Reviews of The Abbey 4 stars

14-16 Bath Parade, Cheltenham, GL53 7HN, United Kingdom

#15 of 28 B&Bs and Inns in Cheltenham

Very comfortable and enjoyable stay and good value for money. Would stay there again.

My only problem was that the shower was a little cramped an could have done with a small tray to hold gels etc

The breakfasts were very good with excellent range of options and good portions. Also the owners and members of staff were friendly and welcoming.

Comfortable, spotlessly clean room, with welcoming hosts.

I stayed for two nights. My only disappointment was one very poor night's sleep due to loud music from a nearby pub and then late night revellers afterwards. It is a good location close to the High Street but I suppose this is the compromise.

Attractive property. Good size room with comfortable double bed and linen sheets. Spotlessly clean. Friendly and helpful staff and well cooked breakfast. Lovely small park behind property.

Excellent from start to finish

Thought a bench outside the front would have been a good idea. While waiting for rest of our party instead of inside when weather is good.

Lovely decorated rooms. Very quiet room. Excellent breakfast. Very welcoming staff.

Excellent B&B. A treasure in the centre of Cheltenham. Would definitely go again and recommend it to

Parking can be a little awkward. The owners sort the permits out for you and at £2 per day a considered bargain compared to other places.

Very convenient to centre of Cheltenham. Excellent choice at breakfast. Spotlessly clean. Very friendly hosts.

Perfect location, great room and the friendliest people. We want to go and stay again!!

There’s not anything I can think of that I didn’t like.

We booked last minute ( day before ) and we were led to our room which the landlady said was the smaller of the rooms but it was perfect! A period fireplace in the room, we felt away from the other rooms so not a risk of waking others up when we get in after a few cocktails !! The room was on the street side so caught beautiful light all evening! The street is so quiet we could keep our window open too. The bed and linen were so comfortable and soft. We loved everything! Great coffee and croissants before our breaks too!! And the bar for pre drinks was the icing on the cake!

High attention to detail
    • Budget Single Room with external Bathroom

Although the property had paid such great attention to detail on many aspects, this made you notice the little bits that pulled them down. There were no tissues, no hot chocolate sachets with the in-room kettle and the hairdryer only worked when pointing downwards. These were minor in the grand scheme of things, but noticeable nonetheless.

The property paid extremely great attention to all the minute details. The window was great at opening widely to bring air into the room. The hosts were extremely friendly and accommodating, especially to my request for a later check-out time and were inquisitive as to how my run had gone. It was a relatively cheap room and if I needed to stay over in Cheltenham again, I would certainly be looking to return to this property!

Comfortable and convenient stay with great location. I would definately reccomend it to anyone.
    • Budget Single Room with external Bathroom

Room décor was a bit old fashioned (strong pink with flowers). A separate sheet for warm nights needed (mid summer temperatures).

Staff, location, breakfast, facilities, hygienic, comfy bed and pillows, fan included. Location is in the town centre but near parks and 30 min walk to the Cotswolds national park.

The location and facilities and breakfast were all very good and I shall stay again if I need to.
    • Budget Single Room with external Bathroom

The bathroom was extremely cramped and the power shower rather low pressure.

I booked the last available single room at short notice - it was rather small but everything in it was of good quality and the bed was comfy. Considering the reasonable price it was still good value. Breakfast was excellent.

The Abbey, in brief highly recommend.

The Abbey, in brief highly recommend. Enjoyed it so much we've looking forward to the next short break (not many places I can genuinely say that of) Fantastic staff who are warm and friendly, without trying to be your new best friend, with one of the best cooked breakfasts I’ve had in a while. Read all the reviews and try it, you won’t be disappointed.

Unfortunately too noisy to enjoy

Bathroom was tiny... shower was very poor. Central location was very noisy.... hot evening but couldn't have windows open because of the town centre revelers till 5am.... so didn't get much sleep

Location...

Very attractive surroundings, needs some interest in guests - step up the hospitality skills.

The initial welcome, and general interest/ conversation with guests. At breakfast, the proprietor was completely absorbed in his computer in his office, which is open and visible to the dining area. Felt a bit ignored!

