Reviews of Steventon House Hotel

#11 of 17 hotels in Abingdon

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Friendly staff.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Room 8 had cobwebs and dead bugs on the inside of the windows and the window sills. The pillows smelled of sweat, fortunately we brought our own.

Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

It was somewhere to sleep for the night following a family wedding-nothing to write home about.
    • Family Room

Decoration in the Annex in need of refreshing (scuffed paintwork, watermarks on bathroom wall). Generally tatty. Staff spoke and understood English poorly. On enquiring prior to our stay, we were told they couldn't guarantee to let us use one of our rooms to get changed for a wedding. There would have been a charge of £20 to use it if it had been available.

Having a proper single bed in the family room, rather than just a roll away bed or folding bed.

Quiet and comfortable, but could probably find better value elsewhere.
    • Family Room

I can't help feeling that this place could just be so much nicer. Most things were alright (and nothing was properly bad!), but not as could as they perhaps could be. It is an attractive property in a good location but the accommodation in the annex is somewhat tired. Even the bar, which appears to have been modernised fairly recently, could perhaps have been more tastefully done. No cot could be provided, although we were pre-warned and brought our own travel cot.

Friendly and helpful staff. Quiet location with good access to the A34 for onward travel.

Lovely stay
    • Deluxe Double Room

Mattress was a bit too hard for us

Staff were very friendly and attentive, they couldn't have been any more welcoming. Room was lovely and very clean. The shower was AMAZING, the most powerful shower I've had in a hotel. Breakfast was very nice.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

• Deluxe Double Room

Annex rooms were old fashioned & tired. One had a drain outside that bubbled with brown, stinking water overflowing. They couldn't open the windows. We waited hours in restaurant for our food. Value for money was poor

Staff were very pleasant but had far too much to do.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Wonderful
    • 4-Poster Room

Check out doesn't open until 8 or at least it didn't when I stayed That's too late considering there are a lot of business guests.

The hotel is beautiful! It looks as though it might have been refurbished at some point recently because the decor is modern. I started in the superior 4 poster room, number 7 on the second floor. It was huge, the bed was beautiful, the colour in the room was sublime. The bathroom again was to die for, with a lovely powerful modern shower and really stylish lighting throughout. Breakfast wasn't fantastic (the bacon was overcooked) but nothing to complain over. I think that for £95 for the night it was also fantastic value for money and (I stay away more than once per week) this is one of the hotels I would stay in again in a heartbeat.

All the Staff were excellent, Martin was particularly...
    • Deluxe Double Room

General cleanliness was ok, but let down by dusty surfaces in the bar, table legs and chair legs especially, just needs a bit more TLC.

All the Staff were excellent, Martin was particularly helpful and very polite & breakfast was really good, our deluxe room was very spacious & a comfortable bed.

Could do a lot better

Staff attitude- sorry nothing we can do just put up with it attitude. Time to get served food (over and hour) then came out luke warm.

Nice decor looked a great place to stay

Not secure

The windows opened fully on the ground floor so anyone could of got in. The room was like a sauna - I know the hotel can’t be held responsible for the extreme temperature at the moment, but they knew it was a very hot room and offered a fan! I will not go back or recommend. Unable to sleep all night.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

The hotel was a pleasant surprise. We will stay there again on our way South.

Only complaint we had was there wasn't any white toast for breakfast, so we ordered brown. The brown "toast" was served but was just warm bread. Next time we ask for it to be toasted a bit more.

The room was clean, comfortable and well appointed. The hotel restaurant is closed on Sunday evenings, fair enough. The staff directed us to The Packhorse just about a minute down the road and the foo was excellent. Breakfast was included on the room price and it was nice. Fresh fruit, cereals, yogurts and lovely Full English.

Disappointed
    • Deluxe Double Room

Restaurant is closed every Sunday evening, it does state in the small print but wouldn’t of booked if I had I realised this. The stair carpet looked like it had never been hoovered. The bathroom could of been cleaned better. Extremely hot, would of expected air con considering the price.

