Reviews of The Angus Hotel 3 stars

Wellmeadow, Blairgowrie, PH10 6NQ, United Kingdom

#13 of 14 hotels in Blairgowrie

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Perfectly located for this lovely little town.

Everything was quite acceptable but if I’m being really picky, the bathroom was a little dated and tired. Also we had breakfast quite late and some of the buffet stock wasn’t refreshed. E.g. no glasses for fruit juice. I had to ask twice to get some. But otherwise breakfast was abundant and tasty.

Location is key, and this hotel is situated right at the heart of this very pretty little town. A deceptively large hotel and whilst the rooms are quite small, they are perfectly comfortable. Having a pool, sauna and jacuzzi was a real bonus! Plenty of lovely bars and restaurants very nearby. And best of all, you’ve got to do the walk up to Cargill’s Leap. Just beautiful!

Basic but with some small positives

One staff member at reception is incredibly rude and doesn’t know how to respond to customers who have a complaint. There was exceptionally loud music at a “line dancing” event at the weekend which meant no sleep until the small hours of the morning. No warning about this and no thought put into guests who were actually looking to sleep. Some dirty glasses in the bar area too.

A basic hotel with quite good breakfast which thankfully had vegetarian options! Good pool and sauna facilities.

Good overall, just bar service to work on.

Only ordered a starter & dessert for dinner in the bar but it took an hour and three quarters - and two reminders for each course.

Reception staff excellent. Skipped breakfast as it started too late for me.

Overpriced and incredibly rude manager, would never stay here again

The manager was the rudest woman I have ever met in the customer service industry. The hotel made multiple errors with my bill (attempting to charge me for the room twice and charging my room with a bar bill that was not mine). She talked down to me, was incredibly rude, and did not once apologise for the errors or the inconvenience.

Nothing really stands out for anything that I particularly liked about this hotel. The location is good in the centre of Blairgowrie.

Was good apart from not knowing what was on that day

When we booked we didnt realise there was an event going on in front of hotel my youngest dog was petified we only had him a week and took him his first holiday but fireworks loud music we couldn't really go out

We like the location of hotel next to everything. Clean and comfortable and cater for our little dogs

Very poor

Room was to small as the bathroom this room 17 should not be a double far to small no room in bathroom either light not working above sink plugs no chains on having to use teaspoon to get plugs out bath and wash hand basin .

Breakfast and meal on Saturday night

Warm relaxing and comfortable with good riverside walks.

The parking at the rear of the hotel should be laidout better to permit more parking spaces. At the moment it is random, therefore I parked on an empty lot close by.

The first room I was given was very noisy, but when I asked to change the reception staff were extremely helpful and I moved to a much quieter room.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Perfect situation right in the center of town, excellent...
    • Double or Twin Room

Old building with difficult orientation and unexpected steps everywhere, better suited for fit people...

Perfect situation right in the center of town, excellent food in the restaurant!

Served a purpose for me but slightly disappointing

Some of the breakfast looked like it had been reheated from day before. Shower rail in room was dangerous being at forehead height. Leisure pool changing rooms in much need of repair. Rooms noisy as awoken at 6am on a Sunday by room above moving around on creaking floorboards and banging doors/cupboards ( i suspect a coach party leaving early)

Location in the centre of the town ideal with Car parking right outside.

Not the best.

The staff were largely non—English speaking. It was a large building without proper signage. Instructions were very vague. The receptionists were very impersonal. I wasn't asked if I enjoyed my stay. I wasn't asked if everything was alright. Not the friendliest but a place to rest your head.

The jacuzzi.

It was not quite what we expected. We wouldn’t hurry back
    • Double or Twin Room

The hotel was very noisy. Another guest came into our room. The breakfast wasn’t very good and although we had to wait to be seated, we had to go and find someone to seat us.

The area was good

Won’t stay here again
    • Double or Twin Room

Food was well below standard, attitude from staff was terrible when we arrived in the dinning room at 8.20, Desert was on the table and someone put rubbish on the table when we had nipped out. Most of the bar/ resturant staff unfriendly to the point of ignorance.

Leisure facility’s

Great breakfast, nice helpful staff, clean room, leisure...

The only downsides were a screechy sliding bathroom door (oil needed) and the mattress was long past its best for comfort.

