Reviews of Premier Inn Southampton City Centre 3 stars

6 Dials, New Road, Southampton, SO14 0AB, United Kingdom

#7 of 31 hotels in Southampton

Usual Premier Inn reliability but wish it had been closer to the city centre.

The words 'city centre' in the hotel's name were misleading – it is close to but not in the city centre.

The price. And Premier Inn hotels are pretty reliable.

Clean, food good, staff very helpful. Hotel within walking distance of town centre. Room good
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Nothing really, it was all good as I expected.

Staff were very helpful without being familiar. Hotel was near to town centre. Everything was I would expect of a premier inn. Any questions were answered quickly. Domestic staff were very good as room was clean. Tea, coffee, milk available if refreshment station needed refilling.

Despite the shortcomings mentioned I would stay there again as long as price was reasonable.

Function of air conditioner remains a mystery, control seemed to be for show only, as temperature in room not able to be lowered, resulting in a stuffy room. Why no bed side draws and a safe? Chairs in dinning room filthy. Hotel is looking tired and is in need of a update.

Bed was an improvement on our stay 2 weeks earlier. Breakfast and dinner was excellent. Location to shopping area only a short walk away. Free WIFI is excellent.

If bed had been better and a/c worked, we would have had a very satisfactory stay.

Worst bed we have ever (Not) slept in. Air conditioner did not work properly meaning room was very stuffy. Room not serviced after first night-this is apparently policy. No bedside draws. A safe would be nice.

Great breakfast. Evening meal excellent.

If you can find it straight away on foot without google maps or sat nav- that is great!

It can be awkward to find on foot.If you get a little lost (as I did) and do not approach it from the correct road/s. It seems more geared toward the car driver. I did notice cars got in a small jam going out of the car park. This is (I was told) run by another company.

Lots of lovely food to pick for Breakfast, comfortable bed, loads of room (enough for three!)I knew what to except from my previous positive experience of a Premier Inn in London. It is a short walk (once you know where to go) to the city centre. The staff were also good and I was able to leave my luggage there after my check out time free of charge.

Ok apart from room veiw

I did not like the way you checked in you had to do it all your self on the touch screen never done that before also I asked for atop floor room high up I was on floor 2 with a terrible veiw don't know if you can do anything about this it was not what I asked for

Breakfast and evening meal was up to standard along with the bar and restaurant management

Enjoyed. THANKYOU
    • Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Not enough trolleys to transport cases people waiting quite long having to bring down cases in several trips. We did leave some not needed down stairs but waited for trolly to take cases to transport driver not HAPPY

We were in transit only 3day stay beds very comfortable. Breakfast and evening meal good.

Fine! Cheap hotel, GREAT staff, basic rooms with a basic breakfast but fine given the price.
    • Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

The beds were extremely uncomfortable, both my partner and I woke up with sore backs as a result of this. The second night of our stay was one of the worst nights sleep I have ever had. The car park was extremely small, the helpful lady on reception allowed us to park in a non space as we had two children under 4 sleeping in the car when we arrived. No where near enough parking for the number of guests.

The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful.

Comfy and staff very helpful
    • Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

A few more teabags and milk in the room.

Room very nice with comfy beds. Only annoyance was the noise when you put the bathroom light on. It sounded like a drill.

Sincerely disappointed for the first time with Premier Inn.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Room service - cleaning Breakfast attitude. No cleaning service on my 3rd day. Last day - paid £18 for breakfast at 10.10hrs - only to be almost hunted out at 10.50hrs - lights turned off and cleaning lady with hoover arrived. Would like our money back for the breakfast we did not hardly have!!

Bed

First stay.

A couple of dents/holes to one of the walls. Only one plug socket on one side of the bed.

Very good location for the purpose of our visit. Comfortable bed and very clean facilities.

Staff at check in were so lovely.
    • Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

Room so hot and windows don’t open properly. I know it’s a safety measure but it didn’t even open enough to put your hand through and everyday we left when we got back in the evening the cleaners had the heat on and room was like walking into an oven. Made for a very uncomfortable sleep for the baby who sweated and cried most the night.

Staff at check in were so lovely. Breakfast was nice too but I did think £9 was a lot it is all you can eat so if you like a big breakfast it’s worth it. Rooms fresh and neat with nice bathroom and tv with plenty of channels. We really enjoyed our stay. Very close to city center just a nice stroll through the park but don’t walk through the park at night.

Excellent value for money
    • Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Everything was great, just 2 minor things as recommendations and not as complaints - Wifi (if phone is on standby mode, wifi is automatically disconnected) - Some rooms (like ours) are next to the railway lines and you can hear the noise

- Bed was very comfortable - Spacious and clean room - Walking distance from the town center

OK stay, will book again.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Location was a little remote but not too far from city center

good value. Clean room and nice breakfast. Nice chain, we've used them several times.

