Reviews of The Boundary Hotel - B&B 3 stars

42 Cardigan Road, Leeds, LS6 3AG, United Kingdom

#5 of 7 B&Bs and Inns in Leeds

Based on 819 B&B reviews

Wonderful stay in this lovely hotel

Tiny bathroom.

The room was really nice and clean, large enough for two people. We were close to the street and could hear the cars, but it wasnt too bad. The personnel was really really nice, and the ambiance in the hotel in general was really cool. I highly recommend it ! Beds are comfy, the bathroom is a bit tiny but for the price it is ok. The breakfast is really good and well furnished, and at a very attractive price ! It is a bit far from the center, but I was attending a conference at the university so it was ok.

Glad we were only there one night

Our room and bathroom backed on to another bathroom of which we could here everything. There was a hole in the connecting doors directly looking at the bed and bathroom on opposite side. The floor was flaking and lifting in one room. The beds in 2 rooms were dipped in the middle. The stairs leading to ours were dangerously narror with lifting loose carpet

Location, parking, value for money, delicious breakfast and...
    • Standard Twin Room

The hotel looking a little tired . But that said I still enjoyed my stay and didn’t impact on it at all!

Location, parking, value for money, delicious breakfast and very dog friendly . The staff were lovely too!

Unclean and run down.
    • Standard Single Room

The cleanliness and general disrepair of the rooms was not to be expected given the cost of the rooms. Yes, it's a budget hotel but budget does not have to mean dirty. One friend had dirt on her pillow, another had snotters on her wall and I had to deal with a hole in my towel and a particularly dirty toilet in the shared bathroom! I've stayed in many cheaper places and not experienced such poor fascilities. Didn't dare try the breakfast. Would neither recommend or return.

Attending an event at the nearby Brudenell Social Club this was within easy walking distance. If it had not been recommended for it's location I would not have selected it.

One night stay for rugby
    • Standard Twin Room

No black pudding on the breakfast!! Fuming!! Oh, and they took money off my card by accident and I have to wait a few days to get it refunded

Comfortable beds. Fantastic location

Avoid. Dirty

The shared bathroom was absolutely filthy so didn't even want to get showered after a hot day and evening out. No toilet roll all the time we stayed apart from early morning around 9am when we had decided to leave. Rooms in major need of update felt a bit like a prison cell. And wild ceiling dirty with water damage. Reception greeting very vague and didn't explain anything for my stay just gave me my key and.told.me room number.

Location to cricket ground fantastic

Great service, breakfast, parking & location but let down by tired room at this price point
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

We stayed during a Test Match so I understand there’ll be massive demand & the hotel can charge a premium, but the quality of the room, fittings & decor fell short of what i’d expect for the price. Everything was clean but very tired.

Excellent service, great breakfast & very good value, right next to the cricket ground, excellent parking, staff went above & beyond at a very busy time

The breakfast as usual was great value and the staff are...
    • Standard Single Room

We have stayed previously and were disappointed in the size of the room this time.

The breakfast as usual was great value and the staff are helpful and friendly. The location is right round the corner from Headingley Stadium so ideal for sports fans.

Basic rooms, comfortable bed and great staff.
    • Standard Twin Room

The hotel is basic but everything you need if you’re not looking for luxury. Comfortable beds, quiet room even though it was full of people going to a festival. Great staff.

Convenient location. Good breakfasts. Basic accommodation.
    • Standard Single Room

thin walls; very noisy door locks and keys - one guest was rattling around - sounded to be struggling to lock or unlock room door at 2am - so loud it must have woken the entire floor.

bed comfortable; good breakfasts, continental or full English; polite, friendly staff; great location for Headingley cricket and rugby league

Does what it says on the tin!
    • Standard Single Room

Great nights stop for the boxing! Nice clean room! Shared bathroom wasn’t a problem and that was clean! Breakfast was excellent and only £4! Or 6 for a large one! Excellent location for the cricket or rugby at headingley! Close to pubs and restaurants! Another plus is free parking and friendly staff!

