Reviews of The Atherstone Red Lion Hotel 3 stars

Long Street, Atherstone, CV9 1BB, United Kingdom

#6 of 6 hotels in Atherstone

Noise in the evening came from one assumes to be hotel staff below the rooms packing up for the night.

Good looking hotel with nicely appointed rooms. Great breakfast and friendly staff. Lovely town.

Our room (115) on the first floor was directly above The Long Room which had a disco on the Saturday evening the music was very loud. We were planning an early night as we were going to NEC for Gardeners World Live on the Sunday when it got to 10.45pm I had no choice but to approach the hotel staff I spoke to Becky and thankfully there was a vacant room and we were moved and able to get a decent nights sleep. I think the hotel need to bear this in mind when taking bookings

Our room was very nice looked to have been recently decorated bathroom was very good. We ate in the hotel and found the evening menu very good with a nice selection of meals which were well presented we also had breakfast which was also very good

It was very warm but a fan was provided already without asking

Perfect location, lovely rooms, small but lovely and a perfect size for what we needed to be honest

bedroom far too small for 2 adults and 2 dogs - it was horrendously tiny - room was clean enough - bathroom tiny too - the shower was ok - it was actually quite spacious

The room had a window you couldn't open and part of a pane of glass was was broken/missing. The times for breakfast should be longer.

The food was good. Staff very helpful

Unfortunately on my second nights stay. There was a function on, consequently there were no parking spaces and I had to find parking in a place I did not know and then struggle with my things back to the hotel and do the same on checkout, making 4 trips to the car and back. My room was located right above the function room and the noise was invasive to say the least. The music continued until midnight. When I attempted to contact reception to inquire how long it would go on for, there was no reply, obviously busy with the function. Based on this nights stay I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. I also had a meal, that did not live up to its price.

My first nights stay was lovely, quiet peaceful, and relaxing. There was a parking space and the whole experience was excellent. Based on this night I would have recommended this hotel to all my friends.

Parking was a bit tight, as it invariably is with old, in-town hotels.

Excellent buffet and service, lovely location in the library, friendly attentive staff, good room for the bargain price!

Only minor gripe was that the TV remote in the room was not for the TV in the room so I had to change the channel on the side (nothing major)

The room was comfortable and great value for an overnight wedding stay at a nearby location.

It was so hot even with the window open but as it was broken it would only open about 5 inches. If you like clean clean then you wouldn't like this. Lots of dust, splash marks, hairs etc

Location is great and for the price was ok

Carpet on the stairs was filthy. We had to go outside on the street to get to the room. Rooms could do with redecorating and make use of the oldness of the building.

Staff were very friendly. The location is great right in the centre of an old town. Great that the was parking.

There was nothing to dislike

The room was spacious, comfortable and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was spacious, clean and very smart. Left too early for breakfast, so can't comment.

Hotel guests standing outside smoking and chatting until 2am right under my window. This stopped me from sleeping.

The room had an iron and ironing board and the shower was of a good size

Room was very small and noisy at times. The blinds didn't block out the light so hard to sleep

Bed was comfy, clean and the staff at restaurant were very welcoming and friendly

The staff were excellent. We asked to change to a larger room and this was agreed with no bother. The food was very good and the service in the restaurant and bar was friendly and professional.

The rooms are not big ..in fact they are quite small , the bed in our room had not been put together correctly and as such I ended up with a fractured toe after stubbing my foot on the base of the bed , which had been covered by a valance. If this were not distressful enough I was visiting the area to attend my Mother's funeral and as such was unable to wear appropriate footwear for the occasion. We did report this to reception an were assured it would be sorted before our return , however it wasn't and as such we had to report it again. Bathroom was adequate although the shelf was in need of fixing ..things just fell off , shower was not great either.

Location is great very central, parking is free which is a bonus, and the hotel is not expensive. We did not eat at the hotel so can't comment on the food. The staff were friendly .

This place is perfect however terrible night sleep as there was a room above us and could here ever movement and kids running about making it even louder, woken up by upstairs at 7 o'clock with a few hours sleep shattered not prepared for the day at all. Rooms are really nice bathroom let's them down. Beds make a awful noise when you go to lay on them there so loud.

Staff are amazing so lovely, girl behind reception was just amazing with us when we arrive, very friendly, area is lovely and rooms where nice

The photos of the bedrooms looked great on the web page but the room we stayed in was in a different location to the hotel only a few doors down but definitely not nice, funny smell and badly stained carpets,no mirror in main room, definitely needs a lot of attention

Chair in room was very wobbly. There appeared to be an unplesant stain on carpet

Excellent staff. Good position, a lot of rooms, got lost :) Breakfast was good. Room very well designed. Quiet.

