so stuffy even with the window wide open. Maybe need to put some portable fans in the rooms.

Was nice and clean and apartment was decent enough.

5.5
    • Studio Apartment

The overall flat was dirty walls in the toilet was all sparked with something. The bed was offal would have been better layin on the floor. And the place was very stuffy and if left the windows open couldn’t sleep with the noise. should have a propper air system in it.

Location was convenient.
    • Studio Apartment

I was given the wrong PIN. One of the lights over the bed didn't work. The venetian blind was stuck so i couldn't close it.

Location was convenient. Price was good.

Awful hygiene standards and the owner
    • Studio Apartment with Separate Bedroom

Contacted the number for the property raised issues about poor hygiene and cleanliness of the place had nothing but rude responses despite providing with many photos showing the state of the place . There are far better places in Birmingham for that money and better standard. Doesn’t deserve 2* yet alone 4!

The bath had holes in it seemed the plastic had been burnt...
    • Studio Apartment with Separate Bedroom

The bath had holes in it seemed the plastic had been burnt which is an health n safety isssue, I text the apartment about the issue on mobile phone they read my messages but did not reply , which I found to be so damn rude

I would recommend this apartment to anyone looking to stay near the city centre.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The man that let me in the property was very welcoming and friendly, he let me check in a little early to set up for a birthday surprise and let us check out late as we were drinking on the night! He realised I was in the wrong apartment and instead of keeping me in that room he gave me the keys to change to the bigger apartment that I paid for. It was Beautiful! Thankyou so much for our stay it was the perfect apartment for what I wanted.

Basic apartment, 2 - 3 star at most
    • Studio Apartment

Cheap and cheerful fittings, not terribly comfortable, very hard bed, fridge was not working, a bit scruffy

Very close to new street station. Easy to access

Very unpleasant and not to a good standard.
    • Studio Apartment

The wooden bed frame was old and noisy when moving around in bed and the matteress was extremely uncomfortable, the lighting in the apartment was not working in the lounge as the light bulbs where out of action. I would not recommend staying in apartment 1.3 to small and over priced.

Apartment was clean and had all the facilities we needed,...
    • Studio Apartment

The apartment didn't really look like the pictures - the furnishings were a bit old and tired but it did the job.

Apartment was clean and had all the facilities we needed, location was excellent. Host was welcoming and friendly and then didn't see another soul the whole weekend!

Will love to come back soon
    • Studio Apartment with Separate Bedroom

Clean sheets , towels and bathroom 👌🏽. Receptionist was very friendly and assisted without delay. the cleaner fattu was very helpful and always had a smile . Convenient location close to city centre bullring and directly opposite the metro station

Convenient and spacious
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The floor was a bit 'sticky' so may not have been cleaned for a while. Some additional furnitures would be good, like a chair and a bed table in the bedroom. We had no hot water for 2 days and that was a real inconvenience, but got finally fixed the third day.

Excellent location, in front of the station, make it easy to pop in a train to go to the NEC. Lot of space (in the 1 bedroom flat) In fact they could easily have a sofa bed to be able to host more people if necessary. Wifi was correct and kitchen well equipped. Easy check-in/check-out (once you have your pin!)

terrible
    • Studio Apartment

getting a code should have been sorted before I arrived, no soap for shower or washing and dirty furniture. I emailed the company for a part refund and have had no reply. There was tobacco splashed about inside the sofa creases.

the location only,

Significant inconvenience and discomfort.
    • Studio Apartment

1) Check in times on Booking.com are different to the actual times. The real times are 15:00-19:00. I chose 12:00-13:00 on booking.com, but when I arrived my entry PIN didn’t work and no one was answering the phone. I had to take all of my luggage to my meeting and check in later. 2) There is a lot of street noise and the blinds do not exclude the bright lights coming from New Street Station advertising boards. 3) The shower was cold - luke warm at best. I raised this with the receptionist, but it remained cold. 4) For a self-catering apartment the kitchen is poorly equipped in terms of cutlery, knives and utensils. 5) They don’t appear to recycle anything.

