Reviews of Swan Revived Hotel 3 stars

High Street, Newport Pagnell, Milton Keynes, MK16 8AR, United Kingdom

#11 of 16 B&Bs and Inns in Milton Keynes

The old world charm of the hotel. A comfortable, family hotel. Even the various levels from one room to another and the uneven floors gave it a certain charm of times gone by. It had great character.

• Basic Double Room

This time the room I was allocated was overlooking the outdoor seating area to the rear of the building so there was quite a lot of noise until around the bar closing time. However, as the hotel is an inn this is to be expected. Otherwise, my stay was as pleasant as it usually is.

I often stay at this hotel as it is very convenient to where I sometimes work. As usual the staff were friendly, the food very good and the room clean and comfortable.

Not having a basin in the bathroom...it was in the bedroom...was just a double bed and would have preferred a king size lol

We had a very pleasant stay...staff were great and friendly, room was cosy and clean, breakfast was well cooked but self service...we would recommend x

Extremely helpful staff. Good Food. Excellent value for money. There was a music event on that evening. When I booked the room the hotel went out of their way to let us know it may be noisey and to use a local car par. We were also reminded on arrival. Excellent customer service. As it turned out we went to the music event and had a great time. Thank you Rowena Halifax

We booked he hotel in Feb. and got an e mail late April telling us that we had to remove our car from the car park by 8. 30 am as a marquee was being erected !!! Which was not great as we had a 500 mile drive . We also had a problem with the bill as when we booked it the price was £75.00 but we were charged £95.00 which we had to pay !!!

the location was great for us, also pleasant staff.

Breakfast was not quite as good as previous. Perhaps the staff were a little overworked but the bacon and eggs were undercooked. Having said that they were acceptable

Extra comfy bed - I love the pub attached and the bar facilities - great for a gin lover like me!

Elements inside the kettle all rusted and unsafe to use. Shower head was not fitting on stand to be able to shower. Over all very old and in need of refurbishment. Very nosiy outside so couldn’t open windows for fresh air. The free parking offered on website was not avaikable as it was all taken and had to park in conected car park. It’s free after 5pm but if you have to stay during the day only 2 hours allowed.

• Basic Double Room

When we arrived we were told that the double room booked albeit basic, was not suitable for two people. Really? We had to change and pay extra. In general we found staff not very friendly. A smile and welcome would have been good Food was delivered on cold plates

no comments

lack of a late bar, we have stayed many times at the swan and have always enjoyed a drink or a coffee when returning to the hotel, however on this visit the night porter refused to provide drinks of any description without any reason.

The night porter refused to serve drinks to our party on returning to the hotel. I can accept this but the childish disagreement about whether a chap had stayed here before (which he had) was totally irrelevant and left a rather sour taste.

Good location, decent breakfast, friendly staff except for the night porter.

The name and the photos oversell the hotel. Is a coat of paint and some redecorating of the restaurant really all it takes to "revive" a hotel? The decoration is generally stuffy, attention to detail is 0, our room had a nasty smell. The "Brasserie" sells the same pub grub as the adjacent pub. The evening of our stay, tables had been put together to form a long table right at the entrance, the remaining tables were scattered in the room with the charm of an office canteen or a station waiting room, and were (small wonder) mainly empty. Although the guests on the long table had already eaten, we were informed that food would be long in coming. When pressed the waitress told us "at least 20 minutes", which we took for a polite version of 3/4 of an hour and left. On check-in we were asked whether we planned to eat in the hotel and put the food on the bill. In this case, a pre-authorisation would be put on our card for the night stay. We did not particularly appreciate this way of showing a lack of trust in one's guests. It does not inspire trust in the hotel. And relatively early in the morning a face appeared at the window of our room cleaning it and having a perfect view inside and on its naked occupants just leaving the shower. Needless to say that we had not been forewarned.

Astonishingly considering the worn and shabby furniture and decoration, the bed was actually really comfortable. The tiny shower was also working perfectly well. So, we got what we needed: A good night's sleep followed by a good shower.

