Reviews of Brecon Hotel Rotherham Sheffield 2 stars

#11 of 11 hotels in Rotherham

5.5

Wouldn't go back
    • Double Room Ensuite

Shower was next to useless rooms very hot with no fans or air conditioning. Bed very hard. No clean towels provided after the initial day and no bins emptied so room wasn't really serviced throughout the stay.

Cheap accommodation and after reading reviews wasn't really expecting much but was fine as we only slept in the room

We did not enjoy our stay here

The bathroom stank of cigarette smoke every time we walked in and we could hear the conversation between two blokes in the room below until the early hours which kept us awake.

The location is only 15 minutes from the FlyDSA Arena

For a one night stay it was adequate, but certainly not for a longer period.
    • Twin Room Ensuite

Uncomfortable beds, internal phone system did not work when trying to contact friends in downstairs room (not connected) bedside light did not work, odd cups and only one teaspoon supplied.

Wouldn’t stay there again
    • Double Room Ensuite

Booked the room on booking.com and the pictures were nothing to what the internet showed you there was no bar and when you booked out you just put the keys in a metal box the only time I saw anybody was when I booked in

Room was ok

Won't stay again, no customer service.
    • Twin Room Ensuite

I stayed two nights. No room service on the second day. Resulting in no extra beverages ( only the ones already provided on arrival),no bed made, no bin emptied. I expected this as part of the stay. .I was in the annex...actual hotel locked to reception, even as a guest i would have to ring the bell outside if I'd any problems. Not an inviting place to say the least! . Told when I left to leave keys in a box on wall outside.Never saw a members of staff at all during my stay.

Comfortable & excellent value
    • Twin Room Ensuite

The hotel is being refurbished which means you stay in an annexe at the rear which is not a problem but does mean that there's no bar or breakfast facilities though so you have to go to a pub up the road if you want to have a meal or a drink.

The room was large, comfortable and clean. No complaints at all. Receptionist was very welcoming and informative too. Also very quiet.

For what I needed it was fine, a stop over before work.
    • Double Room Ensuite

The door to my room was not as secure as I would like as it would not let the latch stay on. Also, not the fault of the owner, but the guests upstairs from 11pm until 2am seemed to be walking back and forth constantly and the floor boards squeaked so it was very frustrating.

The lady that met me at reception at 8:30pm was very apologetic that the room had not been cleaned... this made me feel uneasy .. I did go to the room prior to it being cleaned to put some bags in. I did slip a 20p piece under the bottom sheet, to make sure the sheets were changed, and I was pleased to see it was removed. I also got a £5 reduction on my fee as an apology.

Basic to say the least - desperatly needs updating and not worth the cost sadly
    • Double Room Ensuite

Main part of the hotel is always locked up ( being renovated I was told but it didn't look like it ) No staff on arrival - had to wait outside till someone turned up. The accommodation block at the rear of the building seems to be mainly for contract workers. Wondered at first if I would be safe but there is a double lock on the room door Its terribly dated ( early 70's) and it smells like an old peoples home - the room was just about adequate for one night and initially looked fairly clean but very dated and quite shabby in places. No lift to the upper floor so stairs a pain with luggage The bathroom looked ok till you spotted all the short ( im guessing male hairs) still stuck the on the tiles over the bath from previous occupant - shower useless and luke warm. there were towels at least. Bed mattress was rock hard! and the radiators are so old I was awake most of the night with the noise they were making. ( upside, it wasn't cold I only saw one staff member when I checked in and no one at all when I left - told to just dump key in a locked letterbox on the wall at the front doors if no answer at door. I didn't think it was worth the money and sadly wouldn't feel able to recommend or stay here again.

I chose this hotel as hoped it was walking distance from where I wanted to be, about 12/15 mins into town centre but used taxi anyway as situated on a long road too quiet for walking back alone. There is a Tesco express straight opposite to get a drink and sandwich as no food or breakfast is included or provided although it does state that on the hotel details somewhere so I went prepared. The small TV worked and so did the Wi-Fi and there is loads of parking space. surprisingly there were some toiletries and tea/coffee making facilities and hairdryer of sorts provided

Room basic but clean
    • Twin Room Ensuite

Extra charges from the hotel for been stuck by a road closure was charge an extra 30 pounds and at 3oclock wasn't going to argue

Room basic but clean

I wouldnt rather drive back to Sussex than stay at the Brecon again
    • Double Room Ensuite

Facilities, service, attitude of staff

There was no aspect of the hotel or service that was up to a standard one would expect for £50 per night. I have travelled in the UK and Europe using Booking.com for 30 years and this ranks as one of the most disappointing hotels I have visited.

