Reviews of Smiths Hotel

6.1

5.9

Perfect
    • Triple Room with Private Bathroom

Staff were very friendly perfect for pride weekend breakfast was included had a Vending machine we were also downstairs reception was right next to our door but was quiet

location was excellent for the event i was attending, and...
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Only a little issue was that the room I was in was at the front of the hotel in the street which was fine, but I couldn't get the window to close properly so street noise after the club's kicked out was pretty bad Not much the hotel could do about the noise though to be fair!

location was excellent for the event i was attending, and the free street parking at the weekend is great. the guys also gave me a parking ticket to display in my car so I could have a lie in on the Monday and not worry about wardens!

Not good value for the money I paid.
    • Family Room with Private Bathroom

Room was very noisy and difficult to access. Had a hoover just outside my room for most of our day's stay...

Great location and breakfast staff were very friendly and helpful

Would go back if in area
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

TV didnt work and toilets were a flight of stairs away from room so wasnt really good for me but none of these things were major problems

I honestly cant say that there was anything not to like everything was there in room, dining room was few yards from my room so not far for my breakfast which was good

Staff very nice and helpful.
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Staff very nice and helpful. Got cheap vouchers to park outside on the road, £4 per day which was so helpful. Small room and bathroom but very clean. Some people can be fussy, and I have stayed in all sorts of hotels around the world but for the price and location can't go wrong!!!

Would only stay there again if I did not have another option.
    • Triple Room with Private Bathroom

WiFi service not working -at least for first floor rooms- and staff cannot help you with it. Breakfast is abundant but not really yummy.

Some of the staff will be very helpful and the place is well kept.

Nothing as the hole building can do with an up grade
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Everything there was a nasty smell in the bathroom it was like sewerage smell in the bathroom when you opened the bathroom door you of been sick with smell there was also a fight in the hotel and it kept us awake all night

Nothing as the hole building can do with an up grade

Shocking hotel
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Been to a lot of bed and breakfasts which was so much better than this hotel.. no good value for money at all 157.50 for 2 nights for a extremely small room with marks all over walls ceilings and a huge stain on mattress that I had to make on the Saturday morning.. bed was uncomfortable and I dropped my phone at side of bed and had to move the bed was shocking underneath like it's never seen a hoover in years.. should have a lift too many stairs breakfast wasn't great either. I wanted to leave after first night but it was a lot of money and we wouldn't get a refund.. it was mine sndy husband's anniversary weekend so put a downer on the weekend.. I won't come back to this hotel staff didn't really bother.. bathroom was too small as was shower wasn't clean heater needs a good scrub

Not a bad place to stay if your visiting
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Booked a double room for 2 people and were only left one set of towels after phoning reception to ask for another set was told to come down to reception to collect. Not a problem if your on ground floor or there's a lift available but if your on top floor and there's no lift it's a canny walk down a few flight of staires

Staff were friendly

A fair price Glasgow stop.
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Parking very limited as far as near to hotel as it is on a main street in Glasgow. Stairs to negotiate for disabled wife to breakfast facility.

Biggest room of the places we stopped at with two double beds and a single bed.

Wouldn't go there again
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Room was clean enough but the dining facilities were ridiculously dirty. Drinks glasses were greasy and the dining area was smelly. I didn't eat anything even though the breakfast was included. It is a great location to stay at but they need to work on upscaling the look of the place to make a person want to come back. Parking at the back is definitely a big plus so close to the city centre.

Staff was nice

Laura break
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Stairs but I suppose the exercise did me good I knew their was no lift but lm not as fit as l thought l was

Happy to find a fan in the room as it was very hot in Glasgow during my stay. Enjoyed the breakfast being served instead of the usual buffet

Great Location in Glasgow
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Room was a bit small but location made up for tbat.

The location of this hotel was great so close to great pubs and other food places. Also close to Kelvin Grove and Riverside Museums and other places of intetest. Laundromat just around the corner as well as Post Office etc. .Great value for money.

Good basic hotel adequate for a 1 night stay
    • Quintuple Room with Private Bathroom

When we arrived there was glass outside the hotel that had not been picked up and travelling with a toddler I was scared she would fall on it . Breakfast was greasy sausages like deep fried .

The beds were comfy . Cosy room and bathroom was clean

terrible
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

bed was broken and on suite smelt of fish possibly the worst hotel ive ever stayed at staff member come up seen bed was broke and said nothing he could do

The English breakfast option was great.
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Breakfast only served until 9, not 10 as it says on the website. Annoying that you had to log onto wi-fi every time you had been out of the hotel.