There were no problems really.

The room was comfortable and the breakfast was lovely. The location was convenient; it was easy to get to by bus. The hotel had an old-world feel which was nice.

Nothing comes to mind.

A character hotel in a convenient location for our stay. Room was nice size, comfy bed and quiet even though room on main road. Good choice breakfast, had poached smoked haddock and eggs which were lovely. Will definitely use again.

fantastic 3 night stay staff very friendly and warm facilities very satisfying very clean and food was fantastic the full English breakfast was devine

Pokey room with sink in it and a dilapidated 'en-suite', both of which appear to have been decorated in the 1970's. Coffee was 'brown water' Perhaps I had their worst room if your rating is 8.1?

Staff are nice, location OK if you can squeeze into the Car Park. Only had porridge for breakfast which was OK - Evening meal was fine.

Friendly and helpful staff, went out of their way to provide good service, very flexible eg over providing food a little differently. Comfortable, clean room, good value and good breakfast

Breakfast was excellent and cooked to order. Plenty of choice for non cooked as well. Room was comfortable and clean. We used the restaurant for our evening meal which was very good and also enjoyed drinks in the bar. Service was great - everyone was very welcoming.

Car is on a parking place from the hotel but unguided

Not far away from good restaurants. Good mattress on the bed. WIFI A nice cosy hotel with a long history. Breakfast with eggs, sausages etc was perfect.

Inadequate onsite parking facilities. Had to park in longstay car park away from hotel. Rooms comfortbale enough but very dated. Hotel could do with a 'face lift.'

Town centre location.

Scrambled eggs (Not fresh and Dry) - Improvement Rib Beef Main course (Extremely Dry) - Improvement Lift stops at the 2nd floor was inconvenient especially due to carrying a lot of luggage

The haddock was amazing !!!! - Positive Staff was lovely and polite

The window in room 102 is loose. You get a draft through which was not a problem as I could shut curtains. However it was a very windy night and the window rattled all night. I tried filling gaps with paper but it made no difference. It was 4am before I got to sleep and was awoken at 5 when the wind got up again.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Great breakfast. The room was clean and had everything needed.

The ensuite as disappointing and the were some cobwebs in the room.

The bed was lovely and comfortable. Heater was efficient. The breakfast was tasty and filling. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Small double and not long enough my legs were hanging out the end, I'm 6 foot 2. This is not normally an issue in hotels. Very stained toilet and smelly drains.

Friendly barman and good atmosphere.

The only problem I sometimes have is finding a parking space in the hotels quite small carpark. However there is a council carpark behind the hotel which usually has spaces and during the times that I am likely to use it, is free of charge.

As a regular visitor to this hotel, as always I found the staff pleasant and attentive, the room warm and comfortable and the food both at dinner and in the morning at breakfast was as usual, to a high standard.

Understandable that there are limitations in a older property but there are some modern expectations from travelers. Aluminium window frames rattled constantly and need replacing for both noise and draft exclusion, plus whilst a comfortable bed in the single room, the decor ideas in serious need of updating in both colour scheme and artwork. Some simple touches that whilst modern would not affect the historic feel of the venue. Lastly, was there during a fire drill, the organisation/evacuation procedures of which were questionable.

Location is naturally excellent for Newport Pagnell and hills a dominant position in the high street. Breakfast was very good in a nice dining Room and the reception area and lounge very comfortable and charming. A historic venue with some nice period touches.

There was nothing in particular that I did not like apart from the small matter of the coffee mug but that did not detract from my stay. Had there not been another mug that I could use, I am sure that the staff would have brought along another mug had I requested them to do so.

As a regular guest at this hotel, all was as I found previously, the staff are friendly and helpful, the food at both dinner and breakfast is very good and reasonably priced. The room as always was comfortable and clean apart from one coffee mug that was not completely clean but I am sure that this was probably not noticed when it came out of the dishwasher! There was a second cup that was perfectly clean that I could use.

