Reviews of St Martins Lane 5 stars

45 St Martin's Lane, Westminster Borough, London, WC2N 4HX, United Kingdom

#101 of 977 hotels in London

Great stay in the center of London
    • Deluxe

Location was very central - a lot of traffic coming in and going out Soaps as Shampoo in the shower were not that good

Great hotel, central location. Very comfortable bed and friendly and helpful staff.

The location was excellent, the standard room was larger...
    • Standard

We thought it was expensive, even by London standards, and would have looked for something more cost effective if it wasn’t a last minute trip.

The location was excellent, the standard room was larger than expected and the facilities were good

Nice clean spot in a great location for exploring the west...
    • Standard

What is with the ridiculously dark bar and the odd ball seating/access arrangements ? Walk in to be told they’d check if I can have a seat (it’s all but empty) - to be told I could have the two seats in a dark corner (whilst the rest of the much nicer area remained empty throughout ) - the following night I could have a seat at the empty party table but if a party came in I’d have to give it up ... yes a resident would need to move aside if a party came in ? Genuinely the oddest bar I’ve ever been in over 36 countries and certainly the oddest way I’ve been treated as a hotel paying guest in their “bar” - bar way too pretentious for its own good.

Nice clean spot in a great location for exploring the west end - a many time visitor

A beautiful hotel, with friendly, smiling staff in a great location close to everything.
    • Superior Queen Room

Would be nice if there was dancing in the speak easy bar.

The staff were amazing. Very friendly and accommodating and helpful. I felt that they were always aware of my presence and said hello and were ready and willing to lend a hand or to answer any of my questions. Great experience.

The room was clean, very functional with both shot and...
    • Superior Queen Room

Bed was a double but there seems to be enough room for at least a queen maybe even a king

The room was clean, very functional with both shot and separate tub and toilet in its own room, liked the door separating sleeping are from hall and washroom. Location is fantastic! Walking distance to almost every where, except Tower of London

Excellent location, just a short walk from underground.
    • Superior Double Double Room

Excellent location, just a short walk from underground. Lovely hotel and would definitely return. Staff were excellent, all very welcoming and friendly.

Hotel needs renovation desperately
    • Superior Queen Room

The deco looking very old and tired - really need to renovate desperately No gym - have to go to next door and opens at 10 pm at weekends - unacceptable for modern travelers.

Location. Good choice for breakfast

We had a wonderful long weekend ...everything was perfect !
    • Superior Queen Room

Very well designed rooms . Comfortable bed with lovely linen. Amazing location; so central with a great selection of bars and restaurants. Very helpful staff who were friendly and knowledgeable.

One of my favorite hotels in London, beautiful modern rooms,...
    • Deluxe with Garden

One of my favorite hotels in London, beautiful modern rooms, great service, and rooms are exceptionally quite compared to other hotels in London. The staff was friendly and helpful throughout the stay. Thank you!

Best location in Londo, The beautiful Covant Garden and spacious clean rooms.

Great location! Staff was fun and very helpful and incredibly honest! We left all our cash in the room when we checked out and they found me and made arrangements to get it to me in Oxford. Semina went above and beyond to accommodate us. You can literally walk to all the major attractions in 30 minutes or less. Trust me driving in London is expensive and time consuming, being able to walk everywhere is so worth it. The rooms were also very spacious. Ask for a higher floor.

Fantastic highly recommend
    • Deluxe

Fabulous central location. Superbly attentive staff. Stylish decor. Relaxed atmosphere. Quiet spacious room with no noise from inside or outside the hotel. Cool lighting. Comfortable bed. Good bathroom with nice big tub, shower and lots of space. Great dressing area with plenty room for two.

This is what service should be.
    • Superior Queen Room

Personally, I find the Leicester Square area too crowded. And one minor design issue: I do like a door on my bathroom, instead of just on the shower and toilet area.

this is a truly well-run hotel in the heart of London. Very close to many sites and transportation. But what makes it excellent is the wonderful staff who are immediately responsive to needs and special requests. Not a grumpy face or a snippy reply the entire stay. This applies to housekeeping, restaurant, room service and maintenance.

