Reviews of Star & Garter Hotel

1 High Port , Linlithgow, EH49 7AB, United Kingdom

#5 of 6 hotels in Linlithgow

• Reviewed: June 20, 2018

Perfect location and great value!

The only negative was having to drag our luggage up/down 2 flights of stairs to get to our room.

Great bar and restaurant downstairs. Comfortable rooms and good facilities.

• Reviewed: May 22, 2018

The entire staff were so friendly and helpful.
    • Double or Twin Room

The entire staff were so friendly and helpful. Our room was comfy and very clean. We were going to Edinburgh for 3 nights from there by train. The hotel was right next to the train station and we asked a manager where we park the rental car to catch the train. They told us to just leave it in their lot and it would be safe! It was perfect! We returned on the train and walked out the doors and right to our car! They were so nice! And no, you could not hear the trains while in the hotel at all.

• Reviewed: May 18, 2018

Great stay in wonderful town enhanced by very helpful and happy sto

Slightly noisy as it’s located beside busy junction- however it’s worth it as location for town and railway station is fantastic

Great location and helpful staff

• Reviewed: May 15, 2018

Excellent stopover for Forth Clyde Canal travellers.

Although not a problem for us, the slight uncertainty over the breakfast menu might cause issues for some.

Really convenient location for us as we were on a cycle trip along the Forth/Clyde Canal and this hotel is only minutes off the path. Hotel also very considerate about keeping bikes inside overnight. The hotel has a very busy bar, clearly very popular with locals, but the rooms are sufficiently far away for there to be little or no noise from this. We had both an evening meal and breakfast in their restaurant and enjoyed both. The staff serving breakfast seemed a little uncertain about what was available but went out of their way to help us and meet our requests. Would certainly recommend this hotel. Also very close to railway station for links to Edinburgh or Glasgow.

• Reviewed: May 9, 2018

Friendly and welcoming with very pleasant staff.

The staff were excellent, nothing was too much trouble for them. The staff also had a great deal of local knowledge which was very helpful in planning days out. On our last day the chef did not turn up, however the staff rallied round to ensure we, other residents and ourselves, all had a good breakfast before departure. A great thankyou for all your support during our short stay.

Lovely room staff friendly
    • Double or Twin Room

Check in was in bar area

We had booked room only but forgot chef had not come in and a few pyher people were looking for breakfast. The chef needs a break I guess. Should have an assistant who could step in to prepare breakfast if needs be

• Reviewed: April 30, 2018

Lovely place

WiFi didn't work very well. There is no reception but the staff is very helpful.

Comfortable room, very nice staff, good breakfast (I wish it was included in the price). I definitely recommend this place! I would love to stay there again :) great value for money!

• Reviewed: April 23, 2018

Overall enjoyable - staff friendly
    • Double or Twin Room

Stairs to bedrooms - my wife has bad arthritis (awaiting hip replacement) and struggled with the starirs to the bedrooms on 2nd floor

Excellent breakfast

• Reviewed: April 18, 2018

My 1rst and last stay here - with a little more heart it could be a nice place I guess...
    • Double or Twin Room

For some reason, I did not understand, there was no breakfast - only cereals and coffee, may be tea. I had to find some other place in town to get happy in the morning. No elevator but three storries to bring up the luggage to my room - no help of course. The stay not worth, the money I spent.

Centerly lokated, easy to find, free parking - clean - modern - plastic flowers...

• Reviewed: April 18, 2018

Central location.

Bed in my room was a bit firm for me but otherwise it was a nice stay

Central location. Especially good for rail link (only 2 minute walk at the back of hotel. Staff were very helpful and friendly Room was clean and quite spacious

• Reviewed: March 12, 2018

Excellent.

The only disappointment was the lack of breakfast, but the staff did direct us to a great little cafe a few yards down the road.

Hotel was chosen for its location close to the railway, the bonus was to food in the evening. Good honest food, not overtly fancy, but we'll prepared and cooked.

• Reviewed: March 7, 2018

Very useful location by rail station and in the centre of town. Friendly staff.
    • Double or Twin Room

Virtually no lighting in the bedroom - almost impossible to see a keyboard or to read; no desk. Have fed this info back before. Breakfast was not mentioned before my stay, on arrival or in the morning.

The bed and bathroom; the selection of good real ales

• Reviewed: February 28, 2018

If the room heating had worked we would have been very satisfied.
    • Double or Twin Room

No heating in room - the central heating was working in the hotel but not in our bedroom. There was also no provision for breakfast even if it was to cost.

