2. UK hotel reviews
  5. Reviews of Station Hotel

Reviews of Station Hotel 3 stars

54 Princes Street, Thurso, KW14 7DH, United Kingdom

#13 of 23 hotels in Thurso

Read more- opens a dialog box

Showing 1 – 75

• Reviewed: 8 March 2019

The place itself was clean and functional for an overnight stop.

I was alarmed that taking payment contravened every PCI compliance regulation. How this was done should not be allowed from a basic card payment security point of view. On that basis alone, I wouldn't stay there again. Sorry. In fairness, this isn't the first small independent scottish hotel I've stayed in with the same problem.

Convenient for the ferry.

Stayed in March 2019

• Reviewed: 6 March 2019

Great find would use again.

Nothing I didn't like

Everything was to my liking from nice easy bed, power shower. Nicely presented hot cooked vegetarian breakfast at 6 am in order to catch early train.

Stayed in March 2019

• Reviewed: 28 February 2019

Always enjoy my stay at Station Hotel, Thurso

Welcoming hotel within reach of station. Very comfortable, spotless room which was nice and cosy and quiet. Friendly staff and excellent food.

• Reviewed: 27 February 2019

Good location lovely reception bar/dining areas allowed...

The door handles hoodini couldn’t lock /get out of these !

Good location lovely reception bar/dining areas allowed me to check in early for funeral

• Reviewed: 19 February 2019

great location and great staff shame about the old fashioned room

Room was at the back in another building - the room was clean but was old fashioned and needs some work - TV was very small

a lovely central area in Thurso - staff were great -- especially the lady at breakfast - she was really nice and helpful -- first class service - the guy on reception was very good too Breakfast was very good - room was warm and clean

• Reviewed: 1 February 2019

Excellent stay, friendly and helpful staff, and I would stay here again.

Wifi signal cut out now and then, but it could always be re-set almost immediately.

Comfy bed, with nice bedding, and I slept well. The bathroom was modern with toiletries, shower cap etc. and the shower controls were easy to use. In the wardrobe there was even an umbrella for guests to borrow! I didn't eat an evening meal here, but the menu had a good varied selection and was reasonably priced.

Stayed in January 2019

• Reviewed: 2 January 2019

creme de la creme.

Nothing.......you get top marks for everything.

The whole atmosphere so nice to have a self contained unit,just like a wee house.Very private no noisy neighbours.Very cosy.

Stayed in January 2019

• Reviewed: 10 December 2018

Warm comfartable stay.

I was met with a warm friendly welcome and efficient check-in service. My room was warm and comfortable if a little small.. Evening meal and breakfast were both well cooked and presented.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2018

It far exceeded my expextations. Brightened up some dark winter days.

Nothing. All good.

The room was exceptionally clean. The temperaturein the room was just right. Bathroom very spacious. Good sized shower and the shower rose was great.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2018

Everything from the chalet room, staff, food.

Absolutely nothing

Everything from the chalet room, staff, food. All excellent. Would recommend to all and will definitely stay there again. Near the train station too which is a bonus. As a solo traveller, often find am put in very small rooms but was put in chalet room at rear of hotel. Very nice indeed.

• Reviewed: 23 November 2018

We very much enjoyed our time at the Station Hotel and will stay there again, as well as recommend i

Bathroom shower door- it was very difficult to not get water outside the tub!

The staff made our stay very enjoyable. Meals were excellent, the bar was well-stocked.

Stayed in November 2018

• Reviewed: 2 November 2018

Lovely staff, great location, clean spacious accommodation!

Hotel staff were so friendly, even came out to find me when I went the wrong way from the station. The accommodation was much roomier than I expected, and very clean (well-kept). Perfect location too!

Stayed in November 2018

• Reviewed: 27 October 2018

Great coming back

The weather on arrival but not hotels fault obviously! Will be back

Lovely room clean great food and a most welcoming of staff. To park 7paces from lodge door is brilliant and so well cleaned and presented

• Reviewed: 27 October 2018

The friendly staff make this an unforgettable stay.

We have stayed four times at the Station Hotel and it's been uniformly excellent every time. Great value - breakfast is included in the room price - and it's freshly cooked, not a buffet. There's a great evening meal menu and even vegetarians like us are well catered for.

