Reviews of The Carlyon Bay Hotel 4 stars

Sea Road, St Austell, PL25 3RD, United Kingdom

#2 of 5 hotels in St Austell

Great hotel. Full of class. Very warm welcome from the lovely concierge. Reception staff were very helpful and friendly. The room was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. Food in the restaurant was great and lovely decor. Fantastic views and lovely gardens to sit and relax in. I shall be returning.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The view from our room (104) was spectacular! The bed was comfy and the room was a good size. We had drinks at the bar and dinner in the restaurant which was lovely! Although my partners lobster was a little small :) The staff were amazing and so helpful!

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

SPA services our rooms were located above the power compressor ( 118, 119) and were very noisy at night

We love this property that much that we are coming back after just 3 weeks for another visit. 2 small complaints: 1.our rooms were located above the power compressor/ a/c(?). Really noisy. hotel was fully booked so we couldn't be moved to another room. 2. The SPA didn't meet our expectations at all: noisy rooms, close to both pools and to the spa reception area (you can hear customers cell phones, kids laughter and so on while getting your message). No rituals, just a simple short message, really nothing special. For a hotel of this level Spa services should be reconsidered and updated.

The bed was incredibly uncomfortable and I could feel the springs in the mattress. However after I mentioned this to reception they were very helpful in switching my room (to a much nicer one!). I did in the new room still find the mattresses very soft which is not my personal preference. On the Friday night the beach was over run with teenagers from 7pm, if you want eat elsewhere apart from the hotel you need to drive.

Excellent pool, facilities and view.

• Double or Twin Room

The room was super noisy! First night we had the band playing just under our room but it seemed that it was in our room. In the very early morning we could hear everything was happening in the aisle like people who slam the door leaving the room, or the morning news from the next room's tv, the grass cutter under the window, and the last day they knocked at our door at 8 am even if the check out was till 11 am. When we paid they told us that it was stupid to book on booking.com because if we called them instead we could have had a better room for even less than we actually paid for ours. They charged us for a 20£ drink that we never had the night before. We had lunch at bar before leaving (2 sandwiches and a bottle of water) they charged us 84£, my boyfriend paid without looking at the amount, and when I saw it I asked again for the receipt and of course was 47£ and not 84£, so 2 times in the same day they tried to make us pay more! Maybe it's because the average customer is not that young, and maybe he doesn't double check, so they have this policy to always try to cheat because it usually works! In the end they are not honest and it's too expensive for what they offer!

The location is beautiful

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The noise was unbearable coming from upstairs, but not he hotels fault, just inconsiderate guests directly above us.

The bed was the most comfortable I’ve ever slept in. The man by the main door ( very tall guy, sorry didn’t take his name down) was an extremely professional gentleman, he was so helpful and was just the type of person that makes ones stay worthwhile. He needs to be acknowledged for being that good.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Superb staff and hospitality. Beautiful location. Slightly old fashioned but in a very nice way. Superb and comfortable bed. Complimentary golf on an good course. Excellent cuisine in both restaurant and bistro. Wonderful grounds, beautifully maintained, with plenty of activities.

• Double or Twin Room

More care should be taken over vegetarian or dietary needs, e.g. you cannot put just one server for cheese and hams.

Attentive staff from Concierge through to Pool. Classically trained. Impressive. Chef plated the eggs at breakfast, therefore they, and the buffet were neat and tidy.

When booking, look for a package that includes breakfast. We didn’t and we would have had to have paid £18 per head for breakfast. There were three of us, over 2 days, that would have cost us £108. I think the cost was a bit ‘steep’. That’s an awful lot of sausages, toast and coffee to drink to get your monies worth. We found a couple of lovely cafes down in Fowey instead. Apart from that, a lovely hotel.

Beautiful location. Hotel very clean and staff were very nice. The spa was very good, very clean and the staff in there were very helpful.

• Single Room with Sea View

Despite being on the second floor (room 208) and looking out across the sea to the next land (Spain?), the adjacent room (207) had a window from which the bed area of room 208 could be viewed such that curtains could not be left open. There needs to be vertical blinds or at least net curtains provided to ensure privacy in the potential six(?) rooms affected by the hotel’s unfortunate design. The only other thing was the weather was poor (April showers) so there were few opportunities to use the grassed outdoor areas for relaxation.

