Reviews of St James Hotel & Club Mayfair 5 stars

7 - 8 Park Place, Westminster Borough, London, SW1A 1LP, United Kingdom

#214 of 977 hotels in London

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

A very pleasant stay in a brilliant location

nothing comes to mind.

Bed was great, bathroom spotless. airconditioning was okay, coffee in room was fine, room was quiet. staff were always helpful.

Location, Location, Location - and very good staff
    • Executive Room

I've been here a few times before. The location of this hotel is the best you will find. The staff are excellent and very accommodating. The rooms are a little smaller than I'd like, but I think that's not uncommon for central London. It's my hotel of choice when I'm in London.

As always, staying at the St. James is a treat. I look forward to my next visit!!
    • Superior Room

I moved rooms because I was on the ground floor and I like to keep the windows open. The upper floors are my preference...

I love staying at this Hotel! Next time I’m hoping my room will be larger!

Location worked well for visits to stores on Piccadilly and...
    • Superior Room

As reported by others -dark room no view on lower first floor, useless aircon-no chilled air at all -kept windows open to get thru the night and put up with the noise of machinery behind the hotel so that the cooler air could get in -all reported during stay at 1730hrs no action taken by the team . Will not use again.

Location worked well for visits to stores on Piccadilly and theatre on Denmark street.

A lovely night spent here for my husbands 40th birthday.
    • Superior Room

I wish they had some outside space to sit and have a drink! That would have been perfect.

Loved the room and the bar. The bed was super comfy! The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Nice hotel, with great staff, but pricey for room size.
    • Superior Room

Size of room. Value for money? Like many hotels in cities, no it isn't. 'Superior Room' is small, to put it mildly, so I don't want to stay in whatever it's superior to!

Lovely hotel, friendly very helpful staff. Location off the main drag, but close enough to walk to many interesting London sites.

Rooms were lovely and location was great.
    • Superior Room

Breakfast was slow and so arrives stone cold. It’s also ridiculously expensive, £10 for 2 cold poached eggs is crazy. Also the reception staff tried to charge us for the rooms again as we checked out, even though we’d already paid.

Rooms were lovely and location was great.

One of the best experiences I’ve ever had with a hotel!

Nothing at all!

One of the best experiences I’ve ever had with a hotel! I highly recommend staying at the St James...and plan to do so next time we visit London.

Good location,within walking distance from Piccadilly circus...
    • Superior Room

Chair beside the window was small for 2 persons(In the picture of the room in Booking.com,there was large sofa...).But It was not big problem.I highly recommend this hotel!

Good location,within walking distance from Piccadilly circus and Buckingham Palace.Staff was excellent!They were gentle and helpful.Room was not modern but very clean. Bath room was excellent.Big bath tab.Quality of bath towels were very high.

Excellent hotel
    • Superior Room

Lovely hotel , welcoming staff. Got upgraded to an executive room which was amazing . The bed was really comfortable. Would recommend it fir quietness and location too

A great place to stay for our family celebration.
    • Superior Room

Great position by Green Park - love the little shortcut alley and close to Palace. Rooms very pleasant, staff a real asset. Very comfortable and personal. We had 3 rooms on the '1st floor' and we all loved the experience.

impeccable knowledge and taste, beautifully situated, well run
    • Deluxe Room

Concierge incredible, Madelaine was an exceptionally kind and knowledgable person who made our stay! Everything beautiful, room a good size. Perfectly situated, clean, tastefully decorated. Just perfect

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Not a peaceful experience
    • Superior Room

We've stayed here several times before and we've always been happy but the room we were given on this occasion was very noisy and meant we were woken up very early in the morning and kept awake with doors opening and closing and conversation, presumably from the nearby reception. It was the same for both nights we stayed despite pointing this out after the first night.

The staff are very helpful and very pleasant.