The English breakfast option was great.

staff every morning came to ask or we need extra milk ,...
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

i get very small room in last floor .me and my partner all the times bang our heads to roof. no space for walk . no any view. walls was dirty (not cleaners mistake ) it just need repaint because it's look like somebody vomit on it. parking was from the back and you all the times need to go around . even they have entry from back but they keep that door locked.

staff every morning came to ask or we need extra milk , sugar or coffee .

Wouldnt return
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Pillows flat as a pancake

Bedding had holes.in very out dated had to ask for tv witch should jav3 been in the room walls bare because of decarating going on

Cheap but flawed
    • Quintuple Room with Private Bathroom

Staff were a bit abrupt. Room was not clean, with bits of food on the floor as we walked in. Shower was still covered in shower gel and towels smelled odd. Whole place needs a redecoration.

It was a cheap place to stay that did the job.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would return there on a future visit to Glasgow.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

My one complaint was the difficulty of gaining access to the shared bathroom. I was not told at the beginning that there was also a separate toilet. This made a difference.

The hotel was clean and the bed comfortable. The television and the kettle worked well and the supplies for coffee-making plentiful. . The staff were, without exception, pleasant and helpful.

Was OK but wouldn't go back.
    • Quadruple Room with Private Bathroom

Was run down, reasonably clean... Staff were a hit or a miss. We asked for a fan wen we left to attend our concert never put one in even tho we asked and they said yes. Had to ask for extra towels. Very basic hotel.

Beds were comfy.

Glasgow was very expensive for this time of stay, not value for money
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

The room was very small, looked like a single room with a threequarter bed.

Good freshly cooked breakfast both mornings but stale bread used for toast on second morning.

Would not stay again
    • Family Room with Private Bathroom

The staff at breakfast were unfriendly. Breakfast was poor. No Gluten free items, told Sainsburys was near to go and buy food from there, they would then cook. didn't risk that.

great ! , we would stay again
    • Family Room with Private Bathroom

I didn't really find anything wrong perhaps the layout of the dining room which had a big tv on first thing in the morning at breakfast and a woman who insisted on being on a loud phone just when i want a bit of peace and quiet but that's not really the hotel's fault, Breakfast staff were helpful and friendly and it was very good value

The room was very good, excellent value and had just been refurbished with a lovely shower room. I stayed with 2 teenagers and we managed very well in the family room , plenty of space.

excellent
    • Triple Room with Private Bathroom

The attached bathroom could be bit bigger, but it was fine for one night stay as all other facilities were well above expectation.

Very good and friendly owner and hotel staff. Good location, lots of good restaurants nearby, comfy beds, very clean hotel. Old Victorian style building with high ceiling making the room feel more spacious.

Good value for what we paid
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

The staff were very helpful. The accommodation was very basic, could possibly do with a bit of a deep clean in room but good value for money. A little further from centre than we thought it would be..

Avoid! Trust me it's not worth the money!
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Dirty, too basic for the price, £120 i paid to stay in room 43 and the place was such a let down. mattresses are sunken and very uncomfortable, stairs are uneven and dangerous, walls are cracked, furniture is all water damaged. Not hostel worthy never Mind hotel worthy. Dining room is a mess with a tv sitting at the end of the table. Not enough towels put out for 2 guests. Staff were ok but didn't stand to greet us. Lighting was inadequate in the room with the wall lights not working at all. Wish I'd arrived sooner because I would have asked for a refund and stayed somewhere else.

It was a stones throw from kelvingrove park.

We have stayed for only one night, so I like distance from...
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Firstly when we arrived to our tiny room for two person we felt like in a student small flat. Window was located to street side and if the door of window was closed we heard as if it was opened. Breakfast was not delicious for me and my boyfriend also. Well, if I may decide for next trip to Glasgow i would like to choose another hotel. The staff were not communicative.

We have stayed for only one night, so I like distance from City centre for this money. Bathroom was clear but tiny.

Absolutely amazing
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Not much of a view from the room but didn’t mind that the room more than made up for that

The whole room was lovely with a kettle coffee etc en- suite. Would definitely stay here again the breakfast was brilliant

Staff were very nice and helpful.
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Staff were very nice and helpful. Can't complain for the cleanliness - room and bathroom were in good condition. Option with breakfast is great idea!

Good stay to enjoy entertainment at Kings theatre.
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Room was very small so one of us got dressed while other in shower! We had a room facing street which was quite noisy

Breakfast had great choice and was served rather than buffet. Excellent location for Kelvingrove or West End. Parking was free because weekend

When I arrived I was given a basment room that was not...
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The first room I was allocated

When I arrived I was given a basment room that was not ensuite. I asked the receptionist for an upgrade that I was prepared to pay extra I was allocated newly redecorated room , en suite , at no extra charge.