The location is extraordinary, everything to be expected of a four star hotel. Breakfast was super and the view from the room great.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Check-in was bizarre, being treated as an unvalued/unwanted booking.com customer. The first question was to pay upfront, due to having booked with booking.com. This has never happened before! The bathroom was rather last century standard, the bed extremely soft. At dinner, we had to sign for a bottle of water immediately, though no signature was required for the food (which ended up with a wrong invoice). To much “we have to follow this procedure”.

The view from the room was ok. The decor of the restaurant was rather modern.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

It was my Mom's birthday - a special or nicer placed table for dinner would have been appreciated and/or some flowers in the room for example.

Staff very efficient and friendly

Rooms were very very noisy. Really thin walls and ceiling/floors, got woken up the first morning by an apparent herd of elephants on extremely creaky floorboards in the room above, and the second day we got woken up by the room next door’s conversation and music blaring at 7am. This really is an issue that needs addressing. We could hear every single word being said in the room next door and when their room door closed our room actually shook and woke my sister up too. We were also given a room right next to the housekeeping cupboard so we’re disturbed constantly by the sound of crockery being rattled around. As we left my sister said she couldn’t wait to get home to get some decent sleep. I found out we were given a sub-par room because of booking through booking.com. Wish we had been alerted to this earlier... Spa facilities good, though nowhere near enough sun loungers for everyone. Gym really needs an update. It’s TINY, smelly and equipment is rusty and broken. Couldn’t fit more than 4 people in there.

Staff were absolutely excellent and the food was delicious (if a little pricey!). Beds were comfortable.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Sea View

booked a family room to house me my wife & my 16 year old daughter, as advertised through booking.com, contacted 2 days before we were due to arrive & told the hotel would not allow 3 of us in a room so we had to spend an additional amount on a separate room for my daughter.

Nothing, the trip was ruined by booking.com & the Hotel

• Small Double Room

Our room was extremely cold when we arrived. We had to wait a few hours before it warmed up. When we complained they did not change the room but rather mentioned that they would speak to management therefore forcing us to stay in a freezing cold room for some time. The location of the room was absolutely terrible. The room was located across from the Housekeeping supplies room which resulted in so much noise in the early hours of the morning due to housekeeping constantly using the room to access supplies. We were woken up early and could not enjoy our morning. When we tried to get recommendations from reception for places, restaurants and things to visit in Cornwall and I was directed to a room which has some information regarding tourism in Cornwall. There is a reason I ask a local and not look at pamphlets, otherwise I would have just googled it myself. When we spoke to the Manager at check-out and gave feedback regarding our stay she implied that our bad experience was due to us booking through booking.com rather than through the hotel. Taking no ownership of the bad experience we had and blaming the poor location of the room on booking.com as a site that doesn't offer the best rooms. She did not address any of the other issues and did nothing to rectify or make up for this horrible experience.

Service at Breakfast was poor. Had to wait until I'd finished my cereal and cooked breakfast for someone to come along and offer me Tea/Coffee - 20 minutes! Then I had to wait a further 10 minutes for the toast which wasn't offered, I had to request, to arrive.

Not so much what I did not like but I think the Meal Options could be improved. The Restaurant was Fabulous however Fine Dining every night can be a little to much not to mention expensive when you are staying for more than 1 or 2 days

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Could have waited until we had both finished eating before clearing plates. Had to ask twice for our newspaper that wasn’t delivered to our room. Ordered a soft pillow but it didn’t arrive until I asked a second time.

The croissants were the best I’ve ever had! All the food was top class.

• Double or Twin Room

Reception staff, not all but could do with little extra training on customer service. Single bed in twin room very narrow, although comfy and excellent quality bedding.

Staff very professional, friendly but not intrusive. The spa area is fabulous!! Hotel decor very high standard as is maintenance throughout. Evening meal esquite in the restaurant, lunch in terrace bar fab, locally sourced fish, and the breakfast good quality, what more do you need!!Overall this is a well cared for charming hotel.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Sea View

AT check in it became apparent that we had inadvertently selected no meal option, the reception was crowded and we had to embarrassingly negotiate a significant reduction on the per person breakfast rate of £18.50. We got it for £10 per person. It should be made much clearer since an alternative venue for breakfast is at least 2 miles away!! We discovered that the hotel had all inclusive rates to include dinner, B&B which would have saved us over £150 on the trip. Not a good result booking.com

