Reviews of South Causey Inn 4 stars

Beamish Burn Road, Stanley, DH9 0LS, United Kingdom

#3 of 7 hotels in Stanley

• Double or Twin Room with Courtyard View

The room opened into a courtyard so the only way to ensure privacy was by closing the heavy night curtains. A light blind or net curtains would have allowed us to enjoy the room AND the evening sunshine!

A very pleasant hotel in lovely surroundings with a friendly welcome from all the staff. The food- good quality and value

Nothing to dislike

lovely location with views over the countryside but still only 15 minutes from Team Valley if work beckons. Plenty of free parking. Nice clean room , comfortable bed, good hot powerful shower. Good food choice decent quality and reasonable priced. Nice breakfast.

Table in dining room positioned at the fire escape door. I believe that illegal. Also, breakfast service not quite up to standard, no cereal bowls out and also no loose sugar for cereals, just lumps, which is not suitable

The bed was slightly on the small side other than that everything else was good

The evening meal was lovely, the bedroom and bathroom were very clean, the place is very quirky, staff were very welcoming and friendly the location is superb. The bar area is excellent and well decorated. Plenty of alcoholic and non alcoholic options available and reasonably priced.

• Double or Twin Room with Courtyard View

Loud music outside in the beer garden when we expected peace and quiet so went elsewhere for a drink .Ordered game pie for evening meal not very good at all pastry thin and no richness meat did not taste gamey

Breakfast. clean and comfy room

We had the most amazing time staying in the Tree House with a double jacuzzi bath and hot tub! Amazing isn’t the word!! Thank you! X Special shout out to Frances because without her we wouldn’t have been upgraded! X

• Double Room with Courtyard View

2nd visit and going back again in July. Was asked this time if we would allow a bride to get her dress in in our room, this would mean we would be late checking in. This was no problem to us at all. We were offered a free drink and snack in the bar, not needed as would of done anyway. The lady would deal with us was so apologetic and lovely. All staff are lovely and polite and very accommodating. Lush place to stay.

• Double or Twin Room with Courtyard View

Staff during dinner time were setting up breakfast for the next morning whilst customers were trying to eat, this completely ruined the atmosphere of our meal, and was very unprofessional.

• The Mews with Hot Tub

Jacuzzi wasn't very clean had a dirty line round the water line that must of been off previous users maybe using fake tan etc. But this should be scrubbed clean after every use. Another bad point was the bed (not very comfy) in my opinion that is.

Loved how quiet it was and how peaceful our stay was!

• Economy Double Room

I was in a room classed as "restricted view" so was less expensive than the other rooms. The room was a double and was very nice, clean and tidy and with the usual tea/coffee making facilities. The "restricted view" was in fact no view and was above the kitchen/boiler so when the window was closed there was a gentle hum, which was not intrusive, but if the window was opened the noise was intrusive. Neither the "restricted view" or having to keep the window closed was an issue for me because I don't spend a lot of time looking out of the window and it was freezing outside.

lovely location, plenty of free parking, clean room, nice hot powerful shower, comfortable bed. Nice atmosphere in the restaurant/pub. Good food reasonably priced.

Room temperature was very hot and hard to control which resulted in a poor nights sleep .

Excellent service, friendly staff, very clean and food was delicious!

The massive gap at the bottom of the room door meaning you could hear people in hall & vice versa. The bathroom door in the room doesn't close unless locked from the inside. Whatever is above room 14 was noisy, scratching & banging sounds for hours on end at 4:30am. Really noisy water pipes all night. Finally the bloody cockerill outside.

Friendly staff, comfy bed, clean room, delicious breakfast.

• Double Room with Courtyard View

The breakfast could be improved ie more choice of cooked breakfast and larger portions.

The rooms were very comfortable and clean and the lunch we had was lovely.

• Double Room with Courtyard View

check in was a trauma, having stayed in my friends room the night before her wedding, on the wedding morning with all of the coming and going of everyone, i asked on more than one occasion if early check in was available to which every answer was no apart from one, to which the helpful lady got up on her phone, i assume a cleaning rota to which she said she my room was one of the first to be cleaned so it should be ready- but it wasnt . My husband and i ended up getting changed in a room where the cleaner was cleaning the bathroom just to put on my suit. not really ideal

Had one of the biggest hotel rooms along with one of the biggest bathrooms ive ever stayed in!

There are alterations being carried out and the workmen decided to start drilling and banging at 8.00 am which was not great as we had been to a wedding reception at the hotel the evening before so got to bed a little late. No need for an alarm I guess. I am sure they could have found something else to do for an hour or so.

The room was very nice, lovely bathroom and fab view.

only negative to the stay was the price of drinks.£5.05 for a pint of lager !!

all of the staff were very polite and courteous and delivered great service with a smile .The breakfast was really nice and cooked to order .we also had lunch from the menu which was very reasonably priced ample sized portion well cooked and tasty.