The room wasn’t cleaned when we got there. Toilet dirty. Old bedding. Etc. We had to leave the room while it was being cleaned. When we came back a shard of glass on the floor that could of sliced my foot open if my partner didn’t see it as I was walking around barefoot.

The price

Parking

Stayed here many times now, very dog friendly and very friendly and helpful staff. Excellent value for money. Tried the afternoon tea with bucks fizz on this occasion, only £9.95, more than you can eat!

The rooms were very clean and comfortable, but a little small if you like lots of space. Not a problem for us though.

The staff were so helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. The room was very clean and beds were comfortable. The location was great for us, we were going to a wedding at a local venue - perfect place for us all to stay!

Noise from pub adjoined to annexe. Bed dirty. Toilet small and dirty. Dirty room. Coffee cup dirty. Disgusting annexe which should be condemned. Broken window. Delivery outside our window at 145am.

Staff seemed nice enough.

If we had stayed in the main hotel it may have been different - but we were assigned to the annex which I could only describe as a hostel !!!!!!! The room was rammy, there was a dirty half blind on the window - the room smelt. The bathroom was musty with a mechanical toilet that needed servicing as it ground away all night. The room was on the main street and Greggs the Bakers delivered at 3.00 am with noisy trolleys. I did ask to change the room but the one offered was equally as bad. Its such a shame as on the website it looks fabulous - but if we had been in the main hotel I'm sure it would have been nicer. The annex appeared to be a place for single women - who were all outside in their PJ's smoking! I deff would not stay again. Didn't try the food as the room was so awful I didn't want food poisoning as well. I am sorry to write this bad review as the staff were very nice - but that was it! It was however convenient for the NEC where we were going.

The hotel has an annex building, rooms are not decorated to a good standard. lots of noise from other rooms that appear to be rented out on a long term basis for live in residents.

Hotel main building is nicely decorated with a pleasant bar and dinning area. Rooms in the main hotel building are clean, quite and pleasant. Food is fresh and good quality.

Booked a twin room but was given a double when we arrived and was told there was no twin rooms available although we were given a complementary breakfast but unfortunately it was not great.

Good location and didn’t charge extra for our dog

Some of the hotel was a little dated - but a lovely theme running throughout.

A great hotel in the centre of Atherstone. Staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were on the small side but very clean. Great value for money!!

If I have to write about anything I didn't like it would be that the view wasn't that great from room.

The room was big, very clean, quite and warm we where there in March. Staff were helpful within walking distance to amenities.

I stayed in the annex just up the road from the main pub. The decor on the corridors and stair cases was shabby and the carpets badly stained - poor first impression! However, my room (although on the small side) was clean and tidy and decor was in good order - same for bathroom.

Decent pub grub - nothing fancy but good value and well cooked. Good cooked breakfast. Bedroom clean and tidy with comfy bed and decent shower.

I suffer from asthma and dust affects me quite bad . The lamp next to my side of the bed was covered in dust, which caused me to wake up needing my Inhaler. Alot of the room was dusty also.

I use this hotel on an infrequent but regular basis (2 -4 times a year over the last 5+ years. Interactions with staff, the quality of the food and the overall experience of this venue has always been highly positive. Centre of town venue and ease of access to the A5 (and wider road network) are also important benefits.

• Family Room

One of our rooms was occupied by someone else when my son arrived to check in and he had to wait until after 6.30 pm to get in his room but this room was on our original booking so should have been ready. We had 3 rooms and after we went out someone went into one of our rooms. They left the light on and stole my sons chargers. The staff member said no one could get in the room and they would look at the cctv on Monday but we left Saturday. No one was really concerned that we had reported a the theft. My son was not happy that someone had been in his room and now he has had to pay for a new charger for his phone. I think something needs doing and we need to be compensated for the theft and I would like someone to give me a call to discuss further and I would like to know what the cctv shows. Plus all night long all we heard was doors slamming

The bed was comfortable

Quite small bedroom but this was reflected in a very economical price.

Very friendly staff and really good value for money. Little town unexpectedly nice.

The bed a bit springy and when showering the bath filled up. Seem’s like the drain were blocked.

Clean and cosy with good facilities. The staff were lovely and friendly.

They were experiencing problems with the wifi which meant it wasn't available in my room, but I'm staying again soon and hope it will be rectified by then.

Lighter portions for some items on the menu, wish they would include a lighter portion curry.

IF They turned this hotel into a CARPARK! I would like it

It started out ok,reasonable room.found a parking space despite 2 huge vans blocking most of the car park.evening meal fine but expensive! then we were awoken at 12'30 by a drunk couple arguing loudly then making up loudly in the next room.Complained to the receptionist who tried to phone the manager who didn't pickup.No refund available!! so we stayed.Got to slee about 3,30am..The manager offered a free breakfast in the morning,But it was SLEEP we needed NOISEIEST Hotel I have ever stayed at.Rated minus 100%

We got woken very early by noisy guests, then reception phoned our room by mistake, then house keeping came and unlocked our door and walked in and woke us up again all this before 8:30, was hoping for a lay in as we didn't have to check out until 11am.