Very pleasant stay, beautifully decorated rooms, well coordinated. Excellent location within walking distance of centre and hospital.

The Abbey is a very relaxing and welcoming B&B

The only slight difficulty is the parking but really this is only a minor inconvenience

VERY friendly staff. Great breakfast. Rooms are smallish but they have everything you need. Very close to the city centre. Rooms are beautifully decorated.

The owners went out of their way to accommodate my dietary...

Although I think the curtains were black out, there were so many gaps around them that the light streamed in. This was a minor gripe as I needed to get up anyway, but I'm the kind of person who needs darkness to sleep really well!

The owners went out of their way to accommodate my dietary requirements. It was very much appreciated!

I was staying for a special occasion and having such a nice place to sleep was a bonus.

NOTHING!

I was impressed by the extra mile the Abbey went to after I told them I was a vegan. It made my stay, especially the smashed avacado on toast for breakfast. I didn't expect that!

Just the ticket!

Nice clean family hotel with very friendly people in charge. Excellent breakfast. Altogether recommended. On-street parking arrangements simple, free of charge and effective.

Central location with very friendly staff. Very comfortable.

Only the parking. Very difficult but we did manage to find a place every day.

Although the room was maybe not as big as in some hotels it was very comfortable. The staff and owners were extremely friendly and efficient and the food was excellent - all organic.

Wonderful Break

The shower in our room was a bit sensitive when it came to temperature and pressure, although it may just have been a result of showering at peak times in the morning.

Friendly, helpful staff. The breakfasts were delicious and the tea facilities in the room were always well stocked. We really enjoyed our stay here and would definitely stay again in the future. It was a great location from which to explore Cheltenham and further afield in the Cotswolds.

Due to weather conditions I.
    • Budget Single Room with external Bathroom

Due to weather conditions I.e Snow was not able to travel to hotel, I informed them before 9.30 that an appointment I was attending may be cancelled due to the weather conditions, gentleman I spoke to was unhelpful, phoned them again at 11.30 to tell them it had been cancelled but would be rearranged! Said I may get discount if I rebooked with them, when informed off new date wanted to charge same rate as before as this was now out of season. So found them very unhelpful and it is a shame they consider money more important than people's safety.

Friendly, comfortable and well located guest house.

No gripes from me.

Staff were friendly and helpful - the updated rail information I was given made a big difference to our journey home. Porridge, toast and a pot of tea was a very pleasant way to start the day. Our single rooms were both clean and cosy. Great shower too. We only stayed 2 nights, but would certainly go back and stay longer.

The property is in a great location in the heart of...

The property is in a great location in the heart of Cheltenham. Our room was very clean and cosy. Breakfast was great and came out to us very quickly. Would definitely stay here again!

My first stay here and a good choice; and I would return with confidence.
    • Budget Single Room with external Bathroom

A well managed guest house in a convenient location. The small single room with adjacent private shower / toilet was good value and suitable for a one night stay. The website information regarding facilities, parking, etc proved to be reliable.

Enjoyable and worthwhile

Small shower and instructions / Map to get into town could of been better.

Homeley with a professional feel, very good location for the center of town.

Comfy and pleasant with good facilities

Tiny point but soap dish to rest bottles on in shower tilted forward so couldn’t be used. Plain yoghurt in a bowl to have with the fruit or nuts would be good at breakfast and also potatoes on hot menu. But it was a good breakfast.

Comfy bed, pot for tea and also herbal teas supplied. Everything needed was there and worked even though not as “high end” as some places. It was stylish enough and comfortable to stay in. Staff were friendly but not obtrusive.

This is amazing value and really ticks all the boxes - room, location, breakfast and parking.
    • Family Room

Got a parking space right outside and didn’t have to move the car at all, as everything was walking distance. Fantastic central location, warm welcome, beautiful room, great breakfast.

No frills does the job for one night. Pleasant.
    • Budget Single Room with external Bathroom

My room was a little small but it was comfortable. I was only told about the £2 parking per day when I paid.

The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was very nice.

Excellent choice of hotel - will definitely book again

Lovely spacious room and shower room. Breakfast had a great choice and good quality food. An honesty bar with good wines. Overall we had a great stay.

