Reviews of Sheene Mill 4 stars

37 - 39 Station Road, Melbourn, SG8 6DX, United Kingdom

#2 of 2 hotels in Melbourn

Amazing ..
    • Executive King Suite

Truly first class from start to finish. Wonderful setting, attentive hosts and great food / drinks. Room was spacious and had everything you could ask for. I will definitely be returning.

Overall, a pleasurable and relaxing stay
    • Classic Double Room

Whilst the staff are great, they are clearly very busy and there was a couple of occasions where it was difficult to find anyone to assist me. This included at checkout where the reception was not manned. Happily, a member of the cleaning staff was more than happy to seek out the correct person for me. Just a shame that this was needed

The location is amazing and, as it was a beautiful evening, the ability to sit in the sunshine by the water and relax is fantastic. The attentiveness of the staff to your needs is also most welcome.

Lovely hotel, surrounding and food, bed let it down slightly.
    • Classic Double Room

The bed in bedroom 5 is awful, the mattress is hard, appears very worn and was very thin and the pillows were completely flat, I normally sleep with two pillows, however I needed to use all four!

the bedroom had a lovely view of the pool/gardens and was very peaceful, the breakfast and my evening meal were outstanding.

It was somewhere pleasant to sleep
    • Classic Double Room

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Full English Breakfast was good quality produce (p[ty they ran out of bake beans). Good parking. Excellent view from the property to the lake.

This place is charm, uniqueness, and class x 1000. Wonderful destination for a special occasion.
    • Executive King Suite

YMMV on this point, but the fact this building is from the 1500’s means that it has some...quirks. I’m on the tall side, so the ceilings and doorways were rather short for me. Slammed my head on the roof getting out of bed a couple of times. If you’re average height, you likely won’t notice. Bear in mind we’re a LOT taller than we used to be as a species due to nutrition, so just take this as an advisement if it applies to you. Also, it looks like they’re upgrading their radiators, so this may not apply in the near future, but their heating solution is space heaters at the moment. Again, these things add charm, but as it was around 0C when I stayed, it was a little frigid. The food is wonderful, but be aware the portions are on the small side. Plan your meal accordingly to your appetite.

This 16th century mill has been marvelously updated with modern amenities while still keeping its historical charm. The grounds are pristine, the food is outstanding, and it’s a very unique experience. Plenty of parking and easy to find. It’s only got a small number of rooms, so it feels like an extremely upscale bed and breakfast.

Disappointment totally + family who also stayed
    • Deluxe Double Room

Breakfast very limited and does not fit the Menu description on their website Mattress was hard with 1 chair to sit on in the room whereas website mentioned seating and not 1 SEAT between 2 people . Very steep narrow stairs to rooms .Bar closed as well as hotel on a Sunday evening with no staff to attend any requests apart from a mobile left on reception to contact a member of staff.

A little disappointing around edges, a few simple fixes would have made it a lot more relaxing
    • Deluxe Double Room

- Although you can check in at 3pm like we did, they stop serving food at this time until 6:30 so we had to go elsewhere (the coop) to find a late lunch after a long journey. A bar menu with simple snacks would have been massively appreciated. - We spent one night in this room in which time we noticed that it smelt like drains. I said this before paying and nothing was offered/done about the price of room which by that point I felt was quite high. - Very scuffed, finger printed door to room (among others in building) with difficult lock that seemed half finished/sanded like it had been replaced or repaired and left unfinished. - For a superior room it was quite small - no shelf in shower for products - The resident ‘trumpeter swan’ (An American breed) although sweet natured, woke us up periodically throughout the night. - not good for tallish people. I realise it’s a very old building and beautiful though it is, I’m 5.7 and hit my head multiple times on low beams so it’s worth noting for people of height; it might cause an issue. - some staff had very good customer service however others did not seem as confident.

- Decor was lovely - modern bathroom - Large bath - Great location, beautiful setting on the water surrounded by good pubs - beautiful outdoor eating/ drinking area - food is top notch, we only had the breakfast but it is clearly locally sourced aswell as being thoughtfully presented, seasoned and the smoked bacon tasted like it was home smoked. Very good. - Comfy bed - firm which we like.

