Reviews of Station Hotel And Restaurant 4 stars

Market Square, Melrose, TD6 9PT, United Kingdom

#9 of 13 hotels in Melrose

• Double Room - Room 5

Needed early checkout so couldnt get breakfast, so they made me a packed lunch which was ready for me in the morning - thank you. Great service. Lots of safe on-street parking. Great bathroom.

Only downside was the shower which ran hot and cold all the time.

Nice friendly staff, good breakfast and on second day away too early for breakfast but they made us a packed lunch. Lovely bedroom and clean towels both days.

• Double Room - Room 5

The early morning light came in around the window blind, which does not really cover the whole window.

The room and bed are really comfy and very clean. A bit small for two but great for one person. The landlord stayed up late to let me in in arrival which was much appreciated. All the little extras were great, thanks.

This was the second time we have stayed here. A friendly, comfortable hotel with good breakfast and dinner. It is expensive but it is cheaper than other places nearby.

• Family Room

The only thing I can say here is that it is single glazed.... Our room was right above the front door so people outside chatting could be heard very clearly and could smell cigarette smoke from time to time. I don't mention it at the time as I know there is nothing that can be done about that... Howerer I would ask for a different room next time.

We were down for the 7s, so location was excellent. Room was spacious and very clean smelling (and looking!) Staff very friendly and helpful. So good to find accommodation suitable for kids and a dog!

Kitchen extractor unit buzzing outside room 2 and 3. On for breakfast and dinner cooking periods. No car parking unless you arrive after 5.00pm.

Location, comfortable bar area, Friday grill night and friendly staff.

• Small Double Room

My only negative comment would be the noise from the extraction unit outside my windows, but this did go off around 23:00

The staff were very friendly and the room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was hot and tasty but no square sausage on the menu 😢

• Family Room

Breakfast.... asked what time we wanted breakfast...said wasnt sure as I might lie in....was told they had to have a time. Breakfast was poor compared to others hotels I've stayed in. As a vegetarian its got to be the worse ever. Spoonful of scrambled egg, one mushroom and a tomato... LUNCH... we ate lunch there, food was terrible..... on the plus side...we sat in the very pleasant bar staff were lovely hotel was nice too....

Shower wasn’t hot

Staff were really friendly and helpful. They gave us some water for the dogs when we arrived. Really comfortable and clean. And we missed breakfast due to both being so full of cold and not sleeping well that I let my partner get a lie in. They kindly made us both bacon rolls.

• Small Double Room

There was a bit of noise outside from extract fan early morning

Nice warm room with lovely ensuite. Staff were very helpful and friendly . Lovely breakfast as well in a nice restaurant

Unfortunately I left my phone charger behind . When I called the hotel there was no answer although I did leave a message. Very

Lovely hotel with friendly staff. Breakfast was excellent.

Apart from not having a car park which isn't a major issue - there a plenty of car parks within walking distance - there's nothing not to like for the price.

Friendly welcome, it's reasonably priced, clean, comfortable and suits me perfectly. Superb breakfast.

• Family Room

Booking .com had cancelled stay with hotel. The room was cold, heating had only been put in room when arrived. The room was a long way from reception, considering two elderly women one with 2walking sticks. Not a long time for breakfast & they wanted a drink & some toast but wouldn’t serve them as after nine, would not be staying there again, plenty hotels so they need to up there game, have someone on reception at all times that know what they are doing.

Beds were hard and food was poor - aiming for quantity rather than quality. Room was over he kitchen and thereore very noisy due o heavy fans in use til afer 10.00pm and staring up again around 6.00am Also gave us the wrong bill!! Did change it when mistake pointed out..

• Double Room - Room 5

Did not like booking breakfast the night before. If late down to breakfast it was cooked and waiting so not freshly cooked. But at least not a total buffet. Friendly staff.

Very comfortable bed, warm and cozy room. Not too big but warm and well appointed bathroom. Free wi-fi and tv

As I mentioned to one of your staff, I thought the paper mat for the shower was a bit dangerous as it easily slipped on the floor, but I understand the matters of hygiene. The duvet was a bit narrow, small.

I thought my stay was ideal

• Double Room - Room 5

Nothing we didn't like. For us the hotel couldn't be better. We'd stayed there before and we'll probably stay there again.

The staff go a great job of catering for vegetarians. The breakfasts were delicious.

My only silly gripe is knowing what I want for breakfast the night before!!

I wasn’t there long but the team were extremely accommodating and friendly. Unfortunately my stay was not a pleasant one but the were very supportive with my situation.

The TV had really bad reception on every channel except BBC Scotland but this wasn't really a major problem and maybe had more to do with the area than the hotel.

