Reviews of The Bloomsbury Hotel 4 stars

16-22 Great Russell Street, Camden, London, WC1B 3NN, United Kingdom

#81 of 977 hotels in London

• Classic Double Room

room was very small and we couldn't get into the mini bar.

room was much smaller than expected however it was still a nice room. bed was extremely comfortable. breakfast was very pricey so we went elsewhere. tried to charge for drinks from the mini bar but sorted that quiet easily

I liked it all!

The staff were really polite, friendly and attentive. The room was fairly small but well furnished and spotlessly clean. For a central London hotel it was extremely quiet! I didn’t hear a thing in the night and had a great nights sleep!

• Classic Double Room

GREAT LOCATION ! THE STUFF WAS SO LOVELY AND HELPFULL.. THEY CLEAN THE ROOM TWICE A DAY AND AT 5 PM THEY BROUGHT 2 GLASSES OF MILK WITH A FEW COOKIES FOR THE CHILDREN.. SO NICE FROM THEM..

• Classic Double Room

Great location if you are planning a theatre trip or want to do explore West London. For us, it was an ideal base for the theatre, Covent Garden, The London Eye, The Oxo Tower, The Museums and Kensington Palace. Hotel staff are friendly and helpful. Food is great, and service is super.

• Deluxe Double Room

The charge for a bottle of water. It should be complimentary, in particular, still water.

Good sized room with a very comfortable bed and wonderful Aromatherapy Associates toiletries in the huge bathroom. Great location.

• Classic Double Room

The hotel should make a decision whether it wants to be a hotel or a club. Very loud music makes an early night impossible. As lovely as the terrace looks part of it terribly stinks. Music is very loud all day long in the restaurant and bar. Even during breakfast it seems necessary to have loud music.

Beautiful interior design, especially the bar and the sitting room. Most of the staff is very helpful and nice.

• Classic Double Room

Room was on the interior air shaft and therefore no real daylight, This was disappointing due to the long stay (6 nights) Otherwise, although small, was very nicely appointed.

great sheets

• Classic Double Room

For the price we would have expected a working desk lamp and a non disabled bathroom which had no proper shower tray. It didn’t quite meet expectations in terms of standard but then again, that’s central London for you!

• Classic Double Room

Breakfast wasn’t great but when we commented they responded and offered us a complimentary breakfast next time.

Comfortable room. Very helpful staff. Good central location.

• Classic Double Room

We needed a top hotel in the theater area of London for a one night stay. We chose the Bloomsbury as it was exactly where we wanted to be and the reviews sounded just like the kind of place we like to stay. The hotel is beautiful, the staff were amazing, polite and professional and friendly. Our room was delightful, comfortable and decorated with style. You are made to feel special and that is all that matters when treating your wife to a night out in London. thank you, we will be back!

• Classic Double Room

We were given a superior room but we had no natural light. I know this is often the case in city centre hotels but it does mean you want to limit the time spent in the room, which is such a pity, especially in such a great city and in such glorious weather. As the room was so well appointed, this was a shame.

The room included bathrobes, stationery, coffee machine, toiletries....the list goes on! The bed was exceptionally comfortable and the high standard of cleanliness indicated a very well run hotel.

• Classic Double Room

I booked a deluxe room but it was very small the shower was very hot and difficult to get the temperature right.The breakfast was average disappointed as we ordered the eggs just cooked and was given hard eggs the waitress offered to take them back and returned with the eggs still over cooked we left them on the plate

The bed was comfortable.and the staff were friendly and polite The terrace restaurant was great, good food and wine the service was exceptional.

15% service charge on EVERYTHING. Could have been made clearer. Also a cocktail we had came in 50% more expensive than its price in menu because of the spirit we chose....should have been explained as it was quite a shock !

staff were amazingly helpful, professional yet welcoming.

• Classic Double Room

The hotel was in a great location (near Regent Street) and very comfortable and quiet. The Juicery and healthy meal options were a bonus. Plus, the Hotel was more than happy to provide a healthy "to Go" lunch option at my request.

Room slightly on the small side but not a big issue

Lovely entrance into the hotel greated with a very warm welcome hotel fresh and clean friendly staff

• Classic Double Room

Bed was the worst I have slept on, the floor would have been softer, both myself and partner had awful night with very little sleep.

Good quality Hotel and very nice and relaxed.

