Reviews of Taphall Bed And Breakfast 3 stars

The Street, Takeley, CM22 6QS, United Kingdom

#4 of 7 hotels in Takeley

Thank you Carol for the sandwiches when I didn’t want breakfast. Thank you for the trip to the airport the next day. Just a great place to stay if you have a quick overnight flight the next morning.

Breakfast laid out the night before, which I understand. Maybe have a small fridge for the milk and juice?

We stayed as we had an eatly flight from Stansted.Continental breakfast for people leaving early. They even made us sandwiches to take with us!

As it was unexpected I had no choice to stay here. The downside was that there were no pickups so luckily a kind gentleman let me share his taxi back from the airport as it was a Sunday and the local bus did not show up. Also, my flight was early morning and the drop off was not provided because I had to be at the airport at such an early time. Thankfully the local bus was running so I had to get up early enough to make it. Cheaper than the drop off and a taxi. If you want a transfer included, it would be better to pay the extra and stay at the Premier Inn as they constantly have shuttle buses to and from the aiport.

I liked the fact that it was reasonably close to the airport. It was the only chance I had because some of the other hotels in the area were much more expensive. It was a bed and breakfast in a family ran place. It was very quiet and cosy. I had to have an early night as I was up for a flight. There are also a couple of pubs nearby where you can go for a drink or some food. Breakfast is also provided but I had no time to have anything.

The bed was not comfortable, the shower was not very clean and the breakfast was poor. There was tea in the room but breakfast was downstairs, so we needed to make the tea upstairs in the room and take it to the table downstairs. There was butter and jam but no bread to spread it on.

Very close to the Airport and quiet

Airport taxi service is very expensive . I was missing bread or rolls or toast at breakfast. A e-mail a few hours before saying they dont take credit cards cash only.

Close to the airport,

Minor details really. Another towel would have been welcome. Only white sugar was available. I usually have sweetex tablets or brown sugar in my coffee. The area for shower and toilet a bit cramped.

Plenty of choice of food for breakfast. Greeting was friendly and chat was reasonably short, friendly and informative.

The facilities were on a par with much larger Hotels. The lady who checked me in was friendly, polite and genuine. Even though Taphall is quite close to Stansted airport no aircraft sound was heard during my stay. I would thoroughly recommend Taphall as a starting point for your Stansted flight.

Fiddly shower, worked fine but had to mess about to get consistent temperature.

Helpful friendly proprietor, clean, comfortable room, very good breakfast

Car parking is quite limited next to the property.

The double room was perfect for my requirements. Felt very homely with a nice en suite bathroom . Very close to Stansted airport.

Public transport to the b and b was not good but expensive taxis! Stansted airport is an absolute rip-off.

Room was perfect! Close proximity to Stansted but need a taxi or the proprietor will take you in the morning for £3:50 park fee!

-The B&B is cash only

+very welcoming owners +close location to the airport - you can walk in 45 minutes or take a taxi for £7-£10 +good free WiFi +excellent breakfast +tea, coffee & water provided

Everything was perfect

It was so cozy :) i loved the welcome, the hostess so kind and helpful, the room was nice and warm ,the breakfast was spectacular! i really, really enjoyed staying there, although it was just for 1 night.

It was a gray winter day, but that was not the fault of the hostess.

The cooked breakfast was excellent with good quality meats and eggs, and well cooked. The house is very old and interesting, and nice and clean. It is near Stansted Airport and on a local bus line.

Parking on site would have been better but no room, so had to park opposite house, on grass verge. Not a problem for us fortunately.

The owner obliged with breakfast left out for the morning of our flight, as we had a very early start - 6am. Very friendly and welcoming host.

The owner was going to give up the room although I had indicated I would arrive between 4-5 p.m. and so I was very unhappy. I had to leave early and there was no-one awake so I had to lock the door myself.

taxi service from airport is 17 pounds... Robery for 3 minute drive.

The stuff was very helpfull and nice. BEWARE of TAXI from airport to facility, they will rip you off...

Nothing to dislike.

