Reviews of Tanes Hotel 3 stars

148 Newport Road, Cardiff, CF24 1DJ, United Kingdom

#18 of 32 B&Bs and Inns in Cardiff

The second car park could of with a better sign.

We just stayed here for one night for a business trip. I usually stay at chain hotels in the city centre but an event meant they were full. The hotel is much nicer and smarter inside than it looks from the outside and the staff were lovely and friendly.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Shared bathrooms, very creaky foorboards, no double windows on a very busy road frontage, the place needs dragging into 21st century

Staff fine, cleanliness fine, breakfast ok

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Nice quirky place. We had shared bathroom and toilet which was like your bathroom at home and lovely and clean. Sink in bedroom with tea and coffee facilities. Friendly staff.

Everything, clean, safe, comfortable.. Staff were so courteous. Breakfast was delicious. Honestly couldn't fault it! If I'm back visiting Cardiff I will definitely book Tanes again ☺️👌

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The manager seemed a little confrontational about the fact the payment didn’t go through in advance, when I had selected a room I could pay for at the property to account for pay day.

Not a bad price for what you got. A short walk to town and room was reasonable.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Thin walls, snoring man next door kept us up for hours at night. A shame that they didn’t serve breakfast until 8am on the weekend as I had to leave before that time.

Nothing not to like!!

Amazingly caring courteous and welcpming hotel. Beautifully furnished, modern but with a quaint design. The rooms were beyond spotless and smelled fresh. The beds were comfierthan our own at home I didn't want to leave. The lady who host the hotels manners of an angel, gentle and kind. The lovely furry friend we got to meet on leaving. Very peaceful rooms considering it is situated on a main road. The whole place was faultless and the price was excellent for a family of three. Child friendly people. Thankyou so much for making our stay perfect and stress free. We would usually pick a premier inn for ease of booking and safety. But this will be recommended to all. Also we got a little lost on our way and arrived a little early. The staff did all they could to get us there safely, parked up and in our room earlier than should be really. Not a complaint at all..

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

This hotel offers absolutely excellent value. The staff are very amenable - the lady serving breakfast was exceptionally pleasant, extremely helpful, even loaning me the bus fare into Cardiff. Very clean indeed, comfortable, the only small disadvantage that I could see was that there was not much natural light in my particular room. I would thoroughly recommend this property at the rate I paid - around £28 per night, £5 for (an excellent) breakfast. Outstanding.

• Double or Twin Room

The bathroom was a bit unstuck - toilet seat wouldn't stay up, plug didn't fit, shower wayward. One day beds not made up. Surrounding area a little unsalubrious and quite noisy in the evening.

The staff were excellent -polite and helpful

The Wi-fi was free but not very consistent. Would have been nice to have had a hairdryer in the room. Otherwise no real complaints. A good value place to stay in Cardiff!

Highly recommend this place. I was warmly greeted on arrival and allowed to put my bags in the room despite being earlier than the 2pm check-in time. The room was very comfortable, freshly decorated, well equipped and spotlessly clean. Heating could be regulated. Window could be opened. Really good shower and free toiletries. Breakfast for £5 extra was varied and plentiful. There's free parking and a bus stop right outside for getting to the city centre. (I was happy to walk and it took about 15 minutes to get to Queens St. shops and 20 minutes to the castle ). A quirky little place but I would definitely stay again.

Nothing not to like.

I have stayed at The Tanes Hotel several times in the past and it has always met my expectations. The staff are so obliging and will do everything they can to help you. The breakfast is exceptional and well worth paying a little bit extra for. The hotel is on the man bus route in to the city centre and costs £1.90 for a single fare. This stops at the end of Queen Street which takes you through town to the Castle area. It is a family run hotel and offers an excellent service and I will definitely stay there on my next visit to Cardiff.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The sink basin in the room l stay, mechanisms was not functioning, so l was cautious not to flood the room.

Facilities were good enough, nice staff and quite place l find.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

It has free, secure parking, which is important to me when staying in a city. The rooms are spotless, plenty of tea and coffee, and the shared bathrooms are also spotless. Breakfast is great, and excellent value. I feel safe staying there by myself.

Parking can be a challenge.

Location ideal for anybody visiting the globe just 10 minute walk away.No issues with the accomodation clean and perfectly adequate for you needs breakfast good value well recommended.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I needed to leave in a small time constraint and they made my breakfast straight off so I was not delayed. It was very kind and helpful. All around a great budget hotel that felt nicer. Kind and helpful staff and very clean facilities....even with a shared bath!

