Reviews of The Bickley Mill

Stoneycombe, Newton Abbot, TQ12 5LN, United Kingdom

#1 of 4 hotels in Newton Abbot

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Outstanding property, very very clean. Large rooms. Excellent value. Have been coming to Devon for 20 years and this is by far the best place I have stayed. Will be back again soon!

Can honestly say that there is nothing we didn't like about this hotel and will definitely be returning.

Our 2nd stay and glad we went back, everything was as good as our 1st visit. An absolute gem of a hotel, staff are so pleasant, rooms are so comfortable and clean and the food is excellent.

Our room was a little noisy from the restaurant downstairs and generally as the building is older there is noise due to thin walls and creaky stairs but I wouldn’t let this stop me from staying here again. It was a minor issue.

Small and peaceful. Lovely atmosphere. Really friendly and helpful staff in all areas. Excellent WiFi which was necessary due to poor phone signal as I was there on business. Breakfast service was excellent - very delicious and super quick. I was sorry I wasn’t able to eat in the restaurant as that looked superb.

really lovely rooms, very comfortable clean bed, we were on the top floor so the stairs were a bit steep if you had any heavy luggage or unsteady on your legs and it was really hot so maybe place a fan in the room. en suite facilities were very nice, but check if bath or shower if you have preference. food delicious

The rooms although very well decorated needed a thorough clean. The skirting boards were dirty, covered in dust and I found chocolate wrappers and old contact lenses underneath the bed.

Nicely located, on the surface it is a nice looking country bistro type hotel.

lunch and dinner menu is the same. we were taken to our room qith other guests making things confusing & embarrassing. the bedroom haytor is next to a boiler by the noise we had most of the night and morning. we could hear next door using the bathroom and people above walking around .

bedroom was well decorated and the location is stunning

Some staff were excellent, others not so - reluctant to allow me to sit at a table of my choice in the restaurant, despite it being more empty that full and nearly closing time. Breakfast menu not very varied.

Nice bed, well refurbished rooms. Had a very good dinner.

We had a problem with the tv, think it had a dodgy Ariel as kept loosing signal and volume

Staff were friendly and happy to help with all your needs. Great location for everything we wanted to visit. Comfortable and clean rooms and the food was of great standard

Slightly more attention to detail in the provision of toiletries in the room, ie we had no tissues or conditioner.

The room was spacious with a lovely view of the gardens. Friendly and helpful staff.

Had no complaints, only maybe the weather!

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was lovely and spacious and spotlessly clean. We ate in the restaurant in the evening and the meal was lovely. Breakfast was also very good.

• Deluxe Double Room with Balcony

No lift to the room and one person in our group is handicapped. We could hear everything from the rooms next door and along the hall. Rooms were not sufficiently insulated. We couldn't have a twin room so had to accept a large double bed for 2. We love spicy soups but the carrot and ginger soup was far too gingery (for all 3 in our group). The vegetables in the vegetarian curry were very hard and the curry too sweet.

Very pleasant and helpful staff. Large spacious room. The goat's cheese dish was delicious and the Homity pie very nice. We loved the setting and the gardens.

• Deluxe Double Room with Balcony

It's a beautiful place lovely and quite. Foods amazing. Staff so friendly and welcoming wish is lovely to see. Will be a returning customer when up that way.

Fantastic location, would love to try it there in the summer. Really cosy atmosphere and good facilities, only issue I could have was a creaky floorboard but in all seriousness very nice little stop-over!

Although large the shower was only hand held and there was no shower curtain.In my wifes case as she is not "mechanically" sound she would have needed some form of assistance to get in and out of the bath for showering.We were in the Eaves room and the last set of stairs were a real trial. In fairness we should have mentioned the disabilities at the onset.

The room was very clean and comfortable with plenty of space. The staffand asit happened the boss wee friendly and chatty and humerous. The breakfasts the one evening meal were most enjoyable.

We've said that the views are poor, but only because we were asked about them. This aspect of the accommodation wouldn't have registered with us ordinarily. The pub is on a small country lane, so what you see out of the windows is either the tree-lined lane, pub car park, or a grassy bank to the rear of the property. Everything you can see is kept very neat and tidy, but this isn't the kind of place to come to if all you want to do is sit in your room and look out the window. Our only negative comment would be (and it's negligible and easily rectifiable by the establishment) that there were no gluten free sausages available in the morning with breakfast. We found this strange given that gluten free options were available in the evening and that gluten free sausages are so easy to come by these days. But the breakfast was still fab and filling.