• Reviewed: February 26, 2018

It could be so much better
    • Double or Twin Room

The wifi is beyound crap The heating in my room didn't work for 2 days and the bar area is always cold, why they don't make it feel warm and homely and light the log fire is beyound me. Also the mussels I was served had definite been cooked earlier and added to a hot broth. Not good!...

The staff are always friendly

• Reviewed: February 23, 2018

Large rooms and comfy bed.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Check in could have been better. We were in a hurry to get ready and had to wait a while before they found the correct member of staff to check us in.

Large rooms and comfy bed. Great value for money.

• Reviewed: January 24, 2018

Great place to stay
    • Double or Twin Room

Staff were excellent. I had not realised I should book breakfast, but Gillian went off and sorted me Tea, toast, cereal etc without hesitation. Manager David also very helpful when I'd left a phone charger in room on departure. Got it back no problem. Great place!

• Reviewed: January 2, 2018

Great location and nice place to stay.

The toilet wasn't clean when we arrived. Also it would have been nice if breakfast had been included.

Rooms were nice, great view and comfy beds.

• Reviewed: December 20, 2017

Nice stay
    • Double or Twin Room

Housekeeping knocking on the door before 9 am was really annoying (could do with a do not disturb sign) . I would have appreciated a longer explanation about the hotel and about what to do and see in Linlithgow.

The bed was extremly comfortable, could sleep for hours. The staff was friendly

• Reviewed: December 19, 2017

A wonderful place to stay!
    • Deluxe Double Room

A wonderful place to stay! Very clean and comfortable and the staff very friendly and approachable. Dinner in the restaurant was excellent and good value. It's only about 20 minutes by train to Edinburgh with a regular service so it makes a better (and cheaper) alternative. Breakfast was only continental but thanks to Gillian for making me scrambled eggs on toast at no notice and making sure I was well supplied with orange juice and coffee. It was much appreciated! It's definitely recommended and I'm looking forward to staying there again.

• Reviewed: December 18, 2017

Very clean and spacious, excellent location next to the...
    • Double or Twin Room

The fire escape light in the room was very bright during the night.

Very clean and spacious, excellent location next to the train station and 5mins walk to the halls and palace.

• Reviewed: December 11, 2017

with a little bit of attention this place could be great, luckily you have Gillian
    • Double or Twin Room

like all business travellers I need to use my laptop, and the room whilst clean and comfortable didn't have a desk, I ended up working in the bar, not ideal

I know that staff are supposed to be helpful, but Gillian was excellent, very helpful and made you feel genuinely welcome.

• Reviewed: December 4, 2017

Good, but a bit rough round the edges.

Broken toilet seat and average standards of cleanliness. A bit of Jif would easily have removed marks from walls. Carpetting in stair needs thorough clean. The reception desk was cleaning cupboard with a desk and seat.

Location next to railway station provided excellent access to Edinburgh

• Reviewed: December 4, 2017

Very comfortable room which served our needs for the one night we stayed

Just that the bath was very slippery. No grab rails to hold on to.

Room was very good. Bed was comfy nice fresh white bed linen. Bathroom was very clean with over bath shower. The bath however was very slippy and I nearly had a fall. No grab rails. I used the bath mat inside the bath second time I used it.

• Reviewed: November 27, 2017

The breakfast and poor management let it down!!!!
    • Double or Twin Room

We had booked for bed and breakfast however when we checked in were told no breakfasts were available as they were doing refurbishment. One morning they gave us some fruit and croissant freezing cold from the fridge and the next day cold cereal and toast - not what you would expect for Scottish breakfast on a freezing cold morning!!!!!

• Reviewed: November 22, 2017

Perfect stop on the way to Stirling
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast is a little essential but for the price paid I have no complaints at all.

Staff is very kind and friendly. The room is a little small but has everything, the bathroom is new. We had breakfast also if it wasn’t included. The price is a real deal!

• Reviewed: November 22, 2017

Great value for money and wonderful location
    • Double or Twin Room

The breakfast only available between 9-10am was not ideal however staff helpfully organised goodies to eat on the train 😀

Really great location, helpful staff and very clean

• Reviewed: November 20, 2017

good

cleaning in the breakfast room during breakfast period also clearing of previous nights bottles etc

Would have preferred a cooked breakfast rather than continental

• Reviewed: October 30, 2017

Poor value for single traveller and Booking .com description of this hotel not up to date.