Absolutely everything, room was perfect with lovely...
    • Standard

Absolutely everything, room was perfect with lovely comfortable bed and fantastic shower. Loved the modern design and the hotels location within covent garden. Hotel staff were really friendly and attentive. Breakfast was really good. Will definitely be going back.

Staff very friendly.
    • Superior Queen Room

Random room cleaning and turning down bed. No replacement of used body lotion etc

Staff very friendly. Best position in London for walking to shows and catching the tube or buses.

Well pampered stay
    • Deluxe

Not much desk space to write on. Fridge is always packed with hotel drinks so not enough space to put in our own

Loved the bed and pillows. Room cleaned regularly and always immaculate. Very helpful staff. Umbrella supplied in the room..very useful during the rainy days.

Location, Rooms, Staff.... A new favourite
    • Standard

Excellent location to everything required for a weekend trip. Staff very helpful & the facilities are second to none. The rooms are fantastic and inspiring through minimalism. A new personal favourite, will be back soon!

Great modern hotel in a great location for the theater district
    • Deluxe

The noise from the main floor bar/restaurant was intense most of the day. The view from our room was fair - we had requested a room on a high floor with a nice view, and we were disappointed with that.

Wedding Anniversary weekend
    • Standard

The breakfast is a bit pricey!

The bed was really comfy, the cocktail bar had a nice atmosphere and check in was really easy and the hotel is a 2 minute walk to Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden. My husband and I went back to St Martins Lane Hotel for our 1 year wedding anniversary and the staff very kindly upgraded our room, gave us complimentary prosecco and a bottle of wine in our room. We were very happy with our stay.

Perfect hotel in a perfect location
    • Deluxe

Beautifull hotel well designed , espacialy we liked our room on level 1 with a small patio, very clean,with a spacial lighting efects , all the stuff very hepfull , there is a very good and nice bar with a d.j playing good music ( adge 40 +) , Picadilly, soho,Regent, Oxford . Musiumes , theater ,and of course covent garden are all in a walking dectance , for 5 days we used only once the Tub

Ok but wouldn't stay again. Bit too pretentious for us..
    • Superior Queen Room

Room was sparse, couldn't close the blinds and there was a blue light under the TV that you had to unplug to turn off, no door to the bathroom with full height Windows oposit, although it looked funky it wasn't very practical.

Great location, comfortable bed.

Perfect and well needed
    • Standard

Car park is expensive - and if you go over it really tops up. Typical London but would be nice to see a hotel change that

Having gym box next door was amazing! Perfect for my girlfriend and I. Starbucks over the road was so convenient.

A perfect night to spend with your partner.
    • Standard

I loved everything, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Everything was amazing! The staff were extremely welcoming and were happy to help with any query. The room was spotless and the garden patio and lighting in the rooms were perfect. I loved staying here.

Our favourite place to stay in London....perfection.
    • Deluxe with Garden

Absolutely nothing to report, we love this hotel and look forward to our next visit very soon.

Where to start? Amazing quirky decor, super friendly and efficient staff (arranged early as possible check in for us with a smile), fantastic bedroom with garden, absolutely nothing too much trouble.

We stayed in a corner studio room.
    • Deluxe

We requested and got a non smoking room but a previous guest obviously smoked because the matress stunk like an ashtray. We requested them to change it which reception said would happen......instead they sprayed a little air freshener on it. Not acceptable at £300 per night One other point to consider, the theater opposite did an all night stage change and at 5am Easter Sunday it was noisy (I’m understanding it....)

We stayed in a corner studio room. Great central location close to the best parts of London. Pretty cool vibe in the hotel

Restaurant had great food.
    • Standard

Cleanliness was lacking. Napkin from restaurant had gum from someone else in it. Room seemed very basic, but with interesting lighting system.

Restaurant had great food. Speakeasy was a lot of fun

Light bright rooms with good views into next door opera...
    • Deluxe

Stylish entrance but hard surfaces made this a noisy environment. It was difficult for older people to hear the receptionist and staff. Narrow low ceilinged corridors and rather souless decor now feels a bit dated. A bit over priced.

