Reviews of Charnwood Arms by Good Night Inns 3 stars

Beveridge Lane, Coalville, LE67 1TB, United Kingdom

#2 of 2 hotels in Coalville

No retail outlets within a mile of the immediate area

I liked the chalet approach where you are parked right outside, staff were very friendly and restaurant served great food.

The noise! not only of dogs, cars and people coming and going in the car park, and huge HGV's on the roads at all hours given that it appears to be in the middle of several trading estates. Unfortunately for us, the tradespeople in the next chalet left for work at 4 am each morning and they had parked a large diesel van right outside the door to our allocated chalet, no more than 2 metres away. The bed (new mattress apparently - Hypnos?) was stifling and uncomfortable given that we had to shut the very small window to try and keep the noise out. There was only enough coffee/tea for one cup each as the milk sachet was so small, one needed two per cup. The light for the bathroom was outside the actual bathroom, on an internal wall, which when turned on illuminated half the chalet! Didn't expect the Ritz for £150 for two nights but very disappointed as it was recommended by a friend. I would not have booked it if I had seen where it was located in relation to the car park!

Staff were pleasant, even though I explained when we checked out why I did not enjoy the stay. Apparently we picked a bad weekend as there was a big dog show on in the area (which we had come to see) and the chalet we were allocated was right on the main car park, hence very noisy.

Few bathtowels were a little dirty, there was no Ash tray for the two rooms but tiny things tbh

Location was great, parking very good, staff helpful, food was available in the pub and perfectly fine. Really solid value for money if you're look for a base

WiFi was next to useless, as mentioned by others place is starting to look a little tired and in need of a refresh.

Good size comfy bed, plenty of storage space for gear, nice and quiet and suited our needs.

Wifi is non existent, if you need to work stay somewhere else. Whats worse is they know its rubbish. Booking.com need to remove this feature from their listing until they get it sorted out.

Next to a hungry horse pub so basic food but very low prices.

The rooms were clean but in desperate need of a refurb

Staff were really helpful. We arrived early and ate in the restaurant. We were a little early for the 2pm check in, but I explained my husband was recovering from an operation and needed to lie down, so they kindly got one of the rooms ready quickly so we could get in.

We weren't to happy with our door lock, so didn't kept a an valuables in the room while not in there.

A good place to stay for one or two nights, we stayed here for Donington Park Circuit, which is no more than 20 minutes away by car. It's set up like a motel style, not a hotel. You stay individual rooms, that you can park your car outside your door. You pay what you get, it's basic, cheap, cheerful, clean, warm and a comfortable king size bed, tea and coffee, but had to ask for more milk as only left two, big TV, Shower powerful and hot. You eat in the pub and the staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was excellent, evening meal was bogof burger night which was good. Yes we would stay here again.

There was nothing to dislike.

The property was in a picturesque location. After being given a friendly, warm welcome, it was easy to relax in pleasant surroundings and I was made to feel at home, which is always welcomed as a solo traveller. The room and the bathroom were spacious and very clean. The bed was comfortable with good quality fresh linen. There was a good tea tray with a tea pot and included hot chocolate. Fresh milk was available on request. There was a good range of toiletries in the bathroom. A good selection of breakfast foods were available and the cooked breakfast was very good. Everything to make for a pleasant and comfortable stay was provided, including lovely views over the countryside.

Windows where old,draugthty and noisey. the whole room was need of updating

In a good location to the M1. Lady on reception was very helpful and entertaining. A great asset to the hotel

The walls in the room are paper thin & there was a gap between the door & wall, so we heard every little noise. It felt like the birds were in our room for their dawn chorus!!!!

Cleanliness in bathroom poor in fact whole room could do with refurbishment. The area we were housed in seems to cater for white van man and I am not being elitist as I have been one myself. I requested single beds for my wife and I which I suppose makes sense to be housed where we were as workers staying overnight would not necessarily require double beds.

Very comfortable and clean beds. Cheerful and friendly staff in restaurant and food better than expected. Restaurant prices ver good especially with meal deals.

That i had to leave such an incredible place 😥

Ive stayed at charnwood arms before over 2 years ago and its still the best place. Beautiful view for my opinion. The staff are amazing the room i was in was imaculate.

Chalet was a little tired-looking though perfectly clean and would appear much lighter in better weather.

The welcome and attention from staff and the convenience to come and go freely to meet our timetable needs.