The room was very clean and comfortable with an excellent bathroom. 5 sockets in the room and excellent wi fi connection. I liked having a hairdryer and tissues as extras breakfast well presented and tasty and we had an evening meal that was worth the money. The staff were very pleasent too. Would defnitely stay again. We were in room 2 and it doesn't have a window with a view but this did not effect us at all. The property has no on site parking but we arrived on a Saturday afternoon and did not have any problems finding a free space

• Family Room

I thought the hotel was excellent value for money . Really enjoyed my stay . Both evening meals were excellent. Breakfasts were also well cooked and excellent

• Family Room

Since there is no designated parking we were lucky to find a space in the small car park off street beside the hotel). With one of us on crutches that could have been a problem.

Nice (family) room with comfortable beds and spacious bathroom. Friendly staff. Very pleasant small lounge downstairs.

Parking was a problem as there was none actually belonging to the hotel. It wasn't easy to find a convenient (and vacant!) spot.

I was made to feel welcome and had a very pleasant stay. thankyou.

• Small Double Room

Lack of fruit at breakfast. Bed over-hot. In need of a little tlc inside and out.

It was handy for starting the St Cuthbert's Way. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was good.

Nothing that I didn't like

The staff were very polite, helpful and friendly. The room was large, also nice and quiet. Fish & chips in restaurant to be recommended.

• Small Double Room

The room was not quiet. There is an extractor fan outside the window which is switched off at 20.30, and this was just acceptable. However, the restaurant was hosting a birthday party on the Saturday night of our stay and there was loud singing, shouting and banging of doors late into the evening, well past midnight. And the room, being above the restaurant, is not adequately soundproofed. This was very unpleasant and spoilt what would otherwise have been a pleasant experience. Management must decide whether, if they are going to be an 'hotel', they want to honour their obligation to keep it quiet for guests, or if they want to just get in more money by allowing party celebrations which are going to bother those same guests. Can't have it both ways. This ruined an otherwise pleasant experience and we will not be staying again.

Room was clean, stylish, bed was comfortable, television was easy to operate; bathroom was of generous size, very stylish, very clean and efficient.

The carpet leading to the room-was dreading the place on entry but once seen the room happy with our choice.

Once in the room everything plus breakfast made to order. Staff were very welcoming and courtesy

• Small Double Room

The lack of parking around the hotel made it a bit difficult but we did quite well anyway. This affects everyone else staying in the area as there is a lot of accommodation available.

Comfy bed but not a lot of storage space. Super large bathroom. Elaine, Stevie and Shirley lòoked after us well and the meals were great. Nothing too much trouble and really helpful with directions etc. Kept my bottle of wine in the fridge for me.

• Double Room - Room 5

Dingy room - single window looking out onto dark space. Very slippery bathroom floor. Duvet cover to bed too narrow. 'Tired' cooked breakfast.

Good location at centre of town. Nice staff. Free parking short distance from hotel

We felt it was expensive for what it offered as rather worn decor, although the price reflects the relative high cost of accommodation in the area. The evening meal in the restaurant was average. Some of the staff were dour.

The hotel was conveniently situated. Some of the staff were helpful, one even printed out a bus timetable for us. The breakfast was good.

The parking, but we are aware that the position of the hotel does not allow for parking on the site.

THe staff were very friendly and when we asked for extra pillows we got them straight away. wE ASKED FOR A SIMPLE BREAKFAST and that this what we received,

Noisy outside early hours of the morning because of birds

Very helpful staff. We cycled to the hotel and they were able to offer a room to secure the bikes

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• Small Double Room

Extractor fan from kitchen too close to our bedroom (Noisy until after 9pm and started up again fairly early) - think our room should have been cheaper.

Room a bit pokey while bathroom quite spacious. Poor breakfast for vegetarians.

Didn't like the smell of the liquid soap in the bathroom . But that's just being picky.

The staff were great, very helpful and friendly. The room was spacious and comfortable. Also the bathroom was big, not the usual cupboard. Food was very good with generous portions. Beware the fish and chips unless you are VERY hungry.

• Double Room - Room 5

We found the mattress in room 5 to be uncomfortable.. Maybe a padded mattress topper would help

Staff very friendly and obliging. Room clean and warm. Excellent position to explore the lovely town of Melrose and its surrounding areas.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

From the outside I was dubious about the property, but it was beautiful inside and everything was perfect. I had to attend a conference in a local church and it was only 10 minutes away. Perfect.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

• Double Room - Room 5

Everything was very satisfactory. We could not fault anything and will definitely stay here again.

