Reviews of The Cedars Hotel, Loughborough 3 stars

Cedar Road, Loughborough, LE11 2AB, United Kingdom

#15 of 17 hotels in Loughborough

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

The bed was so uncomfortable it was like sleeping on the floor. The bathroom was so small, very hard to get in and out of the bath as there was no room. The shower head was so small it washed the wall most of the time. Mirror in the bathroom too low for my husband to shave. Plugs were broken so they didn't fit into the sink, bath. There was a 90th Birthday party being held in the hotel (which we didn't know about until we had booked in) so we were put in the back of the hotel away from the music but we had to go up stairs go down 2 corridors then down stairs and another corridor before we got into the very small room. I have MS so it was a lot of walking for me. We had to walk through the party to get out the restaurant and from the restaurant. Whilst eating dinner the music was soooo loud which made a so called romantic weekend not very romantic. When we had breakfast the tea urn was luke warm water so I turned it up. Was awoke during the night due to the creaking floor above us and doors slamming. We would NOT got back again. Premier was down the road for £45 per night we wished we had stayed there.

The food was good.

Room was clean, friendly staff.

very dated, spent too long adjusting bath tap as not a thermostatic shower over bath with a very poor shower head.

Room was clean, friendly staff. Food was ok

Basic hotel

The room was outdated and about the size of a broom cupboard. Also there was no desk.

The staff were friendly, food was great and it was nice sitting out in the garden in the sun.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Easy to find (esp in the dark). Spacious, clean with professional staff. Good value, thanks.

My tv had 'worn' aerial socket which, required tightening to eliminate blocky reception. Some furniture & electrical sockets looked decades old. I'd stay again - good value, thanks.

Spoke to three different staff briefly, all polite. Impressed with handsome young chap who worked overnight - such sincere friendliness. Happy with comfy bed & cleanliness. Parking great, plenty of space. I'll happily say - good value, thanks.

Clean cosy rooms and really worth what I paid and fast WiFi

Staff weren’t welcoming, hot water did not work till 9am on the day of checkout, staff unlocked and walked into the room twice way before the checkout time

Clean cosy rooms and really worth what I paid and fast WiFi

The staff were fantastic, sorry I can't remember names,...

We booked two rooms a single and a double. The double room was spot on, no complaints from the guys that stayed in there. The single room though my complaint is for the bathroom. The shower was tiny, I couldn't fit my feet in it properly (tbf they're size 14 but still a pain). The shower itself was controlled by one big knob in the middle which extended about 6 inches from the wall which made for even less room. The biggest issue is the power of the shower, I could have gotten more power from an empty watering can. The whole bathroom coulc have done with a lick of paint. Sorry it seems like a rant but bar this I loved the place.

The staff were fantastic, sorry I can't remember names, the lady on check In was polite, kind and knowledgeable. She reminded me of someone I used to work with, which if you knew them means it is very high praise. The night porter as well was great, he was funny and had a very warm personality. The best part of the stay though was the food, I had a steak for my meal, I asked for pepper sauce, which they don't do but made for me. The food was fantastic, steak was perfectly cooked, the sauce to die for. The reason to stay at the hotel was a group of us were travelling up and down the country for the week, the meal at Cedars was the best meal I had all week.

A quiet spot..

I wish there had been somewhere it eat in the Bar area rather than just the vast empty Restaurant ( at my time of wanting to eat ( 19.00 hours ). The single bed in my room was extremely cheap and lightweight and had inadequate bedding for the recent change in weather.

I found the Hotels location to be a pleasant 20 minutes walk from Loughborough Town Centre . The Hotel has a cosy bar and lounge area and has the added advantage of over looking the tracks of the nearby Heritage Railway.

Had a lovely stay in the hotel excellent staff looked after us. And great location.

To be honest the shower was very slow. But not a major problem.

Beds were very comfy staff were helpful and polite always had a smile and the evening food was lovely. We met friends who all came to eat at the hotel was a lovely evening and all staff were excellent.

A Great weekend stay.

Needed more info on what there is to do in the local area in the welcome booklet.

This is the 2nd time we have stayed here it has massively improved and look forward to staying here again sometime in the future.

