Reviews of Hotel Sunnyside

5-7 The Crescent, Newquay, TR7 1DT, United Kingdom

#26 of 36 hotels in Newquay

I couldn’t of been more disappointed.
    • Double Room with Sea View

A twin room does not constitute as a double if you pull the beds together. The room stunk. The toilet didn’t work properly. And the shower wouldn’t run any thing other than cold. And cocaine rubbed into the grain of the pine desk in the bedroom Absolutely massively disappointed.

How on Earth have you just calculated a 4.6 when I just gave awful feedback. Perhaps it’s booking.coms very misleading rating system that lead us to believe this was a nice hotel. I would like some further contact please.

Cheap, clean and cheerful
    • Budget Twin Room

Room was pokey - but that's what we knew we were getting and paid for. Hard to get in and out of a wetsuit!

Clean, friendly, accessible cheap place to stay. Great.

Fab!
    • Budget Double Room

Unfortunately the shower wouldn’t warm up on one of the days due to the boiler not working. However, the staff were lovely and sorted the situation out to the best of their ability.

Amazing stay, staff were so kind and lovely! Perfect for a weekend away, especially being so near the beach and restaurants.

Overall, it was a good short stay. Brilliant staff. Good view and easy access.
    • Budget Triple Room

The bathroom is a too narrow, can't really have good comfortable shower or change. There were no chairs in the room. Room was a little too stuffy. You can hear movements from next door and the room above you.

Staff was very friendly, welcoming and helpful! We managed to get free parking throughout our stay thanks to the brilliant hospitality of their staff! We get amazing beach view right in front of the hotel! The hotel is easy access to high street, we are pleased to get Cornish pasties nearby everyday!

Clean tidy practical
    • Budget Twin Room

No chairs to sit on and we didn't use the wardrobe could have had two chairs instead of the wardrobe

The fact that we were in town Central and we had our own bathroom

Cheap and central! But not clean enough!
    • Budget Double Room

The cleanliness, there was bird feces on the window of the bedroom, the carpet was ripped and dirty as well. The bathroom was so outdated.

We stayed as two female travellers who wanted to do some walks and stay somewhere central. And this place is exactly that. It is cheap and cheerful. We stayed in a bunk bed room and the bed was big. But the room and the carpet was so dirty and disgusting it was awful. There were marks on the wall in the bedroom and the bathroom. We only stayed because it was the last couple of days of our holiday. I would not stay here if you are a couple, or family. It is just not worth it. It has the feeling of a hostel. Staff on the other hand are very smiley 24 hours there and very helpful and professional. The location is amazing though and it is literally 2 minutes from partying, shops and the nearest beach. If you want to be in New Quay just to party, this is a good place to stay. If you are in New Quay and you do not have a car this is ok too. Families and romantic couples, not so suitable.

Perfect for short stay and great location

All was great!

Lovely, cheap hotel for a short stay. The room was basic but comfy and most importantly quiet. I was worried that there will be noise from other people but didn't hear anything. Staff was very nice and helpful.

Was a good area to explore and great views
    • Double Room with Sea View

That you have to pay for having a kettle milk coffee sugar etc and towels of all the many places we have stayed we have never had to pay for having a kettle in our room

The view was fantastic from our room apart from the thick mist across the sea, shower was lovely and powerful also the room was very clean

Great location, staff and good value for money!

Room sizes were a little bit on the small side in some rooms.

Awesome location with great views, staff were always helpful and friendly and the facilities were clean.

Fantastic value for money
    • Budget Triple Room

The rooms themselves were very basic but fantastic value for money given the location and the price we paid. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, especially Becky! I couldn't recommend Sunnyside Hotel enough.

Great value for money
    • Budget Twin Room

The room was a bit small but for a weekend it´s all you need.

Ideal location! In the city centre and 20 meters from the beach. Receptionists were very nice and helpful. The room was very clean and the beds (even being bunk bed) were very comfy. Great value for money.