Beautiful quaint 400 year old property which did not have the problems usually associated with such accommodation. Rooms and ensuite bathroom spotlessly clean, warm and welcoming as was the host Carol. Nice breakfast, quality cereals all Kellogg's, Jordans and other known brands served alongside an excellent cooked breakfast. Ideal location in a village adjoining the airport but the property was nonetheless quiet and peaceful. No problems with this property other than it would be unsuitable for wheelchair users.

Had to park across the street on the highway shoulder

Proximity to Stanstead airport, Carol was very accommodating to get breakfast for us very early in the morning

Bed was quite soft and so I personally didn't sleep too well as I kept rolling in to the middle of the bed.

Helpful and friendly landlady. Nice breakfast, lots of choice.

narrow stairways, small shower cubicle- but it's a cottage, it goes with the old English charm of the place.

Charming old building & decor, but no creaky floorboards!! and super comfy bed. Lovely host, generous breakfast.

Everything was fine for me.

Lovely old cottage, very quiet although five minutes from the airport. Kind and helpful owner, good breakfast, comfortable bed! Just mind your head if you are tall!

Extremely friendly and helpful. Went out of their way to make sure we are comfortable and our overnight stay is enjoyable. Not your average near-the-airport hotel. Well above!

For late arrivals the local pub stops taking orders for food at 9pm. V warm quilt on bed!

V clean, v comfy, everything provided -tea, coffee, cocoa; TV, hairdryer, hangers, proper toiletries, lift to airport.

Being requested for a cash only payment as I arrived, if I did not have it I was being directed to a local fuel station that had a cash point. If this was at Birchanger services there is a charge for this facility. Parking was on the street as the car park was already full on arrival at 19:15. This despite booking parking with the reservation. Unacceptable. I was booked the twin room, it was comfortable but the toilet and shower are not en-suite. Towels are small in the room. And would not have wrapped around me to pass the short distance from the shower back to the room! I do not know if it is so hard for the B&B to send an welcome email advising the cash only requirement and if the carpark has been fully booked advise the client so we have an option.

The owners are pleasant enough and they did offer a cold buffet b'fast availability for my early departure at 05:45. I do not regret to say. No! - I will not stay again, and could not recommend this establishment unless a change to the payment method and parking is made. A sms or an email could have changed my entire opinion of this establishment

Perfect solution for travellers who have their flights at night or early morning. The B&B is 5 minutes by taxi/Uber from Stansted, £13 per trip. Clean room, comfy bed. Kind owner who offered to help in booking the taxi and left me a small packed breakfast for the morning (I left at 4.30am). I would definitely recommend it and I'll be back for sure!

My wife has bad knees, so she had a little trouble with the old cottage narrow stairs. However, this was not a major issue.

Clean and comfortable. Close to Airport which was good for us. As we had a flight to catch the next. Day

Communications with the facility were excellent! I had to check-in late because of a cancelled train and the staff had to wait for me. All went absolutely smooth and the staff was extraordinarily friendly and helpful

Lovely host, super caring (she immediately ordered a taxi for my departure as I had to leave at 5am), friendly but at the same time she gave me space, highly recommended for overnights in Stansted! Absolutely perfect for my needs - comfy enough bed, spacious room, coffee and tea, hot shower with enough pressure and an effortless departure in the morning.

The people were fantastic and helpful. The b&b house was beautiful and very comfortable. 5minutes from the airport but in a quiet and village like area not like thos depressing hotel by the side of a main road. excellent pub/restaurant very near to go dinner.

Mattress too soft, old carpet on the floor, not so clean, the automatic spray in the bathroom which smells too strong & not nice, no toasts for breakfast (6am) as mentioned

Welcoming, very nice, good advices, practical, free bottle of water, ordered the taxi for me, easy going, cosy

Tea and coffee facilities in the room which was great - but none at the breakfast table. As the stairs are steep I didn't want to bring a hot cuppa down the stairs.

Only 3.5 miles from airport, Carol was very friendly and the buffet breakfast had a great selection for us (we had an early start so no cooked breakfast but we were well looked after!)