Very steep stair case down to our room. Mattress was very soft - no good for me. You need two keys - one for the room and one for the front door as it is locked from 11pm. My friend was only given a room key which we did not know. When she returned alone after 11pm she was unable to get in. I think that all guests who are provided with keys should be given a front door key!

Location. Parking. Staff.

Broom cupboard
    • Standard Single Room

Was in a single en suite. Well it was more like broom cupboard. Couldnt even .ove in the shower. Uncomfortable bed and was basically in the bottom of the house. Very claustaphobic. Not worth the money.

The Breakfast was great

Great location, easy to get to via bus from town.
    • Standard Single Room

My room faced the road and being a holiday weekend, the students were out very late drinking and were horribly noisy. Nothing the staff could really do, but maybe request a room off the road!

Great location, easy to get to via bus from town. Breakfast was delicious and a great bargain. Was a sweet little single, I will be back for sure!

Value for money accommodation that served its purpose completely.
    • Standard Single Room

No fault of the hotel but it was very noisy through the night because of neighbouring parties otherwise all was as I expected for a budget hotel.

Stayed 1 night before taking part in the Tour de Yorkshire. Ideal location and the staff were most accommodating providing a safe place to store the bike overnight. Room was small but perfect considering the price. Clean, comfortable bed and tea and coffee facilities were good. Shared toilet but no problem. Very kindly allowed to shower and change after the ride even though we had officially checked out. Much appreciated.

Budget room in Headingley
    • Standard Single Room

It was right opposite the loo/shower room and the other tenants were a bit noisy. No lift - not a problem for me but worth noting - top floor up 2 quite steep and narrow flights

Location wise it was perfect for what I needed, the room was comfortable, warm, it was right opposite the loo/shower room (good and bad!). The staff were helpful and polite. Great to be able to park the car off the street.

Did the job & good location.
    • Standard Single Room

Room was in the building's basement. Although it was clean and comfortable, it was gloomy and drab - definitely only suitable as a place to crash out for the night.

Did the job & good location.

Reasonable For The Price
    • Standard Single Room

The stairs, especially to the second floor were extremely steep and could be impossible for some elderly.

Breakfast was good and I liked the fact that they charged different amounts for different cooked breakfasts while cereals, juice, toast, etc were available with all breakfasts.

Clean enough but showing age (broken sink knocked walls ) shocked at having to pay for breakfast
    • Standard Twin Room

The hotel is dated clean enough but showing its age . Our room did not have en suite . The sink that was in the room was cracked. Signs of knocks and bngs everywhere. We paid £60 for our room which was over priced for non ensuite. When we got there we found out the breakfast part of B and B was any extra £6 each. £60 with breakfast is ok but not when charging £6 extra per person. They need to drop the B and B in the title or lower the price.

The location is close to The University

Basic and functional.
    • Standard Single Room

Dismal, dated, cramped; grotty carpet up very narrow stairs; Ryanair-sized shared loo. Duvet thin -slept in my coat first night, borrowed blanket from friend for second. Room tiny and bleak (though clean) - one plastic coat hanger, student bedsit level. Car park waste ground with huge puddles. Front pretty off-putting - scaffolding and fire escapes. In a word - BASIC.

It was functional and served the purpose - I needed a cheap place to stay in Headingley. My actual room and shared bathroom were clean. Appreciated kettle, tea, milk, sink, and having somewhere to park. I didn't really meet the staff - only to check in and pay, and did not have breakfast or investigate lounge (large pinball machine or juke box put me off) so cannot judge either.

Excellent budget hotel in Headingly.
    • Standard Single Room

Soundproofing between rooms was poor.

Excellent budget hotel in Headingly. Friendly staff, comfortable room, clean and a great breakfast. Very good value-for-money.

Lousy stay
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The manager was grumpy and it was not an ideal family room near a fire exit and draughty and we had to go down steep stairs and you could hear the people in the next room which sounded like they were in our room.

Breakfast was good and the chef was friendly.

Nice old fashioned building split into rooms, creaky floorboards and lots of character. Quiet area
    • Standard Single Room

I didn’t like that the light didn’t work and there was a smell in my single room but I got upgraded so it was fine

I liked the jets in the bath in the double room and the location too

Very much budget.
    • Standard Single Room

Rooms noisy, could hear full conversation of person in adjacent room who was on phone swearing and talking about police . Filthy bath mats on floor of bathroom for whole of stay,

Linen clean.