Great value for money, a nice comfortable place to stay.

We were accommodated in separate building. Room furniture shabby shower very poor and needs replacing. No telephone to contact reception in an emergency. Cleaning sub standard in the room.

Main hotel comfy and food good

Kept running out of food items and hot water for drinks at breakfast. Next door hotel rooms made my partner uncomfortable with people Smoking outside main door and hanging about leaving door ajar. Dog in room and barking early morning. One Bath towel in double Room, had to report it to reception twice and night duty manager sorted it. Day staff didn’t do Anything about it.

Room was nice, parking good.

Unfortunately we chose to have our evening meal in the restaurant. This proved to be a big mistake as the fish and chips were very poor. I would recommend eating elsewhere.

The room, although a little small, was very nice and comfortable and decorated to a high standard. The staff were superb.

Colleagues were in work vans (LWB Transits) and parking at the hotel was restricted - staff helped out with advice on a free local car park 1 minute away.

I had room 102 which was very nice and more spacious than other rooms. Colleagues said breakfast was very good. Staff very friendly and helpful. We didn't eat in the hotel but the food that we saw others have looked very good and the prices very reasonable. Would happily stay again - in fact I am doing so with different colleagues next month and again the month after!

Our stay was due to attending a wedding after returning from the wedding we were starving and no take aways were open in the area which was understandable as it was really late on the Sunday, but it stayed in our rooms that 24 hour room service was available with limited menu, when we asked the young lad at behind the bar, there was no food available not a bowl of chips or a sandwich, the lad was miserable and came across like we were putting him out ordering a drink and asking about food could just about get a sentence out of him, We ended up with 3 bags of crisps that cost £4 from behind the bar. Also room service banging on the door on the Monday morning when our checkout was 11am, communication between check out desk and cleaners would be helpful as we had a really long drive ahead but had been woken so early !

Almost all staff were amazing and friendly, the hotel was clean and well presented, lovely cosy feel to it.

corridor doors banging when let go by thoughtless guests in the night

although the room was quite small- it was enough for our needs and at the price id say it was just fine

The bathroom wasn't clean enough,the staff could have been nicer to be honest, but overall good place to stay for a night

Good location, parking, nice rooms

The whole room stank of smoke. Music playing from the bar until 10:30. Some hotel guests were staying on long term occupancy and had the TV on very loud until 2:30am. Poor shower. Dogs in the rooms.

Leaving for home.

Stayed with a work colleague who paid £22.50 for exact same room that I paid £60 for very noisy hotel and bed not very comfortable the bathroom could do with a refurbishment no kettle so no hot drink

Looked very nice in foyer

There was nothing I disliked, I thought it was excellent value for money.

The rooms were lovely, warm, clean, comfortable and well equiped. There was plenty of car parking space and the hotel was very conviently situated. We enjoyed the meals we had in the hotel and felt they were very good value for money.

The room was cozy,warm and clean and the staff very friendly. We only stayed one night as we travelled up for a wedding but we had lunch and breakfast which was delicious. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

The fact that I couldn't stay longer. Okay, maybe a bath rail for us older ones would be nice, but that's a suggestion rather than a complaint.

Everything. The room was clean, bed comfortable, staff friendly and helpful. Rates are excellent, location central. Hadn't stayed here before but I will most definitely do so again!

We came to stay for 4 nights, after my dads funeral we came back to the hotel and had refreshments here. We have stayed many times over the years and every visit nothing is too much trouble for the staff. The funeral Buffett was excellent more than enough food for everyone, they allowed us to use the library which was big enough for 30 people and we had the use of that room until midnight. The hotel is right in the Centre of Atherstine a great little market town. Cafes and pubs everywhere all very recently priced. I can’t rate the friendliness of this place high enough.

So dated, car park was actually so small it is dangerous to leave your car there. Staff were miserable, area isn’t nice. Very unplesant experience. Wouldn’t recommend, find an alternative.

It was clean

Bed was uncomfortable - mattress was lumpy. Very thin walls - had noisy neighbours carrying on and giggling until 1 am.

Small but very clean room. Food in the bar was good value (2 for £15 was well cooked and plentiful) and very tasty. Staff were very helpful.

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

My partner didn't like the fact the receptionist was coughing everywhere but service was fine.

Four poster bed was comfy. Clean room and bathroom apart from a cobweb. No tea and coffee making facilities in the room which was expected.

Shocking breakfast with poor effort. Filthy bed room, corridors, stairs and bathroom. You could write your name in the dust! Room was like a sauna when we arrived, Gavin negotiated the overly small car park and impossible parking spaces.