The room could have been cleaner, hairs found in the bathroom. When I first entered the room the window was closed and the room was full of air freshener. At breakfast I chose from the list of items for the breakfast but got served a full plate of everything.

The bed was comfy, the staff friendly and helpful.

Prior to Christmas there were pre-booked parties in the restaurant on each occasion that I stayed meaning that I had to eat in the bar or lounge area. However, I have stayed since Christmas and the hotel is much quieter. Although the food is always good and value for money, the menu is a little limited. Parking can be a little difficult when the hotel is full but I have always found somewhere to park nearby.

I have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions in recent months and have found it confortable, warm with friendly staff with good food. The breakfast is always plentiful and well cooked. There are options to eat in a pub like bar area or in the restaurant.

The car park is not easy to find, had to stop outside the hotel to ask.. parking is very limited and tight if you have a big car. There were a few high level cobwebs in the room. The hotel is a bit of a maze too!

The bed was the most comfortable bed ever I didn’t want to get up! Breakfast was lovely and plentiful. Location was great for what we needed and the staff were friendly and helpful.

As it was close to Christmas, there was a private function in the restaurant which meant that food was only available for other guests in the main bar area. As all of my stays have been in the run up to Christmas and each time I have stayed there has been a private function in the main restaurant , I have yet to have a meal in the restaurant! I will stay again in the New Year when I hope the hotel will be less busy.

I have stayed at this hotel several times whilst in the area on business. As usual, the hotel lived up to my expectations in that I was comfortable, the staff friendly and the food very good for the price.

Room 304 is on the 3rd floor up a steep narrow staricase. The shower produced only a dribble of water, then wouldn't switch off. When I pay £100 for a room for the night I expect to be able to take a shower, it's not too much to ask. Service at breakfast was slow, staff appeared stressed.

Location is excellent for the town centre and is close to the home of the family we visit. Bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was very good.

Advised free on site parking but very small car park and the council one by it was also full, so had to park quite a way away from the hotel.

Lovely soft bed and quiet room.

Parking was limited and on this occasion, I had to park in the public carpark adjacent to the hotels carpark and only just managed to find a space. The hotel is particularly busy this time of year in the run up to Christmas and again the restaurant was fully booked and the bar area very busy. However, I was able to get a meal which was served in the lounge area.

I find this hotel comfortable and the staff are friendly and courteous. The room I had this time had a nicely refurbished shower room and the room contained all that I needed for my one night stay.

There was a large party booked into the restaurant on the night of my stay which meant that there was a delay in my being able to have an evening meal. However, when the time came, my meal was tasty and good value.

A pleasant hotel that met all of my requirements. The bed was comfortable and the staff were friendly.

Smell of old air. A very narrow staircase

The hotel is in the middle of the town. Typical English. lot's of good restaurants near by. Tea and coffe available on the room. Good bath room and flat screen tv.

Room was rather small, however, for a one night stop it was ok really!

Staff were very friendly and welcoming, and the breakfast was also very good! We also had a bar meal which was really good too!

We were attending a friends birthday party. The hotel is situated in the centre of town and ideal for our purposes. Guests in the pub and restaurant appeared to be having a nice time so the atmosphere was good.

Biscuits and bags. I always feel welcomed when you enter your room after a long journey and there are a couple of biscuits to munch on:) (Probably the sugar.) A cup of tea for breakfast. The last thing you want is a watery pot of tea where you have to squash the bag to get some resemblance of brown. Full marks. 3 bags!!

The room could use some updating to make it look more modern, e.g new carpet and furniture.

Location was great and happy that parking was free. Breakfast was really good. Friendly staff.

When I checked in receptionist I was asked for card for authorisation . I was asked if I wanted to add anything incase I wanted to charge anything to my room . I said NO I won't be doing that . When card was returned to me receptionist said " I've added £40 incase you want to charge anything ." This didn't really sink in as I'm not used to travelling alone and was bit preoccupied !! When I thought about it I was furious . Also the amount was actually removed from my available balance in my bank account which I've never experienced before . Today is Monday and so far I have not received the difference between the amount taken and the cost of my actual stay which was £40 !! I WOULD NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL AGAIN.