The description in Booking .com is not clear and up to date. Not clear that price is for room only. There is no cooked b'fast available and the continental is very basic. Room is 66% more expensive at weekend. Not good value for single traveller especially at weekend.

Room size and big bath. Location beside train station.

• Reviewed: October 28, 2017

Will use this hotel again and recommend 😊
    • Deluxe Double Room

As there's no lift an offer of help with luggage would have been appreciated we managed ok but others may struggle

Very well appointed room-high standard of cleanliness comfy bed- lovely continental breakfast very reasonably priced

• Reviewed: October 7, 2017

Good comfortable hotel and pub with excellent transport links.

No complaints.

Comfortable, modern rooms in old style hotel. Excellent location next to railway station in pleasant town . The staff were also very friendly and helpful. Good beer in the hotel bar and adjoining pub.

• Reviewed: October 7, 2017

Good basic hotel that could easily be better
    • Deluxe Double Room

Very poor breakfast - a few bits of fruit, two types of very sweet cereals, cheap ham and synthetic cheese, sliced bread. I went out to Gregg’s (the only nearby alternative) to get something better!

Scottish friendliness!

• Reviewed: October 6, 2017

The staff were very helpful and pleasant.

There was no notification that there was no elevator. I was able to walk to the 3rd floor, but many people would not be able to. The wifi wasn't working. No breakfast was available

The staff were very helpful and pleasant. The room was very comfortable and well designed with a beautiful view

• Reviewed: October 5, 2017

Dreamy small town charm with a rustic but familiar flair

Staff was incredibly friendly and supportive- there was nothing these Lovely people wouldn't help you with. It's quite literally in front of the train station (no trains were heard though) and directly on the street eher cute shops and cafes are located. It IS pricey but as we learned from people from lilinthgow, so is the how town. I'd still and nevertheless recommend a trip to the star and Garter :)

• Reviewed: September 19, 2017

• Double or Twin Room

This is not a typical hotel as it simply a handful of nice rooms above a pub. There was a party there that ran late into the night and many were "over served", therefore quite lowd. When we arrived we were led to room on an upper floor that doubled as a storage closet and hotel check-in office. There was no lift to the 3rd floor room and no offer of assistance to get luggage to that level. We had reserved the room for 2 nights but had to leave early. The manager said we had to work with booking.com for an adjustment on fees. He said they had paid the commission for 2 nights stay and that was a problem. He said he would try to get a partial credit at least. I offered to pay the commission which he said was 18%. Later booking.com contacted me and said he was refusing to adjust the fare because of the cancellation poloicy they have. I received no adjustment that I have been able to see. I don't believe the manager acted in good faith on this matter.

The bed and bathroom were clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: September 18, 2017

Very pleasantly surprised by this hotel, the room and...
    • Deluxe Double Room

The breakfast was a not worth the cost

Very pleasantly surprised by this hotel, the room and bathroom were amazing. The staff was very helpful, even carried my bags (much needed after hiking all day).

• Reviewed: September 15, 2017

Nice, clean, friendly hotel in a great location but breakfast was disappointing.
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was basic and disappointing as only continental breakfast served. No hot options whatsoever. No yoghurt offered either.

Nice hotel, friendly staff, clean, great location, twin room was comfortable and had everything we needed for our overnight stay.

• Reviewed: September 12, 2017

The place you feel home

wi-fi

The room quiet and the bed super double and very comfortable. The food: breakfast nice and rich, continenatal with cold buffet with cheeses and hams, dinner: delicious. The bar has a variety of drinks and especially ales locally produced. The personel was great. All are very friendly and their service superb, like being home. Gillian was brilliant. I will go back

• Reviewed: September 9, 2017

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Star and Garter, and would definitely return there.

A bin in the room.

The hotel it is situated really close to the train station, making it convenient to travel to nearby Edinburgh and Stirling. The hotel and bar have a warm and welcome atmosphere. Staff were friendly, helpful and polite, the room and bathroom were immaculate.

• Reviewed: September 4, 2017

Enjoyable stay in a lovely location
    • Double or Twin Room

Not an issue for us, but there are a lot of stairs to reach the rooms if mobility is an issue.

Star and Garter is an excellent spot for exploring the beautiful town of Linlithgow. There are only 5 rooms in the hotel and all are on the top floor. Rooms are very modern wand nicely laid out. TV has Sky sports if that's something you think is important. Their pub downstairs has a good selection of beers and the restaurant was very busy, although we didn't eat there. Live music the night we were there too, which was excellent. Really enjoyed our one night stay.