Very nice and friendly clean

I would say the breakfast could of been a bit bigger but I am a truck driver ..

I've stayed in many hotels this hotels food is divine everyone is amazing .love this place .and the price was very good .and yes I am.real Martin thomas Cv8 3ha Coventry

Room fine but more staff needed for checkout and bar and breakfast.

Only one person on check in, bar and everything else !! Very long wait to check in. Breakfast milk was off and although it was changed it still wasn't right.

Comfortable bed. Nice room. Gluten free avaiable

Refused to stay as so awful booked somewhere else given a full refund by cedar hotel

Building exterior run down filthy interior run down rooms tired and bed linen looked stained bathroom needs ripping out bath coming away from wall and toilet seat replaced with a different colour seat Plaster coming off wall in reception and fridge day on carpet behind reception

The hotel could be so much better with some new furnishings and decorating. Comfortable bed, great b

The decor is very tired, and the finish poor. Do not expect a power shower!

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The lounge area near the bar was comfortable and relaxing. Quiet location.

Felt we were let down by the room, it needs updating.

My husband slipped in the bath whilst having a shower asked for a shower mat and was given a floor towelling mat. But when we asked again for a rubber one, received one the next day. No grab rails or handles to assist in and out of the bath. The hot tap in the wash basin turned 180degrees when trying to turn on the tap.

The food was good! But had to ask about utensils.

Maintenance work ongoing July 2018 didn't spoil my stay

Lumpy bed, not a lot of pressure in the shower. Restaurant very quite at time of visit but service was slow. Mixed grill overpriced but Corbonara was excellent. Dessert choice usual sticky anything with cream!

Good sized room with chairs and desk space, bathroom clean and well equipped. Carbonara with bacon was very good although garlic bread was an extra. Parking around the hotel so should be no problem getting a space.

Friendly staff and comfy beds. Great location for the university - 10 min drive away.

I was a little surprised that it looked a little run down in the room re decor - but found we slept like logs and everything was there for us to use - so no actual complaints.

The staff member who checked us in was lovely and helpful. The bar is open all night if needed - which it wasn't in my case.

Just stayed for 1 night to be close to family as we had just...

The owners should be very grateful for the staff

Just stayed for 1 night to be close to family as we had just arrived from overseas, the staff were amazing, friendly & helpful the place is very very tired & run down -needs a visit from Alex Polizzi or Ruth Watson-

Our stay was reasonably comfortable . Friendly staff but poor quality room.

Bedroom needs upgrading. Stains on carpet , floor was creaking and uneven. Room was quite small with one side of the bed against the wall.

Dining room and reception were good . Food especially breakfast was very good.

Wouldn't stay there again.

All very tired and worn and not very clean. Badly in need of some tlc. Water didn't work in bath. Lots of hallways and staircases to carry cases along. The freshly cooked breakfast was good and freshly cooked but the buffet was very poor, coffee had run out, fresh fruit was going bad, no yoghurt although on menu. Dinner ok

Staff friendly enough, small garden to sit in with picnic seats.

Enjoyable stay..lovely staff..excellent breakfast

Decor shabby..some of cleaning left a bit to be desired but the beds were clean and crisp and comfy so what more do you need for one night

We only had breakfast but it was very nice indeed..plenty of it and very hot..my husband said the sausages were really good..i would just give staff one tip/check the fruit bowl there were three pieces rotten fruit in it..

Good value

See other comment; minor niggles.

If you like steam trains or indeed are going to the Great Central, this perfectly placed as the line runs past the bottom of the garden. Parking was plentiful and reception easy. The room was good and, HOORAY, you could open the windows wide. Shower head is rather measly, but there was hot water. Light bulbs at bed-head again measly, but at least they worked. Bed was comfortable, and I slept very well. Breakfast quite pricey at £8 extra and don't be in a hurry as it takes a while for anything to happen; the upside, however, is that it is freshly cooked, and it was filling and tasty. I would/will happily stay here again.

Overall an excellent weekend stay and looking forward to next time.

