Reviews of Tegfan Guesthouse

4 Church Street, Caernarfon, LL55 1SW, United Kingdom

#14 of 18 hotels in Caernarfon

6.2

• Apartment

Starting to look a little tired.

Great value for money, excellent location, walking distance to Caernarfon Castle. Quirky self contained accommodation with bonus onsite parking ( only for self contained accommodation and accomplished parkers only!)

When I woke up at 6am with an ache back, I looked in the mirror to find perfect circular imprints from the mattress springs! Awful nights sleep, never again, but it was cheap 😕

Old and tired, in need of a refurb!

• Apartment

The apartment was a good size for 2 people or young family. It had everything we needed. Having own private entrance was great. Location was perfect.nestled close to shops , restaurants and castle aswell as lovely walks along the sea front at doorstep. Heated floor in bathroom was lovely. Phil was lovely and friendly.very helpful. Would stay again.

It was very dated and old fashioned. Towels not great , showers walls had damp etc . Carpet not good needs to be replaced .

Phil the host very nice , veru helpful and pleasant he's the best thing about the place and his lovely breakfast if course.

• En Suite Double Room

The only problem was parking but in this location it has to be expected so not disappointed.

Warm welcome, Phil is a comedian, great guy. Good sized en suite room in a good location. Clean, comfortable, quiet. Good breakfast sets you up for the day. I would use this guesthouse again

I would of liked my own toilet in my room but that’s not the hotels fault that’s my late booking

The staff were lovely,the location was perfect and the breakfast was perfect

• En Suite Double Room

There was some issues with the shower and toilet, however that was circumstantial.

The host was amazing, thank you Phil! The room was as youd expect in a guesthouse, the addition of a sofa was nice. Very cozy :)

• Apartment

It was a bit dusty in places and the owner misplaced our booking at first which took a bit of working out (although it was OK in the end).

Apartment was a great location for exploring Caernarfon. Really comfy beds and nice shower room with underfloor heating. Private parking in a part of town that struggles for spaces was handy

• Three-Bedroom Apartment

I requested breakfast with our booking and free parking but when we got there we had to find a spot on the street to park and because we were a family group we were given the apartment which was self catering. For one nights stay there was no point in grocery shopping. Soap and toilet paper was not even supplied.

Closeness to Caernofen Castle.

The WIFI was not working when we were staying at the B&B which was really annoying as the area has reasonably poor mobile reception for Data use - if you're into streaming movies at night it's a pain. Parking near the B&B is really unlikely to be available as Caernarfon is a busy tourist destination, it'll be a case of paying to park in the nearby supermarket carpark just 10 minutes walk from the B&B which costs £7/day but is free on Sundays.

The Host Phil was a really lovely guy, very quirky, made us laugh that's what I liked about him. Breakfast was provided for us, it was a greasy little fry up or cereal toast and jam - whatever you preferrred - it hit the spot for us and helped us get up the mountain in Snowdon that morning! Rooms were comfortable and were upto scratch for a budget b&b with modern TV's that had HDMI inputs on for you to connect your own stuff.

The shared bathroom was a tight squeeze with very compact toilets (2) and showers (2).

Phil was welcoming and the location within the City walls was ideal. The bedroom was large as was the fry up in the morning. For me as a single traveler this offered excellent value for money.

Beds weren't that comfy and could have been cleaner, but all in all was good value for money.

Staff very friendly and helpful. room quite spacious and had everything required. Thankyou.

• Family Room with Shared Bathroom Facilities

Accommodation in excellent spot, walk everywhere.if driving there are alot of one way streets and we were lucky to get a park out front, if not public parking down the street.The staff lovely and breakfast delicious.The price was good for location and type of accommodation..

Lock not working on one of the shower doors. Handle loose on one of the toilet flush.

Friendly staff very helpful, parking a big problem outside, but you can park just about 4mns walk in the marina car park and it's Free

Tegfan is the dirtiest and grottiest place I have ever stayed. It smells and is visibly dirty. I couldn’t bring myself to eat breakfast there and although I paid for two nights, I only stayed for one then paid to go somewhere else forefitting the second night. I felt thoroughly dirty after my one night! I am a forty year old man who has lived a bit. If my wife had been with me we wouldn’t have been there for more than five minutes. It is the kind of place that makes me think there should be legislation to stop places getting this bad. Do not let the thought ‘how bad can it be for the money?’ go through your head at the time of booking. It will be really bad. Avoid at all costs - I would rather sleep on a park bench.

The chap who greeted me was a little weird but friendly enough. You have to knock on a basement door and he comes to greet you. “Are you sure you have booked? Are you really sure?” Once we got past that he was fine. Location is good but no parking.