Disaster from arrival to checking out early
    • Executive King Suite

Room not been cleaned. Dead insects everywhere. Moved us to small room with intention to moving to another room. It never happened. Walls wafer thin. Hardly slept due to geese honking all night. We had to check out. Apart from young girl on reception, staff were not helpful. Poor value for money

• Classic Double Room

Double Rooms offered were not satisfactory so we declined to stay. We are now told that the three rooms made available to us are the ones that will be done up in due course.... This didn't help us and should not be advertised at normal rate when not to a good standard!

Nice venue needs more attention to accommodation.

Beautifully presented boutique hotel with terrible staff.
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

The staff upon arrival were not too helpful. We were up a short flight of stairs and were not offered any assistance with our luggage. I was told the morning of our stay that there was a private function all evening. Had we not had other plans this would have been a problem as it is situated in a very small village and we would have potentially has no where to eat. The room was unbearably hot. The heated towel rail was blasting out heat all night. Considering there was snow on the ground outside we had the windows open wide and were still unable to use covers to sleep! Mentioned to 3 members of staff and nothing was said/done. Although the beds were very comfortable we were unable to sleep after 05.30 as the people above us were up and the floor boards are so creaky they woke us. I am a very heavy sleeper but was kept wide awake. Again mentioned to staff and no apology offered. Half way through breakfast I was abruptly told I had to move my car if it was in the bottom car park as they had a wedding fair. i am a very reasonable person and had someone come over, apologised for interrupting and asked where our cars were parked I would have had no problem with it at all. I was walking across the room to refill my orange juice and stopped with a point out of the window. I actually planned my stay there to attend the very wedding fair they were discussing. Overall these things really ruined the stay. I was offered no compensation for any of the inconvenience, I spend a lot of time in hotels and have become accustom to 4 and 5* service. Suffice to say they have the setting but not the staff!

The view from our room (room 3) was lovely. The beds were very comfy and the room was immaculate. Lovely shower and the product provided in the bathroom were great. Towels were nice and big which always makes a difference!

Horrible wifi and no way to adjust the heater.
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

If you want to stay away from the internet, this is the best hotel as they offer a very poor or no wifi. If you are traveling for business who need access to the internet, please avoid this hotel. Staff was not helpful in fixing the issue and they don't know how to reset the router. Also in the bathroom, there is no way to adjust the heater. Squeaky floors will make sure you are awake most of the time.

Good view and breakfast.

I reported to them on my return I had left a shirt in the wardrobe and it took almost two weeks for
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

very small and not very comfortable.I reported when I got home I had left a shirt in the wardrobe it took them almost two weeks to tell me they could not find it.

Beautiful room view, charming hotel with very friendly welcoming staff and delicious breakfast!
    • Deluxe Double Room

Everything was pretty good overall. We would have liked the fire lit in the bar on Saturday evening - we had a drink around 5.30 pm before going upstairs to get changed but the fire being lit would have made a big difference. Candles were not lit - I’m sure they would be lit later on as the hotel was preparing for s big party that evening but it would have been 10 out of ten if the fire and candles were all glowing !

View from room eight. Seeing the swans on the water was wonderful! Quirky layout of room appealed to us and we liked the stand alone bath in the room! Nice ensuite- very bijou but did the job with high quality shower fittings. Room lovely and warm on arrival.

Staff were super friendly and the breakfast in the morning...
    • Classic Double Room

Staff were super friendly and the breakfast in the morning was amazing,especially the buffet that had a lovely range of food. Our room was even upgraded for free and we got to stay in our own little apartment. The grounds are breathtaking and definitely perfect for a wedding.

Pretty location and nicely finished rooms

Rooms were quite cold. Floor sloped downwards but bed wasn't levelled so we found ourselves slipping down the mattress during the night which was a slightly odd location.

Pretty location and nicely finished rooms

Nice food but overpriced accommodation
    • Executive King Suite

Only one bedside lamp and that, without bulb - took lamp to reception and requested a bulb but they did not have one. The lamp was replaced with one from another room. Shower hot water provided by an electric (in situ) heater which gave a rather poor flow rate. Our suite was pretty enough but had an air of not being quite finished satisfactorily.