The staff were excellent and friendly.The location is good and parking for vehicles is excellent.Great choice at breakfast - especially the sausages.Stayed last year and will be staying same time next year.

Good experience, would stay here again

Bathroom needed re decoration and shower didn't work. Noisy while the restaurant was in use.

Spacious room with very comfortable bed, Bedroom was nicely decorated. Lots of extras e.g heaters air-con machine . Excellent breakfast and evening meal in the restaurant

I really wouldn’t recommend staying here.

I really wouldn’t recommend staying here. It wasn’t clean, lots of things were damaged the it was basically all in a state of real disrepair. The staff were sweet and trying to do a good job, but it was a pretty grim experience. We were glad to turn the lights off just so we didn’t have to see the suspicious stains above the bed.

5ht or 6th visit with more to plan as the studies progress in the area

It has to be done sometime and I am sure the lounge and bar area is now looking good as the decorating did cause a slight smell of paint and cleaning fluids, having said this it was kept to a minimum and no work being undertaken after 16:30 each day

The location was good for the university with a nice walk in each day along with the superb restaurant in the evening. Staff had excellent knowledge of the surrounding area and where able to assist with information on how to book and get there

Loved it and I’ll stay again next tine I’m passing thou.

The shower was differcult to use and had little headroom

Old country style pub/hotel atmosphere. Food was exceptional and I’d recommend the abodo which was a first for me. Super friendly staff and get value for money. The old school steam train that goes by during the day was really cool to see but that only operates during daylight hours which I was happy to hear

Overall happy with the stay. The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly.

Room decor was flaky. Restaurant appeared understaffed. My breakfast waffles were rock hard but I didn't have time to send them back as service had been too slow and made me late for my appointment.

Staff were very responsive to queries. Accomodation was comfortable and had good ambience.

Should have gone to Travelodge! I deeply regret staying here.

Only when we reached the hotel did we see a sign saying that it was currently under renovation and being updated however we saw no evidence of it. Our room looked nothing like the pictures! The decor and furnishings were outdated, broken and of poor quality. The rooms walls & carpet were dirty and the room was dusty. Several light bulbs didn't work. The corridor carpet had worn thin, torn and was a dangerous trip hazard. The wall had an orange splatter up it. The shower was cold and so feeble you couldn't wash your hands under it. There were no toiletries provided and the cups for tea were dirty. The walls and floor were paper thin and every noise in the building could be heard, as could the trains running along the track a mere 5 meters from our bedroom window! The staff were rude and dismissive, demanding we leave our room key when leaving the site to go out. We weren't even asked if we had enjoyed our stay as we left. As a final farewell we found used condoms outside on our way back to the car.

Absolutely nothing about this hotel could be described as likeable.

Cost.

Was told I had to eat in the restaurant and not the bar (even though they sell bar snacks - id ordered a burger, I was on my own and the bar was empty)... I was staying on my own and felt more comfortable in the bar instead of the restaurant.

Cost... bar area...

Hotel needs a lot of work - staff friendly but not good enough

Broken bathroom door, no light in bathroom thin quilt and lumpy mattress with springs coming through.

Doesn’t look anything like photos on site hotel tired and lifeless. Room furniture old carpets dirty light in bathroom didn’t work and door to bathroom didn’t close. Could hear guests in room above moving around the creaky floors so very little sleep in the lumpy tired bed

Room 6 very poor substandard quality certainly not 3* a comodation

The room was poor, wall paper hanging off. Holes in the wall, poor quality furnishings. The ensuite had no ventilation consequently the room smelt of damp. Toiletries were inadequate with no hand soap or sanitizer provided.

Breakfast was good and the restaurant staff very attentive

Location was good

The place smelled damp. The decor was poor and large patches of damp in the room. Carpets were old and worn and there were cobwebs in my room.

Location was good

Breakfast was as expected and well prepared.

Either live-in staff or possibly visitors to the hotel in one of the corridors had music on in the room in the evening which is fine but the door to their room was always open when passing. Also someone had been 'hanging out'in the corridors near top of the stairs towards the rear of the hotel and left beer bottles lying around.

Breakfast was as expected and well prepared.