• Deluxe Room

The rooms we were given. The first room was next to the kitchen and the hotels airconditioning units on the LOWER ground floor ( noisy and smelt of food)and of course absolutely no view. This room should not be classed as deluxe. When asked to be moved, the staff were helpful but our choice of rooms were either smaller on an upper level or back down to a larger bedroom with a tiny bathroom on the lower ground floor. It’s such a shame because our previous stays had been enjoyable.

We like the location.

Incredible Experience
    • Superior Room

It was all superb despite being twice what I usually spend on a business trip to London.

10/10 For Everything. Fantastic room. Great breakfast (best eggs benedict ever tasted) Quick quick in Excellent concierge, no question to much trouble.

Perfect spot close to all the activities but down a quiet cul-de-sac. A return visit soon.

Nothing!!

Lovely room, Fab bed, great bath to soak in with luxury toiletries. Attention to detail from all the staff was fantastic. You were made to feel welcome.

A cozy small boutique hotel with easy access to everything
    • Superior Room

sound proof ( food lorry came to deliver early and cause noise)

staff is attentive( reception, cocerige) room is well renovated in a historical building close to Interesting points and shopping area. breakfast is tasty.

First Class all the Way
    • Executive Room

We were thrilled to be upgraded to a front facing suite for our 2nd visit to the St James in 3 years. Everything is first class, the atmosphere, decor, staff and food/drink. Location is perfect, near parks, shopping, Mayfair, with a back exit directly to the park and Buckingham Palace.

Can't wait for the opportunity to return to the St James Hotel and Club
    • Superior Room

selection of pillows to choose from

the food was amazing staff went way above to assist with any need location central with easy access will long remember the meal at your michelin star restaurant definitely one of the highlights of our holiday

I love the place, but next time will check the room before accepting it.
    • Superior Room

First time in my life I saw the shower located upper than the room, so water was just streaming to the floor and carpet. Curtains are too short and do no create darkness in the night. No tea kettle, neither tea cups in the room :(

Small and friendly place to stay. Great staff, next morning they already remembered my name and the room number, and very-very good bar with the atmosphere and reach wine list.

Great boutique luxury hotel in a perfect location for folks...
    • Superior Room

Great boutique luxury hotel in a perfect location for folks who like to walk a city. My kids are teenagers and were perfectly happy with this hotel, but little kids would likely not find much to their liking. No kiddie facilities or programs, in other words. I would recommend this hotel unreservedly to any business or leisure traveler looking for something small and a bit out of the way (it's tucked into a cul de sac) while still being near to all the good stuff.

We've stayed in better for value, service and location.
    • Superior Room

Our room had no working air conditioning. You could tell as soon as you walked in the room. After telling the bellhop and 2 subsequent calls to the front desk, the manager trolls up an hour later with a 'portable air conditioner' and apologises that the hotel is full and this the best they can do. His attempted humour stating "you're lucky it wasn't last week with the hotter weather"; let's just say that went down a treat buddy. The so called portable air conditioning unit stood nearly 2 metres high and a metre wide. I asked, "Where does the hot air get expelled?" He said that it's all contained in the unit. Upon further inspection, it's a dehumidifier that you have to pour water into. The unit blew out old cigarette smells and as far as the decibel volume, wow. I was then offered another excuse that the whole 4th floor was out. Liar; seems the air conditioning was working perfectly in the hallway. Now I know things go wrong and apologies aside, they offered us nothing in compensation for the problem. No room discount, no drink, no food, no zip ! We even requested a later checkout and had to wait until morning for it to be approved. Another problem to watch out for is the toilet in the bathroom. It's raised on a step that juts out further than the toilet seat edge. Nearly broke my toe early in the morning. As far as the location of the hotel, take it or leave it. Didn't float our boat. Mind you, the 2 negronis we got in the alley down the road cost us $60AUD. One drink was enough.

The bar area looked very classy, but was empty every time we walked past.

Needs ergonomic beds and badly needs sound-proofing for street noise
    • Superior Room

Bed very uncomfortable. Too soft. My wife will take weeks to recover the full use of her back. Very noisy rooms. No double glazing / sound insulation to the exterior, and garbage trucks and other heavy vehicles pass through the narrow street at all hours of the night, including incredibly noisy and prolonged garbage collection at 5:30 a.m. Sunday morning. Restaurant not particularly inviting and needs to be more open.