Ok but not value for money

No soaps provided. I think this is bare minimum which should have been provided in every room. we had to go and buy these stuff which was kind of turn off.

Location was really good. beach was near and pleasent.

Worse hotel room ever had in my life!
    • Double Room with Sea View

The room that we booked they didn't give us that room. They offered us other room and told us this is the only room available. Us I said I went with my partner and we order a double bed but they give us two single bed, there was not online system in hotel because the manager "as the Sttaf said called Emma" she had it at home. The Sttaf need call the manager and ask if I booked a room or not. No facilities like towels, shampoo... etc the TV remote control was broken it didn't worked at all...

Just the picture that I saw in Booking.com. And it was near the beach.

Great price for a comfortable one night stay
    • Single Room with Sea View

The website was honest and I knew what to expect, so there was nothing to dislike.

It was amazing value for money in a good location. Great idea to pay only for the extras you need. Very helpful and friendly staff and comfortable room. I paid extra to park my car right in front of the hotel.

Hotel was in excellent location right next to the beach and...
    • Twin Room with Sea View

Bed we're a little too hard and hotel expensive if you include all the add ons that are usually standard for most hotels.

Hotel was in excellent location right next to the beach and town. Allowed us to walk everywhere!

Hotel from hell (deep regrets ) .
    • Double Room with Sea View

Was noisy all night walls were paper thin so every noise carried through . Bathroom was a tight squeeze and very tatty . No towells or kettle in room unless paid extra on top of 90 pound a night . Then was extra 5 pound a night parking fees . So in all not good .

Position was good with a seaview from our window .

A novel experience
    • Twin Room with Sea View

Basic but not cheap, £90 per night, no breakfast. If you want towels, pay additional charge. Room cleaning, pay additional charge. Likewise for soaps, shampoo etc. If you need tea making facility, pay additional charge. Mind you, you get a free refillable bottle of water, to be filled at the water cooler downstairs in reception!! Room very hot.

Very friendly and helpful staff, could not fault! Great location and sea views from some of the rooms.

For us it was all about the fantastic views from the room.
    • Double Room with Sea View

The rooms are basic and 'no frills' so you don't expect too much, but it's a shame everything is extra - Towels £1 hire fee, £3 for the hot drinks facility, £3 for a toiletry pack and a fiver a night parking on site. My mattress had really seen better days, but not bad enough to complain. But as I said, it's all about the location.

For us it was all about the fantastic views from the room.

Very relaxing and quiet place
    • Budget Twin Room

Not disappointed with anything, the service was just as expected

Very nice and clean place, staff was very helpful with the directions and just overall great service, Will be coming back for sure, And also excellent location

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

Location was great.
    • Budget Double Room

GPS lead us to blind spot most of the time. More signs to lead the way to the property would help. Kinda labyrinth to find our room. Felt a bit claustrophobic. Our bed wasn't very comfy. Make sure that you book parking spot with this hotel as finding parking spot at the street might be pain. Blinds in our room were broken (and very dusty) so we were up with the sun.

Location was great. Nice and welcoming staff.

All we could get during Boardmasters
    • Double Room with Sea View

Really noisy as all smokers and drinkers hung around front of hotel under our window especially from 1 am after bars closed. Shower broken. £10 a day parking locally. £5 for kettle and towel. Expensive for hostel feel

Not a place to stay for couples
    • Double Room with Sea View

The room was originally booked as a double sea view room, upon arrival I was told they had upgraded us to a triple room in which I wasn't happy about due to me having to move the beds round. the room was very hot and there was only one window that would open properly which meant we weren't very comfortable throughout the night. There weren't no appliances such as a kettle or fridge so we weren't able to make any hot drinks or keep any drinks or food cold. I also noticed throughout the stay the bar downstairs never opened for drinks or food. Cleanliness of the room was poor as upon arrival we found rubbish under the bed including somebody's hat who obviously stayed there previously. The extractor fan in the room was faulty as when it was turned on it constantly smelt of burning.