Friendly staff, close to lake nearby for relaxing walk

Decor and plumbing a little dated, worked fine, and was clean though, so minor gripe, wouldn't put me off staying again.

Friendly staff, close to lake nearby for relaxing walk

The only good thing about this place is the exit!

It stank of stale smoke and is filthy. I’d rather have slept in my car on the hard shoulder of the M6 during rush hour! Now word of a lie, this week place should be bulldozed! Serious. DO NOT Book here!

The only good thing about this place is the exit! I guess the food was nice though.

2nd visit. As disappointing as the first.

Staff couldn't muster a smile. One was smoking in the front porch on our return from dinner out. Room was incredibly tired. Dents in the walls, patch fixes all over the place On arrival (about 5pm) there was a party in a room down the hall with loud music and an awful lot of shouting. It carried on until about 10.30pm then started again when they got back from their night out around 3am. Music and noise started again about 9am when they woke up. No we didn't bother to complain but if any member of staff had taken 5 mins to walk around the hotel at any point they would have picked up on this and done something about it.

The bed was comfy and the area reasonably quiet. Parking was excellent

Friendly staff--shame about the breakfast

As we didn't require a full breakfast----we only had cereals toast and coffee---shocked when we checked out to find we were charged £8 per person times four £32 pounds extra on our bill.

The small single room offers just enough space for one...

The small single room offers just enough space for one person but its cosy and quiet. The bed is a bit squeaky but not annoying. the staff were very friendly and helpful. There is a bar next to the reception (24hrs) and the on-site restaurant offers a few good dishes. I parked in the small car park in the front and I think there is also a large car park at the back of the hotel. good value for a solo traveller.

Perfect for visits to the Great Central Railway.

Ground floor rooms suffer noise pollution from those walking around 1st floor rooms....lots of creaking and banging.

Breakfast was excellent as always!

Excellent location, with some nice facilities. But could do better.

The bathroom extractor fan did not work. Not ideal when the bathroom has no ventilation. On three occasions when I ordered coffee, when it came, it was lukewarm at best. Some noise disturbances.

Nice bar & lounge. We booked with the location in mind, being next to the Great Central Railway. We were delighted with it's nearness, and Loughborough Central station was only a 20 minute walk away!

Very comfortable clean room and friendly staff.

The shower would benefit from a bit higher water pressure.

Friendly staff both on reception and in the restaurant. Good breakfast and excellent evening meals. Location very good for visiting the Great Central Railway.

Good accommodation at a reasonable price.

An earlier breakfast would have been useful on Sat/Sun but otherwise everything was very good.

Clean comfortable room, good choice of food for evening meal and very helpful and friendly staff.

Great steam photos from hotel carpark.

The buffet breakfast was okay but freshly cooked eggs are always preferable. Ideal for a single male but not recommended for a honeymoon or wedding anniversary celebration as the rooms could do with some TLC.

Probably the best hotel in the country for steam railway enthusiasts! Ideal for photos of trains leaving Loughborough. Meals are sensibly priced and tasty and there is a reasonable choice of drinks.

Great value for money. Very clean.

Restaurant was closed. Lady on reception tried to get me a take away but most were closed or didn’t deliver. No ones at hotels fault.just timing of stay.

Very helpful lady in reception

wouldn’t stay again.

After first off getting a horribly shabby room that looks nothing like the photos, I asked to change rooms, the lady’s t the desk was polite and told me there was no double rooms available, as I waited a room suddleny “appeared” as if by magic. I swapped rooms and this one was far better than the other.

Quite.

Very nice room, comfortable bed.

Could do with daily clean... put up the door card for 3 days but never was the room cleaned.. the water pressure wasn't there at all couldn't take a shower..

Very nice room, comfortable bed.. good view and spacious

Enjoyable stay due to the staff.

The restaurant was closed on arrival, 1900 on a Sunday, as such we had to travel for food. One room had a toilet that required care/time when flushing and the floor could be a slip hazard.

The location was good and the staff on arrival were brilliant.

Great for tradesman

It’s a little tired and worn, the lady on reception/bar was a bit officious. Perhaps it’s because they get a lot of tradesmen and that style works !