1) Convenient location in terms of proximity to Birmingham New Street Location. 2) Polite receptionist.

Great location and okay for a short stay!
    • Studio Apartment

We didn't particularly enjoy sleeping on the bed found the pillows and duvet very uncomfortable. The view from our window was of new street station's advertisement screen which wasn't pleasant because all day you would have advertisements shown to you and there was no way to switch it off unless you closed off the blinds completely and during the day that was a pain. Also, at night the light came in through the blinds which added to the difficulty in sleeping. Toilet sink was too low for my husband and cramped up bathroom overall.

As most people have already mentioned the apartment is in a perfect location for all your amenities, shopping (bullring) and bus stations. Fully equipped kitchen with all the utensils needed which was definitely a bonus!

Shaftesbury House.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The heating was off. Living room ice cold and shower Water cold. Kitchen drawer with lots of hair. Inspection after cleaning will not be a bad idea.

It was quiet and the location is great

A great location but smelly!
    • Studio Apartment

The non smoking ban seems not to be enforced. Due to the amount of vents in the room, the room constantly stank of smoke which stopped me having a pleasant stay.

Property just across road from station & around the...
    • Studio Apartment

Whole place smelt of drugs, particularly the floor above where I stayed. Squeaky floor in apartment. Very small room, (carefully taken photos to appear bigger). Crack in the bathroom door. Curtains broken

Property just across road from station & around the corner from the centre of Birmingham. Most places of interest only a short uber ride away.

Great stop for a one night stay, comfortable bed and right in the centre of the city
    • Studio Apartment

The fridge was a little noisy. We didn’t really keep anything in there so just turned it off overnight.

Great location, right by New Street Station and not too noisy. It was a decent space for a one night stay.

A no-nonsense apartment in a great location if you don't mind a bit of street noise
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The temperature of the room was difficult to control and wasn't sure if I could open the windows. The downside of the location was that it was a little noisy at night.

This place is perfectly located for getting trains from New Street station as well as exploring Birmingham. The flat was better furnished than I expected. Great value for money.

Iocation the only good thing about property
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Very basic, around the bath, all mouldy, no head board, bed kept moving every time you turned over, cushions on sofa hadn’t even been plumped back into shape, still in position , from last people lying on them

Iocation the only good thing about property

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Good location for the station but lots of improvements needed!
    • Studio Apartment

Strange very unpleasant smell in the main key collecting area Dirty linen piled up in bags in the hallway for the duration of our stay Whole building could do with a lick of paint and being refreshed Windows were filthy, Venetian blinds didn't work and had a thick layer of dust Window was permanently open and we could hear the noise from the road and train station Room was deceptively small and the windows overlook one of the main train station entrances Located next door to a Chinese (?) takeaway/restaurant and the food smells waft into the apartment.

Very accessible as far as the train station was concerned. Towels and bedding were clean Powerful shower

Perfect location
    • Studio Apartment with Separate Bedroom

The apartment is quite small, and 'separate bedroom' literally means the bed is separated by half a wall. The Windows were absolutely filthy and so were the blinds. The Windows also only open about 4/5cm so the room got hot really quickly and we couldn't cool it down.

The location was absolutely perfect. Right outside the southside exit of new street station. 2 mins walk to the bullring and 4 mins to gay village (handy as we went for pride) Easy to collect keys. Received a phone call the day before check in confirming everything which was nice.

Great stay - fab location & facilities
    • Studio Apartment

Great location, perfect for a stay and shopping/theatre. Really appreciated the call ahead of travelling from the hosts to talk through arrival and ensure we had all the information. It was great to be given nearby NCP details and discount vouchers which saved us a lot of money on the car parking - NCP was a two minute walk away

Very Nice Little Appartment
    • Studio Apartment

Lack of any staff on site might be an issue for some people but not us. The only small issue we had is that we didn't want to carry our suitcases around with us on the day of checkout and as there are no staff on site, we had to used the luggage storage company at New St station to store our bags for a few hours whilst we carried on shopping.