Bedroom was nicely decorated but cleaning needs picking up on.

very good, thank you.
    • 4-Poster Room

Is very hot in summer, needs air conditioning I think.

Is ok and does the job, I was on business, and the location suits me, the staff are very helpful, is a home from home for me.

I enjoyed my stay and would visit again.

I must have waited about 10 minutes at reception before anyone came to serve me, and there wasn't a call bell I could have used.

Lovely room, great bathroom and shower and good breakfast menu.

Staff very good, room very basic, the shower very small, I...

Staff very good, room very basic, the shower very small, I am hoping to get a better room next time, was not good value, but the staff made up for the low standard of room and I am looking forward to staying there again

The rooms were very comfortable
    • Deluxe Double Room

The breakfast was quite poor - given the charge for the room we expected to at least get a half decent breakfast, but alas no. So much so, that we did not even bother going for breakfast after our second night

The rooms were very comfortable

Great hotel for stay in Oxford area.

Quiet location. Room was clean and well maintained. Bathroom was spacious and shower was excellent. Check in was quick and effortless. All in all a good experience. We ate in the restaurant which was good.

Served a practical purpose.

Had to eat in bar as large noisy group in restaurant. Bar was soleless. No atmosphere and decor is minilistic. Menu boring and expensive. Staff didnt have a good understanding of English. Hotel grounds need tidying up.

The bed was comfy. The bedroom had ok facilities.

very friendly and helpful stuff
    • Family Room

- wland was not properly working (sometimes very slow or bad connection) - breakfast available but I didnt expect to pay additional for more than yoghurt and cookies

very friendly and helpful stuff

The four poster room was beautiful and the bathroom is...
    • 4-Poster Room

The bathroom had an awful sewage smell, which made the room smell as well. The room was boiling and corridor was like a sauna. Full English breakfast served, looked like it had been cooked a while, reheated and baked beans where practically burnt. Disappointing for £145.

The four poster room was beautiful and the bathroom is beautifully decorated

I stopped booking all other hotels as this beat them all
    • Family Room

Wall light switches at arm's distance from bed (this is so minor as room has everything)

Breakfast, reception, room size and conditions, bathroom, wake up call, grounds, taxi calling

Good, value for money hotel.
    • Family Room

There was a lot of rubbish in the car park and by the green areas, especially cigarette ends. We picked up a lot of this rubbish as we hate seeing it. Also the bed side tables in the room were very dusty. Our room was a little dated.

We loved the decor in the main house. The cooked breakfast was excellent and some staff were particularly helpful, especially Abdul.

We liked the accommodation, a shame we had a few issues
    • Family Room

No extra pillows in room, had to ask for them. Not enough channels on the TV, Used a blanket which was in the wardrobe that wasn't clean and had hairs on. No bedside lamp on one side of bed. One of us asked for bacon at breakfast to be crispy and was told it was not possible. Was woken up in early hours by a rattling noise outside bathroom window.

Lovely comfortable beds, nice cooked breakfast, parking right outside our accommodation which wasn't in the actual hotel.

Lovely decor in the main building with a sewing machine...

Their was a lot of noise in our room (which was in the annex) from people walking up and down the stairs. I think the sound insulation could be much better.

Lovely decor in the main building with a sewing machine theme - we were told this was because Mr Singer had owned the house at one point.

Poor

Booking made on wrong date, hotel refused to change it and still took payment. Complained via email and never had response. Trip was to scope potential wedding venue, and our mind was made up after this.

The shower was wonderful.

Duvet cover needs to be checked more thoroughly, ours was stained and ripped. Reception desk was not covered during the night or first thing in the morning and we were given the wrong times for breakfast on Sunday morning, and the restaurant needs more than one person waiting tables.

The shower was wonderful. Breakfast was a little slow but adequate.

Lovely location, quaint.

We had a group of 5 in the room next door who were very noisy all night partying. The manager had words but no sleep. No lunch was being served on the Saturday.