Welcoming and stress free, thank you.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Everything was good; I have no criticisms to make.

The staff were welcoming, and check in was a very swift & stress free process. My room was clean & comfortable, with decent wifi. Breakfast was busy, but I was able to find a table and dined in peace.

enjoyed our 48hr stay
    • Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Car parking was very hit and miss, cheap for 24hrs but not always spaces available

Service was very good from the front desk staff, restaurant staff were very friendly and efficient, room was very clean

Easily accessible by foot, busses and taxi
    • Double Room - Disability Access

My room was next to all that can be described as utility and store rooms. From 530 in the morning until after midday there was constant clinking of cups and glasses. Noise from a dish washer and or washing machine. Staff talking quite loud. I was very disappointed being disturbed from sleep so early. I opted to stay 1 more night in southampton but chose a different hotel.

Easily accessible by foot, busses and taxi

Friendly staff, clean rooms and big beds.
    • Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Parking. I was lucky but it's a very small car park with only 50 spaces compared to 170 rooms so get there early.

Friendly staff, clean rooms and big beds.

Stayed the weekend. The hotel is a 10 minute walk to the football stadium and town,shopping centre

Could not see out of the window as the seal had blown on the double glazing, therefore the window was misted up in room 133.

Bed was very comfy and the room was well laid out

Good hotel for a short business trip. Will book again.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

The Aircon in the first room they gave me didn't perform at all, upon my complaint I was initially offered to get a fan installed in the room (it was 11:30 pm and I was going to sleep, that means a noisy fan was no option at all)... I refused the fan and then I got a room transfer to where the Aircon worked really well. This should have been the offer in the first place. Breakfast was typically british, not really my continental european taste.

Aircon after room transfer was great, room was nice and clean!

Disappointed
    • Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

Parking was awful. One member of the reception staff were unhelpful. Prepaid breakfast was not great as half the choices had run out. Would not stay again.

Staff in the restaurant were friendly.

I liked that all I've see on pictures was real.

I didn't liked the fact that i could hear the tren during the night, which is not quite resting...

I liked that all I've see on pictures was real.

Ok but not great experience
    • Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

Lots of door slamming throught the night so not much sleep and shower was very low power and no interation with staff as all electronical plus parking pay and display not made clear as it takes ur reg on the sign in so u assume it charges ur parking then

Bed was comfy

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

The manageress solved a serious issue professionally and...
    • Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

Some of the staff lied to our faces and there is no parking. No where to even get a bottle of water late at night as the vending machine wasn't even working.

The manageress solved a serious issue professionally and with courtesy.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

overall did enjoy and would use again

parking

food was fine room fine bed comfy. travelled and stayed here with family our room was quiet but other rooms were disturbed at night with train noise

Central Southampton for good value

Perhaps biscuits with tea and coffee in room would be a nice addition. Bottles of cold water would have been a good idea too instead of relying on a vending machine in lobby.

Very comfy bed and quiet room

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

Premier inn
    • Double Room - Disability Access

The duvets far too heavy and far too warm I didn't get a good sleep The food was not up to the usual standard that Premier has always been

The staff were excellent The site was excellent

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Great hotel , great location..

Railway noise ..but it did stop around 11pm - 6.30 so no bother really just early evening

The bed was so comfy, the room was great over looking St Marys

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

A good place to stay
    • Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

- free wifi is very slow (1 Mbit down / 0.5 Mbit up), although premium (faster) wifi is available for a fee - automated check-in system at the reception doesn't recognize special characters in the name

- excellent staff, they were very helpful, and also friendly - superb location - close to the centre, parks, and the St. Mary's Stadium, walking distance to the train station - breakfast was very good, I had it included in the price; otherwise it's quite pricey - comfortable bed - quiet room, no audible noise from the outside - big TV screen

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

Great location, bed brilliant!
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Waste of time putting the "don't disturb" sign on the door, I could hear the cleaners doing my floor around 8am too early for me!

The bed, really comfortable!

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Great hotel if only two, not so for family of four, space issue.
    • Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

Not enough room for a family, a double and two singles no room for anything else.

Breakfast went down well, lads loved chocolate pancakes. Room clean and bar ok.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

A great place to stay
    • Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

The heating was a bit sluggish in the room which was cold when we checked in, but it stabilized more or less a few hours later.

Excellent reception staff members, amazing assistance with helping to park. Very efficient team! A lovely place to stay. Thank you all for the welcome.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

Very warm welcome and lovely room
    • Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Our only complaints were the breakfast, the bacon needs to be better cooked,also,we weren't very happy with the additional charge when we arrived as it doesn't explain correctly when booking.