Limited parking nearby and the grubby accommodation and the shower was cold. We were given the only en suite room as they were not expecting us until we gave them our booking reference. Not the best of welcomes! The view from our room was the backyard complete with rubbish and old mattress.

The property was damp and dirty breakfast was acceptable. A hot traditional cooked breakfast. Location was the best part within castle walls and easy access to town and facilities

stains on chair upholstery , overall tiredness to the room and building .it did not appear to have had any décor maintainace for a long time . the chap that looked after the place said the owner lived 75 miles away and he never saw her. I,m glad I was on my own ,my wife would not have been happy. the shabbiest B&B I,ve stayed I'm.

sheets were clean ,towels smelt fresh.

• Family Room with Shared Bathroom Facilities

Next door to a derelict building, and B&B also needs some maintainance On arrival there was the smell of burning fat through out building. Though later on that night it had gone from halls ect it remained in the room , The view from window was of a dirty old double mattress in a yard. Finding a cigarette butt in bedroom. The mattress on bed couldnt be slept on as springs sticking up all over it, so bad I could still feel them through the duvet on top, which I slept on. The mattress also looked dingey. So I got no sleep, and when mentioned it next morning was ignored. We didnt bother staying for the breakfast. I would not stay here again

close to the castle and quay

• En Suite Double Room

I just say Phil is a character!!!!!!!☺️

The place is a budget place !!!a experience.dont go if you are fussy!!!!! The saying goes something like'you get what you pay for,.

Great position, stayed in the apartment with my three kids. Beds were comfy and clean. Manager quirky but exactly how I expected after reading other reviews. Good with kids! Bathroom clean, sofas a bit old but comfy enough. Plus had my own parking space which was a plus! Great price very happy!

• En Suite Double Room

Unfortunately our shower was cold and the pipes were very loud when flushing the chain and running the taps.

Bed was so very comfy and the room was a lovely size.

The window of the room was mouldy, the entrance to the building looked dirty, the cup in the dinning wash not cleaned properly, the place needs good cleaning.

The breakfast

• Apartment

The bathroom floor was heated. It was a very hot day, however this would be great on any other normal day in spring/winter/autumn.

Great location. Really quiet We were in the a little apartment. Had a private parking spot with it. Staff were friendly and welcoming We were out a lot so it was exactly what we needed for our little stay.

Lots of dust in the room, was making me sneeze constantly. Don't think it had been cleaned before my stay.

Stayed in the ensuite room, other rooms have shared bathrooms/showers. Bed was very comfy and had a great nights sleep. Phil is very accommodating and makes a great breakfast.

we were quoted £36 on line. Were charged £52 ROBBED. Proprietor said he had no notice of on line booking. NO WiFi, couldn't show him our confirmation on my tablet.

• Three-Bedroom Apartment

Mainly the place was very dirty, unclean. I couldn't even be sure if the bed sheets were fresh. For a three bed apartment, we needed to go buy extras like toilet roll. Everything was covered in grime. I can deal with a place looking and feeling dated, but it needs to be clean. There was clear evidence of a long standing bathroom to kitchen leak from the shower. Master bedroom is quite dark, no real natural light, no mirrors. Just one bathroom - details are mis-leading in that it states a shower and bathroom. The mattresses were not comfortable..the springs hurt.

Other than the location, the 3 bed apartment was lacking in may ways,

I had felt certain I had booked us a room with an ensuite so discovering we had to share a bathroom was a bit dissapointing and was tricky with my disabled mum having to juggle a phone (for light) and keys to make her couple of toilet runs during the night. Also while we saw first hand how tirelessly Phil works on keeping the place clean, I noticed that the shared bathroom hand towels and hand towels in the bathroom were musty smelling, like they missed being changed. There were a couple of other minor cleanliness issues, but they were at the fault of other people staying there and Phil fixed as soon as he was able and despite these dislikes, would 100% stay again!

Phil was such a generous and helpful host! What a cracker of a sense of humour too! He was spot on with his restuarant recommendations and helped us carry our luggage up the stairs. We were in a double room (which actually had a double bed plus a single bed) that was comfortable and had tea and coffee making facilities there aswell as a handy sink for brushing our teeth in, as we had a shared bathroom. Tegfan sits within the castle walls which was exciting for me! Breakfast was plentiful and good coffee!

• Family Room with Shared Bathroom Facilities

When we arrived the owner seemed like it was an inconvenience! It appeared that he was doing us a favour letting us stay there!!