Very clean and a great spot.

Lovely, luxurious hotel with delicious food - very highly recommended!
    • 4-Poster Room

The only thing I found a bit odd was that the heating turned off when you weren't in the room? I think that's how it works.....I like tropical temperatures so I found that a little annoying but honestly, one of the best hotels I've stayed at!

First off the location and the first impression of the hotel is lovely and romantic. The bed was very comfortable, bath was absolutely amazing, dinner was delicious - wish we stayed for breakfast but we had to rush off! I would definitely recommend Steventon House Hotel and I would definitely stay again if I were to visit Oxford.

Didn't love it but didn't dislike it either!!!
    • Deluxe Double Room

Poor TV signal, lots of buffering. Fire alarm was set off by apparently steam from someone's shower so all had to stand outside for half an hour at 7am. Bar prices expensive, a large gin and tonic and a bottle of cider cost £14. Rooms were too warm and could do with a strip on the bottom of the doors to block out the strip of light that you can see though the night.

Nicely decorated rooms, nice di ing room and good breakfast.

A good stay, once you get there!
    • Deluxe Double Room

You definitely need to drive or take a taxi, especially if you have luggage. The nearest bus stop is in Steventon, a 15 minute walk down the side of an A-road that doesn't really have pavement. I think they should offer free pick ups from the local village, but I guess they are a fairly small hotel (8 rooms or so).

Comfy bed, good shower, soft carpets, good breakfast options.

Good hotel great location for me.

One annoyance, the housekeeping lady knocked door twice seeking access before 09:00. Check out time is 11 they should leave alone until that time or check out time It’s annoying.

Reception staff and and bar staff great. Rooms comfortable and food and drink good standard.

clever photos, but sadly misleading.
    • Family Room

We booked a family room, which are separate from the main hotel, and more Resemble staff accommodation. A broken window next to the door had been boarded up and painted over, but the broken glass was still left on the carpet edges. I’m sure the main hotel rooms are better quality, but we felt disappointed by our lower grade family room.

The cooked breakfast was tasty.

A really great place to stay - we will be back.

Eggs - the eggs in the breakfast lacked flavour and tasted like they were not free range

Great accomodation, nice staff and good choice of vegetarian sausages in the breakfast

I would recommend the Steventon House Hotel for any celebration.

The only thing I didn't like was having to leave.

The staff went over and above our expectations in making sure our stay was comfortable. The food was amazing. Everyone that visited with us were very impressed.

Poor laundry facilities: I sent a shirt to be cleaned and...
    • Deluxe Double Room

Poor laundry facilities: I sent a shirt to be cleaned and the grease stain on the shirt had not been removed. The hotel claimed they were unable to refund me the £3.40 as they were not liable. I explained that as they have contracted out there cleaning services under UK law they were liable however as it was a small amount of money and I did not have the time to discuss further I did not take this further. Just be aware if you need anything cleaned at this hotel, also I would thought the hotel will refund me the money without the in-depth discussion.

Nice room great staff nil stores in kitchen

I went there to visit friends in Abingdon and celebrate my birthday, I phoned up the week before to check that the restaurant was working and was assured that it was. On the day of my departure from home I received an email advising me that the restaurant was shut due sickness. Very helpfully, I was advised that there was a fine eating establishment just a few minutes down the road. On arrival I found a complementary bottle of wine, as an apology in my room. Nice! On the second night the restaurant was working and I ordered duck - 'Sorry- All gone sir'. Ok, then I asked for pork - again "Sorry all gone sir'. OK then how about soup and a roll? You can guess the answer! In the end I asked our very apologetic waiter what he could serve me with and settled for a very nice burger.

nice room, superbly helpful staff

Would go again.spacious,clean room and excellent staff.
    • 4-Poster Room

The room was freezing upon arrival and the view from our room was poor.

The room was beautiful and extremely spacious.very clean and well laid out.food was exceptional,staff could not do enough for you.