We were amazed at the value for money.
    • Quintuple Room with Private Bathroom

Really for the money we paid we can't complain. If you want me to say something negative then it would be the decor.

For what we paid we were more than pleased. We definitely will return. It's not flash but does the job and the breakfast was a full Scottish one.

Fairly good
    • Quintuple Room with Private Bathroom

When I woke up at night I found many bed bugs on the wall around the bed , two of them were roaming on my pillow! In addition, the carpet of the room was very dirty!

The staff were friendly and nice. The location good, there are several restaurant near the hotel and the art gallary is only 5 mins walk.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The price was too expensive just for one night. My room was too small with no window to look out of. The room was not en suite and it was a shared bathroom and shower. The staff weren't very friendly.

Nothing. The only thing that I liked was the breakfast. The breakfast lounge was nice.

a good stay overall
    • Family Room with Private Bathroom

I paid by credit card.. After receiving my monthly statement Smiths had taken 2 x payments. I only stayed the one night. It is now in the hands of the credit card company.

a joke of a hotel

due to losing my wallet upon phoning to cancel i was told i could not cancel which i am very angry about as there was no way i could pay, yet the property still took the money from my account having phoned up to ask why the money was taking i was met with a very cheeky woman at the other end of the phone who was not willing to help me whatsoever and just told me to phone back another time. i am now receiving bank charges for being overdrawn in the bank due to this transaction if this can not be solved i will have to take the appropriate legal action

Cheap and (not so) cheerful
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Stairs a nightmare with luggage Lots of work going on - very messy - no explanation at check in Was told I hadn’t paid so then had to go through the hassle of showing my proof of payment etc

Very cheap

not only for short stays, is was good for one week as well!
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

old building so you can hear the voices around, the bed was not so much comfortable, small room with a narrow bathroom

good location in a nice neighborhood, 10 minutes walking distance to Glasgow University, some famous restaurants, park and bus stops around, the bathroom was very clean! towels were changed everyday, room temperature was good, classic breakfast incl bacon, sausage, eggs and beans with some other alternatives

Glasgow’s dirtiest hotel.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

This hotel was very dirty, the staff weren’t friendly and the room was horrible. The room itself was tiny, there was a sink in the windowsill and the curtains, when shut actually went into the sink. 😂 the bed was on a slant so our legs were up in the air. Haha. The shower had little black flys and spiders in it. I mean, probably around 30 of them. There was work going on on our floor and the noise was rediculous. We were actually sleeping in a little corner of the hotel with our own corridor but were woken by two men (staff of workmen) talking really loudly outside our room in a foreign language. I had to ask them to move. The rest of the hotel was actually disgustingly dirty. At one point after passing it 4-5 times, I had to ask the receptionist to remove a toenail from the stairs up to the rooms. 🤢 they served breakfast but we didnt dare eat there because of how dirty the rest of the hotel was. One night, three 18-20 year old boys tried to check in, they had their IDs and money for a room but were denied as the man at reception thought they would make a mess up f the hotel which I would say is quite laughable. By far, the worst hotel I’ve ever stayed in.

The only positive with this hotel was the location.

Cheap - make sure you don't forget ID
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

They required ID when checking in, didn't expect this so may not have been prepared. The stairs to the room were very small and not the easiest to navigate, and there was no lift. The room had a angled roof meaning it was impossible to stand in half of it, and the bed made very loud squeaking noises when sitting on the end.

Cheap, good location for the Hydro or Kelvingrove gallery.

Amazing
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

I loved everything was not one thing I would have changed at all me and my partner have been there before and once again we loved the experience.

Bed was really comfortable the staff were very helpful.

Horrible hotel ever bang opposit what showed in pics
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Room was very smelly and window wasnt shut properly very cold and dirty room bathroom was shared but very untidy old and need goog cleaning bedsheets were not clean pillows were also very hard

nice but notnice
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

no parking when was told on the phone there was ,paper thin walls no sleep as next doors tv on all night went to 24 reception and no one there

staff very nice

Wouldn’t use again or recommend to anyone
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Double room was tiny. Shared bathroom down the hall. Could hear other rooms through walls clearly. Lots of TLC and modernising needed. Carpets pulled up at the side of the room. Wall interior had lots of patch jobs on it. Just didn’t look cosy or nice.

Great value for money near Park and Museum
    • Family Room with Private Bathroom

Great location near the park and gallery plus lots of interesting restaurants nearby. Really nice staff - greeter at reception especially pleasant and offered us quieter room when we mentioned we hadn't slept well the night before. Excellent value for money - nice clean bathroom and decent sound proofing!