The location was good. He did make an early breakfast because we had to depart, but he did not communicate that to us and we missed out.

The welcoming was a bit weird. Staff seems under pressure, they could cope better. Breakfast was not high quality. Complicated to find free parking space (or even paying parking space).

Very good location in the old town. Cheaper than most places. Unfortunately shared bathroom but at least these were clean. The heating was on, it was nicely warm. Relatively quiet so good sleep.

Simple, perfectly located room within Caernarfon walls. Excellent service and cooked breakfast. Beds were extremely comfortable with nice modern linen. Would recommend staying for anyone who wants to stay right in the heart of town!

• Family Room with Shared Bathroom Facilities

Was there for two days and the guesthouse met my needs

Very warm welcome, room clean and good size, change of towels Full English breakfast, good choice of cereals, juice and tea/coffee. 3 mins walk to town lots of pubs/restaurants/shops/chippy. Would recommend good value for the price

• Apartment - Ground Floor

The cleaning was not up to standard in the kitchen area fridge not clean and oven left a lot to be desired

Location to the town centre and it was a fair size and a decent tv

• En Suite Double Room

Needs a complete revamp, decor and furniture a bit tatty, old mattresses in back yard very off putting.

Good location, friendly staff and nice breakfast.

• Family Room with Shared Bathroom Facilities

was not happy when we went down for breakfast when i looked in the kitchen and there was bowls on the floor with cat food which indicated there was cats in the kitchen

Lack of parking (actually got fined the first night I was there for parking on the road the hotel is on) beds are a little springy but for the price I'm not complaining.

The staff were quirky and friendly. The hotel was mostly clean throughout. Breakfast was great.

TV kept loosing signal. The guy looking after the rooms was a little creepy and kept popping up out of no-where. He said it was the best breakfast in Wales and it was very average. The coffee was like dishwater. I felt I was pestered out of the room by 10.15am by the guy hanging around outside my door waiting to clean. REALLY POOR.

Room was clean.

The accomodation is fair and in good conditions for this price it is worth to stay here.

Phil was really funny who took care of us and he was also very flexible with our requests. He cooked very nice breakfast every morning.

• En Suite Double Room

No lock on the bathroom door, the shower head was broken (it was snapped near the base so it was hard to put up the railing it rested on) and the toilet took at least two flushes to flush properly and took ages to refill

Staff were very friendly and chatty, and made lovely breakfasts

The reception is extremely friendly, like a family. The location is great with easy access to the bus and the castle. Comfortable room, wonderful breakfast. I loved the days I've been there!

Nothing. Would benefit from a lick of paint perhaps, but full of character and charm.

Excellent value for money. Nothing fancy, but clean and warm. Great full breakfast cooked to order. Close to town, castle, pubs etc. Very friendly and welcoming host. I have no qualms in recommending this excellent b&b.

• Apartment - Ground Floor

The worst stay ever greeted by a man who siad who are you what do you want! appartment flithy we didnt stay after l had payed would not use anything all dirty bedding stinks oven awful stuff in freezer mashes together fridge had bits of food in whole place smelt of drains we didnt even have a drink there it was so bad dim lights and dingy derelic new door never ever have l seen such a bad place, please see photos

• Family Room with Shared Bathroom Facilities

Too many pubs which encourage over drinking and allow large groups to gather. Felt unsafe and intimidated.

Close to town centre and tourist attractions including the castle and river

• Apartment

The parking was tight and difficult to get in to. Check in process was unclear. The key to lock the door was fickle.

Walking to pubs and restaurants. It's within castle walls. It was clean and the bathroom had heated floors.

A tired and outdated bed and breakfast with questionable cleanliness. Why did the towels smell as if a rugby player had used them the week before and left them behind? And why the top sheet on the bed? How often are the duvets changed? Owner/manager swore throughout the check in process

The only positive was the town centre location. Aside from that there was little to like. I can't believe people are giving this venue high ratings

• Apartment

Spacious apartment in a great location on the high street (round the corner from the main guest house.) Decently furnished, central but private. Full kitchen (not kitchenette), with oven, toaster, microwave, everything you could need.

• Three-Bedroom Apartment

Place could do with updating, shower curtain pole hanging off. Electrics not really finished off.. electricity went off prior to us vacating so no hot water or lights

would have been better if they had got wifi it states clearly on there website wifi in all areas will not go there again wifi is company for me

the dining room and breakfast

• Family Room with Shared Bathroom Facilities

Shower room could of done with a clean but useable

Phill was Awsome fab hospitality great breakfast nothing too much trouble very friendly great place as walking distance to castle and shops will use again went next in Wales

Finding parking was a little inconvenient but found a car park a few blocks away near the smallest pub in Wales which made it worth the walk back to the hotel.