Staff were friendly and Dinner was enjoyable. Bed was comfortable and Breakfast adequate.

I was there for a Christmas party, the food was great, the room was clean and comfortable
    • Classic Double Room

I couldn’t get a cup of at breakfast as they did have soya milk so I opted for herbal tea.

The food was great. The staff were caring and paid attention to me and my needs.

Our room, room 9, was lovely!
    • Deluxe Double Room

Unfortunately we were going to stay 2 nights but cancelled a night due to xmas parties being held at the hotel and we couldn't use the restaurant - which was one of the reasons why we wanted to stay here as the food looked amazing. Would've been nice to have been offered a discount on the room or advised of the parties a little more than 48 hours before our arrival, we didn't have enough time to find another hotel.

Our room, room 9, was lovely! Nice comfy bed and a large bath tub! Afternoon tea was lovely too but quite expensive. Our tv even had Netflix - normally the tv doesn't get turned on when we go away but I am 20 weeks pregnant and it was nice to just chill out watching a movie and enjoy our room.

Pretty hotel with clean comforttable room and bed but noise from the bar and food rather overpriced
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

Restaurant felt a little soulless and service was a little slow considering not a lot of tables occupied. Surprising tatty towels in room although clean.

Good location and friendly staff

Nice hotel at a nice location in quiet town.
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

Some of the staff members were a little bit grumpy

Nice hotel at a nice location in quiet town. Nice for vacation stay over or wedding. Good breakfast and dinner.

Brilliant views with splendid breakfast
    • Classic Double Room

No one around when we turned up-didn’t see anyone until the morning after we arrived and all the doors were locked even though it said food till 9pm and reception open until 10pm.

The breakfast was splendid, the grounds were amazing and the staff were helpful

Disappointing hotel but staff were very keen to be helpful.
    • Classic Double Room

First room was shabby so asked to be moved. At breakfast there were no serving spoons to pick up the fruit and a couple of flies were flying around uncovered food.

Staff were very helpful in moving us to another room which was slightly better but not great.

Really disappointed.

I am covered in bed bug bites from staying here. I wrote to advise them of this and all they have said is that they will look into this. My skin is itchy and feels like it is on fire and I paid £100 for it!

During my stay staff were friendly and location is lovely accept I am now covered in bed bug bites.

Enchanting Garden with pond,Excellent restaurant on site, Delightful "mill room" suite
    • Executive King Suite

The bed in the 2 room suite slopes downward ( due to the floor after all its an old building) which leaves you with your feet dangling in the morning.

2 room suite is the way to go. All to your self. 3 flights of stairs though. Stay during the week to avoid the weddings and its peaceful and quiet. With restaurant on site with excellent food and service. Breakfast included with hot food made to order as well as continental buffet.

Beautiful location, great food
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

Breakfast to start earlier. 7.30am is a bit late for me, 7am would be great.

The setting is absolutely idyllic. The beds were very comfy. The breakfast was lovely - thick, tasty bacon and good range of cooked breakfast dishes. Beautiful bathrooms.

Cosy. Good food although little overpriced.
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

Room (1) not quite as nice as the pictures on the website. Food a little overpriced. Staff v pleasant but hard to find staff to check in/out.

Good food. Fast Wifi

very enjoyable, food exelent and beautiful surroundings.
    • Classic Double Room

no feminine hygiene bags in bathroom. Had to kneel on floor to dry hair as sockets by full length mirror were at floor level and cord on hair dryer not long enough. This information was passed on to reception at check out.

All in all a very pleasant stay in impressive surroundings and with a quality restaurant.
    • Classic Double Room

Cleanliness of the headboard. covered in dust. Otherwise room was spotless.

Staff were excellent and pleasant to deal with. A La Carte restaurant a must to sample as the meal I had was superb

I have been coming to this hotel for nearly 10 years.
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

I have been coming to this hotel for nearly 10 years. In this time the breakfast has become less substantial and less good. There used to be lots of different types of fresh fruit and yoghurt. There used to be pancakes which my children loved. These have been taken off the menu which is a shame.