Great breakfast, nice helpful staff, clean room, leisure facilities, good location, good value.

Spa and pool facility was very good for a hotel of that...

Trouble with booking.com. Reception had received no confirmation of booking and kind of said it was my problem to sort out. Not helpful. Called Booking.com and they thought they had solved it but hotel still couldnt get details and I had to give my card details again for payment. Making me obviously uncomfortable. Not a satisfactory process at all and they need to get it sorted out with bookig.com. Never had a problem before and have been a user for >5 years all around the globe.....

Spa and pool facility was very good for a hotel of that standard. Good breakfast. Ample parking

The staff was wonderful and the food/service was great.
    • Family Room

Room location meant I had to take an elevator and then carry my luggage down a flight of stairs. Also, no WiFi aces from my room. When I inquired about it, they mentioned I was the furthest room away. Had to sit in the floor landings or go down to the lobby to get access. Also bathroom facilities were old and antiquated. Some room have been redone. Also some confusion as to whether my breakfast was included. One day it was and the next it wasn’t. They blamed Booking.com as those in our party who used Expedia had theirs included.

The staff was wonderful and the food/service was great.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Great potential but needs a good shake up as could be a lot better.
    • Double or Twin Room

The organisation of it. We had to go up in a slow lift then back down a flight of stairs to our room that just looked onto a grey roof, suppose they can't do anything about that but my partner struggles with stairs. The staff did their job without any enthusiasm whatsoever and breakfast was uninspiring.

This hotel is in a great location and looked very promising when we arrived. I imagine the pool would have been good but we didn't use it ourselves.

we booked an evening meal at 7-30 in the restaurant with...
    • Double or Twin Room

the hotel was the central point for bus tours around Perthshire. We got the impression that other guests in the hotel were of secondary importance.

we booked an evening meal at 7-30 in the restaurant with family in the area. However when we booked we were not told that food was not available after 8-30, so no desserts.

Avoid!
    • Family Room

Tried to give us a double room when we had booked 2 separate beds. Refused to serve us dinner at 8:50 after they had told us the kitchen closed at 9. Rubbish shower.

Location, bar is cosy

Booked for 1 night. Hotel was ideal for what we wanted. Food was amazing. Very comfortable bed.
    • Double or Twin Room

Complete chaos when ordering our meal. Some staff need more training in customer service. Very warm and muggy as no air conditioning. One male member of staff appeared to wander round the bar area with plates of food... Didn't appear to have the common sense to ask any customers without food if it was there order... He done the same vacant wandering at breakfast...

Friendly staff Excellent food Extremely comfortable bed Friendly atmosphere

Excellent experience with friendly staff

Nothing - I was only there for two nights and out during the day so did not experience anything that I didn't like.

Very welcoming with all the staff very helpful

Felt it was average for the price i paid for room only
    • Double or Twin Room

Above comments says it all

Did not eat in the hotel. The food and the drink was pricey compared to eating/drinks places in the area. I was surprised that room service was late afternoon before it was done.

Pleasant and good value, if a tad noisy.

Unfortunately my room was in a noisy part of the hotel and I had to endure some awful folk singing wafting in, and at 4.30 in the morning was awoken by what sounded like window cleaners outside my window. Stay at The Angus but not in room 114

Good value and a location at the centre of a small town in a lovely area. I received a nice welcome from the receptionist. Very good buffet breakfast, and the bar meal was good value.

The location is excellent and Blairgowrie is a busy wee town.

The location is excellent and Blairgowrie is a busy wee town. The countryside is beautiful. The room was very comfortable and it is a bonus having a bath. There was plenty of hot water. The shower wasn’t too great as it was difficult to regulate the temperature.

Good location but a little dated

The hotel is a little dated. The bed wasn't the best and as such I chose not the stay the second night.

The hotel has a lovely pool and great staff. It is easy to locate and close to supermarkets and restuarants.

Pleasant room but noisy

Extremely loud entertainment for tourists could be heard across all rooms. Upper floor creaky. Room looked out onto kitchen extractor so noisy. Window wouldn’t open far so very hot as weather was exceptionally good.