The hotel has a fantastic location and wonderful sea views The staff are very helpful and friendly The leisure facilities were excellent

• Double or Twin Room

The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The views from the rooms are to die for. This is the perfect spot to travel around Cornwall, with St Ives less than an hour away by car. Overall, the hotel has something for all, from swimming, golfing, walking and relaxing. 10/10 to the chiefs- fine dining at it’s best!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Book up in advance for treatments in the spa, gets booked up pretty quickly. Creaky floor boards above you in your bedroom. Thin walls too

Superb buffet breakfast, ask to be seated by the window overlooking the bay!! Stunning views!! Loved the sea facing rooms, ask for rooms 111-106!! They are deluxe rooms with chocolates, flowers, dressing robes, slippers, coffee machine. Go to the pool after 5pm, much more quieter, no need to take towels to the pool as they have them there. Complimentary round of golf included in your stay. Huge compliments to Laura the waitress who works in the bar area, she needs a promotion!! Professional, assertive, friendly, excellent customer service.

• Double or Twin Room

On our last morning the dining room staff were not as helpful as they usually are

Excellent location, wonderful inside pool. Rooms although small very comfortable. Food excellent.

Restaurant knew I had an intolerance to onions and garlic as I mentioned this on the 1st evening, I went to a different restaurant the following evening and as I gave my room number the lady knew I couldn't eat both onions and garlic however when I received my meal it contained onions. Just annoying more than anything as I had to pick them all out and I did suffer with a poorly tummy in the evening

Staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble

• Small Double Room

Although we had a very nice room, it was often too hot, so the windows were left open day & night & sometimes we just had to lie on top of the bed. Due to it's location near the pool(s), there was a strong smell of chlorine.

Staff were so friendly, helpful & very professional. Food was fabulous! Great facilities, in particular the pool & jacuzzi. Room was stylishly furnished & had a very comfortable bed. Location was lovely. Good base for exploring other parts of Cornwall. Wish we could have stayed longer!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Sea View

there is no exect size of the room - I dound that the size indicated on booking .com is correct 12m2 is for sih hotel......

due the hotel chek in time is 15:00 the guest was able to check in and relax at 11:00am already

• Single Room with Sea View

SingleRoom facilities always leave me feeling shortchanged...the bed was uncomfortable and the mattress sloped so I spent the night trying not to roll out of bed.

It’s such a lovely hotel, with fabulous views of the bay and excellent facilities. Very traditional and old fashioned values quite evident. Lovely decor and friendly atmosphere. I spent a good two hours in the uncrowded and sumptuous spa.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The double bed was 2 single beds put together. The duvet was too small for the duvet cover The WIFI was really quite slow.

The staff were more than helpful and welcoming. Restaurants served excellent food. Spa was good.

• Single Room with Sea View

a real snap shot of a England i did not think existed any more,a very unpleasant atmosphere ,cold borderline rude guests who i got the impression were not very happy having to rub shoulders with the riff Raff,lovely staff,fantastic facilities,beautiful location but wild horses would not drag me back their.

facilities,staff,rooms,golf course,excellent value for money.

• Single Room with Sea View

Despite having locked the door, at 8:30 in the evening there was knock at the door, followed immediately by housekeeping barging into the room for "turn-down" service (itself an absurd affectation, and an utter useless intrusion). WiFi was worthless: on the rare occasion that it would connect, even simple web pages took minutes to load. Several dozen TV channels, but none of the news channels (BBC, Sky, etc.) could be tuned in. Bathroom exhaust fan made a loud racket, but didn't seem to actually function. Shower (tub) was clogged. The tissue box had three tissues stuffed in it, but was otherwise empty.

The sea-view room delivered the promised view.

• Single Room with Sea View

Single room was adequate but small, the view and outside space made up for it.

Lovely hotel had a great sea view and balcony, outdoor and indoor pools both great and good spa centre. Service was first class from arrival to departure, main bar and lounge very smart with excellent service.

• Double or Twin Room

Bar service could be better.

Did not try the croissants as I rarely eat them, otherwise the food was very good(breakfast and dinner) The bed was comfortable and room, en suite very clean and well maintained.

• Double or Twin Room

The weather! But not much they could do about that!

Loved the room, bathroom was very decent and the air con worked properly. Room service was excellent and dinner was great too down in the restaurant.