Never Stay Here.
    • Family Room with Private Bathroom

Cracked Window, Tiny Shower Only Big Enough For One Person, Room Very Very Dirty, Breakfast Very Cold, Staff Would Not Listen Even Though Complained About Food and Room, They Did Nothing About It, Could Hear Reception All Night So No Sleep, Not Good Value For Money, Will Never Stay Again.

* small but cozy and clean room * freshly remodled...
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

The room was quite small but we didn't spent much time there anyway.

* small but cozy and clean room * freshly remodled bathroom/room * very friendly and helpful staff * great breakfast * lovely kitchen staff * quick walk to University campus and Kelvingrove Art Gallery * next to Kelvingrove Park * direct access to "hop-on hop-off bus" (City Sightseeing) *

This is a good hotel if you are on a budget but not for a family.
    • Quadruple Room with Private Bathroom

We were on the 3rd floor with 2 children and there was no lift. The room was on the attic floor with only one, small roof window which had a sign stating we were not allowed to open due to water leaking. This made the room very stuffy as there was no window in the bathroom. There were areas of damp damage on the walls. The TV was very small and you could not turn it to face the bed area. The hotel was advertised as having parking but when we arrived it was in the street and we had to pay £4 a day for a parking voucher.

The hotel was in a good area, not in the centre of the city but on the main bus routes.

Great, and will be back for our next night out in the city
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Bring your own shampoo & conditioner as this is not supplied.

Very friendly staff, especially the young man at the check in desk! Will do anything to help. Lovely big room and big tv in room also. Great service. Will be back again for our next night out in Glasgow!

Clean and good value for money
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

It'd help if they could cater for allergy or gluten intolerant guests.

Low price, toilets were clean considering they were shared. The room was ok, warm and clean.

• Family Room with Private Bathroom

The beds were a bit hard and we could hear alley noise.

The staff was very helpful and friendly. Location is great. Just down the street from many food options. There is also a fabulous park with bike, walking and running trails just 2 blocks away.

It is a pity how one person's behaviour or attitude can tarnish an experience.
    • Family Room with Private Bathroom

Disappointed that when the electric hot water did not work, the maintenance person tried to convince me that it was still ok, although only cold water ran - it was still a shower. I found this to be a rather unprofessional attitude. Simply acknowledging that something was not working properly would have been the better approach, especially when I was paying extra for en-suite facilities rather than the shared bathroom.

Front-of-house staff were friendly and helpful. Handy location and relatively easy to find.

Would recommend
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The walls are too thin so it could be noisy from other people staying in the hotel.

It is confortable and the rooms are nice and warm. I liked the breakfast as well. Great location, bars, the Tall ship and the Botanic garden are close

Awful, would NEVER stay here or recommend anyone else to stay here ever
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The corridors were extremely scruffy, some of the walls had roughcast with no plasterboard or paint! The room was clean but the carpet was stained and the decor dingy, the window didn't shut.

Staff friendly and helpful

Basic to the bone.
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Shower didn’t work. Rooms was frozen. On check out staff couldn’t have cared less when we told them.

Location is great, room was so so. But it’s a dive. You get what you pay for.

It was only a bed for a night and it served its purpose
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

The price for a Monday night was way over what it should be for that room. Was not happy with the reception wanting to scan and copy my driving licence so I refused, never heard of that before staying in a doss house

Very nice little place. Breakfast was really good. Value for money definitely.
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Nothing really if I was being picky maybe a bit haggis with breakfast would have been good.

Very nice little place and value for money. Staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was amazing.

For a budget hotel, Smiths delivered.
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

For a budget hotel, Smiths delivered. The room couldn't have been much smaller, with a sloping ceiling but had a window that opened and was clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and we were very happy to find vegan options for breakfast.

Overall stay met my requirements
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

No lift. Nowhere to sit in the evening

As I had not requested a room on a lower floor, was therefore booked into a third floor room Drawback there was no lift and as I am 77 years old the stairs were too much. Was moved next morning when suitable ensuite room became available. Very comfortable bed. Good breakfast. Good value for cost. Good location for my requirements. I would use it again D. Evans

Decent Budget Hotel
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

The room could do with better windows to block the noise from passing traffic. However, this is noted in the hotel description so it is to be expected.

Free breakfast, Free Wi-Fi, Comfortable Beds, Cheap Street Parking Available & 24 Hour Reception.