The beds were a little hard for my liking

The staff were extremely friendly and went the extra mile to make sure we were happy and comfortable. The rooms were clean to good standards and stocked with plenty of coffee tea milk. Make sure if your eating in the restaurant you book as it gets busy very quickly.

I emailed and told you we were wheelchair users had no reply so assumed everything was ok. We got there and couldn’t have a wash or shower for 3 days. I fell out my wheelchair when I tried to get in my room. There’s wasn’t enough room to get to the toilet so I had to crawl. The cleaner refused to take my catheters away and had no way of getting rid of rubbish the room smelled. The cleaner didn’t clean. She only made the bed. Didn’t change our sheets. I did complain but there was nothing we could do. I will not be using the Charnwood again and in 2 minds to use Booking.com again either

The location was ok for what we were there for

Apartments were clean, warm and quiet. Easy to check in and out. We booked two rooms and enjoyed our brief stay. Food available at the restaurant where you could get breakfast though we brought our own. Would stay again next time we are in the Midlands.

Room was cold as radiators not warm enough with snow and minus temperatures. They needed to be working better in those conditions. Towel rail fell off. Mildew on bathroom ceiling. Disappointed as I had better room and stay here 9 months ago.

Easy to find and park. Linen clean. Staff were very friendly and welcoming.

The view from my room was over the car-park and it snowed, but that wasn't the fault of the staff. The stay was good, only that I would have liked to book out earlier on Saturday. Maybe the booking form could tell you that it's later at weekends.

The room was warm and comfortable and the staff were friendly and courteous. The evening meal was lovely, hot and quickly served and there was plenty of choice.

Noisy electric meter kept me awake and the downstairs door didn't close allowing the wind to whistle through the hallway and add to the noise!

Clean and comfortable with fair access to main routes

The noise ruined my sleep. I complained to staff and I had to check out after 3 hours as woken up by other guests as the room about sounded like they were going to fall through the floor.

Not much

It wasn't the Ritz, but you don't expect it to be for the price.

The cooked breakfast was good, the bed was firm, the temperature in the room was perfect. We needed one night for a business trip, and it was very good value for money, with facilities for eating and drinking at the venue (which was a big bonus, as friends in another hotel had to travel for breakfast). I was impressed at the variety on the continental breakfast - muffins, croissants, crumpets, and plenty of cereals and porridge. An absolutely great place for a good value comfortable stay.

The bathroom sink was not cleaned properly. The doors had a large gap at the bottom this key in a nasty cold breeze during the night the room was very cold. Not nice sleeping on cotton sheets.

I saw a couple of ants in the bathroom sink (literally only 2) but nothing to worry about. The room looked a little dated but for all practical purposes it was fine.

The room was quiet, nice and warm, spacious with all the essentials and very well equipped. The bed was very comfortable as were the pillows and the shower was excellent. Parking was very easy, right outside my room.

All good for me!

There was plenty of on-site parking, the rooms were comfortable and staff very friendly. It was great to have a restaurant on site too. All in all, it was better than I expected!

I was there for 2 nights, separate bookings so I had two different rooms. Room 8 I was in is on the ground floor and the room above has very creaky floor boards! It doesn’t help when the occupants seemed to be walking around quite a lot.

Comfortable beds and good food

Unable to obtain a table for a meal on arrival we would have to wait half an hour. Our room was very cold no heating on for our arrival. Mid winter.

Staff friendly and helpful. Room was clean and adequate

When the restaurant was busy the staff seemed a little flustered, almost lacking direction, I sat with an empty plate in front of me for quite a while, I had to get up and seek out a member of staff to get it cleared and to get my desert

The bed was very comfy, I am a very tall man so find most beds mall and uncomfortable, but not so here. The staff were always happy and smiling, and I was made to feel welcome from the moment I arrived.

Noisy floor waking up guests below, radiator too hot and not controllable so had to have windows open during a storm, radiator clanging every 15 minutes, shabby room and door to block smashed open and not repaired.

Lack of security, there were cars coming all through the night (persons invited by another resident on more than one occasion, unchallenged). Very, very thin walls.

The staff, welcome, food and cleanliness.

The bath was rather old and the shower was rather difficult to operate. It took quite a while to sort out how to use it. On operating instructions. When needing to turn the bathroom light it also turned on the area where the wardrobe area was. This was a nuisance in the night when using the bathroom as the light shone in the sleeping area. The room was in need of refurbishment .

