Reviews of The Bell Hotel 3 stars

The Quay, Sandwich, CT13 9EF, United Kingdom

#11 of 15 hotels in Sandwich

parking

the food was delicious and such good value ..the staff very friendly parking is a let down but i would not , not go there for that reason as youd be missing a treat; lovely hotel in a lovley place

The room was very hot although a fan was provided. Breakfast a little disappointing- the food took a long time to arrive and, when it did, it was quite greasy, not really hot enough and the bacon was very overcooked.

Evening meal was very good and well priced. Room comfortable, quiet and clean. Staff all friendly and polite.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with River View

Bath was almost too high to get into and certainly too high to get out of. had I wanted to. bathe However, I am only 5' 2" and in my eighties and there was a shower

My husband and I have stayed previously three times at least so I knew what to expect. Room 1 was lovely, but expensive. ,

• Queen Room

A fridge in the room would have been nice at this price point (circa £200 per night). Peeling paint in the bathroom, unexpected given the room price.

Beautiful room, stayed in one of the superior rooms listed as Queen on booking.com, which has one of the four poster beds in it (Room 31) Matress medium, but offered enough support, nice cotton linnens in all the rooms. Staff really friendly, and helpful. Good breakfast. Sandwich is a beautiful town and room had great views over river. Luigi italian restaurant next door awesome, even by London standards.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with River View

The bed was poor considering we paid for an upgrade. Disappointed that real butter was not served at breakfast and also the food wasn’t hot enough.

Location and lively.

Bedroom was disappointingly small and dark, no net curtains, so no privacy, with noise from through traffic and the 2 pubs and bar immediately below. No handrail in the shower and no shower mat.

Lovely breakfast, with a hard working and friendly team of staff in the restaurant.

the room was to hot there was a fan but it was useless, didn't sleep both nights we were there. also maybe a fridge in the room would be good as the bottled water was hot.

the staff were excellent. room was spotless.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with River View

Customer care and empathy with the customer was virtually none existent. There was always an excuse as to why it wasn’t their fault. Shrugging of shoulders was frequent from all levels of staff. There was no attempt made to “make us feel better”about the situation they had left myself, my daughter and my 90yesr old mother in. We were left feeling as if they were doing us a massive favour allowing us to stay with them rather than us being the paying customer whom they wanted to ensure had a fabulous stay. Also, whilst I appreciate we were told there was a wedding party staying there we were NOT advised that it would take over the WHOLE hotel for the majority of the weekend, including ALL communal areas and would go on until 2am on the Sunday morning.

Overnight receptionist on Saturday night was excellent- helpful and totally understanding of the situation we had been put in although there was very little she could do. Atleast she tried her very best!

Nothing it was all excellent!

We loved the location, and from the moment we arrived at reception, our first class stay was guaranteed by the warm welcome from Anita! We loved the excellent service, the first class food in the restaurant, everything was just perfect.

Staff in restaurant could be more attentive, had to wait long time for coffee and toast, whilst other people got theirs first even though they were seated after us

Room 29 was VERY hot. We even had a fan in the room. Not sure why it was so hot in there even though we had the window open as much as we could.

Staff extremely helpful, friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I have booked several times, maybe 5. I have always had a room at the furthest part of the building. A long walk up lots of stairs. I cant know why, as I have booked ahead sometimes and still have the same room 4th floor. This last booking on the 7th May 18 we had a room with no air con. The price is mostly well over £100 so not great value for me. Maybe if I had asked for a room with air con and not so far away from the ground, I would have been given one.

It is spacious and pleasant borders on luxurious but not so.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Shower head too close to the wall. However, not a major problem and there was bags of hot water.

Large, comfy, airy room. Great location. Excellent food and service in the restaurant.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff were very helpful with looking after my luggage. They let me change for the wedding I was attending and sent my bags to my room before I checked in as I was attending the wedding. Very helpful

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Bedrooms very cold, hot tap worked intermittently, chambermaids work us up early by congregating outside our room on a bench and talking loudly about their social life until we asked them to be quieter!

Great position, spacious, 24 hour check in, lovely breakfast, comfy beds, very clean, friendly staff, room service, pleasant bar.

First double room we had was small with small double bed. Hotel was super hot, with no way of cooling it down other than opening window (March visit). Moved rooms for second night, much better, but fumes from kitchen extractor/chimney from open window was bad. Food hit and miss. Fish dishes excellent on first night, terrible burger, burnt to a cinder, twice second night. Inedible.