Location, size of room, breakfast

Ok for an inexpensive stop over, but I think I would prefer to pay more for a bit more comfort .

Thin summer duvets, so cold, particularly in the the small bathroom. And very noisy as this walls, didn’t get much sleep.

Was inexpensive for an overnight stay

Good value for a one night stay.

There is not a lot of room in the bathroom and the shower although lovely and hot was not very powerful. Squeaky floor boards to be expected in an old building but I managed to negotiate a route to avoid them!

Staff were extremely helpful and very welcoming. Ample parking. Good selection of gin! Quiet room.

Reasonably pleasant

The water flow in our room was so low it was difficult to use the sink and the shower. The mattress on the bed could possibly need replacing as we experienced rolling into the middle of the bed.

The staff were very helpful and pleasant.

Overall it was a lovely stay, comfortable, value for money. The staff were really friendly as well.

There was nothing I didn't like the prices were good and you get a lot of variety.

The food smelled delicious but we did not have any. So I can't rate it fairly.

Disappointed. Room 34 grotty not like website

Noise at night. Fire alarm went off at 2am. Room shabby and dusty. Nothing like images on website. Water was dripping through ceiling in breakfast room.one guest eat breakfast in their pyjamas

Breakfast well cooked

Comfy bed. That's about it.

Didn't get a welcome, it was very awkward on arrival! The hotel is very outdated, carpet in the room was filthy, everything needs replacing, literally. We ran a bath and the water was a green colour so we opted to wait until we got home. Floorboards are uneven and noisy, I could go on forever but I won't....

The bed was very comfortable had a lively sleep, apart from the headboard falling off the wall that it was just hung on.

Basic accommodation with no redeeming features

My honest and distinct impression was that the hotel has probably seen better days in the past than the condition it is in today. My room smelled damp and musty and the shower area is long overdue a re-fit. It looked as though some re-tilling had been crudely carried out fairly recently but it isn't enough to lift what is a tired looking facility. That having been said, the room was warm and fairly clean and the receptionist did take action when I reported that the shower spray fixing was loose.

The location was very convenient for my purposes.

Room cold, very expensive for the type of the room.

Noise during the night, very cold room, food not great. The whole place didn’t look good

Room cold, very expensive for the type of the room. Very noise couldn’t sleep. Food wasn’t that good, not worth the price.

Comfortable,cosy stay - excellent value!

There was nothing to dislike except I couldn't stay 1 more night!

Great value for money - warm cozy room exceptionally clean! Lovely front desk staff.

Served its purpose but would go elsewhere next time.

The "double' sized bedroom was very small with an ensuite bathroom you couldn't swing a cat in! The bed was in such a position that one person literally had to climb over to get in! Carpet very badly stained. Furniture weary!

A very pleasant and attentive staff member at breakfast.

Full of regret for booking that property

Very unclean and not meeting expectations facility wise. Has to be termed B&B, not hotel. Some B&Bs are even better service wise and facility wise.

Friendly staff

it was lovly enjoyed it no end

the3 noise at night cos of some one being above me

i enjoyed my stay there it was magic and want stay there again the breakfast was amazinffg and staff so friendly

breakfast ok nice touch, waiter properly dressed, ie...

nothing really, stairs a bit difficult so receptionist, nice, swopped us a mediately. Restuarant closed Sun.

breakfast ok nice touch, waiter properly dressed, ie waistcoat etc.

Great value if staying over for a steam gala.

Not the most pleasant of booking in experiences.

Ideally placed for the Great Central Railway. Once past reception everyone extremely helpful and friendly.

The staff at the hotel were very welcoming and the room was...

The staff at the hotel were very welcoming and the room was very comfortable. All meals at the hotel were freshly cooked to order and delicious. The bar was cosy and served a good variety of drinks. The hotel is situated a quiet location about 20 minutes walk from Loughborough town centre and is an ideal base for visiting the Great Central Railway, Good value for money.

Friendly helpful staff , good breakfast , easy to get around the area , by bus , rail , or road .

The bathroom could have done with a upgrade .

Great staff , good location , easy road and rail links , quiet location but close to a choice of restaurants .