The room was very comfortable and had everything required.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Location not ideal as had to reply on taxi which were extremely unreliable especially in the mornings. Despite booking them they always turned up at least 20 mins late. Whilst the hotel was lovely I stayed in the main house and there appeared to be some type of boiler/machine in a cupboard outside my room which made a horrendous noise from approx. 5am onwards. The food in the evening wasn't great so I only ate there once. The breakfast was good although the dining room could have done with some piped music in the morning to break the uncomfortable silence.

The room was very comfortable and had everything required.

Great for one night and trips to Wantage or Abingdon
    • Family Room

Room cool as based in the outer buildings. Breakfast was a rushed small portion. Edible but not memorable...budget?

Bed was comfy and room clean. Desk was practical and ample parking.

Nice hotel, reception staff very professional

Restaurant not open for evening meal due being shut over my two day stay Which I was only informed on my arrival Which I understand it has to be renovated But no information on booking this hotel was that indicated that was going to be the case no evening meals

A warm welcome on arriving

Good value, and very much what we wanted for a one night stay.
    • Deluxe Double Room

The bar area (very large) is rather soulless, and was lit by curious blue lighting (maybe designed to create an atmosphere).

Clean, modern, comfortable bedroom and bathroom. Good mattress.

Main hotel looked clean and cosy.
    • Family Room

We were in the annexe and our room was dirty. Crisps under the bed. Dust everywhere and dirty scum in the bathroom around the sink.

Main hotel looked clean and cosy. Lovele bar and breakfast. Lovely comfy beds.

comfortable relaxing friendly with great food

Liked everything

No need to go outside to eat it is delicious in the hotel restaurant . Room clean and very comfortable staff always very friendly and helpful.

Lovely hotel, very comfortable with calm atmosphere.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Breakfast was very rushed, cooked breakfast arrived before we had finished cereal. Coffee not great. cramped breakfast room, very noisy.

Room very light and airy. Comfortable bed and great shower. Towels looked brand new. Very quiet once in the room. Staff were great very friendly and professional.

Fantastic little hotel, stay there every time

It's a shame breakfast is not a buffet so if you are in a hurry in the morning you may need to skip it

It's a great hotel, it's a bit smaller and I think that makes it feel more comfortable

A decnet stay but not amazing
    • 4-Poster Room

Heating didn't work. Bathroom only has a towel rail to heat it which means it is a very cold room ( even in early Nov) TV is not easy to view as obstructed by 4 poster bed posts. It is also right above the desk so cannot be viewed if using desk

Room was nice but had some issues

Very enjoyable.

I'm afraid the breakfast arrangements let the hotel down. The staff were aware we were staying and bringing two extra guests. The table wasn't laid and the food, although very tasty was only just warm.

The room was lovely and the bathroom and shower facilities excellent. The bar area was pleasant and very comfortable.

Pleasant but with Issues
    • Family Room

The room we were given was not part of the main house and was being presented as sleeping up to four. The room when booked said it had a bath but this was not the case. The sink wouldn’t hold water and the shower was so poor as to be barely usable. The rest of room was comfortable if a little drafty through the windows at times. The Hotel were receptive of the issues but weren’t able to address the issue whilst we were there. And we’re pleasant, polite and helpful, and there was an agreed adjustment in compensation. They thanked us for bringing rhe issues to there attention for the benefit of future guests

The Hotel in general and its aspect was pleasant

Perfect place for a relaxing weekend!

We were happy with everything, thank you!

The room was very comfortable, all the members of staff were very friendly and attentive to our needs. A beautiful location, perfect for chillaxing! The food was delicious, with generous portions!

Beautiful building and lovely rooms.
    • 4-Poster Room

The room was very hot we had to open both of the windows. The menu on the website is different to the what they offer in the restaurant, I was expecting Indian themed meals and it was a big disappointment, and as we were the only ones in the restaurant it was a tad awkward but what didn’t help is they had radio ones grime time playing? Not suitable for a restaurant when your trying to have a romantic dinner!