Light bright rooms with good views into next door opera house. Clean and smart. Great shower. Helpful staff. Comfortable.

Good value in a great location
    • Deluxe

We ate breakfast elsewhere as it was quite underwhelming on our last stay, especially considering it's cost. It's a minor inconvenience though given the location and the fantastic options available within a few minutes walk.

Excellent value for money, great location, much larger rooms than other similarly priced hotels we've stayed at in town and despite the central location, lovely and quiet.

Amazing, and lovely
    • Deluxe with Garden

The room rate is a kinda of high (expensive)

The location was perfect, the design of the room, lobby, and the hotel overall is amazing. I would defently come back again

Over all we had a pleasant stay.
    • Superior Double Double Room

Porter service on check out wasn’t as friendly and he left our shopping bags and suitcases in the middle of the pavement for the taxi driver. He returned inside reception without any help or word. No views from the bedroom. A brick wall and windows across.

Comfy beds and large bedroom.

Nice hotel in a great location with comfy room
    • Standard

Price of mini bar and room service. Also not being able to drink in the bar as weren’t told we needed to book.

Atmosphere and decore really nice. Spacious bathroom with good powerful shower

Great service, lovely restaurant and bar, I would return, but would not stay in the hotel.
    • Standard

Room size, no robes, by the time I was served room service my food was a bit cold. The food was very good it was just cold, and I need to have food piping hot!

I was a little disappointed with my stay at St Martins, however I suppose I had high expectations as I love the Sanderson, which is their sister hotel. The actual bar and restaurant is lovely, the decor in reception is quirky and beautiful, but the hotel room itself was not a reflection of this, and I wouldn't stay here again. I would return to the Bar and Restaurant, just not the hotel. The room in comparison to the Sanderson was a lot smaller, there were no robes, lighting was poor - I'm a woman, I need decent lighting to put makeup on! And generally the room just felt very compact.

Nice
    • Standard

The lady who was in charge of the reservation to the bar in the main lobby . She was very difficult and stuck up . She only my gave one word answers to my questions and done the very least to accommodate us . Very disappointed with her .

Good location/ high quality service/ cozy room
    • Superior Queen Room

1. Perfect location, few mins to Covent Garden/ Trafalgar Square and many landmark building in London. 2. Lots of Boutiques and restaurants are just around there. 3. Some of the rooms in this hotel are quite big than normal in London. 4. Staffs are professional in good manners.

Excellent stay
    • Deluxe

In a dreamworld checkout would be later...ö

Straff extremely helpful and professional, room very clean, even in hand to reach areas, breakfast service divine

• Superior Queen Room

Minimalist design to the rooms, thin walls meant we could hear people in corridor and other neighbours. Bed size seemed small for a queen bed.

Great location, easy check in, clean rooms

The location is really convinence!
    • Deluxe

The location is really convinence! The location is really great! It is just next to the Trafalgar Square. I upgraded the rome which has a garden, it is very good.

Great weekend made even better by the Hotel

The weather that's all.

I've stayed at most of the top hotels in London and none of them have the same feel and atmosphere as your Hotel. It made our week-end.

Every thing and more
    • Deluxe

Hi when we arrived we where made welcome straight away And as I had mentioned it was mine and my partners first time away. They only sent us a free bottle of preseco to the room courtesy of bellue I think the receptionist was called she was very helpful and was always making sure on the way out we knew where we was going and did we need taxi she was amazing and all the other staff thank you st martins we will be back

AIRY! CRISP! COOL! I REALLY LOVE THIS PLACE!
    • Deluxe

THERES NOTHING I DIDN'T LIKE!!

THE WINDOWS MAKE THIS SMASHING HOTEL VERY LIGHT AND AIRY. THE BEDS ARE BIG AND CRISPY WHITE AND ITS SPOTLESSLY CLEAN! PERFECT FOR MY OCD. LOL

Great thank you.
    • Standard

Reception area and bar/restaurant were really noisy when we arrived, and lounge was full, so nowhere available for a quiet chat with friends.

