Reviews of Best Western The Boltons Hotel London Kensington 4 stars

19-21 Penywern Road, Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW5 9TT, United Kingdom

#589 of 977 hotels in London

Based on 2096 hotel reviews

The cleaning and service was very good.

The breakfast could have more frugts and different things to eat.

The cleaning and service was very good. Everytime u had a question for anyting they helped us out,

The room was rather small.

The hotel was lovely, the contents of the rooms were up to a good standard. The location was great. The breakfasts were very nice with lots of selection.

The location is great.

We were on the top floor so that the ceiling is slightly slanted and since the room is a bit small, it’s not convenient to get in and out of bed.

The location is great. Bed was comfortable. Breakfast was delicious. Shower was also good.

Good location.

Our room was in downstairs and so small. The room layout there are so complicated like a maze. I was so worried if the fire might occur. Noises of showers and toilets from other rooms and voices and noise of door slumming form the corridor kept annoyed us all night and early in the morning.

Good location. Hot water of the shower is enough.

Very poor for 4*

We were fortunate to get a good rate booking in advance but we obviously got given the room to support that as it was really poor. We were in room 101 and it turned out there was an extractor fan outside the window which was going during the early hours of the morning constantly. The hairdryer they provide in the room wouldn’t work in any plugs at all. Huge rip in the carpet by the bed. Damaged headboard. Huge crack within the sink too. I was really disappointed and wish I went to Travelodge as at least I would know what to expect. I did mention to the receptionist but the feedback was ‘we’ll try harder next time’

Location and area around the hotel is fab. Reception is clean, tidy and welcoming.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

The hotel is located conveniently near the Earls Court...
    • Executive Double Room

The bed was a tiny bit too firm for my taste but I got through it. The shower stall though cute was a bit too small.

The hotel is located conveniently near the Earls Court Underground station. The neighborhood offered a lot including tons of places to eat. The hotel was quaint and cute. I loved the English tea tray that was fully equipped each day with biscuits, milk, teacups and coffee/tea products. There was also a free android mobile phone that helped me navigate my way while in London. The Handy phone helped a great deal, I was also able to make a few international calls all free of charge. The room was nicely made up everyday as well. OveralI, I do recommend this hotel.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Really enjoyed our stay in this hotel

The locations is amazing, 1 minute walk to Earl’s Court tube & all shops & eateries. The staff are so helpful and friendly, I was with my 11 year old Son & my main concern was that we felt safe, which we did. I was a bit put off booking this hotel by some of the negative reviews on trip advisor but so glad I did as can not fault this place. Yes it’s a bit tired looking but it’s very clean & my room was not big or not small, perfect for what we needed, somewhere to sleep, shower & relax after a busy day of sightseeing if you plan to sit in your hotel this is not the place for you but if you want safety cleanliness & friendly staff then it’s great.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Great location and staff. Let down by room.

Room too small to be comfortable. Walls need painting and carpet needs replacing as badly stained and ripped.

Bed comfortable.Cleanliness of room and ensuite good. Breakfast excellent and service excellent.

Thanks

Changing my booking to another hotel which was totally unsatisfactory without any choice on my behalf with the room you couldn’t even walk into the bed and had to climb on the bottom of the bed up to the top of the bed with no wardrobes

It was just around the corner from Earl’s Court tube.

Wifi was pretty much non existent. We did not get it at all during our 4 night stay.

It was just around the corner from Earl’s Court tube. Plenty of shops for what you need close by. A few good pubs within walking distance. Clean and comfortable. Caught the tube to Heathrow airport when we departed which worked well, as it was not peak time. Breakfast for £10 was great.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Gill and Jeff

Firstly put me and my husband in an attic room on the forth floor for a single person as the bed was against the wall and kept banging my knee and arms on the wall and had to climb over him in the night to get to the toilet not a good 1st night as they could nt move us till the next day.

Great location. Friendly staff. Modern and very clean. Breakfast was lovely. When in the right room it was perfect. Will definately come again and recommend the hotel to family and friends.

Clean and comfortable.