Disappointing...

The owners had not been copied from their booking.com diary to the hotel diary correctly and therefore they only had 1 of the 3 rooms available for the first night we were due to stay and then they had all 3 rooms for the 2nd night. I had even called to check the reservation prior to arrival and was assured that if I had my confirmation from booking.com there would be no issue. This meant two couples could not stay at the hotel. The lady was apologetic and booked us into another hotel 10 minutes away and paid for our taxi there. We were however offered no compensation for the huge inconvenience it caused us to move to a different hotel for one of the two nights- that was actually further away from where we needed to be that evening- and meant we had to move half way through our stay. We were still charged full price for the stay of 2 nights, despite this huge error on their behalf. It was actually very disappointing, and therefore I would not recommend the hotel.

Minimal hotel rooms, very basic.

Excellent B&B.

Room decor and comfort was lovely. Lovely hot shower and tray with teapot , etc was a nice touch. Breakfast was great, plenty of choice and made fresh to order. Parking was ideal and a bargain at £2 a day.

well absence of lift definitely is an issue if you have lots...

well absence of lift definitely is an issue if you have lots baggage. plus towels were not replaced even after dropping in shower, they were just folded back on the rack. less options in breakfast though for vegetarian.. but manageable.

A great choice for a convenient place to stay in Cheltenham
    • Superior Single Room

I had to leave early so wasn't able to sample the breakfast on this occasion.

Great location for theatres, shopping and restaurants, comfortable small double room. Spotlessly clean. Honesty bar.

Sufficed for an overnight but would not return
    • Budget Single Room with external Bathroom

Single room was adequate and bed comfortable but room felt rather tired. Separate bathroom was really a cupboard with an electric pump toilet. Whilst basically functioned both room and bathroom poor value.

Breakfast was the best part - very cheerful staff and good food.

Close to town, easy to get to, great breakfast, friendly staff
    • Superior Single Room

WiFi could be stronger I ended up using my phone. Breakfast times were good but 9:30am would help for later checkouts. However I did get down just before 9am and staff stayed till I finished 😀

Breakfast was excellent, location 5 mins from town. Reasonable parking.

I arrived in the hotel around 7pm and there was a lady ready...

Nothing. Everything was perfect

I arrived in the hotel around 7pm and there was a lady ready to welcome me. She show me the room, it was perfect! Cured in every details. From the toilet that was perfectly clean to the bed. If you like english breakfast then the one that the Hotel is offering is amazing! Great variety and the food was well cooked. The Hotel is located in the centre of Cheltenham so ( 2m away from the high street ) Definitely I will come back in this lovely hotel

A great few days in this historic town

Nothing we didn't like

Excellent accommodation and facilities. Couldn't be any more convenient for the town centre , Bars , Shops and Restaurants and places of interest. Owner and staff very friendly. Breakfast was superb with a choice to suit all tastes.

Excellent - Comfortable and friendly.

Nothing at all.

Excellent B&B. Very friendly and attentive hosts. The B&B was recommended by work colleagues who also rate it extremely highly. Every time I am in the area, The Abbey will be my first choice.

Nice small hotel in a central location. Pleasant staff, very good breakfast with vegetarian option.

No lift so had to carry suitcases upstairs. The owner did help, but if she had been busy we would have been doing it ourselves.

Nice modern room, clean and spacious with pretty view of the garden.

The breakfasts were great.
    • Budget Single Room with external Bathroom

The breakfasts were great. The staff were helpful, gave me a lot of advice about exploring the Cotswolds by public transport. The bus station is about 10 minutes walk.

Friendly staff

Would have been better with parking Showers were v small Breakfast room could have been bigger

Friendly staff Clean bedding rec Wi-Fi rec Good breakfast

The twin room was in the basement - this was not mentioned...

The twin room was in the basement - this was not mentioned in the description of the room. We would not have booked it if we had known that. The room itself was very nice but the price was stiff for a basement room.

Liked staying in Cheltenham. Plenty of bars and restaurants.

Parking. But I would say I always moan about parking as the councils like to cash in on the residence and visitors.