Pleasant room but noisy

Blairgowrie is an ideal base for touring

Very good breakfast and location good. Very good price on the date I stayed. Plenty hot water and clean linens. Slight problems for disabled as the hotel was formed from old buildings at different levels so although there is a small lift it still requires steps to room levels.

For a two night stay it was ideal and perfectly located.

Bathroom

The hotel staff were very welcoming and helpful. The room itself was clean and the bed very comfy. The bathroom although clean was needing redone as tile grout was mouldy and marks on the bath. The shower wasn’t up to much either. Blairgowrie itself is lovely and has some great walks.

Pleasant but frustrating.

The hotel is located next to a rather loud hotel - I had to be asked to move and was re-located to a room about 30 metres down from the previous room (this was the best room and the staff really did try their best) however it was still very noisy (the noise ended just before midnight). In addition to this the hotel was sitting at around 30 degrees which may it very hard to sleep - this was due to being located above the swimming pool (once again the staff tried their best, supplying fans, but it was out of their control.

The staff were amazing, really helped to the best of their abilities - the area is rather pleasant.

Agnus hotel Blairgowrie

No CCTV on parkings, situated in town, bar personnel at night can be more experienced, disco party audible in hotel rooms, ambience temp high.

Friendly lobby and breakfast personnel

Not a restful stay.

The bar was very stuffy (I arrived on a hot sunny summer evening) with dark, dated furnituremail. The bedroom was also unbearably hot, so I went to a restaurant 5 minutes walk away for evening meal and fresh air. Also couldn't sleep due to the Saturday night music and revelry that went on up to 3.00am

The room itself was fine - a reasonable size for a single room, withe a decent sized desk/dresser.

Rude staff.

Rude staff. The pool looks NOTHING like the pictures. It’s cold dark dingy and old! Had to leave in the very early hours of the morning because of the noise and getting no sleep! Have emailed a complaint but yet to hear a reply

Staff very rude and unhelpful at check in .

Staff very rude and unhelpful at check in .. room was tiny .. shower was terrible a mere trickle of water that you had to hold the shower head.. at breakfast I was sat in an entrance corridor rather than the restaurant where there were plenty of empty tables

Bed was very
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was so noisy from both the outside traffic and the room above us. The ceiling creaked so bad you could her every movement from above and the vacuum cleaner at 7:30/8 in the morning cleaning upstairs made it impossible to sleep. Also the restaurant was fair it was disappointing to be charged almost twice the price for my mussels main course when it was exactly the same size as the starter portion.

Bed was very Comfortable and the hotel in a great location

Not as dog friendly as I thought.

The room was small, and it was quite a cramped space for 2 adults and a medium sized dog. They said they are dog friendly, but did call during dinner to inform us of a complaint that the dog was whining/ barking and we should return to the room. This action made us feel quite unwelcome and ruined our stay, as we were scared to leave the dog in case he was noisy. This didn't feel very dog friendly or understanding, and it did impact our stay. There is quite a bit of noise from the street outside and you can hear the noise of other guests turning on switches and their TVs. This may have been the reason for the dog whining.

The room was clean, tidy, and had the facilities expected. It was a little small, but altogether ok. The restaurant was good. The hotel is in a pretty convenient location, with great parking.

The Angus is central and provides good value for money.

The bathtub was rather worn and its slip mat badly needed replacing.

I liked that I was allocated a room in a quiet location, as I had requested and the freshly cooked breakfast the next morning. The Angus is also near several good pubs and restaurants. One of my favourites; The Sampan, Indian restaurant is just across the street from it. It is also convenient for walks by the river Ericht.

great value for money with the bonus of a pool sauna and...

the only complaint and it is hardly a complaint was its so warm in the hotel and even with my radiators off it was hot in my room at night . as I said , hardly a complaint .

great value for money with the bonus of a pool sauna and Jacuzzi which sure eased those muscles after a day skiing . Breakfast is gorgeous and plentiful .

Good weekend, bit chaotic

System could be more organised like breakfast (no person at entrance), billing unclear (food and bar bill). Lacking in managerial coordination and direction.

Location. Staff friendly. Good food and reasonable prices.

Great spa to relax in after skiing and winter walks.
    • Double or Twin Room

Do consider changing the decor from brown to something bright next time you decorate. There could be a cosier and more comfortable small lounge area for guests. Evening meal not great.