Service was fine - as to be expected in a hotel of this grade, quality and price. Location cannot be beaten.

BREAKFAST DISSAPOINTING
    • Superior Room

I spoke with the manager post breakfast. We all arrived and the staff simply could not cope. Cooked Food ran out and no coordination. Shame. As this was my birthday breakfast with my family Otherwise a nice place

• Deluxe Room

Parking was so much money.! Nobody told us it would be so much we weren't even told where the car was. We couldn't use the rooftop terrace apparently which was one of my main reasons for booking it. A lot of money for something so middle of the road

The girl behind the bar was very welcoming and sweet.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Lovely boutique hotel
    • Executive Room

They added a non compulsory charge to the bill without telling us or explaining.

Lovely boutique hotel with easy walking distance to shops and Hyde park. Great room and service with a nice terrace outlook. Helpful staff.

Outstanding hotel
    • Superior Room

Room service food was ok, nothing special yet expensive

The service quality was outstanding and the flexibility and attention was beyond my expectations

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Wonderful quiet hotel in a very central location
    • Deluxe Room

The TV did not have all the channels working, something which could not be fixed in 24 hours.

Excellent location, quiet but very central and in walking distance to many great spots. The room was comfortable, the bed very large and professional service was to a high level of attention.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Great 4 days in London at St. James

The free "Handy" cell phone to use was a great touch I've never had before but it was rather slow so I didn't use it that much.

Very close the Green Park tube station using the "secret" back door. Close to Piccadilly and lots of shopping, food, etc. Very comfortable room ( Junior Suite on the first floor ). Felt very homey yet modern enough. Nice bar/cafe onsite and lounge. Kind of tucked away just off the main cross street made it very quiet and peaceful. It you wanted more hustle and bustle, just a couple blocks away. Close to Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square and numerous sites other as well. Within 1/2 mile was a Post Office we used to send home goodies and a Tesco market. I would definitely stay here again.

breakfast included would have been better, and couple of the...
    • Deluxe Room

breakfast included would have been better, and couple of the hooks were actually not available. Baloney room and the roof top bar. Was told the roof top bar was private only and that the balcony rooms are only if available. The room was fine and we slept well. There was however a large machine outside of the bathroom that had a loud industrial sound 24 hours a day. Was good that the bathroom separated the noise from the sleeping area. The location is really good, and we did enjoy our stay.

Lovely hotel, if you get the right room!
    • Deluxe Room

Too hot,room air conditioner not working, couldn't open window as outside air conditioning units very loud, dark room

Great restaurant, comfy beds, great location

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Ideally located in central London.
    • Superior Room

Ideally located in central London. We could walk to every major touristic landmark. Hotel staff is very friendly and willing to help with anything. Room is decorated with taste. The bed was extremely comfortable.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

Home from home experience.

Nothing to dislike.

Very friendly staff from the moment we arrived until departure. Excellent location. We stay in many hotels and this is one to return to.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

A little gem in the heart of the city
    • Superior Room

No adapter - none were also available at reception, though they managed to find one the next day. Breakfast not recommended- definately not value pre money, better to go to Cecconi's

Perfect location, very quiet side-street 3 minutes away from The Ritz- amazing area for retsraunts and art-lovers. Friendly staff. The entrance price rooms are extremely small- opt for the bigger ones if you want to open your suitcase )

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Parents had an absolutely fantastic overnight stay and would definitely like to return
    • Deluxe Room

The stay was booked for my parents as a Christmas gift, we chose to do this on the date of there wedding anniversary which I notified them off. On arrival the hotel very kindly upgraded them from a deluxe room to a suite. Thank you so much for making there stay such a delight.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

Location good. Place average. Poor food options + rubbish breakfast.
    • Superior Room

Rubbish breakfast. Poor selection. Had to pay extra for eggs and some salmon + 7 salmon 12£ for 3 eggs.. ridiculously rubbish 'continental' didn't want any of it. They also took another holding deposit of 100£ didn't tell me. Still haven't put money back in account despite paying cash. And advising I'll pay cash on entry. NO NOTICE OF HOLDING MORE MONEY IN BANK. Very poor. Ordered tea to the room. Hour and a half went by. Rang up. Obviously forgot and did it again.