Excellent staff at check in and in the dining room. Great menu - excellently prepared and presented. The serving staff are very friendly and make it seem like a family hotel where they are genuinely interested in you. Within 300 yards of Thurso station, so no problem getting there. Parking provided if you arrive by car. Nicely 'old fashioned' in some ways - you pay when you leave, no credit card pre-authorization, they trust you - a lovely change.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2018

One of the friendliest places we have stayed in

The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome and we're extremely helpful. Excellent laundry service, lovely food, both dinner and breakfast

• Reviewed: 17 October 2018

A faultless stay

Good size room with lovely bathroom and very comfortable bed. The staff were friendly and attentive and I enjoyed a really nice breakfast with great service.

• Reviewed: 12 October 2018

Bedroom was very comfortable, bed excellent, bathroom huge.

Worst breakfast we have had. Fresh fruit all fizzy so either been out too long or days old. Coffee not drinkable as been stewed too long. Porridge looked awful, grey lumpy gloup which tasted worse! Failed to eat. Even toast was hard crisped or burnt! The room was cold when we went to it, turned most radiators on ok but no dial in bathroom so had to ask for reception to come with pliers. All sorted quickly though and warmed up quick.

Bedroom was very comfortable, bed excellent, bathroom huge. Power Shower with plenty of space, only niggle is an extra grab rail would have been good by step into shower. Dinner was excellent and highly reccomended (must be different chef to breakfast!) Ideal location. Wifi good.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Very well run hotel

If i was being picky: The room was at the very top of the stairs (i personally didn't mind)

It's in a perfect location (between the train and centre); v friendly staff, gave me a call to see if I was coming down for breakfast. Warm and cosy room. Feather pillow. Good shower. I had a key to come in late.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2018

Very comfortable

Could not find anything to dislike.

Always enjoy my stay in the Station Hotel. It's very handy for the railway station. It's welcoming, friendly, very comfortable and the food is excellent.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

Spacious, comfortable hotel close to railway station

Access to my room was through an interior courtyard which was accessed after taking narrow hallways from the main entrance and stepping outside. That said, staff members cheerfully carried my luggage to the room. The room itself was quiet and pleasant. I don't have any real complaints.

The sleeping area was large and included two large couches. The bathroom was also spacious and comfortable. The room was much larger than I expected. The breakfast was delicious and the staff was helpful.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Convenient location to the ferry to Orkney.

Convenient location to the ferry to Orkney. Good food at dinner and a variety of breakfast choices. Free parking in front of room. Friendly waitress for both meals. Top sheets on beds. Nice sitting area.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

I thought that all the staff were friendly and welcoming.

There was nothing that I didn't like.

I thought that all the staff were friendly and welcoming. The room that I stayed in was one of the best I have stayed in. the bed wad very comfortable I normally can't sleep in a different bed on the first night but had no trouble at all getting to sleep.

Just OK

Staff were nice and friendly. Dinner and breakfast at the restaurant were good. The "studio" rooms are a few steps below ground level, are like motel rooms by any other standard, and the headlights of cars parking in front of our window were disturbing. Beds were comfortable and room was clean.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Nice hotel

We were in the coach house at the back of the hotel. I'm not able to climb stairs easily back into the hotel so we had to walk round to the front of the hotel into the front entrance. It was raining. Room was a bit dated but clean

Staff were great. Food was lovely. Breakfast was great

It was OK for what it was

Good for its type.

Straight forward traditional style hotel, well located for both town and the railway station ( no taxi needed) . A bit expensive for the type of hotel but this was in peak season and I daresay trade for the rest of the year is slow.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Very good hotel from the moment we got there to when we left...
    • Studio

The beds were uncomfortable for some of the group ....

Very good hotel from the moment we got there to when we left the staff were great breakfast very good and hotel is well located especially if you are doing route 500..... Had an apartment room great for me to work from ...

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Very satisfactory. I would go there again.

Combined bath and shower - instructions in how to work the shower would have been helpful.

The staff were extremely helpful. They immediately offered to carry cases and attended quickly when we had meals. They also offered to look after luggage while we waited for our train.