A hidden gem
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

This was a beautiful boutique hotel in a lovely setting. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The food was fantastic, beautifully presented. Parking was ample and the room well proportioned with a comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Good accomodation
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

The restaurant has white tiles and very white walls and windows. It is a bit like the inside of a wedding cake. Not only the restaurant is closed on Sunday evening, the same applies to the bar, so there is no possibility to have drinks in the garden.

Very spacious room. Good breakfast. Located at a pond, so very idyllic. Had no opportunity to try the restaurant as it is closed on Sunday evening.

location was perfect for my business trip.
    • Deluxe Double Room

the room I booked was not cleaned , bed not made, etc..... clearly a mix up in the room, was changed to an other room "smaller" and had to asked for a discount in the morning which was not offered.

location was perfect for my business trip. Staff was accommodating even got me sorted with a sandwich after a late arrival

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Beautiful buidling with wonderful food and service
    • Deluxe Double Room

Free WIFI is available but was very flaky which was a problem because I was trying to work in my room.

Staff were very friendly and accommodating - nothing was too much trouble Food was excellent

Peaceful

The bed was very hard and not really comfortable. There was a very strong smell of damp, mustiness in my room which I reported to reception.

Peaceful setting lovely view friendly

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

It was ok.....
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

Booked a table for dinner at 8. Shown into the restaurant at 8:45 Breakfast was lacking the extras you would expect at the price we were paying. Nice bread not just white or brown sliced, choice of cereals apart from Cornflakes and AllBran. Yoghurts perhaps. Bit picky I know but you get a better spread at a Premier Inn It would have been nice to have been told that there was a Wedding fair planned for the Saturday. Trying to have a leisurely breakfast while people are setting up around you wasn't great

Dinner in the restaurant was nice .... when we got there

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

Nice setting, friendly staff.

Room was above reception so all comings and goings was heard along with all conversations, bed and pillows were very firm. Not a quiet room.

Nice setting, friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Very pleasant stay in an excellent hotel

Nothing to dislike.

The staff were very pleasant and helpful. We were able to check in early as we were going to a friends anniversary lunch. Nice room, well equipped with a beautiful view. The breakfast was the best hotel breakfast we have had for a long time.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Staff very efficient and pleasant.
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

Staff very efficient and pleasant. Room was lovely and view over mill pond was a pleasant surprise, although I should have expected it. I love the fact that the breakfast menu shows you that you can invite a guest and how much you would be charged, and it was very reasonable! All in all I would definitely return and recommend a stay.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

An amazing party - Merry Christmas
    • Deluxe Double Room

We went to a Christmas party earlier in December at The Savoy.....it was good but the one at Sheene Mill was out of this world. The atmosphere, the decorations, the live band, the food, the wine and especially the staff were all amazing. The staff were so attentive it felt like a fine dining restaurant. It was a fantastic night. Brilliant and well done.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

Lovely hotel in a beautiful setting.
    • Deluxe Double Room

There was no muesli for breakfast! Bit of a first world problem I admit. Apart from that we could find no fault whatsoever.

Bedroom was very nice, with lovely views over the mill pond. We saw a kingfisher sitting by the pond during breakfast....now you don't get that very often! Cooked breakfast was excellent. Great croissants and marmalade! Lots of nice wood fires in the public rooms.

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

Beautiful hotel

'Snack menu' was a bit limited Felt like the hotel was a bit short staffed Dining area at breakfast was cold

Really lovely room and hotel Really comfy bed Very clean

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

Family catch up
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

There was no welcome. Keys on the counter with our name and room number. Arrived thinking we would have dinner there but it was closed. Outside sign said 7 days.

