2. UK hotel reviews

Reviews of The Abercorn

The Abercorn Hotel 101 Warwick, Daventry, NN11 4AJ, United Kingdom

#12 of 13 hotels in Daventry

6.1

Read more– opens a dialog box

• Reviewed: January 11, 2019

The location for work was great
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

My window faced next door restaurants kitchen, so I couldn’t sleep until they were closed. I couldn’t open the curtains too, as they kept going past my window and their kitchen light was so bright that it would lit up my room through the curtains. Unfortunately my room was right next to the entrance door, which is a fire door. So when people came in & out I was woken up by them. Especially since someone loved constantly leaving & coming back in at 5am. I won’t stay there again.. I went home a day early, so I could have some sleep.

The location for work was great

Stayed in January 2019

• Reviewed: January 7, 2019

Wish I could get my money back
    • Standard Single Room

It was very noisy, I could hear visitors walking up and down the whole night. The mattress was the spring type which made for a very uncomfortable sleep. No complimentary toiletries

Stayed in January 2019

• Reviewed: December 8, 2018

Clean, warm & cosy room with all basic facilities but no...
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

The bed was very uncomfortable, it felt I was sleeping on the base of the bed and the spring mattress is flat.

Clean, warm & cosy room with all basic facilities but no tv.

• Reviewed: November 29, 2018

Good rooms if you just want to use the place as a dormitory

Reception area a bit ropey Entering and leaving via the rear - with little lighting in the dark

Fit for purpose for what I was doing - room was nicely done out - but I just used it as somewhere to put my head down for the night

• Reviewed: November 16, 2018

Good for the money good location friendly staff clean

Green emergency light is annoying, more than one cup would be nice better access i.e. not the dark ally.

Good for the money good location friendly staff clean

• Reviewed: November 8, 2018

Dreadful

everything this is not a hotel but more of a bail hostel!!! it smelt dirty nothing was provided apart from tea and coffee there are no staff there just a caretaker not even a tv in the room. I could go on and on but its not worth the effort I just want to forget the whole thing

NOTHING

• Reviewed: November 6, 2018

A lovely weekend, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Abercorn, is an ideal place for location, local shops bars and restaurants all within a 5 minutes walk, our room was clean and bright ,tea and coffee available and a small fridge,the ensuite was small but clean, towels and shower gel and soap provided, although there's no TV or breakfast , which was not a problem to us, we noticed that there were plates , bowls, and cutlery should you wish to have a snack and a communal kitchen to use, there is also free WI-FI and off road parking , we had a very restful weekend , Thank you.

• Reviewed: September 28, 2018

I booked this with free cancellation but didn’t realise they...
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

There’s not a clear sign of the hotel name outside and I had to just hope I had the right place until I went to the door and saw the sign. I would suggest that you paint in big white letters on a dark background so that you can be sure you have the right place. There was a wet patch by the shower room I thought it might be just that you cleaned before I arrived but it was still there three days later. It didn’t smell or anything but maybe check it out if you didn’t clean to make sure it’s not a leek? The shower was a bit hot for me. I don’t know if you can turn the temperature on the boiler down a little? Lovely place otherwise. Oh, and I know you didn’t have a hair dryer but maybe a cheap on in the room? Oh and one last thing, do you need the green light when you turn off the main light? I would remove it from inside the room if you can.

I booked this with free cancellation but didn’t realise they had set check in times. I called to see if I could check in later and if not I was happy to cancel and book somewhere else. They said it wasn’t a problem. I turned up at the hotel and called the number and Horis came to let me in and give me my keys. A very friendly nice chap. He told me about the parking round back. I was quietly surprised. The place was white and clean and close to my conference hotel. The room looked exactly like it did in the pictures. Cheap, clean, nice budget hotel exactly what I needed. Oh and there was a fridge in the room which really helped because I’m on SlimFast and I could put my shakes in there. There was a heater that Horis had put on for me before I arrived, which I appreciated. You can open your windows to get some fresh air. There was tea and coffee making facilities and lots of plugs to use for my various devices.

• Reviewed: September 22, 2018

Bed was comfy.

Car park access road needs tarmacing.There were some spiders in my bedroom.

Bed was comfy.Room was nicely furnished.Overall clean.Good location. Very helpful staff. Good nights sleep.

• Reviewed: September 17, 2018

I say it met my expectations simply because they were low due to previous reviews.
    • Standard Single Room

The room in which I was staying in backed onto the door leading to the restaurant kitchen. As a result, for privacy, I had to have the curtain shut even in daylight. I suggest some blinds might be useful. I found the entrance to the property dangerous (down a small alleyway between the restaurant and house next door). This entrance is unacceptable and if it does have to be the only access point, a light would be a good idea. It is dangerous, especially for someone on their own. I was told that the front door remained shut because there was nobody to man the reception. I understand this for check in but there are plenty of hotels who do not have a reception 24/7 and who provide keys to the front door. I chose to stay at The Abercorn due to the low cost but I certainly would not recommend it to anybody else.

The room was clean and the bed comfy.