£57.00 for an uncomfortable and frustrating stay.

This was without a doubt the worst hotel I have stayed in. I had accidentally requested a room with a shared bathroom so I took that on the chin as my own error, perhaps the rooms with en suites were in a better condition? The problems with this room just went on and on. After realising my mistake, I checked the shared bathroom which was in a great condition, although lacked soap of any kind for the sink. When I went back into the hallway, there was an overwhelming stink of stale cigarette smoke which was extremely off putting. I went to open the window and saw one of the latches was missing. The room needed some serious TLC but was otherwise clean. We went out for the day for a few house to get some food and came back maybe 2 hours later. We went to fill the kettle in the sink provided in the room and stepped in a large puddle. Already dissatisfied, I went to reception to report this. He said he was aware this was an issue and just provided me with a towel to soak up the leak. Thoroughly annoyed but too tired to argue, I returned to the room to take a nap. My bed in student halls was comfier. The mattress was thin,old and springy which made it very difficult to relax on. I will note that the duvet and pillows seemed to be in quite new condition and were clean. We got ready to go out at around 8pm and it was then I noticed the fire alarm was covered with a plastic bag. the ceilings were very tall so there was no way we could reach it to pull it down. I reported this to reception on the way out and he explained someone had probably covered it up so they could smoke in the room and assured me the one in hallway was functional and was tested weekly. We didn't take advantage of the £4.00 breakfast offer in the morning having had enough. When we checked out there was no question if everything was alright, though having been down to reception twice with complaints, I thought that much was obvious.

The shared bathroom was clean.

I paid a very low rate but the room was clean and warm.
    • Standard Single Room

I got what I paid for and what I expected. Would not make any complaints.

I paid a very low rate but the room was clean and warm. Sheets and towels were fresh and the bathroom was more than adequate. I was upgraded to ensuite upon arrival and not given the room only and shared bathroom that I had originally booked to get the cheapest rate..... much appreciated.

overall it is oke for 1-2 nights stay
    • Standard Single Room

somehow the heater in my room isn't work so well so end up my bed is quite cold

their staffs are really nice.. they really helpful and also it is very close to the bus stop where you can go to the city centre easily

Comfortable, cosy and friendly stay.
    • Standard Single Room

Using the shower in the room was a bit difficult. I couldn't manage to get hot water in one of two days of my stay (or maybe something was broken and I didn't know).

The bed was very comfortable and everything was clean. I had a nice quiet stay.

Near enough..
    • Standard Single Room

Shared bathroom far too small. Quite noisy location but not really an issue for me.

Good value and good access to public transport. Easy walk to the Brudenell. Good for gig goers on a budget.

Would stay again!

Nice area, lovely hotel, spent the night out in Leeds for my 20th, would stay here again, bar is cheap, football on TV and pool table, rooms had everything we needed, offered a cooked breakfast as well for £4!

Perfect
    • Standard Single Room

Nothing, everything was perfect!

Clean, cosy room, friendly staff, shared bathroom was spotless, great value for money, will definitely be staying again

Nothing particularly standing out
    • Standard Single Room

The bed has a narrow spring mattress. Very hard bad. Maybe I am quite demanding when it comes to bed. But I didn't like it.

Nothing particularly standing out

It's Okay, I Suppose. The Breakfast Was Great!
    • Double Room Ensuite

It could do with modernization. Approx. £60 for a night is about the same as the local Premier Inn for the same night. We couldn't turn the heating down and the window was either full open or closed.

The location was good. Breakfast was great value for £4, cereal buffet and full English was good. Bed was okay!

FANTASTIC,!

Fantastic!

I have read a few very unfair reviews on this lovely family owned B@B. Because of a problem I had to change my dates. Most hotels wouldn't have even be bothered. Here they have been fantastic , nothing was a problem....amazing. What a great way to run a nice family business. I work in hospitality and recommend them wholeheartedly .