Location, reception staff, clean.

• Double Room with River View

I requested a river view room with a bath and balcony for my Dads 70th birthday and was given disabled room with no bath and balcony for the same price. The Gentleman confirmed over the phone that the room had balcony and bath. There were no rooms to change to and I emailed the hotel complaining on Sunday and Wednesday and I still haven't had a reply.

Location and breakfast

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was well equipped and comfortable. It was right at the top of the property and had a pleasant view, but the stairs were quite demanding for me as I am awaiting a new hip!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The restaurant for the evening meal pre-booked a table for Sunday evening [yes it was Easter Sunday}The service was so slow 30 minutes for the drinks on the table 45 minutes for the starters then to top it off husband ordered a burger "sorry we have had a run on these so no longer available".Therefore I ate my main paid and went elsewhere for his."Disappointed is an understatement"

The lady at reception was very polite and accommodating even asking if we would like a cold flask of fresh milk instead of those carp little cartons in the room."Little things like this make you remember your visit"

Some elements of the dinner could have been better and unbelievably at breakfast hotel had run out of wholemeal bread and fruit juice, although staff did manage to source some juice before breakfast was over.

Had upgrade to wonderful suite. Very comfy bed, fabulous shower, friendly and helpful staff.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Our meal in the restaurant had to be returned as it was cold. Replacement meals were provided but the quality wasn't very good. Breakfast was very chaotic and basics such as orange juice , brown bread were not available. We were woken up in the mornings by the staff chatting and laughing which echoed up the stairs to our room.

Reception staff were very welcoming and helpful -offered a flask of fresh milk for our room.

Used the restaurant for Breakfast, the food was very good but the service was poor, waited over 20 minutes for the tea & coffee to come up and food even longer. It seemed that there were only two staff attending tables with too many guests for them to cope with. Fortunately we were not in a hurry

Staff were very helpful & friendly, great location with good facilities.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was dissapointing. Sausage was burnt, bacon was super dry and difficult to swallow. Plate itself was oily.

The atmosphere was nice and the staff were friendly and welcoming and understanding.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with River View

The bed was extremely hard and therefore not very comfortable .... Perhaps a decent mattress topper would remedy it?

Friendly pleasant staff, able to check in early as room was ready, super warm bathroom, lovely fluffy towels, fresh milk for making drink in room.

No parking, makes it difficult with luggage etc. The room was rather small, no mirror over dressing table, the mirror was placed above a unit which had the coffee/tea facility on top!!!! Difficult to use hair dryer and straighteners . Bathroom was not as clean as I would have liked it

Staff friendly. Nice reception area to sit and have coffee. Good atmosphere

I thought the receptionist was a little rude as when we returned Sat eve for our key, she was on the phone to another customer and we did have to stand there waiting for 10 minutes. When she got off the phone, she never apologised for keeping us waiting. Quite unprofessional.

Love the area - Sandwich is a beautiful village with lovely pubs and restaurants.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Our room was very cold, breeze through the sash window which banged repeatedly.

The bed was amazingly comfortable and clean. The breakfast was good. The bar and restaurant are beautiful ...

No mirror over dressing table, the mirror was above the cabinet which had the tea/coffee facilities. Very difficult to do hair etc. No long mirror either. Car parking not at hotel-would be difficult for some.

Bed very comfy. Breakfast was very good, staff very friendly. Nice atmosphere and very relaxing overall

Breakfast was average and although we did sit down in the last half hour of them serving, there was hardly any of the continental buffet or fruit juices left. I would expect this to still be well stocked up until the last minute of service. Cooked breakfast was also just alright, it wasn't overly big and have had much better elsewhere. We weren't offered refills of tea and coffee either.

Our initial room unfortunately still had the previous guests pants left on the floor, which to be fair were caught under the bottom of the curtains so could have been easily missed by the cleaning staff. We went to reception to notify them. Without even having to moan, the Manager immediately offered us the Bridal Suite which was available as way of an apology - fantastic, we couldn't have asked for more. Lady on reception was extremely friendly and helpful.

The Room was so hot and we were unable to turn off the radiater or open the window as it was screwed shut. We had to ask someone to turn the radiater off at gone 11pm but the heat still didnt escape the room as we couldnt open the window at all, therefore we had an awful nights sleep as we were way to hot all night. Such a shame.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was lovely.