We have stayed here once a year for the past 3 years. The food has always been excellent. Gluten free options are available in the evening, which are just as tasty as 'real' food! The atmosphere is great and the staff are very accommodating. The rooms have everything in them that you could possibly want. A real cosy, country pub that we would highly recommend.

Friendly staff, great food, nice beer and a good nights sleep. Wi-fi great, which is a key thing for here as very weak or no mobile phone signal. I see no mobile signal as a positive as it was a work trip and allowed me to "turn-off" for my overnight stay. Will be visiting again for sure.

• Deluxe Double Room with Balcony

I recently stayed at The Bickley Mill as I was working in the Newton Abbot area and I was absolutely delighted with my stay. I arrived quite late in the evening but it was nice and easy to find as the car park and signage were well let. On arrival, the first thing I noticed was the outdoor area and the whole place looked very quaint and pretty. On check in, the lady who showed me to my room was absolutely lovely (unfortunately I didn’t catch her name) and really friendly. I stayed in the Riviera room and was so impressed. The bed was huge (and I was by myself so I was very happy about this!) the decor was really lovely, there was a seating area and even a whole walk in wardrobe - I wouldn’t mind this being my bedroom at home! To top it off there was also a balcony which would be lovely on a summer break. I also had dinner and breakfast - both of which were lovely (and they were very accommodating when I showed up late for breakfast I’d got the times mixed up... oops!) For dinner I had the braised beef and millionaire tart which were delicious. Overall, I was absolutely delighted with my stay. So much so that I’d like to come back again for a break! Highly recommended

The doors were locked when we returned to the hotel at 22.10hrs, after attending a concert. It was still lit up, and after tapping on the window to attract the staff still working, they let us in and served us drinks. Breakfast was mediocre.

Comfy bed, and staff were very pleasant

The sound insulation for the floor/ ceiling allowed noise to penetrate quite loudly from the room above.

Loved every aspect of the accomodation, except the creaking floorboards when people moved abput in the room above us.

Wifi speed slow at times, no DVD player as advertised.

Room was comfy, good choice of breakfast over all good value. Helpful friendly staff. Good menu for evening meal in an obviously popular eatery. The Bickley Mill is a very old building that has been extensively modernised but kept a lot of charm.

TV was rubbish. Signal kept dropping. Remote not working properly. Sure they will fix it. Desks for business customers should be a given but in my room there was only a coffee side table.

Generally very nice and comfortable. Cosy warmth about the place.

The neighbouring bedroom and bathroom faced directly onto our balcony meaning there was no privacy for them or us.

The bed was comfy and the outside space to the rear of the hotel was an attractive spot.

Breakfast was amazing. Staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The surroundings are picturesque and it is so peaceful. Well worthy the travel from Glasgow. We are definitely coming back.

When in the bedroom, could hear the children playing in the family room above us until quite late, also you could hear people talking in the lobby by the upstairs door to the car park.

Dinner was very good.

Having to say good-bye..

The room had character but also very clean, you could say homely and so was the staff ready to please, made our stay something we will always remember.

• Deluxe Double Room with Balcony

Breakfast. Although cooked to order, rather than buffet style, the quality of ingredients needed to be better for this grade of accommodation. Cheap-branded orange juice. What seemed like tinned mushrooms in Full English. Scrambled egg either from egg-powder or thinned with milk.

Although in a very old building the renovation had been done sympathetically and the decor of bedrooms & bathrooms was bright and fresh.

Mobile phone reception not very good

Good selection of food . Although I had a room facing the road after 6 pm hardly and came past so very quiet. Slept right through the night. Room had large shower cubicle and bathroom.

The car park was rammed full with wedding party and dinner guests who had parked fairly randomly so initially difficult to find a spot. We found one in the end. We were intially put off by how busy the place seemed on arrival (Saturday night) but after a very short period the very friendly welcome overcame this. So don't be put off!

Although very busy, the service was excellent, friendly, timely and well organised. The room (Eaves) was very comfortable with a good sized bathroom. The food was very good. Wine and beer good choice. Cosy snug in bar.

Noisy room, sounded like a cooler unit or freezer was running non stop, did not sleep well. Seating for four was a bit cramped in the dinning room.

The setting was very nice.