The food was delicious and my bedroom was comfortable . The bed and pillows were excellent .

• Basic Double Room

Just a small thing, but I stayed in room 107, and in the bathroom the "cold" tap gave very hot water, and the "hot" tap luke warm. But it certainly won't stop me coming back.

Excellent breakfast, served by very friendly staff.

Buffet breakfast at weekend not as good as breakfast during week (eg no smoked haddock!)

Friendly staff and genuinely nice not to be in another chain hotel. Hotel well positioned in town centre so options for evening meals, minor shopping etc

Sunday breakfast buffet was slow service as it was very busy & it appeared there was only 2 staff working. Food was good tho.

My room was lovely & refurbished including a lovely big bathroom & full size bath. My friends room was not so nice.

Parking was a nightmare. Access to the building was terrible, doorways are skinny and are self. Hallways were like a maze, very skinny and many steps up down and fire doors that were impossible to get large roller bags through. They have an elevator, but you still have a lot of steps to go up and down. We thought that it was the worst Hotel/B&B that we stayed in during our 2 weeks in England. We will never stay at this property again. Prepaid for breakfast. Breakfast was served from 8AM. We had to leave at 7:30 AM to make a flight. Rooms had a strong smell of a cleaning agent.

Hotel was in the center of town.

Parking wasn't very clearly signposted. Only after asking did I realise it was at the back of the hotel.

The Hotel Building. It was lovely. View outside bedroom window was also very nice.

• Basic Double Room

I found the staff both informative and friendly. A great step up from the "it's a room isn't it?" type, and very competitive on price.

The hotel is a little quirky. The room numbering is accurate. Due to two (or more?) buildings being joined together at the first and ground floor only, all rooms on the 2nd floor are not accessible by the lift.

The room was hot, even when the weather turned cooler and the room size may not suit everyone who may use the room more, but I was literally only sleeping there, so I was happy.

I slept like a baby both nights, which says a lot as I'm practically an insomniac. The two young women on reception over two nights were very friendly and efficient. Lovely little adjoining pub.

• Basic Double Room

Did not tell us requested room size /bed type was not available and never had been. Shabby, dirty carpetSmallest bathroom imagineable with sink in room. No proper change for bill at front desk.

Didn't have visible rodents or bugs Working elevator

The rooms could be better laid out, in particular the ensuites.

The helpful staff and location. Also the public areas of the hotel and the public house attached. The quirkiness and age of the hotel.

Stairs were a bit tricky to Navigate with baggage and lift doesn't go all the way.Taller than average people need to watch their steps-not much headspace on some parts of the stairwell.

Staff was very accomodating;although I arrived very late-the gentleman I spoke to was very welcoming and reassuring.

Room allocated was in an annexe across the path from the main hotel. The room was small, but clean and functional. However there is a problem with ventilation. It was a very warm night and we wanted to open the window, but as it is a sash window and only the bottom half opens it became a problem as it right next to the footpath and right of way for pedestrians. This then leads to a noise and security issue and not wanting anyone climbing in the window at night, we had to leave it shut. I mentioned it to the receptionist on checking out who was sympathetic and stated she would inform management. The room also smelled strongly of paraffin, which we could not locate the source of.

Location and staff were very good

• Basic Double Room

Many of the bedrooms surround the pub courtyard where customers sitting outside can be clearly heard word for word inside the room at a volume equal to being outside with them, this spoils the quite enjoyment of the room being hired and prevents sleep until after 11.30 pm. I did request a room change at 10pm and this was arranged without fuss, the new room was not directly above the courtyard but the sound travelled so was only marginally better. For travelers who have to get up early or need an early night I would avoid booking this hotel, this is a shame as all other aspects of the hotel are good. I've rated value for money and comfort as low due to the disturbance.