Greeted by a very pleasant girl at the front desk. Checked in quickly and easily. Room was clean and comfortable; not massive but it's a relatively cheap room in London so no point in complaining about that. Bathroom clean and everything worked well.

Overpriced like most of London!

Uncomfortable beds and pillows, thin walls meant I was woken several times both night I stayed because if other noisy guests. Room was rather small, not clean and basic facilities.

Good location, very close to Earls Court. Close to shops and a cash point. Plenty of places to get food near by including a maccies!

Renovated hotel, Good location close to the tube, Breakfast was good!

The room was very small even for only 2 travelers, didn't have enough room to place both our luggage. The safe box was on the floor, too low to reach. Did not supply soap or shampoo on a daily basis even when we've asked. we had to buy ourselves. Bathroom - glasses we plastic made and not glass made, face towel was only one at the room

The location was good, next to the tube station which was very comfortable, though most of the time we travelled about 15 minutes to a more center area of London. Breakfast was pleasant.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

The room was sooooo small my sister and I could not even fit both our suitcases in there let alone have both of us stand in the same room together. One of us would either have to be on the bed or in the bathroom to fit. Also, early in the morning we could hear staff talking very loudly right outside our window.

Great location Very clean Great breakfast options Loved that they provided a GPS phone for us to use while out and about exploring. It made traveling so much easier.

Enjoyed our two night stay very much.

The buffet breakfast cooked food could have been hotter.

The room was lovely very modern and bright staff very attentive and friendly and great location, very quiet. Would definitely return.

Perfect place to stay in London

Everything. Competitive price for a room of adequate size at a convenient location. Single room (with double bed) is at lower ground floor but still have proper sunlight. Very friendly staff.

Very good and I'd stay again in the future

Was a basement room so little natural light and fuses went when I plugged in an item but staff fixed that quickly

Very close to the tube station, good buffet selection for breakfast, very helpful staff, smartphone provided to take out and about in the city so you don't have to waste your own battery on navigation.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Expensive hotel but well located.

The room was quite dark, we were on the lower ground and there was no natural light.

We were able to leave our bags after we checked out so that we could sightsee which was so helpful. The staff were very helpful and the hotel is very well located next to Earls Court tube station.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Had an unpleasant start when I arrived at 15:30 and finish...
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

Had an unpleasant start when I arrived at 15:30 and finish check-in confirmation BUT THEN was told the room was not ready (check in time after 14:00) and was told to wait for another 30 mins OUTSIDE the hotel . Had the room then but the air-conditioning was not working at all and had another half an hour for the maintainer fixing inside the room. The maintainer claimed it was done and left the room despite I said the machine didn't sound right still. Once I went back 3 hours later into the room the same error code appeared on the display again. Went to the reception to express this total mess and annoyances but one receptionist told me it is not directly relevant to them! Finally the manager of the day changed the room for me. Problems generally solved but surely can see their poor internal management.

Location, facilities available and courteous staff.

Small size of the rooms

Location, facilities available and courteous staff. The rooms though small had all the required facilities and the comfort level was very good.

Nice clean hotel with good access to Underground and buses, shops and restaurants nearby.

I got a very small single room in the basement. Had to climb over the bed to get to the bathroom. The process to activate the wifi was complicated. An online form had to be completed to register. When sending the form, the registration process timed out. I had to try 4-5 times before it was accepted. After that the wifi worked perfectly.

Comfortable bed. Big TV. Good english breakfast buffet. Effective AirCon. Nice touch with the heated mirror in the bathroom which made it fog free.

Good location , nice facilities,friendly receptionist .

Room is relatively small ,as a girl I have no problem with it but I think it could be too small for a tall guy to manover around the single room space. I cant figure how to switch off the nightstand light at night although the reception is really nice they don’t have engineers in the evening time to check it up. I end up switch off all the electricity in the room to sleep.

Good location , nice facilities,friendly receptionist . Room is clean and very cosy

Nice hotel

Breakfast room was a bit small but no major problem

Rooms were clean and modern. Nice facilities like smart phone, great location and staff very friendly and helpful. Happy with the room deal we had

Reception staff lovely , some of the breakfast staff could smile a bit more.

