Reviews of The Anvil Inn 4 stars

Salisbury Road, Pimperne,, Blandford Forum, DT11 8UQ, United Kingdom

#5 of 6 hotels in Blandford Forum

The stairs could have been easier.

The stairs were narrow and twisty and had low headroom, first class room and bathroom and thankfully not modern in appearance, staff were attentive without being intrusive, breakfast was brilliant with a good choice and freshly cooked and the scrambled egg was probably the best I have tasted. The garden was a quiet haven for the evening drink before going to bed. A very relaxing stay.

The room deviding walls were quite thin, so noise from neighbouring rooms was evident.

Friendly staff, room was clean, lots of character. Modern bathroom. Good breakfast.

Availability of a second key for shred room when needed.

Clean pleasant and comfortable. Food very good. staff helpful when we needed to book in early.

My only gripe is the ceiling height in the room I stayed in. If your of average height great. If your over 5’8” like me (6’4”) you will struggle.

Clean and very welcoming

WiFi rubbish, good 4g signal through Couldnt turn down temp of towel rail

Nice room All staff very friendly and helpful Tasty, freshly cooked meals Good shower Comfortable bed Bedside lights Hairdryer & bottle of water in room...not everyone drinks coffee!

Listening to The Backstreet Boys during breakfast.

Great room & facilities - quiet away from the cosy pub. Nice menu and friendly staff. Excellent taste in music on the evening bar shift: Bob Dylan & Miles Davis. A really good pint of Guinness, overall a lovely pub and great place to stay overnight.

Only two plug sockets in room 3, side by side and one was for the TV and the other had to be alternated between kettle, table lamp and laptop. Several others had been blanked off? Rather inconvenient considering the amount of gadgets/chargers most people have.

Nice quiet and relaxing rural location after a long busy day. Rooms are very nice and have plenty of space, considering it is an old building with plenty of character, which usually means small and cramped. Warm and cosy in the dining area, and good selection of food, which was well cooked and presented.

Really friendly staff and the owner. Staff very accomodating from the minute we arrived. Food was really good value for money. Breakfast all home produce,fresh and hot. Room spotless.

I do like a small bar of soap!

Newly refurbished room was extremely comfortable with all facilities. I slept really well. Was there for a family get together. Enjoyed the Dorset cider and delicious freshly made pizza on my first night. Staff so helpful too.

It's hard to criticise especially at the price. I might say it would be nice to have a later departure time than 10.30 if a person was chilling but it's really nit picking.

The staff waited up to meet me at 11pm and were friendly and welcoming. The room was amazing, small but so snug under the eves of the Inn. Just a great place to be. I usually stay at Premier Inns and on occasion have wanted to trade mansion house accommodation for modern simplicity but the Anvil Inn most places I've ever stayed regardless of price and the value Wass great. Breakfast was included and I had smoked salmon on scrambled eggs and muffins. The eggs were prepared to perfection, creamy and tasty rather than the dry scramble you can get and the amount of salmon was totally unexpected. Great value for money.

was in attic room I am only 5.5 and as too low in parts for me. so if your taller ask to be not put in attic room lol

staff were really nice the place was very clean the food was top notch. was leaving to early for breakfast and without asking they made up a butty box for me to take with me

My lasagne was dry and did not taste freshly made (it looked scooped from a main dish and heated through) which was disappointing but I was hungry and I did eat most of it.

Wonderful staff and yet another warm welcome. We tried some fabulous Gin and Tonics from the wide range available and had dinner in the bar. My husband had a delicious meal and the breakfast was good, scrambled egg and smoked salmon and yet again the staff were amazing. Our room was lovely overlooking the front and amazing weeping willow! The bed was mega comfortable and the bathroom perfect. The smellies are lovely and the towels and linen really lovely. The style of the room suited us perfectly and we were impressed that there were biscuits to have with your early morning tea which was a lovely touch. This is a really good pub/hotel and I would highly recommend to anyone looking for somewhere with a consistently high standard of customer service and a great atmosphere.