• Single Room with Sea View

No offer of help with the luggage although my sister walks with the aid of a travelator

Really attentive and friendly staff and lots of thought put in to the little extra sundries.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

In the Bayview restaurant there were some separate tables and chairs which were nice, but some tables were supported by long padded benches which made you feel too close to the next couple and they were not comfortable to eat from as they sloped back, making it difficult to reach the table.

Although the hotel was full it was fairly quiet during the day and really quiet at night. There was a good selection of restaurants on site and food was of a high quality. The staff were wonderful and nothing was too much trouble. We were always warmly greeted. It was very clean and they seemed to have an ongoing maintenance to keep their standards high. The spa area was very welcoming and the pool was lovely and warm and the area well kept.

• Single Room with Sea View

Mattress is a little worn could do with a change felt like I was sleeping in some else's bed the way it was shaped. But had a pleasurable stay.

Love this hotel when ever I get to work away I always book here. Beautiful views cosy room love the big box of teas, hot chocolate & coffee with biscuits. Very clean and welcoming. This stay was room only but I have food here in the past and really do go the extra mile.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Bathroom was very very poor for a superior room I have seen more luxury in a hospital bathroom. A bog standard white suite with a very old shower over the bath and only a shower curtain no shower door. Breakfast was very poor as well. We were all squashed along tables at a bench while all the good tables were left vacant for guests who had requested them at dinner the night before!! Standard buffet with a 'chef' on hand to dish out pre prepared eggs to give the impression of it being freshly prepared. Extra charge for any deviation from the buffet.

Beautiful location. Really nice room. Great food. Very handy location for visiting Heligan and the Eden Project

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

On arrival was asked to pay all of our bill upfront by very unfriendly receptionist,when we queried this she said it was because we had booked with booking. com at this point we hadn't even seen our room. We arrived at2:15 and was told we would have to come back at 3:00 receptionist didn't check whether room was ready or not,As it happens nobody had slept in room previous night.we departed one day early and explained everything to a different receptionist who very kindly refunded part of our bill unfortunately it didn't totally make up for our treatment on arrival

Bed very comfy.Breakfast food good,waiter very slow in bringing tea and coffee, several people were complaining

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The room was too hot. There was banging outside the gate to pool side wasn't closed properly.

The steak was excellent & the staff were very helpful

staff, food, grounds, surrounding area, pool, entertainment ...... everything superb! have stayed at a lot of hotels and the service provided at carlyon bay exceeded all expectations. whether going with family or on a romantic trip, this would be a perfect get away. the doorman always handed my son beach toys which was soo kind of him! the sea view rooms have a lovely view but are expensive.

• Double or Twin Room

The room was quite small and the staff although polite seemed uninterested.

Good location, has a golf court and an outside and indoor swimming pool and easy access to Carlyon bay beach. Overall clean hotel

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The food was not good at all, some of the breakfast pastries were not fresh and tasted old, I found insects and a spider in my breakfast fruit and when I asked the staff if they had washed the fruit, they told me the insects had come from the window,I was not impressed with this. The spa was not a relaxing space. The stay was not very enjoyable especially for the amount of money we had paid.

The inside of the hotel is pretty but the outside does not match, We had a sea view room which was nice

• Double or Twin Room

HAD TO CHANGE ROOMS FOR 2ND NIGHT . THE BEACH LOCATED NEXT TO PROPERTY WAS UNKEMPT WITH NO FACILITIES.

BREAKFAST & MEALS REALLY GOOD STAFF FRIENDLY . EXCELLENT LOCATION FOR COAST WALKS.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Poredge not perfect, no Professionaì service people, cleanliness around the hotel not optimal, a lot of small things they shouldn't be for that offer, value for money doesn't fit, Sauna, indoor pool, gym has potential for development

Bed. We needed to leave the hotel earlier. Very kind and no additional fees. Even the nights we didn't stay were not invoiced. Great thank you

• Single Room with Sea View

The hotel is ideal for families with children. The rooms were a bit noisy, you could hear people / children running and walking above and either side of the room. Children playing in the Hot Tub, indoor pool. Personally I would have liked the Spa to be child free.

A golf course attached to the hotel. Spending time in the Spa was great, I had a wonderful treatment.

• Double or Twin Room

felt rushed at dinner times and some staff who work mornings need to learn to smile .

enjoyed the spa facilities and little touches like choc left on pillow each night, new bottles of water each day. some staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

Leaving!!