I arrived just before 9 PM. The restaurant was full of people, but they said to me that kitchen was closed. After 5 hour trip, I had to went out in a cold night to looking for a dinner. Not really helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

None really. The only thing I would comment on was that you could smell what the kitchen had been cooking from most places in the reception rooms and stairways. Perhaps a few more extractor fans?

Comfortable rooms, good showers, plenty of towels. Pleasant place to have a drink in the bar area.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Only four parking spaces are available for the hotel. So it's "first come, first served!"

The extra large and clean bed & the location.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was too hot and the radiator remained on even when we turned it down to zero.

Lovely hotel in a beautiful setting. Only there for one night so didn't experience all the facilities.

Bit better lighting for us older ladies to make up maybe a magnifying mirror in room lol forgot mine

The loveliest staff who went out of their way to help. Lovely breakfast. New Year eve party was outstanding would recommend. The whole atmosphere of the place is friendly and welcoming. Lovely bed.

Rain on the second day. But that's beyond the hotels control!

We travelled to sandwich on the occasion of my wife's 60th birthday. Sandwich was her birthplace and as a little girl had often walked past the bell. When the staff found out her story, they made sure her day would be memorable. Nothing was too much trouble. Beyond first class!

Lack of convenient parking and no lifts to upper floors as I was travelling with elderly parents. The toilet seat in room 21 was broken and we told staff as my parents ‘fell’ off every time they used it due to their age and unsteadiness but nothing was done.

Very picturesque medieval and Tudor influence. Fascinating history of the Cinque port itself.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with River View

Radiator turned off and room cold when we arrived.

Room no 1 close to toilets with lots of coming and going in the evening. Would stay in a quieter room but otherwise ok. Lovely deep bath. Receptionist offered us fresh milk for proper cup of tea in the room. A nice touch

Soundproofing in the room ...could hear next room talking in the morning very clearly. Paint pealing on one area on bathroom wall, but certainly didn't spoil my stay.

Hotel design lovely, my room was very comfortable and had a bath, which was great. Perfect eggs Florentine for breakfast. Didn't want to leave!

The bedroom and bathroom were boiling hot (we visited in December) even with the window open all night so unfortunately we had a really bad nights sleep. Breakfast room so hot and stuffy it made us both feel ill.

Lovely hotel, very clean throughout and all furnished to a high standard with a really nice bar area. All staff very friendly and could not have been more helpful. Good breakfast with plenty of variety.

The room could have been cleaner. The blind at the window was stained with water which didn’t look very nice. The shower was clean but the shower doors had limescale around the bottom which made it look unclean. The bathroom bin was dirty on the outside and the handle on the bathroom door was dirty. Just a bit off putting for such a nice hotel

The hotel was beautiful and staff were very friendly and helpful. The bed was amazingly comfortable. We really enjoyed our stay here.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Nice comfy room (family room) with travel cot. Nothing was a problem, good breakfasts and the bar was nice for dinner. Good kids menu too. Nice Italian around the corner too.

Parking is OK not much at the front but plenty in a near by car park a very very short walk. Free from 6pm to 9am so fine for those on business.

A well run hotel, staff we on the ball and friendly and plenty of them to ensure you were looked after from dusk till dawn.

Other than the bed being a bit small, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, the service was outstanding and the venison I had for my evening meal was amazing. Really enjoyed our stay and would definitely come again xx

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Receptionist did not tell night manager we had gone out to supper and when we came back we were locked out for half hour. Finally found the night manager smoking outside the back of the building. It was freezing. Different receptionist the following morning was so bored and disinterested to the point of rudeness. This hotel is run to keep its staff happy, not its clientele. Could be so much better. Staff need better training and told to smile and be helpful.

Staff in bar/cafe very friendly and helpful. Delicious coffee.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Cobweb in bathroom, radiator thermostat not working in room, but by window so opened that to let out the heat.

Bar and restaurant were good. Friendly staff.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Lovely Hotel, staff were very courteous and helpful. Nice touch of Fresh Milk being available in small flasks for your room. Good choice for breakfast.. cooked or continental. Very clean rooms and will be back next year !!!

Receptionist attitude!

Don't pay for your upgraded room until you view it first otherwise you'll end up with a basic wet room to shower! Also don't complain if Anita is in reception, very unhelpful needs a course in customer relations!