Very nice hotel. Would stay again. Would recommend to family & Friends.

All very comfortable and relaxing, breakfast provision excellent.

Was a little concerned about parking before I got there, but it was all fine, host was reassuring.

Very attractive decoration in all parts of the venue, everybody helpful, proximity to town centre excellent.

I Had a great Stay at Cheltenham and the Cotswolds was very nice and I will be going back.
    • Budget Single Room with external Bathroom

The Staff were Friendly and Helpful and were very Welcoming,They did a very good Breakfast and they had a small Bar which you could help yourself.The Hotel was close to the High Street.

This is the third time that my wife and I have stayed at the...

Blackout curtains or blinds would make the stay even more comfortable, as our room was facing the roadside, and the area was quite bright throughout the night!

This is the third time that my wife and I have stayed at the Abbey, and I can honestly say that we have never been disappointed. Excellent location, clean and comfortable rooms, and tasty breakfast.

Very comfortable and friendly hotel.
    • Budget Single Room with external Bathroom

The wifi was a bit slow. My room was a small budget room and a bit musty but probably just needed airing.

The very friendly staff and excellent breakfast. There was a lovely view of the garden and park behind from the dining room.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

We had a very enjoyable stay

There are few rooms at the basement level which at least one had a slight mildew smell.

Nice rooms. Friendly staff. Good breakfast. Very close to Main Street. Free parking in the street supported by the hotel.

Excellent value for money. The staff very helpful and friendly,Hitchin center a short stroll away.
    • Budget Single Room with external Bathroom

The room was a little tired and the bathroom dated.

Excellent choice for breakfast. Stayed with my Labrador who was made very welcome. Their is a bit of a treck to take in ones luggage, from the parking area. Beautiful grounds very peaceful.

Ideal accommodation and location for our short break visit to The Cotsowlds.

On street parking was a bit challenging but being so close to town centre this was no surprise.

Breakfasts were excellent, as was service. Hosts were friendly and helpful.

Excellent accommodation - wouldn't hesitate to return!

Not much could be improved on really, but a shelf in the shower would have been good for shampoo and shower gel/soap. The on street parking was a bit of a pain, and quite difficult as the one way streets are very small and the spaces very tight. We managed to park right outside the hotel on one occasion, but we were lucky, and could have had to park a few streets away (as we did on the first day).

The facilities were very good, and I'm sure that had we wanted anything additional, Yasmin would have found it for us. Excellent tea/coffee making facilities in the room (with quality biscuits) and very comfortable beds. Lovely and quiet at night, and the window could be opened right up. We were even provided with a fan for the heat!

Very nice...

Lovely B&B very close walk to shopping and pubs. It is very pleasant and impeccably clean...there is even an "honor bar" in the front sitting room where you get have a beer or wine to end your day. The Full English breakfast was perfect, as well as fresh fruit and yogurt. Parking was fine...we managed a spot right out front on the street...there is a church lit around the corner if needed...

Great B&B, highly recommended.

No complaints whatsoever.

The staff were really friendly and helpful and my room was more than good enough. Really enjoyed the breakfast too. Would definitely stay again.

Functional clean good food friendly staff when present

Really felt like an air bnb rental served it's purpose,

My definition of hotel appears v different, no sense of human presence at reception or on premises, however at breakfast met owner and staff who were v friendly

Great value
    • Superior Single Room

Parking made a bit more difficult by one way system but OK. Proprietors arranged parking permit in advance, which was good.

Centre of Cheltenham within easy walking distance. Clean, comfortable room with compact but bijou en suite bathroom.

Friendly
    • Family Room

Few very minor wear bits noticed in room - hole in net curtain. Marks on wallpaper also would have been nicer three single beds for us three over 50 ladies. Not one single and a small double.

Welcoming staff. Clean. Lovely breakfast

Staff were very helpful and friendly.