Could’ve been better in cleaning the rooms
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Wasn’t as clean as you think hotels should be and there was workers (decorating rooms) that would stair at you as you go to the bathroom and make you feel uncomfortableness

The staff in the reception area were well mannered and helpful

night in a drainage pipe
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

I requested early check-in three times beforehand as it was a 'Genius Priority' on booking.com and our plane landed at 8AM. Eventually we got a response saying that "Smiths Hotel said they'll do their best to accommodate you upon arrival." In practice, this meant that the receptionist who when I said hello just stared at me blankly, eventually shouted at me "1PM!!! 1PM!!! CHECK-IN 1PM!!" I asked if there was any chance to check in any time earlier and he said "no, everybody leaves late!" In the meantime at least 3 different groups checked out at 9AM but there was no effort made to accommodate us. We walked around the West End and went back to the hotel for 2PM where we found ourselves facing a dark, dirty and small room for £77. The bed was springy, way too soft, almost like a water bed. It was impossible to sleep in it, it just sucked us in, so we ended up sleeping on the floor... Until 4AM when an entire family decided to have a shower upstairs, one by one, and because the gutter basically went through our room we listened to water dripping for about an hour and a half. We left early in the morning, skipping the free breakfast. We probably did not miss much. The following day we stayed in Edinburgh in a 4 star hotel for half the price.

The location was good obviously, but that is something we had known in advance. I have stayed in other hotels in that strip where I had a very good experience, that is why I believed the Smiths Hotel will be similar too.

Breakfast could be better standard but not too bad
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I was in a small room my stay was two nights there was work going on during a Saturday when you want to relax bad time to do work people dont want that the noise was bad too on a Saturday night if your rooms at the front when I says on the Sunday to then they moved me immediately to the top floor we’re it was so relaxing so well done to the staff for that I would go back if I was upstairs definitely not down stairs

The staff were very pleasant

It was a cheap stay
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

The room wasn't very clean, the bathroom had stains in it, the distance to get to the room was up multiple flights of stairs and through corridors which was very confusing, there was marks and stains on the walls which could easily been covered by a couple coats of paint, the bathroom had dings and stains over it, the staff were a little awkward when they were there as they werent there Every time we went downstairs, the mattress was very uncomfortable, there was contractors doing work outside our room and when going to have a drink the water was cloudy.

For just one night it was okay for the price

Very happy with our stay great value for the money in a very good location
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

We were on the third floor they don't have a lift the stairs are very steep I would stay again but would make sure I booked a room no higher than the first floor

The room was clean and comfortable mattress not brilliant but ok staff helpful we were stuck due to bad snowfall and had to stay an extra night they sorted it out without any fuss The breakfast was excellent and plentyfull nothing to much bother very efficient service

Cheap and a good base
    • Triple Room with Private Bathroom

The bathroom was very basic with some repairs required.

The price is right for what you get. It is perfect if you just want a bed. On bus route for easy access to city centre. Great Breakfast!

Location and breakfast and friendly staff and price
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Steep stairs, shared bathroom (dirty and compact) we didn’t use shower room on our stay, electric sockets were loose and coming away from the wall, couldn’t open window, noise from street as no double glazing, everything was severely dated, very poor finish on recent maintenance

Location and breakfast and friendly staff and price

Below average
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Where do I begin. Sharing toilet was blocked with poo. Overflowing!! There was no cold water in the room only hot. Very dated decor. £90 for an evening with breakfast was expensive for the standard.

Comfy bed

Everything you need for a stay on a budget in a great location
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Nothing to dislike,clean and friendly with a well served breakfast

The staff were very friendly and helpful. They are always available and have great local knowledge

Value for money good clean Basic all we needed . And coffee in room . Breakfast good thankyou
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

The hotel clean basic but for price its what i would have thought . Basically we were out all day stayed 2 nights . Breakfast was good . Great bus link . Would stay again . I was sober for a change so my review is not clouded.

Never go back
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Bed so unconfuy. Sheets had stains UNit had sharp edges from over used. Toilets where small for use. Was all micewaved breakfast

Leaving the hotel. But. Good you could come and go over Night.

Lovely stay! great staff
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

The room smelled of smoke even though there's a strict no smoking policy.

Our visit was lovely. Really nice and helpful staff, parking round the back and comfy bed!

Good value, decent breakfast included.
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Bed was pretty uncomfortable, bit wonky and lumpy.

Good value, decent breakfast included. Good place to stay if you’re not planning on being in a hotel for long. Very good location.

People were nice, cheap as hell, breakfast included
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

The room was very cold, the bathroom stunk, the floors were slanted, it sounded like pigeons from the roof were living in the walls, the warm water didn't always work.

People were nice, cheap as hell, breakfast included