The hotel was easy to find with very good parking facilities and within easy reach of the motorway network. The bed was very comfortable and towels sufficient and of good quality. The room was clean.

The heating in the room could not be adjusted and it was too hot despite us having the windows open all the time. The bathroom was needing upgraded shabby. It had been snowing and frosty and the car park was like a sheet of glass you could not keep your feet. A little grit spread would have helped.

breakfast was very good also the meal we had in the restaurant. the staff were very nice and helpful

The windows need to be double glazed as they gave of a lot of cold and were wet through with condensation by the morning. The bathroom needs up dating with a fan in it that had a chance of clearing the steam and it was cold as the radiator was Luke warm yet was on full, there was a loft hatch above the bath , no idea why it needed to be there but owing to its position was a little mouldy as was The edges of the ceiling as a result of poor ventilation.

The lighting was good , the bed was firm yet comfy.

The lady on the deck was lovely and explained we could pay extra 10 pound to stay till 2 amd to stay over night 37 on the Sunday we then asked if we could do this the other lady told us it would be 47 pound was she was very abrupt and was not well manned from the lady on Saturday was lovely very welcoming

I like it all was lovely but the lady working Saturday was not

Coffee was awful. Floorboards very noisy in the upstairs rooms.

Liked being able to park directly outside of our room. Staff were extremely helpful and lovely to talk to

Old motel style chalet Bathroom heating not working Only one bedside light so not good for reading in bed even where light Hungry horse very noisy and not our style

Not at all although had been recommended as better than other Accommodation in the area

The location was good for my destination and I had a very comfortable stay and will book again when I am next in the area. I didn't have time for breakfast on this occasion. the room rate was excellent value.

Didn't like the choice of in room beverages

Good food, Helpful staff. Chalet/bedsit type accommodation. Room clean/tidy but outdated. Park car right outside the room. 5min taxi to Coalville. Definitely worth using again.

The only meal option was in the bar which was busy & noisy - I know it's probably difficult to arrange but a room service option would have been a welcome bonus.

Good price (for the night I stayed). Handy location and individual chalets you can park more or less right outside.

The rooms are in desperate need of updating, although the room was clean, the wallpaper was hanging off the wall and damp batches come through, I don't think this would cost much to fix. Also, no soaps in room, there are soap dispensers on the wall in ghe shower and by the hand basin, both just contained empty containers with dried up soap in it and looked like they had been like that for quite some time. These are silly little things that I feel are unnecessary.

Staff were lovely and very helpful

We regretted eating at the hungry house located next to the hotel Although the staff there are extremely pleasant and the bar is reasonably priced the food itself tasted extremely cheap i wouldn't here eat again

motel style room providing lots of privacy, room a decent size and was clean, all facilities worked as told. The room is excellent for the price and the staff are very polite and helpful

Wifi was poor - basically non existant. This is an important aspect for booking. Not very impressed.

Didn't realise this was a motel. First unit was dirty in bathroom and no second persons towels. Moved to another room again no towels for second person. it took hours for this to arrive. food was ok . No more no less .

Good position close to motorway, very reasonably priced for an overnight stopover. Rooms were in courtyard behind the hotel with parking right outside. Room was clean and bed comfortable. Would definitely stay again

Better pillows

Cheap & cheerful accommodation. We stayed here to attend the 80s & 90s festival. It cost us between £10-£15 in a taxi to Cattows Farm which we were happy with as we didn't want to camp.

There was nothing that I didn't like

The staff were amazing The food was better than I expected in fact really good definitely value for money The bed was comfy and the room was clean I just think the whole place could do with some TLC a little updating

Had specially booked and received confirmation of room with walk in shower due to mobility problems - to get into the room was a higher than usual step with a bath. When asked the chain do not have any rooms suitable for disabled and the receptionist could find my email request but not the reply - yet I was still booked into room with high step entrance. Accomodation was motel style with rooms accessed from outside, mine also had a room above which I assume had no sound insulation between as you could hear every footstep

Breakfast was good Clean accomodation

Everything was perfect

The staff couldn't do enough for us. All friendly and helpful. Absolutely loved our stay and yet again we cannot wait for our next visit.

Stayed here for a family wedding nice little chalets good food didn't see much of area as was just attending wedding and catching up with family would stay again!