There appeared to have been a communication problem between, the hotel, Booking.com and us as when we arrived we were told the hotel had been emailing us for two weeks to tell us they were overbooked and only had one of the rooms we needed. Fortunately this was resolved satisfactorily as they had had a cancellation that day so were able to provide the rooms we needed. When we looked at the booking log with the hotel, the email address being used was completely wrong and nothing like the address provided by us. Although the property is lovely, it is of an age where noise travels and we were woken at around midnight by a group returning from an evening out who continued their gathering in the lounge and were still going strong at 2 a.m. We did get up at that point and speak with them as it was preventing us sleeping, even with earplugs in. This is obviously not the fault of the hotel but maybe some prominent signage to remind guests that after midnight to keep the noise down to a minimum, especially as some of the bedrooms are in close proximity to the lounge.

Staff were very helpful and friendly. Property is extremely pleasant, well furnished and maintained, and of an age and style as you would expect for that area of Cheltenham.

Pleasant stay at The Abbey.

Our room was at the front of the house and was a bit noisy at pub closing time (we stayed Fri and Sat.) Not the proprietors fault at all, obviously, but I'd ask for a room at the back next time.

An issue with the noisy guest in the room next door was addressed and resolved quickly, efficiently, and with a smile! Excellent service, thank you. Also, the breakfasts were lovely!

Really friendly staff, excellent Breakfast. Budget Rm had no en-suite but I knew this before booking
    • Budget Single Room with external Bathroom

Room was small with no en-suite, but the bathroom was two steps away from room and was your own. This was the 'budget' room and was made clear before I booked

The Breakfast was amazing. Staff very friendly.

A wonderful stay, comfortable bed, great breakfast and friendly staff
    • Budget Single Room with external Bathroom

Some sugar free muesli as i am diabetic

Beautifully freshly cooked breakfast, warm anf friendly staff, also provided an honesty bar which is very rare in this day. Street was also fairly quiet allowing a good nights sleep

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Stay here for a lovely weekend

Breakfast is absolutely fantastic and staff are brilliant ,super place to stay and totally recommend this to anyone staying in or near Cheltenham.

Great stay.

The parking was a bit of an issue. It was street parking within a couple of blocks area. The B & B provided a parking pass for the street which their property was on but if there were no spots then you had to park further away. We were lucky to get a spot on their street so we just walked to wherever we wanted to go.

Very good breakfast and very friendly server serving the breakfast. It was usually hot in the room but the owner brought a fan into our room to circulate the air.

The property was very well located for the main high street...

The property was very well located for the main high street and shops. A permit is provided to park in the street outside or nearby. There was a choice of breakfast and was well cooked. The service at breakfast was excellent. The room was comfortable and had a nice view of the back garden. There is a small bar area where you can help yourself to drinks and pay on departure. We would stay there again.

highly recommended

Shower cubicle on the small side but this doesn`t detract from the overall standard.

Great location, lovely room with a very comfortable bed and delicious breakfast.

Would stay here again

Very nice owners. The lady serving breakfast is also very nice. Very well located. Just 2 minutes walk from city centre. Very nice pubs nearby. Other restaurantes too. Very easy parking on the street. On arrival the B&B owners give you a free parking permit. Our room (12) was beautiful. Good breakfast with cereal, fruit, Danish pastries, jams and toast and English breakfast (vegetarian option too).

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

Great location. Very comfortable stay.
    • Superior Single Room

Breakfast was lovely, Full Breakfast the first morning and perfect poached eggs the second. Very helpful owners. Bed was very comfortable. Shower room very clean.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

A fantastic B&B in a great location!
    • Budget Single Room with external Bathroom

Everything was excellent! Great location and the staff were fantastic making my stay extra comfortable offering me information on where to eat and maps of the centre if required. Each room includes everything you could require and more! They even upgraded my room free of charge! The breakfast was fantastic with a buffet style continental and additional breakfast cooked to order. The rooms are so beautiful and feel so homely. Each bed has a blanket and is decorated with cushions.The room had a decent sized television,a beautiful view of the garden, free WiFi and a huge selection of teas and coffees as well as chocolate biscuits!It is a shame I was only in the area for 1 night as I didn't want to leave, will definitely stay again in the future.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

The hosts were extremely helpful and hospitable.
    • Superior Single Room

Can't see how it can be improved. Everything excellent.