Lovely clean hotel. The staff were all very welcoming and helpful. The food was excellent and the atmosphere in the hotel was warm and friendly.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

• Small Double Room

Croissants and some sliced cheeses would be a nice addition to the continental breakfast

Very friendly upgraded us to bigger room at no extra cost. Accommodation superbly located for climbing Eildon Hills. Very efficient at serving. Rooms very clean. Good breakfast

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

• Double Room - Room 5

Bedroom window was frosted - perhaps because overlooked or not a particularly nice view but do like to look through a window

Comfortable, clean & friendly

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Breakfast was prepared before we came down, the croissant had been warmed in the microwave and gone cold rendering it too hard to eat. Difficult to find anywhere to park in the area

The location is perfect, right in the centre of the town of Melrose

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

Would have liked choice of fruit and yoghurt at breakfast, rather than just cereals.

Great location, comfy room, friendly folk and good cooked breakfast.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

Literally nothing

Stayed here for work, it was booked by my boss but I couldn't have been happier - the location was ideal for where I was working, the town seemed nice (although I didn't have time to see much of it) and the place was excellent. My room was fantastic, the food was great, the beer was superb and the staff were brilliant. I literally don't have any negative comments.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Because it is over the pub, and we were above the kitchen slight noise & smell but really a minor issue and can't really be avoided.

Very nice condition and presentation of the rooms. Friendly welcome. Breakfast was very good. Would stay again.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

• Small Double Room

Bed mattress a little bit too firm for my liking.

Very good value for money. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. We had a very early start and missed breakfast but a packed lunch was prepared for us. Nice touch.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Carpets were filthy. The quilt covering the bed was not large enough as it just fitted the bed with no overlap. I asked for a continental breakfast and presented with a dish with an apple, orange, yoghurt, stale croissant and a breakfast biscuit. I assumed a continental breakfast would be laid out on a table and you help yourself to various items including cheese, cold meats etc. No customer service whatsoever here. The owner never presented herself well at all, no 'good morning' or 'how was your stay'. Certainly not interested in making people feel welcome. They also took our credit cards when we arrived and the transaction went through then rather than when checking out. Warning to other travellers, please do not stay at this hotel, it's very run down, they should stick to just running this place as a pub. They must obviously just getting passing trade with holiday makers because you certainly would not return for a second visit to this place.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

The dinner menu was 'pub grub'. My burger was uninspiring though my friends had the ravioli which were nicely served and which they enjoyed.

The room was comfortable, good facilities provided, lovely bathroom clearly recently revamped; though the MIra electric shower was not very powerful, it did the job. Interesting whiskies on offer in the bar. Breakfast was very pleasant, especially the porridge.

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

No complaint at all.

Staff very friendly and helpful, all working as a team to ensure a good customer experience. Will certainly return for another stay.

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

Lay out of bedroom, beds not facing tv which made it difficult to watch when in bed, but other than that ok.

Clean comfortable beds, bathroom excellent, food hot and nicely presented, breakfast excellent good produce, porridge lovely and served with extra cream and honey.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

• Double Room - Room 5

Parking in Melrose is always tricky but the staff were extremely helpful in getting us parked.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Location was fabulous.

I would have liked the option to have a reduced room rate with no breakfast included.

great location in Melrose and very helpful staff / owners. Thank you : )

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

• Double Room - Room 5

The bed was small compared to normal hotel beds and the mattress was quite soft. This was the only gripe with our visit but as a good nights sleep is vital, it is a large decider re whether we would stay again

Breakfast was amazing - especially the porridge... Location perfect - parking close by. Bathroom facilities were very good

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

All good

Very warm and welcomming on arrival and throughout stay, right in the centre of town clean room which was heated well excellent breakfast which arrived shortly after sitting down. I would highly recommend this hotel for these reasons.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

The location is excellent. The hotel is at 50 m of the bus stop (the same bus stop that can take you to Abbotsford). That´s the city centre. That is very close to Melrose Abbey (about 300 m). Good breakfast. The restaurant has a good variety of options. The room was confortable, spacious for one. The bathroom was big enough to be confortable.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

• Double Room - Room 5

Bedding went all over the place, found I was sleeping on the bare mattress (in parts) in the morning.

A tidy restaurant, good service and a good bar. Pleasant room and nice batthroom.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

• Double Room - Room 5

Lounge restaurant and bar looking shabby and very dull,too much brown. Not much atmosphere would have liked some fruit with porridge eg prunes ,oranges, pears

Good welcome, helpful friendly staff,comfy bed ,good evening meal. Quiet. Room, nice bathroom.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

• Family Room

Carpet worn and stained on stairs outside and somewhat inside. TV set-up did not jive with the room layout, difficult to see from couch location and beds. Overpriced for the room interior and pics did not exactly reflect what you get. No screens on windows if you wanted to some get fresh air.Two star accomodation max.