Nothing very convenient place for airport

Lady from hotel text me on the morning before my stay and ask what time I would be there,and what time leaving very courteous when we arrived she was very informative

Excellent breakfast. Comfortable room with little noise despite being on a main street. Hostess was very helpful and gave advice on what to do in London, transport to take etc

Only payments in cash accepted. There is an ATM not that far, if you are with a car.

That was the loveliest place we have ever stayed in. The house dates 400 years back, has that beautiful wood smell and a clear mark of history. The Owners have dedicated several rooms for visitors, giving a chance to feel that atmosphere. A collection of hundreds of tiny figurines and other antiquities distributed over the house creates a special feeling. It is sad we only stayed for a short night. It is a B&B, though. The rooms are cozy, neatly prepared, equipped with a tea boiler, tea and coffee, and a TV. We came late and left very early, but we were welcomed and well served. The breakfast was great. It is around 4-5 km to Stansted Airport on foot, nice nature on the way. The landlady can book a taxi for you, if preferred. Public transport goes on later hours. Very convenient to come with your own car.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

The en-suite was next door, and you had to go out of bedroom into corridor, also staircase narrow and awkward - but very minor quibbles - it's good value for money.

Cottage full of character, lots of brasses, very friendly host, excellent breakfast, comfortable room, close to airport, very good evening meal at The Green Man pub down the road.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

The property was conveniently located for Stansted airport and I would highly recommend staying here. The room was lovely and the breakfast substantial.

The stairs to our room is a bit narrow and steep. Not good for old folks with weak legs.

Clean & cosy room. Bed is comfortable. You get a good night sleep.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

The B&B has a lovely romantic atmosphere, the big English breakfast was great. A nice pub is within 300 m walking distance and the taxi journey from the airport to the B&B is reasonably cheap and quick. And Carol the host drove us in the morning to the airport, very kind of her!

Friendliness of the staff (Carol, the owner, kindly gave me a lift to the airport early in the morning). Excellent choice of breakfast (you can either have an English or continental breakfast). The property is very close to the airport, however you can barely hear any noise from there and that's very important, especially for light sleepers like me. The building itself is pretty welcoming and I loved everything about it.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

None!

Carol was very friendly and kind. She prepared a buffet breakfast for my early departure and ordered taxi ahead of the time. (I was flying out on a 6:45 flight) The room was small but very clean.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

Bed was terrible,the landlady would only take cash not any cards why?,the door on all the bedrooms had no key lock so could not protect our valuables in room had only a bolt in the inside why?

Where it is situated near airport

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

The clock alarm nearby my bed went off in the middle of the night! Was on the main road but as I was so tired I slept like a baby.

Comfy bed! Free wi-fi! A pleasant welcome! Added bonus of Freeview tv - complimentary tea/coffee! Ideal for short stays!

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

Could not fault our stay. From arriving late in the evening we were welcomed by the owner and given advice on where to grab some food before bed. Our room was beautiful and bed comfy. En suite was great and shower better than at home! We had to leave early for our flight but breakfast was left for us to have before we left. The house is amazing and I could have looked at all the things for days. We left our car and got a taxi to the airport which Carol booked for us. Looking forward to going back and spending a few more hours at least there.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

Everything was good no complaints,it was bitterly cold on the outside warm and cosy on the inside hearty breakfast if required for the not so big eaters a good selection of cereal fruit toast.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Well, the place was cozy and lovely, but still overpriced.

Just few minutes by taxi from Stansted airport. Very pleasant and warm owner of the property. Cozy place and room.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

Nice authentic British style house. Carol is very friendly and helpful. Comfortable beds, perfect cleanliness, good breakfast. Perfect location close to Stansted airport.

• Reviewed: 29 November 2016

Lovely typical english house. I felt very at home in here. It's a different and better experience to the more industrial hotels. Thankyou for taking me to the airport.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

Bus 508 from Stansted Airport till Takeley street, Rayleigh cottage station, 9 min, 1,5 £ one way

It was more then I expected. Definitely I will return

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

I had a stop over between flights & this was excellent, not far from airport and good value. Room and on-suit small, but warm, relaxing & comfortable, everything you need, inc tea & coffee making. Excellent choices for breakfast and transfer back to airport (small charge to cover charge levied by airport ). Pub & restaurant in walking distance. Carol an excellent & considerate host. Seeing her collections of brass & china. in the old cottage setting, was an added bonus!