• Reviewed: August 25, 2017

Perfect location...large rooms with a great view!

Rooms were large and very comfortable; they do face the street but traffic noise was minimal even with window open and fresh air in!! Staff at breakfast were wonderful!! We had a lively conversation of Scottish History that ended our trip beautifully!!

• Reviewed: August 25, 2017

Good, clean and very convenient.

No working table in the room to use for work/laptop. Also no cooked breakfast.

Room was clean and comfortable, just no table to work from in the evenings.

• Reviewed: August 2, 2017

Check out your booking before paying.

No clear indication for a reception desk when we arrived. The manager eventually took us up stairs to an office - or was it a messy cupboard - to book in and pay even before we had seen the room. The room was ok but the walls could have done with painting as lots of scuff marks on them also coffee stain splattered on the wall from a previous occupier. Only decaf coffee or hot choc on the tray for making although I requested ordinary coffee - but still waiting ! Pillows were too fat. Sure to give you a sore neck. The carpet in the room needed a good hoover although the bathroom was very clean. The carpet on the stairs was disgusting ... needing replaced or shampooed. The wooden floor in the bar was sticky ! you stuck to it if you stood in the same place too long. Food was good although it was 25 minutes from when we got the menu until our order was taken and that was only when I asked !

Bathroom was clean ! Didn't like anything else.

• Reviewed: July 21, 2017

A very well greeting coming through the doors .comfortable bedrooms

O enjoyed a lively breakfast. Comfortable facilities . Well greeted at the door . I had a game of darts too while having a drink at the bar. Entertainment was great. Friendly people and happy faces . Greeted well . Thank you

• Reviewed: February 27, 2017

Convenient stopping place for our onward travel the following day.
    • Double or Twin Room

No facility for disabled people. Not accessible for wheelchair bound people. Many stairs to the rooms especially if going to the dining room. Only warm 'hot water' in the room otherwise room excellent. Tables sticky.

The friendly staff and very clean room.

• Reviewed: December 26, 2016

Star Stay!
    • Deluxe Double Room

Lack of info about getting back into hotel on Christmas night. No one told me where to pay. Car parking facilities are terrible.

Friendly staff Good food Comfortable room

• Reviewed: November 4, 2016

A warm welcome with friendly service.
    • Double or Twin Room

Road noise was apparant from my room and I wasn't offered wifi.

Welcome was warm and efficient. Room was clean and cosy and the food was lovely, amazing value and so tasty.

• Reviewed: October 4, 2016

Avery good place to stay in Linlithgow
    • Double or Twin Room

It didn't bother us but the absence of a lift might be a problem.

Great location. Very handy for everything in the town. Very tasty breakfast. Really positive and helpful staff. Good range of beers. We are going back to Linlithgow and we will stay at the Star and Garter.

• Reviewed: October 3, 2016

Overall very enjoyable stay
    • Double or Twin Room

There was no hot water in the morning for showers and the window would not stay open when we tried to get some air.

The bed was comfy and the room was modern. Bathroom was nice too. Good breakfast included in price.

• Reviewed: October 3, 2016

Wouldn't stay again even though we have been going for the past 8 years
    • Deluxe Double Room

The hot water was cold the dinner was appalling can't cook steak or haddock properly the bedding was itchy the function room carried on too long after 11pm for guests to sleep

The breakfast and staff

• Reviewed: September 20, 2016

The Staff impressed us most of all by their obvious happiness in their work.
    • Double or Twin Room

The car parking spaces were limited and I had to wait several hours for a space to become vacant.

The Staff were polite, helpful and very friendly. The meals were also very good ,well cooked and well presented.

• Reviewed: September 15, 2016

Ideal for town.

Parking limited space and worse still when people parked over two bays?

full Scotish breakfast very good and cooked to order worth waiting for. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: September 15, 2016

Nice hotel, friendly staff
    • Double or Twin Room

We wanted to get to the road early on Sunday morning, but the whole house was still asleep at 7.30. They had forgotten to say that on Sundays breakfast starts only at 8am. But when one of the staff finally came, she was super-friendly and started making breakfast immediately. Although we were many and she was alone, so it took time... On arrival I was a bit shocked by the noise in the pub downstairs (karaoke night ;) but luckily we couldn't here anything in the room.

Nice little village. The train connection to Edinburgh was good. Room was cosy, quiet and bed was good. Awesome breakfast - really FULL Scottish!