Very disappointing.Left after 1 night but charged for 2 as booked for 2.
    • Standard Single Room

Smelly dirty hallway/public area. Dirty floor of shared bathroom. Cracked plaster ceiling in tiny room. Dirty curtain and rug in room.

Public transport links to Leeds good.

Great for one night after a gig!!
    • Quad En Suite (4 Single Beds)

Our accommodation, the quad en-suite was around the back of the hotel. We felt like we were staying in a out building away from other guests.

Nice edwardian building in a quiet location. The staff were lovely and friendly and they offer a very good vegetarian breakfast for around £4 or full English for the same price. If you have a cooked breakfast you can have as much toast or cereal as you like and as many hot drinks or oj as you want.. Just what we needed after the night before.!!! Our room had its own outdoor smoking area which was handy for the smokers in our group!!

• Standard Single Room

jail cell size room sagging bed being woken up at 5am by some drunk trying to get in to my room.. lights not working.. dirty floor floor board's chipped and broken.. door panels hanging off.. just for starters..

The room was depressing, musty smell, bedding had stains and the towels as well. Furniture was worn and needed replacing. Cleanliness was adequate, shared bathroom needs a deep clean. £85 for a room seems double what you’d pay for it.

Guy at reception was really friendly and helpful.

Cheap and cheerful

The hotel is run down, lamp didn't work in the room. Also a strong smell of smoke outside the room

Friendly staff and good location near otley road

Ok to stay for a night out
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The walls are very thin, it was very noisy in the morning, we could hear people talking, showering, slamming doors, people walking around etc. The room was clean but the floor needed hoovering.

Value for money, the room was a decent size. Towels where provided and they where nice and fluffy.

Lovely

After seeing lots of shocking reviews I was really pleasantly surprised! I had a double room which was nice and spacious, the bed sheets were clean and crisp and I had an en suit. None of the reviews online were reflective of the room I stayed in, and the staff were really friendly and helpful. I’d stay again.

very poor accommodation in good location with friendly staff
    • Standard Single Room

Shared bathroom was so small it was almost impossible to shower/dress without feeling claustrophobic. The whole place was scruffy and dated and my room smelled.

was a good location

• Standard Single Room

My cell (aka bedroom) was a roughly 8ft x 8ft room down two flights of stairs below ground level. It did not come with en-suite, as I had expected, and the room was cold (this was January) and the radiator was not working. Outside of my room there is a general smell of drains but fortunately not in the room. The room has no wardrobe and only had one coat hanger on a flimsy A-frame contraption that is designed to hang things on. I was staying for 3 days and one coat hanger wasn't going to do it. After a lot of digging around, reception found me 4 extra coat hangers. There is the one major light in the room and no bedside light but I was able to use my phone torch when the main light was turned off. There is an iron and a kettle. The kettle was initially located where it's short cable could not reach the nearest inviting plug and my first cuppa was therefore boiled on the floor. I later noticed another plug under the tv with a small table and relocated the tea making facilities there and hoped the steam wasn't going to damage the tv which was above the kettle. The bed is located under a skylight type window which is on the wall but right up by the ceiling. On the outside it is just below the level of the driveway to the hotel. Cold air sinks and having the window open became intolerably cold when sleeping. My other gripe about the room is there is no chair or desk to work at. For many this will not be an issue - although it does mean you only have the floor to place things when you undress at night. The shared bathroom is large (much bigger than my bedroom) and clean although the shower has some broken tiles near the controls. The shower has good power but takes about 3 to 4 minutes to discover hot water. On my 2nd day the water was just tepid. The towel rail is about as far away from the shower as it could be which is inconvenient.

On the plus side, the room there had 4 plugs, a comfortable bed - if a little narrow.

Would go back without hesitation

Shame it was not en suite but then it would have probably cost more .

The price was good and it had on site parking free . Near eateries in Headingly for the evening and the breakfast was good and so was the price for that. Room was very clean , basic, but functional . Shampoo, conditioner and shower gel was provided in shared shower and toilet rooms. Hotel was very warm. Tv in room and spare electric plugs for use. Kettle, tea and coffee provided. Given a key in case we returned late in the evening so no worries about getting back in.would go back

Private sink in my room, clean linens, and a cozy space.
    • Standard Single Room

There was no soap (even handsoap) provided. I didn't ask for any - maybe they had some on request.