• Double Room with Courtyard View

A couple of cleanliness issues with room. Sorted when mentioned but really shouldn't happen.

Fantastic setting. Beautiful place. Amazing scenery. Great staff. Great food. Breakfast is legendary. That about sums it up.

• The Mews with Hot Tub

Being woken up at 7.45 by a van and lots of talking and barrels getting changed maybe they should do that after 10.30 when people have checked out 😣

Loved the room

• Double Room with Courtyard View

When booking the room there should have been a discount for the wedding party but when I mentioned this they said I already had it but, anyone who who booked had the same discount so really the wedding party didn't get it any cheaper.

Staff were very helpful the food was amazing and the room was nice

There is nothing I didn't like.

Loved everything about our stay. Best wedding ever. Fantastic accommodation, lovely atmosphere, lovely staff. Just perfect.

• Double Room with Courtyard View

The laminate floor in the bedroom wasn't great, lifting and noisy to walk on.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the Full English breakfast was one of the best I've had

I didn't think that it was good value for money given the size and comfort of the room. The bathroom radiator valve was stuck open and the room was far too hot. My wife was awoken by someone clearing the fire grate out in the lounge below, earlier than 6am. The breakfast wasn't the best I've had either.

Nicely situated and generally well appointed hotel.

We were awakened at 5.am every morning by a cockerel !!! Why does a hotel need need a cockerel in it's grounds?

Mostly good, good staff & good facilities .

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

• Double Room with Courtyard View

I felt it was very expensive

Gluten free food was lovely. We were at a wedding here and there wasnt any problem with my food. Staff were very helpful.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

• Double or Twin Room with Courtyard View

The breakfast was lovely but I would have liked just to choose certain cooked items rather than a full cooked breakfast as I don't like everything in any or the full breakfasts.

The rooms were very clean and staff very welcoming and friendly. Location was lovely - wish we had taken our dog.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

• Double Room with Courtyard View

staff in restaurant were rude, breakfast was served and recieved the wrong order and then was cold. There is a 2.5 % charge for credit cards. Very little variety of beer/larger on tap

quiet,

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

Stayed here to attend a wedding. Everything about the place is fabulous The food, the wedding, the staff and the rooms couldn't be faulted.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

Everything - particularly the first class meal I chose (Giant Yorkshire Pudding with the Xmas dinner inside!). Great staff, great atmosphere, great food.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

Would have liked a king size bed. And bed wasn't very comfy.

Everything was lovely from the minute we walked in. Staff are all fantastic. Food also excellent. Lovely peaceful surroundings. Log fire and leather sofas to sink into in the bar area. Can't wait to go again.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Courtyard View

was surprised at the size of the room. clean and adequate but very small especially when I also had a dog and cage. when I booked I didn't see a room like that on the pictures only the more expensive rooms so I was gutted as I still think its a good price to pay but room was very basic for what I paid. I would recommend showing all rooms on your pictures and making it clear what you are paying for as I felt it was a little misleading. I would however return.

our meal and breakfast were fantastic. we went with our dog and the bar was lovely and welcoming with a dog.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

The staff were extremely helpful in offering us a change of rooms the second night because of a continuous throbbing sound which had caused us to have a sleepless night!

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

We stayed in room16 which we felt needed a blind up in the bathroom as the bath/shower was under the window which overlooked the front entrance of the Inn, we put a towel up at the window as we felt people could see in when the light was on as we showered.

Lovely soft bedding, and lots of additional touches, such as a glass if welcoming orange juice, bottled water, toiletries were very welcome and unexpected.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Courtyard View

it's far to over priced. We paid £161 for a normal room, no extras. Only stayed because of a wedding. Wouldn't pay that any other time.

Breakfast was lovely and the staff were Amazing.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

• Double Room with Courtyard View

Extractor fan in the bathroom couldn't deal with all the steam from the shower but no big deal

The room was excellent decorated with a touch of elegance and an amazingly powerful shower. Complimentary drinks and biscuits a lovely surprise.

• Reviewed: 19 November 2016

1 breakfast staff manager curt & incomptennt confused a simple order of 2 boiled eggs (watery) & a plate of baked beans (served together cold on small saucer). 11.45pm-12.30am vehement arguments with foul language from our nearest room neigbours repeatedly entering & leaving their room; then later on other noisy guest returning to their rooms. Then from c06.15am noise from GF bar furniture being moved as bar-room beingcleaned underneath our room. Thin walls lacking sound insulation doesn't help here. Neither does piped music with 2 second bass rythym beats played continously all evening til bar closes either outside &/or in bar under our room.

2 breakfast mangers good ( on 2 successive days). Thank goodness for other close nearby hostelries. Close to Beamish Museum 2½mls away.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

I felt it was a little pricey for what it was..... Good for a special occasion treat though.