Rubbish breakfast.

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

Perfect hotel for a beautiful stay in Central London

nothing to complain

The location of the hotel is wonderful. The hotel is a boutique one, so the rooms are nice but not very spacious. Very convenient the distance from the tube station (green park). The room was very clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

AMAZING GEM in London's Mayfair neigborhood
    • Deluxe Room

The only thing I would have added is tea kettle in the room.

This hotel was by far the best I have ever stayed in London. The room was pristine, linens gorgeous, overall quality 5 Star! The location can't be beat, right off Piccadilly without all the noise, as its on a private back street. The staff were very friendly, and super helpful, as I arrived in the morning quite early and they were able to accommodate an early check in. AMAZING!

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Not worth the money
    • Deluxe Room

Very small room & very dark lights Almost no storage place !!! ( maximum 3-4 shirts) , I had to keep most of my stuff inside my luggage In most of the rooms NO shower handset As it was important for me, I requested to change room and was told to wait at the room and that in 5 minutes a staff member will come to assist, but came after 40 minutes I waited at the room. At the breakfast I ordered a veterinarian omelet and asked specifically for no bacon but after the first bite I understood that bacon is one of my omelet ingredients

Great location !

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

A lovely hotel but choose your room wisely
    • Superior Room

The room was way too hot and we were in the coldest weekend of the year, even the air conditioning couldn't cool it sufficiently to be comfortable. I couldn't leave the window open as our room was near the air conditioning units and it was too noisy.

The location is great, the hotel is stylish, superb friendly staff, excellent restaurant.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

St James London

We booked a junior suite and when reached found it too small so paid an extra 500GBP to upgrade to St James Suite.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Concierge Toni and Emanuel were so helpful. Special thanks to all staff members as they are a superb team.

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

Will undoubtedly return if they have bigger rooms
    • Superior Room

size of the room was VERY very small, we ordered room service once and the waiter could not enter the room with his tray !

very comfortable bed, great location for both business and shopping, nice breakfast

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

Skip breakfast which is like a scene out of 'Fawlty...
    • Deluxe Room

Skip breakfast which is like a scene out of 'Fawlty Towers' - the second day after waiting for an hour to receive our cooked breakfast we just got up and left. The table behind us had similar problems and received the wrong order three times and it was still wrong. Other tables seem to be experiencing similar problems. It is a pity that this experience clouds the wonderful warm welcome we received .The bar is expensive before they add on 12.5% service charge .

Great stay for New Years
    • Superior Room

We had to get rid of the limescale on the shower head and the heating didn't work properly

The bed was very comfy, the location was perfect for what we wanted, the staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was really good

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

good location for shopping and sightseeing, but too small and expensive for comfort and pocket!
    • Superior Room

Several years ago I used to stay at St. James on business, sole occupancy, but had forgotten the rooms where so small and for two persons, room 407 was rather akin to a cabin on one of the better cruise liners. For example there was no room to pass between the bed and someone sitting at the dressing table. The bathrooms are little more than a closet and in our case the shower head sprayed water outside the bath and flooded the floor. Moreover, I am in my 70's and find showers situated in baths problematical. Comfort was therefore sadly lacking and not conducive to a relaxed stay which one would anticipate in an high end expensive hotel.

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

Would come back here in a heartbeat!
    • Superior Room

Wonderful bistro atmosphere and food in the evening as well as for breakfast. They made fabulous soups, salads, fish and actually had amazing gluten free rolls for dinner! The size of the room was very comfortable and the bed was super comfy. Everything was clean, tidy and attractive.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Location is great.