Room cleaned but no refill of teas /coffee and milk, had to got reception to ask. Even though we were not due to check out until 11, the cleaners tried to come in the room at 8 o clock in the morning.

Comfortable stay in a very good location.

We were in a lower ground room which felt a little claustrophobic at times with some tight passageways to negotiate. Were were travelling with large suitcases so the room felt a little cramped but generally was adequate.

The hotel was generally very comfortable with helpful and friendly staff. Its location was really good and earned the high score for this. 3 minutes easy walk to Earl's Court station and easy access to restaurants and pubs in the area.

Pleasant
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

Placement of bedside furniture made it impossible to use the bedside plug sockets. Room needed redecorating

Staff polite, helpful and friendly at all times. Room was clean.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Proximity to Earls Court tube station makes it ideal for...

The fourth floor (attic level) room was a touch on the small side, slightly more room particularly in the bathroom would have been great.

Proximity to Earls Court tube station makes it ideal for this wanting to stay away from the busier central locations. The hotel staff were extremely helpful and room was always pristinely clean.

Flying visit to the big smoke

Our twin room was not available, luckily I was with my daughter and we didn’t mind sharing. Could have been awkward though.

Good location. A few minutes walk from Earls Court tube station but reasonably quiet.

Lovely stay

The location was perfect, just a few minutes walk away from Earl's Court station (very easy to get to different places with the underground and buses). The staff was really kind and welcoming. The room was really nice, clean and comfortable. It had every essential things you could need. AC was so appreciated with the really hot weather at that time.

Nice hotel in a good location.

Bed was a bit too hard and quite small. Wouldn't buy it for myself, but for a hotel stay it's ok.

The room was nice, not the newest, but in a good condition. Bathroom was clean. The location is very convenient, subway is just around the corner. You can also easily walk to the center.

It was okay but the photos made it look fancier than it was.

The second room had no water bottles or chocolate bar. It was very small, and ceilings were short.

I liked the water bottles and chocolate bars in the first room.

I'm wondering where the 5* reviews come from, really.

I'm wondering where the 5* reviews come from, really. It's not a bad establishment but some things need improving. 1) Housekeeping services - I don't know whether they get confused on a regular basis or what - they throw out something you need, they give you something you don't need (I ended up with 6 plastic cups at the end of my stay even though the other ones were in the plastic covering suggesting I didn't use them), they didn't fill the box with tissues or replace it, just crammed a few new tissues on the top. Either they turn on the air-con full-blast or they don't and open the window in max heat. Highly confusing. You never know what you're coming back to and I guess this is not the point at any hotel. 2) Breakfast room - very small. The food was ok (apart from milk that's gone off - you may get it some time) but the issue with signing in - come on, we're in the 21st century. Do you honestly think someone would sneak in to steal some of the food? The cleanliness of the coffee cups is also another issue - don't you have a dishwasher? The only positive is the dark-haired lady who is efficient at her job and manages it properly. 3) The room - the website says the rooms were refurbished. Maybe, but the photos say otherwise. It looks as if the staff don't understand that the rooms need constant supervision and refurbishment as required. Overall, definitely not a typical "Best Western" experience. Just an ordinary hotel I wouldn't recommend.

We stay 5 night .

We stay 5 night . From 1st day I alr tell the counter staff my room the ceiling light have a problem. She say we'll help me to check n repair . But until my check out , the light still never repair , every night I need to use thing to cover my eye . So poor service 💥💥💥

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Nice hotel.

This hotel is like a accommodation of “more than B&B and less than hotel” in a building structure wise. So, noise from the corridor can be so loud. Footsteps, door opening and closing, knock on the other door, talking.... can be very loud.