The bed was so comfortable and the bathroom was lovely! Really nice decor in the room, really clean and bright. The staff were really inviting and helpful!

Disappointed.

Small double bed. Very noisy doors slamming shut during the night. View from room 23 overlooked huge rusty metal storage container. No helpful staff at breakfast. Kept on running out of bread, butter, cutlery, coffee.

Size of room.

Will use again as the price was good compared to the premier inn.
    • Deluxe Double Room

The breakfast was poor and the staff were too attentive. With a few small changes the hotel could be greatly improved for example the majority of the guests were contractors and the evening meal menu was going for high end clientele but the prices were high yet the quality average, also the menus were just a print off that didn't reflect the tone. Additionally the overall mood lighting in the bar would fit a soho sex club but for a hotel it didn't work.

The building and features.

The staff were very welcoming & friendly, the food was...

NONE

The staff were very welcoming & friendly, the food was wonderful & hot. The room I had was very clean & comfy, light & airy. I can not fault the Hotel in anyway & would highly recommend it to anyone. Thank you too all the staff.

Very functional but you can probably get similar facilities at a chain like Premier Inns
    • Deluxe Double Room

Atmosphere in hotel lacked warmth. Decor was quite stark. Paintwork on stairs needed refreshing . Sign to emergency exit on first floor led to a cupboard / door and could see no sign of an exit stairs. Breakfast room was very poorly lit.

Ensure bathroom was modern and shower worked well with good water pressure and hot water

Breakfast is random - it is split into different rooms (i.

Breakfast is random - it is split into different rooms (i.e. hot buffet in one room, yoghurts, fruit in the other room) stayed in annex - nice room, refurbished, but there is little insulation between the ground floor and 1st floor - you can hear people walking around very easily - no sleep!

Comfortable apart from Breakfast.
    • Deluxe Double Room

there wasn't enough of a selection for breakfast. Also by the time we got to our table it was COLD. Was not impressed.

we enjoyed our evening meal.we had a comfortable night.

Very Good value for money. I would stay there again.

Birds in the trees in the car-park "pooped" all over my car!

Good clean room and en-suite. Tea/Coffee/Hot Chocolate sachets available. Iron & Ironing Board available. Good wifi. Breakfast was individually cooked and arrived with little delay. Checking In/Out was easy

Stayed there before.

Just needs a few colourful artworks on the walls in the new extension.

Stayed there before. Since then new extension finished. Furnished to high standard. Food very good. Going back there in a few weeks.

The main house is OK but te grounds and annexe could do with some TLC.
    • Family Room

The breakfast menu was misleading, offering Prunes etc. none of which were available. Windows in the bathroom, meant lack of privacy, (we kept the blinds down). Stained toilet bowl. Directions to hotel misleading - given as Milton Hill. There is a Milton Hill but the hotel is not located there. Milton Hill is an AREA of Steventon, Hotel is actually situated on the road to Didcot.

Lovely place
    • Family Room

We're told room was ready but when we went to room it wasn't , we told staff and was addressed immediately and also we arrived early for check in so I'm sure this was a once off

Lovely place staff lovely , especially Abdul who was very accommodating

For once not dissapointed
    • Deluxe Double Room

We stayed here after a visit to Oxford, the location suited us fine for an overnight stay but probably wouldn't choose it for a weekend break.

This hotel is 3 star but punches way above its weight, the room was spacious clean and well appointed, the bathroom was superb with a shower that really works, we didn't have dinner here but the breakfast was very good, also the staff were very helpful.