The view from the room was amazing and the staff were very pleasant who always helped with any information we required.

really enjoyed this hotel to stay and will return again.
    • Single Room with Sea View

Could have done with a chair and the TV could be positioned lower.

No frills hotel. Good for those who want to get out and explore, and use it as a based to do it.

If you like people coming in uninvited then go
    • Double Room with Sea View

Didn't like the fact the receptionist gave my key to another (drunk) guest at 3am whilst me and my partner were asleep in bed( indecent).this is totally unacceptable all we got was a sorry,

I liked the view

We would stay again as it's great value for money and the location is perfect.
    • Double Room with Sea View

In our room the bathroom was a bit awkward with toilet wedged between the bath and wall and the sink and bath tub didn't appear to be very clean. There was also some horrible stains on the valance sheet on the bed.

Room is a great size with lovely view of beach. The hotel makes a great base for a long weekend. Location is perfect, right next to town and beaches. Staff are friendly and helpful.

Older style hotel but clean and comfortable.
    • Single Room with Sea View

Parking close by is limited, but both nights, I was lucky enough to get parked in the street outside the hotel, which was also 24 hour free parking. Somehow, I got locked in my room, as the lock did not turn far enough to allow the snib to open properly. Called security, came promptly and on trying a second (probably a Master) opened from the outside. I had no further problems after that, so it was possibly something I did to the lock as I opened it to get into my room.

Sarah in reception was very pleasant and most helpful regarding parking and places to eat. Only other staff I met were night security, who were also very pleasant to talk to. I liked the fact that the small but comfortable room had its own en-suite and a view overlooking a park, plus a sea view. The hotel possibly need updating, but in a choice between older decor with cheap price, or more expensive, up to date decor, I would choose the former, as long as it is clean and comfortable, which it definitely was. If you want more modern accomodation, there are plenty of places available, but expect to pay much more than this hotel. I was generally very satisfied with my stay here and would certainly stay here again.

Cheap and cheerful, excellent location.
    • Double Room with Sea View

Bathroom could do with a little bit of love

Cheap and cheerful, excellent location. Good for travelers or just a quick weekend break. Have stayed a couple of times myself.

Bank holiday birthday weekend
    • Budget Double Room

that the bar shut quite early was closed before 11pm would of liked the chance to have a quiet drink before retiring for the night

The room was very good especially as it was a basic room but it had everything u needed. TV, bed & bathroom we was comfortable & happy.

Beautiful location and a comfortable and very friendly hotel
    • Triple Room with Sea View

The security bond was unexpected but thankfully was cancelled very quickly upon our return home. The TV didn't work in one of our rooms and staff were unable to fix it unfortunately.

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the room was very spacious. We slept really well and enjoyed waking up to the beautiful sea view.

Great location but very noise
    • Budget Quadruple Room

is very expensive for the offer that. bad beds and the others customers did too much noise. We used a room for three without view, maybe the other option is better.

the location is great and the staff is very friendly

• Reviewed: 28 October 2016

The staff were really friendly, the location was fantastic...
    • Budget Triple Room

It is a budget hotel which means you pay for the extras, but that's what it says when you book, its not the most comfortable of rooms but again is designed for short stays. Do be aware it will likely be loud on the weekends! Not the hotels fault, but a brilliant hotel for those in Cornwall having a group get together..

The staff were really friendly, the location was fantastic and there was good facilities downstairs. Value for money and is what it says on the tin!

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Hell of a stay!!
    • Double Room with Sea View

Unfortunately, there is not a lower rating scale to grade the dreadful stay at your facility in Newquay. My Family were booked in for two nights but after the first nights disturbance and total dis-respect that other guests had for us we took the decision to leave. The staff although apologetic either seemed to inept or not to be empowered to do anything which was surprising because we were informed of a strict code of quietness after hours and respect for our fellow guests on arrival. Having complained to Jenny Williams regarding this matter, she investigated and suggested that nothing was untoward. Yet the person on reception had been aware of the inappropriate noise and had stated that she had had words with the guests responsible. There is a suggestion also that this information is not getting recorded and passed on to management.