The fixed shower over the bath - I prefer a detachable one, but this is a personal preference.

The beds were very comfortable and a good size. I did not walk around the property's neighbourhood, so can't rate it. The next door Hungry Horse provided a good dinner menu, and an adequate continental breakfast.

No bowls out or small plates for breakfast long wait on staff. Cutlery arrived as we were finishing breakfast. Didn't wait for the cooked breakfast or staff took ages to come round to take order.

Plenty of tea and coffee in the rooms. Good flow of hot water nice shower gel. Clean bedding and towels.

Staff friendly and helpful However bed wasn't comfy it had a dip in the middle of mattress We went for breakfast that was good value but wasn't very hot

Nothing. Would definitely stay again if we were passing that way.

Rooms were exceptionally clean and very comfortable. They look a bit dated from the outside but once inside were lovely. The reception staff were very friendly and even offered us extra tea, coffee, milk, etc for our room, which for us, was a bonus and much better than the 2 of everything the bigger hotel chains give you. The food in the restaurant dinner was great value for money and good quality. The breakfast was just right as well.

Everything was great

My Husband left his wallet and the manager called us immediately to inform us and sent it back through the post 5 * customer service.

The "round the houses" bus trip to Burton , but the Charnwood Arms has no influence over this !!

I was travelling by public transport and Charnwood Arms is on the Leicester to Burton-on-Trent 29/29A bus service which runs frequently . My motel style room was small but clean and comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities , the bathroom was clean and in my case had a bath (which I prefer) . My room was out of the main building but only a few yards away so no problem. The Charnwood Arms is a Hungry Horse food pub and it was quite busy on a July Friday evening . I ate there and the food was as to be expected , reasonable basic chain pub food that was fair value for money . The drinks prices were good (particularly for someone living in the South East) and there were some well kept real ales on offer. I did not have breakfast there as I caught a fairly early bus on to Burton . I can imagine it is a popular one-night stopover for travellers on the M1 which is a few minutes drive away. On the deal I got I considered it to be a good value one night stay .

Original room had ants all over bathroom, including towels. We were upgraded to a bigger room but cleanliness was not good.

Staff did best to be helpful

tv reception wasn't brilliant and kept on breaking up , Manager did come out even though it was late and try to fix it ,did see some improvement , thankyou for that

was a litttle worried as the room looked a little dated from the outside but was pleasantly surprised ,was clean and spacious inside with hairdryer and iron , plenty of milk for the coffee

Unfortunately it was too hot for me, however this was mainly due to the very hot weather we have been having. The pillows were a bit too thick and firm for my liking.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and the property is in a great location for the M1.

The room was tired and in urgent need of refurbishment. The bathroom was atrocious: there was considerable evidence of mould; the light over the washbasin was in a dangerous state and could give an electric shock; the plug in the basin didn't hold the water in; the plug in the bath was not fixed to it and there was no anti-slip in the bath.

Enjoyed my 2 night stay very little. The only good thing was a comfortable bed!

Dinner was terrible! Lots of kids running around the restaurant shouting. Lamb steaks were raw and very fatty. Inedible. Fries and salad were good. Told the waitress it was the worst piece of meat I've ever been served. Manager offered me a free drink as compensation. Full refund would have been more appropriate. And a free drink!

Plumbing was weirdly noisy from the adjoining chalets and there also seemed to be an adjoining door (locked) between ours and the next chalet - luckily our neighbours were quiet but looked like it wouldnt be very soundproof Thought we had booked a room including breakfast but then a charge of £31.96 appeared on my debit card after we had checked out! Apparently it is a fault of booking.com and has happened to other customers - however the hotel never told us when we checked in that breakfast was chargeable and we were not given a menu at breakfast with any prices on, so assumed it was included. The breakfast itself was not great and included cold beans, tasteless/watery scrambled egg, and a rather dry sausage. The second day I only had bacon and a hash brown because the rest wasnt too good. Had we known it was costing £7.99 each per day we certainly would not have ordered it the second day!! Only one bath towel in our room (booked for 2 people) - didnt realise until got out of the shower, so we had to share! It's a budget place - you get what you pay for!

Good comfy bed Good value for money (although an extreme difference in price of the saturday and sunday night) Easy to find - close to motorway junction Plenty of parking right outside our chalet Staff were very pleasant and helpful

Bathroom sealer around the radiator looked grubby and dirty. The room didn't have a great smell. Towels and sheets had stains Couldn't keep the window open as there are a rave going on from about 4pm till 10pm and then from 3 am to about 8 am so no sleep.