The quirkiness of the property was exceptional. The staff were brilliant, went over and above even upgraded our room because it was our wedding anniversary. thank you very much.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

The meals are huge but not tasty, I'd rather have smaller portions that tasted good quality is better than quantity. I also left a new bottle of perfume in the room unwrapped that morning I called and reported it at 9am next morning and it wasn't found by the cleaner it was a brand new bottle mmm strange that! The receptionist extremely rude when i called customer service zero!

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

• Double Room with Courtyard View

Dinner was awful! Inedible veg lasagne and my sister, in great need of a four star break, had disgusting food! The waiters ignored when we highlighted it.

Good variety and delicious , good coffee too!

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

I loved everything about my stay, nothing negative to say.

Beautiful room, everything perfect. There was a wedding going on in part of the hotel, wasn't disturbed by any noise at all, couldn't even tell you when it finished. Very friendly staff, lovely food. Highly recommended.

• Double or Twin Room with Courtyard View

Staff did not listen, I stayed at the hotel before the great north run, the staff knew about this yet put me in a room opposite a wedding, this was so noisy and I could not sleep, I complained to reception twice with no luck! Gutted

Hotel itself was great

The plates were not warmed before the dinner was served, so the food was cold. One dinner was so cold we were not charged for it - but it was Sunday teatime. There is no excuse for cold plates. A minor point really but it did spoil the dinner.

The staff were superb. and the hotel had a real welcoming atmosphere. We also liked the market on the Tuesday. and of course it was so near Beamish.

• Reviewed: 11 September 2016

Scrambled appeared to be the only type of eggs available at breakfast and the buffet-style meant that there was a queue at the toasting machine - both very minor points that did not bother us.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Good dinner menu

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Courtyard View

Softer pillows and mattress.

The ambiance. The whole place, inside and out was very comfortable. The staff couldn't do enough to help. If you weren't sure where to go they would escort you. It was no trouble. Views were fantastic.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

• Double Room with Courtyard View

Very disappointed that there was not the choice to get a late checkout. 10:30am was way too early, the breakfast also finished too early at just 9:30. The cooked breakfast was also disappointing as it was served as a buffet and not made to order - considering the price we paid for the room, this was the least we were expecting.

The room was very nice with a lovely view across the local valley. Bed was very comfortable too.

• Reviewed: 16 July 2016

Fantastic room , very clean and location was fantastic with beautiful surroundings . Food at both the wedding reception and breakfast was extremely good. Will defo stay again .

• Reviewed: 2 July 2016

Very over priced unless you make use of the hot tub,you might as well stay in a standard room,which are on the small side,noise road flashing lights in garden that we could not turn off. Workmen next door and outside our gate a tractor digging a hole. So for £180 per night not impressed. On the plus side breakfast was nice.

Drinks prices

Bed was comfy. And nice bit tv on wall

brilliant rooms and food

Can't think of anything

Decor, comfortable room and bed. Extensive menus and good breakfast. Good location for visit to Beamish Museum

• Causey Cottage with Hot Tub

I think the bed had fleas it cause I was bitten all over

• Valley View with Hot Tub

Outside hot tub could use a cover for bad weather to allow you to still use it

Huge bed. Log fire to give the extra touch for a night away

Wifi terrible connection, and Netflix didn’t work on tv

Very helpful staff

lack of storage space

lovely bed

Excellent service

Beautiful and clean place to stay

no long mirror in bedroom

whole package

Nothing .

The individuality of the place.

• Double Room with Courtyard View

this is a first time at the south causey inn it wont be the last rate this as in my top 10 hotels

The whole thing as I have stayed several times before!

Breakfast was of small proportion.

Scenery was gorgeous . Atmosphere friendly and welcoming and rooms were great.

Narrow stairs to room

Large bed

great atmosphere friendly helpful staff

Couldn’t fault anything

Staff were attentive and nothing was too much trouble. The staff made the experience excellent.

I left my phone charger in room so emailed them when I checked out and got home, no acknowledgement of email and no phone charger

• Double Room with Courtyard View

Nothing wrong with property however breakfast was chaotic and food was luke warm

It was very rustic and appeared to be newly decorated

Bed bit small

Room was fantastic with a great view. Breakfast was absolutely amazing!

Amazing

a swimming pool and spa would of been fantastic

Comfortable bed gorgeous towels lovely decor very friendly and helpfull staff

Room was situated next to a very noisy road.

We were upgraded without extra charge which was a bonus.

• Double-Decker Bus with Hot Tub

Perfect from start to finish

A selection of beers in the bar would make for a more enjoyable evening. Doombar, specled Hen etc.

All of it

• Double Room with Courtyard View

The place is very beautiful and relaxing.

• Double Room with Courtyard View

Breakfast was delicious and bed was super comfy.

• Double or Twin Room with Courtyard View

Portions could have been slightly bigger

The fried eggs were cooked to perfection

Superb!!!