Nothing particularly

Nice room, Shame about the loud speaker from the pub below!
    • Budget Double Room

The brewhouse pub was directly below my room and had a loud bassey speaker running all through the day and night until 11.30pm so wasn't peaceful.

Good size room.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

Best to look elsewhere I think.
    • Double Room with Sea View

A lift would be very useful. The hotel also smells quite bad. Not sure if it is the carpet or what it is but there is a definite foul smell. I was worried about walking on the carpet in my room in bare feet. The bathroom is so very small & the loo so very close to the bath that it is almost impossible to complete the task in hand without some serious acrobatic skills. I would not stay here again & I cannot in good conscience recommend it to other travelers. Not a good experience at all.

The staff are friendly, kind & helpful & the views of the sea are spectacular. Truly those are the only good things I can say about this hotel.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

-Hotel employees are extremely friendly and helpful.
    • Budget Quadruple Room

-Hotel employees are extremely friendly and helpful. -The price of the room is cheap (something you'd expect from a budget hotel) -Good walking distance to the beach -Hotel is in great condition

• Reviewed: 17 September 2016

Overall happy
    • Budget Double Room

No towels in room. Had to buy them. Would have liked a kettle for a coffee in the morning. As we were travelling so far back home. We would have liked a drink before heading off instead of going to a local weatherspoons

The value for money and the location. Brilliat. I'll certainly be staying again

Fantastic
    • Budget Double Room

Fantastic location, plenty see and to do in the area. Take notice of the Hotels directions rather than a sat nav as they suggested... we didn't and ended up driving round twice. Really did enjoy our stay here and highly recommend as a budget hotel. Lovely helpful staff too.

• Reviewed: 13 September 2016

Awful
    • Budget Twin Room

The bedroom was awful. Smelt horrible. Beds uncomfortable and need replacing. No air in the room due to the window only opening 2 inches max because a drain pipe blocking open access. No parking which was a nightmare and had to complain to staff in the end as couldn't park anywhere after a very long drive there. Poor all around

Close to beach and in town

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

Fab short surf stay!
    • Budget Twin Room

The doors in the corridor banged a lot during the night :(

Friendly staff, let us leave our bags in a secure room after we had checked out whilst we went to surf, basic but everything you need for a few nights!

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

Loved our trip not the accomadation
    • Budget Twin Room

were offered bunk beds and was forced to upgrade to sea view room at extra cost the room we booked was not available our room was on the top floor with no lift, the bathroom was so small you could hardly use the loo,the oversized loo rolls restricted the loo, the shower was so hot and unmanageable it was dangerous , the room was not clean we were showered in dust when we retrieved our hold-all from the top of the wardrobe and our cloths were covered in dust from thedrawers. We were unable to close curtains as they had come off the runners and light not working.

The view Reserved parking

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Overall enjoyed the stay but for a disabled person not suitable.
    • Budget Twin Room

Paid for a double room ended up with a twin with two single beds together.wife disabled no lift had to climb 3 flights of stairs not impressed as not advertised,this property is not suitable for disabled

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

It was a really nice stay, apart from a few points.
    • Budget Twin Room

The wifi was dodgy, I had issues with getting it on my phone constantly and it wasn't reliable, there is no drinking water in the rooms and we had to buy bottles to fill up in the lobby. To get your room cleaned was £7 a day, which to me seemed a little rash

The location was really good with a lovely beer bar next door, a few minutes from the beach and the town centre. Ice cold refreshing water in the lobby. The staff where mostly nice apart from a few instances of what I assume was just tiredness of repeatedly asking for our cards when we just went out for a smoke

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Like a young offenders institution
    • Budget Twin Room

Paying £1 for a towel Had a shower at 5:30 in the morning when there is no demand And it was freezing cold Had nowhere to sit Had to climb bunk beds to see TV

Leaving

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Great location for no frills break
    • Budget Double Room

Although we knew the type of place we were booking, because we upgraded to the best room I would have expected it to be a little bit more luxurious.