Price
    • Double Room Ensuite

No breakfast We were in an annex at the back of the main building. Noisy rooms, could hear people talking in other rooms around us, noisy floor boards, could hear people walking around above us.

Price

glad to get back to my own bed the brecon beds are really hard I could not stay more than 2 nights
    • Twin Room Ensuite

The property was nice all guests were well behaved Inside was a bit dated could do with a make over compared to a well advertised group this twin room was a bit over priced

Nice quiet surroundings the lady on duty was friendly and helpful Car park 10/10

Heaters have been turned off.
    • Double Room Ensuite

Heaters have been turned off. I had to go to reception and asked if they can be switched on again. On next day- the same situation. I think it is unacceptable.

A pleasant short stay
    • Double Room Ensuite

Just a small niggle really but a few more tea bags and coffee would have been nice, that's why we usually take some with us

Our room was spacious and so cosy.It was freezing outside but the hotel was lovely and warm throughout which was very much appreciated after an afternoon shopping braving the cold weather.We also found the owners to be friendly too,and even though we were only there one night we enjoyed it lots

Half a star
    • Double Room Ensuite

The poor water flow for shower in bathroom, floor tiles broken and moving when you walked carpet dirty and peeling off in the room by the TV cobwebs from TV to window. The glass broken in window. Tea and coffee wasn't refilled for the stay toilet wasn't flushing properly and hot water in the wash hand basin too hot no-one cleaned the room for three days and list can go on ..... I wish l had taken the pictures but not enough memory on phone Wouldn't stay there again

Very convenient for the purpose l busted Rotherham. For where the work was in very close proximity.

Wouldn't stay here again no matter how cheap it is
    • Double Room Ensuite

Empty condom packet in the wardrobe, paper thin walls so very noisy, shower was a trickle of water, I was given a room in the annex building to the rear of the hotel shown on the pictures

Plenty of parking

The worst hotel experience I’ve ever had and I use the term ‘hotel’ loosely.
    • Double Room Ensuite

The bed was terrible - very old and really uncomfortable. The shower was broken and not staying in the attachment so had to keep stopping and placing it on the bottom of the bath. The tv was very difficult to work - no instructions for how to find channels - stopped bothering to try to use it. The ‘free’ WiFi was non existent. The heating was on all night so too hot to sleep. No one on reception after 11 o’clock and we were in the annexe round the back of the main building - which appeared to be empty! The annexe was full of teenagers who came in at 4.30 and just banged all the doors - not the owners fault I understand - but there was no one that we could ring or contact to try to sort this out. As 2 women travelling together I we didn’t feel safe. No one was at the reception the next morning so we had to leave the keys in a box - with no one to discuss our issues with. We paid £140.00 for this travesty. We won’t be using booking.com again and will be telling everyone we know not to use this service. Disgusted that booking.com don’t vet their hotels. Our visit to our friend’s wedding completely ruined.

Disappointing as this used to be one of the preferred hotels in Rotherham - won't stay again
    • Triple Room Ensuite

It shows as hotel and restaurant but no restaurant supposedly due to renovation. We saw little evidence of this underway. We were put in an annex at the back. The beds were uncomfortable, only one had a valance, there was mould in the bathroom and the extractor was sticking out of the wall. I am afraid it all looked a bit tired.

would not recommend it to anyone worst hotel ever
    • Twin Room Ensuite

staff unhelpful, not very clean , very much in need of updated,, nothing as advertised, no dining room no bar, looks as if main hotel has been turned into private flats , been under renovation since 2007 poor excuse.

not much

Average
    • Double Room Ensuite

Rooms have poor showers. Some don't attach to the walls etc... Rooms could do with a better clean and modernisation

Free wifi good in certain rooms. None existent in most.

Generally good hotel and friendly staff.
    • Double Room Ensuite

No food restaurant near.Was better if the hotel can offer meals at extra cost.

Showers to improve and availablility of hot water in sinks.Povide a small fridge in the room.

It was clean and the area was nice
    • Double Room Ensuite

It was quite impersonal We stayed in the annex block at the back which was nice but we only saw the staff at check in . We where told at check in that they where doing the main building out so no rooms available in main building and leave keys in letter box outside on day of leaving.

It was clean and the area was nice The rooms where comfy and warm

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

Fine for a cheap place to stay for a couple of night - great if you feel the cold!
    • Double Room Ensuite

Absolutely baking hot, even after we turned radiators off and had left window open overnight. Too hot hot to sleep. This was a fairly standard April weekend weather-wise, so not due to a heat wave, they just seemed to have the heating on full blast 24/7

Convenient for what we needed and clean.