A writing desk would be helpful for me as a business traveller and not all rooms have this. The breakfast menu has not changed greatly. It would be nice to have something like Eggs Benedict and increase the selection of breakfast items.

I am pleased the Mill has reviewed the breakfast hours changing this to 7:30am from 8am. The free Wi-Fi is greatly appreciated as well as the convenience of free on-site car parking.

I had a terrible stay. There was a mechanical noise that kicked in every five minutes - a low hum followed by a high pitched screech. Lasted a couple of seconds, but at a pitch and regularity to be a source of torture all night. After a five hour drive I was looking forward to a lovely rest, however, the room was so noisy! Tried for an hour to get to sleep, but no joy, so got dressed to complain to staff. However, as they were fully booked there was little they could do. They tried to shut off the boiler to see if it helped, but sadly it didn't. So a night of torture ensued. Such a shame - could have been lovely.

unfortunately there were two weddings on Friday and Saturday so please check before boking if your hoping for a quiet break ! first room we were offered was called the "Eaves" although we were told we were put here to be out of the way of the wedding noise I can only describe is as a loft room which is dark and not appealing at all , we were moved to salcombe which was far more appealing with good views of garden area . breakfast only yoghurts available first morning then none for rest of 4 day stay and last morning no croissants which was a shame , but cooked breakfast was lovely everyday.

situated in a lovely quiet area although quite tough to find if you rely on Mr sat nav although it is signposted if you don't miss them, food good staff friendly and lovely scenery looking out on gardens, would stay again if room was available.

TV reception poor. Kept losing channels. No grab rails in the bath/shower. Floors creaky and noises could be heard through walls especially a repetitive noise all through the night - like air con coming on briefly. No summer duvet. Breakfast room not so well decorated - looked tired and dingy. Yogurt and croissants not on display. If you didn't ask you would have missed out. When I asked for croissants they had all gone so not enough.Mushrooms reheated and bacon and sausage maybe also.

The bedroom was excellent. Very clean, newly decorated as was the bathroom. Both quite spacious. Full breakfast 4 out of 5. Decaf coffee excellent. Staff v helpful. Private ramped access to bedroom annexe with its own lounge. Beautiful location, peaceful.

Shower - double shower looked fantastic, but water dribbled out. Bar prices seemed very expensive.

Staff were extremely efficient, friendly and readily available. Room lovely, with one exception double shower was very poor water dribbled out of shower head. Bar well stocked but very expensive.

We would have liked an armchair in the bedroom if we had been staying longer. We were fortunately able to climb the two flights of stairs to our room but some might find this difficult.

Loved the soft pillows and towels. The bed was comfortable and the room light and airy. The lighting was very good and the t. v. easy to operate. Breakfast was very good with nice hot freshly made tea and extra hot water as required. The staff were delightful and welcoming.

Bed uncomfortable, very creaky floorboards from the room above, hot tap in bathroom sink did not work

Very nice grounds, great breakfast and tasty food in the restaurant

The hotel was easy to find and in just the right location to visit Torquay and the Moors without having to stay in either places. Brilliant for parking. Very quiet. Evening meal and breakfast excellent. All the staff were very pleasant. Hope to stay again.

There was nothing to fault

For a family of 5 the adjoining room for the children was fantastic, the staff could not be more helpful, the food was superb and the hotel and grounds were immaculate. Cannot rate it highly enough.

The shower - hand held in the bath. A bit of a nightmare trying to shower without flooding the bathroom.

Quality of decor and furnishings. Good food and service. Stylish.

Everything was lovely

We had a lovely relaxing stay everything was lovely. The room, surroundings, breakfast, staff. Looking forward to another short break next year.

No chocolate on the pillows.

We were surprised at how nice it was. First experience of breakfast in a pub. Good food. We thought it would be good enough to base a holiday in Devon there. Liked the rabbits

The room we were in was quite noisy as it was by the door at the top of the slope. Some people couldn't unlock the door so could hear them trying for ages to get in. The bathroom was quite small especially after taking a shower to dry yourself was a bit awkward.

Bed was very comfortable and the outside seating area is lovely

Average food asked for two medium steaks they Arived nearly well done!! Cutlery had smears on like not been washed properly

Staff very friendly nice welcome

Sorry but there is nothing that could have been improved on. We even had sunshine for the entire visit.