Great location right outside New St train station. Handy for the Bull Ring and city centre

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

Very convenient for train station.
    • Studio Apartment

Generally tired appearance, furniture veneers peeling off, gaps in flooring, bathroom average, hot water in bathroom sink scolding!

Very convenient for train station.

Worst place we have ever stayed in Birmingham. Don't stay here.
    • Studio Apartment

The staff was terrible! We never received our pin code to access the property, so we had to call. The bed was the worst I have ever experienced and the apartment was super small. There was no parking either.

The property was located in a good central location, walking distance to everything.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

The flat was very clean and tidy - good amenities, kitchen,...
    • Studio Apartment with Separate Bedroom

Location wasn't so great for a single girl - homeless beggars outside, taxi rank, and lots of noise (not good for light sleepers)

The flat was very clean and tidy - good amenities, kitchen, iron, hair dryer etc

Highly recommended. I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy a serviced apartment, but now I am a convert!
    • Studio Apartment

The living area would have really benefited from a standard lamp or desk lamp so that the lighting in the evening could have been more ambient.

The location of the apartment was fantastic, meaning I could walk to my workshop and shops within minutes. I was worried that the apartment would be noisy but it was fine. It was great to be able to have use of a fridge and microwave during my stay, meaning I could eat healthily and cheaply and avoid eating out. I found the Wi-Fi essential, and was pleased it worked well. Finally, I was able to turn up the heating easily, and enjoyed plentiful hot water. I was lovely and comfortable.

Great location, nice apartment
    • Studio Apartment

The large LED advert sign outside grand central was opposite our window. It was very noticeable each time the advert changed as effected light in room.

Good size apartment in a great location!

The location is great for the train station.
    • Studio Apartment

Having to keep the blinds down all day due to being right opposite the station which has a high level concourse looking right into the room. There's not much the property can do but one window blind was jammed completely shut. The ddo ing table was a a facto set up and not much room for it. A waste paper bin would have been useful.

The location is great for the train station. The kitchen was well equipped and though not a memorable apartment it is a good base camp for central Brum.

superb location and good value
    • Studio Apartment

windows very dirty, lots of dust bunnies on the floor, otherwise very clean and tidy. TV/digibox hard to understand and no instruction in the flat for these. I got 'no channels' message and scanned 3 times for tv channels before discovering that I shouldn't use the tv remote! Directly opposite balcony of New Street Station, some people might not like being overlooked, but there are wooden venetian blinds and I didn't find this a problem. slightly confusing that instructions say to leave rubbish on the balcony but there isn't a balcony!

convenient location, well provided kitchen, good pre-instructions and on-site clear key collection. I like the apartment arrangement much more than a hotel room.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

Great location shopping public transport nice apartment
    • Studio Apartment

DVD player didn't work - didn't seem to be connected Not enough information re parking Where to put the rubbish on leaving how to work the intercom. But minor issues.

Location. Acces The apartment Couldn't give high score about staff because I didn't meet any!

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Good studio apt, great location, initial access process needs work.
    • Studio Apartment

Not having information about how to gain access to the property and collect the keys prior to arrival. It was necessary to call the "help" number a few times, waiting outside on the street, before someone answered initially. For this location it was not made clear that there is no reception at all! This would have made the expectation different. Yes, the necessary information was included in an envelope addressed to customers in the safe on site, but it would have made the start of the "checking-in" process much, much easier if that information had been provided in an e-mail, or sms before arriving, and after confirmation of payment.