Don't spend more than £5 to stay here!!
    • Double Room Ensuite

There was no wifi as advertised, the bed was so uncomfortable it gave me and my partner back ache, the shower was literally a dribble and scalding hot, the tv remote didn't have batteries in so the tv wouldn't work and the building was run down and needed a good clean.

It was a good location on the edge of sheffield easy for a taxi

Not the best experience
    • Double Room Ensuite

Didn't like being charged twice, once at the hotel then again after leaving! Then it was impossible to get anyone to answer the phone at the hotel to find out why! Booking.Com are now involved to try and sort it out.

Wouldn't go back if they paid me to stay there.
    • Double Room Ensuite

The room has fags burns in the net curtain. It had a strong smell of cigarettes in the room. There was a dripping sound coming from somewhere all night.

There was a tesco extra acorss the road

We needed to check in late & reception was open til 11pm.
    • Twin Room Ensuite

Twin beds mattresses were not great. Check if you will be in annexe or not as annexe had hopeless soundproofing - you can hear the other guests in neighbouring rooms far too clearly! :(

We needed to check in late & reception was open til 11pm. :) We had twin room -good size etc.

Location good but stayed in better rooms for less.
    • Double Room Ensuite

Desperately needs updating, decor from the 70s. Old, dark wood furniture. Given room in annexe behind the hotel, ground floor overlooking car park, so could not leave curtains open. Man stood outside our window to smoke. Only there one night so did not bother asking to be moved. Receptionist could not tell us how to get to Arena or Meadowhall, 3 miles away, or where the train station was, and didn't bother trying to find out. Did not go into main hotel so have no idea as to what it is like.

Close to town centre, Sheffield Arena and Meadowhall shopping centre. Room and bathroom were clean. Bed soft and comfy.

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

Stay away
    • Double Room Ensuite

Where do I start, Very misleading on booking.com no where was it mentioned renovation of whole hotel happening needless to say we seen no builders all week so maybe we were just unlucky they were on holiday Place was dirty towels not 100% cleaned generally dirty overall, at first they couldn't find booking and guided us around back of hotel and told us food down road or Tesco across street then mentioned about renovation when you look on booking it looks lovely so they must have been stock photographs from maybe 1969 circa, no cleaner all week had to request towels and toilet rolls and lady said oh cleaner poorly today being Thursday and I said they haven't been in my room all week, no hot water looked at Thursday had one cold as was looking forward to going to get something to eat after long day and good shower but was mentioned cold , staff come to look and I can only assume it wasn't sorted as Friday morning up early to travel 180 miles home and yes you guessed it no hot water again , family I am presuming are living in main part hotel why we are all slumming it up in dire accommodation wifi there but no signal so don't waste time trying would love refund can't see me getting one once all fully refurbed who knows when I would try again possibly with upto date pictures so I can see

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

Very friendly and helpful receptionist.
    • Double Room Ensuite

A long walk uphill from the town centre, though buses were available! Main hotel was being refurbished, so I was in the annex at the back. No breakfast facilities available (may have been down to aforementioned refurbishment). Poor WiFi reception in the room, extremely slow.

Very friendly and helpful receptionist.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

Advertised restaurants which was closed, tv didn't work...
    • Double Room Ensuite

Advertised restaurants which was closed, tv didn't work and no attempt was made to replace it, only 1 cup in the room despite booking for 2 people.

Great value stop-over!
    • Triple Room Ensuite

The heating was on full, and there was no obvious way to adjust the temperature, hence the slightly lower rating for comfort.

The room was nice and clean and staff were friendly.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

Avoid this hotel at all costs.
    • Triple Room Ensuite

Arrived to be told we were in an outbuilding not the hotel. Place was dirty, beds weren't even made properly, looked like it had never seen a hoover. Light fittings missing. Springs sticking out of mattress. Walls and ceilings paper thin more like a hostel than a hotel. Host was rude and ignorant.