• Reviewed: September 12, 2018

Cheap

Felt like I was in a cellar. Shower controls were cheap and felt like they would break, no bed side table or lamp. Light was a good 3 metres away. Lighting was very dull. No TV.

Clean room. Car parking.

• Reviewed: September 7, 2018

satisfied

next time would request not to have the room right next to the kitchen of the restaurant next door

good value, no frills but what was expected and met expectations perfectly

• Reviewed: August 24, 2018

Good inside

I was scared to go out after dark as You have to go through the back to a dark car park or down a tiny alley past the kitchens and side wall of the Indian restaurant (also owned by the Hotel I think). Steps outside not even and don't have hand rails. The external floor not good for people unsteady on their feet. Has no sign outside to say it is the Abercorn hotel and scruffy pieces of paper saying ring a mobile number on the windows.

Inside is being refurbished it will be lovely when finished. The room was spotless. Bed linen and towels very clean. No dust, kettle and small bin for tea bags and nothing else. Clean crockery and cutlery. A noisy fridge that I had to turn off over night, but at least it worked. Some people complain of the green escape light but I didn't mind. I also used the shaving light over the sink, not the big bathroom light as a night light so the extractor fan wasn't noisy. The double bed was comfortable. It's a good room once inside. To make it a great room: a TV, a bedside table and lamp. To make it a great hotel: full outside lighting, disabled access, and smarten the front up with front entrance access, which I think they intend to do.

• Reviewed: August 6, 2018

The place is undergoing refurbishment by stages, the room I...
    • Standard Single Room

A small ally divides the property from an Indian restaurant so was a bit noisy.

The place is undergoing refurbishment by stages, the room I was allocated was very new ,nice clean and fresh.

• Reviewed: August 3, 2018

Not as expected

Room was next to Indian restaurant, not a problem with that, but it was filthy outside the window. Daren't open it. I gave a time of arrival but couldn't get in as there is no one there. a caretaker arrived about 20-30 minutes after me calling management company to see what was going on. The place looks half refurbished then left. You have to go in through the back door. As with previous reviews no bins in the room. I believe there was a communal kitchen? but wasn't brave enough to go looking for it!

Clean room. Kettle, cups and plates provided.

• Reviewed: August 3, 2018

staff were pleasant

no TV in the room. woken by restaurant staff shouting outside the rear of the restaurant. woken again by a rat trying to gnaw through the skirting

staff were pleasant

• Reviewed: July 29, 2018

Noisy,bed must be 20 years old,no tea or coffee in room...
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Noisy,bed must be 20 years old,no tea or coffee in room,extra charge for bed linen and towels,bedroom window opposite to Indian restaurant kitchen door,I would not recommend or stay at this “hotel “

• Reviewed: July 19, 2018

Hotel was like building site. Was it legally open? Substantial refund required pleae.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

I did not see the caretaker or anyone most of time, Sometimes no-one else in building. Nothing was provided apart from toilet paper and towels; e.g. no soap, milk, teabags etc. No breakfasts. Room never entered to service or clean in 6 days. Noise from adjacwnt Tandoori restaurant kitchen disturbed till often well after midnight and other unmentionables caused disturbance outside window untill small hours.

Initial greeting by caretaker was helpful. Room was OK and reasonably clean but not provisioned.

• Reviewed: July 16, 2018

Basic but spotless room, would stay again.

Room was spotless, if a bit basic. Coffee making facilities... Kettle, cups, fridge etc but no coffee/tea! A tv would be a good addition too. Bed was very comfy. Free carparking at back of hotel. Would use again.

• Reviewed: July 14, 2018

Potentially good if above points are addressed.

We met the proprietor (?) on arrival but we were not able to contact him later when needed. Bright green emergency light overhead made sleep impossible. Smells and noise from next door restaurant.

Bed comfortable and room ok, though only one towel and one mug. Had to leave after one night for reasons below.

• Reviewed: July 4, 2018

Not a very great stay

Very hard to locate The car park was pull of pot holes It was very noisy no tea/coffee were provided No toiletries for example shower gel or hand soap No bin in the room No tv

• Reviewed: July 3, 2018

With a few little improvements it could be very nice.

No bin in the room & only one cup which didn't really matter as there was no tea or coffee to have a hot drink. No soap or shower gel. There is a little green light in the ceiling which comes on when the main light is off. Not great when you want to sleep.

The caretaker was helpful and friendly. Easy access to the town centre. Room clean & fresh , cool in this heat we've had. Plenty of towels.

• Reviewed: July 2, 2018

Was clean & will be nice when finished

Wasn’t finished, only 1 set of cutlery, no tea or coffee & no bin in the room. Staff from restaurant next door talking outside window until late into night & then from early morning. Green light from emergency lighting lit up room.

Was clean & will be nice when finished

• Reviewed: June 5, 2018

Room was ok but so disappointed to find no soap , teabags etc.