Great location average hotel

We had an apartment which really needs a revamp and good clean . Stains on entrance carpet fridge grubby . Also one tea bag couple o sachets o coffee and no milk doesn’t equate to tea / coffee making facilities

Breakfast was average but nice . Gentleman who booked us in was friendly and knowledgeable.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Great room in the “chalet” annexe.

Great room in the “chalet” annexe. Very comfortable with everything we needed. And a corny trouser press 😀 but what sets the hotel apart are the very friendly staff. Made us so welcome throughout. We’d definitely stay here again.

Great location and excellent accommodation

Very spacious room with plenty of room for luggage and to relax. . Comfortable bed. Bathroom was also very spacious and well appointed. Unit was on the ground floor, with parking directly outside. Lounge/bar area was very relaxing for drinks. Dinner in restaurant was delicious.

A very enjoyable stay at the Station Hotel, a real gem of a place in Thurso.

Warm, friendly and attentive staff; clean, comfortable and well-appointed room; dedicated parking spot; decent WiFi; lovely and generous breakfast; smart, modern decor; comfortable lounge area with well-stocked whisky bar; good location for walking to restaurants in Thurso.

Fantastic and generous staff made our short stay a highlight of our trip

We arrives very late and the hotel staff were still very happy to wait and help us check in. We left early the next morning to catch the ferry to the Orkneys and the staff were cerybhelpful with directions and advice and insisted on preparing breakfast we could take with us. A real highlight of our trip and a testament to their level of genuine hospitality

Simply the best
    • Studio

There was nothing we didn't like, it was wonderful.

The hospitality within the hotel,it was outstanding , the waiting staff, cleaning staff,restaurant staff also reception all excelled themselves, and other places we visited too,not to mention Robins chip shop it was wonderful, we had a super break and well rested. Pam made it all possible for us to stay the extra night and to make sure the facilities were suited for sadie as she is disabled. Many thanks to all the staff, best wishes x x

Location of room was quiet.
    • Studio

The room was in need of updating. 2 lights were not working and we felt it wasn't very clean.

Location of room was quiet. A good night's sleep was had by all. Breakfast was good, food cooked to order.

Convenient location and staff were pleasant

Horrible, very small, single room with no window in bedroom, or in ensuite, just one skylight. Room didn't seem particularly clean either and shower, radiator etc very battered. Not good value for money compared to other places I've stayed in Thurso.

Convenient location and staff were pleasant

Enjoyed my stay.
    • Studio

Access to my room was down/up stairs or round the car park. No one offered to carry my case. I'm a young 79 year old and that would have been a welcome gesture. NB I wouldn't normally complain about that but realise you would prefer a frank answer to this question.

Break journey to Orkney so no rush for ferry in morning.

Ideal stopover before catching ferry to Stromness. Breakfast was excellent, fish and chips in bar for evening meal pretty good too. Good value small hotel. Super staff.

OK for a short stay in Thurso

My room a long narrow motel style space lit by one window at the entry.

Friendly reception. Reasonable position near town center, but not close to rail station as assumed by name. Good breakfast

Location, made to order breakfast, staff answered requests...

Internet did not work at all in our room for 2 days. Had to go to lobby for service.

Location, made to order breakfast, staff answered requests promptly about heater, parking on premises

average hotel

The Hotel was like a rabbit warren but was ok once you got used to it. My room was VERY small and the bed very soft which wasnt a major problem for a one night stay. i was unable to use the shower as the plastic shower curtain was so small it clung to my wet body every time i moved so I had to end up having a bath which for me was very difficult as I have a medical problem.

There was a good sized courtyard for parking.

We would not hesitate to stay here again when in the area.

The staff were exceptionally welcoming. The dinner and breakfast were really good. The room was smart. We liked the fact that having our dog with us was no problem. Thankyou,

I felt very much at home and would like to stay longer next time.

I had no dislikes

I am somewhat disabled and the staff were all really helpful with my luggage etc. They were all very friendly and went out of their way to make me feel welcome and my stay comfortable.

Hotel caters for coach parties rather than individual bookings. Fine for a single night.

Apartment was up four flights of stairs, which my travel weary back and legs did not appreciate. Rooms stank of cigarettes. Suspect it was usually used by staff since cupboard contained vacuum cleaner and bathroom cupboard had many duplicates of shower caps, hard soap etc. stored in it... But no complimentary toiletries provided. Nowhere to open a suitcase, so had to use sofa in living room (didn’t book apartment, booked a large double room!) Bed narrow. Shower head permanently fixed to wall, very high up, did not make washing easy.

