Reviews of The Bull Hotel Maidstone/Sevenoaks 4 stars

Bull Lane, Wrotham Village, Wrotham, TN15 7RF, United Kingdom

#2 of 3 hotels in Wrotham

Lovely hotel
    • Standard Twin Room

Very friendly staff had a good room with a great shower. The evening meal was very nice with the chance to choose from both menus. Good breakfast and location close to the motorway

excellent location for the places we were visiting

nothing i can think of

very welcoming and large alfresco area which was good on a hot day. Staff efficient and friendly . Excellent breakfast, Dinner - the best ham i've ever had . Excellent fish and chips.

Nice location, pleasant staff but disappointing room

The room was disappointing compared with the photos on the website, the bathroom was tired and water pressure in the shower was poor. I had also rang in advance to ask if there was a fan in the room with the very hot weather and was told there would be. On arrival there wasn't and the staff couldn't find any.

The hotel was very well located for Brands Hatch. the staff tried to rectify the problems and were very welcoming.

Fantastic country pub
    • Deluxe Double Room

I thought the room was a bit on the expensive side

The restaurant in the pub was phenomenal, we ate there every day of our stay. The staff were very professional and the food and wine were outstanding.

Very pleased with the comfort of the room and an excellent 'Full English'

The 'en suite' could have been a tad bigger without significantly compromising room space

Everything but the 'en suite' in my room was a bit 'snug' for me

Business and pleasure

Shower controls didn’t make any difference to its temperature, just damn hot

Staff were helpful and quite. No banging or slamming around in the evening.

Very acceptable place to locate for business/ family visits. Staff and facilities first class.

Doors could be higher. Banged my head a couple of times going in and out of my room! But that’s also due to my thick headedness. Nothing that can be done about this, but the hotel being stuck in the middle of a complex network or motorways meant run routes were not easy to find.

The room was perfect for my needs. Lots of power sockets. Staff very friendly.

Good value for the money

Quaint old inn with very friendly and helpful staff at check in. Room was comfortable although very cramped round the bed and no dressing table or similar to put items such as make up and jewellery etc. Good bar service. We came back late from a function and had a key to let ourselves in. Breakfast was good although service a little haphazard!

Lovely old character inn, with friendly staff and great food

Room was a little small, and the eaves intruded over one side of the bed, so you had to mind your head.

Friendly staff, excellent food, comfortable bed, quiet, plenty of parking space

The staff were extremely friendly to us and very...

The staff were extremely friendly to us and very accommodating to our two dogs, especially the lovely lady who made our breakfast in the morning,superb place I would highly recommend .

Great place to stay

Lovely historic pub with old beams and floorboards. Comfortable, quiet room, with a beautiful modern bathroom and quality bed linen. The food was good and the staff were friendly and interesting. Lovely little village, very convenient for the motorway.

very enjoyable. Had a good meal and breakfast and staff very friendly.

possibly hair-dryer and tissues in room would have been nice. Only 1 milk carton left with tea things.

old building but rooms comfortable enough. Stairs and carpet on them could do with updating.

Perfect place, would definitely stay here again.

The only thing we found tricky in bedroom four was the tiny sink, it was quite hard trying to clean your teeth!

Lovely place, staff really friendly, food nice. Loved the decor and ambiance.

My partner and I stayed here on Saturday and had a really...

My partner and I stayed here on Saturday and had a really great time. The staff were fantastic really polite & friendly. The room was lovely, very clean and the bathroom was fab - very clean & modern. We met the owner in the morning over breakfast who was so friendly! We was really impressed. Looking forward to going back another time!

Great stay, pity I crashed the car but I will always go back here.

Great character hotel near to Brands Hatch where I race. We messed up the meal booking by our friends being late but the staff were fantastic and made sure that we all got a good meal anyway.

We would visit again in a heartbeat!

Nothing could have been better, it was a lovely venue.