• Classic Double Room

The bedroom was too hot even with the air conditioning turned down

Great service loved my bed being turned down great atmosphere in the cocktail bar and late night room service was delivered promptly and the food was excellent even at 1am

• Classic Double Room

They have renovated and replaced the lovely lobby area by a bar. I used to like the lobby for its literary vibes and now its just a tiny corner. Lost its charm as a hotel in Bloomsbury but good for people who want to hang out in a bar.

Its location.

• Deluxe Double Room

No toilet roll holder in room and grab bar by bath was not fitted correctly.

We were running late at lunch and needed something to eat and drink within 30 minutes. The wonderful waiter recommended sandwiches and drinks ensured we received them quickly. We were ready to depart in 25 minutes. Everything was perfect and all the staff were helpful and courteous

• Classic Double Room

Really warm personal welcome, extremely comfortable bed and lovely atmosphere in the bar at the end of the evening. I was celebrating my 60 th birthday and I even had a card and cake to greet me in the room. So thoughtful. Will save up for another visit very soon.

Very small room very small bed I couldn't breathe. I asked to change room and I was given another one slightly bigger but always very small. I am not tall and I can't imagine someone tall sleeping in such a bed. I can saw trought my window the wall outside and almost touch it. Nice bathroom though, and a Nespresso machine available.

Nice place

Like everything

Great quality, boutique style Hotel. Double rooms quite small, but have everything you need. Excellent beds and pillows. Bar is fantastic and all the members of staff were excellent. Gym small, but equipment very good quality. Bar food was also excellent.

• Classic Double Room

Staff in the restaurant and bar were rude and unfriendly

Staff at breakfast were exceptionally good, hotel is very clean and comfortable. I loved the living room with the fireplace

there wasn't a negative response to any aspect of the hotel

the whole atmosphere of the hotel was excellent from checking in to checking out and the breakfast was amazing.

• Deluxe Double Room

Noisy room. AC fan kept coming on in the night although it was switched off & there was a lot of street noise. We would have preferred a room away from the adjacent room being redecorated

Not much

• Classic Double Room

The only thing is the size of the rooms.... we booked a superior room and bed and room were very small for two people in one room! The room was very nicely decorated, but we could almost not move around due to lack of space... Nevertheless we would book a higher room cathegory next time (we wanted to change but nothing available anymore) and would definitely go back. We liked the hotel and the location is just perfect!!

The Bloomsbury is a very nice hotel, excellent location and the restaurant and the bar are excellent!! We will definitely go back!!

• Classic Double Room

I lost my lap top and they found it and kept it safe. There was a problem with the bath but it was very quickly fixed. Overall a really fabulous place and great room service!

• Classic Double Room

If I was to be really critical The room was a bit small but it was the top floor and we were late booking .

The staff were very informative,the hotel was in a very handy location, The room was very nice with good equipment The concierge was knowledgable

• Classic Double Room

The location was ideal. The bed was so comfortable, and we are usually quite exacting, and although the breakfast initially seemed quite expensive, it turned out to be fantastic and therefore good value! I couldn't recommend it enough.

• Classic Double Room

Worst service i had ever had. It is embarrassing in his life .

The guy at bar, the coral room, is very RUDE at the bar. I had my collage over, to introduce to the bar. He is refused to serve us the drink. I would NOT recommend to anyone to come to the hotel bar. Worst bar ever in my life.

• Deluxe Double Room

Great location, beautiful hotel, all staff were incredibly friendly. A lot of classy hotels in London feel a bit stuck up but this place makes you feel totally at home and can’t do enough for you.

• Classic Double Room

Amazing quirky hotel. Bar and terrace restaurant was amazing with super friendly staff. They also put petals all through the room as it was Valentine's weekend.

• Classic Double Room

The one black mark against the room was the Air Conditioning system is entirely insufficient and there was no way to turn off the heated floor either. Even if I opened a window the air was stifled by the atrium roof.

The Bloomsbury is in a great position for access to anywhere in the West End. The Staff are professional and very helpful and the room, decor, facilities and amenities are wonderful.

• Classic Double Room

The photos perfectly demonstrate how beautifully the hotel is decorated and how lovely the atmosphere is in this hotel. Our room was spotless, the staff were wonderful and friendly, the breakfast was delicious, cocktails amazing, bed incredibly comfortable. I cannot fault the hotel in anyway.

• Classic Double Room

I cannot find one thing to complain about. This hotel is faultless.