Food was great. Staff were welcoming and efficient. Bathroom was extremely clean!

Would highly recommend. Will definitely be back to stay when next in the area

No complaints at all.

Good selection menu at breakfast. Friendly staff and very comfortable clean room and bathroom, car park at the rear with easy access.

Rather good enjoyed it here.

Not much. Restaurant looked old.

It was easy to find. Bar area is lovely. Restaurant is a little dated. Staff seemed friendly. Rooms extremely big. Very comfortable bed. Very good.

Stayed many times at the Station and like the refresh in the bar

Evening meal was very good. Torn chicken and haggis is a great combination and worth trying. Although breakfast was very busy with a coach trip staying service was quick and food arrived hot (poached eggs still runny!)

Fairly decent hotel which was definitely value for money

Not much really. Breakfast could have been a bit better/more inspiring - Thin toast over done

Helpful management/owners. Nice speprate unit/room to rear. Off street parking right outside room/unit

Clean, comfortable and convenient.

My wife left her walking stick on the train when we alighted at Thurso. Miraculously the hotel had a surplus cane that a previous customer left, and it was graciously given to her. What an amazing and thoughtful action! It allowed us to walk to the beach and see the town. And it made it easy for her to continue on our trip to the highlands of Scotland without trauma. Our room was comfortably large.

Stay here, its great!
    • Studio

Really hard bed (although the first time we stayed it was a perfect bed, so probably multiple types throughout)

The proprietors were excellent. Service was cracking. Breakfast was decent (really stingey with the beans though). PARKING!

Really good hotel with friendly staff and a nice breakfast.

Neither of us could get any connection from the WiFi. It's a shame as it's the main reason I chose this hotel, as the WiFi was great last year. We were only there for one night so admittedly I did not inform staff of the issue which they may have been able to resolve if I did.

Really good hotel with friendly staff and a nice breakfast. Rooms are comfortable and spacious, with a good shower.

Great base for the far north.

The property shows its age.

Very quiet, even on a night when a tour bus was there. A great location for a day trip to the Orkneys. Much better than John O’Groats, where is little to do b

It is somewhere to stay in Thurso.

Very average.

No lift but was given a ground floor room. Being a single room it was a bit gloomy. Early breakfast provided for ferry catchers. Person at reception was helpful.

Average and overpriced

The decor in room is fairly dated as was the tv. No lift available so had to take luggage up a narrow staircase. View from room window was terrible. A young man (staff) allowed himself into my room whilst I was there, with no explanation why. Just said sorry I didn’t know you were in here??? I had checked in an hour or so beforehand. Food in bar was fine and decor really nice and fresh as it’s been newly decorated. I didn’t bother to stay for breakfast.

Average and overpriced

Incomparable with anywhere else - it was that good!

Extremely comfortable and enjoyable. Owners and staff welcoming friendly informative helpful. It was like visiting family. Great restaurant for dinner, wines, breakfast.

A very comfortable stay in a friendly hotel at reasonable cost

Comfy bed. Very clean and comfortable room. Excellent breakfast choice. Staff are very friendly and helpful and it feels genuine. Very good location being so close to the train station and a short walk from the beach.

Good overnight stop

Hot water took a long time coming through, floorboards very noisy in the apartment we were in. Soft background music at breakfast might be worth thinking about, felt it was a little too quiet in the dining room.

Friendly staff, plentiful breakfast with as much toast and coffee as you wanted served by a very attentive waitress. Nothing too much bother. Nice comfy lounge bar with well stocked bar. Clean hotel very close to railway station.

A warm friendly hotel with plenty of space in the room and good dining

The size of the room and the breakfast. Land lady was particularly kind and helpful. when I came to leave there was snow on the ground so she drove me to the station (I use a walking stick)

Old and tired

The massive barn of a room was in the car park! It felt like it was last refurbished in the 1970s. Bathroom not great.

Breakfast was good. Staff were helpful.

We travelled on 3 motorbikes and were very happy with the parking.