We were looked after by very friendly staff, the room was clean and stylish, the bed was very comfortable, and the setting picturesque. I couldn't have more positive things to say about this hotel.

Great history to the hotel but needs and upgrade on facilities

Shower didn’t work on both days, out dated rooms, uncomfortable beds, over priced drinks and food, won’t be going back

Breakfast and one of the bar staff were great

Lovely ancient place, but very comfortable.
    • Standard Twin Room

Can't think of any negatives.....

Lovely ancient place, but very comfortable. The owner is personally involved, very accommodating and friendly. The Sunday roast was awesome! Highly recommended..........

Adequate but not ideal

Bathroom basin too small to be of any use. Very small bathroom which made it very difficult for a big bloke to use the toilet. Litter under the bed - 3 x bottles of water and an old chip The room was like a fridge on the first night of my stay so much so that I was shivering whilst working on the laptop. The shower took at least half an hour to actually work and once it did the water was too hot to stand under the flow. The adjustment knob didn't work.

Staff were lovely and once reported the problem with the shower was sorted very quickly. The breakfast was very nice. The bed was very comfortable.

Overall a nice place and would use again if I’m the area.

Heating in room not on when I arrived, so cold. Food a little expensive for what I had, in my opinion.

Staff very friendly and helpful. Room comfortable and clean.

The bedroom was big and airy and the bed and bedding was...
    • Superior Deluxe Double Room

The bedroom had been modernised and a great job had been completed. Just a few finishing touches required, such as a make up mirror (magnifying) and bottled water in the room for guests to have overnight. To supply a flannel in the bathroom and towels needed to be softer. All small items, but these make all the difference.

The bedroom was big and airy and the bed and bedding was lovely. All the staff were attentive, happy and helpful.

Second visit to this old coaching inn!!

Room good size with comfortable bed and a sofa. En-suite with bath and shower over. All reasonable standard and relatively recent fitting in very old interesting building. Food simple for dinner and breakfast

Business Stay at The Bull Hotel Maidstone/Sevenoaks
    • Standard Twin Room

If anything - Drinks are a bit pricey!!

Really, a very nice pub with good rooms - excellently presented. Good on site parking. Staff are professional and friendly. Relaxing pub atmosphere with good choice of meals. All round I had a very pleasant stay.

Not as advertised

I booked a double room and my confirmation showed that. On check-in I was told that as I'd booked on booking.com I'd have to have a twin room. This was a garret room and nothing like the pictures published. The bathroom was tiny and the hand towel had stains which looked like old blood stains.

They obviously don't like booking.com

Lovely ancient building, full of old beams and bags of...

Bedroom nice and warm, but toilet/s

Lovely ancient building, full of old beams and bags of character Very friendly attentive staff, both at reception and at breakfast.

Delightful.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Historic inn in beautiful countryside. DEEP tub and loads of hot water, comfortable room/bed. Delicious meals served by knowledgeable and friendly staff. Wild mushroom soup was incredible and the lamb and beef were delicious. Full English breakfast one of the best we've had. We hope to return, someday.

Okay for a night but needs a good tidy-up/modernisation.
    • Standard Twin Room

Tired, faded décor - bedroom door didn't fit, draughty. Minimal bathroom with no light over (tiny) basin to shave by. Breakfast served by young inexperienced person who didn't seem to know what he was doing - no milk with (weak) tea, no toast with cooked breakfast.

Typical old country pub with rooms. Room was available at 1.30pm Comfortable bed.

A fantastic old hotel

There was nothing I did not like my only regret is that I did not arrive earlier.

I stayed in room number eight in the oldest of the hotel, just under 700 years old. So much character. Uneven bare wooden floors. Some of the walls were original half timbered and allsorts of shapes. The The door must’ve lent 6 inches out of plumb. A lovely large comfy bed with very good duvet and pillows. Absolutely fantastic. Staff were very welcoming and helpful. I arrived late and left early so did not eat at the hotel so cannot comment on the food. Very good offstreet parking and a well stocked bar with at least three real ales. I shall definitely be back

Pleasant staff

Booked this accommodation based on the "curious brew" on draught , was told that the bar was open until 11pm. On my return from an evening out at 10:45 pm the pub was locked up so didn't get my favourite pint !