Very friendly... beautiful location

My room wasn't en-suite, the sink in my room hadn't been cleaned, my bed had at least four dark hairs in it which weren't mine, the communal showers were not very clean and one of the female staff members wasn't very helpful when I asked her about public transport on Sundays.

I liked the tea and coffee facilities and the TV had a DVD player too. I also loved the guesthouse cat and my bed was comfortable, I slept well.

• En Suite Double Room

bit old fashioned and en-suite is better described as a big cupboard in the room with plumbing BUT overall good

the host was a little "quirky" to start but overall made the stay pleasant

We were lucky to get a park right outside but this could be a problem. Possibly because of the thick city walls, we couldn't get internet access. We went out to dinner at a local pub and did our internet business there.

The property is centrally located only 5 minutes walk to the castle and the town centre. Our host was friendly and helpful and provided us with a delicious full English breakfast. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. And it was great value for money.

• En Suite Double Room

It was dirty. Rubbish outsite the window in their back yard. Shower repaired, but that repair was broken too. No one answered our doorbells on arrival. The propriater was strange, and his manner was uncomfortable - as too it had been when I phoned a few days earlier to check about the booking. He seemed unable to cope. To the point that we simply ate our first breakfast out rather than there. He wanted payment upfront. Frankly despite the fact it was cheap, it should not have been dirty and unsuitable for people to stay. The noisy bed above us was so squeaky every time the occupant simply turned over. Our bed was not brilliant either. I could not eat breakfast on our second morning. The filth on the dining room mirror and the windows was horrible. My mug left a lot to be desired. I could not touch a thing. Other guests who were there also were horrified at the condition of their room. They said they would never go back, and nor would we. DO NOT GO there, trust me!

Absolutely nothing

*The free WiFi DOES NOT work. *There is NO free parking, (only street available on a residential street in a tiny walled town). *The whole place is filthy - I’m a tolerant individual but it needs sorting! *Caretaker doesn’t know how booking.com works so please be careful on how you book - I suggest paying on arrival and NOT through the site.

*Bed was comfortable and sheets and most of room adequately clean. *The caretaker of the facility tries his best, the owner on the other hand should just sell up or close down (to deep clean and renovate!) *The location couldn’t be more central. (But Caernafon is so small no hotel is more than 5mins away from everything!)

• En Suite Double Room

Parking directly outside wasn't great however there was a free car park at the top of the road and cheap car parks surrounding

Friendly staff. Homely feel. Great breakfast. Great location. Comfy bed.

House needs deep cleaning

Owner is a lovely chap. Bit if you travel with a toddler you expecting better standard especially shover/toilets. Property needs BIG refurb. Parking? Good luck...

The property was very tired and could have been a bit cleaner. We were very lucky to get a parking place nearby, if you were unlucky you could end up taking a lo0ng time to find parking unless you pay for it.

Owner was friendly and helpful. Property is within the walled part of the town, very central to everything.

• Apartment - Ground Floor

The accommodation was horrid! The experience was awful. The apartment views are of a building about to be demolished. The unit was grimy and stunk. From the check in experience of being over-charged (Booking.com had to get involved to get a refund) to the unit above us leaking water from their bathroom, it was really really bad. No apologies from staff, it appeared to be normal practice. The staff were apathetic at best and not receptive to finding solutions. One of the worst experiences ever!

Big TV and good WIFI

The shower nozzle was broken so couldn't adjust the height. Outdated facilities. Not much room in the toilet cubicles for a man my size.

Good choice of cereals for breakfast and cooked breakfast is just right. Bed is really comfy and room was the perfect temperature all night. Perfect location if you want to visit the town. Parking is free between 6pm and 8am about 2-3 minutes walk away.

• En Suite Double Room

Room not vacuumed after previous occupant, and only done on our 3rd day. Ditto entrance hall. No choice of breakfast unless you wanted a very greasy cooked one. (Wife wrapped most of it in the folded kitchen roll that was supposed to be a napkin.) Whole place smelt 'musty' to the extent that we bought an air freshener. Owner does not live on site. Terraced house on a one-way street with take-your-luck parking.

Bed very comfy. Female staff very pleasant.

The only thing we did not like was parking, we did manage to park outside the hotel for the last day of our stay.

The breakfast was very good, and they even had gluten free bread for me at Breakfast, bed was comfy and clean, superb location for castle and town facilities, clean towels every day this is a guest house.

You are lucky to get a parking space, if you get one don't move. Parking in that area is bad.