Parking was very good..... off road. We arrive very early and were given an upgrade on our room with the biggest shower i have ever seen. Also there was a lovely man on reception who opened the bar for especially for us.

Hotel breakfast was good and morning staff ok but owner needs retraining this is 2018 not 1950

Could not find our reservation on arrival until show my confirming e mail . Got the feeling guests were not welcome .

Receptionist (male) not welcoming and despite the hotel being empty gave us the worst room with a gable wall outside window so dark and no view .

We were pleasantly surprised by the terrific welcome we were given.

We were given a cooked breakfast at 6.15am as we were catching an earl;y train. We also got a packed lunch that was perfect for our long train journey. The staff were all helpful and thoughtful.

Thank you: it was a lovely stay. I would happily recommend and return.

The sausages at breakfast could have been of better quality: the rest of the meal was lovely; I just think that the sausage let the rest down. However, I would visit again.

Friendly warm staff. Helpful.

Excellent hotel, fantastic brealfast and helpful staff, will certainly be booking again...Thanks

Staff were very friendly from the moment of arrival until you departed. I was accommodated in one of the Chalet rooms, which was clean, compact and very comfortable, great for a short stop over.

Clean and Comfortable

The room was very clean and comfortable, helpful, polite and friendly staff. Excellent breakfast. To be recommended for a stay in Thurso. Would use same hotel if returning to Thurso.

The location and parking were good.

The bed was extremely uncomfortable. The room and hotel in general had a strange smell which put me off eating there. The breakfast was not good. I would not stay at this hotel again.

The location and parking were good.

Good location for trip to Orkneygood location project work now

First impression,was disappointing but the room was actually spacious.

Good range of time for breakfast & very good food. Shower & linen were good.

Adequate, but will not be booking the hotel again

Bed was uncomfy, the mattress needed replacing as I rolled into the middle being the lighter of the two of us. The bathroom facilities whilst adequate needed updating as did the rest of the hotel.

Staff friendly. There was plenty of space in the bedroom.

great stay in a nice hotel with very friendly and helpful staff.

Nothing - everything was super.

the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful - couldn't have wished for better. We finished our business sooner than expected and so the Manager agreed to let us leave early without a penalty cost - something which meant a lot to us and we were very grateful.

in an outside annex with car parked right outside the door...

initial greeting a little basic,poor communication with largely foreign staff although very friendly.i would not hesitate to stay again good value and location.

in an outside annex with car parked right outside the door,you could feel a little isolated from the hotel facilities but i liked it.

Fine for sleep, crap for all else.

Food was terrible for dinner, dry sugary and very small portions. Breakfast was atroshious again tastless, small portions and the breakfast service was unhelpul erratic and snippy

Off street parking, comphy couches

Could and should have been so much better.

The gentleman who met me was quite out of order with his attitude to me. I had just finished a 70m cycle trip and he asked me to leave my bicycle £2.5k outside unattended which I refused to do. I thought I had booked into the hotel but was shown to the Coach house . The bath water was only warm and not the hot water I required.

The dining area was good and the lady on reception very friendly and pleasant.

The family bedroom was big which was good.
    • Studio

The bathroom was very dated and could do with modernising. The breakfast was average but was acceptable as it was included in our room rate but not good value if you were to buy separately.

The family bedroom was big which was good. The staff were very helpful in making up an extra bed for us. Also we were having trouble with choosing something for the children to eat but one of the staff helpfully got the kitchen to prepare a smaller portion from the adult menu.

Excellent set up certainly would go back there.

The breakfast was included however it could have been better.

Small chalet was nice with parking directly out side room. Well set out with all you need warm clean and modern.

The best hotel we have stayed in at Thurso. Had a very relaxed time away and would definitely book a

Couldn't fault anything

We were in one of the chalets.It was imaculate, the bed was very comfortable,the shower was great with plenty hot water.The housekeeping staff were all friendly and helpful.The breakfast was excellent.

Conveniently located and comfortable hotel

A short walk from both the railway station and the town centre and only a little further from the sea front. The staff were very accommodating, providing us with an early breakfast at 06.00 as we had a train to catch. Room and bathroom were both very spacious and the bed was very comfortable.

Showing 1 – 75

We Price Match
We Price Match
Low rates • No booking fees • Find cheaper? We'll refund the difference!