We are regular visitors, the staff are exceptional! You can tell that they are proud to be there and are well trained ,knowledgeable and friendly. Recent refurbishments only enhance a fine hotel. Spa is seldom crowded and the out door pool heated. Food is great value and excellent quality and only £25 pp for 3 courses. Great breakfast. Beautiful views of the bay from the terrace and a great cocktail list!! Try the Pol-dark! We will be back.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Our room had brilliant seaviews but was the smallest we ever experienced in all our travels. The bed was very short. The bathroom matched the small size of the bedroom. My wife missed a cosmetic mirror which again is pretty much standard in good hotels.

The hotel has a great location and the food was very good and good value for money.

• Double or Twin Room

Drinks very expensive. 1 table in the restaurant far too near banging kitchen door. We were moved when I asked. Very pricey for b and b.

Lovely views. Very well maintained. Very clean

• Single Room with Sea View

Welcomed by the porter with a smile, reception quick check-in, room & spa spotless as always, huge breakfast selection with plenty of coffee and tea, overall a relaxing and memorable stay. Wish I could have stayed longer ;-)

• Single Room with Sea View

Staff on the pool reception could have been more helpful, nobody explained signing in, or where the showers were so you could use before going in the pool. Guests smoking area was right under my window and as it was hot I had the window open but everytime somebody lit up I had to close the window, luckily it was raining so only a brave few went out.

Great location, lovely grounds, beach very close. Breakfast very good with fresh fruit and great coffee. Inside pool and spa nice to have as weather was not outside swimming weather!

• Double or Twin Room

Unfortunately no air conditioning and we stayed on the hottest day in June.

The room had extremely comfortable twin beds. The room and bathroom was up to date, comfortable and very clean.

• Single Room with Sea View

We booked two rooms with a view but only one of the rooms had a proper sea view, in the other you had to squeeze yourself between a wardrobe and a chest of drawers to be able to see it. It’s not acceptable to charge extra for that. The hotel was probably something extraordinary in the beginning, with a lot of celebrities visiting. Today it's old, tired and in desperate need of some refurbishing. However, the staff is still acting as it was in its time of glory, very snobbish and with shown disinterest in their guests; with a few clear exemptions. There is a lot of potential in the hotel but the hotel needs more modern thinking and more heart. A couple of examples; apparently, there's some kind of dance at the hotel on weekends, the music was so loud that I could sing along in my room. Preferably guests, not staying at the hotel to attend the dance, should be placed in rooms further away from the music. When I called down to the reception to ask very politely how long it was going on for, so that I could mentally prepare for how long I was going to be awake, I got a very harsh reply. And when I tried to say something else she just hung up on me - I guess she had gotten that question several times before. In the morning when we were packing up our stuff to travel on the cleaning lady just burst into the room without knocking. And I guess this is more of a rule as we were in different rooms on different levels of the building and it happened to both of us. That could easily be avoided by having a system where you check who is leaving and if they have checked out all ready. Finally there was very little to choose from at breakfast and you had to pay extra for a lot of things.

The views were just amazing, so if you decide to stay at this hotel do spend the extra money and book a room with a sea view. The SPA area looked very nice but we never got to use it as the opening hours were quite limited and we arrived late and left before it opened.

• Double or Twin Room

The only thing that I can be negative about is that there was no fridge in the room. It's always nice to have really cold water to drink and tap water is not cool enough. The lounge area I wasn't overly thrilled with but that was my preference and I can't see that it could be any different considering the cross section of people young and old that could change that.

The staff were the thing that we liked about the hotel, all were extremely pleasant, helpful, fun etc. Particularly a young lady in the dining room I think her name was Nadia ? for our evening meals, she went the extra mile but then did all the dining room staff. And of course your facilities were and are wonderful, and we used in the 3 nights there a good amount . Namely the spar area, the indoor and outdoor swimming pools, not a golfer but loved that it was there. and if we'd had more time probably would have had a game of tennis. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and I can see why that the other guests that we talked to told us that they had been coming for years. We too if we came to Cornwall again the

• Double or Twin Room

We booked a standard room at £300 a night with breakfast. For this price I expected a larger sized room, perhaps with a nice view. The room was actually very small and looked out onto the car park. The fire alarm went off a couple of times on different days. The breakfast was basic and the same every day.