Not so many hotels have air-cons and lifts in this area. But this hotel does. So no worries to carry heavy luggage by stairs and we stayed in our room with comfort in this hot summer, thanks to the air-con. If there was a fridge in the room, it would be perfect. Breakfast was great. All of the hotel staff were very friendly. We will come back to this hotel, if we come to the uk.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Bad

First no mini bar I need to keep my baby food cold second If u need kitchen u go to looby to get the key ! No staff help u with your bags !!! Only one person only working in all hotel !! If u carry your bag by your bag why u Rate it four stars

Loved my stay
    • Executive Double Room

In the front room the street noise was very loud and the area usually had some sketchy people around it

The staff was super helpful and super nice the room was beautiful and the added amenities were worth every penny. Breakfast was good, and a very short walk to earls court which was very very handy

Great choice for short stay in London! Kind and professional staff on reception :-)

Small rooms on the 4th floor , min. space on bathroom (especially on the toilet :-))

Great location, near to London Tube. Very kind staff on reception and good breakfast. Room are clean.

Nice location and lovely staff

The room was tiny so we could open only one case at a time. BUT we can't complain for their reasonable room rate.

The location is perfect - two minutes walk from tube station, M&S, cafes and fancy pubs/ five minutes walk from huge Tesco store. Each room has android phone which we can enjoy Internet and local call for free. And the best thing is the lovely staff members they are so friendly and helpful. Thanks a lot and we will definitely come back.

Very unsatisfactory

The staff were ok but businesslike rather than friendly. The room we had was tiny and the bathroom was a joke! It may have been ok as a single but it was sold to us as a double. The bed was against the wall on one side with a small space at the other. As for the bathroom, a bath towel was bigger than the room itself (we tested it). There was just enough space for your legs between the toilet and the wash basin. At £138 for one night without breakfast - it was a rip off. Would not use it again.

It was clean

Excellent AC in room, helpful staff, good english breakfast

We didn't use it, but the lift looked quite small. We had some issues with the keycard which we had to change a couple of times because they stopped working.

Air condition in the room was excellent during these warm days. The english breakfast was very good and varied; coffee in particular was tasty. Helpful service from staff; they answered our questions professionally and helped us book a taxi home. Good location with Earl's Court made it easy to travel with subway.

Room not up to Best Western standard which was disappointing.

The bedroom was extremely small and the double bed was against the wall one side. This meant one person had to clamber over to access the bathroom during the night. There was no shelf to put a glass of water or spectacles.

The breakfast was very good and the staff were friendly

Dissapointing

Noisy. carpets were grubby. No bar or restaurant. It said there would be a bath but no bath. Refreshments not provided on last night of stay. Powerful “prison camp” light on all night to illuminate hotel signage wih no consideration for guest.

Comfortable and great location

Breakfast service could be better organised. Limited tables and space so had to wait to get seated but not too long. Some people weren't aware that you had to be checked in and we're just grabbing a table. Needs to be clearer for people.

It was in a great location 5 mins from Earls Court Tube. Good breakfast. Comfortable room.

Excellent location, 2 mins away from Earl’s Court...

The room was slightly smaller than expected, but yet comfy. Expensive for what we paid.

Excellent location, 2 mins away from Earl’s Court underground which was 2-3 stations away from all major attractions. Plenty of shops and eateries around.

Nice staffs but uncomfortable room

The mattress is very hard, also the WiFi log-in process is complicated and unstable. We could only run by our data when staying there. Not recommended for business travellers.

The hotel is only two mins walk from the Earl’s Court Station.

Very convenient hotel to the Earls Court area. Good value for money

Minor point - the room was small and on the lower ground floor, with a view onto some steps.

The location is excellent to Earls Court underground station. Breakfast was great - very good and varied selection for both continental and full English breakfast. Staff very friendly.

Very comfortable room in a very central location!

The walls definitely needed refreshments, lots of stains which clashes with the rest of the really lovely decoration. The washing products were not very good, if I had known I would have brought my own products. What is really bad is the noise. Not sure why because it looks like double glazing windows, but we could easily hear everything from outside as if the window was opened. It got really bad when a party started around midnight which fortunately only lasted half an hour, but it's definitely not soundproof. There were often smokers just on the front door hotel which is not nice when you get in or get out.

The location was very good as close walking distance from Earl's Court Underground. All the staff we met were very friendly, professional and competent. The bed was extremely comfortable. You had everything you need from a free mobile phone to wonder around London to a hairdryer. Although small, the room was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was very nice too serving English and continental breakfast.

Great location but very small rooms.

Exceptionally small bathroom. Smallest I have ever been in. You could not have even fitted two people in it.