Pleasant staff Good beer Nice rooms

Will not stay again.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Expensive drinks. Bar was closed at 9:30am. Breakfast was not included in the price and was small. Asked if I wanted a drink when we arrived and charged £9 for a glass of wine the next day.

Close to Brands Hatch

loved it here

the ceilings are a bit low going up the stairs but not in the rooms so it's just remembering to duck outside.

the bed was really comfortable, best nights sleep ive had in a long time. the shower was also really nice and the toiletries lovely smelling. everything was clean and tidy adn the staff were helpful and friendly, we went down for dinner at 9pm not knowing they stopped cooking at 9pm and they still let us sit and have a meal. and the food was really nice, we had the beef ribs and creme brulee for dessert.

Romantic getaway
    • Deluxe Double Room

Really comfortable bed, excellent food in restaurant, extensive wine list and a fab breakfast. There was a function in the annexe, but although we were overlooking the car park, we never heard a thing and it didn't affect out stay.

It was a single night stay and served that purpose. The downsides were as above

There was a leak in the bathroom ceiling coming from the shower in the room above. The shower was at best tepid. The room was comfortable and clean but to describe it as "Superior" was stretching the meaning of the word.

Comfortable and clean with friendly and helpful staff.

There was a wedding reception going on in another part of the building. The disco finished around 11.15pm which wasn't too late, it didn't disturb us too much. However if we had had to get up for an earlier ferry we might not have been too happy, bearing in mind that this was a Friday night!

The cooked breakfast!

Nice place but prices don't justify the pub/hotel.

I am intrigued to know how The Bull justifies £109 per night for a room only with another £8 for breakfast. It is a gorgeous building in a lovely village but it is basically a pub with rooms. There is a wall on the landing with shelves full of linen and cleaning equipment - needs a door or similar. The shower started pulsing water halfway through and from early hours, all we could hear was water backwashing up the pipes! We thought someone was throwing a bucket of water at the window! Also the bar prices are very high. £22 for 1 large and 1 medium glass of white wine and a pint of lager! We were going to eat there in the evening but ham, egg & chips at £12.50, a steak at £25 or a dessert at £7.50 was just a bit too much.

It was a gorgeous property - really old and rustic. The bed was really comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Comfortable

I understand its an old building but I think it could have been updated especially the rooms. In our room the chair cover was ripped.

Breakfast was great value for money

Comfortable bed

The floor in the rooms was very slant, it felt very strange walking around the room. We were unlucky the day we were coming to this hotel, our dogs were refused to take a ferry, so we had to bring them somewhere, on the way our tire exploded, so it ment we might not be in time for the last boat. We called hotel to ask about cancelation policy, if we get some money returned or not. They said it's payed already and they do not refund. So we ask not to cancel the booking than, if it's payed anyway. Later, when we knew our arrival time, we called the hotel to inform them, we will arrive later than 10pm, as check in close at 10pm. We asked how to do it with the key. First the lady was not helpful and just said, not possible. After explaining this unlucky day, she said, key will be at the manager when you arrive. We arrived at 11pm, went to manager. He said, your room was sold to someone else!!!!!!! Seriously? Luckily ,there was a man who booked a room, but left earlier, so we could use his room, but as it was not ready, it took 40 minutes to prepare it. I believe it was some misunderstanding, anyway it was very unpleasant experience.

It was easy to park at this property, as the parking lot is big. Bed was big and comfortable. Bathroom was new and there was unlimited hot water. There was a heating, which was handy as it was bit chilly.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Wonderful room

I wouldn't take the breakfast buffet away when guests are still eating... Just wait a few more minutes.