Great service, great rooms, super-convenient location for London Winter Run.

The whole process was just a bit disappointing, they were not friendly at all.
    • Deluxe

The breakfast was not nice,not lots of options. The staffs were not friendly at all.

They brought me a small cake and a proscesco to celebrate my birthday.

Not worth the price.
    • Standard

Despite asking for an early check in on arrival I was told no rooms ready, I sat and waited in reception and think I was forgotten about. No instructions in the room as to how to use the quirky features so not worthwhile. No biscuits with the tea/coffee. Had to move the kettle to plus it in. TV had no sound in second day.

Location was excellent

A short but wonderful stay in a fantastic location in the heart of London
    • Superior Queen Room

Well appointed contemporary style room and lobby in a perfect location. Staff could not do enough for us, including bringing a complimentary bottle of Prosecco to our room for our Anniversary. A very nice touch indeed. I would definitely come again!

Really pampered and looked after, as a single Mum travelling with a teenager this place was great
    • Superior Double Double Room

They forgot the dressing gowns in the room but this was rectified after a call

Service from staff went above and beyond, I was ill during my stay and nothing was too much trouble.

An ultra-cool failed experiment of a hotel
    • Deluxe

For anyone wanting comfort, pls AVOID this place. Incredibly tacky lighting making it look less of a comfortable bedroom and more like a cheap bar. Very poor furniture and fittings, no wardrobe, functionality compromised for design resulting in a very poor & non-functional outcome. Housekeeping twice barged in around 9pm even with a DND on the door because the DND signs are illegible even to their staff wanting to be 'uber-cool'.

Hardly anything to like here. I have stayed at hundreds of 5 star hotels globally and only 2 or 3 of those 200+ I have scored below 5. This is one of them. It is a poor, overly-designer-themed hodge-podge of a hotel that has no character, class or comfort. Poor lobby, cheap furnishings and non functional space. If you want comfort, avoid this hotel.

Lovely clean room.
    • Standard

Extra charges put on my card.. also money taken for items missing from the room that we didnt even have in there in the first place... a total 205 pound overcharged and 3-5 working days to get it back.

Lovely clean room...nice location and extremely friendly staff

Next time will reserve a table in the bars and stay on a different side of the hotel.
    • Standard

When the lights were on, the room was reflected through the large windows onto the glass panelling and windows of the opposite building, as were the adjacent rooms. As the room was quite small you could see yourself (and the neighbours) sitting on the bed (room 627). Also disappointing that we couldn't get into either bar at 10.30 at night, although we were able to take our cocktail into the Den

Beautiful lobby and Den. Fabulous cocktails.

Central hotel,very clean,excellent stuff.
    • Standard

I paid 400 euros per night (around New year) and had the cheapest room. Overpriced hotel.Have been in few 5 star hotels in central London and this was not better then any other.I could hear my neighbors opening,closing door,going to toilet... That is very strange for 5 star and so expensive hotel.I will not stay in the same hotel next time!

Central hotel,very clean,excellent stuff.Nice room

Great interior and surroundings staff amazing drinks...
    • Standard

We got a very good deal on the room otherwise it’s a little on expensive side but room worth every penny. Drinks in Asia de Cuba bar and exclusive bar very expensive

Great interior and surroundings staff amazing drinks although expensive were fabulous

Vetry enjoyable stay. I would definitely consider staying there again.
    • Deluxe

Some parts of the room were a little dusty but no great problem.

Breakfast was served till 11.30 which is comparitively late so ideal for those who like to sleep late! Atmosphere is friendly and polite but informal with mostly young staff.

Won’t return at that price. Way overpriced for what is provided.
    • Standard

For the price, room was quite small. I would also have expected bathrobes and slippers. Bathroom taps were difficult to turn. Almost impossible I imagine for those with arthritis.

Location was ideal for theatreland. Breakfast was good. Staff were good and friendly.