Private sink in my room, clean linens, and a cozy space. I loved the little reading light above the bed!

Nice little hotel on a quiet street. Close to train and market.

No complaints. Steep stairs but no big issue.

Nice, comfortable older Hotel. Shared bathrooms tho, which I do not remember in the listing. All good, clean facility and great price for a can or bottle of ale in their bar.

Excellent value for the price paid.
    • Standard Single Room

Squeaking stairs and room above floorboards.

Ease of communication with staff. Location. Parking facilities. Reduced breakfast price. Room type for the price paid.

Will return and recommend.
    • Standard Single Room

Expected for the price really but: shared bathroom Ikea style fittings in room.

super priced single room. Ideal for works Christmas do at Headingley Cricket Ground. Free parking, no taxi required. I will return, now that I've discovered this it makes Headingley a realistically priced night out.

good value quiet but needs a refurb. I would go back again if the job I was on was low budget
    • Standard Single Room

The place could be a little cleaner but it wasn't dirty. a little redecoration of the halls would make a difference but the biggest thing they could do is provide a little higher quality of mattress next time they are due for change

location and price were perfect for leeds especially if you were going to the cricket...I wasn't. you get what you pay for but definitely not suitable if you have trouble with stairs as they are very steep and narrow.

Get what you pay for!

You get what you pay for, ideal if you just need a place to lay your head after extreme partying!

Car parking on site, staff were friendly. Location was good for us but not if you want to be in the city centre.

Very average

Beyond basic

Very cold and when I specified that we needed a late check in, we were told that we needed to be in by 1130. Having said that a key was collected so the guests could let themselves in.

All perfectly clean and efficient.
    • Standard Single Room

Room 17 is directly below the dining room and so was noisy, with people walking around above early in the morning!

All perfectly clean and efficient. I rather like their little bar in the front room!

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

The location was ideal for the city and to visit our student...

Quite basic for fine for the purpose of our trip

The location was ideal for the city and to visit our student daughter who is living in Headingley. Great breakfast

Easy access to city centre, the direct link to a local taxi...
    • Standard Single Room

Walls were paper thin and you could hear EVERYTHING in the adjacent rooms. A noisy group of drunken lads returning late at night/morning had no consideration for other guests and kept me awake. Showers are shared, so there were wet bath mats left lying around, which is not exactly hygienic!

Easy access to city centre, the direct link to a local taxi service so you don’t have to wait long.

Nice staff rescue an otherwise pretty dismal b&b
    • Twin Room with Shower

Walls paper-thin. Location didn't feel the safest to walk to and from alone. Whole place desperately in need of a refurb and deep clean.

Staff very nice. Bed comfortable and clean.

The sporting culture it possessed and the rooms being nice...
    • Standard Single Room

The sporting culture it possessed and the rooms being nice and clean. Being a 20 minute bus ride or 10 minute Uber ride from the main centre was also nice too.

Don't waste your money
    • Double Room Ensuite

Paper thin walls. Barely there mattress, shower only gave hot water if you had it on the lowest setting. We could hear every sound of the surrounding rooms, doors slamming throughout the night. Maybe a hour of undisturbed sleep at the most. Don't waste your money - pay a £5 more for up the road.

Bedding was clean. TV worked. Car park at the rear.

Very good value, exactly what you would expect given the...
    • Standard Single Room

It was further away from the city centre than the website stated, not walking distance.

Very good value, exactly what you would expect given the price.

Read the comments below.
    • Standard Single Room

none of the windows close/seal - letting in cold polluted noisy air (from a busy road and the Yeadon airway flight path, and no doubt during rugby and cricket matches.

The building has plenty of character.

Lovely staff and good food made it at pleasant stay
    • Double Room Ensuite

The mattress needs changing as when you move or turn over you can feel the wooden slates. Television bracket broken, and had to hold in place with an iron. No bedside lights and only one central light in the room. Tap dripping in bathroom.