The studio apt was fine. Well equipped for short or long term stays, and comfortable. Hot water available was also nice. Internet was without problems as well. The location was excellent allowing easy access to other destinations. The information book was well prepared, and included the information necessary, except for where to leave the trash. An instruction to leave it on the "balcony" made no sense for this location. Consequently it was left in the hall, where someone else had also left it. I had also read some complaints about the noise being across from the New Street Station. At times it did get a little loud, but was not continuous, and not enough to prevent sleeping for us. Overall, I would stay there again, as well as recommend it, providing the information about gaining initial access is clear.

Perfect location and really good process to get the keys.
    • Studio Apartment

As we were on the top floor it was really warm and the windows didn't open much

Perfect location and really good process to get the keys. Booked two rooms and were put next to each other which was brilliant.

Location was excellent - right next to the station, Grand...
    • Studio Apartment

Could only get one channel on the TV - and there were no instructions on how to use it.

Location was excellent - right next to the station, Grand Central, Hippodrome two minutes away, and the main shopping area only a five minute walk. Able to walk everywhere - no need to use the car.

It looked better on the pictures, the apartment was much...
    • Studio Apartment

It looked better on the pictures, the apartment was much smaller than we had expected. The toilet had a pube on it and the other people staying in the apartments were rough. We heard fights, banging, screaming etc...

Great location, super convenient and decent facilities.
    • Studio Apartment

Make sure to look for the code for entry in an email you get before you arrive so you don't get stuck no the doorstep in the rain :-) The Wifi didn't work for me and when I called the service number for help no one called back. the main issue with flat 101 is the noise from footsteps in the flat above. It's really loud and woke me up @6am both days. If you want to blow dry your hair make sure you have a long cable - there's only one mirror & it's in the bathroom.

Location is great for New Street. The flat was small but had all the necessities. Decent value for money given the convenience for business.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Better to go for a hotel
    • Studio Apartment

Cold, right behind a bar and generator so very noisy, also got moved to a different apartment block but only after trying calling 3 different numbers when we couldn't get into the one we booked. No real apology either.

Clean modern and centrally located

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Poor communication
    • Duplex Apartment

Poor communication with company didn't know safe code untill 20 minutes before check in and that was after ringing & emailing provider numerous of times.

Ideal location. Easy to find.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Excellent apartments in a very good location.
    • Studio Apartment

The staff who I dealt with about my booking & early check-in. A lovely lady named Kate. I've never experienced anyone so helpful. Thank you we had a lovely stay.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

Will definitely stay again!
    • Studio Apartment

A lamp by the bed for some ambient lighting is the only home from home missing!

VERY friendly staff who kindly put our overnight bags in the staff room when we arrived too early. Once the room was ready they then put our bags into our room - very much appreciated - Thanks! Very clean and tidy and well equipped. Yes noisy outside (but very quiet inside!) but it is the city centre and expected that. Location is opposite the best train station I have ever been too. Had its own shopping centre with all the major shops and link to the Bullring too... and a Tesco Express for a few groceries and a bottle of wine! The Christmas Market was just around the corner too!

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Close to main station
    • Studio Apartment with Separate Bedroom

Noisy and bright light of huge eye shaped sign on station right outside window not good. Plastic covering on bed made it uncomfortable. Good size room but very expensive for basic accommodation. Tread plate floor and plastic clad walls not very nice. Quite dirty.

Convenient and practical accommodation. Kitchen quite well equipped.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

The location is super.
    • Studio Apartment with Separate Bedroom

The apartment smelt of a smoker. The bathroom felt old and a bit grumpy. Could do with some extra coat and towel hooks. The photos made it look more superior than reality

The location is super. Apartment nice and warm.

• Reviewed: 4 December 2016

Excellent location next to Birmingham New Street Station steps. Well kitted out flat. Clean & tidy
    • Studio Apartment

Heating only came on at something like 5:30pm. I was in the apartment earlier and it was a bit cold. Not a big deal if you were only in the apartment from around 6pm.