We booked a junior suite and were a bit disappointed that there was no coffee/tea station in the room. Also, the room was cold.

Location is great. Room was clean, tastefully decorated and furnished and bed was really comfy. Staff is very friendly and attentive. Nice breakfast.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

Excellent stay! Great location and stuff
    • Executive Room

The shower is a little strange... just one negative point, which is suit an important one.... very uncomfortable to take a shower, with out having a removable part.

We loved the coziness and the location. The qualified stuff and easy was of arranging.

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

Nice boutique hotel in a good location
    • Deluxe Room

somewhere to sit and chill/work the only place is the bar or bedroom, a small library room or something similar would be good. the desk in the room is small and the TV was over it. But this is by no means a show stopper but a nice to have.

comfortable and quiet room, friendly and attentive staff, easy to get around the west end from here

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Great location - ROOM for improvement
    • Superior Room

Room (Executive) too small - windows to the yard not designed to open so no fresh air, only aircon (noisy). Quirking floor. In spite of perfect bed the claustrofobic framework and the noise issues as well as lack of proper curtains to keep out the morning sun light AND a gap between door and floor allowing bright light to enter from the hall way the room was never really dark and never really tranquil. So although the room would look great on a photo, I truely hated it.

The bed, the duvettes! Perfect location Quaglinos and great sushi restaurant within 200 meters

Luxury in London
    • Superior Room

Nothing, it was perfect for what we wanted, a pampered break in central London with very professional and friendly staff.

We liked everything, St James is a top class hotel with a top class feel.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Comfortable stay.
    • Deluxe Room

Lack of facilities. But as a business traveler, it doesn't matter.

Friendly staff. They managed to check me in earlier than usual. They acknowledged the sense of urgency. Many nice restaurants nearby.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Good boutique hotel, great restaurant
    • Superior Room

Misleading information. Gym is not on the premises and only accessible during week not week-end. Breakfast is not 18 pounds as stated on booking.com. It is 28.

Bed was fabulous and the shower, restaurant too.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Position and free room upgrade

Position and free room upgrade

Fabulous
    • Deluxe Room

Outstanding. Always our first choice for staying in london

Restaurant, bar
    • Superior Room

Room / bathroom was on the small side

Restaurant, bar

in the centre

in the centre

What a great hotel, great staff, great location!

Going home

What a great hotel, great staff, great location!

A very comfortable stay in a fantastic location.
    • Superior Room

The continental breakfast was excellent.

Expensive

Very expensive

As per what I paid, i could have gotten a better choice.

Every thing!
    • Superior Room

Every thing! Service, food & location.

Breakfast not taken
    • Superior Room

Nice shower could be improved with grab rail

Breakfast not taken

A really lovely stay in a beautiful hotel
    • Superior Room

Warm and friendly staff, made me feel special

• Superior Room

An oasis of calm in a hectic city

Brilliant hotel

Central London fun party hotel

The hangover!

The roof bar at the ME hotel is awesome

Better value than Dukes or Stanford with similar accommodation

Quirky room layout

Very pleasant staff

Unfortunately it was only for one night
    • Superior Room

Outstanding hotel. Staff very very helpful. Every time we go to London we will stay at St James's

addiquate
    • Superior Room

very small room with only on small window with frosted glass no view outside-- clostraphobic

The food wasn't a favorite

The food wasn't a favorite

Breakfast.
    • Superior Room

Breakfast. They cant cope with large numbers

Classy small hotel in the heart of London
    • Superior Room

Small rooms, Michelin star restaurant dining room fully booked for the duration of our stay

Great location in Mayfair

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Great experience. Staff knew who I was. Great Location. Beautiful bathroom and bedroom
    • Deluxe Room

Boutique Luxurious hotel. Staff, and great location.

Comfortable hotel in prime location.

The price of breakfast.

The location of the hotel was excellent.

Customer service
    • Executive Room

Limited food options and facilities in the hotel

Customer service