Friendly staff, good pub food for evening meal, nice selection of beers, very good breakfast.

• Basic Double Room

SLIGHTLY DIFFICULT TO GET TO THE ROOM, BUT ITS AN OLD BUILDING SO UNDERSTANDABLE

BREAKFAST AND ALL STAFF AMAZING, WELL DONE TO ALL, I HAVE RECOMMENDED THIS HOTEL 4 TIMES TODAY

Although the week I was there it wasn't needed, I would be hesitant to stay if it's very hot out. There is air conditioning in the main dining room, but I don't know if there is any in the guest rooms. I opened the window if the room was stuffy and that was all I needed during my stay.

The staff were fantastic - very nice and accommodating. The hotel is a historian's dream, since it dates from the 16th century, if not earlier. However, if you want ultra modern, sleek amenities, as opposed to character, you won't find them here. My bathroom was a bit dated, but very clean and I never ran out of hot water. The restaurant and pub have generally the same menu, and it is one of the best places in town to eat, though there isn't too much competition in the village. I especially enjoyed their dinner pies. The village and the people I met there are also very friendly and helpful. I loved it, even the creaky floors.

• Basic Double Room

My room was over the garden so people were using bar area and noises, but it was a Saturday night and was quiet by 12.30. Not that unreasonable!

The staff went above and beyond the call of duty. They were friendly, welcoming and helpful. A staff member helped me carry belongings from car, holding dog too. They awarded me a drink on the house because there was a problem with "gas". They chatted to me in friendly way, and receptionist looked after my dog while I got my breakfast. The room was quite small but everything was clean, with ensuite, and the bed very comfy! It was adequate for me and my four legged friend. And was near to a park with a river walk!! Was fabulous, definitely would recommend.

• Basic Double Room

The buffet breakfast was poor-it was cold and not really edible. Restaurant menu was not varied enough. There was a lot of dust on top of the wardrobe, which clearly had not been cleaned for some time.

The breakfast was good when it was freshly cooked. The bed was comfortable. The staff were helpful.

Nothing I did not like!

Excellent location for visiting the nearby tourist sites. Very comfortable hotel with clean rooms, friendly helpful staff and good food.

Receptionist on arrival quite rude pointing out that we were too early to check in ( 15 minutes prior to check in time) Made very obvious we were not welcome 15 minutes prior to check in, & we were left leaning against the reception desk while she sent someone to check! Room allocated was directly over the smoking area and the night time entertainment. Noise from the busy pelican crossing close by was awful. Asked to be moved & was told nothing available so had to insist & eventually moved to room at the back. Both rooms had no wash hand basin in the toilet shower area, so had to go out into bedroom for hand washing!. However bed linen etc was very smart & clean. Carpets in reception & bar area were very dingy and rucked up so easy to trip on them. Whole place could do with an upgrade.

Breakfast was very good on first morning but was a rather rushed buffet on second morning. Quality of food was good and breakfast staff very good.

My husband and myself stayed here for 2 nights last weekend. Very disappointed! Room was not a superior room as was paid for, or if it was it should not have been rated superior. Furniture was covered in dust. No member of staff asked when checking out if everything was alright with our stay, just took the payment. Breakfast was nice and hot as was served to you freshly cooked on Saturday morning; it was in self serve heaters on Sunday morning, cold food and cold plates, awful At one point we even ran out of toilet roll as when room was serviced they did not replace...just dreadful. The lovely and friendly staff who ran the bar should be praised, so friendly and polite. Very costly for a poor hotel, yet the reviews we had read said it was great value for money, we strongly disagree.

Décor seems rather dated.

Room was very comfortable, breakfast was very nice and the service was excellent. The onsite pub was also a great place to enjoy a couple of drinks with colleagues after work.

Room was tiny and toilet plus shower We're far too small View at back of building awful overlooking the car park and bins Room service very poor

Location is good in the town

Staff leaving a dirty cleaning cloth on a chair after cleaning, during breakfast.. Just seems to be lacking a bit of attention. Room was very, very hot. Outside about 30 degrees, but was not abe to really cool down the room.