Location is amazing and overall atmosphere was good. Very friendly staff and customers.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

ideal location
    • Budget Triple Room

Next visit I'd probably pay extra for a view just to get a bit more light in the room. And a bigger mug - the mugs were teeny-tiny! That's the only fault I can find.

Loved this place. Ideal Base. Everything you need for a few days away. Bed. Kettle. Bathroom. Happy 😊

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

Really bad wi-fi, great staff
    • Budget Twin Room

It was impossible to sit straight on the lower bunk bed because it was just too low! As there were no chairs in the room, this meant that the only place to sit was on the upper bed. A small reading light for the lower bed would also have been appreciated. The wi-fi was, frankly, horrible. On several days, we couldn't access the internet at all.

Staff extremely helpful and friendly. The location is superb, right next to the beach and the city centre, but not noisy at all.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

Dirty
    • Budget Double Room

Dirtiness the fact I never had no options given to me when my mother had a heart attack and had to return home early to care for her, no consideration

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Fantastic weekend
    • Double Room with Sea View

Room was very hot could do with a fan in the summer months

Lovely friendly staff in a great location within walking distance of everywhere we wanted. Would definetly stay here again

comfy beds
    • Budget Triple Room

the shower water was cold in the last day

comfy beds

Nice and clean but extra fees added for parking
    • Budget Double Room

Had to pay 5pound for free parking and could not get wifi in the room (had to go downstairs for it)

Nice and clean - staff were lovely

good

the room

the beach

economy stay

for the price nothing

brilliant location, nice simple hotel

Fab stay

Amazing staff!

Amazing staff!

Friendly staff
    • Budget Triple Room

Squeaky beds, old bunk beds, very poor sounds insulation

Friendly staff

Is what it is cheap hotel great for a stag doo staff great .
    • Budget Quadruple Room

Is what it is cheap hotel great for a stag doo staff great .

Not hot water ;
    • Double Room with Sea View

Not hot water ; bad parking no coffee tea in rooms

A really nice place to stay,special mention for receptionist Becky,a real star....

Location............central...but quite...

Cheap hotel, good value for the price
    • Budget Quadruple Room

Cheap hotel, good value for the price Great location and view from hotel.

Wonderful helpful staff :) comfy mattress and soft sheets

Wonderful helpful staff :) comfy mattress and soft sheets

Friendly staff.
    • Budget Twin Room

The room was a bit small for two people even considering it was a bunk bed room.

Friendly staff. Excellent location.

great fun, didnt want to come home so soon
    • Double Room with Sea View

lovely staff and room, comfy bed, fantastic area with lots to do and lots of food to eat!

Extra cost for things
    • Double Room with Sea View

For the price with paid you would think we would get tea and coffee free and towels too

Downstairs was undated but room needs update

Lovely staff! Incredible views!
    • Double Room with Sea View

The staff were lovely! Very helpful

pleasent

all ok

amie was exceptional really helpfull

Basic but clean
    • Budget Double Room

Would have liked tea/coffee facilities in room

Close to all amenities, shower was heaven!

Great value and location
    • Double Room with Sea View

No towels, but then found out we had to rent from the reception.

Great view from our room. Short walk to the beach.

Adequate.
    • Triple Room with Sea View

Bathroom was grubby and poorly maintained with no decent shower.

The view.

Very enjoyable, staff are amazing

Seagulls

Location, how friendly and helpful staff are the hotel is spotless

Awful
    • Budget Double Room

Not very clean,rooms overall need updating,carpets bad,smells and didn't appreciate finding a flea on me when I woke up.

Coming home!

The location.
    • Double Room with Sea View

Price, cleanliness and terms and conditions especially regarding cancellations.

The location.

Nice scene from room n easy acess to beach n town, clubs

Nice scene from room n easy acess to beach n town, clubs

Not for non-surfing types
    • Double Room with Sea View

Noisy guests all through the night, standard of room & facilities.

The staff were lovely
    • Budget Triple Room

Beds could have been more comfortable!

The staff were lovely