Excellent spa and breakfast. Comfortable room.

the stay was ok but it wasnt what we expected and to advertise things that they cant deliver.
    • Double or Twin Room

The rooms are dated, i booked there to use the spa treatments and it wasnt open, the breakfast was terrible on the Sunday, they had a event on the Saturday and we had to pay the same as someone coming off the street because we got the room slightly cheaper with booking online. We requested a room near the pool if possible and got a room on the third floor.

The location, and the young gentleman working behind the bar was a pleasure to deal with

We are saving up to come back. Brilliant.

We got the flat across the road since there was a wee mix up with the booking. The Staff were fantastic couldn't do enough for us. Very friendly. Made us feel so welcomed. We loved the flat. In fact we loved everything about the Hotel. My husband really enjoyed the breakfast he ate everything lol. On Monday morning he saidBern i wish i was bk in the hotel. Lol. We would definitely recommend it to other friends. ( We have already). The entertainment was great never laughed so much in ages at eveyone enjoying themselves. This us what a great weekend is all about. X

Excellent location and great hotel with friendly staff and services.
    • Double or Twin Room

The shower head was old and you couldnt position it to keep water going on the floor. Outdated and small.The room was big and cold as the radiator couldnt warm it but a heater was brought up and was good. Parking was terrible if you went out at nightime and came back, but you did tell me different places to park if we needed to.so that was ok. One day housekeeping didnt come but this was resolved with when I asked for something we really needed. Not good for disabled or adults with mobility problems, even with a lift,stairs were needed to get to bedrooms.

The location was excellent and our view was lovely of the Wellmeadow. The room was nice and had space. Great breakfast buffet and very friendly staff.Had an evening meal and it was good and entertainment was provided for that night. Would stay again.

• Double or Twin Room

I enjoy using the spa but there seems to be children allowed in the jacuzzi which is very annoying when you’re teying to relax . Fair enough in the swimming pool but the jacuzzi is supppsed to be an area for adults to chill. Putting a sign up may help this

I love the bar area.

Breakfast is AMAZING!
    • Double or Twin Room

condition of leisure club. Need really good upgrade!! stinky changing room, No hair dryer in room I think there should be a toilet brush in each room.

Breakfast is AMAZING!!! Location - city centre

Hotel was busy - guests were on a production line to sign in and for breakfast.

No parking was available at this hotel The room was noisy with old creaky floors and outside noise in spite of the double-glazing

Central location in Blairgowrie. The TV in the room worked well.

Go eleswhere

Staff not very friendly , breakfast was ok my fried eggs were hard and staff in morning very grumpy! The lesuire facilites, were very poor, needs upgrading, there is no one checking pool or spa as children were running a mock and going in jacuzzi and spa , so no relaxation!

It wss clean, bedrooms were clean

Central location, and much bigger than it looks from the square.

The sound insulation between rooms didn't seem to be that great, although I think I only had people above me.

Lovely to have a bath in the en suite. Great buffet breakfast with attentive staff.

Disappointed couldn't attend show only reason we went
    • Double or Twin Room

Poor communication from staff - residents had to book show separate- couldn't book on day as full - apparently shows book up really fast as open to non residents

Leisure facilities and location

I would not recommend and will not stay here again

Hotel is looking tired and not worth the cost to stay. Our room overlooked another pub which was really noisy! Pillows were so old there was nothing left to support them. Cooked breakfast in the morning was awful. I

Very friendly checkin and check out and all the staff were friendly.

Welcoming friendly staff, good breakfast and location

Lack of / poor heating in room 114 No extra duvet or blankets in the room Rear car park was like an ice rink

Welcoming friendly staff, good breakfast and location

Good relaxing quiet and pleasant stay.

No complaints on anything regarding the hotel.