Locaton and breakfast was good and well organized. Bar handy on ground floor.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

Would have liked to have opened the window just a fraction for some fresh air thru the night, otherwise, I was very happy with the accommodation and service. Warm, clean, comfortable room in a great location.

• Reviewed: 13 September 2016

• Double Room - Room 5

There was a huge spider! It ran across the floor and frightened the life out of me. However, the place was very clean so he may have just scurried in from some crevice. Breakfast could be a little later and I felt at times the lady was a bit snappy with us - but it was delicious!

The room was lovely, and the bed very comfortable. Nice shower too. Convenient location and the staff were very kind upon check in/check out! One of the days during my stay I also had some food from the restaurant and that was tasty! Thanks all at station arms!

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Nothing really to complain about during our stay

Good location in Melrose, hotel easy to find, staff friendly and accomodating, nice breakfast, lovely ensuite with good shower

• Double Room - Room 5

Had to order breakfast the day before. We forgot to order ours so didn't go for breakfast.

Nice rooms and the guy who welcomed us and showed us our room was very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

• Family Room

Steep stairs to get to the bedrooms, again not suitable for all. The cooked breakfast looked great but the continental was very poor, apples were sour, banana was black....seemed thrown together. Disappointed. Restaurant food was fair, 2people in our party ordered steak medallion from the specials, it was very dry, when we asked the waiter for a little gravy or sauce he offered them a pepper sauce.......then at the bill charged them £3.95 extra each!!! We should have just sent it back....

The location was fantastic, but there is no parking at this hotel, not ideal if you are traveling with elderly people as its a hilly area.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

• Double Room - Room 5

There was a plastic mattress protector on the bed. After a couple of crackly nights we removed it and replaced it at the end of the stay. Thicker pillows would be appreciated. Soundproofing between rooms could be better. Not really a problem for us, but we didn't have particularly noisy neighbours.

Warm welcome from Steve. Full marks to Shirley who appeared to be running the the establishment single-handed. Whatever they'e paying her, it should be double! Excellent breakfast. Great rail service to Edinburgh ( 1 hour picturesque journey) from Tweedbank station (6 mins by car). Melrose was a thriving market town with places of interest within walking distance of the hotel.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

• Small Double Room

Would have liked to have been able to open window. Well window did open but it was onto a flat roof that was really mucky and not sure just what was living in it. Don't like beasties.

Staff were really friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

It's just my own preference but the bed was a little bit too hard for me

The staff made you feel so welcome, food was excellent. The shower was the best I've had in a hotel

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

Room dated with dingy decor, overpowering smell of air freshener,window blind partially down concealing the kitchen extractor fan which was very noisy however it went off around 8.30 in the evening but unfortunately started early in the morning again. Carpet very marked, small uncomfortable double bed. Hospitality tray dusty, and used teabag tray unclean. Room very claustrophobic as could only open window slightly as noise from fan loud. Strange to be asked what would like for breakfast on checking in! Breakfast served in a very dull room. Seemed as if one member of staff doing everything from cooking breakfast, checking out etc.

Situated in the centre of Melrose. Ease of access for walking the Tweed and

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

There was no air conditioning. It probably didn't help arriving there on the hottest day of the year. There was also no private car park which I would have preferred but the town was nice and quiet so no worries having to park it on the street.

The staff were very nice and friendly. Location was good and very easy to find.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

There was a generator running loudly all night which kept me awake. The room decor was slightly dated.

Great breakfast. Friendly welcoming staff.

• Reviewed: 8 July 2016

• Family Room

The staff were not very welcoming when we arrived- seemed annoyed by the bother of having to speak to guests. The fellow who showed us the room tried to oversell us on extras.

The family room was very spacious and clean. The beds were comfortable. Our favorite feature was the large heated drying rack which we used to dry our hand-washed laundry. Breakfasts were good. The location was convenient to the bus stop, right in the market square.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

Lack of parking in the area

Good location in centre of Melrose Shower was good, bed too firm for my liking, cooked breakfast was lovely and bar does good food also

• Double Room - Room 5

No parking and the town was busy because of the book festival

Ideal location for the Borders book festival. We had a very nice meal on Saturday night

• Double Room - Room 5

Slight odour in the bedroom but disappeared once I opened the window.

Staff were friendly.

• Small Double Room

Water is shower was stone cold.

Comfy bed. friendly helpful staff.good breakfast and convenient location.

No complaints.

V. comfy beds. pleasant environment.

• Double Room - Room 5

The door to the pub bangs at night with customers going in and out of the pub. Kept us awake.

Breakfast was good

Top marks for everything

Really warm and helpful staff and a lovely breakfast. The porridge was perfect!