Very friendly staff

Party held at the hotel with very loud music until 12.00am, we couldn't have the windows open as it was even louder. Guests arriving back to their rooms very nosily at 2.00am in the morning chatting and banging doors. We had to be up early for an event that started at 8.30 and that was the reason for staying. unfortunately breakfast didn't start until 8.00am and therefore we was only able to have a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee before we had to dash off. We did make the staff aware of this when we checked in and I thought it would have been a nice touch if they took our cooked breakfast order then so that it was ready for us to eat at 8.00 when the restaurant opened

Very friendly staff

Poor fixtures and fittings let room down
    • Family Room

fixtures and fittings need improving. Bathroom Windows and French windows stiff and hard to open on a very hot day. Damp stains on wall not properly dealt with. Toilet bowl stained. Bath sides coming loose. Bath plug not fitting correctly. patio outside had broken stones and a full skip nearby.

comfy bed. Good wifi. good tv reception. Near where I needed to be.

Fairly average accommodation

We were in the outbuildings so could not access the wifi. At the cost of the accommodation you really expect to have wifi at the very least. There was also building work taking place so it was quite noisy. Also this meant that you could not access the bar. The restaurant was quite expensive with pretty basic food.

The hotel was pleasant enough and the one member of staff who seemed to be on duty 24 hours a day was nice. The room was a decent size and the bathroom was lovely especially the power shower!

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Very Comfortable!
    • Deluxe Double Room

The bar is very small, and for the rest of the house not very upmarket, but there was cold beer and that is the main thing!

The Staff were so friendly! Myself and my partner stayed just for one night but we had a lovely time.

Nice, comfortable hotel in a handy location
    • Deluxe Double Room

Parking layout at the front a bit confusing, though there was building work going on for an extension.

Indian Restaurant on site and option of walking down the road a short way to a nice pub. Ironing board and Iron in the room Very close to Harwell & RAL

A good place in the countryside for a for a very active birthday party

A quiet space for us oldies to talk with others we had not seen for a long time.

We were there for a birthday party, lots of people but 4 rooms linked together gave great atmosphere. Service was good.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Rated Adequate

Lack of heating in room on arrival made it cold. Asked for and was given a portable heater. No heating on when returned in the evening,

Free wifi and good parking

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

I'll be back!

Poached egg was undercooked and coffee a bit stewed. A cooked breakfast is the measure of a hotel by my reckoning. Just a little bit more effort required in this department.

The staff were friendly and efficient, the room clean and comfortable and quiet. Superbly located for Harwell campus. I shall stay here again

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

The staff are very welcoming, the property looks so quaint. The Christmas lights made me smile too

Room 11 smells of damp, the loft hatch would not fit so a draft was felt, there was no heating in the room until I turned on the radiator but still needed the additional blanket as the room did not heat up quickly. When its raining you get wet going to the restaurant.

The chili monkfish curry was fantastic.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Nice hotel with friendly staff but pricey for what it is.

Although a nice hotel, £90 for 1 night even with a delicious breakfast is a little expensive given the facilities available.

The staff were very helpful & the breakfast was delicious.it was a little noisy due to a Christmas Party at the hotel but not enough to keep us awake.

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

Very good breakfast and comfortable room

Cannot thing of anything which impaired our stay

Very good breakfast served with a smile. Very comfortable bed and room good sized. Also interesting history as it was former home of Singer sewing machine magnate

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

Chicken tikka Caesar salad
    • Deluxe Double Room

shower had very little pressure and the temperature dial was broken. No plain chicken for the Caesar salad, only a chicken tikka Caesar salad. Curry and Parmesan don't go well together.

Convenient for Milton park, helpful staff. Beds are comfy

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

Business overnighter

Main road can be awkward to get onto in the morning as car park exit is close to a blind bend

Modernised warm and comfortable. Worth £80 per night b&b.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

Ok stay

Restaurant was indian food only, no alternatives or anything plain to eat like chips or potatoes. Glasses not clean. Hotel was boiling hot, all rads on and although i switched my one off in the room, it was still hot in there. Breakfast options poor, ended up with an over ripe apple.

Bedroom was fine, Nice tv, desk and bed.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Unfortunately on one night our sleep was interrupted by a...

Unfortunately on one night our sleep was interrupted by a disturbance from other guests having a violent argument to which the police had to be called! Although this was not the fault of the hotel, it was very upsetting.