Excellent location. I hadn't realised it was just at the steps to Birmingham New Street Station. Good Security. Well fitted and kitted out kitchen with utensils supplied. Hadn't expected tea, coffee and milk to be supplied which was a bonus. Freshly decorated, comfortable sofa and bed. Plenty great quality towels. All in all a fantastic package.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

Central location and facilities a boon for self-sufficient travellers
    • Studio Apartment

The bedroom window faced a giant display screen outside Birmingham New Street Station, so use of blackout curtains rather than blinds would have improved the chances of sleep.

The suite was very well equipped, with full kitchen facilities, including a dishwasher. The bed was comfy and the whole place reasonably spacious and clean.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

Big space
    • Studio Apartment

Very dusty, especially the blinds... pictures online do not represent actual apartment. Not good value for money. Bizzare checking in/out routine, instructions how to check in and out were not clear. The code we was given didn't work and had to ring up to get into the building which took awhile. Would need some convincing to use again.

Big space

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

great location very poor bed
    • Studio Apartment

The mattress was cheap & very uncomfortable you could feel every spring. for this reason i would not stay again as the following i did not feel refreshed for my days agenda. The WiFi did not work.

The location being next to the train station was a real bonus

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Enjoyable night away!
    • Studio Apartment

Check out was early - that seemed the only thing we weren't happy with! Could do with an extra half hour or so, especially on a Sunday!

We never met any staff as was serviced apartments so couldn't really rate them properly! Place was easy to find, and to access on arrival. Looked exactly like the photos on site, clean and comfy.

Great value apartments but bring earplugs!
    • Studio Apartment

The convenient location unfortunately means there is a lot of outside noise. Even on the 4th floor. We were woken up several times by the noise of drunken screaming and singing which lasted from 3am until around 6. No fault of the apartments of course but if you're staying on a weekend bring some earplugs!

Really great little apartments. Much, much better value than an Premier Inn or Traveloge. Fridge and kitchen area is invaluable. Useful central location near station, clubs and restaurants.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

Amazing base for an amazing trip
    • Studio Apartment

It was not sign posted well being above a chinese restaurant found it difficult to spot.

Everything from location to cleanliness, staff and facilities brilliant all round

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

Awful apartments would not recommend
    • Studio Apartment

The apartment was dirty and very run down. The bathroom was falling apart and for the price I paid I expected a lot better! Wouldn't choose to stay here again, very disappointing. Also the apartment was very very warm and the blinds couldn't be opened to let air in.

The location was the only good thing about these apartments

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Great place to stay for a night out.

The outside and the corridors could do with a bit of sprucing up but hardly a big problem !

Apartment was great for a group of friends in Birmingham for a night out. Apartment was clean, spacious and had everything we needed. Located walking distance from most train stations and a short cab ride to bars/restaurants once we had our heels on.

Charged £25 for cleaning would of expected clean towels

Charged £25 for cleaning would of expected clean towels

The location was perfect.
    • Studio Apartment with Separate Bedroom

Nothing.. the apartment was great and comfortable

The location was perfect.. lots of restaurants and shops

• Studio Apartment

Right opposite a massive LED screen and only vénitian blinds so it’s like daytime in the room at night.

Perfect stay for the time acquired - would I stay here again? yes
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

TV wouldn't work in terms of remote and channel change but not a huge problem

Overall good
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Pictures didn't match extra size bed

In the Heart of Birmingham City

extra cost for cleaning.

Great Location.

Great location but hardly to sleep with a mattress is longer than the bed frame
    • Studio Apartment

No wifi, the mattress doesn't fit to the bed frame

Central location

Location and hospitality shown

Poor ventilation

Location and hospitality shown

• Studio Apartment

Everything was as advertised and the personnel I communicated with on both trips were professional and seemed very happy in their role.

Ideal location
    • Studio Apartment

Property is without air conditioning - very rude staff, kept tracking them until the last moment for the codes.

Ideal location

Great location for a great price.
    • Studio Apartment

The rooms are a bit old and the bed could be more comfortable, but overall it is still very convenient

Great spot , little bit noisy but didn’t stop me sleeping

Not enough towels