We had barely any reception on our television in our room which wasn't too big a deal, but we did mention it when we left.

Staff helpful and friendly, rooms lovely and clean, with soothing decor. Breakfast was delicious too!

Room was really hot. Wanted to eat in evening but was told could wait a very long time as wedding on so had to eat elsewhere.

Beautiful setting, comfy bed and near everything

The toilet of the Single Room (Room 34) is situated so close to the wall and the towel rail that it is impossible for even a normal-sized person to sit comfortably. The bedroom itself is very comfortable with a lovely view.

Almost everything.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

the night sleep constantly interrupted with a fan running outside & creaking floor boards sounding like some one walking around all the time. Room No. 39

every thing we used.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast choices. Would have been better with more fruits, eggs to serve yourself, hot dishes on the buffet.

Staff very friendly and helpful. Hotel style and location are on point.

The room was quite small and not like the ones in the photos but it was perfectly adequate for the price. We were concerned about nose as it was facing the road but were not disturbed at all

Excellent location in the centre by the water. Limited parking outside hotel but car park just around the corner. The reception staff were friendly welcoming and very helpful

• Standard Double or Twin Room

A little expensive maybe - but probably par for the course given the location.

Perfect location to explore Sandwich and to have a stroll down the river towards the coast. The river is a stones throw away, and the pub opposite (Crispin Inn) is excellent for a friendly welcome, excellent beer and a great menu.

There was no mirror by the dressing table, the only mirror to stand at didn't have a plug socket so I had to do my hair from the other side of the room... and kept having to go to check it... not ideal I also had to move the furniture/bedside tables to access a plug Would have been nice to have had a floor length mirror perhaps inside the wardrobe door? The shower curtain needs replacing as it's very tired and discoloured as does the rapidly seat which the paint had started to come away, you could tell it had been caused by cleaning products which is ok but still Little things like this make a big impact. The parking situation is annoying to be honest. Considering you can only stay a min of 2 nights the hotel and the parking/council need to agree an approach which doesn't see paying guests having to jump up on the morning to put more money in the metre or to move he car on a Sunday. It kind of defeated the object of not having to get up early, being a mum of two children I was looking forward to not moving in the morning.

Lovely hotel Welcoming staff Decent breakfast

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We were in room 39 on the second floor and as the hotel doesn't have a lift (for various reasons) we found it a bit of a slog going up and down.

A wonderful location right on the river bank. We used the excellent local bus service to get around as we were fortunate to get one of the four hotel parking spaces and we didn't want to lose it as parking is at a premium. The hotel staff were very accommodating and in particular the lady on the reception desk

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Parking was a real pain, the nearby pay and display car park was quite full and we had to return to the car before 9am to put a ticket out. Breakfast wasn't anything to write home about.

Decent value for money and nice setting for a drink in the sun. Rooms were fine and clean.

• Single Room with Bathroom

I think the hotel, which is meant to be high class, could do with the presence of a strong overall manager, to instruct staff on things such as not to talk loudly, almost shouting, to each other, in public areas, but instead be more discreet. Also, I felt that having to get your own coffee from an outside area from the breakfast room and to make your own toast at breakfast was not what you expect from a superior hotel.

Very comfortable bed, especially the pillows. I was tempted to steal one!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Bedroom appeared to be clean but wash basin could have done with a wipe round. Dining staff could have done with a tad more training.

Location is good and the breakfast is also good.

Originally allocated a sub- ground level room which felt claustrophobic, dark and not private (could see people walking by). However, I asked to be moved and paid a small extra amount to get a junior suite on the top floor which was an amazing room!!! Staff were great.

Gorgeous small boutique hotel in fantastic location just behind Marylebone High street.

• Double Room with River View

Staff poorly trained, lacking in communication skills. Room not made up when we returned at 1.30 in the afternoon; told to get used to it because that's the way they did it. No parking provided - ok, we saw that on the website, but they could at least have sympathised, or even tried to help, which they didn't. Spent an hour trawling through town to find a space.

The room was nice and comfortable. The staff were trying; just didn't know what they were supposed to be doing.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with River View

There were small issues with the bathroom; the top of one of the taps had come off, the seal on the shower needed replacing.

Liked the size of the room and the size of the bath. Balcony was lovely as was the view. The staff were superb, always smiling, friendly and helpful. Ideal location for sightseeing.