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The curtains in the room, though thick enough, modern and pleasant, didn't meet each other properly. To avoid being woken in the morning by light I ended up using a hair clip to clip them together. There was no ensuite in the twin bedroom which was unexpected. The toilet and separate bathroom (with toilet) was clean but shared by other rooms. The shower head in the bathroom was difficult to use standing up as it didn't seem to be able to be directed downwards. I hadn't picked up from the advert on Booking.com that breakfast wasn't included and had to be paid for as an extra but that probably my fault. It would have been helpful to know that there was no hairdryer in the room. I don't mind bringing my own but I need to know from the hotel info that there is none.

Ability to arrive between 10-11pm was helpful after a long journey. Building was beautifully presented on the outside and welcoming and clean on the inside. The room was decorated nicely and in a modern manner. The windows were modern, clean and double glazed which prevented noise from the outside. There was a clean and modern sink in the bedroom. Wide variety of breakfast options available and though we only had bacon as a cooked option, the bacon was beautifully cooked and tasty. Breakfast maker and order taker was kind, very polite and helpful. Arriving and leaving was easy and efficient.

I thought the rooms were adequate although overpriced for what they were. There were no top sheets so we had to use the somewhat grimy bedspreads as a covering. Rooms were not well lit. Internet was erratic. We didn't mind going down a flight of stairs for the bathroom but prices should probably reflect that bathrooms are shared. Although the website says there is a public place to sit, the living room area was marked private and I believe was kept locked. Tanes is right on a bus line that came regularly but had we known Cardiff better we would have preferred a location closer to the Castle area. Traffic made the rooms noisy but not unbearable. Keys were very tricky to manipulate. Rooms were not ready when we arrived about 12:30 or so.

We primarily interacted with one staff member, a very friendly woman who welcomed us when we arrived and made breakfast for us on Sunday morning. She also helpfully told us where the nearest Catholic Church was. The gentleman who was there when we returned to pick up our luggage was not friendly at all, nor did he even offer to help my 80 year old mother with her bag. Bathrooms were clean and beds were comfortable.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Next time i would stay in a room with a bathroom rather than a shared one.

The lady who greeted us at reception was very friendly and the property was spotless. The China in breakfast room was lovely old fashion cup and saucers which you dont get very often in hotels anymore. I was very impressed.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Wifi was very poor, room was small and bathroom was down the hall.

Bus was right out the front door, although city centre was a 20 minute walk away (very doable)

Great location!! Staff very friendly, Daniella who made our breakfast was a delight so attentive and nothing was too much trouble!! Nice touch of the slippers and chocolates

• Double or Twin Room

It was a really nice place. We booked last minute, and we arrived to a lovely greeting. Really clean room and comfortable. Would be happy to stay again.

Heating seemed to be on all night so got a little bit too warm at times.

Great location close to the city centre. Bed was really comfy so got an excellent nights sleep and woke to a tasty cooked breakfast in the morning.

The kettle lead didn't reach the nearby plug socket from the table very easily - bit awkward but managed.

The decor of the room was modern and pleasing.

The staff were welcoming and helpful. The room was very clean and a good size. It was very comfy and had everything you needed. The room even had blackout curtains which i think is going that extra mile for guests. Only 20 minuite walk on a straight road to cardiff centre which was ideal. Thank you.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

This time I had a room at the front of the hotel - traffic noise could be heard so maybe the double-glazing needs to be triple!

Very friendly and accommodating hotel

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The hot water in the shower wasn't working properly and the heating in the room didn't seem to do much.

It was OK, cheap and cheerful and good location with parking.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The walls are a little thin so bring ear plugs.

The cleanliness and decoration was excellent. There is a car park at the rear of the property or local on-street parking. The cooked breakfast was good.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I rated everything as excellent on this trip.

The Manager of the hotel is people-oriented person. Overall, it is an excellent service from the room to the toilet and a top quality breakfast served by a breakfast lady with an excellent entiquette. Will stay there again on my next trip to Cardiff.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Horrendously accommodating - Seriously cannot recommend this Hotel enough! Do not be put off by the shared bathroom - Impeccably presented. Extremely clean and well appointed throughout - Bed was super comfortable, background heating spot on and the breakfast hits full marks! Family run business and this clearly shows with a keen eye to detail... Massive thanks to Tim and all the staff!

Lighting a little dim for reading..a minor inconvenience!

Spacious and very clean room. Modern bathroom. Friendly owner and staff. Beds made up and towels changed even though we only stayed 2 nights. Very good cooked breakfast for £5.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

It was a little way to the shared bathroom from our room but not a problem.