My husband loved the porridge. The swan at the window was cute. Beautiful inside and out.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

It was the best wedding anniversary we have ever spent. 10 out of 10
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

We had a romantic table which was set on a small stage in the window .This overlooked a view of the lake and a summer house this being bedecked in white Chinese lanterns.Above us was a chrystal chandelier.The food was delicious. The staff most attentive

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

nice location and nice view if you work in Melbourn, but not good value for other things

standard full English breakfast - nothing special for the rate you pay. I stayed for a few times. found cup and glass not washed in one visit (staff changed it immediately); found TV controller didn't work once (again, staff very helpful). But what annoyed me the most, is the sloping floor and sloping mattress (as the side to the wall is barely sit or slept on, so it's higher than the other side) in 2 of my visit in the single room. I had to drag the bed further from the wall and flip the mattress over- it took me half hour!

easy check-in/check-out staff very friendly

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

Beautiful gardens and tasteful surroundings- gorgeous place...
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

20-wait to be checked in. -we had just driven for 7hrs from west wales. Quirky room as expected but had to move kettle across the room as plugs didn't work. Get rid of the ridiculously small teacups and get mugs please. Biscuits would be nice. The reception was fab- but we were told not to open the doors- as the neighbours would complain- it was a stinking hot evening- and none of the Windows could open.

Beautiful gardens and tasteful surroundings- gorgeous place for a wedding.

Beautiful location, lovely and clean
    • Classic Double Room

The single glazing meant we could hear the death swan at 3am clear as day! Small gripe though really.

The cleanliness, the breakfast and the staff!

Okay but not for us

The Bed and Stairs

The Scenery

Attentive staff, lovely meal in the restaurant

Attentive staff, lovely meal in the restaurant

unique

fabulous

unique

Good atmosphere, friendly staff, nice surroundings and good food.

All good

Very nice atmosphere

Beautiful location, great food and service just disappointed with the room -due to be refurbished

Bedroom was too hot and thermostat didn't work, neither did the telephone, or flush on the toilet

Had a fantastic time!

Loved it!

bit of a let down
    • Deluxe Double Room

Decor let it down,needed up dating.

Food very nice but bit pricey.

The staff were excellent nothing was too much trouble

The staff were excellent nothing was too much trouble

Location and outset

The loud music playing from the Bar I could hear in my room in the evening / late evening and morning.

Location and outset

Food was superb, portions little small for my liking but...
    • Classic Double Room

Pillows were abysmal and room was a little hot

Food was superb, portions little small for my liking but quality was brilliant

Very nice food, excellent quality, fantastically prepared!

Very nice food, excellent quality, fantastically prepared!

Nothing was too much trouble

Friendly atmosphere, excellent service & fantastic food

Ideal

Nothing of note

Comfortable - welcoming - pleasant atmosphere

Highly recommended

Overall very good
    • Classic Double Room

Room could do with a spruce. Paint etc very tired

Good choice at breakfast

Lovely hotel, welcoming staff

Friendly staff, excellent breakfast

Great location, beautiful inn and very romantic wish we had more time

The bed was very soft

Very friendly and effieicent staff.
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

Noisey bar which I slept above! (I had ear plug so all was good)

Great Breakfast!

Very welcoming staff
    • Classic Double Room

The fact that we missed breakfast but the property itself was lovely.

I loved how cozy the room was x

Perfect hotel, would recommend and stay again
    • Classic Double Room

I have liked the calm of the place, the ambience of the...
    • Classic Double Room

I have liked the calm of the place, the ambience of the hotel and the quality of the food in the restaurant plus the big parking

Excellent stay.😁

All.

Lovely staff, lovely food, lovely situation but expensive
    • Classic Double Room

As an older couple we were put into a room at the top of too many stairs

A lovely situation by the old mill pond

Room very hotb

Room very hotb

Location was important.
    • Classic Double Room

The size of the cups in our room were too small. Should be mugs .

Location was important.

Generally satisfactory but room was a little tired
    • Classic Double Room

Perhaps a packet of biscuits in the room

Situation lovely

Lovely beautiful place to chill & unwind!
    • Classic Double Room

Lovely beautiful place to chill & unwind!

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Sheen Mill

Very pleasant, gardens were beautiful

Nicest place to stay when you are in Meldreth area. Gives you homely cozy feeling. Restaurant staff
    • Executive King Suite

Music was TOO loud in party at night time and was uncomfortable in the suite #10.

Staff, ambience and facility.