Staff were very pleasant. Papers daily and great location

a) The rooms have everything.

a) The food is monotonous. They don't change menu at all although I stayed for 7 days. I asked for one item vegetarian food and they could not provide. b) Bathroom is too small.

a) The rooms have everything. They give you a smart phone with unlimited international calls.

Not Meeting expectations

The rooms are just too small for 2 adults. You can barely stand with 2 persons in the washroom. In the mornings, the service team makes so much noise and it seems like the walls are not isolated and you can hear every word they are saying. Really not the best hotel.

Small room but nicely appointed, very comfortable and with...

Small room but nicely appointed, very comfortable and with opening window. Fantastic location - close to Piccadilly line tube, quiet area, plenty of places to eat and find anything else you need nearby. As a business traveller, it was well priced for London. Would stay here again for work or leisure.

Breakfast was good.

Room had high ceiling window which we could not reach. Had to climb on bed to draw curtains. Booked in Kensington area as that was where we wanted to be. Hotel is close to Earls Court Station. It might be in the borough of Kensington but in Earls Court area. Convenient for trains. Hotels near by were very run down.

Breakfast was good. Service was excellent. Booking in was quick and easy

Super stay

One of the receptionist had little knowledge or advice about visiting/tourist activities like The Shard or buying tickets for The West End. Our room was amazing but a little too much furniture for its size , 1 chair would be totally fine, 3 is too many.

Ieva was amazing, before check-in around 11am she greeted us and was so happy and gave us a great welcome. When we came back to actually check in at 6pm she was still working. She was so nice it left us with a great impression of the hotel. Gadgets in the rooms, lovely touch ! I will definitely be back to stay here.

Comfortable, clean and quiet

Being in the basement, although I was upgraded to a better room because of that so that made up for it.

The Hotel was in a quiet position and great for Earls Court road. It was perfect for a stopover after a concert at the Royal Albert Hall.

everything’s amazing besides the small rooms

the room was really really small and it’s hard with even one suitcase let alone two

the staff was really nice and the location was excellent. The metro runs through the night on the weekend so great for partying!

Room was very good size and location was fine. Just wouldn’t stay there again.

Paper thin walls

We were in the ground floor as requested because of lack of mobility. All you could hear all night was some kind of water tank filling up every 20 mins. The front desk were not welcoming hence why we didn’t say anything. Plenty of other hotels for similar money would just go elsewhere.

Great location and polite nice satff

Rooms (and particularly toilets) are very small. It can get a bit noisy in the corridor and you can hear the next room's conversations.

Great location and polite nice satff

Like our hotel and staff

Room was small but had all you needed in it and you only need a good bed and bathroom for a night stay

Liked the area it was in and everything close by

Breakfast, staff was helpful, beds were nice.

Very contented

Breakfast, staff was helpful, beds were nice. food sumptuous and rooms were clean. Value for money. Stayed at 4 on this trip over a 1 month period and this was the best. Only thing missing was a mini fridge

We went to enjoy some London shows.

The room on the top floor had very little leg room on the toilet. However the receptionist kindly called to see if everything was ok, i mentioned the leg room and we were moved to another room. Happy. Lift was quite constricting - would not support two people with luggage each.

It was all wonderful! Breakfast was nice and quite varied. Room was quiet at night. Free newspapers which was a bonus. Air conditioning worked lovely. A lovely stay!

Good location and adequate facilities but hardly 4 star

Room was small but liveable, whole place feels very cramped, including foyer areas. The plug stick in the sink so ended up washing under the slow flow shower. Ended up in the basement level with no view from the window

Does what it says on the tin, rooms small but liveable. Good tv and electronic travel assistant was a nice touch.

Good option for sight seeing.

Negatives: No outside space doesn't have bar area no lounge area

friendly staff Clean room ours was small but had everything you would need bed was comfortable. excellent choice of breakfast options very good location for museums shops and tube We had booked in advance and got good deal on price Good area for eating out plenty of choice and budget options if you are looking for somewhere to drop off your bags and just get out and sight see then this is probably a good option for you

Lovely stay at the Boltons hotel...

No staff to help with luggage.