Breakfast was amazing value and staff were lovely too. Mishap with the booking but was probably my fault and they accommodated my husband who they weren’t expecting. Lovely clean rooms.

The room was road facing - it had no air conditioning/ventilation other than the road facing window. You were therefore either stifling hot and had no air circulation, or couldn't sleep due to main road traffic noise throughout the night.

Proximity to town centre - walking distance. Friendly staff.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Parking behind the hotel is a bit narrow to get in/out and maneuverer inside, however overall was ok. There is a second car park but we did not need this one. Room walls are not very well insulated as was woken by next room occupants in the middle of the night.

The Hotel is located on a busy road where we could not stop, hence had to stop in the next side road but this was ok and found the hotel entrance easily. The room size was ok and it was very clean. We had booked shared bathroom and toilet. This was fine as we had no problem to get in at the time we wanted and it was very clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful!

Quite a walking distance from city center, but not too far, tiny parking. Everything else was good.

Clean, stylish, has its very own British spirit, feels cosy and like home. Very warm inside, carpets on the floor, so you won't get cold. Comfy bed, calm and moderate colors, very pleasant. All in all you feel like you're guest at the welcoming cosy private house. Lovely dog Lola :)

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Very good value for money. Had a room with shared toilet / bathroom which I found clean and accessible. Double glazing worked very well blocking out any road noise. There is a bus stop right outside the hotel to the city centre, though not a long walk. Would recommend

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Bed was too short for my boyfriend, his feet were hanging off the end of the bed and there were people listening to reggae music and singing loud till 2am in the room next to us, so was difficult to get to sleep..

bathroom

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Shared toilet and bathroom not ideal, but was clean and well presented. Hotel was quiet on day of my visit, but might be different if busy, although there are these facilities on each floor, so shared by 4 rooms. But at the price, acceptable. Also had a very nice welcoming lounge decked out for Christmas, but wasn’t there long enough to make use of it.

Very conveniently placed, bus stop outside property with buses every 5 minutes, or only a 30minute walk to center. Breakfast served on bone China crockery, very nice, very welcoming, would definitely recommend and go back.

toilet in my room didn't flush very well

I arrived late after booking the same day because of forecast heavy snow but when I was let in at 11pm everyone was very polite and happy to see me so i felt welcome

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The traffic outside was quite noisy when in the room, even with the window closed but overall the stay was good.

Both of the staff we spoke to were very helpful and very friendly

The staff were very friendly and welcoming , the secure parking was ideal , as we didn’t have to worry about where to park the car , the weekend we visited was very cold but the hotel and our room was lovely and warm We also had the breakfast which was very good value for money , would definitely stay again.

It was a bit warm in the room.

Well maintained place, welcoming staff, lovely room, nice shower, good bed. Haven’t seen better value for money in Cardiff than this place!

The light did not work properly in the bathroom and the shower head kept falling down so I had to hold it u while showering which is very difficult to then wash with one hand. The room temperature was also very cold!

The staff were very friendly and the location was only a 20 minute walk to the city centre. It had off road parking which was hard to find but saved parking on the main road. The option of breakfast was also good.

• Double or Twin Room

Had a last minute deal staying 1 night when going to watch the rugby . Easy to find very clean , parking provided.. Was greeted by the owner and it was lovely warm on a very cold night ! 15 minute walk from city centre . We stayed in an ensuite with a single and double bed . Would def stay here again when visiting Cardiff

Absolutely amazing. I thought sharing a bathroom would be horrible but the shower room and toilets are beautifully decorated and very clean. I was more than happy and would stay here again. It is an easy 20 min walk from the city centre and cheap taxi on a night out. Great Great would recommend

Creaky stairs is all I can say as a light-hearted joke

Lovely stay, really nice cosy room! Don't be put off by the fact its a guest house and not a fancy posh 5 star gaff. Room was lovely and clean, bed extra comfortable, bathroom was spotless and modern. The staff were so lovely and friendly also, Mrs. Tanes especially! I'm 23, lazy and naive and I don't have a bad word to say. Lenient with me checking out an hour late aswell! Make sure to book a private bathroom though, as there are shared showers and toilets for some rooms and that isn't everyones cup of tea.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Car park had plenty of space but was a little tight to manouver, everything else was great.

Clean welcoming and warm with very helpful staff.stayed one night and would definitely stay again.

• Double or Twin Room

Cost was high, I know Wales were playing at home but £189 for the room was expensive. Lovely hotel but overpriced.