Breakfast so-so.. Had expected some buffet but some rolls and cereals on the table. Rest was on order only. I always prefer to just pick whatever I want, in smaller portions, instead of just ordering full plates.

The car park was full,wich only had spaces for a dozen vehicles..but there was a short stay car park across the road wich we managed to get in.

The receptionist was very friendly,the room was very nice,the bar staff was very sociable and helpful,the overall place was lovely

The elevator only goes up to the 2nd floor. Rooms on the 3rd floor are only accessible using extra stairs.

I didn't use the catering so can't give an answer

The en-suite bathroom was small and pretty basic but the shower etc worked okay. The Sink was in the bedroom.

The double bed was very comfortable. Tea and coffee making facilities and freeview tv. Good breakfast.

Quirky room layout -- had an ensuite shower and WC, but handbasin in bedroom. There was a music event in the car park until 23:00 (infrequent event). There was a note on the booking confirmation, but no information before booking. As it happened, the event was well managed, closed on time and would not have been a problem, except I had just driven 400 miles.

Location -- we needed to be in Newport Pagnell and this was a good price. Good bed and ample courtesy tray. Very hot night, but fan provided in room. Good buffet breakfast.

The room itself was quite compact, but, as I said, fine for a one night stay.

Super location right in the centre of the lovely Newport Pagnell. I wish I had more time to wander around and enjoy the place. The hotel itself is full of character in and perfect for a one night stay.

The dining room although stylish, was very noisy when full. Curtains/other soft furnishing may help to deaden the noise.

Pillows great and bed comfortable. All staff very helpful and friendly. Good beer!

See above

Comfortable room, good breakfast, parking not always possible in the hotel car park, the car park at the back not the hotels' allows free parking for two hours after 9.00 am so is OK as long as you book out before then. Should you be staying longer it is possible to get into the hotel car park after that as some people will have left. I can't remember the number of the room we had but it had two steps down from the bathroom to the main bedroom that are not lit at night and could be a hazard for some one using the bath room at night.

Sat nav takes you to the front of the hotel whereupon you cannot gain access to the car park at the rear. Car park is very tight for gaining access to spaces. Rooms are super warm but a desk fan is provided.

Everything was as you'd expect. Breakfast was lovely. Nice little town. Recommend the dolphin pub down the road for a spot of lunch. Doesn't look much from the front but lovely little pub. Nice beer garden staff super friendly. Food was lovely and super fast service.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Single room was small, but ok for 1 night.

Very good staff, brilliant breakfast, probably the best breakfast I have had at an hotel. Good food in the bar and reasonably priced.

Staff need a bit more training no" welcome" when we arrived and no"how was your stay" or" goodbye "when we left, but saying that they were not off with us. Car park was closed had to park elsewhere in the town due to music festival in the hotel car park which was really loud but was something we should have been told about when we booked

Clean, good location for what we needed and worth the price.

Our bedroom was on the top floor. The room was quite disappointing as the only window it had was right in the corner and very narrow so there was only a limited amount of light coming in. The sloping roof was also quite low.

The bed was really comfortable, and the shower very good. The breakfast was excellent.

Stairs are very dangerous as they slop to one side and people where banging their heads. Windows where very hard to open. We paid £88 to stay there when other family member paid £ 66 and they got breakfast but we got told extra 10.50 each for our breakfast. When we explained to staff she was adamant that we had to pay more, in the end we one.

Bright and comfortable no problem with parking.

Travelling from the heart of Soho at 7.30pm we couldn't be sure of arrival time but needed to eat, no problem they said, call us if you arriving after 9.20pm and we will cook your food and keep it hot for you. As we booked in the table was laid and the food arrived, which was excellent as was the cooked breakfast. Newport Pagnell - we thought ti was just a service station on the M1 but it is a beautiful village, well worth a visit.l