1/ old noisy fridge beside the bed. 2/ no soap or shampoo in sink/shower. 3/ almost no toilet roll. 4/ no complimentary coffee or teabags. 5/ my bedroom window was about 1m from the back door to neighbouring restaurant, the door was open and I was unable to sleep until after 12:30 at night when the banging of pots and washing up etc stopped. 6/ had to phone up in the morning to find out how to check out. 7/ pillows were very poor, thin and not supportive.

Room was clean.

• Reviewed: May 29, 2018

Disappointed and unsatisfied.
    • Standard Single Room

Broken mirror and sink, no tea coffee etc had to purchase own and only 1 cup. No use of shower.Flooeing unsafe. Hassle to check in and out.

Friendly staff

• Reviewed: May 23, 2018

Sleep deprivation
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

I did not stay for the two night I could only endure one night of the tourcher you call a hotel. Firstly I was kept awake by your nabours kitchens going about the business banging pots etc. Secondly I had to endure the green light tourcher. When I turned off the main light (white light) the green warning light came on to illustrate that the battery backup was indeed working, this light was over my head when laying in bed and was so strong I could read my book by it. Third I made the misfortune to need the toilet in the night and turned the bathroom light on. As normal the extracted fan came on but did not turn off when the light went out because there is an over run setting on the extract fan which in normal hotels runes for 5-10 minuets BUT NOT in your hotel the over run was for 2 hours. I knew this because I could read my watch by the green light which was also keeping me awake. So yes I will be giving your hotel a review to prevent anyone else from have to endure the sleep deprivation of your hotel.

The room was clean but the rest of the hotel was not

• Reviewed: April 29, 2018

It was pleasant
    • Standard Single Room

Tea and coffee in the room and hand gel and shower gel

The caretaker was helpful and friendly. He bought me tea and coffee however I did expect there to already be some along with hand wash and shower gel. But overall it was pleasant

• Reviewed: April 17, 2018

It was horrible!!!
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

This is not a hotel at all. There are some rooms in the property under construction! I really have doubts that the property has any license to work as a hotel or guest house. The contact tel from booking reservation was not answering when I arrived. It was not possible to enter in to the “hotel” as there was no bell, no indicators, nothing to come in. The bad was terrible and the linen very old. I spend 2 nights in the hotel and really wanted to leave it just after arriving, but everything was fully booked in the days I stayed in.

• Reviewed: April 15, 2018

Nothing really.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Bit of a shambles really - Bed was awful - must’ve been about 20 years old, could feel every spring, no carpet in the corridor to the room. Had to fill in a form with name, address, date of birth, driving license number - extremely concerned with their compliance with Data Protection, potential identify theft. I decided to cancel the card I payed with as a result as was concerned when got 2 e mails asking to update card details and to provide c2v number over the phone. Also activated fraud alerts on all credit reference agencies. Why does a hotel need date of birth and driving license number? Was cheap but will be sticking with well known brands in the future like travelodge and willing to pay a bit extra for piece of mind.

Nothing really. Carpet in the room seemed newish, bathroom was small but newish and clean.

• Reviewed: January 8, 2019

I would go there again when I stay in Daventry
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Difficulty getting the shower hot enough.

Facilities, especially fridge, were excellent, and the bed was super comfy. Staff were great.

• Reviewed: December 28, 2018

Excellent value for money.
    • Standard Single Room

That mattress was a little uncomfortable (springs), as were the pillows.

Very good value for money. Nice and clean, and a fridge was provided.

• Reviewed: December 3, 2018

The kitchen facilities, car parking

The mattress

The kitchen facilities, car parking

• Reviewed: November 19, 2018

good!

bedside lamp would have been nice.

Clean +comfortable. En suite immaculate as with bed linen.

• Reviewed: October 15, 2018

Did the job. Wouldn’t stay again.

Building shabby more like a hostel. A small obscure glass window could not see outside at all.

Clean and shower worked

• Reviewed: September 15, 2018

Just the job
    • Standard Single Room

No TV and quite noisy as near a take away

Close to place of work clean and comfortable for the purpose.

• Reviewed: September 13, 2018

Bearable

Most things

Very Basic

• Reviewed: September 12, 2018

Disappointed

No tv in room. No breakfast on offer. Room was dirty and everything was grubby everywhere

• Reviewed: August 12, 2018

Excellent value for money
    • Standard Single Room

It was all ok. Just the mattress could have been a bit better. Not too uncomfortable

Very clean. Excellent location. Nice staff.

• Reviewed: June 11, 2018

Simple and straightforward
    • Standard Single Room

There was no soap or coffee/tea bags

Simple and straightforward

• Reviewed: May 17, 2018

Don’t go there if you intend on sleeping

Everything, light in room won’t turn off, workers building at 06:00 in next from, bed extremely uncomfortable... and still no refund!!

• Reviewed: May 13, 2018

It only cost £40 so what can you expect?

The green emergencey night light could not be extinguished and made staying asleep an issue.

It was at a budget price

• Reviewed: April 28, 2018

Bad and not value for money

No tv. Not clean.

• Reviewed: April 26, 2018

The staff were friendly and helpful.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The food and service in the restaurant was excellent.

There are also 18 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

We Price Match