From the moment you step into the Bloomsbury hotel to the moment you leave, you will not be disappointed. The hotel is beautiful, the staff are friendly and attentive, the food was lovely, the room was comfortable, the cocktails were superb and all the little touches really add up. Little chocolates in the room at night, turning down the bed and leaving out a dressing gown and slippers for the guests. The staff went above and beyond.

• Classic Double Room

Room too hot on arrival, small room for the price.

Excellent lovation just off the back of Tottenham Court Road tube or a 15 min walk to Euston - lovely decor, great bar and terrace downstairs, great attentive service and a sense of poshness with the doormen and concierge. We didnt eat (just drinks as we were going to the London Palladium) but an excellent choice. The room was uncomfortably hot when we arrived so we had to turn off the heat and open the resticted window and the room was fairly small but we didnt spend that much time in the room as we had a busy itinerary.

The whole check in was terrible they couldn’t find us they booked us into someone else’s room and had the wrong items in the bills. They told us they had upgraded us when they hadn’t! Terrible staff

Eggs Benedict and the atmosphere of the bar

• Classic Double Room

You could get some noise from the bars in the rooms at night, so if you want to be on the quiet side, make sure to ask. The reception staff are not terribly welcoming, but hey, it's London.

The bars and restaurants are a fantastic surprise.

Arrived at the bar about 10:30 to be told we cdnt go in as it was full and they didn’t allow standing As we were actually staying at the hotel didn’t think this was great We were offered the bar downstairs but we wanted to be in yr beautiful bar by reception

Staff were friendly and helpful, great location

• Classic Double Room

Ordered fresh milk for bedroom which did not actually arrive despite two phone calls!Also, no hair dryer in room and guest services took 20 minutes to locate one!

Friendliness of staff .

• Classic Double Room

One remark: bathroom was quite small.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Wonderful food in Dalloway restaurant. Snacks and cakes in Coral Room equally tasty. Beautiful decor throughout. Nice comfortable room. Feels very cosy.

• Classic Double Room

I love The Bloomsbury, its my favourite hotel and will always come back. The only reason I rated lower on facilities was because in my room the sink was blocked and I had problems with the water in the shower my entire stay, it was super hot. But it doesn't affect my opinion about the hotel. Its normal, maintanance challenges. Thank you and see you next time.

Maybe the background music in the fabulous bar was a bit loud.

While I thought the room was a bit small & realise now I could have got a larger one, I was impressed with the turn down each evening, fresh towels, chocolates. Room was spotless.

Brechfast

Coffee at breakfast wasn't great an neither was the breakfast itself plain an no actual flavour Should have ventured out for breakfast to be honest

• Classic Double Room

Payment was a bit confusing as wasn’t explained correctly during check in

The rooms were very spacious with everything you could need! The bed was beyond comfortable, location was brilliant and staff were very friendly

Breakfast was a big let down. The room, the food and the staff at breakfast were much more inferior to the standard of the rest of the hotel.

The convenient location,not just 1 but 2 Art Deco style bars and the friendly attentive staff!

I didnt want to leave !

the hotel knew it was my 50th birthday and i mentioned i had chosen the hotel because i am a big fan of Virgina Woolf and the bloomsbury set. The staff wished me happy birthday, upgraded my room, gave me a happy birthday chocolate cake and even a gift of a virgina woolf novel (the only one i dont own). The service was exemplary the room and bed very comfortable, High Tea on the Dalloway terrace was the highlight of my birthday weekend which all in all was an amazing weekend thanks to the staff here X

• Classic Double Room

Rooms were not great, I'm afraid. The first room I was given had a drainage problem in the bathroom and the floor flooded which impacted the room beneath. Was moved to another room, which was more spacey. However, TV didn't work properly with permanent voice over and sub-titles that no one could switch off. Hotel manager was however accommodating and gave me a discount off my bill.

Best part was the newly decorated lounge area by the bar. Fabulous colours, very warm and welcoming. Staff were also friendly.

The reception is disappointing, compared to the room it looks dull and a little tatty. Also the fact that the main entry of that large building is not the reception ... you have to find your way to that tatty reception. And why is there no room without carpet?

But the room , though a little small and without a view, was really nice and impeccably clean. The staff helpful and nice. The building lovely and very well kept.