Phil was a great guy. Had a problem with parking so he allowed me to use his parking space. He was always around to help when needed.breakfast was great.

• En Suite Double Room

The shower could do with replacing and the décor freshening up. We were on the ground floor and whenever somebody moved in the room above the glass lampshade rattled!

Friendly staff and the breakfast was delicious. The guest house is brilliantly situated for the castle and town.

• En Suite Double Room

Room was small for 2 of us; our ensuite bathroom could do with an update.

Phil was friendly and helpful; inside old city walls and very close to Castle, close to restaurants etc. Good breakfast.

The parking in a one way Street on only one side and it's 5min away from car park on Sea front

It was inside the castle walls next to the sea and close to snowdon mountain that I walked on the Sunday. Also lots of places to eat 🤓

The property does not have ensuite rooms that may be a problem for some I was only staying overnight so I was happy how things were.

Excellent in every way.

• Apartment - Ground Floor

Was in apartment 7 High Street Parking is a nightmare. Eventually had to leave the car in the Council car park overnight, not ideal. Place felt grubby,fold down bed very uncomfortable with no sheets only a quilt and pillow

Location, ideal for castle and town centre

• Family Room with Shared Bathroom Facilities

rooms with king size beds were double bedsheets were yellow and stained the toilets and showers were on the next floor and shared between 3 floors they were all in 1 room 2 toilets one with a broken lock. thank god I am not on the large size as you couldn't swing a cat in the shower or toilets. you need to take care going down for what was called a full English as the sheets and duvet covers were dropped over and down 2 fights of stairs hard hats may be needed. as for the full English breakfast 1 sausage 1 bacon 1 egg half a spoon of beans and half spoon of tinned tomatoes and toast sent to your table 10 to 15 mins before food napkins were paper towels their were no more than 6 people for this FULL ENGLISH yet it took 20 to 25 mins to get to the table from the kitchen next to the dinning room. the bb is on a small road a recycling lorry passes every morning round 6 30 t0 7 if your not awake at this stage you will be . we had booked for 3 nights when I asked if we could just stay the 1 night I was told no problem but I would be charged for the 3 nights .this also happened to another couple who also wanted to leave and they had only booked 1 night phil the landlord or who ran the place could do with using 1 of the showers and any of the old razors left in the SHOWER ROOM also when washing the bedding may also like to maybe wash his own clothing how in the name of GOD did this place get an 8 on its ratings and a 10 for hygiene maybe these ratings certs can be bought in a local shop

leaving

Desparately in need of a total refit. Custodian's attempt at humour was weird and would probably be very disconcerting to anyone who did not recognise it as such. Carpets must be getting on for half a century old.

See the above notes. Truth in advertising would have helped prevent a great disappointment.

What a great disappointment. We booked a room with a king size bed, an ensuite, free parking and free WiFi. None of these existed. The single bed in the room had plastic over a mattress in which one felt every spring. There were only three toilets to be shared by those in the building. We were greeted by a man leaving the common shower clad only with a towel. This place was a great fraud and Booking.com has lost our confidence as a future source.

Green mould in breakfast milk jug lid! Long term dust/fluff on light fittings and cables. Extraction fans full of fluff and dust.

Very close to castle and other facilities. Well presented cooked breakfast.

No parking.

The place is very similar to uni digs. Shared shower and toilets, didn't have time for the breakfasts but the sure smelt good. The free parking is true but very limited and we never were able to use it since it was always full. Had to pay for parking 5 mins walk away which was not ideal. The free parking should not be used to advertise the place. It is cheap and you get what you payed for but no more.

I got what I paid for. The bed was on a slant so I felt that I would roll out. There is not much street parking available and when I asked the staff member the rules of street parking he didn't know, as he didn't drive. It shouldn't matter if he drives or not, he should know the rules of street parking and the best places to park around the guesthouse. In one of the showers you couldn't adjust the height of the shower head, as a tall person this is a problem. The entire guesthouse needs some freshening up.

The location was great for walking around the city.

• Apartment - Ground Floor

There were various plugs not working and hanging off. The taps were loose. The carpets were filthy and the whole place was grimy. We didn't eat there. It needs a lot of maintenance.

The guy Phil was lovely and friendly and the location was superb. The apartment was well presented.

• Three-Bedroom Apartment

Some lights weren't working. You need to be lucky to find street parking - we were lucky on both nights.

Stayed 2 nights in the 3 bedroom apartment. Fantastic little place within walled areas of the Caernafon castle, with rooms over three floors. Classic old apartment with less modern furniture. However, the apartment is fully equipped with all modern amenities.