The mattress is probably due an update

The staff were brilliant, nothing was too much bother. The work done since we stayed in 2004 has improved the property. Rooms are comfortable and the bar area is very welcoming

My room tucked under the thatched eaves had bags of charm but not much space. My daughter, 6ft 2in, would not have been able to stand up anywhere in the room - and the bath (no shower) was too small for me to fancy using it.

Had trouble connecting to the wifi in the room, this just gave me an excuse to spend more time in the bar.

The staff in this hotel/pub are among the best and most welcoming people I have met on travels for business. They are truly welcoming and made this a wonderful stay

I struggle to find anything negative about this place.

The overall ambiance was welcoming and the accommodation was clean. Everything was to hand, we even had a game of darts in the bar. Really enjoyed our stay and if we are in the area again we would definitely visit again.

The inn is very old and therefore the stairs to access the bedrooms are steep and you have to mind your head with low ceilings in places, worth knowing when visiting with the very old or very young.

Comfortable room and bed, good shower. Dinner was good, friendly service.

The bed, which for two tall people was very small - more of a large single. I also never managed to get wifi connection, but I didn't ask for help from the staff who may have been able to solve the problem.

Fabulous, friendly staff - nothing was too much trouble and they did their very best to accommodate my less than ordinary dietary needs. Everything was very clean and our bedroom was well appointed.

Bed & Breakfast was expensive, but it was only about 2 miles from the "GREAT DORSET STEAM FAIR", so if I had owned the property I expect I would have charged the same!

Everything else.

Can't think of anything!

Very friendly staff, beautiful setting, lovely thatched property. The room was clean, bright and comfortable. Delicious breakfast and proper coffee! Would definitely recommend The Anvil Inn and would definitely stay there again.

Nothing to complain about.

My room was comfortable. Nothing had been overlooked. Bed was comfortable. Breakfast was excellent.Staff very friendly. Would recommend it.

Friendly atmosphere, welcoming staff, clean well designed bedroom, good food and reasonable tariffs as a consequence we asked to stay an extra night. We would come again.

Overpriced for room size, quality of the shower, staff attitude/training level. Encountered member of staff who didn't listen to requests at breakfast time and told me I was rude when I asked for water, which was needed for medication. No water on buffet and breakfast buffet meagre with nothing sugar free and no natural yoghurt. Food was overcooked both at evening meal and breakfast. Could have resoled my shoes with the tough kipper. Tables were sticky. Could not decide whether staff were laid back or couldn't care less. I paid £98.40 and it was not worth more than £65 even in summer season. Nobody around at checkout time.

The bed was comfortable and the towels plentiful.

Walls were a bit thin between the shower room and next door.

Shower room was well appointed. Bed was confortable. Breakfast was freshly prepared though the buffet table ran out of juice.

The breakfast finished at 9.30 which seems way too early on a sunday

Really friendly helpful staff and the rooms were a really high standard. Would definitely recommend

Too noisy at the main bar - room seems to amplify voices. Plenty of room in the pub to move elsewhere for a peaceful, quiet meal.

Location chosen as close (ish) to Bovington Camp for Tankfest. Fabulous choice. Excellent food, gorgeous room and very accommodating, allowing us to move our breakfasts to earlier so we could enjoy more of the event we had travelled up for. Really gorgeous relaxing pub and rooms lovely too.

I can't think of anything. Regarding location - just a shame it's not nearer a station or more accessible public transport.

The staff were very friendly - everyone is an individual. Nothing is too much trouble. They booked taxis for me before I arrived as I needed to get from A to B. Lovely gardens. Great atmosphere. Very comfortable room and very clean.