The golf facilities and the spa are very good (both an indoor and outdoor pool). Spa treatments are offered but you have to book well in advance. Food and drink at the bar and restaurants are pricey but the standard of food is very good.

The hotel is really nice but so far from the town of city and the reception is really bad , not show me nothing about the spa , restaurant , I was felling so lost there .

the hotel is so confortble and the room so nice ,clean so good aswell

• Single Room with Sea View

The gym - cramped, old machines, couldn't see any hand sanitiser, one treadmill, one bike etc.

The staff, outdoor pool, breakfasts, view and accessibility to the coastal path.

Very poor mattress old and saggy

Slight wait for breakfast and made to feel a bit uncomfortable as on my own.... Hostess a bit brusque. Front of house excellent in reception.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The only fault was the service in the restaurants was not always up to speed. I put this down to the hotel being full.

Love the facilities. The food is always outstanding. Thank you for another fantastic stay.

• Single Room with Sea View

My room was terribly noisy as it was on the first floor over the kitchen. You could smell the cooking and hear the clattering and shouting from the kitchen below. . Breakfast, though a full selection, was fairly tasteless. Pity there was no good quality bread to toast. The building itself was rather faded and ugly from the front but better at the back. I had stayed at the Royal Duchy and Saunton Sands and found this hotel a little disappointing, particularly as I had asked for an upper room and was allocated the first floor. When I challenged this, I was told that rooms were allocated by a third party and that I should have booked direct. £250 for 2 nights B&B in a noisy, small room is really not good value.

Location was very good. Staff as usual very well trained and courteous. The views at the back were lovely.

• Double or Twin Room

Some staff seemed to look down on us, which I cannot stand, doormen and bell boy exceptional, receptionist on entry to the hotel was poor, didn't tell us dining times, didn't explain anything about use of spa or gym facilities, didn't offer a tour, various other missing information, The spa itself was okay, I've experienced far better for much less money, food prices were slightly overboard, nearby American restaurant was very good and amazing little beach hidden down some steps In a car park just down the road from the hotel was amazing, had a great beach bar, bean bags on the beach, good music, and no price for entry!

Food in the spa bar was good (had sandwiches and salad)

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

If you book on a bed and breakfast basis it is advisable not to eat in the hotel restaurant for your evening meal because despite the high meal costs you will be shown to an inferior table, and have no choice where you sit. We found this out on the first morning at 8 00.a.m. to an almost empty dining room to be told as we were not on full board we did not have a choice of table and were sat almost on top of the occupants of the next table.This convinced us to eat elsewhere in the evening.

The room and bathroom had been completely updated . Plenty of tea, coffee, water biscuits and chocolate every day in your room. We paid extra for a lovely sea-view room.

• Double or Twin Room

I honestly cannot think of any criticism.

Fabulous! Another wonderful Brend hotel. You really can appreciate the attention to detail they have shown. Well dressed, highly trained and attentive staff everywhere, exceptionally well maintained and appointed property. Fine dining at very competitive prices. Full genuine 4* complimentary amenities.

• Double or Twin Room

The temperature of the room, it must of been about 30 degrees in our room. The television didn't work properly. The staff or breakfast.

The swimming pools.

• Single Room with Sea View

Room was not clean Fan in room filthy Lots of areas of hotel in need of investment Rooms, bars, restaurant Looking a little tired and dated

Location and staff friwndly

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Evening dinner could have been hotter although good selection on menu in brasserie.

Friendly staff, comfortable room, great facilities, beautiful location.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

If I'm being picky, there was building work taking place opposite the hotel that did cause noise during the day, however this is only temporary and beyond the hotels control.

Attentive staff, super clean, wonderful location. Gardens and facilities first class