Cheap and cheerful(ish)

Cold room no heating on when we got in there had to turn it on ourselves in January!!! Very uncomfortable bed. Bathroom not very clean.

Dinner was nice

Clean bath bigger telly.

Great night with partner and staff but the room was not that clean the bathroom dirty and the general up keeping dirty and old furniture other than that great night

Very small room, fire alarm constantly going off and staff had no idea what to do took no register and checked no guests or told them what to do.

Bed was comfortable

The room initially allocated appeared to have a minor problem (nothing unpleasant!) in the en suite before I made use of it; the staff immediately relocated me and made a note for their maintenance man to attend the first room. My breakfast choice of porridge followed by scrambled egg was excellent. Staff also produced a bucket of water for boot cleaning; and a flask of boiling water to take away!

Our room was in a building separate from the main one shown on the photos and this building was a lot less modern and needed updating. No telephone in room. Took us a while to work out how the TV worked - could do with some sort of folder with useful room information and maybe a local area guide.

Great central location, comfortable bed, heater in room (which we could control ourselves), overall it was clean, had iron, ironing board and hairdryer. Quick check in and check out - hassle free. Lots of places to eat and drink nearby.

The food wasn’t very good we had a pizza covered in flour, dry potatoes and small crinckled up like they’d been in the bath too long pea’s. We ate at pubs local to Atherstone lion and for similar prices the food was much better.

The staff where friendly, it’s clean and great value for money with a nice central location with free parking.

The bed could have done with a new mattress. It was a little costly for the size of the room. There was a strange smell in the room

The location is great The staff were very friendly and accomodating The taxi service the Hotel use were very quick and efficient

I felt that the staff could have been a little more helpful when we went down to have breakfast.

Location is great for guests to stay at if you are a guest for a Mythe Barn Wedding. Really affordable and a lovely breakfast in the morning.

The buffet breakfast was poor with items empty well before the end of times of service . Items were restocked but at such a pace you couldnt really eat a cooked breakfast in one serving , this was the same for drinks

Hotels communal areas were well maintained and clean . Bedrooms although on the small side were clean warm and comfortable . Staff were polite and approachable

We went to breakfast at around 9am on Sunday, it was a little over due for replen. but was at least hot and plentiful.

the location is perfect for the town. The hotel was clean, tidy and well cared for. The staff were excellent and very helpful.

Staff wasn't really train to business. No bin inside the room and some rooms no good bed and carpets .

The location was good and strategic for anyone who wants to go work around coventry or Leicester

Property had a very vintage feel which was awesome and the staff with second to non excellent customer service and very personable, couldn’t have asked for better! Will definitely be staying here again!

Hotel had double booked our room and we was put in the old part of hotel, and we had to climb right to the top of building, which made it a bit difficult for my partner due to a bad leg,

Could have been Xmas tree and decorations in the function room we had for our family Xmas meal - no sign of Xmas in there unfortunately! Breakfast was a bit cool and eggs congealed.

Value for money!

The shower wasn’t the best, often coming through cold & wasn’t very powerful - but for the price I can’t comllain too much.

The staff were amazing & the price was excellent!

Having a room outside of the main hotel in a different building, ended up over another bar playing loud music till early hours

Whole atmosphere was great, food and service was good

• Family Room

The bedroom was extremely small for a family room. Definitely not big enough for a family with 2 small children. The bed was extremely uncomfortable. The bathroom was ridiculous. In order to use the toilet you either had to sit to the side or put your legs in the bath as there was that little room.

View into courtyard where all the smokers go. This could have been tidier but then it wasn't an issue as we had to stick our heads out of the window to see it.

Really friendly staff for a hotel in a town centre location. Ideally located for the NEC & a lot more character than a chain hotel. There was loud music from two parties on both nights but this ended at a suitable time. Food was great but would advise checking out some other local cafes for breakfast. Will stay there again, which is always a good recommendation.

Busy function suite included at this venue so music played till midnight then all quiet .

Good clean room had everything we required ideal for spending time at the NEC. Good food and staff who went out of their way to help you .

The mattress could do with renewing and parking was difficult when returning late.

Central location.. clean, well decorated, nice bathroom and felt safe for single lady.

Parking on site problematic. I went out in car and not able to park on return as majority of spaces reserved for wedding party!! with no consideration being given to residents

Stains on all of the carpets leading to the room. The lights wouldn’t work after we came back to the room late on Saturday night up until our checkout on Sunday. Shower cubicle and tray not very clean. Shaving lamp not working above mirror. Cleaning staff walked into room Saturday morning whilst I was in the shower and without even knocking. Most of the car park was reserved for a wedding on the Saturday so I couldn’t park and had to use another car park.

comfortable bed, good sized room and excellent sized bathroom. Heating good too.

Browse The Atherstone Red Lion Hotel traveller photo gallery