The staff where very polite and frieny and the bed was better than we thought. The evening meal was lovely! We will definitely be booking again next time we're staying in Southampton.

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

What made our stay was the receptionist who checked us in -...

No Wi-fi connection on the 6th floor, I dont know for the other floors. As well - why pay for the parking, even more - almost empty all the time ?

What made our stay was the receptionist who checked us in - Gary! Very polite and friendly, he gave us the best customer service, which we received through our whole stay for 3 days! Thank you Gary!

Premier Inn Southampton a Good Option
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Range of dishes on the evening menu in the restaurant were quite dated and nearly all bar a couple included BBQ sauce, what if guests do not like BBQ sauce? The restaurant needs to update the menu and use some more exciting healthier ingredients in their offerings of dishes, including side salads etc., I have bought better in the supermarket.

Room, very comfortable, lovely bedding. Breakfast was very good.

Fantastic service
    • Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

More vegetarian options in the hot food section of breakfast would be nice

The staff were all fantastic, the beds were comfy and the room was clean. Nice big bath too.

• Reviewed: 25 December 2016

Good and bad

We did not have any wi-fi during our stay. That was a big disappointment especially as we were on the top floor.

We liked being close to the town centre. The staff were really friendly.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

Good location, comfy bed.

There was no free WiFi. No safe in room. The trains rumbling by on the tracks right outside my room.

Size of the room. Comfortable bed. Friendly staff. Central Location.

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

Had a very enjoyable stay, great location and well presented.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Very handy location, we walked to lots of places, railway station very handy. Found the bar and restaurant very convenient after a busy day sightseeing.

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

A very comfortable four night stay.
    • Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Bed very comfortable. Breakfast offered great choice & as much as we wanted, set us up for the day! Towels changed every day. Hotel immaculate.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

Free wi-fi is very very slow and one needs to pay for better...
    • Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Free wi-fi is very very slow and one needs to pay for better connection. I am used to have high speed connection free for the price I payed for the room.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

The checking in and out process was excellent, very quick...

Free parking would have been ideal. Although still fairly cheap, I feel it should be free for guests with a car.

The checking in and out process was excellent, very quick indeed. The key cards to access the room and lifts was also superior to others used before.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Go to the other premier inn
    • Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The breakfast wasn't very good, very bland and was always running out. The room was noisy as right next to the train line, the wifi didn't work and the car park is tiny, because if this we had to spend a fortune to park somewhere else!

The room was a fair size, the staff try to help with things but there isn't much they can do about the negatives here

• Reviewed: 3 December 2016

don't go in cold weather!
    • Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

Staff at reception;rubbish! the room was cold and I asked them for a blanket, as heating failed to work, never got blanket had to put towels and coat on the bed! not good

Location and the staff in the restaurant are very very good

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

The receptionist was really helpful and polite.
    • Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

A group of females were shouting and arguing on the 5th floor, shouting and banging doors which went on for a long time. They behaviour was not challenged

The receptionist was really helpful and polite. The car park attendant was also really helpful

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

Premier Inn,New Road,Southampton.

Double glazing not good enough,and as the railway line run just outside,plus a road,it was noisy at night.Not a good nights sleep.

Room very comfortable,good facilities,clean bathroom etc.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

very good and would stay with premier again

no disrespect to anyone in particular but there was a bit of a language problem. staff explaining things which was a problem but we managed ok.

happy all round

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Staff v helpful.

Would have liked more food choice for my poor gluten intolerant husband. Longer hanging space for my posh frock.

Staff v helpful. Bed v comfy.Location great.Great tv and great position

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Good location - Great value

Had to wait several minutes and ask several times for the food to be replenished at breakfast - Staff handling the food with bare hands!

Staff on check in very helpful and friendly - Room was clean and comfortable - On site parking good value.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

great staff and good location near a park
    • Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

shame there wasnt a play area for kids and the bed wasnt changed after there was dirt on it the next day. also we all found the bed very uncomfortable

the staff were great and always friendly and helpful

great value and comfort at Southampton Premier Inn

toddler running around at all hours overhead, and food available in the building would be great

Room was big, warm and really comfy. I loved the big telly and the nice view.

Quality nights sleep ! 😴
    • Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Nothing , all was perfect for my needs.

Quality bedding , comfiest bed by far in all the hotels I've stayed in !! Perfect for a short stay. I was in transit looking for a self contained holiday apartment after my previous place had to be cancelled due to bad location and 2 nights of no sleep !!!