Everything about our visit to Bickley Mill was excellent. From the moment we arrived the staff were friendly and approachable. Room was very comfortable, furnished to a high standard with a large bathroom with an excellent walk-in shower. As the hotel is a little of the beaten track, even though it's only about 5 miles from Torquay, we decided to eat in their restaurant and we are so glad we did, the food is superb and of a very high standard, with plenty of choice. Drinks before dinner outside in the beautiful gardens, not surprised this hotel is a popular wedding venue. Excellent night's sleep followed by a wonderful breakfast, setting us up for the day ahead. Cannot praise this hotel and their staff enough, will definitely be returning one day.

No air conditioning so due to weather we had to have our windows open and found that for a rural area the road alongside was very busy

Hotel staff and the ambience of the property was very good

Would have like a mattress topper to make bed a little softer and a portable fan, it's gets a litte warm during the summer

The staff was friendly and helpful, even made us sandwiches when arriving later in the evening even though the kitchen was closed Beautiful scenery and comfortable room.

• Deluxe Double Room with Balcony

I stayed on one of the hottest days of the year and the rooms are not conditioned so my room was very uncomfortable due to the heat. I went to reception and asked if that had a table top fan, unfortunately not and the lady said she would feed this back to the manager, simple thing would have make so much difference to my stay, as I'm sure I can't have been the only one. My room had a separate closet type wardrobe which had a damp smell about it, so if you left clothes hanging there for a period of time, might pick up the smell.

Great location, really friendly staff, clean and tidy room, nice size bathroom with a great walk in shower . Tea and coffee, free bottles of water in the room and biscuits, nice touch. Great breakfast with so much choice. I also had a evening meal in the restaurant and the food was amazing and great prices. The waitress was great ensuring I had every I needed. Great food with real ale with top quality accommodation

• Deluxe Double Room with Balcony

Staff really friendly. I misheard the time that breakfast finished, I was 20 minutes late but they still fed me. Lovely location, just a really nice chilling experience.

No air conditioning- fan was offered.

Nice hotel with good breakfast and dinner options. Would be useful if they had air- conditioning as room got quite hot. Facilities adequate for a business trip.

The small country road to the Mill was a bit complicated and long.

A romantic place with a good restaurant and good breakfast - a good place for staying longer. The room was nice and large, but limited space for the clothes to hang up or put in drawers. Very quiet, green surroundings. Friendly staff, nice lounge room. Would gladly come back!

SatNav is essential. It proved a little difficult to find even in daylight.

All was comfortable and inviting. The refurbished former mill has many interesting features, areas to sit and listen to the bird song, watch the rabbits and generally relax.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

The rooms were too hot and the duvets were too heavy on the bed, which were frustratingly thrown off the beds around 3am; a sheet would have sufficed. Squeaking floorboards, heating pumps, toilet cisterns, showers and overheated rooms kept us all awake for the majority of the night, which ruined our day and the purpose of our visit, due to all three of us being shattered. We stayed here last year and do not recall not being able to sleep.

The location, gardens and a local round walk were lovely. The staff are very pleasant and helpful. I was impressed that they offered extensive and individual gluten and dairy menus. Evening dinner was okay but the breakfast was very good. The bed was very comfortable but there was a negative to this.

• Deluxe Double Room with Balcony

The weather which was beyond their control!

Excellent accommodation, food and staff. We have finally found the right place for us to stay when visiting the family in south west England and we will be returning in the near future. The staff realising we were running late on our final night and that we would need to leave early the next day left a note on the door telling us not to worry about waiting for the staff to sort the bill in the morning they could sort it through booking.com, that they hoped we had enjoyed the stay and left bacon sandwichs for our onward journey. Excellent customer care

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Great food, only criticism is dry scrambled eggs on full English. Wifi a little slow and phone signal useless from bedroom.

Burger and sausages all made with with good quality meat. Staff were brilliant as ever. A lovely stay.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

No real complaints.

The croissants are baked onsite. The breakfasts have plenty of options. I ate all evening meals there. Everything was prepared well. It's a great location with rabbits in the garden and this is the kind of place where you would come for the weekend with the family.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Good sized room with a comfortable large bed. Staff were superb - very friendly and totally helpful - a credit to the hotel. We ate at the hotel both evenings - good varied menu and a full understanding of gluten intolerance - even had a separate menu which mirrored the main menu with the gluten adjustments.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Lovely, peaceful location with gorgeous gardens and outside seating areas. Breakfast was superb as was dinner in the restaurant on our last evening. So pleased we decided to stay here rather than in Torquay itself.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

We were in the Kingsbridge and at night there was a noise that sounded like a pump which switched on for about two seconds at a time regularly, every six to fifteen minutes. It was quite load. We would not want to stay in that room again.