The location of the hotel was excellent, very close to earls court station and lots of places to have meals. The breakfast was very nice and the hotel was very clean.

Excellent all round.

Extremely good value for money. Modern rooms. Helpful staff. Excellent location. Comfortable bed, great shower pressure and very good breakfast. Don't know what more one could want for the money really.

Overall about from the technical problems our stay was good and would certainly go back there .
    • Executive Double Room

The electric sockets went out one morning but with a phone call to reception it was quickly remedied ,but it was a different story with the main light switch which was faulty so no main lights in our room.The last morning the lift failed and as we were on the third floor made it difficult for my wife who has severe arthritis to get down the stairs and back up after breakfast. The staff though were great and did offer assistance where they could.

The staff were wonderfull ,the breakfast room was cosy and the food very good.Our room was not big but it was comfortable and was adequate for our stay.

Ok, but the problems were offputting.

The room was in the basement with a security light shining straight at the window with ill-fitting curtains. The curtain rail didn't work properly. I spent some time trying to block out light with whatever I could find. There was a double bed with one bedside light on one side and one bedside table on the opposite side. The tea making things were in the wardrobe so I didn't find them. And there wasn't enough room to lift the tray out of the wardrobe as the space was too small. The room cost £150 for the night with breakfast, its alot of money to me.

The bed was comfortable. It was clean in all the right places. Excellent location. They stored my bag for the day. Breakfast was fine.

Excellent location, great staff but very noisy.

The street was very noisy with the police appearing quite a few times. I found the shower over the bath a bit dangerous as the bath was very slippery. The room was very small.

The location in regards to the Subway was excellent and the staff were very good.

A bitter taste

Bathroom was a joke and you had to do acrobatics to get in from the main room. Lower ground room was very noisy due to location right under breakfast area. Expected a lot more for £300.

Location in Earl's Court is excellent and the staff was very polite.

Bed was extremely hard and uncomfortable neither if us slept well.

Extremely close to underground station but not too close to her it. Although no bar in the hotel there was a number of b8ce bars nearby.

Great location and friendly staff made my stay.

The fact that my room was in a basement, oh sorry, a Lower Ground floor as they call it, with a small window, nearly without any natural light. The toilet was clogging nearly everyday because of faulty piping downstairs me think, as it started in another room and then my toilet got clogged too). The airco was set to 19C and blowing warm air, and when I asked the staff if they could lower the temp, they were unable to do it from their system..

Great staff, very helpful and always with a smile on their face.

Great location - nice staff

Well, I have to admit.. I am glad that I didn’t “needed” a spacious normal size room..I have never ever in my entire life stayed in such a tiny room. It reminded me of an underground bunker where you could seek shelter if the world would have gone crazy. The room was clean but it wasn’t a room you would look forward to return to after a busy day in the city. I only slept in the room since I was out the whole day - but still - next time around I will definitely upgrade myself if I was going to stay at this hotel. But again - the staff was great but my room would probably only be appreciated if you are a hobbit😉

Well, the staff was very friendly indeed and even though the breakfast was served in very small surroundings - it was quite good with a good variety and espressos. The best thing is absolutely the location very close to Earls Court Station and in quite a silent neighborhood.

Great stay at the Boltons!
    • Executive Double Room

The rooms are a bit on the small side, but comfortable. This is not uncommon in European hotels.

The hotel is very well situated, only a 5 minute walk from the train station. We were able to travel anywhere we wanted to go with little trouble. The train to Heathrow airport was about a 45 minute ride. It sure beat the cost of a 47 pound taxi! We appreciated the very comfortable bed after spending all day touring London. The breakfast buffet, which was included in our rate, was delicious. Menu ordering was an option as well.

Great location, never s a single room again!

Single room was extremely small. Too small with everything pacts in a couple of square metres it felt like a prison room. The bathroom was only one way in and reverse back...that small. In regards to the rate, I will never go for that again. Horrible experience.

Location was perfect

Good location .

Upon arrival we were offered a lower ground floor room , the fact that we were not aware of beforehand . It was unpleasant surprise. . After insisting , we have been offered a room on upper floor after one night .