I used to love this hotel but after these incidents I am not sure will stay again.
    • Deluxe

I was stolen 300 USD from my room, unfortunately I have no way to prove it. Also a package that I am 100% was delivered, even confirmed by the concierge it was received but couldn't find it was lost, it had 200 GBP value in theatre tickets. I had to buy new theatre tickets because of this.

Hotel and staff are amazing as always. I had two incidents (stolen money from my room and lost package) I am affraid left me with a bad taste of my stay.

Perfectly positioned for Piccadilly, central London
    • Standard

Couldn’t think of anything I didn’t like.. really enjoyed the stay

Seemed Quite a private hotel and subtley lit.. various chill out areas, so you could move around and not really have to bump into lots of people. Although it seemed to have a lot of bedrooms, I didn’t really see many other guests. Stylish rooms with ambient adjustable lighting.. large bathroom and dressing area

Overpriced but comfortable
    • Superior Queen Room

It was definitely overpriced for what it was and a little difficult to find because aside from on the ground there is no signage.

Location is really good.

Hopping and up-scale.
    • Deluxe

Address and hotel name not very well marked to find (we passed it 3 times). Maybe a bit too hopping. Scented hallways.

Location. Very hopping, up-scale and modern.

Great service and beautiful rooms
    • Standard

Bathroom taps were so smooth & cool they had nothing to grip to turn them on or off. The design is more important than the function.

Great service and beautiful rooms

Just a wonderful day and night

Everything was perfect

Our room on this trip was on the sixth floor with views across the London skyline we had afternoon tea then of to a show at a nearby theatre Excellent location

not happy at all
    • Deluxe with Garden

the price i paid for the room i got was no where near any other hotels in this area i feal i was over charged or the staff put us in a lower grade room where i was charged for the upper grade room. i am a regular visitor to london and sad to say this was my worst time. top hotels like the Soho Hotel and Park Plazer Westminster were far cheaper and more comfortable.

staff were friendly

Out of 10 i'd give a 4
    • Deluxe

Had to wait nearly an hour for our room to be ready when I got told we could be in our room by 3, thus nearly missed what our plans were because we couldn't check in get washed and ready for what we had to do, the staff didn't really help us, they didn't ask for is when we were standing at reception, the nicest memeber of staff was the person who sent champagne up to our room

The mood lighting and bathroom

Excellent location right in the centre of everything needed
    • Superior Queen Room

This was my honeymoon hotel 12 years ago when I lived in London and the standards have been maintained ever since. Staff are friendly and helpful, rooms are spotless and the concierge impeccable

Cool place on top location
    • Standard

The breakfast is a bit mediocre.

Generally nice slightly trendy hotel on a top location, a bit overpriced due to high demand around Christmas, but good and recommendable place to stay.

Good, but won't rush back.
    • Standard

Room was tiny. Also missing small touches like robes and slippers. Sanderson and mondrian the sister hotels represent better value.

Great shower gel and other products.

Beautiful hotel, less than average rooms
    • Standard

The luxury of the lobby is disproportionate to the rooms. Very uncomfortable beds. The first room we were given was a horror in terms of cleanliness and comfort. We were accommodated with a second room that was much better but the street noise was quite bothersome.

Free handy phone provided is very useful Beautiful lobby Helpful staff Location!

Amazing quirky truly 5 star hotel in the best possible location
    • Studio

Beautiful comfortable bedroom, excellent quality bedlinen, staff could not be more helpful. Fabulous smoked salmon at breakfast and the Blind Spot cocktail experience is straight out of a James Bond movie. We have visited before and we will definitely be visiting again soon!

Its a nice stylish hotel, well positioned hotel.
    • Standard

Its a lovely hotel but not luxurious and comfortable. Element of style over substance.... Lighting in room not great for make up, no shaving mirrors! seating in lobby a tad hard.

Its a nice stylish hotel, well positioned hotel. Friendly staff.