I like the location, friendly staff, breakfast (good variety and taste). The room was very clean and tidy and the bed very comfortable, good night sleep.

looks good but looks can be deceiving

no one on recepition most of the time. coffee was terrible. the hotel was almost empty but was not offered a better room closer to the person i was traveling with. the room was miles away from recepition and the complete opposite side of the hotel from my friend. the pillows were dirty/stained, the tiles in the bathroom were bosed, the water ran cold for about 10 minutes before i had any hot water. room was drafty.breakfast was being served late because there were few people staying in the hotel, never mind if we needed to be away early. no one to check us out until 8.30am. staff hadn't arrived. chef was late so breakfast was after 8am. night porter was freindly but that was all. the rest of the staff seemed to be board to be there, i think.

it was in the centre of town

Convenient overnight stay.
    • Double or Twin Room

Convenient overnight stay. New en-suite bathroom was a bonus. Staff all very willing to assist. Lucky to to get the last parking space and that was arriving at 2.15pm.

Disappointed
    • Double or Twin Room

Room cold ,window left open Only one light bulb working Bed not zipped up properly Bathroom very shabby no lock on bathroom door Partners food awful No bar table service

Nice

Bar was closed while when we arrived although we did get 1 drink and took it too bed. Breakfast was served cold , better when buffet. Room in front very noisy early morning.

The rooms were clean.

Convenient for our reasons to be in Blairgowrie.

No hot water or heating and no apology from hotel staff when we queried it - we were just informed the biomass system had broken down. Jacuzzi wasn't clean.

Location is good. Swimming pool was lovely. Sauna good. Rooms very clean.

Excellent location. Great value for money. Ideal for our staff conference.

The rooms were clean and comfortable and very good value. Ensuite facilities were modern and efficient. The hotel location was central for those travelling from all parts of Scotland and the conference room was perfect for our needs.

Top class hotel and facilities, friendly staff, good food and a very good price .

Continue they way you go, no faults from me

The breakfast was absolutely fantastic, as much variety as could be expected. A great effort thank you, and I get to do it again this coming weekend. I had no hesitation in booking again as I left.

A bit dissapointing thank goodness for the swimming pool.

I have been to the Angus Hotel a few times and it is really tired looking could do with a refurbishment, furniture tired looking wallpaper coming of the walls, I was there with my friend and her four year old grandaughter thought the hotel catered for children but apart from the swimming not much else for the kids to do. Wedding reception on and the noise from the disco horrific understand that hotels cater for this but could have told us when booking or given us quieter rooms if possible , this is more a hotel catering for adults as they gave a tribute night on most weekends which will be noisy. No complaints about the staff all very nice.

Loved the leisure club swimming pool lovely.Beds were comfy. A smashing breakfast loads to choose from it was lovely. The staff were very nice especially the young chap behind the bar he was so pleasant and looked as if he really enjoyed his job went out of his way to get the wee one hot dogs which she loved.

Poor

Dirty tile grout, stained bath,toilet seat wasn't fixed properly,poor breakfast overcooked scrambled egg everything else warm at a push,stewed tea.smell of chlorine from the pool overwhelming in corridor needs ventilation wouldn't stay again

Not much,staff friendly

Would class this as a cheap and cheerful hotel but it isn't actually that cheap. Probably paying for
    • Family Room

our 14 year old daughter had to sleep rolled up like a hampster all night in a bunk bad fit for a 10 year old. She was most uncomfortable and quite grumpy in the morning due to this. The door lock was broken; my husband had to fix the locking system with a skrew driver. The hotel is dated and has quite an unpleasant smell - not evident in the room though. I feel it was a bit overpriced for what we got.

Booked a family room and the main bed was fantastic - huge and comfortable. The room was very clean; could not be faulted. Staff were nice. Breakfast was tinned orange/grapefruit/prunes, cereal, cooked breakfast with tinned mushrooms - ok.

Overall we enjoyed our visit and will have no hesitation in returning.

We arrived on a Saturday and were unable to find a space in the car park. Staff suggested using the nearby Co-op car park which we did for two days before a space became available. Also, due to a special event being held in the hotel on Saturday night there was a long delay in serving our evening meal.

Location of hotel provided us with ideal base for local walks and easy day visit to nearby Alyth. Hotel clean and comfortable. Buffet breakfast was great and evening meal menu offered a wide choice.

Breakfast the best

The bed , November the 5 is coming that's were it's won't to go ,on the top

Your breakfast is first class the eggs were cooked to perfection, room 4 please replace the bed terrible, the whole room needs a face lift. We love your hotel , stayed with you for years as you can tel on your pc

Handy place if you want a very central location in the town. Staff were helpful.