We ate in both nights which and all enjoyed very good food. Only slight down was that we were unimpressed with the Caesar salad which was served with mayonnaise - some special Chef variation but this seemed most odd as it was called a Caesar salad! As various other reviews have also mentioned this, I would suggest getting the Caesar dressing in and keeping your customers happy!

Excellent Manager who was completely amazing and worked so hard throughout our stay. Fabulous sense of humour, sorted out any queries, made a wonderful cocktail for me when Pimms had run out and ran the Anvil with huge enthusiasm and pride but also very professionally! I'm surprised you haven't been headhunted! A huge well done from us all. The bedroom was seriously comfortable and we had a great nights sleep both nights despite hot weather and there was lovely pictures, furnishing, bedspreads, cushions and a perfect ensuite. I would recommend the Anvil as a great fun place to stay as a group of friends or for a meal! Oh and the breakfast was delicious! Parking was easy just outside too!

Breakfast was very good with well cooked poached and scrambled eggs as well as good quality sausages and bacon. Staff gave the impression that they wanted us to enjoy the stay. Very helpful

I don't have any downsides

the staff were so friendly and welcoming on our arrival, we had Sunday lunch it was all home cooked and was lovely, Room was clean, comfortable and very inviting. bed was so comfy and although it is a pub we were not disturbed at all by any noise. breakfast was home cooked to order and filling. thoroughly enjoyed our stay, would highly recommend

Bed was terrible, could not sleep, informed owner! But nothing done, would not stay there again, a bit pricey for the size of room, too small,

Staff quite friendly,

You can hear the room next door clearly from the bathrooms.

The pub had a nice ambience. The staff were more than helpful and welcoming. Food was great and reasonably priced. Centrally placed so no longer than 30-40 minutes to get to Bournemouth or Lulworth cove.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

Nothing negative to record - this is a fabulous venue

Location was central and fully accessible. Staff very friendly and professional. Room was very spacious and comfortable , lovely shower and bathroom with quality toiletries and luxury towels !!! Breakfast first class - the kippers were amazing !!

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

The Best B&B we have ever stayed in. A lovely welcome, taken to our rooms which were outstanding. Clean beautifully decorated, comfy beds, lovely bedding towels and toiletries all supplied. Tea, coffee hot chocolate and fruit teas in the room. We had an evening meal which was very good. Breakfast served from 8 but we needed to leave by 8.30 so the owner very kindly offered to serve breakfast at 7.45. The breakfast was fantastic. I would totally recommended this B&B.

Bed uncomfortable had two sets of towels on Friday It when room was cleaned on sat they only left us one st could not turn heated towel rail of so bathroom was very uncomfortable n hot and breakfast on Sunday was by as nice as saturday

Room was lovely n staff very nice

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

If I was to be picky I thought the tariff was a little high considering I was the only one saying on 2 of the 3 nights. I also would like to see the menu being more appealing dishes. But that is not to say what I had was excellent.

I have stayed at the Anvil a few years ago and must say that the refurb is excellent, down stirs and the actual room. The staff were great and welcoming with a can do attitude. The meals served were a good standard and reasonably priced for the area. The breakfast was very good and the staff were able to facilitate me with earlier breakfast from those advertised.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

Room noisy above kitchen! Menu bit fussy for us. Special Sunday roast No Pork lunchtime or evening!

Nice room. Friendly staff. Good location outside of Blandford.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

Very disappointing! Requested 5 ft bed, acknowledged on arrival but given small, cramped room. Told all rooms 4'6" beds, no bigger room available, yet several rooms were still available after my booking. Also only 2 tables set up for breakfast!! Heated towel rail not fixed at top. Toilet roll holder missing. No chair in room. Shown 'Reading room' which was a cold, noisy, food smelling passageway next to restaurant. Breakfast on 3 mornings - No dried fruits any day, no fresh fruit 1 day, no pastries 2 days. Cereals in unlabeled containers. Dinner on 1 night was enough! 'Special Fish' with crunchy Tartare sauce was dry, breaded plaice fingers with bland sauce. Chicken salad was better - both meals over priced! Cheese board taken off dessert menu as no cheese! Have emailed The Anvil and filled in Anvil's own review on room but after 2 weeks, no one has bothered to reply! Verdict - Have stayed in far better Inns, for far less than £120 per night! Sadly our stay at The Anvil Inn was not the relaxed, winter break we needed.