Good location very friendly staff. Excellent breakfast Hotel under refurbishment and when it is done it will be great. A lovely warm room and bathroom. Tea making facilities and a bar! Easy parking.

Perfect for what we needed, very friendly staff, decent breakfast.

Beds were nice and comfy, shame the breakfast wasn't all in with the price but it was very nice all the same. Room was changed to one with a private bathroom without a problem.

Damnation road trip

Wish the showers were a bit better needs a lick of paint also curtains to block out the light

Good location great parking facilities nice cheerful staff

The best thing was the kind receptionist and the kettle and...
    • Standard Single Room

It was very cold, the wall itself, the duvet was all damp from all the moist coming in the room. At least this is in the top floor in the last room of the corridor, in a very cold autumn night.

The best thing was the kind receptionist and the kettle and tea in the room.

Comfortable stay in a friendly B&B in a great location
    • Standard Single Room

On night two, I had a snorer in the room next to me. Not particularly a fault of the B&B but I have a feeling our beds were on the same side of the wall so maybe the furniture could be rearranged so that there was more space between sleeping arrangements?

Friendly and helpful staff, clean and tidy accommodation, excellent location for work and a comfy, pleasant stay.

It was nice, enjoyed my stay.
    • Standard Single Room

Could not get hot water out of the shower so had to use the shared bathrooms which I wasn't happy about as I had paid for an en suite room Should have told the staff but I was too busy.

Room was OK, bed was comfortable, staff were friendly basically everything was fine.

We were placed in the basement room which smelt like damp as...
    • Double Room Ensuite

We were placed in the basement room which smelt like damp as soon as we walked in. Everything was extremely dusty and didn’t look like it had been cleaned. The en suite had cobwebs, mold and hair down the sink! The shower was very out dated. Would never come back here again

I’ll stay somewhere else next time

The room was cold and had to ask for a heater, the owner smelt of alcohol, room didn’t include own bathroom so had to share and we had to wait half an hour in the morning before ordering our breakfast.

Adequate for what we needed
    • Double Room Ensuite

Room had a damp smell. We didn't like being in the basement. Shower water was tepid.

Bed was comfortable and the room was clean. Reception was very helpful

Warm welcome very friendly couldn’t do enough for you !

It may have been me but didn’t realise I had to share 2 bathrooms with the floor we stopped on! but for the money we paid was more than happy!

Warm welcome very friendly couldn’t do enough for you !

Very disappointing
    • Double Room Ensuite

Bathroom door wouldn’t close Curtains wouldn’t close Walls between rooms very thin I was kept awake by extractor fan in bathroom lights from outside and occupant of next room coughing Bed was not comfortable, furniture dated, carpet looked dirty and old

Ideal location for the Headingley stadium.

Cramped room with a large dog and bed was very hard. Limited choice for complimentary, continental breakfast. Shared bathroom facilities.

Cooked breakfast was good, but not included in the price.

• Standard Single Room

Shower and toilet in corridor not in room but you pay for what you get. Be ok for group for the cricket with the bar etc. Shame cook was off sick for breakfast.

Comfortable and clean nice location good for one night stop over for work. Would be good if you was into cricket.

Ideal for my requirements. A good overnight stop with pet.
    • Standard Single Room

Room was very small and bathrooms also. However for the price of the room not bad at all.

Perfect for an affordable overnight stop to break a long journey with a pet! Wifi and location was great. Staff very helpful and friendly.

Excellent location for our needs
    • Standard Twin Room

These are not strong dislikes. Lots of pictures in room of old american stars - not to my taste. Bathroom was a little tired and toilet seat easily comes off - which is a little disconcerting. Only "continental" breakfast included in room price - you have to pay more for fully cooked which we didn't do.

Twin room was a good size. Beds comfortable. Shower good. Location ideal. Good proximity to eating places.

Filthy, run down and in serious need of some modernisation.
    • Standard Single Room

Filthy, run down and in serious need of some modernisation. Shared bathroom facilities which were awful. Stairs which are ridiculously steep and no offer to help me with my luggage up and down them. Would never stay again. I felt like I needed another shower after leaving!