• Classic Double Room

The staff arranged for transport to airport but did not inform me that if I used a credit card I would be charged an extra £5, therefore we had to drive around London to find a Barclays ( partner of BAML) to get cash! Not mynprogram. Not cool

Staff, cool atmosphere - location good not great

- Checkin: a bit crowded in the small reception table, was expecting welcome coffee or drink, even a piece of cookie. - Bathroom: shower and bathtub hard to switch

- The check in was great, staff were nice; - Fluffy slipper provided!! - Room is clean, and have chairs, can't tell why its good but just felling great about the size, the height and the place of how it be, can sit in a perfect state whenever wanted.

• Studio Suite

Couldn't get a reservation at the restaurant even though I spent nearly £400 on a room. Had to eat at the bar and the food was awful.

The location.

• Classic Double Room

Nothing, everything was just great, we had lovely stay.

hotel staff very helpful and friendly, great breakfast,we thought Hotel a good mix of contemporary and classical style, modern bedrooms and the Coral room very elegant lovely atomsphere, very chic.

• Classic Double Room

Small room, noisy in morning as beside housekeeping equipment, lights didn't work properly in room, blown bulb in bathroom wasn't fixed in the five days I was there despite asking, door handle broke trapping me inside, bad enough delaying me for my train, horrific if an emergency, breakfast was an uncomfortable experience, given wrong type of toast, had to search for butter, noticed others were given menus and many more choices than I was, very expensive for such poor service.

Tiny room non-compliant with the pictures Small window hardly accessible, hidden behind a closet,at the back of the room. It was very difficult to sleep as there was no aeration in the room (it was impossible to swith on the ventilation system as it is right in front of the bed) We were disturbed by noise in the corridor

Very polite staff

• Classic Double Room

Although on initial booking we were told that there were no twin rooms available, we asked the day before travelling and on arrival they had managed to sort two twin room out. Staff were the excellent, cheerful and very helpful.

• Classic Double Room

Couldn't get a table for brunch, have to book early!

Location was excellent. The staff were friendly and efficient, one gentleman was particularly helpful, assisting us with our luggage to taxi (parked half way up the street) in heavy snow.

room service menu.

The guys helping out on bringing your luggage in from the taxi and out while waiting for the taxi are extremely courteous and helpful and pleasant. very kind. a nice way to welcome guest and set the tone to the rest of the stay.

• Classic Double Room

Breakfast room was lower ground which was rather dark and dull. Such a shame not to use the lovely space on the ground floor.

Beautiful historic building. Gorgeous bar. Lovely room with very comfortable bed.

• Classic Double Room

Breakfast during the week is weak. Fortunately there is Eve's directly across the street which offers great coffee (better than the one you get in the Cafe Royal, which is hard to beat), fabulous sandwiches and others.

Location and style is great. Personel is friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the stay really and will certainly return.

The room was kind of hot; but, it has a air conditioning which I turned on every single night. The other issue is that my room (404) was very noisy. It is located just in front of the stairs; therefore, you can hear people coming and going; also, the lock was not secure enough, it was kind of loose. I will guess that this was like a reading room converted to sleeping room. it was kind of difficult to have a good sleep.

The hotel has a great location and great customer service. It has a new bar and restaurant with a nice decoration and great service; a great place to enjoy a drink after a long day of walking around the City.

• Classic Double Room

We booked a superior room and were first allocated to a tiny little room - hardly belived to be a superior room. After intervention a the reception desk we did get the appropriate room.

The first day after we checked in, we soon discovered the taps in bathroom are only coming in hot water, very hot water. We called the reception then they fixed the problem. On the third day the housekeeper lost my blanket accidentally. The blanket is very very important to me because I’ve slept with it from the day I was born and it was handmade by my mum. I called the front desk immediately after I found out the blanket disappeared. The night manager managed everything very well. He went to the laundry room to find my blanket and luckily he found it. It was covered by one of bed sheets. The hotel manager is very good but the staffs are sloppy. They did things unprofessionally. Sometimes I saw cleaning tools was abandoned outside our door for no reasons. It’s nice the hotel manager treated us the first round when we were in the hotel bar for the compensation of the blanket event. But when we checked out and checked the bills. They asked us to pay the spending of the bar. We saw very clearly the manager told the waitress the first round was on him. But as I said, the staffs are sloppy.

The location is very good. You go everywhere by foot. The room is clean and the bed is comfortable.

Very tiny room with a tiny bed. Room service didn't work at all. Construction started in the courtyard at 8AM on a Saturday - with no warning. Tub drain didn't work properly. No toilet brush.