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

I don't know what the prices are like in England but it could have been a bit cheaper

Although I had a very early flight, I still had the chance to breakfast Bed was very comfy Staff is super sweet!

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

The front bedroom (double) has a lot of traffic nois which we noticed because we live in a quiet cul de sac.

Lovely breakfast. The bedding was lovely. So close to Stansted airport but no aircraft noise. A chance to leave our car at the property on future stays

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

I did not read the details during my reservation, so it is my fault. But check in ends at 23:30, the bathroom was shared.

The owner of the place was amazing. She was really friendly and waited for me because I was running past the check in deadline. She was really helpful in arranging transport to airport for me although it was late. I am so grateful to her! Future travellers I recommend booking taxi earlier. And not using Uber as it is 80% more expensive for this trip

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

Carol is a really nice and helpful person, beds are very comfortable,everything was nice and clean, breakfast was more than enough. I can recommend this place for everyone.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Nothing really .

The accomodation was very clean . Beds very comfortable , room quiet with double glazing . Carol ,host, was very helpful drove us to the airport for 7 am,for £3 , gave us directions to a pub 2 ml down the road ( Lion and the Lamb ) for a huge roast . Location excellent , Breakfast was enough for that time of day .

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

The 508 bus is the one you need from the airport. the Green Man Pub stop ..Keep a sharp eye for it..next to the National Express office

Lovely cottage next to Hatfield Forest. 5 mins from the airport and a great breakfast

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

Nothing! Taphall isnt big or corporate, but it is clean, friendly and functional.

Warm friendly welcome was just what I needed after missing my flight!

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

I would like to personally thank Carol King (a perfect hostess!) for staying awake until midnight just waiting for me after a late flight to Stansted (even messaging me). The House was really charming, the bedroom very confortable and Carol again impressive with the breakfast.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

Carol was a wonderful host and the room was nice. It's set in a cosy rural cottage close enough to the airport (£10 each way). The green man down the road is nice for an evening bite but don't expect draught beer. Carol laid out a breakfast for us despite our early flight and offered to book us a taxi.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

There was nothing i didn't like

The lady that run the bed & breakfast was really nice & helpful, put us all some food up before we caught or early morning flight

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

Thin doors, could hear other guests and staff moving about and talking. Fruit and yoghurt breakfast was alright, skipped the plastic wrapped croissants and pastries.

Very quiet country setting, bed very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 9 July 2016

A quaint property away from the hustle and bustle of Stansted but close enough to be convenient. The owner is extremely helpful, friendly and efficient and the transfer to the airport is a bonus.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

Nothing bad to say

The owner was very kind and nice. She offered to make breakfast for me at any time I wanted. And she does a great and useful Airport drop-off service. Very very satisfied

• Reviewed: 4 July 2016

You have to keep in mind this is someones home, felt the decor was overwhelming but like I say its someones home. Would not stay again but if you are desperate it serves its purpose. Seperate bathroom .

Very close to airport.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

Not too close to the airport as it seems to be. Have to take a taxi (10.5 pound) if arrive after the bus running time.

Beautiful house. Very clean room with fragance of the softener coming from the linen. Freshly prepared English breakfast.

Bed uncomfortable.

No crossants , cereal were ok! Bed

Nothing to complain about at all

Like staying with a friend

HISTORIC building, delicious breakfast. Dining nearby, very plessant hostess free shuttle to airport

Nothing much

Friendly welcome, good breakfast and very close to the airport. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room.

Close to the airport.Breakfast was provided even if I was leaving at 5am. Very gracious Host. Would definitely stay there again.

Easy access to airport.

Didn't know that only cash payment accepted.

Ideal for an overnight stay if flying out early from Stansted.

Nice people, clean place, close to the airport.

The shower was ice cold, could not get the water to get hot

Friendly, comfi bed

Convenient location for the airport.

It was good value for money and the breakfasts were excellent, good shower and bathroom facilities.

Browse Taphall Bed And Breakfast traveller photo gallery