Could have been better.

Shower didn't work, no plug for washbasin. Waited 20 mins for my breakfast order to be taken.Rubbish service! Walked out, paid for breakfast in advance but finished up getting something to eat on my way back to Worksop.I didn't report the shower etc or the service in the restaurant, all I wanted was to have some breakfast & get home & have a shower!

Room clean & comfortable facilities ok.

Comfortable and good value.

The hotel is starting to look a little tired, that said, there is evidence that they are starting to redecorate the public areas at least.

Staff very friendly and helpful. The 24 hour service was a nice touch.

Room and ensuite very clean.

Shower flow not brilliant though nice hot water.

Room and ensuite very clean. Decor of hotel slightly tired but we were warmly welcomed and good cooked breakfast in morning served on hot plates which was a nice change.

Firendly staff, bar downstairs, free wifi.

Rooms in close proximity to each other, and could hear / feel vibration of people walking in adjacent rooms. The sound of a locking room door seemed to echo around the hotel.

Firendly staff, bar downstairs, free wifi. Excellent food!

Not our first choice.

The rooms where poorly lit with dull yellowish light, the shower was erratic cold then scolding, the walls where so paper thin we could hear every guests around us using the toilet, the divan bed pieces where not secured together so they drifted apart and very uncomfortable. The desk clerk wasn't the friendliest.

Lots of available parking

Disappointed, not worth £60....... felt ripped off

Room was old and tired, I've stayed in better than this for far less money. Very disappointed. Hotel needs freshening up big time. Noisy corridors at night.

This is a very basic and run down hotel, the staff are excellent but we could not stay there again

The hotel is quite run down and needs a major refurbishment, rooms are generally very dated and they need a makeover. The fabric of the building is poor and needs a rework or rebuild, I.e. Water took several minutes to get up to pressure at the taps making showering impossible

Good menu with some unusual options available, poached eggs on ciabatta was excellent. Staff are very good working in difficult conditions as there seems to be a lot of building/ decore problems to address

Suitable

I was told that if I called on the day I was arriving I could have my room cleaned first so I could go in it extra early as I was getting married that day and wanted to get ready for my big day But when I phoned on the day they said no we can't other that I was very disappointed and had a mad rush to find somewhere else to get ready before my wedding I just wish they hadn't told me they could do this in the first place

Very disappointing

The hotel was very tired looking and needs some serious updating, it had an unpleasant odor and was dirty, my room was particularity dated. I've stayed as plenty of hotels and don't have high expectations for a 3 star hotel, however this really didn't meet with what I expected.

The one member of staff I spoke with was friendly, the wifi was free and plenty of parking

load of crap

everything

the muslim next door praying in the early hours of morning making prayer noises aloud no staff challenged his behaviour ? did point it out to manger of hotel she did nothing ?

Disapointing

I arrived at the hotel at 830pm on the 1/9/17 after a 3hr journey. I Unpacked and started to get ready for bed as we had an early start in the morning. I entered the bathroom to take a shower to find black pubic hair on the floor and black hair on the wall of the shower(room 28). I contacted reception to advise and someone came and cleaned the bathroom. I pulled back the bedsheets to get into bed and there was a stain on the bedsheets. I contacted reception to advise and I was told the sheets would be changed. The receptionist came to the room and suggested we move to the only available room that was left (room 1). Still in my pyjamas I packed and moved our luggage to room 1. Upon entering room 1 we were met by a fair size spider hanging from a web above the bed. Due to my daughter and I having a fear of spiders I tried to call reception to see if they would mind assisting in moving the spider but unfortunately the phone receiver was not attached to the phone. I got dressed and went to reception and the lady was very Kind and removed spider. Unfortunately you could feel the bed springs in the bed so my daughter and i did not have a very good night sleep. My daughter is competing in a sporting event this weekend and needs to be well rested. I'm unable to stay again tonight as the standard of the room is unacceptable. I have had to pay £105 to stay Somewhere else for the night. I did discuss all this with the receptionist and she advised I email as she is unable to do anything. I'm not happy that I have paid £124 for 2 nights stay and stayed 1 very bad night!