The shower unit came away from the wall so did the loo handle ( room 19 ). The room was very hot even though the outside temp was cool ( should have guessed this as a fan was already in the room ). The outside fan ( from the Indian restaurant? ) opposite was still blowing after midnight ( went off when I rung the night manager ) and someone was talking loudly on his mobile at 06.25 in the outside passageway. The air was filled with the 'aroma' of Indian food. Not a great night's sleep. Other people in our party only experienced the hot room.

Kirsty on reception was extremely helpful because Booking.com had 'changed' my confirmed booking of a double bed into a twin bed room. She did everything in her power to help. The breakfast was good with swift, smiling service. I didn't eat dinner nor drink in the bar so can't comment

• Double Room with River View

We stayed in room 3 ground floor , and we were woken at 7 am with the sound of smashing bottles as the empties were being taken away and then 7.13 am woken by the company taken away the empty barrels . So very disappointed the hotel think think this is a acceptable time to do this when guest are paying £150.00 a night for a nice break and sleep . This really put a downer on the whole stay

The room was warm, we had a fan available and the window opened but it wasn't enough. An air con unit would be preferable.

The staff were really kind and welcoming. The room was clean and with a comfy bed, the breakfast was really good.

Lack of attention to detail: only 1 handtowel; missing bulb in bedside light; large patches of flaking paint in bathroom; whoever thought a thick winter weight duvet was OK in July with 25C+ temps; a breakfast order overlooked by kitchen; "free wifi" needed a Cloud account. Only 4 parking places, always full, £7.10 the day at public carpark. Whole place is a bit tired, and a lift really should be put in - top floor room involved 3 flights of stairs, one lot very narrow!

Friendly helpful staff, breakfast was fine.

• Queen Room

Poorly cooked breakfasts, fast food dinner menu which we didn't use, paid for the large room but very poorly fitted out in terms of quality and position of the furniture and a waste of money. Bath drainage very slow, curtains not properly hung and light not working - reported on day one but nothing changed in 3 days. All in all probably only worth £100 per night compared to the £200 we paid.

Not a lot

Restaurant and bar service very slow not just at very busy times. Staff on duty work hard and are friendly but not enough of them even when the facilities are half full. Serving staff are junior - they try hard and are attentive when you have them but need more support from management / colleagues. This happened on both nights we were there. (indeed on the second night the poor girl behind the bar had to plead on the internal phone for support !!!)

Excellent location. Food good (when it came). Staff friendly. Room good and clean.

The breakfast was really bad

The room we were in was a standard room and was a miserable small box with cracks and the walls and fairly dirty and dusty. Not what I was expecting for that price. Then again a friend of mine was in a superior room on the ground floor and it was amazing. So you should really spend that 40 euros ectra per night if you want to stay there

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with River View

Incorrect room allocated despite ringing to check that a ground floor room was available Long walk from reception for someone with limited mobility and through a dining room Breakfast in room ordered arrived with many items missing No mirror in bedroom over dressing table Minimum extras body lotion, robe which would have expected for 160 per night

The hotel bar offering would be improved if it offered a wider menu of cocktails. They appear to have a selection of 6 which are all pre-packaged, only one of which was available during our stay. Send some staff on a mixing course, I'm sure you'll reap the rewards!

A lovely hotel, well appointed and very relaxed with a great outside terrace for sunny days all set in the spectacular historic town of Sandwich.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with River View

Pillows were a waste of time fluff has disappeared out of them. Bath had no bath and was very slippery and dangerous. Wi fi wasn't sufficient for my daughter to watch you tube etc on iPad.. ended up tethering to 4G on phone.

The staff were lovely. Breakfast was lovely. Nice hotel. Bar attached did nice evening meals and child friendly..

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Bar really busy and noisy in the evenings Room stank of fried fish from restaurant next door, this smell in fact filled the whole hotel during the afternoon and was really unpleasant. I was not happy with the room we were given, right next to the vent for this fish and chip restaurant next door, was stuffy and overheated but not an option to have window open

very pretty town/location

The pics on site are of executive rooms not standard The bath is a short bath and shower is positioned so low being 6.2 feet tall it was lower than me and only warm at full Toilet roll was cheap and horrible First breakfast was really good but second one cam out with burnt sausage places burnt side down which they did replace to there credit and partners egg was undercooked and snotty

The staff were very good

Browse The Bell Hotel traveller photo gallery