When we arrived we got an upgrade and stayed in room 5, that is very spacious and beautiful. Thank you very much! We had a good night and a nice breakfast! Parking is no problem.

Reception staff were excellent, the very nice assistant...

The room above was very noisy due to guests clonky around in shoes @ 2am which sounds loud because of wooden floors.

Reception staff were excellent, the very nice assistant organised us taxi's to/from our party. Restaurant food excellent.

My visit to UK was to arrange my mother's funeral, made so much easier by such a nice hotel

The ensuite basin was a little too small!!

The bed and pillows were super comfy. My room was exceptionally clean. The staff were very nice and extremely helpful. The restaurant superb.

British Super Bikes weekend away

Would have preferred a bigger bath towels as the ones provided was not that big.

Staff friendly and very helpful. Stayed and had dinner in hotel both nights - very good. Breakfast was lovely my husband has a full English both days. If you did not want the full English they would cook what ever you wanted. I had scrambled egg on toast - wonderful. It was an excellent place to stay for Brands Hatch - 10 minutes down the road!

Still olde worlde..

Little bit more clarity on the billing on what I had paid for which was B&B, breakfast menus have an additional charge on them...

Proximity to M25/M20 off street parking & late check in. Eclectic breakfast choice. Good in room shower

What a shame!

Very poor service at the bar. Having been told the bar closed at midnight, the first night we given the hurry up to drink up at 11.30. The next night returning to the hotel with friends after a show at 10.55 , We were told the bar was shut and It closed at 11.00. When explaining to the barman it was not 11.00 and I was a resident this made no difference he said the tills were closed down. Ridiculous, livid. No creativity or customer service which tainted the whole experierience. What's wrong with making a note and adding it on the next day. Customer service training required with a major hospitality transplant. Would not return or recommend because of this inflexible service. Owner advised the next day. To cap it all on return home found the cost of the room had been taken from cc 3 days before arrival no problem with that but overcharged by £20.00 so not happy and more contact with hotel required.

Excellent breakfast

Beautiful place
    • Deluxe Double Room

If i had to pick something, The pillows were extremely soft and almost not worth laying on

It was a lovely friendly stay. The food was amazing and the staff couldn't be more helpful!The starters were definitely the best part of our meal.

Average

Arrived earlier than anticipated, was told could be checked in within 30 mins, only to wait 2 hours Had booked a single room double bed, only to be placed in single room with two single beds Wifi constantly was disconnecting Found quite a few moths in room fluttering about

Dinner was nice, bang for your buck Staff were pleasant apart from a lady who come out of reception door, went to ask her a question, she said nothing, rang the reception bell and walked off, found it very rude, later found out she is one of the owners Julie who works there went out of her way to help me with something in her own time, she is a real gem

Good but not fulfilling its potential

Overpriced for what it is. It's a lovely old building with huge potential but the décor is tired and dated and needs upgrading to better show of the wonderful old features that it has to offer. Also an outside extractor fan was very noisy and affected our sleep

Staff very friendly and helpful. Most of the food was good.

disappointing...must ask more questions next time
    • Standard Twin Room

the en suite was bijou...sink silly size....no shelf under mirror...yes there was one over the toilet ??...2 beds 1 chair ??.......put us on the top floor and the stairs were a nightmare for my wife with mobility problems.....in all fairness when we were leaving the young lady asked us about our stay and I told here the above .I was going to say nothing and said so but she gave us breakfast

very clean room

Staff were welcoming and room was a good size and not too...

Being over the bar was obviously a bit noisy but all was quiet well before midnight

Staff were welcoming and room was a good size and not too hot - given the warm weather.

The historic pub and some of the staff were lovely.