The rooms were dated. The soundproofing was terrible between the rooms and I could hear every footfall, cupboard opening, even the toilet flushing and the residents were insomniacs, so I didn't get any sleep. There was a leak in the bathroom from upstairs which soaked my bathroom, I even got dripped on while on the loo. Staff admitted the insulation was poor but denied knowing about the leak (the hole where the water came through was rusty, so had been there some time).

It was convenient

The rooms aren't soundproof at all due to doors adjoining them. This meant lots of late night and early mornings awakenings and hearing other people's conversations word for word.

Clean, comfortable. Good location for the festival we were attending. Handy being on same location as a pub/restaurant.

the rooms were a little dated, breakfast was far too early on a bank holiday Monday finishing at 9am

easy to find staff were helpful getting a local taxi company. rooms were clean and bed was comfortable

Good easy to find location. Very clean. Super Staff right from the greeting when we arrived to the goodbye when we left. We also ate in the restaurant and were very pleased with the quality and price of the food. The room was like a chalet but that probably made it a little better for us.

All good

Room 10 huge and comfortable separate lounge and bedroom very good room but is showing some ware and tear. Overall the hotel was good value and well positioned

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

All rooms in a chalet style but all had an internal sharing door with the next room. Whilst this may be good for families, for couples/lone travellers who want privacy it's not ideal. The walls are very thin and I was kept awake by coughing and snoring from the chap next door. Also, whilst it is situated on an industrial estate, the majority of guests were contractors who didn't have a volume control...

Usual amenities provided. Attached to a Hungry Horse restaurant chain. Good value for money menu.

Needs total revamp - very tired rooms - food as you'd expect from a Hungary horse pub - not worth shouting about - cheap and cheerful

Clean comfortable bed

Door opens to outside rather than corridor. Wouldn't normally be a problem but our neighbours had a van with 3-4 dogs in parked outside which barked through the night

Radiator in bathroom. Too many rooms have cold damp bathrooms

The room was very dusty, dust balls in and around the lamps the lamps were all slanted, one bedside table missing. Heating was on full blast with no way of turning it off, had to leave windows wide open when we went out even though chalets open for anyone to walk around so not very safe. Only one bath towel and one hand towel provided. Free wifi offered on internet but nothing about it in the room. Also does offer iron in the property which didnt work when came to using it.

Bed very comfy, extra pillows offered,wardrobe space very good, spacious room.

The room smelt of bleach and the thing the bleach had cleaned. Took quarter of an hour for someone to come and book me in. Walls paper thin in room. Restaurant had 40min wait and was extremely busy.

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

The room was cold as the door had a gap which allowed a breeze through. Whilst the radiator in the bathroom worked the one in the bedroom didn't. As for the food at the Charnwood, it belongs to the Hungry Horse chain. I decided to have lunch there and wished I hadn't. It advertised whole tail scampi but what I had seemed to be scampi bites and the chips were clearly frozen ones that had spent a few minutes in the oven. I had bad heartburn for the rest of the day and didn't bother with dinner that night. As to breakfast - I had the vegetarian cooked breakfast which was good. Although it would be improved by having proper coffee available instead of sachets and hot water for a diy approach. I also had a pint of Old Speckled Hen following my stay which I had to leave as this tasted nothing like it should. All in all a disappointing experience which was certainly not worth the £62 per night paid. I will not be returning as a guest.

The location was very convenient for my office. Unfortunately I have recently had an operation which has meant I can't drive for a few weeks, so chose the Charnwood for its location within walking distance of the Barratts Developments offices.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

There was no thermostat to turn the bedroom radiator up or down but we managed to do it with a keyring and was great when we got it working

It was nice being able to park right outside. Showers were powerful and heating good. We had a nice quiet room out the back.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Let's be honest it's not the Ritz but I have stayed at many much worse hotels and paid very much more.

This place is clean simple convenient and very cheap. At £35 a night

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

You could hear the traffic from main road

The rooms were very comfortable and the receptionist very pleasant and helpful all in all a very good experience will use them again

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

Bed was uncomfortable. Pillows were far too hard, could not settle. Room above was extremely noisy all week. Gave feedback and staff knew already about the problems.

Food in pub was fairly priced. Plenty to choose from on menu.