Outside looked like photo! Plenty of tea etc in room - shame no sealed bottles of water! Cooked breakfasts good. Top marks to the evening waitress who persuaded chef to produce a limited cheeseboard!

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

We felt the bars could have had some comfy chairs, even for dining to make the areas a little more cosy. The TV reception wasn't great and the TV's too small!

The staff were extremely welcoming and friendly. The food was lovely. We liked the decor in both bedrooms and had a very comfortable and enjoyable stay.

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

Evening staff were ok but not brilliant. Did not know when breakfast was and did not tell about free Wi-Fi - I just happened to notice a sign. Towel rail was hanging off the wall. Shower door handle fell off.

Bedroom was small but pleasant and interesting. Good sized breakfast and selection. Good morning service Comfy bed. Quiet room.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

No hairdryer. Considering I had in my room an ironing board spare bed cot and s fan. The one thing most girls want is a hairdryer

Fabulous Comfortable friendly and food was amazing. Breakfast excellent.

No staff to be found when checking out.

Comfy room and a good breakfast.

Steep stairs

Staff excellent and food good

Cramped.

Charming.

We loved everything, huge breakfasts, the Inn itself, the staff were fantastic, beds comfy,

Very comfortable and clean

No phone signal and Internet very flaky. Not good for me as I needed to work

Bedroom on small side - but fine. Partition walls a bit thin so could hear everything happening in next door bathroom

Very friendly - good food

Lovely location. Lovely Old World feel about the place with original features. Very friendly staff. Food was excellent.

No dinner available at 9.10pm, sandwiches and chips were appreciated but not a very good meal after a long days work and drive.

Cold, room tiny.

The breakfast wasn't brilliant.

Staff were great.

All fine

A very good breakfast

Nothing !

Very friendly staff.

Bed slightly uncomfortable for us.

Staff very helpful and friendly, lovely room, very clean, good food

Nothing to complain about

Comfortable beds, good food and very convenient for our visit.

Bed too soft

Friendly staff

Excellent food, plenty of choices for breakfast , can't wait to return

Being woken up at 5:00 am by noisy kitchen delivery.

The reception from the staff.

There wasn't anything to dislike

Staff and value for money

Staff excellent, food excellent, beer excellent. Room small but perfectly adequate and in keeping with the character of the inn.

The marked car park spaces are too narrow for modern cars, but there was plenty of room anyway.

Friendly and Olde World. Great dinner and breakfast.

Some traffic noise from local road, can't do much about that!

Comfy bed. Food

A warm, friendly Inn providing exactly what it says in its brochure.

We were locked out of all but an unlit common area until the boss arrived just before 8am

The bar and breakfast area had lots of atmosphere

bit noisy during evening

Beautiful room, very clean. Lovely shower with big fluffy towels. Friendly staff

Good food and beer, though evening menu slightly limited. Rooms very comfortable and shaowers of good quality.

Shower didn't work

Noise in eating area from rowdy pub people on Saturday night

We enjoyed our stay Comfortable bed excellent food in the inn did not eat locally

Cute thatched former Blacksmiths forge, the Inn is very comfortable, serves a choice of hearty breakfasts and the staff super friendly and efficient

Low eaves - but that comes with the thatched roof.

Pretty and classical

price of meals

beds

Staff, food, breakfast, room and price

the bed was comfortable but too small

Good breakfast

Very warm welcome very comfortable accommodation extra comfy bed lovely quite and beautiful location the staff were amazing

The service and all the staff were very friendly and very helpful!