• Reviewed: September 11, 2016

Good accommodation near Edinburgh

There is no lift

Skillful staff, quiet place, nice room, good internet connection, good TV on the room, good parking, full Scottish breakfast, near railway station - close to Edinburgh (by train)

• Reviewed: August 22, 2016

Great location, nice rooms

Location (next to the train station and 5-7 mins walk from...everything). Staff - very friendly Room - small but clean and sufficient for a short stay Bar Breakfast

• Reviewed: August 21, 2016

a pleasant stay
    • Deluxe Double Room

Very noisy at night when bar was emptying couldn't get to sleep till 2am Taxis stopping all the time at the front. Breakfast was served in the café and the first morning we waited for 20min to be served

very nice room

• Reviewed: August 21, 2016

Very comfortable accommodation and helpful staff

Room very comfortable .Great location.We arrived early but arrangements were made to get room ready to allow us to check in .Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: August 20, 2016

Great venue for escaping the bustle of Edinburgh, right next to railway station.
    • Deluxe Double Room

No working telephones in the room. Hotel should advise bedrooms are only accessible by stairs. Breakfast in cafe a bit fraught on last day.

Great position, great staff, great dinner. Pleasant bedrooms.

• Reviewed: August 18, 2016

lovely pub hotel, with much going for it, but room for improvement.
    • Double or Twin Room

No working telephones in the rooms. The Star and Garter should indicate that there is no lift to the bedrooms, as entry on the ground floor entails climbing two separate flights of stairs. The staff were over-stretched when busy at breakfast, so service could be very slow.

The staff were very helpful, and the two evening meals I had in the hotel were excellent. Fantastic position for getting to the station, with easy train access to Edinburgh. The rooms were comfortable and well maintained.

• Reviewed: August 16, 2016

Location Location Location.
    • Double or Twin Room

The bar maid working the function suite on Saturday night came across as not that interested, possibly the busiest weekend the hotel will have.. Punters were not impressed! The waiting staff on breakfast looked a bit stretched and could have used a help- tables were not cleared and customers had to wait ages to have orders taken. Fair play though food was very good.

Lovely room clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: July 21, 2016

We enjoyed out stay despite the comments above - which hopefully will be remedied.
    • Double or Twin Room

We found that the hot water for the bath/shower was not very hot. Also the staff in the bistro need to learn not to lean over a guest when passing plates to the person next to them.

No complaints.

• Reviewed: May 23, 2018

central situation.

Bit of a circuitous route to room.

central situation. Recently upgraded. Great staff. Most helpful. Lively bar

• Reviewed: May 7, 2018

Excellent location for the event we attended

The staff on Sunday morning were exceptional rushing about to get our breakfast as their was no chef on duty.

• Reviewed: May 7, 2018

Staff were very helpful to a lady who had walking aid

Staff went out of way for my friends who I had booked this hotel for.

• Reviewed: April 19, 2018

I would readily use again
    • Double or Twin Room

A desk for working at would have been useful

Very nicely appointed room with comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: April 8, 2018

Very nice en suite and super clean

I wish the light had been brighter in my room.

Very nice en suite and super clean

• Reviewed: March 10, 2018

Very pleasant stay in a comfortable clean room
    • Double or Twin Room

It would have been great to have breakfast offered

Staff were friendly, room was comfortable and clean

• Reviewed: March 1, 2018

Pleasant stay helpful staff good food

No breakfast

Very clean and warm

• Reviewed: December 22, 2017

All round good hotel

All round good hotel

• Reviewed: December 20, 2017

Lovely hotel, lovely staff, fantastic location
    • Deluxe Double Room

Shower over bath (not easy to get in or out with a bad knee!)

Lovely hotel, lovely staff, fantastic location

• Reviewed: December 4, 2017

Very pleasant experience, would stay here again
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was spacious, and the bed was comfortable on suite facilities were superb, the staff were very friendly and couldn’t do enough for us.

• Reviewed: December 3, 2017

Home from home environment. Was busy being weekend but once in room you could relax.
    • Double or Twin Room

David The General Manager was very professional and a great guy made us feel very comfortable.

• Reviewed: November 13, 2017

would stay there again

too many stairs

meal was wonderful, staff great

• Reviewed: November 13, 2017

Friendly,helpful staff.
    • Double or Twin Room

Friendly,helpful staff. Extremely comfortable bed with great view from window.

• Reviewed: November 2, 2017

Everything was outstanding

Everything was outstanding

• Reviewed: October 30, 2017

Breakfast was a bit sparse.

Breakfast was a bit sparse.

Browse Star & Garter Hotel Traveler Photo Gallery