It was a long, confusing hike to our room.

The reception staff were helpful and friendly. The hotel is located right on the main square in Blairgowrie.

Clean and comfortable but must do more to make shower facility better
    • Double or Twin Room

Shower very poor. The shower head holder was not suitable. The head fell against the wall. And water ran down the wall. You had to soap yourself and then lift shower head of bath floor to hose yourself down. However there was plenty of hot water. The bathroom smelt very musty

Last minute and Last time

£1.95 for a can of coke. What I think was management rather loud and sounding cheeky to staff while public sitting close to them. The noise of the river running at night Could be doing with triple glazing on the side of building next to river . Shower was so poor a watering can would have been more powerful . When checking out not even a question about how our stay was . I think they are more interested in coach tours.

Bar staff very pleasant Wide range of drinks Good choice of food

Generally all okbut nothing outstanding.
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was a buffet style cooked breakfast, not what you expect for £100 pounds a night. Spa/pool area was closed and thos was not mentioned when booking.

Generally all okbut nothing outstanding. Double room but was twins zipped together so not comfy in the middle. Bathroom was not particularly nice.

Great location and great value

Mattresses need turning or replacing in Room 115.

Located in the middle of town, the Angus offers great value for money. The rooms were small, but very comfortable. Evening meal was good value and enjoyable. Breakfast was excellent. Parking available right outside the hotel.

It was ok for a 1 night stay if we had stayed any longer would have asked to be moved room

More staff needed Also hotel could do with a refurbishment. Bathroom had damp smell. Also tv only worked on some stations. Also no black pudding with breakfast

Bed was comfy

Great relaxing break
    • Double or Twin Room

The room I was in room 9 although at a stairway was very quiet , the bed was excellent and the room extremely spacious. The shower was obviously new and was great. The food was very good and the staff especially the younger members were very professional and not at all obtrusive . Well done.

A solid asset in this location butnot entirely attractive
    • Double or Twin Room

Access to room required use of steps ( as well as lift) and very heavy fire doors in narrow corridors Opinion in the town is that their attraction of big coach tours is at odds with individuals' experience

Central location with parking Good breakfast arrangements

The hotel was in a good touring base location, and suited my needs.

The location of my room was looking out across the pool next to a pub - unfortunately both nights I was disturbed by the noise of arguments amongst users who come out into the street. (Not the hotel at fault here) For breakfast I would of liked to have had an option of fresh fruit and pastries.

Lola- staff member - a delightful lively welcoming and extremely helpful person. All of the staff were polite and happy in their work. I liked the location of hotel and enjoyed the use of the pool while there. The room was clean and a comfortable bed.

very dissapointed, and outragiously expensive at £121 for one night.Frankly I won't return
    • Double or Twin Room

The whole hotel is very run down, badly needs refurbishment. The bedroom door locks are antiquated. To the effect that my wife opened the locked door to our room even though I had locked the door & checked it

The breakfast was good, even though you had to queue because of a coach party staying overnight.

The swimming pool was nice and refreshing, and the enclosed...
    • Double or Twin Room

There was a band playing until 01:00 am which was very loud in the room, but the hotel failed to advise us that this would be the case, otherwise we'd have gone somewhere else! Then, at 07:00 am on Sunday there was a workman outside carrying out (again noisy!) repairs waking us up. So, we didn't exactly get a proper restful sleep.

The swimming pool was nice and refreshing, and the enclosed terrace area at the back was nice to sit and have a beer.

Holidy
    • Double or Twin Room

The pool could have been better ,, it looks good on the website but it is dirty round the edges and there was dirt/sand in the hot tub

Room was lovely clean and had everything needed breakfast Was good ( although milk was sour,, but quickly rectified ) location is really good , but the pool lets the hotel down ,, looks like it needs a good clean ,, staff were helpful

We were happy overall, nice staff and excellent breakfast. Hope billing sorts itself out.

Confusion over the bill which has yet to come through my account. We intended to pay separately as my husband and I were with a friend. Not sure how this came about. If there is any problem I will contact hotel directly.

Decor better than expected. We booked late and it was difficult finding somewhere. Some reviews were not complimentary so we were surprised. The hotel was better than we expected.