Amazing!!
    • Superior Double Double Room

It was very disappointing that the cocktail bar was closed off for the night. That's our favourite cocktail bar and one of the reasons we like and booked the hotel

The beds and the ambiance of the room

It's a very nice hotel. Pretty straight forward. In a good location. I will definitely stay again.
    • Standard

Only think that may be lacking is the size of the room vs. the price you pay. I think this is a common issue amongst many hotels though.

I really like the style of the hotel. It was trendy, cool. The bar downstairs, Blind Spot had delicious drinks (recommend the Sydney or the Warsaw)

Nice, comfortable and relaxing stay but expensive.
    • Standard

The cost of the room. That we were unable to access the room until 3pm which was late given the time we traveled.

The room was very clean and comfortable, nice bathroom.

Excellent place to stay in the heart of London
    • Deluxe with Garden

I love the ambience of this hotel including my private little garden. The food at Asia de Cuba is exceptional. The atmosphere in the Blind Spot is easy. The location is in the heart of Covent Garden and right next to cinemas and tube. Best of all is the comfort and amenities in the room.

Great hotel with worst checkout experience.
    • Deluxe

Checking minibar that was unused took 15 minutes on checkout day. There was a miscommunication between the hotel and booking.com regarding changes in my travel date which is fair. They told me first that I had to checkout one day earlier and when I showed booking.com email they extended the stay. I got disappointed when the reception deactivated my room key twice. Once for fixing checkout date and another time for charging the extra day. I expected the staff to take responsibility of their mistakes and not blocking my card twice. When there is no one available to check minibar they can trust guests who paid over two thousand pounds for five days, that minibar is untouched. That makes travel to the airport on checkout day less stressful!

Boutique Luxury Hotel in Awesome Covent Garden Location.
    • Superior Double Double Room

We had a really bad experience across the road at "The Library" (do not go there) and had to check in to St Martin's Lane and extremely short notice - they were really accommodating at short notice and even upgraded us. It was an amazing stay and we loved the hotel. The staff are all really friendly and extremely helpful. Can't recommend this hotel highly enough and we will certainly go back again next time we are in London.

Friendly and helpful staff
    • Studio

After checking the new room, unfortunately we found broken curtains inside the window glass and they can't fix it ( it was the second time it happened to us and also in the past the couldn't fix it ). It's really a pity because the place has big windows and great view but inside the glass they have little curtains (office style ) that are very delicate and tend to break and the final effect is that they stay closed and you have no view and light in that part of the window. We informed the front office about the problem and they kindly offered us to move to a smaller room (the only available with that view ) but our Studio was so nice and spacious and fortunately had a lot of windows and we prefer to stay there for the whole stay even if with a broken and closed curtain . I suggest to make something to this problem and to double check rooms before to sell it and better to inform guests before they check in . Thank you !

Location, staff, design, view, very clean rooms . We love to come back to this place ! Every time I book I ask for a Studio on the fifth or sixth floor that offer a beautiful Trafalgar Square / Coliseum Theater view . Unfortunately when we arrived the room was located on the opposite corner and view. We were upset to spent our three nights romantic vacation in a room we don't like the view, so I asked to change and they called a very kind guy, the assistant front office manager, Mr. Danilo Cavalieri, also Italian, that helped us finding the best solution. We really appreciated his patience and kindness. He offered us a beautiful corner Studio on the fifth floor with our best view ever ! Thank you Danilo and St. Martins !

Pleasant stay, but service desperately needs improving in the restaurant
    • Standard

Service at breakfast very poor - milk in tea had turned and rather than make no fuss and just bring us a new pot and milk the lady came over to explain she had tasted it and it was ok.... no attention to detail - finished plates left on table - food good though!

Great room

Best value 5 star hotel in the heart of London
    • Standard

They allow me to check in early, hotel is centrally located and room is spacious for london, and the gymbox are huge so I don't miss my exercise during my holiday. Love the Malin Goetz Soap and Shampoo ...

Loved it! Simple as that.
    • Deluxe

That I couldn't stay longer!!

The whole interior and decoration of the venue was stunning. I loved the room, everything was there that I could have needed and staff were very friendly.

Browse St Martins Lane traveller photo gallery