Location. Service. Breakfasts. Cleanliness.

I was in Devon to go house hunting and the staff at Bickley Mill couldn't have been more friendly and gave me lots of helpful and useful advise. The atmosphere at the Mill is relaxed and food is lovely. The rooms all have names rather than numbers which is delightful and they are clean, comfortable and have everything you need. The location is peaceful and beautiful and the venue welcoming. Definitely recommend but not too much or there wont be a room left for me on my next trip!!

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

All the staff were helpful and friendly. The food in the restaurant was excellent with a good choice for vegetarians. I would definitely stay there again.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

One very small improvement would be to have a shelf or something to put the shower gel on in the shower, but this wasn't a problem. This is also only in one room (Badgers Holt) so I can't comment on other rooms.

The staff, the facilities and the food were excellent. I am a regular traveller and this definitely rates as one of my preferred places to stay.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with Balcony

The room was lovely - nicely decorated, spotlessly clean and a very comfortable bed. The breakfast was very nice and delivered promptly. And the staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

The lack of mobile phone signal was a little frustrating, but once I got used to this I was able to enjoy a rest from all the everyday disruptions!

The staff were very welcoming, helpful and friendly. The place had been beautifully decorated and lots of attention to detail. My room was gorgeous and the bathroom just amazing. Very comfortable and a joy to stay. Thank you!

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

The post code doesn't relate to the hotel. There were no security lights for the early leaver. Would be a problem if icy. Could have been offered a breakfast tray as I had paid for breakfast and got a bacon sandwich.

The staff ,Jess, Beth, and Craig were excellent. Easy booking in. Easy parking. Good clean room. Due to early start wasn't able to try breakfast. Supplied with sandwich.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Bathroom could have been more user friendly for 80 year olds. eg a grab handle over the bath would have made it safer to take a shower. The toilet seat did not fit properly.

Excellent evening meal and breakfast.

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

Bit of a cold evening, would have been nice to have had the radiators switched on before arrival.

Exceptional staff. Good shower and bedroom. Food and menu very good.

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

Bar area was a little cold but it was very cold outside that night but had a lovely open log fire in restaurant

What a find, I stay away a couple of nights a week over the last 10 plus years and this is in my top 5 places to stay, great staff, great food (try the Scallops and Black Pudding WOW) great real ale and beautiful bedrooms and fantastic value so good I booked in again for next month

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

Breakfast not served till 8am had to leave at 7.30 and was not told till checking out that they could have provided a breakfast tray for peopl checking out eary

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Access along twisty country lanes but not a problem once you are familiar with area.

Location quiet. Set in lovely grounds. Rooms comfortable. Meals of an excellent standard.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

Disappointed there was no easy chair in bedroom

The breakfast was excellent, gluten free toast was provided for me. Good choice of food. Towels very soft.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with Balcony

There wasn't anything we didn't like! We had a wonderful evening & will definitely be stating again in the future. Will also be recommending you to friends & family. Thankyou for a lovely stay

The bed was very comfortable & the food was fantastic. Staff were very friendly & helpful.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

Room was a little small

I only stayed here because I had a flat tyre but the location was lovely, the room cosy, the pub modern and interesting and the staff friendly

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

Fact I could only stay one night! Definitely returning to this beauty of a place.

What a great find, beautifully presented, open fire and cosy corners. The staff were friendly, efficient and real! None of the nonsense associated with hotels, good honest and lovely people. Room was wonderful and food excellent.

• Reviewed: 23 December 2016

Nothing adverse although could do with a wider selection of breakfast cereals.

The beds were comfortable, the whole place was very clean, staff friendly and attentive and it had a very welcome feel with a log fire in the bar/lounge.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

The room seemed too warm, found it difficult to sleep. The TVs channel on BBC 1 was dreadful reception had to fiddle with the Ariel lead.. eventually worked! No mobile phone signal this was dreadful as needed to take business calls.

Staff were lovely! A nice welcome, very clean accomadation. Wi-fi worked which was a blessing ! Plenty of parking. Food was ok

Browse The Bickley Mill traveller photo gallery