Absolutely nothing

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

Crap Hotel
    • Double Room Ensuite

The beds dont get made, the towels dont get changed, the shower gel and shampoos was not restocked, the shower was cold for 2 days. The matress you sank into it and it left indentations. Crap exuses on reporting to staff, poor conditions to say the least

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Very cheap and nasty. Dont stay here
    • Double Room Ensuite

Reception was very poor. All rooms were in an annexe behind the main building. As a lone woman i did not feel safe. The mattress was abput 30 years old. Very uncomfortable. I had originally booked for 3 nights but booked somewhere else after the first night. I would not recommend. It is cheap for a reason. The Brecon used to be a lovely hotel but not anymore.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Awful deffo will not be staying here again
    • Double Room Ensuite

The room was filthy the towels had stains on the bed felt like I was laying on concrete one of the pillows were flat and the other was really big and hard and didn't have a pillow case on the bed was mucky and the fb only had 2 channels BBC 1 and babe station it was by far the worst place I have ever stayed in my life

The bathroom was ok

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

clean, no fuss...
    • Double Room Ensuite

Had no way of regulating the heating was way too hot in the room to sleep properly, had to open all windows....The cleaner banging on the door shouting at us asking "when are you off, and where are the people from room 22 randomly when we were a lone couple??" ...

Room was clean, bed linen was nice and white...very quiet location at the back of the building...very secure

Avoid !!!
    • Twin Room Ensuite

Where to start with this place ... first of all I had booked 5 nights here and was thinking on the price I paid it would have been half decent .. the room was dusty the bed springs made it impossible to sleep as they were jagging me in the back .. the place was uncomfortably warm the walls were paper thin did not help there was this man staying in the room down the other end of the hall and could feel the vibration of his snores never mind the sheer loudness of it ... if the place was more sound proof this wouldn't be a problem .. also on New Years night this bunch of twats came in the room underneath us and must have had a whole speaker system cause they blared music so loud it knocked over a glas in the table .. went to reception to complain only to be given an excuse for them she said sure they are going out tonight and won't be back till 5am I then said this is not on and she said she would ring them to turn it down .. I wanted it off completely cause the walls and floors are so thin but when the music did not stop I then had no choice but to book a different hotel that night ..was totally not impressed at all with this place I would give it minus stars if I could .. for a few pound extra I'd stay anywhere else ..

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

Clean and comfortable for one night.
    • Twin Room Ensuite

Rather dated. Poorly fitted sheets that came off in the night making the bed slightly uncomfortable.

Very nice helpful staff and a warm room on a very cold night!

• Reviewed: 25 November 2016

Rubbish hotel please kindly stay away from this hotel.
    • Twin Room Ensuite

Beds are not in good condition cheap stuff. Water coming very slowly from the shower head it's like drops. Carpet is vey dirty and can feel bad smell. I would never ever recommend anyone to stay at this hotel. It's absolute nightmare. Please stay away from this hotel even it's free.

Nothing everything is absolutely scrap.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

The stay was good as far as the staff answer accessibility...
    • Double Room Ensuite

The stay was good as far as the staff answer accessibility of services but walls were too thin and I could also hear every time someone was walking upstairs

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

A NICE CHEAP PLACE TO STAY - NOT FAR FROM THE MOTORWAY
    • Double Room Ensuite

WiFi would have been good, especially as customers seemed to be on business.

The rooms were in a detached block behind the hotel well away from the main road which provided a quiet nights sleep. The room was quite adequate and above all clean. Tea and coffee, TV Ensuite with a bath/shower. Centrally heated (nice and warm) Not the Ritz but there again I did not pay Ritz prices. On arrival I was greeted by a very nice, friendly gentleman who made me welcome and pointed out nearby places to eat. I would certainly recommend it as a stop over anytime.

This is a Hostel not a Hotel!
    • Triple Room Ensuite

Worst value place I've ever stayed in. This is not a hotel. What was left of the original Brecon Hotel appears to be used privately by the owners. There is no reception service, no restaurant, no bar, no room service, no mini bar, no drinking water in the rooms and not even a vending machine. Bathroom and room was filthy. Bedding old, tired and smelt damp. Quite a depressing place to stay.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

There was no bar area or food not even breakfast stayed...
    • Double Room Ensuite

There was no bar area or food not even breakfast stayed here a few years ago and enjoyed it. Standards have slipped drastically Wouldn't stay again or recommend it

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Great place to stay
    • Double Room Ensuite

Everything great no problems stayed before just as good as ever great place to stay ideal for transport links will stay again when back in the area

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Overall was ok. Apart from few not-so-good points, the excellent staff topped it all.
    • Double Room Ensuite

- Hotel's decor is very outdated, needs modern-fresh renovation. - The water-flow pressure of the shower was very low, leading to some difficulties while taking long showers and also in balancing the hot water from the cold one due to faulty swivel tap. - Some clean towels but others weren't (had stain and dirt in it). - Spider-web on the lower part of the wardrobe. - No breakfast or any dining/eating facility despite the hotel front main-logo citing "restaurant".