OUTSTANDING HOME AWAY FROM HOME
    • Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Check-In. Somewhat very slow, and the male representative was really not friendly, never smiling or saying anything other than whats your name? Often no one was at the front desk for long periods of time, and I attempted one call from my room to the front desk and no one ever answered. I hung up. Check out was a totally different experience. Female representative very attentive, offer suggestions, and thanks for staying with us, hope to see you again. Very customer service oriented.

The bed, room was great, and a real surprise for the value for money. I was extremely surprise at the restaurant Thyme. The food and service outstanding.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

On the whole good
    • Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Our room was really cold and the central heating wasn't working. We were really cold on the first night, for the second night they bought in a heater, which made it more comfortable

The breakfast was good value

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

perfect place to stay.

No complaints.

We had exactly what was described in the advert. The staff on reception were really polite and extremely helpful. Would recommend the Premier Inn to all my friends and acquaintances.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Very good, well worth a stay
    • Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Dont go for a room overlooking the rail line, can sometimes be noisy

Location, food and staff. The older gentleman serving was very attentive and professional, even remembered what I drunk after only one visit. He is in the wrong Hotel!

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

calm in the city

All good.

V comfortable room, clean, large wall-mounted tv, good pillows and quiet despite size of hotel and city centre location. There was a bar and restaurant too and the lifts were in good order. It felt safe with security measures in place.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Great hotel to stay night before a cruise from Southampton

Paying for the car park

Staff were very friendly, room was clean and modern and the bed very comfortable,evening meal and breakfast were excellent, will definately stay again, thanks

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

Great Location but not the best PI I have stayed in!
    • Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Restaurant/bar not the best Premier Inn I have stayed at and the breakfast one of the mornings was not Premier's standard - everything was over cooked. They ran out of Full bottles of Prosecco on my 2nd night and when I mentioned getting one chilled for the following night they just said no more due until Monday ... Premier Inn West Quay just down the road I am sure they could have sourced some when a guest has specifically requested it! Not a major issue but let themselves down on customer satisfaction there.

The bed - love Premier Inn beds! Location excellent for purpose of my trip - needing to get to West Quay to shop and Spire Hospital for my daughter

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Hot but comfy stay

Air conditioning not working properly. Very hot in room, made sleeping difficult. Reported to reception but maintenance not working until Monday when we checked out.

Great location. Very friendly staff, we had problem with air con and when reported again at check out ,she gave us sleep guarantee refund for one night. We did not expect that so thank you.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

The helpful staff raise this above average
    • Double Room - Disability Access

The parking is very cramped. The hotel backs onto the railway line so is noisy.

The beds are certainly comfortable and the staff were all friendly and very helpful.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Nice hotel
    • Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The breakfast options were very limited. First time in my life I did not find cheese or ham at a hotel breakfast even in uk.

The room was spacious and the location was great!

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

A most enjoyable experience.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

The automated check in system. It was low down and difficult to read the lower details. The member of staff who had to assist me was however very good. I want to be welcomed by a person and not a machine.

The hotel was first class, the food was excellent. The staff were both polite and helpful in every way, particularly Keith in the restaurant who attended to us in an exemplary manner. We shall certainly recommend the hotel to friends and family.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Wonderful Stay

No room service or to help me to match to my needs.

The breakfast was short, I couldn't get any breakfast because I have epilepsy and seizures every morning, I couldn't move out of the room until afternoon, as my epilepsy would worn out, I couldn't get a little room service as to help my needs. But I did like that they let me to check out a hour later than normal.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

Not located at City Centre
    • Quad Room (2 Adults & 2 Children)

Location is far from city centre and train station. Should have stayed at the one at West Quay instead. But since this one is named Premier Inn city centre, thought it should be better located. It's in a remote and quiet area, did not feel too safe. Restaurant located on 5/f is not too ideal!

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Very h

A rather grumpy manager/ waiter in the restaurant!

Lovely big room very quiet and an excellent restaurant where we had a delicious meal!

Very happy would stay again

Walking to town was easy, cruise terminal only a short taxi ride as was the train station

cost and location

cost and location

My room was spacious and comfortable and I enjoyed my breakfast.

I liked having a cheese omelette specially cooked for me.

Lovely stay and the food in the restaurant was excellent would definitely stay again

Very helpful staff

Overall an excellent stay. Would stay here again

Looked a bit shabby from the outside

Very comfy bed. A great nights sleep

Overall very good, would stay there again.

More help with wifi

My tablet could not be connected to their free wifi for some reason.

It was exactly as the advert said
    • Triple Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Parking was a little short

It was exactly as the advert said

The wide choice for breakfast, extremely comfortable beds...

n/a

The wide choice for breakfast, extremely comfortable beds and cleanliness

Value and location