Great location, great design and great bedding.

The noise insolation isn't what I'd expect for this price. You can hear you neighbours easily. The door was bent a little, so naturally more noise was coming in. Sometimes, housekeeping knocked on the door at 7:45 am (and yes we had the sign "Do not disturb" on the door). The breakfast was very good but too expensive for what it was. For the same money, you'll get something better in other restaurants in the neighbourhood.

The location is perfect. The room was cosy. Everything was always super clean, the hotel, the room/bathroom. The bar/restaurant is very nice, especially the Terrasse. The staff was really nice and helpful.

Room was quite dark even with artificial lighting. Very little natural light with a small window by the corner of the room, so feels a little claustrophobic.

Clean, decor is pretty and staff are really friendly and helpful. Good breakfast selection, hot food was fairly average, but nothing bad to say about it!

• Classic Double Room

I loved having a room over Great Russell Street rather than one opening on to an air shaft. The free wifi worked well. The young men delivering room service were all exceptionally friendly and helpful.

• Classic Double Room

I was placed in a room with one "blind" window, despite having specified "room with outside views" at the time of booking, long time in advance. The excuse was "no other available room". Following my complaints, I was transferred to a room with a "nornal" window on the second day of my 4-night stay.

Excellent central location, comfortable & functional rooms,

• Deluxe Double Room

We had a problem with the water pressure but it was fixed after reporting to the front desk

The hotel is located close to the British Museum - a walking distance from main attraction and shopping areas. An underground station and many bus stations are nearby. Excellent location when visiting London. The rooms were clean, comfortable and well equipped. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Breakfast in the hotel is good but expensive. There are so many good places nearby for breakfast. We stayed for a week and loved this place.

• Classic Double Room

The hotel had construction going on that we had not been informed about when making the reservation. The noise was noticeable in our room, parts of the hotel were inaccessible, and the side (only) entry was frequently blocked by workers. You enter the hotel by an alley way that seemed a little sketchy, especially at night. The staff at breakfast, although all very friendly and good workers, provided erratic and occasionally very slow service. I think this was a management problem. Multiple people asking for our orders, food not being delivered, being alternately ignored or smothered with no real clear explanation. They were almost trying too hard but failing at the simple stuff. A single server would have been preferable and more efficient. The coffee was different every single morning (strong, week, americano, brewed... never the same twice). One night I tried to leave a key at the front desk for my wife. I had returned to the hotel not feeling well earlier in the evening than planned while my wife was still out with our friends. We had only brought one key out with us. When I told the girls at the front desk that I was leaving a key for my wife, they all laughed at me and one gave me a look and basically said, "yeah, right. we don't believe you". I realized they were suggesting that I was a single man asking for a key to be left for an escort so they would be able to come to my room under the guise of being my wife. I ignored their rudeness and wrote my wife's name on the envelope for the key and returned to my room. When my wife came in later that evening and asked for the key, she was treated by the (now different) staff as an unwelcome intruder. They said they could not find the key (despite it being left in the appropriate place), and treated her with a tone that suggested they did not believe her and that she should not be there.

Good location near British museum and West End theatre, mostly friendly staff, excellent housekeeping, good breakfast. The manager of the downstairs bar does an outstanding job and really went out of his way to accommodate us as hotel guests and make us feel special (the bar gets crowded with non-hotel guests at night). The mattress of the bed was really comfortable.

• Classic Double Room

There is building work going on in the hotel. We weren't informed of this before we stayed and we were woken up before 9am with drilling and loud noises even on the Sunday morning.

The location was central

• Classic Double Room

Amazing friendly and helpful staff. I even left my Louis Vuitton Shawl at Breakfast and it was returned to me. Generally these kids of things go missing.

• Classic Double Room

The room we stayed in was a superior catagory and was on the second floor overlooking garbage categorization of rooms needs to be assessed.

Location nice decor beautiful restaurant

• Classic Double Room

There was nothing I did not like. We have stayed at the Bloomsbury many times in the past and it is consistently good.

The building and decor are beautiful and the staff are extremely helpful and courteous.

• Classic Double Room

I loved my stay here. The service was excellent throughout the hotel. The bed and pillows were heavenly. Great linens! The location was spot on and the bar/lounge perfectly cozy. I can't wait to return!

Browse The Bloomsbury Hotel traveller photo gallery