The hosts were extremely helpful and hospitable. Bed very comfortable and room very well furnished and attractive. Location excellent for all town facilities, especially the theatre and restaurants.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Comfortable, straightforward and overpriced.
    • Superior Single Room

I booked a room with a double bed and the room had two singles. The owner was very frosty and his customer service skills were poor. He didn't seem grateful for the business or keen to have me staying at his hotel.

Size of bedroom. Availability of honesty bar if needed. Choice at breakfast.

Great stay and great value

We had a little trouble parking on the first night as there is no off street parking that belongs to the property. So as we arrived quote late, we had to look for a parking space in the neighboring area, but the property provided us with the parking permit so it was great that we didn't have to pay.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Abbey. The property is conveniently located near beautiful parks and gardens, city center and it is very easy to get to local bars and restaurants or go for a drive in the countryside. The property is really nice and clean and we loved our morning breakfast - it was delicious. The ladies at the breakfast made us feel like at home - they are the gem of the Abbey.

Welcoming and friendly. Excellent standard of service and facilities.

Comfortable, spacious room. Spotlessly clean with good attention to detail, nothing missing. Excellent service. Good breakfast with plenty of choice and all freshly cooked to order. Nothing too much trouble.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Lovely warm and inviting accommodation
    • Budget Single Room with external Bathroom

Bed was slightly uncomfortable. Also slightly pricey for a single room without ensuite, although thankfully nobody else seemed to be sharing the bathroom at the time of my stay. I was very nervous about the self-locking door and needing to take the key every time I used the bathroom, especially without 24 hour staff on hand in case of a lockout.

Absolutely lovely, helpful staff. Lovely breakfast, great location and loved the honesty bar!

If we come back to the Cotswolds area we'll definitely look to stay at the Abbey again!

Wifi wasn't very effective - slow and cut in and out.

The staff were lovely, the room was very comfortable with a lovely view of the cherry blossom tree blooming outside. It was such a great place to spend a few days away from the big city to recharge.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Pleasant.
    • Budget Single Room with external Bathroom

I had some noisy neighbours in the room next to me who couldn't stop talk at 1:30-2:30 in the morning!

Everything really. A really excellent full english breakfast. The lady looking after the hotel was really friendly. Ideally situated, very close to the centre of Cheltenham. A comfortable, friendly hotel.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Excellent Hotel ideally situated, a short walk for everything in Central Cheltenham

The squirrels in the garden overlooked by the breakfast room - could have given a wave!!

Everything, bedrooms spotless, bed oh!so comfy. Breakfast - choices both with cold and hot menu. Staff - well, they are simply lovely.There is so much to like about this small, cosy, up to date hotel.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Good basic accommodation in an excellent location

This is the opposite of a modern hotel, Its an old, quirky guesthouse with no real reception area (although there is an honesty bar which is a lovely touch). The bedroom was pretty basic and the bathroom tiny. Walls were thin, so noisy neighbors made for a disturbed nights sleep on one of the nights. However, at a time of the year when accommodation is hard to come by, all these could be overlooked to be right in the centre of the town.

The location was fantastic for Race Week, Sophie the landlady was so helpful and gave us detailed maps so we could walk to the race track (30 mins) or the shuttle bus was only 5 mins away. We got a warm welcome, and the breakfast each day was quite good. There are so many restaurants and bars around that it does not matter that there is no restaurant in the Abbey.

Central Location

The shower was very small - I'm 5 ft 3" and I struggled to move without banging my elbows so a big man would really struggle. There were no hooks/soap dishes in the shower so I had to keep bending down to pick up shower gel and shampoo in a very tight space. There was a high pitched noise from the water when the people in the next room ran their shower. The whole place just looked a bit tired and for the same price as the Premier Inn I felt that would probably have been a better option on this occasion. No pastries left by the time we got down to breakfast at 9.15am with breakfast on until 10am I would have expected some left. I felt it was quite expensive for what it was.

Bed was comfortable. Good central location. Nice cooked breakfast - generous and well cooked.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Amazing

Literally nothing!!! I've stayed in many hotels and this by FAR surpassed them all.

Staff were amazing and room was perfect. Courtesy class of bubbly with breakfast as we went during cheltenham races

Browse The Abbey traveller photo gallery