Helpful staff that couldn't do enough for us and it had private parking and a great location.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

That the room was not en suite but it wasn't really a problem as the very very clean toilet and shower rooms were close by.

For a single room, it was big with plenty of space. Fabulous to have welcoming slippers for your comfort and it was just so clean... another bonus was the packet of biscuits on the tea tray.

I didn't have any breakfast but I assumed it will be good overall. We received a warm and pleasant Welcome from the owner when we arrived. The place itself was very clean. The hotel was not far from Cardiff central 15 minutes walk and outside of the hotel there is a bus stop that can take you to Cardiff central or even Cardiff bay and Barry. We managed to do all our sightseeing by walking from the hotel .. It was also very quiet felt like we were the only people staying at the hotel.

• Double or Twin Room

Main thing that bugged me was no reply to my questions on booking.com. Also the double bed seemed a little short (I'm 6'1'') and so I was glad I didn't have to share it.

This is a decent hotel for business, I had a courtious welcome, a good nights sleep (my room was on the back), a nice shower & good breakfast, room for improvements, but seems reliable.

The welcome from Daniela was excellent as was her cooked breakfast (well worth the extra £5). The single room was a little small but at the price I wasn't expecting anything more. It was clean and cosy and, although it was on the front of the property, there was no noise from the main road.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Nothing everything was perfect.

Everything was great from start to finish the landlady was lovely, the room was spotless and lovely and warm, breakfast was cooked fresh with plenty of choice. Would definitely recommend and stay there again.

The room was small. Grand for me as I was on my own.

It was reasonably priced as I was there during a big sporting occassion and finding a room wasn't easy in Cardiff. Bathroom was clean with a good shower. Tea available in room.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

One plug socket working in the room. Adapter used to plug in the kettle and the TV. One socket visible behind the wardrobe, the other behind the headboard. Kettle lead very short. Boiled on the floor

Good breakfast served starting at 7am. TV had excellent signal reception and also had Freeview. Good Wi-Fi signal and free to use. Comfortable bed. Tea and Coffee facilities. A sink to wash and Shave.

• Double or Twin Room

Bathroom light had a bulb out.

Friendliness of the staff. Information and assistance provided. The comfiest bed in a b&b ever. Fine bone china on the breakfast table. Attention to the smallest details.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

There were no sink stoppers in my sink.I do not know about the other room in this regard,otherwise the accommodation was adequate for my situation and expectation

the rooms were clean and tidy. the breakfasts were quite good and the cooked breakfast was very good,if a little smaller then expected. the beds were comfortable,if a little small.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

It didn't bother me, but some people might not like a shared (small) shower room.

Very friendly and helpful. The freshly cooked breakfast was great.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Traffic noise from front facing room even with window shut and a gurgling sink.

Great to have a sink in the room and tea & coffee making facilities.

No hotel phone to ask questions in your room during your stay and I wasn't allowed to bring my own food into my room as I am a vegan

Bed was very comfy

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Ok, the room was small and the bed hard. I had to lie on the pillows to try and sleep. The traffic noise was really bad, the radiator didnt turn on and the kettle had to be on a tilt to reach the plug socket.Unfortunately I'd selected the non refundable reservation option completely by mistake when reserving the hotel- the reservation but free cancellation option was exactly the same price so unsure why it made a difference. The price was £140 for a double with shared bathroom and no breakfast. We stayed on the Saturday night and I'd booked on the Wednesday lunch time, thinking I'd just reserved it and could discuss later with my husband. I entered on Booking.com the card number online and it said 'don't worry you won't be charged' On dear. I realised 30 minutes after I'd booked I'd made a mistake as it was in red non refundable and emailed to cancel but the owner said he wouldn't refund. My husband phoned later and tried again but he wouldn't budge. He did offer us a breakfast to be included in the price and that we could leave our car in the car park and return for a shower after the Half Marathon. I'll be honest I think our stay was worth around £50 not £140.I think good customer service practice would have been to refund especially as it was such a short time after booking.

The lady who greeted us upon arrival and served us breakfast was absolutely lovely and so polite and friendly. She offered us a great choice for breakfast and even gave us some bin bags to protect us from the rain as we were running the half marathon. The shares bathroom was clean and there was no queue.I liked the slippers provided!

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

No problem with the shared bathroom but with hindsight would prefer an ensuite.

Staff were friendly and the room and bathroom were immaculately clean. Within walking distance of city centre.