• Single Room with Sea View

My poor comfort and value for money evaluation above are based on the room I was provided with for the stay. I arrived at 1405 to be informed that my room was not ready because they had a number of guests who had checked out late...really, so I am to be inconvenienced at the convenience of the previous guests! I complained and miraculously they found a room which was ready...but it was the smallest room I have ever seen in a hotel, in fact most guest houses would be ashamed of offering their guests such a small room. I booked a single occupancy room but this was taking single to the infinitesimal extreme. The room was also stuffy and hot in spite of leaving the window fully open for the entire stay. The temperature inside the room was much higher than outside, one only had to step into the corridor outside the room to find a much more comfortable environment / temperature. The breakfast is poor for a hotel of this alleged quality...eggs benedict which are provided on request at an eight pounds supplement to the buffet breakfast...they were appalling (see accompanying picture) muffin, hard boiled poached egg, with crispy streaky bacon on top (yes on top of the eggs!) with a very limp hollandaise sauce distributed over the plate as opposed to the eggs! The hotel has many pointless rules which contravene customer choice, service and experience...e.g. everyday you are shown to the exact same table in the restaurant for breakfast, when I asked to sit on a different table I was informed that it was not possible and thereafter I enquired why, only to be informed "it is the rules sir"...at dinner every time you order a drink you are presented with a bill to sign for the subject drinks...again when I enquired that it would be much more straight forward (and normal practice) to present me a single bill at the end of the meal I was again informed "it is the rules sir"....

The location and hotel facilities are good...the majority of staff I came into with contact with were enthusiastic, pleasant and most help full.

• Double or Twin Room

When there is a function on, such as a wedding, then other residents are overlooked somewhat. There was also a function on in one of the bar areas but no advance notice was given so having settled in for the evening, I then had to move. In addition, during the wedding evening there was a major firework display where there was no advance warning and subsequently woke me up. Had I known in advance then I would have changed my plans!

The staff were very helpful and friendly and easily accessible. The attention to detail is very good.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The place was very big and impersonal and the facilities like tennis court and swimming pool wasted on us for a one night stay but for those who would use them they were excellent. The first impression of the outside of the building was not good . We were not impressed with the quality of the breakfast or the fact that it was self service, which given the prices charged one would not expect. The bacon etc had obviously been cooked for a long time when we had our breakfast at approximately half past nine. We would expect to have a menu and order our food freshly cooked and then served by the waiter or waitress, not self service , in any establishment charging this amount of money for bed and breakfast. £250 for this experience was way over priced for an average hotel like this. Pretentious in the extreme. We were unable to book dinner in the main dining room for 7:30 which was disappointing as we would have liked to sit looking at the view which was the main thing the hotel has going for it. Instead we sat in the alternative dining area 'Taste' , which was dark with the blinds pulled down as there was no view , no atmosphere and only five other people dining there. The food was acceptable but overpriced and nothing exceptional. We will not be returning.

The bed was comfortable , the sea view good. Everything else was unexceptional and ordinary.

• Single Room with Sea View

TV reception was patchy at times

the room was excellent, the only problem was the room had a connecting door and the occupants in the next room were inconsiderate and had the tv so loud until at least 1am which meant I could not sleep. Great hotel and staff, the continental breakfast could have been a little more imaginative. Would definately make a return visit.

On arrival, the front office staff appeared unwelcoming and unfriendly. On departure, the Receptionist took the room key - said "oh so nothing to pay" and that was it. Did not enquire if enjoyable stay or wish a safe journey ! This was a shame because everything else was absolutely perfect.

Everything about the Hotel, facilities, scenery, accommodation - excellent

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Not much except that it is not cheap!

Lovely hotel in splendid location overlooking the bay. Food and service is excellent, drinks not overpriced Great perk of free round of golf on its adjoining golf course: a great way to spend the morning or afternoon with stunning views across the bay.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The start of the kids entertainment was too late. My kids are 3 and 6 and are fast asleep by 9

Lovely door man Barry full of local knowledge. Friendly accomadting bar staff. Alex was great. Amazing kids club team, kids loved Nathan and phoebe. Great pool inside and out.

• Double or Twin Room

Rooms aren't all air conditioned or have mini bars-Suggest you check the fine print if you are expecting the normal four-star amenities for the double rooms. Rates are on the high side for what you get. Went with the kids so booked two interleading rooms. Disappointed with the size of the rooms and view of the car park for the rate paid overall. Weddings practically every other day so one or the other restaurant becomes out of bounds for hotel guests so choices are limited.Even trying to change rooms is subject to the fact that with so many weddings, occupancy is very high so we were stuck with the rooms we got. The spa is a bit dated, noisy but functional.

Staff- true credit to the hospitality industry. Fantastic service in ALL areas of the hotel. Front of house, bar staff, porters, restaurant staff, room service staff et al. Main restaurant-incredible food for dinner.

Browse The Carlyon Bay Hotel traveller photo gallery