- The vicinity towards my business destination point was very near and the hotel's off-street location was a very peaceful & quiet area since it was an annexed building behind the main hotel entrance/premises. - Good TV and internet connectivity. - The receptionist/front desk guy was really kind and helpful towards my requests! (big thumbs-up to him).

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Just about adequate
    • Double Room Ensuite

Shower pathetic; buildings out back cross between a 1970s house and a DSS hostel; very noisy guests downstairs (DSS folk?); weak WiFi

Friendly front of house; cheap

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

It was only a over-night stay. 45 Pound for a night is not very less , but experience is not good

Quite dirty. I think they are showing the front building as a property , but the guests are being asked to stay in a kind of flat building at the back side. It s very dull. The beds are not good. Bed sheet - did not appear to be changed. Carpet was dirty. No breakfast available (which was known to me - but still inconvenient)

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

A bed for the night but offers little comfort otherwise.
    • Double Room Ensuite

Room was too hot and uncomfortable. The shower did not work properly. Breakfast was not an option.

Just about within walking distance of the town centre but at the end of a long steady climb. On a busy bus route.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Go somewhere else.
    • Double Room Ensuite

This is NOT a Hotel/Restaurant & from my enquiries won't be again as it is occupied by private persons. It has "supposedly" been undergoing renovations for several years. This could be classed as a third rate Motel & worth about £25 a night. The beds are the most uncomfortable ever & two hard pillows. Never again.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

This a dump
    • Double Room Ensuite

There are no facility's at this hotel as the main building is closed, all that is open is the Annex. There is no restaurant, bar or any other facilities

the bed was comfy, but as there is no air conditioning or even a fan the room was too hot.

The bed was extra comfy and relaxing.
    • Double Room Ensuite

The bed was extra comfy and relaxing. It had a warm atmosphere and the hosts were most welcoming.

Lovely location in Rotherham off the busy road, quiet, the receptionist very pleasant and welcoming.

No air conditioning

Everything, good value for money.

Rubbish
    • Double Room Ensuite

Dirty sheets, undone room, rubbish reception attitude

Interesting Experience
    • Double Room Ensuite

Checking in time - No Checking in after 23:00 and no way of contacting after this time - be warned!

Convenience to work

Wouldn't go back

Cleaner rooms and a shower that worked properly. Seems like the hotel is used as a hostel.

Was close to where we were working

don't stay here

in need of refurb

Comfy night sleep, quiet area, en-suite, wifi and cheap price.. highly recommended.

Don’t stay here
    • Double Room Ensuite

Dirty, outdated, stuffy room in a bunker behind the hotel. Screaming children right outside our window and no answer from reception.

It was clean value for money and tidy all around
    • Double Room Ensuite

Could hear people coming in and out and talking in other rooms

It was clean value for money and tidy all around

Avoid
    • Twin Room Ensuite

Old and dirty and no breakfast

Value for money
    • Twin Room Ensuite

Clean comfortable and nice big rooms. Great for contractor value for money

Exceeded my expectations. very pleasant stay
    • Twin Room Ensuite

The shower is not very good

The room was much bigger than expected. Very comfy and easy to find.

• Double Room Ensuite

Annex to main hotel.. No toilet paper in toilet. No milk in room

Good location Hard mattress

My stay was good and staff dos all they could to help and make the stay good
    • Double Room Ensuite

I like the room it was clean and nice with lots off room

It was quite affordable
    • Twin Room Ensuite

Stains on sheet and on pillow Low quality service Room bit cleaned Long time to wait to speak with the reception

It was quite affordable

Suited for our requirements.

No dining facilities.

Room was very basic, but comfortable. Well situated.

Fabulous will use again if in area
    • Double Room Ensuite

It was spot on... mid January room warm...home from home... spent 2 weeks while training...

Ten friends all stopped in annexe at rear it exceeded our expectations😇

Very clean and warm

Great for younger groups of people but placed in the middle of nowhere and quite noisy neighbors

Some groups playing music through the night until 10am

Relaxed staff, great for young people

will not stay again even for free
    • Twin Room Ensuite

beds like lying on the floor room did want a go clean

Receptionist was so rud and unprofesional.
    • Double Room Ensuite

Receptionist was so rud and unprofesional..

Nice stay
    • Double Room Ensuite

Shower pressure could be better

Nice big bed and good Wi-Fi

Good

Good

Good value for money but need to sort out the creaky floorboards

Creaky floorboards on the room above - woke us up at 7.15am