Room was in front of house so I did find hearing the traffic on the main road a bit annoying - but I do live in the middle of nowhere so ... may not be an issue for other people ; and not the hotel's fault.

Warm welcome when I arrived - and showed where to park behind property. Room and bed very comfortable indeed and nicely appointed with quality furnishings and fittings - excellent upkeep of lovely, old, sustantial house. Staff very accommodating.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The direct corridor light getting into the room from above the door wasn't pleasant. I could almost see the light while lying on the bed in room 4.

Quiet

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

WiFi did not reach second floor. Room not cleaned when we were booked in. Walls thin- there was a snorer on the other side of our wall!

Breakfasts were good. Close enough to walk to the city and a bus stop outside.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The hotel is located on a main road so there was traffic noise with the window open but once closed it wasn't so bad and i had my ear plugs with me. Can't fault the hotel for that though.

Lovely breakfast.

We liked everything! No complains at all! (However, please refer to our suggestion about the narrow street).

The room was very clean, the staff very kind and professional - Daniela in particular is a wonderful lady, very polite and kind - Thank you! We enjoyed our stay! We highly recommend this hotel. PS: We would like to make a suggestion for the hotel staff - although we understand it is not your responsibility, we would like to suggest you to clean the narrow street which leads to the car park as it was full of rubbish and broken glass. Cheers.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

My room was not ensuite and I found not having a shower and toilet rather awkward.

The breakfast table was provided with full china crockery which I found rather unusual. The service was great and the food too. I was late arriving the previous afternoon so I did not have time to look around. This hotel is only a 10 minute walk to the city centre and there is a bus stop outside the hotel and a frequent bus service.

The car park is accessed via the lane behind, a little tight to get into but theres not much to be done about that.

Good location, close to town, room was immaculate and looked as if it had recently been decorated. It said shared bathroom on booking but i ended up having a bathroom in the room which was a nice bonus!

when i arrived , their was no reception area .. and had to wait and few minutes for someone to come to the door and answer, had to write my address in the vistor's book which was left by the front door with all the guest s address & phone numbers in , which seemed to be unattended and open throughout the day, my shower seemed to have a small leak which seemed to be underneath the shower stall .(room 22)...the Hotel is on a busy road so when window is open can be very noisy with the traffic . but double glazed windows helped cut the noise down ...

the bathroom was modern and clean room was was good neat and tidy ..i could walk from the centre of town to hotel in about 20 mins ..,also the bus stops outside the hotel in both directions.. staff were friendly and helpful ...

• Double or Twin Room

Would of preferred to have booking showing breakfast included , however didn't mind paying extra £5 each on arrival. Worth it

Warm and friendly. Staff couldn't do enough for myself and my son. Room was spotless and shower was excellent. Beds very comfortable and quiet. Great location to centre. Breakfast times was 7 till 9 weekday and 8 till 930 weekends. Personal preference would of liked till 10 so we could of had a lay in but it did not effect our stay, Great check out time of 11, no rush. Would highly recommend and would stay there again.

I was only booked in for 1 night, but could easily have stayed longer. The room was clean and had everything you'd need. In particular, the availability of parking was excellent. I was greeted and looked after fantastically by a lovely lady from the former Yugoslavia (if I remember correctly). Breakfast looked (and smelt) fantastic and I was gutted that I had to get going and couldn't stay for a full English!

The staff were very friendly and helpful I had a funeral to attend and arrived early 10am, this is well before the check in time, I was allowed to park my car and get my room very early, the breakfast is value for money and I really enjoyed what was on offer for the price I paid I would stay here again.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

Room was modern and nicely decorated. Breakfast was very good, and served in a Victorian-era dining room. Private parking was available behind the hotel.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

To be honest there was nothing I did not like. I booked a room without private facilities, which was no problem as a toilet and a separate toilet was close by. There was a washbasin in the room and the only fault was that he plug fitted got stuck every time it was used.

Very clean and comfortable. Staff very helpful and friendly. Free parking at rear of premises. Bus stop outside premises and plenty of regular busses tom and from City centre.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

What we hadn't realised, but perhaps should have, was that there were shared communal toilets and wash rooms. This wasn't a huge issue for us as there was never a queue despite the hotel being full for an event in Cardiff however I would advise future visitors to be aware of this in case it would be an issue for them.

At Tanes hotel we were welcomed by the owner who was very pleasant and helpful. He explained how to get into the city, it was a short 10 minute walk to the start of the pedestrian streets, and that they would be there if we needed any help.

Browse Tanes Hotel traveller photo gallery