Two of the staff were outright rude, and not just in an "untrained" way. The service at check-in was appalling... when he couldn't find my reservation he proceeded to read out all of the names of all of the other guests to me out loud, despite my protest that this wasn't right and that he can do this silently. Awful! If I say I have a reservation under the name of Mr BBB, I do not need to know that there is also a Mr XXX, Mr YYY and a Mr ZZZ. Aren't there any laws against the protection of client information? He was then completely overly familiar in his manner, and left an awful impression. In the restaurant, while the food was good (modern-standard pub meal), and now of the waiters was truly excellent, another was so appalling it was untrue. Does nobody care enough about client experience these days? Do younger staff not understand that clients are not there to serve the staff? The food is simply not good enough to overcome the really poor service. Root these people out and fire them before you destroy your business.

The historic pub and some of the staff were lovely.

The Bull Hotel- Ok to get your head down

No outside garden or outside area to relax. No views as such. Decor tired and rooms dated. Our room direct on main road so quite noisy.

The staff were excellent. Welcoming and couldn't do enough for us

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Mixed!

My real bugbear was the particularly high charge of £20 for a single night for a dog - that is not dog friendly! That is set at a level to deter you. It made me think that I should have let the dog sleep on the bed just to get my money's worth. When I arrived no one answered the reception bell and when I asked a passing member of staff instead of them going to find someone they told me to ring it again. Overall, could do better.

The place definitely has character and charm.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

Good old fashion service - with lots of history within hotel.

From the moment we arrived we were welcomed by Stacey, easy to park, room was great, history within hotel was wonderful. Breakfast was very yummy. We travel all over the world and its nice to get good old fashion service! We will be back.

Great place to stay, will be back.

This is a lovely hotel in a great location. Very quiet but near a number of attractions. Staff were great, ate in the restaurant and had an excellent meal which was reasonably priced. Slept very well. Very nice room with character.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Very traditional hotel with great history.
    • Standard Twin Room

The only thing I would quibble with was that the pictures on the website were flattering. Our room was a bit disappointing from the pictures seen on the website.

Very traditional hotel with great history.

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

Excellent food,room clean but not comfortable
    • Standard Twin Room

Unappealing reception area and stairway to attic room 10. Exposed pipe work and holes in plasterwork. Room had no dressing table lighting, only one chair, no telephone, no bedside rugs. Paintwork poor on window frame - not in keeping with 4 star rating. Have had better in average b & b. Other rooms look much better on website.

Excellent evening dinner and breakfast

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

Lovely setting and local history but let down by unexpected extra charge for breakfast at £8.

Ceiling insulation very poor. Snoring and grunting from upstairs accompanied by noisy bathroom fan on needlessly long timer. Wine in the bar is very expensive. Bring your own!

Nice bed in room 4

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Great staff and food.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Nothing. Recommended already to family and friends

Food amazing and very friendly staff. Hotel is 700 years old which adds real character - not a straight line anywhere.

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

Food is delicious!
    • Standard Twin Room

Tired looking outside and inside, paintwork dreadful, carpet in hall and stairway plus upstairs has seen better days. Poor bathroom. Tiny sink.

Food is delicious! Great chef!

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

Recent stay at the Bull Hotel

All bedrooms were very cold upon arrival. The rooms were clean and tidy, but bedlinen in our room was poor and unfortunately there was a water leak through the ceiling from the floor above.

The food was amazing! From breakfast, through to dinner it was lovely and very well presented. 10 out of 10 for the food and chef! The staff were very helpful and friendly and made sure we were all looked after well.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

Small friendly country hotel

The first morning we had to wait half hour for tea, hot food came out first!

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Smokehouse beef was delicious. Our little dog was made welcome and able to eat with us in the bar and at breakfast

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Don t hesitate to book

I couldn t fault it.

Cosy, old pub in a pretty, village. The room was warm, spacious and nicely furnished with a very modern bathroom. The English breakfast was perfectly cooked. Quality wines at the bar, comfortable sofas and helpful staff

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

Hotel not good but Bar and restaurant good.
    • Standard Twin Room

It's the Hotel part that in my estimation needs to buck up. the booking in and getting to the room. The room I was given was in the attic the shower room and toilet were so small you could hardly move around. if you went to the toilet it was a case of flushing the toilet and then waiting for the cistern to fill up again as one flush is not enough. the shower if you can fit in is useless the water just dribbles out. I certainly would not stay again but I would use the bar and restaurant.

The Bar Staff and the lady who served breakfast were great, The bar area and restaurant are good.

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

If your in the area & need a place to stay this is the place, good food, pleasant staff.

appreciate its a very old building, our room was directly above a function room where there was a party till midnight, after that we were able to sleep

No complaints except late night noise

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

Lovely staff.

Having to pay £8 each for breakfast. Cold shower and knob came off in hand. Could hear people in next room. Expensive for small double with cold shower.

Lovely staff. Spotless and nice crisp sheets. New member of staff couldn't do any more to please.

• Reviewed: 25 November 2016

lovely old pub with great a ambience in a very pretty village.

Broken side lamp with tatty shade. And there was only one. Different blinds at the window as we overlooked the car park

Delicious breakfast. Best poached haddock with poached egg I've EVER had. Even in London.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

A very nice, old country inn.

The cooked breakfast was a bit small for £8 (resident price). Non residents will pay £12.50 - definitely not worth it.

Room nice and big. Lots of pillows on the bed and a nice thick quilt. There was a mobile oil radiator that you could plug in and position for that extra bit of heat on a cold night. Staff were very helpful and the inn was kept very clean.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

Perfect for romantics of all ages
    • Deluxe Double Room

Bigger bath towels would be nice.

Lovely location. Spacious, clean, comfortable room. Friendly and attentive staff. Good food and excellent breakfast. Highly recommended

Typical village inn
    • Standard Twin Room

Room was dated and shabby, beds uncomfortable Limited choice of bar food if you don't want barbecued

Friendly staff and a good selection of beers on tap

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Room was quaint and spacious.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Food was very disappointing and way too over priced. Staff however did respond to our complaints. Maybe because there was a wedding catering was stretched?

Room was quaint and spacious. Liked the fact they rang to pre warn us of a wedding happening a few days prior to our arrival. However this could have been done just after we booked as I'm sure the wedding was already booked as we only booked a month before

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Friendly welcome, excellent breakfast, very modern and...
    • Standard Twin Room

An obstreperous customer making a fuss caused a slight delay in breakfast - I was more embarrassed for the staff than upset!

Friendly welcome, excellent breakfast, very modern and spotless bathroom.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

We'll worth a visit 👍

The shower room is very small, the shower it self had extremely low water pressure. No good if you want a quick freshener before going out

Very clean room and comfortable bed. The food in the bar was excellent as was the breakfast.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

Staff are polite and helpful.

Feels like it needs some serious renovating. My bed was uneven (due to the old floor); bathroom was tiny and kept whacking my elbows on the walls and cabinet; shower floor-pan almost overflowed; felt cold. Generally needs some major TLC.

Staff are polite and helpful.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Nice surroundings, good location for what we needed, close...

check-out was not exceptionally helpful, wanted a invoice split between two rooms but ' it was not possible' Didn't like the rooms charged before we arrived, fine they have the details if there was a 'no show' but would have prefered it all to be charged on departure. Guess I will have to check the hotel policy more closely next time

Nice surroundings, good location for what we needed, close to main roads, but still off beat enough to be quiet overnight. Food & drinks to a good standard.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

An old buildîng whose adaptation was restricted.
    • Standard Twin Room

Considering this was highly rated for its food it wasn't evident on our visit. Runny scrambled egg at breckfast didn't impress and i can't understand why chips need serving in a small metal bucket and the meat and veg in an enamel tray that you would use for camping.

Every thing was good but could be better.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Just about OK for one night

The decor and furniture are shabby. Struggled to find accommodation in the area so we were pleased to find this although we didn't see it as great value for money

Bathroom was fine but the room and the accommodation side of the pub are quite tired. Enjoyed the food and beer.